PDA

View Full Version : Four reasons NDSU should stay FCS

KPSUL
January 6th, 2019, 10:41 PM
The NCAA is making a small fortune charging a 20% fee on its ticket exchange.

The Allen, Plano, and Frisco hotel industry is cashing in on the normally slow post New Years period.

The rest of the FCS community can make firms plans for the first weekend in January without worrying about unexpected championship celebrations.

It gives AGS members something to rehash when there is nothing else to discuss on the message board.

NDSUtk
January 6th, 2019, 10:46 PM
The NCAA is making a small fortune charging a 20% fee on its ticket exchange.

The Allen, Plano, and Frisco hotel industry is cashing in on the normally slow post New Years period.

The rest of the FCS community can make firms plans for the first weekend in January without worrying about unexpected championship celebrations.

It gives AGS members something to rehash when there is nothing else to discuss on the message board.Great post!!

POD Knows
January 7th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Reason #5 why NDSU should stay FCS:

Akron in the fall

DFW HOYA
January 7th, 2019, 10:51 AM
It's the same reason Mount Union and Mary Hardin-Baylor stay in Division III: it works for them.

FWIW, the MHB stadium is better than a lot of I-AA facilities:

https://tour.umhb.edu/images/IMG_2014102813421_DETL.jpg

Model Citizen
January 7th, 2019, 11:02 AM
A little off topic, but I want to get this straight...

The fans' pronunciation of bison is byes' -en. (right?)
I ask because I heard a TV sports reporter pronouncing it byes-ON. xscanx

Laker
January 7th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Graduating from Buffalo Lake High school, we always pronounced it byes'-en. Or by-zen.

Professor
January 7th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Why would NDSU leave?

Bisonator
January 7th, 2019, 11:20 AM
A little off topic, but I want to get this straight...

The fans' pronunciation of bison is byes' -en. (right?)
I ask because I heard a TV sports reporter pronouncing it byes-ON. xscanx
It's bizen.

JFC why is this so ****ing hard for people to understand. It's been ****ing 8 years and people are still having issues with this ****!

Laker
January 7th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Why would NDSU leave?

That is a great question. Until there is a conference that they would fit into I don't know why there would. And that won't happen unless there is a huge realignment.

dewey
January 7th, 2019, 11:25 AM
That is a great question. Until there is a conference that they would fit into I don't know why there would. And that won't happen unless there is a huge realignment.

Exactly! Also Fargo is not a huge media market that other conferences want to get into like the Big10 going after Rutgers and Marand.

Even if the MWC or MAC invited NDSU I don't think they should go because no G5 has a chance to win a National Championship under the current 4 team playoff system.

Someday when the P5 breaks away I would support NDSU joining the rest of the G5 and being in the 2nd tier of football.

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
January 7th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Now that I think of it, there's a big difference between Georgia Southern, App State and other former FCS schools going FBS than NDSU and that's local interest. NDSU is top dog in North Dakota. GSU/App were not in GA/NC. I can see why they wanted more recognition but NDSU didn't.

Still, I think NDSU overestimates the risk of going FBS. Marshall, App State, and Georgia Southern are collectively 18-2 in bowl games and have multiple conference championships. UMass is an example of a program that moved up without a blue print, but let's be real, NDSU has more in common with Marshall/App/GSU than UMass. Also, I know Marshall may be a controversial example, but if you take out 4 years of institutional mismanagement out of a coach they should have fired after 2 years, Marshall has been a pretty solid program.

Bisonator
January 7th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Another reason, just to piss people off. xlolx

Seriously though why would we want to spend a **** ton more money for marginal gains in exposure. The ROI just doesn't pencil out right now.

ysubigred
January 7th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Unless NDSU can get into a P5 conference why would they leave? Hell the 1FCS, DII or DIII NC and playoff's is better than playing in the #IDGAFTAMPONBOWL.com bowl LOL!!

Silenoz
January 7th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Why would NDSU leave?
To play more than one game every other season that isn't over 14 minutes in?

