PDA

View Full Version : Happy and HEALTHY New Year, All!

ngineer
December 31st, 2018, 10:25 AM
Alone in my office and taking my lunch break. Quiet time affords one the luxury of thinking about the year past and the one to come. I hope everyone here, and those not, have a safe and fun New Year. But, more importantly, that everyone has a healthy one, for without that, nothing else is possible.

I am so glad to see 2018 go. Not only did I lose my Dad, who was also a long time high school football coach and, as such, we bonded over this great sport for many decades, but I lost a number of good friends to various health issues, though cancer was by far the leader. A number of my friends are also struggling with health issues (and I don't consider 'us' all that old--in our mid-late 60's). And then, we think of those much younger, such as our head coach, Andy Coen, at Lehigh with early diagnosis of Alzheimers, and some former players with ALS. I am sure we all have friends and family members going through the same ordeals. It just seems that this year resulted in the 'mother lode' of misery. Despite all that, I know I am blessed with a wonderful family and many friends who help soften blows that occur along the way. An I appreciate this place to visit and connect with others who have the same passion for true college football. Thank you Ursus for all you do for the AGS Community, and I invite all to contribute what you can to keep it humming.

Always an optimist, I look forward to 2019 as being a year of improvement everywhere and I wish eveyone, here, the best that the new year can give you. See you next year!

ngineer​

cx500d
December 31st, 2018, 12:36 PM
Alone in my office and taking my lunch break. Quiet time affords one the luxury of thinking about the year past and the one to come. I hope everyone here, and those not, have a safe and fun New Year. But, more importantly, that everyone has a healthy one, for without that, nothing else is possible.

I am so glad to see 2018 go. Not only did I lose my Dad, who was also a long time high school football coach and, as such, we bonded over this great sport for many decades, but I lost a number of good friends to various health issues, though cancer was by far the leader. A number of my friends are also struggling with health issues (and I don't consider 'us' all that old--in our mid-late 60's). And then, we think of those much younger, such as our head coach, Andy Coen, at Lehigh with early diagnosis of Alzheimers, and some former players with ALS. I am sure we all have friends and family members going through the same ordeals. It just seems that this year resulted in the 'mother lode' of misery. Despite all that, I know I am blessed with a wonderful family and many friends who help soften blows that occur along the way. An I appreciate this place to visit and connect with others who have the same passion for true college football. Thank you Ursus for all you do for the AGS Community, and I invite all to contribute what you can to keep it humming.

Always an optimist, I look forward to 2019 as being a year of improvement everywhere and I wish eveyone, here, the best that the new year can give you. See you next year!

ngineer​
Best wishes to you ngineer.... don’t work yourself to death. Life is short, think about enjoying retirement.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 31st, 2018, 04:09 PM

ngineer​

That is a great post my friend. Thanks for the tip of the cap, I appreciate it. I really hope 2019 is great for you as I had the losses in 2017 and then this last year was a few as well but it was a much better year so hoping it goes that way for you.

I do treasure being able to come here and joust and have a lot of fun with people around the country that share a passion for FCS too. I also wanted to say thank you for a generous donation to the cause earlier today.

I hope all the people checking in around here have one of your best years ever.

RichH2
December 31st, 2018, 04:54 PM

ngineer​

Thanks ngineer. Perf
ectly and poignantly put. It has been a year of loss for many of us but we still go on. A lot of memories to treasure and some to try to forget. For 2019, I wish for a better more peaceful and kind year for all of us.
For Lehigh fans,a great new Head coach, plus EIWA title and titles for both Bball squads.( What the heck, worth a shot)
For us OTD guys, each year seems to see the loss of teammates and classmates. My annual Lafayette crew has gone from 16 to 5 over the years. Can look forward to another grandchild in March.
Our condolences for the passing of your Dad. No matter when, that leaves a hole that cannot be filled.

caribbeanhen
December 31st, 2018, 05:01 PM
Classy !

All the best to you Sir!

Seawolf97
December 31st, 2018, 08:19 PM
Happy 2019 to everyone in the FCS world and their families.

Keeper
December 31st, 2018, 08:21 PM
Amen.
We could use all the optimism we can get.

Derby City Duke
December 31st, 2018, 10:23 PM

ngineer​

Thanks for putting into eloquent words what many of us have experienced this year. I've added too many post-it notes to my HS senior annual, reflecting more classmates lost (and we are now just in our late 50s) to accident or disease. I've watched from afar as my mother loses more and more of her memory, though her overall health remains good at 88.

Happy New Year to you as well and best wishes to all in the AGS community for 2019.

ngineer
December 31st, 2018, 10:57 PM
Best wishes to you ngineer.... don’t work yourself to death. Life is short, think about enjoying retirement.

Oh, I figured that out awhile ago. I have learned to ease off the pedal, but there are certain obligations in the profession that cannot be ignored. "The law is a jealous mistress" it is said. Closed my firm last year and am now in the 'of counsel' role as I try and wind up my cases that just don't go away with a snap of the fingers, though I wish some did! Thank you.

Bisonator
January 1st, 2019, 09:33 AM
Happy new everybody! We made it to another year!xdrunkyx

Go...gate
January 2nd, 2019, 09:03 PM
Happy New Year to all!

Ivytalk
January 3rd, 2019, 08:53 AM
Very fine post, ng. Very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I had the privilege of meeting him a couple of times at Lehigh games. And lawyers can happily retire — take it from me! I loved my work, but I didn’t miss it for five minutes after I stopped.xsmiley_wix

CenMEBlackBearFan
January 3rd, 2019, 11:58 AM
Happy New Years to all and well put ngineer. As I enter my 6th decade of living I too look forward to the day of just saying let's travel and watch a FCS game somewhere in the country!!!