PDA

View Full Version : Colgate linebacker TJ Hol to graduate transfer

dewey
January 5th, 2019, 11:56 PM
Here is his tweet and list of offers so far.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tj_holl

Boy would I love to see him in the green and yellow.

STUD!

Dewey

cx500d
January 6th, 2019, 12:03 AM

STUD!

Dewey

If he were a dog, he'd be one of those little ankle biters; he is the king of the ankle tackle

X-Factor
January 6th, 2019, 06:00 AM
I assume he has one season remaining? Colgate doesn’t redshirt players so how did he end up with remaining eligibility unless he graduated in 3 years?!

kdinva
January 6th, 2019, 07:51 AM
I assume he has one season remaining? Colgate doesn’t redshirt players so how did he end up with remaining eligibility unless he graduated in 3 years?!

did he miss an entire season w/injury? The NCAA would recognize that as having one season remaining to play...

LehighU11
January 6th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Per NCAA rules, Holl has a 5th year of eligibility (medical redshirt) due to suffering a season ending injury in game 4 of his junior year. Since Colgate doesn't have graduate programs, athletes in his position who graduate in 4 years can then pursue their extra year of eligibility elsewhere. The same thing happened this year with Lehigh WR Gatlin Casey, who grad-transferred to Middle Tennessee State to play out his eligibility.

The Patriot League does allow medical redshirts, but there are some complications. Only Fordham, Georgetown, and Lehigh have extensive graduate program offerings. Lehigh also has a cross-disciplinary 5 year engineering and business undergrad program. Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, and Lafayette have very limited or no graduate programs. Because of these differences, it is possible for a Lehigh player to return for a 5th year on a medical redshirt, either for graduate studies or because he will need 4.5 years to graduate. However, a player graduating in 4 years at one of those 4 liberal arts colleges really has no other option but to grad-transfer.

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 08:11 AM

STUD!

DeweyWas fun to chirp with him at the game. He is a hell of an athlete and with all of the graduates, it would be nice to have another senior out there to help control the game. Now I don't want this to be Entz's philosophy, but if they can fill serious needs with occasional transfers, I'm all for it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
January 6th, 2019, 09:17 AM
The Patriot League does allow medical redshirts, but there are some complications. Only Fordham, Georgetown, and Lehigh have extensive graduate program offerings. Lehigh also has a cross-disciplinary 5 year engineering and business undergrad program. Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, and Lafayette have very limited or no graduate programs. Because of these differences, it is possible for a Lehigh player to return for a 5th year on a medical redshirt, either for graduate studies or because he will need 4.5 years to graduate. However, a player graduating in 4 years at one of those 4 liberal arts colleges really has no other option but to grad-transfer.

The PL has a lot of excuses for the lack of redshirts--it should be a decision made by each school. Allowing a player to redshirt as a freshman and/or graduate in December of his fifth year wouldn't be unreasonable and wouldn't require a graduate school program to do so.

Gate83
January 6th, 2019, 09:36 AM
Lets not make this about Patriot League redshirt rules... we could have worked it out if TJ wanted to stay. He wants to graduate with his class and move on to bigger challenges having completed a great career at Gate. Wish him nothing but the best, and if he does pick NDSU I'll come back for another tailgate!

clenz
January 6th, 2019, 09:52 AM
NDSU DOESNT TAKE TRANSFERS! CULT-URE!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Kemo
January 6th, 2019, 11:27 AM
SDSU has offered Mr. Holl according to his twitter account (https://twitter.com/tj_holl/status/1081225774345191424).

Go Green
January 6th, 2019, 11:35 AM
A shame that Dartmouth won't be seeing him in our game against Colgate next season. A real shame.

:)

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 6th, 2019, 05:50 PM
NDSU DOESNT TAKE TRANSFERS! CULT-URE!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

xrolleyesx

When there has been a need the Bison have taken a few over the years. Some have been hits and other misses.

