PDA

View Full Version : Samford QB Devlin Hodges wins the Walter Payton Award

dewey
January 4th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Congratulations to Devlin!

Dom Izzo (@DomIzzoWDAY) Tweeted:
https://t.co/IWrmeL194j https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1081392896295747586?s=17

Dewey

WeAreThePride
January 4th, 2019, 09:45 PM
Congratulations to the second best QB in FCS!

Hammerhead
January 4th, 2019, 09:51 PM
None of NDSU's quarterbacks have won the award so we have that going for us to help offset winning the BBQ bowl for once.

TheKingpin28
January 4th, 2019, 10:04 PM
That is a joke but I guess it's like last year, all they care about is stats and not body of work.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

dewey
January 4th, 2019, 10:28 PM
Per Dom Izzo's tweet.

Devlin Hodges received 51 first place votes, Chandler Burk’s had 24, while Easton Stick had 29.

Dewey

dewey
January 4th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Here is the article and final points for everyone.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20190104223718847158404

Dewey

TheKingpin28
January 4th, 2019, 10:46 PM
Per Dom Izzo's tweet.

Devlin Hodges received 51 first place votes, Chandler Burk’s had 24, while Easton Stick had 29.

DeweyThis is why the media is a joke. Anyone who thinks that Easton is not 1st Team and Payton winner is delusional and/or drinking the koolaid.

dewey
January 4th, 2019, 10:47 PM
This is why the media is a joke. Anyone who thinks that Easton is not 1st Team and Payton winner is delusional and/or drinking the koolaid.

It is all about the stats. Hodges had them like Briscoe did.

As long as Stick leads the team to a win tomorrow. That is what matters the most to me.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
January 4th, 2019, 10:48 PM
It is all about the stats. Hodges had them like Briscoe did.

As long as Stick leads the team to a win tomorrow. That is what matters the most to me.

DeweyAnd anyone who was not a shsu fan knew that was a crock of ****.

SU DOG
January 4th, 2019, 11:52 PM
Thanks for posting dewey. I'm appreciative that SOME Bison fans have enough class to offer congratulations. I would have done the same if Burks or Stick had won. The person delusional is the one who doesn't realize how difficult a feat it is to break decades old passing records held by the late Steve "Air" McNair. Those kind of stats can't be overlooked or their importance minimized. Come on, really? Your guy is about to lead his team to play for the Natty, and yet you want to sound like sour grapes? Knowing Devlin, he would probably be more than glad to swap places with Stick. Good job and CONGRATS to all 3 of these fine young men.

TennBison
January 5th, 2019, 02:15 AM
So lets see, body of work. National championships..........none. SoCon championships..........none. Surly must have a lot of playoff wins..........0, zilch,nada. Nope, no real body of work, just a bunch of over inflated stats. Another bunch of sport writers who want to see big numbers but not results that you would think should come from them. Who cares if he broke a bunch of records, what does his team have to show for it.

Drblankstare
January 5th, 2019, 05:33 AM
After Strevler got snubbed last year, nothing about this shocks me. Congrats to Hodges, kid had a great career.

Samford went 6-5 this year.

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2019, 05:40 AM
Congrats to Hodges. Great to see Stick make the final cut.

IBleedYellow
January 5th, 2019, 06:08 AM
Congratulations to him!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
January 5th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Congratulations to Devlin Hodges on becoming the 7th Walter Payton Award winner from the SoCon in the 32 years of its presentation.

Though the award is presented annually to the most outstanding offensive player in the Division 1 Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) of college football, those of us who watched Mr. Hodges play week in & week out for 4 years well know the extremely high level of contributions he provided to his Team that will never show up on a stat sheet. Mr. Hodges has been a tough & fierce competitor & leader throughout his career at Samford. He was not only feared as a pinpoint passer, who could throw the ball through a keyhole 40 yards away, but was always a threat to run the ball with elusiveness and/or power. While he played on Teams at Samford with a virtually non-existent ability to run the football (even though they did try) & mediocre and/or, at best, very inconsistent Defenses, he led them to 27 victories, including 2 very-near upsets of P5 FBS SEC & ACC Teams. One has to wonder even how much more successful he could have been, both individually & as a Team member, if he had the great fortune of playing on a Team with the #5 ranked Defense & #7 ranked Rushing Offense in FCS Football. We’ll never know, but for those of us who had the privilege of frequently watching him play over the past 4 years, we know he is most certainly a Player deserving of this great honor.

As a member of & a leader on many less-than-successful Teams, I’m sure Mr. Payton is happily smiling down on Kimberly Alabama this morning.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 5th, 2019, 06:50 AM
Congrats to Hodges!

Redbird 4th & short
January 5th, 2019, 10:33 AM
This is why the media is a joke. Anyone who thinks that Easton is not 1st Team and Payton winner is delusional and/or drinking the koolaid.

I'm far less bothered by Hodges winning than I am with Stick getting just 4 more votes than Burks .. incredibly ill informed committee.

Hodges threw twice as many passes as Stick and his team leaned heavily on him .. so he was clearly in the top 3 discussion. Burk ... no.

TennBison
January 5th, 2019, 10:41 AM
I'm far less bothered by Hodges winning than I am with Stick getting just 4 more votes than Burks .. incredibly ill informed committee.

Hodges threw twice as many passes as Stick and his team leaned heavily on him .. so he was clearly in the top 3 discussion. Burk ... no.
I find it funny that Stick has less losses in his 4 year starting career (48-3) than Hodges had in this year alone. Chance to be the career winning QB in FCS and can't get this award. This is not a career award, but even this season he (Stick) is better (chance to go undefeated). So what if Hodges threw twice as many passes, he was forced to based on his teams ability.
That said, hats off to the young man.

clenz
January 5th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Hodges goes undefeated in Fargo too.

What the team a player is on does record wise didn't impact a player and an INDIVIDUAL award

TheKingpin28
January 5th, 2019, 10:51 AM

This is almost as bad as Briscoe pulling a highway robbery on Streveler last year.

TennBison
January 5th, 2019, 10:54 AM

What the team a player is on does record wise didn't impact a player and an INDIVIDUAL award

Maybe, maybe not. NDSU didn't even give him a look. Probably didn't even know he was alive.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Congrats to Devlin Hodges.

FUBeAR
January 5th, 2019, 12:04 PM
NDSU didn't even give him a look.Unless you were on NDSU’s Coaching Staff in 2013-2014, you, most likely, have no idea if this is a true statement. Maybe you were & maybe it is true, but, even if it is, I don’t see the relevance to either the topic of Hodges winning the Payton Award or the supposition that he would have been undefeated this year if he was the QB at NDSU.

For the record (only, as it is irrelevant), Hodges was a highly recruited QB in the Class of 2014 with 10 FBS offers. He was ranked by 247 as the #34 Dual Threat QB in his class and a “3 Star,” FWIW.

PaladinFan
January 5th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Unless you were on NDSU’s Coaching Staff in 2013-2014, you, most likely, have no idea if this is a true statement. Maybe you were & maybe it is true, but, even if it is, I don’t see the relevance to either the topic of Hodges winning the Payton Award or the supposition that he would have been undefeated this year if he was the QB at NDSU.

For the record (only, as it is irrelevant), Hodges was a highly recruited QB in the Class of 2014 with 10 FBS offers. He was ranked by 247 as the #34 Dual Threat QB in his class and a “3 Star,” FWIW.

If I recall, Hodges also displaced a 4 star Arizona State transfer at QB when he was a freshman.

kdinva
January 5th, 2019, 02:52 PM
If I recall, Hodges also displaced a 4 star Arizona State transfer at QB when he was a freshman.

he did.......

WeAreThePride
January 5th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Are you drunk?

uni88
January 5th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Are you drunk?

Fat drunk and absolutely correct is no way to go through life in Fargo clenz!

Scooter
January 5th, 2019, 08:33 PM

I don't know about that. Would Hodges have been the team leader that Stick was off the field? Probably not.
Would Hodges have fit onto NDSU system? Maybe.
Obviously he knows how to lose games at 6-5.
Good QB and great numbers but intangibles when going gets tough....I will stay with Stick. 49 wins says it all

WWWWWWLLLLL
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

stats dont lie.

Scooter
January 5th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Who wins the Cy Young?
12-10 pitcher with 300 K or the 30-0 pitcher who gets people to ground out all the time.

My guess would be the latter.

BTW...Congrats to him on the award. He did have a good year.

clenz
January 5th, 2019, 08:43 PM
Who wins the Cy Young?
12-10 pitcher with 300 K or the 30-0 pitcher who gets people to ground out all the time.

My guess would be the latter.

BTW...Congrats to him on the award. He did have a good year.Felix Hernandez

Herder
January 5th, 2019, 08:58 PM

Is that why the Hiesman trophy goes to Sun Belt QB with great stats and a sub-.500 record instead of NC Contenders from the P5 teams? The Hiesman trophy voters disagree with you every time, every year. Is the Hiesman a team award, or and individual award?

clenz
January 5th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Is that why the Hiesman trophy goes to Sun Belt QB with great stats and a sub-.500 record instead of NC Contenders from the P5 teams? The Hiesman trophy voters disagree with you every time, every year. Is the Hiesman a team award, or and individual award?Horning won the award in a 2-8 Notre Dame team

Steve Owens won it with his OU team going 6-4

RG3 finished 3rd in the B12 and lost by 4 scores multiple times

Ty Detmer won while failing to win 5 of his games that season

Lamar Jackson's 2016 Louisville team lost 4 games, didn't beat a ranked opponent, lost to a 6-5 Kentucky team in week 12 and got beat by 26 by Houston the week before.

Scooter
January 5th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Felix Hernandez

I dont recall a 25-0 pitcher that Hernandez beat out in 2010. So what is your point?

Truth is Hodges had a good year but he was 10th in pass efficiency, 78th in yards per completion, 26th in yards per attempt and had more interceptions (16) than E Stick and Taryn Christian combined.
By the standards used, the award should have gone to Anthony Lawernce who was 2nd in efficiency 171.7 , 2nd in yards per attempt, 10th in yards per completion, only 7 INT and only 176 fewer passing yards than Hodges. And...he threw for 7 more TD than Hodges and btw he won more games.
If your team passes 550 times in 11 games but only goes 6-5, maybe it is time to try something different.

Laker
January 5th, 2019, 10:35 PM
Horning won the award in a 2-8 Notre Dame team

I think any of these three should have won that year.

Jim Brown
Syracuse University(RB)
Johnny Majors
University of Tennessee (RB)
Tommy McDonald
University of Oklahoma (RB)

PaladinFan
January 6th, 2019, 04:13 AM
Looks like NDSU fans showed their rear ends to Hodges on social media. Upset with him, I guess, because he was . . . good?

https://twitter.com/DevlinHodges10/status/1081443991760130048 (https://twitter.com/DevlinHodges10/status/1081443991760130048)

clenz
January 6th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Is Hodges calling the plays?

In 2010 Felix was 13-12 on a team that went 61-101

Second place was 19-9 David Price

3rd place was 21-7 CC Sabathia who lead the Yankees to the ALCS a year after leading them to a WS title.

Herder
January 6th, 2019, 07:36 PM
Looks like NDSU fans showed their rear ends to Hodges on social media. Upset with him, I guess, because he was . . . good?

https://twitter.com/DevlinHodges10/status/1081443991760130048 (https://twitter.com/DevlinHodges10/status/1081443991760130048)

I stood an clapped for Hodges at the game, as did most all the Bison fans around me. I’m sure he is a great kid, I have no issue with Hodges personally.

NDSUtk
January 6th, 2019, 07:58 PM
I say congrats to him. He did something pretty cool to break the records so congrats. You can make a case for Stick and I'd say in about 80% of the years you can make a case for someone who didn't win. It's a vote. Nothing statistical, nothing scientific. You're going off what people think and feel. Those people change over time, and value things differently. Oh well.

And I'm with Clenz, wins aren't a QB stat.

PaladinFan
January 6th, 2019, 08:26 PM
I say congrats to him. He did something pretty cool to break the records so congrats. You can make a case for Stick and I'd say in about 80% of the years you can make a case for someone who didn't win. It's a vote. Nothing statistical, nothing scientific. You're going off what people think and feel. Those people change over time, and value things differently. Oh well.

And I'm with Clenz, wins aren't a QB stat.

It's a tough call. All three are really good players.

To some degree, Hodges is the product of a "system." His offense is a high volume passing offense and he puts up silly numbers. Still, one reason puts up silly numbers is because he is a really good QB. He can make every throw, can run, change arm angles, fit the ball in tight gaps, and is really good at escaping pressure and keeping plays alive.

Stick had a phenomenal season. While Hodges is a system QB, you can make an argument that Stick was surrounded by better talent, a much better defense, and had a strong running game. Those things help make QBs look a lot better.

Hypothetically, if Hodges played for NDSU, the Bison are still 15-0 and Hodges lights up the scoreboard. If Stick plays for Samford, the Bulldogs still have a shaky defense, lack a running game, and probably still finish middle of the pack in the SoCon.

SU DOG
January 7th, 2019, 10:45 AM
Lots of Bison fans who congratulated Hodges also. You can point to unequalled success as a big factor, but still you have to admire the passion these folks show for their players and the Bison Team. I wish we had lots more of that with our SoCon Teams.

thebootfitter
January 7th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Congrats to Hodges! I haven't seen him play, but there's no doubt he is a great player and deserving of the award.

You can always make arguments for other players based on certain criteria, but the fact remains that Hodges won it based on the criteria that was important to those making the decision. End of story.