Maybe EWU or SDSU or MSU will challenge them next year. Probably not though.

And this is still coming from a house that watches a lot of Pitt and Georgia Tech football, so we know all about the pitfalls of meaningless bowls and ****ty Sun Belt games.

Hammerhead
January 7th, 2019, 04:31 PM
With G5 conferences you might get to host a conference championship game and then play in a lower-tier bowl game. In the FCS you can host up to 3 playoff games.

Now that I think of it, there's a big difference between Georgia Southern, App State and other former FCS schools going FBS than NDSU and that's local interest. NDSU is top dog in North Dakota. GSU/App were not in GA/NC. I can see why they wanted more recognition but NDSU didn't.

Still, I think NDSU overestimates the risk of going FBS. Marshall, App State, and Georgia Southern are collectively 18-2 in bowl games and have multiple conference championships. UMass is an example of a program that moved up without a blue print, but let's be real, NDSU has more in common with Marshall/App/GSU than UMass. Also, I know Marshall may be a controversial example, but if you take out 4 years of institutional mismanagement out of a coach they should have fired after 2 years, Marshall has been a pretty solid program.

MTfan4life
January 7th, 2019, 05:07 PM
It's bizen.

JFC why is this so ****ing hard for people to understand. It's been ****ing 8 years and people are still having issues with this ****!

Just listen to people STILL pronounce Gonzaga wrong and you'll realize it takes more than 8 years to get people to know how to say your team's name. Even though they're often referred to as the Zags, they're still called Gonz(ah)ga by 50% of media. So, just assume you'll always be called the Bye-sen by some people! xnodx

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 06:38 PM
Just listen to people STILL pronounce Gonzaga wrong and you'll realize it takes more than 8 years to get people to know how to say your team's name. Even though they're often referred to as the Zags, they're still called Gonz(ah)ga by 50% of media. So, just assume you'll always be called the Bye-sen by some people! xnodxI guess when your aunt has worked for the Zags since you were born (me that is), you just know how to pronounce it properly, even if she is a Griz fan at heart. xlolx (Grew up in Anaconda and went to UM).

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Gil Dobie
January 7th, 2019, 06:49 PM
NDSU, YSU and Montana are tied for second most Championship Game appearances, at 7. Should YSU and Montana move up too?

veinup
January 7th, 2019, 07:12 PM
well said. the Allen, Plano and frisco hotel industries are very close to my heart as well.

SDFS
January 7th, 2019, 07:44 PM
It's bizen.

Is this correct?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/bison

uni88
January 7th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Just listen to people STILL pronounce Gonzaga wrong and you'll realize it takes more than 8 years to get people to know how to say your team's name. Even though they're often referred to as the Zags, they're still called Gonz(ah)ga by 50% of media. So, just assume you'll always be called the Bye-sen by some people! xnodxIs the third A in Appalachian a long or short A?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SUPharmacist
January 8th, 2019, 12:42 AM
It's the same reason Mount Union and Mary Hardin-Baylor stay in Division III: it works for them.

FWIW, the MHB stadium is better than a lot of I-AA facilities:

https://tour.umhb.edu/images/IMG_2014102813421_DETL.jpg

This here. Also, as I saw posted by another in a different thread, as long as a program is following the rules of their level they can compete wherever they want (generally time will expose those that aren't following the rules, hopefully NDSU has been in compliance throughout the run).

Now on the other hand, anytime fans of top FCS programs try to claim schools that do not fund scholarships or choose not to participate in the playoffs do not belong in FCS, they are equally wrong.

Reign of Terrier
January 8th, 2019, 08:14 AM
With G5 conferences you might get to host a conference championship game and then play in a lower-tier bowl game. In the FCS you can host up to 3 playoff games.

The buy out on the bowl games and subsequent exposure probably outweighs the FCS playoffs.

Not to mention when you play FBS you just make more money.

If you go FBS, you'll make more money, possibly play more home regular season games and have to worry about no more than 2-3 post season games, whereas at FCS, if you're decent you play at least 4 games.

One's values may say that competing for a championship blah blah blah is better, but from a financial standpoint it's a no-brainer (if you have the chance). The argument about conference affiliation isn't a bad argument, but I would say it's more of a risk than it is a sure counterpoint.

UNHWildcat18
January 8th, 2019, 08:17 AM
I'm all about FCS getting bigger and better so the big time programs in terms of facilities JMU NDSU UD MU MSU are all good to stay in my book, regardless of the fact that Ive found the playoffs to be getting duller due to NDSU's dominance. Rather keep them and get rid of the merrimacks and marists of the FCS

Reign of Terrier
January 8th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Honestly, if anything, NDSU's dominance may serve as incentive for these bigger programs to move up. Why stick around and compete for a championship if you're not actually going to win one?

UNHWildcat18
January 8th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Honestly, if anything, NDSU's dominance may serve as incentive for these bigger programs to move up. Why stick around and compete for a championship if you're not actually going to win one?

Like who? GSU, Gstate, ODU, APP, and Liberty all had aspirations of FBS before NDSU became a dynasty.

Umass, just a bunch of idiots in my book. I think they are doomed to drop football. They refuse to come back to FCS and No FBS conference will take them.

Laker
January 8th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Like who? GSU, Gstate, ODU, APP, and Liberty all had aspirations of FBS before NDSU became a dynasty.

Umass, just a bunch of idiots in my book. I think they are doomed to drop football. They refuse to come back to FCS and No FBS conference will take them.

Wouldn't it have been better for both UMass and UConn to stay in FCS?

Reign of Terrier
January 8th, 2019, 09:21 AM

App State and GSU did not.

I could see JMU going FBS soon, but that's an obvious one.

UNHWildcat18
January 8th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Wouldn't it have been better for both UMass and UConn to stay in FCS?

tough question to answer, Uconn football is ****ed as well. They aren't going to big ten or ACC. Dropping the program is also more likely than an FCS move for either program.

kalm
January 8th, 2019, 09:49 AM
Still, I think NDSU overestimates the risk of going FBS. Marshall, App State, and Georgia Southern are collectively 18-2 in bowl games and have multiple conference championships.

And 96.3% of FBS fans neither know this or care. xlolx

kalm
January 8th, 2019, 09:52 AM
The buy out on the bowl games and subsequent exposure probably outweighs the FCS playoffs.

If you go FBS, you'll make more money, possibly play more home regular season games and have to worry about no more than 2-3 post season games, whereas at FCS, if you're decent you play at least 4 games.

One's values may say that competing for a championship blah blah blah is better, but from a financial standpoint it's a no-brainer (if you have the chance). The argument about conference affiliation isn't a bad argument, but I would say it's more of a risk than it is a sure counterpoint.

Sorry to single out one of your posts again, YT but for me, 2-3 home playoff games trumps a conference championship and bowl game.

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Sorry to single out one of your posts again, YT but for me, 2-3 home playoff games trumps a conference championship and bowl game.

This year NDSU had 10 home games, 7 regular season and 3 playoffs, next year 6 home games, a neutral site game at Target Field. If they make the playoffs, at least 1 home extra home game.

Sycamore62
January 8th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Stupid ****s FROM Illinois still pronounce the "s". Let alone the people not from there.

Panther88
January 8th, 2019, 10:31 AM
One reason NDSU should NOT move to FBS: Prairie View A&M University.

I'll purchase NDSU gear shortly to show PVAMU athletic staffers what a division-I champion looks like, as they "celebrate on YOUR home turf, in YOUR home state, near the recruiting area you cannot secure higher-caliber talent."

I'm guesstimating that NDSU has been D-I for what... all of ~20 or so years and has amassed nothing but success since the transition from D-II while PVAMU has been D-I for a long duration and cannot get out of its own way as it flounders helplessly w/in its own division, in its own conference, and has only ONE conference championship since 1964. That is remarkably pitiful and highly unacceptable, considering our facilities, academic/campus life, and full athl scholarship funding @ 63 max.