Kramden
January 6th, 2019, 07:23 PM
Wherever he ends up I am happy for the young man. He is the type of player Colgate looks to recruit; smart, tough, good fundamentals, even if a little "light" on athleticism. Glad he's graduating with his class and hope he has a nice experience for his last year of eligibility wherever that may be.

dewey
January 6th, 2019, 10:01 PM
Here are some of this seasons accolades for TJ Holl.

https://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2018/12/13/football-raiders-place-three-on-ap-all-america-teams.aspx

Holl earned Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year honors after leading Colgate in tackles with 121 (61 solo). He was second in the Patriot League in tackles per game at 10.1 (15th nationally) and tied Wheeler for team honors in tackles-for-loss with 17 (minus 44 yards).

Twice the senior linebacker matched his career high for tackles this year with 18 against Cornell and then against Army of the FBS. He saved his best for last by combining for 27 tackles in two playoff games, including 16 at No. 1 North Dakota State.

AFCA First Team
Hero Sports Third Team

Holl and Cox at 2 of the three linebacker spots would be AWESOME!

Dewey

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2019, 10:09 PM
Here are some of this seasons accolades for TJ Holl.

https://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2018/12/13/football-raiders-place-three-on-ap-all-america-teams.aspx

Holl earned Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year honors after leading Colgate in tackles with 121 (61 solo). He was second in the Patriot League in tackles per game at 10.1 (15th nationally) and tied Wheeler for team honors in tackles-for-loss with 17 (minus 44 yards).

Twice the senior linebacker matched his career high for tackles this year with 18 against Cornell and then against Army of the FBS. He saved his best for last by combining for 27 tackles in two playoff games, including 16 at No. 1 North Dakota State.

AFCA First Team
Hero Sports Third Team

Holl and Cox at 2 of the three linebacker spots would be AWESOME!

DeweyWith Jackson Hankey there as well. It would do wonders. This way, they wouldn't have to rush Weerts (redshirt) and/or Jasir (maybe he redshirts this coming year) and give Brown/Hankey/Mercadel time at the LB spot.

X-Factor
January 7th, 2019, 07:18 AM
With Jackson Hankey there as well. It would do wonders. This way, they wouldn't have to rush Weerts (redshirt) and/or Jasir (maybe he redshirts this coming year) and give Brown/Hankey/Mercadel time at the LB spot.

Hankey plays MLB which I’m guessing is where Holl would play. We’d still need someone on the strong side. I’d go with Jaxon Brown or Jasir Cox. Mercadel needs to prove he can stay healthy. He has the talent to start!

Hope Holl becomes a Bison! That could turn into our best LB crew ever.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 7th, 2019, 07:20 AM
Hankey plays MLB which I’m guessing is where Holl would play. We’d still need someone on the strong side. I’d go with Jaxon Brown or Jasir Cox. Mercadel needs to prove he can stay healthy. He has the talent to start!

Hope Holl becomes a Bison! That could turn into our best LB crew ever.

Mercadel says his knee is 100%. If he stays healthy, he will be one of the LBs next year IMO. Holl would be a nice addition if he comes here.

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Hope Holl becomes a Bison! That could turn into our best LB crew ever.I'm sure Hankey would move for the season if Holl came to play here. You're not going to tell a guy who is practically a first team all-American he is not going to be playing the Mike, especially after receiving a scholarship to come play for your team.

walliver
January 7th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Does anyone have access to any statistics about what happens with graduate transfers?
Wofford lost a graduate transfer to Georgia Tech who actually benefited from Tech graduate programs. On the other hand, there are a lot of schools out there offering Master's degrees in Sports Marketing. I'm curious to find out how many graduate transfers show up for second semester classes.

X-Factor
January 7th, 2019, 09:23 AM
I'm sure Hankey would move for the season if Holl came to play here. You're not going to tell a guy who is practically a first team all-American he is not going to be playing the Mike, especially after receiving a scholarship to come play for your team.

I don’t know why you think Hankey is the key.

What I’m saying is that Hankey would back up Holl and we likely have better options at SLB. Hankey is pretty young and I see him more as a typical LB at NDSU that starts JR/SR year. FR/SO starters are rare at LB with the kind of depth we have

Jaxon Brown or Mercadel could be the next MJ Stumpf type of player and slide into the Sam position as an all-conf type of player next to AA’s Hall and Cox

Noryan34
January 7th, 2019, 09:30 AM
This guy has at least 3 FBS offers and 1 from a P5. For one year of eligibility left seems fairly unlikely he would choose NDSU.

