PDA

View Full Version : Why the Southland will come down to Demons and Kats again

blackfordpu
July 31st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Great article from the Huntsville Item on the 2005 Southland outlook.

Barfield: It's Demons, Kats again in '05
By Jason Barfield/Sports Editor

The consensus around the Southland Conference seems to be the Northwestern State Demons are the clear-cut favorites to win the league this year, and why not?

The team is absolutely loaded on defense with six starters on the first team All-SLC alone. Plus they feature one of the top return men in the nation in Toby Zeigler. On offense, the Demons get back starting quarterback Davon Vinson for his third campaign under center. He has first-team All-SLC receiver Derrick Doyle and second-teamer Zeigler at his disposal. In the backfield, Vinson will have Shelton Sampson to hand the ball off to. Last season Sampson played in the shadow of Derrick Johnese, but still carried for 678 yards and ran for a team-high 11 touchdowns.

It is clear to see why the Demons are picked to repeat as Southland Conference champs once the season rolls around. The rest of the league is not as easy to read.

full story: http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/07/31/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 31st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Great article from the Huntsville Item on the 2005 Southland outlook.

Barfield: It's Demons, Kats again in '05
By Jason Barfield/Sports Editor

The consensus around the Southland Conference seems to be the Northwestern State Demons are the clear-cut favorites to win the league this year, and why not?

The team is absolutely loaded on defense with six starters on the first team All-SLC alone. Plus they feature one of the top return men in the nation in Toby Zeigler. On offense, the Demons get back starting quarterback Davon Vinson for his third campaign under center. He has first-team All-SLC receiver Derrick Doyle and second-teamer Zeigler at his disposal. In the backfield, Vinson will have Shelton Sampson to hand the ball off to. Last season Sampson played in the shadow of Derrick Johnese, but still carried for 678 yards and ran for a team-high 11 touchdowns.

It is clear to see why the Demons are picked to repeat as Southland Conference champs once the season rolls around. The rest of the league is not as easy to read.

full story: http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/07/31/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt

Smells like some home cookin to me. Is this your school paper or the city paper?

Regardless, the Huntsville Item is nothing more than toilet tissue. We're not "San Marcos" and they have the most retarded journalism standards that I've ever seen (see "San Marcos" when referring to Texas State) AND...he forgot to mention we have almost ALL of our starters back. Sounds like some slanted journalism to me...

But whatever. Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, right?

kats89
July 31st, 2005, 12:54 PM
Smells like some home cookin to me. Is this your school paper or the city paper?

Regardless, the Huntsville Item is nothing more than toilet tissue. We're not "San Marcos" and they have the most retarded journalism standards that I've ever seen (see "San Marcos" when referring to Texas State) AND...he forgot to mention we have almost ALL of our starters back. Sounds like some slanted journalism to me...

But whatever. Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, right?

Oh brother, here we go again! :deadhorse

TxSt02
July 31st, 2005, 01:36 PM
"San Marcos" how cute that is... sounds the same as when aTm calls Texas "TU" you guys are all d-bags and I hope you all rot in hell! ok maybe not rot in hell...

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Anyone else find it funny that the San Marcos fishwrap used the Huntsville Item story in their paper? And they continue to berate our newspaper in H'ville? I guess they realize talent when they see it...

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/articles/2005/07/31/sports/sports3.txt

Retro
July 31st, 2005, 03:29 PM
If you want to go by what Newspaper writers say, then Wait till Gary Laney of the Lake Charles American Press makes his predictions. As far as Beat writers, he's the most objective in the SLC and the most knowledgable.

TexasTerror
July 31st, 2005, 05:57 PM
The Lake Charles paper wrote a great story on SHSU HC Todd Whitten last week. Good guy!

TxSt02
July 31st, 2005, 06:25 PM
The Lake Charles paper wrote a great story on SHSU HC Todd Whitten last week. Good guy!

I hope you are talking about the Lake Charles writer because Whitten has a mark or two from what I have heard...

Sam_Kats
July 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM
Right...we should listen to the TSU fans when it comes to having a reputable coach!!! Give me a break. Forget all the articles & predictions...they mean SQUAT. Let's play ball.

blackfordpu
July 31st, 2005, 09:10 PM

Got a link for that story Terror?

exbearkat
July 31st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Got a link for that story Terror?
Well, if you would decide to visit the most popular SH sports site (as always, link below) once in a while, you would have seen this days ago... :cool:

http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=484&Itemid=184

blackfordpu
August 1st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Well, if you would decide to visit the most popular SH sports site (as always, link below) once in a while, you would have seen this days ago... :cool:

http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=484&Itemid=184

I tried visiting the forum and even tried registering, but it never lets me register. If you can help with that then I would be glad to visit more often. :)

exbearkat
August 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
I tried visiting the forum and even tried registering, but it never lets me register. If you can help with that then I would be glad to visit more often. :)
As I've stated numerous times on this board, you are the only one that has ever reported a problem with registering.

Anyway, just click on the link in my signature, click on the message board link in the menu, and then enter the info requested. It only takes a matter of seconds to complete. I'll get the email requesting access, and will obviously approve it. The site will then email you at the address you registered from letting you know you can now sign on and post messages.

It's pretty simple - really. :D

exbearkat
August 1st, 2005, 09:55 AM
I thought this was the most popular SHSU site... :D
Hey, it's a far cry from 2 years ago when I was the lone SH representative on this board.... :nod: :)

blackfordpu
August 1st, 2005, 11:32 AM
As I've stated numerous times on this board, you are the only one that has ever reported a problem with registering.

Anyway, just click on the link in my signature, click on the message board link in the menu, and then enter the info requested. It only takes a matter of seconds to complete. I'll get the email requesting access, and will obviously approve it. The site will then email you at the address you registered from letting you know you can now sign on and post messages.

It's pretty simple - really. :D

There, it finally friggin worked, now activate me so I can post! :) ;)

exbearkat
August 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM
YOU'RE IN! :nod:

kats89
August 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM
"San Marcos" how cute that is... sounds the same as when aTm calls Texas "TU" you guys are all d-bags and I hope you all rot in hell! ok maybe not rot in hell...

Now you are getting personal. Why don't you and your buds lighten up a little.

TxSt02
August 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Now you are getting personal. Why don't you and your buds lighten up a little.

Well some of you are D-Bags and that will always stand... But come on, you should know that I am having a little fun with you guys!

blackfordpu
August 1st, 2005, 01:45 PM
Well some of you are D-Bags and that will always stand... But come on, you should know that I am having a little fun with you guys!

A little smiley at the end of your insults would go a long way. (like this :) )

blackfordpu
August 1st, 2005, 01:45 PM
YOU'RE IN! :nod:

Thank you, GOSH! ;)

CosmoVixen24
August 1st, 2005, 09:12 PM
A little smiley at the end of your insults would go a long way. (like this :) )

People out in San Marcos don't know how to do that. :nod: