View Full Version : MSU PBP Guy Sexually Harrassed Former UM Beat Writer

mvemjsunpx
January 4th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Sanderson abruptly resigned December 29th. citing "devastating" family health issues back in Kansas.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/voice-of-the-bobcats-resigned-amid-sexual-harassment-investigation/article_8d90d2de-9f00-5ad5-95ee-8f462104adc6.html

UPDATE: Sanderson's twitter account is gone (it was still up this morning).

Grizalltheway
January 4th, 2019, 05:18 PM
Nothing good ever comes out of Kansas.

mvemjsunpx
January 4th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Nothing good ever comes out of Kansas.

Amie Just is a KU grad.

I think "Nothing good ever comes out of Bozeman." is a better adage. xsmiley_wix

wapiti
January 4th, 2019, 05:38 PM
From what I read. At the moment it is allegations. Nothing has been proven.

I remember a time not too long ago when a QB for a certain team had sexual assault leveled against him.
In the end it was dismissed. No assault charges could be proven.

Grizalltheway
January 4th, 2019, 05:54 PM
From what I read. At the moment it is allegations. Nothing has been proven.

I remember a time not too long ago when a QB for a certain team had sexual assault leveled against him.
In the end it was dismissed. No assault charges could be proven.

Due process and all that but these don't exactly help his case.

“Come down here. We can get drunk and make bad decisions! Lol!!!”

“Looks like we have a love connection!!”

“Don’t fight it…”

Just responded to the last text with, “Considering I’m not interested…”

“Got someone else you’re interested in? Hmmmmmmmmmmm? I’m nosey!” Sanderson replied.

“I f--king hate you,” Just replied.

“No you don’t. You LOVE me… And you know it! Hahahaha It’s ok, I won’t tell!” Sanderson replied.

A couple hours later, at 3:19 a.m., Sanderson sent another text to Just.

“We have a shoot around at 9. If you wanna get together at like 10:30, I’d love to see more of you Lol…I’m trying SO hard not to say something inappropriately flirty. Haha. I don’t care really. Where would you want to go?”

wapiti
January 4th, 2019, 07:02 PM
Due process and all that but these don't exactly help his case.

“Come down here. We can get drunk and make bad decisions! Lol!!!”

“Looks like we have a love connection!!”

“Don’t fight it…”

Just responded to the last text with, “Considering I’m not interested…”

“Got someone else you’re interested in? Hmmmmmmmmmmm? I’m nosey!” Sanderson replied.

“I f--king hate you,” Just replied.

“No you don’t. You LOVE me… And you know it! Hahahaha It’s ok, I won’t tell!” Sanderson replied.

A couple hours later, at 3:19 a.m., Sanderson sent another text to Just.

“We have a shoot around at 9. If you wanna get together at like 10:30, I’d love to see more of you Lol…I’m trying SO hard not to say something inappropriately flirty. Haha. I don’t care really. Where would you want to go?”

I have a tough time saying that is sexual assault.

Unwanted advances, Yes, but sexual assault No.

What is the legal definition of sexual assault?
I'm too lazy to look it up. Plus it is probably written by lawyers.

He might end up as a single man before this is done. Sending those text messages was a mistake.

If he did commit some of the other allegations, then I hope they find him guilty. Slapping a woman on the butt is not acceptable.

BisonFan02
January 4th, 2019, 07:33 PM
I thought no meant no at their school? #CCCCCCATS

mvemjsunpx
January 4th, 2019, 07:48 PM

He might end up as a single man before this is done. Sending those text messages was a mistake.

If he did commit some of the other allegations, then I hope they find him guilty. Slapping a woman on the butt is not acceptable.

I believe unwanted ass grabbing (of a sexual nature, anyway) is legally sexual assault, though I don't know if that's true in all states.

Hammersmith
January 4th, 2019, 07:55 PM

From what I'm reading, this is an investigation by his employers, not the police. So we're talking corporate sexual harassment, not criminal sexual assault. And it doesn't appear she's suing anyone, just reporting his conduct. At this point, I don't see anyone overreacting. He deserved to lose his job(IMO with the current facts) but not go to jail. He's lost his job and he's not going to jail. I'd say the university dragged its feet a little in the investigation. Pretty clear they didn't want to fire him in the middle of the season. But it doesn't appear at this point that they tried to sweep it under the rug. Can't easily find when she left the Missoulian to see if she could've stayed if they fired him faster. It almost sounds like she filed the complaint as she was already leaving for NOLA.

mvemjsunpx
January 4th, 2019, 08:01 PM
From what I'm reading, this is an investigation by his employers, not the police. So we're talking corporate sexual harassment, not criminal sexual assault. And it doesn't appear she's suing anyone, just reporting his conduct. At this point, I don't see anyone overreacting. He deserved to lose his job(IMO with the current facts) but not go to jail. He's lost his job and he's not going to jail. I'd say the university dragged its feet a little in the investigation. Pretty clear they didn't want to fire him in the middle of the season. But it doesn't appear at this point that they tried to sweep it under the rug. Can't easily find when she left the Missoulian to see if she could've stayed if they fired him faster. It almost sounds like she filed the complaint as she was already leaving for NOLA.

The complaint was apparently filed in September. She left about a week into October, right after the Portland State homecoming debacle (she announced her departure about a week before that, IIRC).

I remember thinking at the time it was odd someone would leave in the middle of the season, but I was more surprised there was an open beat-writer position for her to take.

MTfan4life
January 5th, 2019, 02:36 AM
The complaint was apparently filed in September. She left about a week into October, right after the Portland State homecoming debacle (she announced her departure about a week before that, IIRC).

I remember thinking at the time it was odd someone would leave in the middle of the season, but I was more surprised there was an open beat-writer position for her to take.

I agree. It was very weird for a Griz reporter to leave in the middle of Griz football season. Although the allure of working with LSU made some sense. Now the timing makes a lot more sense.

I thought no meant no at their school? #CCCCCCATS

Pretty sure a guy who merely trolls around the press boxes at athletic events has nothing to do with the actual school or its environment. He wasn't even employed by MSU.

My favorite excerpt from the story:

Also on Friday, Sanderson via his Facebook page said that he was logging "off Facebook for good."
"In addition to that, recent studies of Facebook give me cause to be concerned about privacy."

So not until recently did this college graduate realize that things you put on a very public website on the internet might not stay fully private.

My second favorite excerpt:

Sanderson said the texts have been taken out context.“If somebody wants to read them as sexually suggestive that’s fine,” Sanderson said. “They were not intended that way. I viewed her as friend and it was just one friend ribbing another, me giving her a hard time. That’s it.”
In his interview with Maxson, “Mr. Sanderson became visibly angry and denied sending any texts to Ms. Just,” the report said.

So, even though he never actually sent those texts, they were still taken out of context! ;)

You're innocent until proven guilty in my book. However, I feel like if you want to claim innocence, it'd be best to stick with one story the whole time. And find a way to shut up all these witnesses who also must be out to get you...

Whatever happens, this should NOT be made about MSU or to somehow reflect MSU. Just some apparent weirdo who happened to get a sports announcing job in Bozeman.

100%GRIZ
January 5th, 2019, 09:17 AM
I agree. It was very weird for a Griz reporter to leave in the middle of Griz football season. Although the allure of working with LSU made some sense. Now the timing makes a lot more sense.

Pretty sure a guy who merely trolls around the press boxes at athletic events has nothing to do with the actual school or its environment. He wasn't even employed by MSU.

So not until recently did this college graduate realize that things you put on a very public website on the internet might not stay fully private.

So, even though he never actually sent those texts, they were still taken out of context! ;)

You're innocent until proven guilty in my book. However, I feel like if you want to claim innocence, it'd be best to stick with one story the whole time. And find a way to shut up all these witnesses who also must be out to get you...

Whatever happens, this should NOT be made about MSU or to somehow reflect MSU. Just some apparent weirdo who happened to get a sports announcing job in Bozeman.
Agree 100%!

mvemjsunpx
January 5th, 2019, 01:29 PM

Yeah, I agree with all this. I'm seeing a few people on eGriz & Bobcatnation trying to claim "Let's wait until we have all the facts, because I'm sure there's another side to this." The problem with that argument is that Sanderson has already given his side, and most everything he's claimed/denied has already been shown to be a lie.

Yeah, I think so too. From reading the article: it's pretty clear which side MSU believes, and it ain't Sanderson's.