PDA

View Full Version : UNI and App. State in 2007?

igo4uni
April 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
"Appalachian State, the two-time defending I-AA national champion, is looking for a Sept. 22 game, but isn't eager to play it in the UNI-Dome. UNI isn't interested in going to Boone, N.C., this season, either."

"I've talked to probably 75 schools, and I would bet there have been 400 phone calls, e-mails and faxes back and forth," said Hartzell. "It has been a big effort.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2007/04/08/sports/local/doc46186fd24f727614527354.txt

Cocky
April 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hell, call our AD he already has two games for the 22nd. I'm sure a third wouldn't be a big problem.

Tod
April 8th, 2007, 10:44 PM
"Appalachian State, the two-time defending I-AA national champion, is looking for a Sept. 22 game, but isn't eager to play it in the UNI-Dome. UNI isn't interested in going to Boone, N.C., this season, either."

"I've talked to probably 75 schools, and I would bet there have been 400 phone calls, e-mails and faxes back and forth," said Hartzell. "It has been a big effort.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2007/04/08/sports/local/doc46186fd24f727614527354.txt

At least your AD knows what he's doing, he is trying his best to not schedule the Panthers out of the playoffs.

Good Luck!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

crunifan
April 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hopefully Drake is nice and will move their schedule around so we can play them.

This is not the year to schedule ourselves out of the playoffs. Our team has too much talent to take that away from them by stupid scheduling.

I'd love a series with Appalachian State, but the year after would be best.

ASU
April 9th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Appalachian State probably wants the first game to avoid someone signing a home-and-home and then cancelling after the first game. Has happened too often. Would really make sense to play in the UNI dome first since ASU is building their 7 story Press Box, Visitor Suites, weight room, etc. behind their west stands.xbowx

appfan2008
April 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Appalachian State probably wants the first game to avoid someone signing a home-and-home and then cancelling after the first game. Has happened too often. Would really make sense to play in the UNI dome first since ASU is building their 7 story Press Box, Visitor Suites, weight room, etc. behind their west stands.xbowx
I agree but it is impossible to trust that any one would return the favor these days... I agree that this year we ought to suck it up and head to iowa but i dont think either of us will back down so it just wont happen even though i want it to IMO

asu3peat
April 9th, 2007, 08:35 AM
"This is not the year to schedule ourselves out of the playoffs. Our team has too much talent to take that away from them by stupid scheduling.

I'd love a series with Appalachian State, but the year after would be best."

I too would love to see this series, but I can respect where you guys are coming from. You already have a tough schedule this season and playing app won't make it any easier, but that series sure would be fun to watch. Maybe we'll get to see it happen in the future if not this year!

appfan2008
April 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I agree but app is in the same boat if we lose michigan and uni then what... we basically have to go 6-1 in conference to make sure we are in which is going to be very difficult to do but we can do it!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Is there something in the App St. AD handbook that says, "Thou must always schedule teams that wear purple"? :)

MplsBison
April 9th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Purple (violet) is the most intense color, actually.

Red is the least.

Mr. C
April 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Hell, call our AD he already has two games for the 22nd. I'm sure a third wouldn't be a big problem.
Hey, split-squad games, like spring training.
:D :) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx xrolleyesx xcoolx :p xeekx ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :D

Mr. C
April 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM
There is a lot of pressure for the upper-echalon teams like Appalachian State and Northern Iowa to schedule six home games for financial reasons. ASU has gotten to the place like Montana, where it is hard to turn away from a potential 23,000 crowd and all of the revenue it produces.

And all of this stuff of scheduling yourself out of the playoffs, if you are good enough to win the national championship, you are good enough to play a tough schedule. How likely is it that a team that goes 7-4 will turn around and win the national title? Not very.

Mr. C
April 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM
BTW, why did UNI cancel out on Stephen F. Austin? I liked that series when it was being played. It was one of those good interconference games

texcap
April 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM
There is a lot of pressure for the upper-echalon teams like Appalachian State and Northern Iowa to schedule six home games for financial reasons. ASU has gotten to the place like Montana, where it is hard to turn away from a potential 23,000 crowd and all of the revenue it produces.

And all of this stuff of scheduling yourself out of the playoffs, if you are good enough to win the national championship, you are good enough to play a tough schedule. How likely is it that a team that goes 7-4 will turn around and win the national title? Not very.