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 09:32 AM
I don’t know why you think Hankey is the key.

What I’m saying is that Hankey would back up Holl and we likely have better options at SLB. Hankey is pretty young and I see him more as a typical LB at NDSU that starts JR/SR year. FR/SO starters are rare at LB with the kind of depth we have

Jaxon Brown or Mercadel could be the next MJ Stumpf type of player and slide into the Sam position as an all-conf type of player next to AA’s Hall and Cox

Holl would be playing 80% or so of the game and you want to ensure Hankey is getting valuable snaps so I could see the other OLB being a swing type of position where Brown/Mercadel exist but that would mean Hankey is only getting 20% game time, sans STs. The problem with this is that after next year you would have Cox, Hankey and Werts as the most likely candidates to start (if Mercadel is not given a medical redshirt) and Hankey missed out on valuable time. This is why it's key to ensure Hankey gets snaps this year, unless you want to try and "break-in" two LBs going into 2020.

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 09:35 AM
This guy has at least 3 FBS offers and 1 from a P5. For one year of eligibility left seems fairly unlikely he would choose NDSU.

Tulane and EKU are blow NDSU in terms of product put forth. The only team I'd be worried about is Louisville. The difference between NDSU and Louisville is that NDSU has the chance to play for a title VS Louisville playing for a NY6 bowl, if they are lucky. Considering he played against NDSU, he knows the culture and how it is done here (crowd, noise, gameplan, etc...) and that might give NDSU an advantage over Louisville.

clenz
January 7th, 2019, 11:53 AM
Tulane and EKU are blow NDSU in terms of product put forth. The only team I'd be worried about is Louisville. The difference between NDSU and Louisville is that NDSU has the chance to play for a title VS Louisville playing for a NY6 bowl, if they are lucky. Considering he played against NDSU, he knows the culture and how it is done here (crowd, noise, gameplan, etc...) and that might give NDSU an advantage over Louisville.
Yeah.

Playing infront of 60-70k in Louisville against ACC opponents and in opposing ACC venues with 50-60+k in them has NOTHING on the 18k in the FargoDome and 500 at WIU's 17,000 seat stadium, 350 in ISUb's one sided 13k seat stadium, 680 in SIU's 15,000 seat stadium, etc.

Sader87
January 7th, 2019, 11:56 AM
"New Orleans or Fargo??? New Orleans or Fargo??? New Orleans or Fargo??? God why do you torment me so????"

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Yeah.

Playing infront of 60-70k in Louisville against ACC opponents and in opposing ACC venues with 50-60+k in them has NOTHING on the 18k in the FargoDome and 500 at WIU's 17,000 seat stadium, 350 in ISUb's one sided 13k seat stadium, 680 in SIU's 15,000 seat stadium, etc.

The only team I'd be worried about is Louisville. He knows he will start at NDSU, but will he start at Louisville? I ask since, 1) I honestly do not know and 2) I don't know many people who want to play for a 2-10 team.

Noryan34
January 7th, 2019, 12:01 PM
The only team I'd be worried about is Louisville. He knows he will start at NDSU, but will he start at Louisville? I ask since, 1) I honestly do not know and 2) I don't know many people who want to play for a 2-10 team.

FWIW Louisville starting LBs last year were all underclassmen (like r-SO I believe)

If he had more than 1 year I would say NDSU has a small chance. But with only 1 year left I would be really shocked if he chose NDSU over those FBS offers.

clenz
January 7th, 2019, 12:09 PM
1. He will
2. Louisville will be better next year.

That coach - and everything with him - is gone. The fan base will be re energized
This crowd was an October game this year - when it was clear how bad they were
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/CardinalStadiumUL7.jpg

3. When it comes to draft positioning - Louisville is a better option. NDSU bravado aside it's the truth. They've have 17 drafted in the last 4 years.

Also - if he can't start at 2-10 Louisville how the hell would he start at NDSU?

Sader87
January 7th, 2019, 12:12 PM
Or he could go to a really good school in a very cosmopolitan city......

