PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State vs Samford in 2019 FCS Kickoff Classic

dewey
January 9th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Youngstown State vs Samford in 2019 FCS Kickoff Classic per a Dom Izzo tweet.

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1083118851196370944?s=20

Dewey

TheKingpin28
January 9th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Youngstown State vs Samford in 2019 FCS Kickoff Classic per a Dom Izzo tweet.

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1083118851196370944?s=20

Dewey

Over under on Pelini losing it on national tv?

Schism55
January 9th, 2019, 05:11 PM
This is a real snoozer....

SU DOG
January 9th, 2019, 05:44 PM
This is a real snoozer....

Speak for yourself. It definitely isn't for some of us.

Paladin1aa
January 9th, 2019, 06:33 PM
YSU will have the same problems again - weak at QB, exceptionally weak at OL and will be missing some key D players. Recruiting has not gone well so far for YSU. Looking at YSUs schedule ,they have easy games at 2,3, & 4 which may make them look better against subpar competition. This game however will be too much for their inexperience, lesser talent and weak coaching early.

Samford, who just finished 6-5, will be the favorite with lots of returning starters over YSU who finished 4-7. Neutral field is still in Alabama, giving them a near home game. As an opener, it should be competitive early, but Bulldogs should take this one.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2019, 06:40 PM
Over under on Pelini losing it on national tv?Over/under on attendance - 3/4 empty stadium...less or more?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
January 9th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Over/under on attendance - 3/4 empty stadium...less or more?

Push

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2019, 06:47 PM
PushYou want me to put $50 on that?

TheKingpin28
January 9th, 2019, 06:54 PM
You want me to put $50 on that?

Nevah. If I had to guess, considering it seats 21k total, and they held between 13000-13500, if you put the median at 13250, that would be more of a fair bet. I think this, with Samford being 1.5 hours away and holding 6.5k, I don't think this game hits 13250, but I do think it can get to 10k.

FUBeAR
January 9th, 2019, 07:14 PM

“3/4 empty stadium” means attendance of < 6,250 in the 25,000 seat Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, AL

13,500 attended last year’s Kickoff Classic in the same venue with JaxSt vs. NC AT&T
12,952 attended the 2017 game in the same venue with JaxSt vs. Chattanooga

Samford averaged 5,426 at Home in 2018 with a largest crowd of 8,717 (including FUBeAR) in a Stadium that is 88 miles from the Cramton Bowl.

The game is ‘produced’ by the Camellia Bowl, which is owned & operated by ESPN Events, a Division of ESPN, and they have a nice website: https://www.guardiankickoffclassic.com/

Attendance at this year’s Camellia Bowl game between GaSou & E. Michigan was 17,710.

FUBeAR will, confidently, take the OVER.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Nevah. If I had to guess, considering it seats 21k total, and they held between 13000-13500, if you put the median at 13250, that would be more of a fair bet. I think this, with Samford being 1.5 hours away and holding 6.5k, I don't think this game hits 13250, but I do think it can get to 10k.

21k capacity x 25% occupancy = 5,250...and you bet a push on 75% empty.

FUBeAR
January 9th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Found varying capacity info. City of Montgomery says 25,000. Wikipedia says 21,000 AND 25,000. Went with the city’s number. If capacity is actually 21,000, then FUBeAR will even more confidently bet the over 5,250 side!

TheKingpin28
January 9th, 2019, 07:31 PM
21k capacity x 25% occupancy = 5,250...and you bet a push on 75% empty.

I wasn't being serious on the push which is why I said it can hit 10k but it wont hit 13250.

FUBeAR
January 9th, 2019, 08:04 PM
I wasn't being serious on the push which is why I said it can hit 10k but it wont hit 13250.
Dang - guess I’ll buy a PowerBall ticket with my $2 then.

They SHOULD be able to get over 13,250, but I wouldn’t bet that. 10k is probably a good over/under line.

ASU33
January 9th, 2019, 08:58 PM
Pretty interesting match up!

SU DOG
January 9th, 2019, 09:03 PM
I hope Montgomery does some really innovative marketing. I hate to admit it, but Samford will not bring the following that JSU did - not even close.

ASU33
January 9th, 2019, 09:05 PM

I think you get between 6,000-8,500 for this one.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2019, 09:11 PM
I think you get between 6,000-8,500 for this one.3x the DXL Frisco Bowl...so they'll have that going for them.

dewey
January 9th, 2019, 09:14 PM
Pretty interesting match up!

I agree. Couple of teams that were down this year but from good conferences.

Dewey

ASU33
January 9th, 2019, 09:22 PM
I hope Montgomery does some really innovative marketing. I hate to admit it, but Samford will not bring the following that JSU did - not even close.