NDSU is the benchmark we hope to achieve, so, please stay so we can catch up to you. And then beat you unmercifully for a return game soonest. :D

POD Knows
January 8th, 2019, 10:43 AM
One reason NDSU should NOT move to FBS: Prairie View A&M University.

I'll purchase NDSU gear shortly to show PVAMU athletic staffers what a division-I champion looks like, as they "celebrate on YOUR home turf, in YOUR home state, near the recruiting area you cannot secure higher-caliber talent."

I'm guesstimating that NDSU has been D-I for what... all of ~20 or so years and has amassed nothing but success since the transition from D-II while PVAMU has been D-I for a long duration and cannot get out of its own way as it flounders helplessly w/in its own division, in its own conference, and has only ONE conference championship since 1964. That is remarkably pitiful and highly unacceptable, considering our facilities, academic/campus life, and full athl scholarship funding @ 63 max.

NDSU is the benchmark we hope to achieve, so, please stay so we can catch up to you. And then beat you unmercifully for a return game soonest. :DNDSU went D1AA in 2004 I think and then had a period where they were ineligible for the playoffs. I want to say we were eligible for the playoffs in 2009 but I might be wrong

Panther88
January 8th, 2019, 11:00 AM
NDSU went D1AA in 2004 I think and then had a period where they were ineligible for the playoffs. I want to say we were eligible for the playoffs in 2009 but I might be wrong

Still a ridiculously short time-frame to enter D-I and become a dominant powerhouse almost overnight. *enter App St posters*

POD Knows
January 8th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Still a ridiculously short time-frame to enter D-I and become a dominant powerhouse almost overnight. *enter App St posters*Yea, it was a pretty short period of time but the 08 and 09 teams were nothing to write home about. The program has a lot of tradition of excellence and that helped in the transition. We were 3 and 8 in 2009 but I remember thinking at the time, you know, these guys aren't that bad and then we won a couple playoff games in 2010.

Next year will be very interesting, we lose a lot this year and next I think we have 18 seniors again for 2019, so who knows.

Reign of Terrier
January 8th, 2019, 11:13 AM
And 99%+ don't care about FCS in general.

The only teams nearly guaranteed a home playoff teams are NDSU and JMU. EWU has lucked out with homefield throughout a couple times, but most teams have to go on the road at least once, not including Frisco. It makes financial sense for most anyone else to go FBS if they have 15k+ attendance and are perennially in the top 10. The point of that post is not which is better from a value judgment perspective (which is subjective), but which is best financially. The FCS playoffs loses a lot of money I imagine. NDSU is in the sweet spot where they are almost guaranteed as many home games as they would have at the FBS, but the money they (don't) make in road games at the FCS level is still not there.

You can ask App State and Georgia Southern fans if they were less excited this season because they couldn't compete for a national title. At random points this season, they each were in the running for a possible NY6 bowl if UCF stumbled. There's lots of good posts on their board which basically no regrets. The possibility of recognition and recognition itself is more valuable than you'd think

This year NDSU had 10 home games, 7 regular season and 3 playoffs, next year 6 home games, a neutral site game at Target Field. If they make the playoffs, at least 1 home extra home game.

I would love to know NDSU's revenue from playoff games. Again, look to the future and how that revenue may eventually plateau. College football at the division one level is always about growth and there will be a day, whether they cease to win championships or not, when the athletic department looks to grow elsewhere and the only solution may be a move up.

Gil Dobie
January 8th, 2019, 11:45 AM
And 99%+ don't care about FCS in general.

The only teams nearly guaranteed a home playoff teams are NDSU and JMU. EWU has lucked out with homefield throughout a couple times, but most teams have to go on the road at least once, not including Frisco. It makes financial sense for most anyone else to go FBS if they have 15k+ attendance and are perennially in the top 10. The point of that post is not which is better from a value judgment perspective (which is subjective), but which is best financially. The FCS playoffs loses a lot of money I imagine. NDSU is in the sweet spot where they are almost guaranteed as many home games as they would have at the FBS, but the money they (don't) make in road games at the FCS level is still not there.

