View Full Version : Rhody adds Va Tech to schedule

Little Stevie
January 8th, 2019, 10:09 AM
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2019-20/releases/20190107sojpmv

https://fbschedules.com/rhode-island-football-schedule/

B/W that and Ohio game= a ton of cash.

Tim James
January 8th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Only 4 home games as well. Not a good look imo.

Derby City Duke
January 8th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Once again the boys in Blacksburg pass up the opportunity to play JMU. I don't know why they -- and the University of Virginia -- won't schedule JMU. It's been 8 years since we beat VT in Lane Stadium and we haven't been to Charlottesville in 35 years!

I just don't get it.

PaladinFan
January 8th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Just to note, VT is doing something a bit unique among FBS teams - they've scheduled two FCS games.

The Hokies also play Furman next year.

whoanellie
January 8th, 2019, 02:49 PM
I am sure this stems out from the cancellations of the ECU home series. What Virginia schools are scheduling now with Liberty? but I could care less about Falwell U.

CenMEBlackBearFan
January 9th, 2019, 09:15 AM
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2019-20/releases/20190107sojpmv

https://fbschedules.com/rhode-island-football-schedule/

B/W that and Ohio game= a ton of cash.

Maine has to play two FBS schools every year just to keep the program going. Curious what the payout is for VT and Ohio?

Gangtackle11
January 9th, 2019, 03:52 PM
And the private catholic university on the Mainline is not scheduled to play an FBS game next season (a 12 game season to boot) ....color me green with envy......:D xpeacex

Little Stevie
January 9th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Maine is a program to emulate.
regularly in playoffs.
$900K am told (combined)

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 9th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Ohio is a really good FBS game imo. Athens is an awesome college town, Ohio has a beautiful campus and their team is always a tough out with Solich. I'd love for Lehigh to schedule a game with the Bobcats.

Virginia Tech is a check for a beating. URI generally takes a few of those for free from CAA foes anyway...

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Rhode better find a QB to replace Lawson and that can get Aaron Parker the ball

I would say Lawson is going to get some NFL attention..... I saw a stud in that guy especially before he got dinged up

Little Stevie
January 9th, 2019, 07:39 PM
URI generally takes a few of those for free from CAA foes anyway...

Lehigh would finish last in CAA.
Worst team in CAA would finish no worse than 2nd in PAL.

Hen-Lawson is being looked at by pros.

CenMEBlackBearFan
January 10th, 2019, 06:40 AM
regularly in playoffs.
$900K am told (combined)

Thanks for the compliments Little Stevie but I think maybe you are confusing our neighbor to the South maybe with our program when it comes regularly making the playoffs. We have have averaged a playoff team every 3 or 4 years but will say that we are usually in the hunt for the playoffs but regularly not so much. Think we may do more with less than alot of programs xbowx
Out of that 900k would think the VT game is in the 500-600K???
I think the Rhody program has turned the corner and see you guys right with the rest of us which is better for everyone in the CAA!!!

UNHWildcat18
January 10th, 2019, 07:31 AM
is URI going to add a 5th home/12th overall? this year they can do that, might as well schedule an NEC team or pioneer team like marist, get that extra D1 win

MR. CHICKEN
January 10th, 2019, 07:47 AM
And the private catholic university on the Mainline is not scheduled to play an FBS game next season (a 12 game season to boot) ....color me green with envy......:D xpeacex

..........YOUSE 'CATS........WOOD LIKE TA START OUT......0-2....LIKE DUH SHEEP?........DAT GREEN ENVY......BETTERAH BE......BAD SCRAPPLE........xsighx......AWQ!

Little Stevie
January 10th, 2019, 08:24 AM
BlackBear-correct,UNH has been mentioned also as program to emulate. There have been others.
Whoever wins that round robin,has excellent chance of making playoffs. Beating the Northern teams is very important.

KPSUL
January 10th, 2019, 10:47 AM
regularly in playoffs.
$900K am told (combined)

What's your definition of "regularly" ? They make it maybe once every 5 years. That seems like making it occasionally. UNH, JMU, Wofford, JSU, SHSU, NDSU, SDSU, UNI, EWU and MT until recently make it more often than not, I'd say that is regularly.

CenMEBlackBearFan
January 10th, 2019, 11:24 AM
What's your definition of "regularly" ? They make it maybe once every 5 years. That seems like making it occasionally. UNH, JMU, Wofford, JSU, SHSU, NDSU, SDSU, UNI, EWU and MT until recently make it more often than not, I'd say that is regularly.

KPSUL-Think I pretty much acknowledged that already and gave u guys credit on that- see above.

Thanks for the compliments Little Stevie but I think maybe you are confusing our neighbor to the South maybe with our program when it comes regularly making the playoffs. We have have averaged a playoff team every 3 or 4 years but will say that we are usually in the hunt for the playoffs but regularly not so much. Think we may do more with less than alot of programs xbowx
I think the Rhody program has turned the corner and see you guys right with the rest of us which is better for everyone in the CAA!!!

KPSUL
January 10th, 2019, 03:43 PM
KPSUL-Think I pretty much acknowledged that already and gave u guys credit on that- see above.

I posted to the comment before yours. I didn't even read yours before responding. I was merely stating that making the playoffs 3 times in 14 years in a field of less than 100 teams is probably not making it regularly. You said close to the same thing.