This game would look a lot better in Homewood instead of an empty stadium in Montgomery.

ysubigred
January 10th, 2019, 07:55 AM
My family and the traveling squad from Dayton will be there so that will be at least 17 YSU fans xdizzyx

Hey Pali! I have your ticket if you want to be there. Hell I'll even arrange the transportation down.

Paladin1aa
January 10th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Save your money, Red. I doubt YSU brings more than 100. This past season saw several games where less than 1000 were in attendance At HOME games. Not only is the talent level down, but support has cratered. Thank the AD for that. The heydays of big crowds following YSU are over with.

I am public in declaring I refuse to attend a game while moRon remains the AD. Been that way for several years now for both MBB and football. Fans have voted with their feet. That’s a fact and a reality. Good luck to YSU.

ysubigred
January 10th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Save your money, Red. I doubt YSU brings more than 100. This past season saw several games where less than 1000 were in attendance At HOME games. Not only is the talent level down, but support has cratered. Thank the AD for that. The heydays of big crowds following YSU are over with.

I am public in declaring I refuse to attend a game while moRon remains the AD. Been that way for several years now for both MBB and football. Fans have voted with their feet. That’s a fact and a reality. Good luck to YSU.

I can respect that. Change your mind PM me.

JSUSoutherner
January 10th, 2019, 02:34 PM

JSU could only half fill the stadium.

We average more than the Fargodome and are north of 20k in home attendance on the regular.

This game will have 4,000 at MOST.

MR. CHICKEN
January 10th, 2019, 03:40 PM
JSU could only half fill the stadium.

We average more than the Fargodome and are north of 20k in home attendance on the regular.

This game will have 4,000 at MOST.

.........TV....AN’.......SUMMERTIME’ll.......DO DAT.......AWK

JSUSoutherner
January 10th, 2019, 04:06 PM
.........TV....AN’.......SUMMERTIME’ll.......DO DAT.......AWK

Nobody cares outside of the fans of the schools that it's on ESPN.

Summer in late August in the South is a con, not a pro.

It was hotter than **** at that game last year.

ElCid
January 10th, 2019, 09:42 PM
So why is the kickoff classic locked into Montgomery? It should be floating to where ever the most intriguing match-up is occurring. Not saying this is a necessarily a bad one, but given the attendance history of the participants, it really will be a flop.

JSUSoutherner
January 10th, 2019, 11:46 PM
So why is the kickoff classic locked into Montgomery? It should be floating to where ever the most intriguing match-up is occurring. Not saying this is a necessarily a bad one, but given the attendance history of the participants, it really will be a flop.

Because Montgomery pays for it.

MR. CHICKEN
January 11th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Nobody cares outside of the fans of the schools that it's on ESPN.

Summer in late August in the South is a con, not a pro.

It was hotter than **** at that game last year.

........AH WAS REFERRIN'....TA FANS UH DUH SKOOLS......NOT NATIONAL AUDIENCE......xsighx....AWK!

........SUMMERTIME.....WAS MEANT...AS "HOT AS HELL".....AN' ON TV........WILL DING ATTENDANCE....xsighx....BRAWK!

.......MAYBEAH BUY UH CHICKEN DICTIONARY..........TA GET WHAT AH'M SAYIN'.........xsighxxsighx......BRAWK!

dgtw
January 11th, 2019, 06:27 AM
Speak for yourself. It definitely isn't for some of us.

Just glad I don’t have to go this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
January 11th, 2019, 06:36 AM
........AH WAS REFERRIN'....TA FANS UH DUH SKOOLS......NOT NATIONAL AUDIENCE......xsighx....AWK!

........SUMMERTIME.....WAS MEANT...AS "HOT AS HELL".....AN' ON TV........WILL DING ATTENDANCE....xsighx....BRAWK!

.......MAYBEAH BUY UH CHICKEN DICTIONARY..........TA GET WHAT AH'M SAYIN'.........xsighxxsighx......BRAWK!

My chicken scratch needs work. xlolx

ysubigred
January 11th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Dude come on it was plain and simple Banni Roster :D

ElCid
January 11th, 2019, 08:20 AM
Because Montgomery pays for it.

So are they locked in or can another city compete with them? If they wanted to. They got lock with the NCAA or can it be competitive? I guess that was my point.

Paladin1aa
January 11th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Since it being paid for, I’m guessing that travel expenses for both teams are covered ? And is a check being provided as well ? Seems ESPN got the bucks.

JSUSoutherner
January 11th, 2019, 08:38 AM
So are they locked in or can another city compete with them? If they wanted to. They got lock with the NCAA or can it be competitive? I guess that was my point.

I'm not sure, I'm not savvy on the particulars but from what I understand Montgomery reached out to ESPN because they wanted an event for the Cramton Bowl. Hence why this "kickoff classic" isn't played in on campus stadiums. I don't know how long the contract is for but I've heard rumors we are back in the thing in 2020 so who friggin knows.