You can ask App State and Georgia Southern fans if they were less excited this season because they couldn't compete for a national title. At random points this season, they each were in the running for a possible NY6 bowl if UCF stumbled. There's lots of good posts on their board which basically no regrets. The possibility of recognition and recognition itself is more valuable than you'd think

I would love to know NDSU's revenue from playoff games. Again, look to the future and how that revenue may eventually plateau. College football at the division one level is always about growth and there will be a day, whether they cease to win championships or not, when the athletic department looks to grow elsewhere and the only solution may be a move up.

I'm not sure on the ticket revenue, a large chunk goes to the NCAA. They do sell tailgating spots, Parking, Bison gear in the lobby and the 50/50 for the 3 extra home games. The book store also made the trip to Frisco to sell Bison gear.

AmsterBison
January 8th, 2019, 11:52 AM
If we're going to be irrelevant, as some claim, then we might as well be irrelevant on Saturday in front of thousands rather than on Tuesday or Thursday in front of dozens.

Silenoz
January 8th, 2019, 11:56 AM
NDSU, YSU and Montana are tied for second most Championship Game appearances, at 7. Should YSU and Montana move up too?
Sure. Maybe a reboot will fix us. It's not like we're in the playoffs either way.

This is of course pretending that we have money and enrollment.

Also, I'm pretty sure we never got to a point where FCS was no longer any sort of threat to us. Like, ever.

Silenoz
January 8th, 2019, 12:03 PM

Is this about how many strangers watch a game, which, I mean, who cares?

Or is it about seeking a challenge? Something FCS is unable, or unwilling, to give NDSU.

The fact that most Bison fans would down for a mythical B12 invite I think tells you everything we need to know about this debate. FCS is where they are stuck because of so many different factors, but not necessarily where they belong.

Catbooster
January 8th, 2019, 05:59 PM

You keep saying this, but it's highly debatable and depends on the individual circumstances. You are correct that there is potentially more revenue, but the expenses also increase, making it questionable whether it's better from a financial standpoint.

Hammerhead
January 8th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Exposure does not pay the bills, especially when your school has to eat the cost of unsold tickets for the Lam-o-rama Before Christmas Bowl most G5 teams go to.
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/01/02/bowl-games-are-not-always-winners-for-schools/

NDB
January 8th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Bison better not screw up Taco Tuesday.

Bisonoline
January 8th, 2019, 10:49 PM
Exposure does not pay the bills, especially when your school has to eat the cost of unsold tickets for the Lam-o-rama Before Christmas Bowl most G5 teams go to.
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/01/02/bowl-games-are-not-always-winners-for-schools/

You need to do further research. What ever tickets arent sold are absorbed by the conference. Why do schools REALLY lose money? Its because they take HUGE contingents of fans from the band, cheerleader, high rollers, coaches families, professors , administration and there families etc etc etc etc.
Its not the fact that they dont pay enough its that they spend to much.

Unsold tickets???? pfttt

Rjones61
January 8th, 2019, 10:58 PM
This has probably already been hashed, but I probably missed it. I noticed on NDSU's football schedule, they are going to have another year of no FBS teams. Is this due to no FBS teams wanting to schedule them or has NDSU just decided they make enough money and don't bother?

Bisonoline
January 8th, 2019, 11:00 PM
This has probably already been hashed, but I probably missed it. I noticed on NDSU's football schedule, they are going to have another year of no FBS teams. Is this due to no FBS teams wanting to schedule them or has NDSU just decided they make enough money and don't bother?

Couldnt get an FBS to schedule us.

Rjones61
January 8th, 2019, 11:04 PM
Couldnt get an FBS to schedule us.

Damn, I was hoping to see some FBS ass kicking. Maybe in a couple years when NDSU is at full strength again, it would be awesome to see them stack up against a perennial top team.

Bisonoline
January 8th, 2019, 11:07 PM
Damn, I was hoping to see some FBS ass kicking. Maybe in a couple years when NDSU is at full strength again, it would be awesome to see them stack up against a perennial top team.

We do have Oregon and Arizona coming up sometime in the future..