Additionally I think it is a mistake for teams to play more than one FBS opponent annually given the selection criteria for making the playoffs. An additional loss, and the potential for missing out on an additional FCS win can have an impact on both selection and seeding. Also playing opponents with more scholarships, and therefore more depth, may also increase injuries. In my opinion this is not something teams should be trying to emulate which was the point of the original post we both commented about.

RootinFerDukes
January 10th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Once again the boys in Blacksburg pass up the opportunity to play JMU. I don't know why they -- and the University of Virginia -- won't schedule JMU. It's been 8 years since we beat VT in Lane Stadium and we haven't been to Charlottesville in 35 years!

I just don't get it.

Probably the same reason why NDSU can’t get any FBS games. They stop answering the phone the moment you beat them. They’re scared.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 10th, 2019, 04:14 PM
URI generally takes a few of those for free from CAA foes anyway...

Hen-Lawson is being looked at by pros.

Colgate went 3-0 against the CAA this year. Lehigh would clearly have finished last or second to last this year given their "situation".

Hopefully URI gets better. The better New England FCS playoff football is the better the CAA and PL will be relative to the rest of the country.

CenMEBlackBearFan
January 11th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I posted to the comment before yours. I didn't even read yours before responding. I was merely stating that making the playoffs 3 times in 14 years in a field of less than 100 teams is probably not making it regularly. You said close to the same thing.

Additionally I think it is a mistake for teams to play more than one FBS opponent annually given the selection criteria for making the playoffs. An additional loss, and the potential for missing out on an additional FCS win can have an impact on both selection and seeding. Also playing opponents with more scholarships, and therefore more depth, may also increase injuries. In my opinion this is not something teams should be trying to emulate which was the point of the original post we both commented about.

UGH, I gave UNH credit for regularly making the playoffs and said not so much for us. No Maine fan wants two FBS games but the administration has done it for revenue purposes and coaching staff has to sell it as a positive to recruits which I guess it can be. We all know it hurts the teams chances of making the playoffs if both are losses.

Gangtackle11
January 11th, 2019, 11:23 AM
..........YOUSE 'CATS........WOOD LIKE TA START OUT......0-2....LIKE DUH SHEEP?........DAT GREEN ENVY......BETTERAH BE......BAD SCRAPPLE........xsighx......AWQ!

JUST ONE FBS GAME NOT TWO .... BTW US CATS WERE 1-0 AFTA BEATING DA OWLS.xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
January 11th, 2019, 04:55 PM
JUST ONE FBS GAME NOT TWO .... BTW US CATS WERE 1-0 AFTA BEATING DA OWLS.xpeacex

......YEAH....WE KNOW.........YOUSE RODE DUH TEMPLE DUBBYA...........TIL YA FINALLY GOT UH CAA WIN....CAA GAME 6.....AH BELIEVE.......xsighx......BRAWK!

ps.......OOOM HOOOM.......'NOVA STILL OWNS DUH HENS.....(SAVED YA DUH RETORT)......BRAWK!

KPSUL
January 11th, 2019, 06:23 PM
UGH, I gave UNH credit for regularly making the playoffs and said not so much for us. No Maine fan wants two FBS games but the administration has done it for revenue purposes and coaching staff has to sell it as a positive to recruits which I guess it can be. We all know it hurts the teams chances of making the playoffs if both are losses.
Just looked at your 2019 schedule and see two FBS games; however, Liberty is one of them and I think I'd put an asterisk next to it. It is a interesting match-up, particularly considering Josh Mack should be in their backfield. Also you have a very favorable conference schedule, playing only 2 of the other 5 2018 CAA playoff teams. No JMU, Delaware or Stony Brook. Also a total of 12 games so you'll still have 10 FCS games even with 2 FBS. I'd say you have a great chance to make the playoff field again.

Gangtackle11
January 12th, 2019, 09:02 AM
......YEAH....WE KNOW.........YOUSE RODE DUH TEMPLE DUBBYA...........TIL YA FINALLY GOT UH CAA WIN....CAA GAME 6.....AH BELIEVE.......xsighx......BRAWK!

ps.......OOOM HOOOM.......'NOVA STILL OWNS DUH HENS.....(SAVED YA DUH RETORT)......BRAWK!

TY MR. CHICKEN......xpeacex

PaladinFan
January 13th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Just looked at your 2019 schedule and see two FBS games; however, Liberty is one of them and I think I'd put an asterisk next to it. It is a interesting match-up, particularly considering Josh Mack should be in their backfield. Also you have a very favorable conference schedule, playing only 2 of the other 5 2018 CAA playoff teams. No JMU, Delaware or Stony Brook. Also a total of 12 games so you'll still have 10 FCS games even with 2 FBS. I'd say you have a great chance to make the playoff field again.

It is fairly common, I think, for a school in a 12 game season year to try and schedule 2 "money" games. Still opportunities to reach the 8 win plateau, which I think is usually the bar for feeling fairly good about playoff inclusion from a major FCS conference.

DFW HOYA
January 13th, 2019, 09:12 AM

It's a faulty argument because the two conferences aren't playing by the same admissions rules.

If Georgetown was allowed to recruit as a CAA school, it could finish in the top half of that conference. But it doesn't, so it's not a valid argument.