SU DOG
January 11th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Considering the source, the irony of this post is what makes it hilarious. xlolx

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2019, 11:46 AM
In doing a little research on the attendance numbers it became apparent to me that this event and many Bowl games are actually just “Reality TV.” ESPN Events OWNS this event and about 30 others which ‘live,’ primarily, to provide content around which ESPN can sell advertising.

So, the venue is an expense item for them, like the resort where contestants on “The Bachelor” stay. I’m sure they bid these out periodically and negotiate contracts with the owners of the facilities (in this case, the City of Montgomery, AL). If the venue owner(s) wants an event badly enough, this may become a contra expense for ESPN Events. I would guess the bowl games they own require NCAA approval as they are post-season events, but if these early season games are just part of 2 Teams’ regular season schedules and they agree to play at a neutral site, the I don’t know that the NCAA has a whole lot of say on the matter. Maybe, because they get ‘the jump’ on other Teams, ahead of the date for ‘allowed games’ on the NCAA calendar, the suits in Indy do have some control, but I would doubt they are dictating the location/venue to ESPN Events.

As in most things related to College Football today, following the money will show you the answer.

SU DOG
January 11th, 2019, 12:23 PM
I can relate this: The NCAA does not give an exemption for this game as counting schedule wise. Last year this game was almost a Samford vs JSU contest. That was aborted, however, when our administration learned that participating would leave us with only 4 home games. This was not acceptable to our folks, so we dropped out of consideration. This, being the 12 game year, might account for our accepting the invitation.

No disrespect for NCA&T, but I wish we could have seen the SU vs JSU match-up. Of course, I expect some smart-alec rebuttal from JSUers, but the way the Gamecocks played that game, I fully believe Samford would have won.

ElCid
January 11th, 2019, 01:54 PM
In doing a little research on the attendance numbers it became apparent to me that this event and many Bowl games are actually just “Reality TV.” ESPN Events OWNS this event and about 30 others which ‘live,’ primarily, to provide content around which ESPN can sell advertising.

So, the venue is an expense item for them, like the resort where contestants on “The Bachelor” stay. I’m sure they bid these out periodically and negotiate contracts with the owners of the facilities (in this case, the City of Montgomery, AL). If the venue owner(s) wants an event badly enough, this may become a contra expense for ESPN Events. I would guess the bowl games they own require NCAA approval as they are post-season events, but if these early season games are just part of 2 Teams’ regular season schedules and they agree to play at a neutral site, the I don’t know that the NCAA has a whole lot of say on the matter. Maybe, because they get ‘the jump’ on other Teams, ahead of the date for ‘allowed games’ on the NCAA calendar, the suits in Indy do have some control, but I would doubt they are dictating the location/venue to ESPN Events.

As in most things related to College Football today, following the money will show you the answer.

So if some other city wanted to have their own game a week early, and call it "the Real Kickoff Classic," they could? As long as they get two teams to play a week early?

FUBeAR
January 11th, 2019, 03:35 PM
So if some other city wanted to have their own game a week early, and call it "the Real Kickoff Classic," they could? As long as they get two teams to play a week early?The “week early” is the catch. Unless I’m mistaken, the benevolent & all-holy NCAA publishes an annual calendar which includes the earliest date competitions are allowed for each sport; so they would probably have to grant a waiver to the Teams desiring to participate in your hypothetical city’s game. From my limited experience with the NCAA, they would be more than willing to do that as long as HypoCity paid an appropriate honorarium to them...unless some clause in their agreement(s) with ESPN prevents them from doing that...which it probably does.

So, in theory, “Yes,” but in reality, “No.” Unless HypoCity has & wants to spend enough ‘juice’ to (in reality) buy the rights to such a game from the NCAA AND its Co-Conspirator, ESPN.

katss07
January 11th, 2019, 10:14 PM
What a lame game. Can’t wait to see a high school sized crowd on national tv. Gtfoh with this ****. We need a good game. Send NDSU to Kennesaw or send JMU to Roos.

Penguin Nation
January 11th, 2019, 10:33 PM
I think you could fill the stands by busing in local prison inmates. I doubt Samford would agree to it since they'd all cheer for YSU.

Schism55
January 13th, 2019, 11:17 PM
What a lame game. Can’t wait to see a high school sized crowd on national tv. Gtfoh with this ****. We need a good game. Send NDSU to Kennesaw or send JMU to Roos.
Buy this man a Miller! xnodx

JSUSoutherner
January 13th, 2019, 11:48 PM

EWU is coming to us in week 2.

Bisonator
January 14th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Man ESPN sure knows how to screw up a good thing.xsmhx