NDSUtk
January 9th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Damn, I was hoping to see some FBS ass kicking. Maybe in a couple years when NDSU is at full strength again, it would be awesome to see them stack up against a perennial top team.Our current FBS schedule has us visiting the PAC12:
2020 Oregon
2022 Arizona
2024 Colorado

No other FBS games signed yet. Would love to see more.

Reign of Terrier
January 9th, 2019, 08:34 AM
You keep saying this, but it's highly debatable and depends on the individual circumstances. You are correct that there is potentially more revenue, but the expenses also increase, making it questionable whether it's better from a financial standpoint.

When economies of scale come in, as well as more predictable expenses (something FCS playoffs don't necessarily afford) it's more positive. Your away games make more money, people by more merch, which ultimately offset travel expenses, especially for football which will only increase a couple thousand $$$ for plane rides

The link you're citing involves the BCS. The BCS no longer exists and the aforementioned problems are only mentioned exclusively in those contexts. It doesn't talk about bowls in 2012ish that weren't BCS. A better measure is looking at the payout for bowls as I think the cheapest bowl is like $300k.

ksu_owls
January 9th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Since it's the offseason I feel like I can make a post with less logic and a lot more fandom... I know you guys will quickly let me know if that's not how it goes lol

I personally am okay with NDSU staying in FCS. As a KSU fan, I know that we will get to the level where we are consistently in the conversation about legitimately winning championships and people will be telling us to "just move up already" "you have almost 40k students". I think winning in FCS is way more fun than winning in G5. I imagine that NDSU enjoys being the team that everyone wants to be.

In no way have we peaked with 20 guys who decided to take a chance on a school with no football program. What our inaugural class did by putting us on the FCS map is incredible, but what we are bringing to the team now with competitive recruiting is what will have us in serious championship conversations in the next few years. And when that happens, I don't want to be told that we should go FBS just because programs that have been around for 20+ years still haven't figured out how to win the big games.

Disclaimer: I do realize we haven't "won anything yet", so you don't have to tell me that. I know the Big South sucks. I know the TO isn't the best offense to win championships. I also know that a winning culture is a massive factor and although we are celebrating the small victories we have, it's creating an atmosphere of players (not fans, I know we have a lot of work to do in gaining more support) that expect to win and come to our program to win.

Reign of Terrier
January 9th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Since it's the offseason I feel like I can make a post with less logic and a lot more fandom... I know you guys will quickly let me know if that's not how it goes lol

I personally am okay with NDSU staying in FCS. As a KSU fan, I know that we will get to the level where we are consistently in the conversation about legitimately winning championships and people will be telling us to "just move up already" "you have almost 40k students". I think winning in FCS is way more fun than winning in G5. I imagine that NDSU enjoys being the team that everyone wants to be.

In no way have we peaked with 20 guys who decided to take a chance on a school with no football program. What our inaugural class did by putting us on the FCS map is incredible, but what we are bringing to the team now with competitive recruiting is what will have us in serious championship conversations in the next few years. And when that happens, I don't want to be told that we should go FBS just because programs that have been around for 20+ years still haven't figured out how to win the big games.

Disclaimer: I do realize we haven't "won anything yet", so you don't have to tell me that. I know the Big South sucks. I know the TO isn't the best offense to win championships. I also know that a winning culture is a massive factor and although we are celebrating the small victories we have, it's creating an atmosphere of players (not fans, I know we have a lot of work to do in gaining more support) that expect to win and come to our program to win.

The Big South Sucks requires the whole phrase to be capitalized to be grammatically correct.

ksu_owls
January 9th, 2019, 10:31 AM
The Big South Sucks requires the whole phrase to be capitalized to be grammatically correct.

Apparently I have to "spread some reputation" before I favorite your post. but I definitely agree! ha

POD Knows
January 9th, 2019, 10:35 AM
The Big South Sucks requires the whole phrase to be capitalized to be grammatically correct.Yea, their conference may suck but they beat you guys in the playoffs this year and their record in the playoffs the last two years is 3-2, what is Wofford's playoff record in the last two years?

