PDA

View Full Version : Bohl vs Klieman- who was better?

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 02:57 PM
All things considered? Not, who do you like better.

I don't know if I can add a poll at this point, but if I can someone tell me how.

TheKingpin28
January 5th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Make that **** a poll!

Klieman. He lost a semi-final and took them back to Frisco to reclaim victory against the team that beat them.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 03:16 PM
Make that **** a poll!

Klieman. He lost a semi-final and took them back to Frisco to reclaim victory against the team that beat them.

I'll try to make it a poll. I say the jury is still out. If Entz can keep it rolling like this, it would be hard to not say Bohl. Although, my gut tells me Klieman. Also I guess we will have to see how he does at K-State, but I'm more just talking about as far as NDSU history goes.

TheKingpin28
January 5th, 2019, 03:19 PM
I'll try to make it a poll. I say the jury is still out. If Entz can keep it rolling like this, it would be hard to not say Bohl. Although, my gut tells me Klieman. Also I guess we will have to see how he does at K-State, but I'm more just talking about as far as NDSU history goes.

Klieman convinced 24 seniors to come back to NDSU and put together one of the greatest teams to ever grace the FCS/I-AA level that could beat any non top 10/15 team in the FBS on a neutral field.

X-Factor
January 5th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Klieman and it’s not even close

Bisonator
January 5th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Better at what? Building a program, probably Bohl since we haven't seen Klieman have to do that yet. Bohl was more of a CEO type coach, didn't always like the way he handled certain things but he was certainly successful.

I think Klieman is the better coach as in actually coaching the players and leading the team. He's a way better person and holds the players more accountable for their actions then Bohl did. Different strokes for different folks but they both get the job done successfully.

Hopefully Entz can be just as good if not better then both!

Hammerhead
January 5th, 2019, 03:31 PM
NDSU football has had three losing seasons since 1964 and one of those was with Bohl.

Scooter
January 5th, 2019, 03:34 PM
I would say Klieman has better hair...
Coaching...fans didn't want either to go...doesn't matter.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Better at what? Building a program, probably Bohl since we haven't seen Klieman have to do that yet. Bohl was more of a CEO type coach, didn't always like the way he handled certain things but he was certainly successful.

I think Klieman is the better coach as in actually coaching the players and leading the team. He's a way better person and holds the players more accountable for their actions then Bohl did. Different strokes for different folks but they both get the job done successfully.

I guess at the heart of what I'm wondering is, if both were equally great guys, who would be considered the greatest coach in NDSU history?

Who should get the statue first?

Scooter
January 5th, 2019, 03:35 PM
NDSU football has had three losing seasons since 1964 and two of those were with Bohl.check your facts, please.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 03:39 PM
Klieman convinced 24 seniors to come back to NDSU and put together one of the greatest teams to ever grace the FCS/I-AA level that could beat any non top 10/15 team in the FBS on a neutral field.

You think this team is better than Bohl's last team?

semobison
January 5th, 2019, 03:42 PM
NDSU football has had three losing seasons since 1964 and two of those were with Bohl.

Umm..... no, Bohl's only losing season was 2009. In 2002 we had a losing season. That was the year before Bohl arrived and Babich was the coach.

TheKingpin28
January 5th, 2019, 03:44 PM
You think this team is better than Bohl's last team?

I truly believe it would be a slugfest and whoever got the last possession (assuming it was tied and/or within 6) would most likely win. It's too close to call honestly. That 13 team got the benefit of playing Towson vs the 18 team playing an explosive offense known as EWU.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 03:50 PM
I truly believe it would be a slugfest and whoever got the last possession (assuming it was tied and/or within 6) would most likely win. It's too close to call honestly. That 13 team got the benefit of playing Towson vs the 18 team playing an explosive offense known as EWU.

Id give the edge to that team, but probably just bias because they've softened the game up so much since then.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2019, 03:51 PM
I guess at the heart of what I'm wondering is, if both were equally great guys, who would be considered the greatest coach in NDSU history?

Who should get the statue first?
Darrell Mudra got the program turned around and laid the foundation of what Bison football is today. So I'd say he deserves the statue more then Bohl or Klieman. They are just the last couple in a long line of great coaches to have come thru NDSU.

If I had to pick between Bohl and Klieman I'd take Klieman. Fun fact Klieman has 7 FCS titles as an assistant or HC.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Both Bohl and Klieman were the appropriate coaches for the right time. Bohl as the CEO and "jump started" the program recruiting in the D1 landscape.....Klieman is way more hands on and took it to another level. I think Klieman gets WAY too conservative at times...

That being said, I'd take Klieman. Bohl had more red flags and things that were not to my liking. Couldn't go wrong with either though.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 03:58 PM
Was Bohl heavily involved with the defense when he was coach and Klieman was DC? What about now? Has Klieman turned it over to Entz(not talking about since he took k state job.)

BisonBacker
January 5th, 2019, 03:59 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

Bisonoline
January 5th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Was Bohl heavily involved with the defense when he was coach and Klieman was DC? What about now? Has Klieman turned it over to Entz(not talking about since he took k state job.)

He turned it over to ENTZ. He was asked that question one time and his response was--I need to let my coaches coach. Thats why I hired them. Of course if I see something that I think can be done better we will have a discussion. Thats what head coaches do.

Hammerhead
January 5th, 2019, 04:42 PM
My bad, I had the 6-5 record in 2008 reversed. :(

check your facts, please.

JacksFan40
January 5th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Well one’s going to coach a Big 12 program while the other is coaching a mediocre MWC team. So that answers it for me.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Well one’s going to coach a Big 12 program while the other is coaching a mediocre MWC team. So that answers it for me.

Well, Craig Bohl is 60 and looks 70. Its also an unfair comparison for a few other reasons as well. The record doesn't show it, but I think Bohl is doing a pretty good job at Wyoming.

dakotadude
January 5th, 2019, 04:56 PM
Bohl,

He had to get the guys to come and play when there was nothing there at the end of the rainbow.

geaux_sioux
January 5th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Hard not to say Bohl since he built it but I just don’t like him as a person. Such a **** eating used car salesman.

BisonTru
January 5th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Klieman, both had great defenses but Bohl had some inept offenses and that’s followed him to WYO. Prolly more Vigen than him but he still owns the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
January 5th, 2019, 09:07 PM
I'd have to go with Klieman here.

As someone on the outside looking in, Klieman was a big part of the Bohl championships with those defenses and you can't say he was piggybacking off Bohl because he just went 15-0 with a team that Bohl had pretty much nothing to do with. Bohl was there for years but didn't start winning nattys until Klieman showed up. Coincidence? I think not.

AKC_NDSU
January 5th, 2019, 09:33 PM
Going off of these two in the D1 era I'd say that Bohl invented it & Coach K perfected it. In reality Mudra has to be in this discussion aswell but my vote is for Coach K