I agree it is not likely, but App went 8-3 and then won it all in 2005. No, it is not 7-4, but still pretty close.

Tod
April 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Agreed, Mr. C. But sometimes, making the playoffs is a victory in itself. :)

Peems
April 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Agreed, Mr. C. But sometimes, making the playoffs is a victory in itself. :)

Not in Montana!!!

igo4uni
April 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM
BTW, why did UNI cancel out on Stephen F. Austin? I liked that series when it was being played. It was one of those good interconference games

I have no idea.

Black Saturday
April 9th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Not in Montana!!!

Given Montana's current strength of schedule and the number of home games in '07, if they lose 1 game they should be excluded from the playoffs. xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
April 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM

We've been looking for an answer.

appfan2008
April 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Not in Montana!!!
Nor at ASU either

UNI MadCat
April 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Btw, to put an end to the speculation, UNI finalized their schedule. No ASU to be seen.

appfan2008
April 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM
true bummer that that game was not able to be worked out

SoCon48
April 10th, 2007, 10:19 AM

And all of this stuff of scheduling yourself out of the playoffs, if you are good enough to win the national championship, you are good enough to play a tough schedule

The difference in the levels of the top 2-4 teams are so close that those in charge of a program are doing the program a disservice if they back themselves into a corner seeding-wise and end up fighting up hill for 3 straight road games when if they're smart they can help to control their destiny by smart and balanced scheduling. Untill the NCAA puts more stock in SOS, we need to consider the ultimate goal each year in the FCS.
One has to think what the 2000 play-offs would have been like if ASU could have played the Montana game in Boone instead of the tail end of 3 straight road games. Losing 2000 miles away in OT by 3 pts makes one wonder what would have transpired with better seeding. i can't recall what our seeding was, but with a ranking of 14th and 3 road games, it couldn't been good. ASU had dropped 4 spots in the rankings with just a 6 pt loss to then ranked #2 Troy State early in the season after handling Wake the week prior.
While many teams were building or defending their rankings at season opening, ASU was facing an ACC team on the road and going up against the #2 I-AA program back to back.
At that time in particular, there was enough challenge in facing a grueling SoCon schedule and a I-A per year that adding in the Auburn wash out laden Troy State tam was unnecessary.
Michigan this year is worth balancing out with up to 2 patsies.

Mr. C
April 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM
It wasn't overscheduling that got Appalachian State in trouble in 2000 as much as the bus accident following the East Tennessee State game. For the next month, the Mountaineers played pretty much in a daze (pulling out an 18-17 game against Furman they should have lost at home the next week, losing at Georgia Southern in a real unfocused manner, finally playing a good game against Wofford, but then getting upset by UTC, 30-27). ASU really didn't put things together until the end of the year. That was a talented team (arguably the most talented ASU team ever) that was very capable of a national championship. It would have been interesting to have seen what that team would have done without that nasty accident disrupting things.

lizrdgizrd
April 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Btw, to put an end to the speculation, UNI finalized their schedule. No ASU to be seen.
boo :(

SoCon48
April 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM
It wasn't overscheduling that got Appalachian State in trouble in 2000 as much as the bus accident following the East Tennessee State game. For the next month, the Mountaineers played pretty much in a daze (pulling out an 18-17 game against Furman they should have lost at home the next week, losing at Georgia Southern in a real unfocused manner, finally playing a good game against Wofford, but then getting upset by UTC, 30-27). ASU really didn't put things together until the end of the year. That was a talented team (arguably the most talented ASU team ever) that was very capable of a national championship. It would have been interesting to have seen what that team would have done without that nasty accident disrupting things.

Good points. Thing is, we had no breathers at all that year
Losing at home to Troy sure didn't impress the committee. 3 pt loss on the road to Chatt was not too earth shaking. (Chatt came within a point (44-45) of Furman in Greeneville that year, too).
My point was that had we had most teams schedule, we would have had a normal path or close to an even table into the play-offs. The closeness of our play-off games shows the evenness of the field. (3 pts, 3 pts and 3 pts).
You're right, though, we had good talent but had to rely on some young players at critical times, and only ranked from 8th to 14th most of the season. One week at #4 before the Troy State game dropped us 4 places.

We certainly didn't deserve 3 road games in the quest.

igo4uni
April 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041007aaa.html