Reign of Terrier
January 9th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Yea, their conference may suck but they beat you guys in the playoffs this year and their record in the playoffs the last two years is 3-2, what is Wofford's playoff record in the last two years?

2-2. Would have been higher had we played JSU and SHSUxcoffeex

And again, The Big South Sucks so bad it's probably the worst fully-scholarshipped conference in FCS idgaf about Kennesaw.

POD Knows
January 9th, 2019, 01:07 PM
2-2. Would have been higher had we played JSU and SHSUxcoffeex

And again, The Big South Sucks so bad it's probably the worst fully-scholarshipped conference in FCS idgaf about Kennesaw.xnodx

Gil Dobie
January 9th, 2019, 02:14 PM
One thing that would motivate NDSU to go FBS, is if the Fighting Hawks go FBS.

Southern Bison
January 9th, 2019, 03:36 PM
One thing that would motivate NDSU to go FBS, is if the Fighting Hawks go FBS.Which would happen if all the UND law students that are now politicians sitting in Bismarck had their way.

UND Whioux get whatever they want while NDSU is almost self-funded.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
January 9th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Breaking Fake News

Frisco in middle of negotiations to bring North Dakota State regular season home games to Frisco due declining fan interest in Fargo and Bison fans general love of Applebees and the Olive Garden and everything that suburban Frisco has to offer

Also of note - If the Bison did go FBS, Frisco will bail out of contract to host future National Championship games due other fan bases do not have pockets full of drunken beer money to toss around town like the Green and gold money colors of the Dakotas

Bisonator
January 10th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Breaking Fake News

Frisco in middle of negotiations to bring North Dakota State regular season home games to Frisco due declining fan interest in Fargo and Bison fans general love of Applebees and the Olive Garden and everything that suburban Frisco has to offer

Also of note - If the Bison did go FBS, Frisco will bail out of contract to host future National Championship games due other fan bases do not have pockets full of drunken beer money to toss around town like the Green and gold money colors of the Dakotas and will host the Bison Bowl every year instead where one lucky P5 gets pounded like a cheap whore by the Bison on New Years Day!
FIFY

This has real promise!xnodx

X-Factor
January 10th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Exactly! Also Fargo is not a huge media market that other conferences want to get into like the Big10 going after Rutgers and Marand.

Even if the MWC or MAC invited NDSU I don't think they should go because no G5 has a chance to win a National Championship under the current 4 team playoff system.

Someday when the P5 breaks away I would support NDSU joining the rest of the G5 and being in the 2nd tier of football.

Dewey

People have been talking about P5 breaking away as if it’s immanent for years. I don’t believe it’s ever happening. Or at least at this point I’ll believe it when I see it

ST_Lawson
January 10th, 2019, 02:34 PM
People have been talking about P5 breaking away as if it’s immanent for years. I don’t believe it’s ever happening. Or at least at this point I’ll believe it when I see it

I think that for a while they were probably using the threat as a negotiating tactic with the NCAA, but they've gotten many of the things they were wanting already. Unless there's a big "sticking point" that the P5 schools decide they want and that the NCAA won't allow/go along with, then they'll probably just stick with how things are right now. They're doing great at this point...if change is going to happen, it'd have to be from below.

BisonBacker
January 10th, 2019, 04:43 PM

^^^THIS^^^^

I think that for a while they were probably using the threat as a negotiating tactic with the NCAA, but they've gotten many of the things they were wanting already. Unless there's a big "sticking point" that the P5 schools decide they want and that the NCAA won't allow/go along with, then they'll probably just stick with how things are right now. They're doing great at this point...if change is going to happen, it'd have to be from below.

I agree but I don't see that happening either. As long as the G5 are ok with the crumbs they get from the bowl system and the ever decreasing TV contracts it won't anyway.