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 12:13 PM
1. He will
2. Louisville will be better next year.

That coach - and everything with him - is gone. The fan base will be re energized
This crowd was an October game this year - when it was clear how bad they were
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/CardinalStadiumUL7.jpg

3. When it comes to draft positioning - Louisville is a better option. NDSU bravado aside it's the truth. They've have 17 drafted in the last 4 years.

Also - if he can't start at 2-10 Louisville how the hell would he start at NDSU?

As I said, I am worried about Louisville but stranger things have happened. I'm not getting my hopes up, but NDSU is way above EKU and Tulane in the pecking order.

Bisonator
January 7th, 2019, 12:34 PM
Frankly not sure why we are even offering him since we are stacked at LB. Maybe just a nod to his talent and sign of respect.

Noryan34
January 7th, 2019, 01:22 PM
Frankly not sure why we are even offering him since we are stacked at LB. Maybe just a nod to his talent and sign of respect.

Outside LB looks good for next year as a few upper classmen. MLB will either be one of the outside guys moves in or a r-SO

dewey
January 7th, 2019, 01:51 PM

He is a first team All American. If he comes to NDSU he will start because he is that good.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 7th, 2019, 02:37 PM
As I said, I am worried about Louisville but stranger things have happened. I'm not getting my hopes up, but NDSU is way above EKU and Tulane in the pecking order.

Tulane has to be there for academic reasons. Undergrad degree from Colgate, Grad degree from Tulane and you're pretty well set for life....

TheKingpin28
January 7th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Tulane has to be there for academic reasons. Undergrad degree from Colgate, Grad degree from Tulane and you're pretty well set for life....I'd have to bet the Colgate degree worth 280k is good enough, but adding Tulane helps the resume. Plus, I'm willing to guess but he has aspirations of playing on Sundays as well.

Gate83
February 26th, 2019, 08:42 PM
Good luck to TJ at Louisville...
https://twitter.com/tj_holl/status/1100401850602475525

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 27th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Good luck to TJ at Louisville...
https://twitter.com/tj_holl/status/1100401850602475525

Interesting choice. Louisville figures to be terrible next year so Holl isn't going there to win. Academically it's a bit of a step back imo given the fact Holl has a Colgate undergrad degree.

I figured he'd do better given how well he played last year.

walliver
February 27th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Interesting choice. Louisville figures to be terrible next year so Holl isn't going there to win. Academically it's a bit of a step back imo given the fact Holl has a Colgate undergrad degree.

I figured he'd do better given how well he played last year.

He gets to play on national television in a P5 conference. And Scott Satterfield is generating some excitement in Louisville. They'll lose by 50 to Clemson and struggle in most of their other games, but the team should be much improved, or at least better coached next year.

Also, North Dakota is too cold and New Orleans is too hot.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 27th, 2019, 09:12 AM
He gets to play on national television in a P5 conference. And Scott Satterfield is generating some excitement in Louisville. They'll lose by 50 to Clemson and struggle in most of their other games, but the team should be much improved, or at least better coached next year.

Also, North Dakota is too cold and New Orleans is too hot.

This is a one shot deal for Holl though. I agree that Satterfield will get Louisville rolling again but Holl won't be there to see it. He's taking over a complete dumpster fire. The Cardinals failed to be competitive in most of their games last year. Part of that ineptitude can be attributed to the cultural/coaching problem but there's a talent issue too. Jackson was able to cover up a lot of the warts in 2017.

I think Tulane would have been tough to beat. They won a bowl game last year and the academics are elite. I honestly thought Hollwould have drawn interest from Penn State, Syracuse, maybe Michigan/Michigan State etc.

Lehigh lost a talented WR as a grad transfer two years ago to MTSU. I felt the same way about that move. Casey did make the ESPN 10 list for a crazy 2 pt catch and had a solid game in the New Orleans Bowl. But overall, what did he really get out of it?

TheValleyRaider
February 27th, 2019, 08:09 PM
Congrats to Holl xthumbsupx

Have to think he wanted to take his shot at the P5 level. Louisville may not be great, but he'll get 8 games against the ACC (plus Kentucky/Notre Dame) to see how he stacks up with the big boys