PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach To Bicycle Across Country

Cooper
April 10th, 2007, 08:02 AM
xreadx Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens leaves right after spring ball in early May to ride from San Diego to New Hampshire. He plans to average 160 miles per day. Story on the Big Green Alert blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/).

Cobblestone
April 10th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Nice to see a football coach who stays in shape. Somehow I just couldn't see Tim Stowers doing this.

Pard4Life
April 10th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Well I guess he must not have that much to do.. and I guess that's why Dartmouth sucks, plays the same schedule for the next 25 years, and has no hope of being good... ugh.. xsmhx

Go...gate
April 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Good job for Breast Cancer awareness! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Awesome story I hope he makes it that would be really impressive and nice work... but dont the football need him???

813Jag
April 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I'm sure alot of football coaches need to ride bicycles cross countryxlolx But really that's great Breast Cancer awareness is needed.

CrunchGriz
April 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well, more power to Coach Teevens. Being a cyclist myself, I'd venture that a 160 mile day is probably harder than running a marathon (except for the muscles/joint pounding you'd take running marathons), so he's essentially putting out the equivalent effort to running 30 straight marathons. It's great for breast cancer awareness, but it sounds a bit nutty to me. He must be in great shape.

RAAM (Race Across America) is the extreme of this--the record is under eight and a half days to race completely across the U.S. This type of lunacy comes complete with sleepless nights and rolling hallucinations--what fun!

Uncle Buck
April 10th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I worked with a guy at Centreville HS named Karl Studt who was a counselor and avid cyclist. He went one summer cross country on a bike, he was an odd bird but a great guy. Best of luck to the coach in his journey.

Ivytalk
April 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Well I guess he must not have that much to do.. and I guess that's why Dartmouth sucks, plays the same schedule for the next 25 years, and has no hope of being good... ugh.. xsmhx

He's running away from Dirt-mouth! I guess he figures if he passes through Iowa, he'll apply for the UNI job!xcoolx

Seawolf97
April 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I know its for a great cause but who is minding the store ? Wish him all the luck .

GOKATS
April 10th, 2007, 10:09 PM
If he thinks he can do it in a month, what the hell..... it's a good cause and if he has his ducks in order(coaching and team wise) it's not a real crucial month. Best time of the year to do something else.xthumbsupx

g-webb1994
April 11th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Wonder what the Old Ball Coach thinks of his former assistant's bike ride?

Good for Teevens though, not bad PR for Dartmouth either.

Cooper
April 12th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I know its for a great cause but who is minding the store ? Wish him all the luck .

Apparently he's been looking into a special cellphone/bike helmet deal that will allow him to make recruiting calls and stay in touch while riding. Amazing.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Apparently he's been looking into a special cellphone/bike helmet deal that will allow him to make recruiting calls and stay in touch while riding. Amazing.
that would be really cool if he could pull that helmet thing off

when does actually get started with this thing or has it already begin

Cooper
April 17th, 2007, 07:17 AM
when does actually get started with this thing or has it already begin

Spring practice ends May 5. He flied out May 6 and starts the ride back May 7.

A note on the Green Alert website says he ran the St. Louis Marathon on Sunday.

EastCoast
April 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Teevens is in great shape and competitive. Played football (qb) and hockey in college (Dartmouth). Still runs, bikes and works out alot. Low body fat. Plans to do some recruiting along the way. Assume he plans to be back in Hanover for the freinds-of-football golf event in mid-June.

160 miles per days sounds like alot of biking, even for a very fit and competitive 49 or 50 year old.

Responding to a few other comments above, Dartmouth is clawing its way back into competitiveness. While it didn't win many games last year, it was in all but 3 games into the 4th quarter. Having its prior year starting qb flunk out last spring, and losing its starting qb to injury in the first game last fall, hurt last year. The prior-year starter is now back in school, but may or may not get his starting job back. Recruiting under Teevens has gone fairly well, and the admissions office has been cooperating--especially in contrast to the lack of cooperation before Teevens returned to Dartmouth. Dartmouth had new field turf last year, and will have the new stands, weight room and football/athletic offices on the east side by this fall. The weight room will be one of the largest and nicest in the country.

As for scheduling, while the college administration was not willing to get out of the UNH game in order to schedule Montana for this coming fall, there is now a commitment to change future scheduling. Teevens wants to play games in Ca., the West, the Mideast and/or the South every year. My guess is that Dartmouth will break out of its scheduling rut in 2008.

blukeys
April 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Teevens is in great shape and competitive. Played football (qb) and hockey in college (Dartmouth). Still runs, bikes and works out alot. Low body fat. Plans to do some recruiting along the way. Assume he plans to be back in Hanover for the freinds-of-football golf event in mid-June.

160 miles per days sounds like alot of biking, even for a very fit and competitive 49 or 50 year old.

It's very doable to maintain 16-18 MPH over an 8 to 10 hr biking day. He does need to be fortunate with the weather and hope he gets the westerly winds one should get so that he has the wind at his back most of the time especially in the mid west.

At some stage he is going to have to deal with some hills and I hope his weight is really low because that more than anything kills you when climbing.

Cooper
May 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Green Alert blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/) has a link to a Sports Illustrated.com story on the ride. There's some hilarious stuff in there.

Chi Panther
May 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
My pops done it twice.....the first time in 28 days from Oceanside, CA to Daytona Beach, FL.....

Cooper
May 8th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Starting two hours after he planned and making the decision to stop early because of 60 miles of desert ahead, Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens still covered 115 miles on day one of a planned 3,600-mile bicycle trip from San Diego to New Hampshire. Teevens is being accompanied for the first 10 days or so by former Cincinnati Bengals head coach David Shula. First of a continuing series of stories about the ride today on the Green Alert blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com).

Cooper
May 14th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Green Alert blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com) reports bicycling Dartmouth football head coach is in Kansas on cross country ride. He has averaged 175 miles the last two days after getting through the mountains and desert.

Green26
May 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Teevens had dropped to 162 pounds before his trip. He normally weighs in the 180's. He ran a marathon, I believe with his daugther, 2 (or 3) weeks before he began his bike trip. I see his partner for the first week, Dave Shula, said that he believes Teevens will make it to New Hampshire by the end of May. I have some biking friends who don't believe Teevens can do this--without having trained under a specific biking regimen, without a support vehicle, and due to having used most of his stored energy in the recent marthaton, as well as other reasons.

Cooper
May 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
A series of photos of Dartmouth Coach Buddy Teevens and former Cincy Bengals Coach David Shula on their bicycle ride have been posted on the Green Alert Blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com).

Cooper
May 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
After a 175-mile day, Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens hit Ohio this morning. He's on pace to complete his ride in his allotted 24 or so days. He's also raised a lot of money for cancer research. Check out the Green Alert blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com).

Cooper
May 24th, 2007, 06:14 PM
The Dartmouth football coach has made it to New York State and is expecting to arrive in Hanover, N.H., Sunday at the end of a 3,000-mile plus bicycle ride from San Diego. So far more than $8,000 has been donated to the fight against cancer by people inspired by his ride. Sunday will be the 21st day of his trip. More on the Green Alert blog (http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/). There was a story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07144/788572-140.stm) today. And if you missed it, the SI.com story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/04/25/dartmouth.teevens/index.html) before the coach took off was pretty funny.