Catbooster
January 11th, 2019, 12:10 AM
When economies of scale come in, as well as more predictable expenses (something FCS playoffs don't necessarily afford) it's more positive. Your away games make more money, people by more merch, which ultimately offset travel expenses, especially for football which will only increase a couple thousand $$$ for plane rides.
Then I guess you're an advocate of Wofford moving to FBS. You said it's a no-brainer in your previous post, and I'll bet the administrators at Wofford have brains. As a matter of fact, the logical conclusion of your statements is that there should be no FCS (or even D-II or D-III) since the revenue is greater so it's a no-brainer.

Do you really think that the cost of moving from FCS (or D-II, D-III or NAIA) to FBS is only a couple thousand $ for plane rides?

Twentysix
January 11th, 2019, 05:28 AM
The TO. Is just fine for winning a championship. Just run it at a championship level with a great defense to compliment. Whoever told you a TO team can't win a championship is a ****ing moron.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
January 11th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Then I guess you're an advocate of Wofford moving to FBS. You said it's a no-brainer in your previous post, and I'll bet the administrators at Wofford have brains. As a matter of fact, the logical conclusion of your statements is that there should be no FCS (or even D-II or D-III) since the revenue is greater so it's a no-brainer.

Do you really think that the cost of moving from FCS (or D-II, D-III or NAIA) to FBS is only a couple thousand $ for plane rides?

Apples and oranges. It's not a no brainer for Wofford because we don't have the institutional funding, the attendance, the endowment, etc. We don't have a pool of students to raise fees or the scale of attendance to subsidize our move. Put another way, a lot of G5 teams subsist of these things and P5 revenue games, but a huge component of Wofford's financial model is success on the field encouraging highly wealthy alumni and boosters donating to the Terrier Club.

Meanwhile, state schools as directional state university or low population state U have a huge alumni pool (Wofford has as many alumni as have graduated from NDSU in the last decade or so), huge attendance, etc. We're at the right level of football (the third highest). Some FCS programs, when they hit their stride like NDSU, don't belong here, but at the second level.

The TO. Is just fine for winning a championship. Just run it at a championship level with a great defense to compliment. Whoever told you a TO team can't win a championship is a ****ing moron.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Saying "run it at a championship level" is kind of oversimplifying. The problem with the TO is that good, gap-sound defenses can stop it, but it's so simplistic that it gets easier for them to stop it because they only have to do the same motions. Georgia Southern had success at the FCS level, but there's a reason no one at FBS can advance past a mid-tier conference championship game. Heck, if you look at FCS teams that run the TO other than Georgia southern, they have struggled to score 20 points over the last decade. Here's a good video about stopping the TO and the fundamentals to it; bottom line, it's an offense that can win conference titles, but there's a reason no one running it in the last few years hasn't advanced past the quarterfinals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Gidwp3joU

ksu_owls
January 11th, 2019, 09:44 AM

In all fairness I said it isn't the best offense to win a championship.

Vandal03
January 11th, 2019, 10:46 PM
While I think NDSU could do well at FBS I hope they will stay FCS. It makes it interesting have a powerhouse program to root against. I don’t want NDSU to leave or stop being a good program. I want the rest of FCS to step things up and compete with them.

Bisonwinagn
January 11th, 2019, 11:45 PM

More likely NDSU would want to get away from that stench!!!

Bisonoline
January 12th, 2019, 05:24 PM

LOL They moved to the MVFC because they couldnt afford the BSC. FBS????xlolx

NDSU1980
January 12th, 2019, 05:54 PM

With only one playoff appearance and no playoff wins, I highly doubt they could even be remotely competitive. They barely get over 500 now with a weak schedule.

Go...gate
January 12th, 2019, 10:52 PM
NDSU should stay FCS. It works well for them, much the same way it works for Delaware and should have worked for Rutgers. More power to them.

DFW HOYA
January 12th, 2019, 11:09 PM
NDSU should stay FCS. It works well for them, much the same way it works for Delaware and should have worked for Rutgers. More power to them.

Rutgers? Where would they play?

(Harkening back to the quixotic writings of William Dowling...)

http://dailyorange.com/2005/10/rutgers-1000-fights-big-spending-as-focus-drifts-from-academics/