PDA

View Full Version : Are the Play-Offs About More Than the Championship?

Outsider1
December 18th, 2018, 08:40 AM
kalm (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?1447-kalm)

Re: What was the best game in the FCS playoffs this year?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Outsider1 http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2732644#post2732644)
One of my favorite games was still UIW vs MSU. Part of that are for the reasons many didn't like it, or didn't want it. That isn't out of of spite but because it was the type of game that makes the play-offs the play-offs. UIW was the clear underdog and down a key player. Still, they had an explosive offense. They had to go up and play in an entirely different environment against a tough and physical MSU. Both teams weren't predicted to go far in the play-offs in general, yet had the opportunity to prove everyone wrong. That is what the play-offs are all about. In the end, it was a physical fun game and I enjoyed watching a team/match-up I wasn't familiar with play; another reason for the play-offs. Neither team advanced much, but it was still a really good game.

Great post. I couldn't agree more, and I enjoyed that game.

Programs that are worlds apart culturally and geographically and may never meet get the opportunity. It's great for the kids to see new places and for the few fans that make the trip. And for those teams that are eliminated early it provides not only an extra week of practice, but at least another week or two of attention promoting the program through the local and social media. This can lead to increased tickets sales and donations down the road which leads to better programs.

That's why a 24 team playoff is better for FCS than a 16.

Outsider1
December 18th, 2018, 08:42 AM
The post season is upon most of us and this quick comment and reply poses a great question that has been touched upon in multiple threads. For many programs and fans the play-offs are about more than just the championship. It isn't unlike the bowl games in that it gives great exposure to programs for recruiting and extra play. It provides great experiences for players and fans, etc.....

Professor Chaos
December 18th, 2018, 08:55 AM
It's a matter of opinion but for me the answer is an emphatic YES.

I'd say the same thing about the basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc tournaments as well because for some programs just getting a spot in "the dance" is a big deal and to win a game, any game, in that dance is an even bigger deal. Some may write that off as "participation trophy mentality" but in college athletics where parity is a foreign concept I would call it a realistic mentality. Whoever wins the title down in Frisco will rightly feel a sense of accomplishment for achieving their ultimate goal. For football programs like NDSU and EWU winning an FCS national title is their ultimate goal. For programs like Duquesne and San Diego that's not realistic so don't downplay or ignore the sense of accomplishment those programs get for beating a full scholarship team like Cal Poly/Northern Arizona/Towson on the road in the playoffs. Don't downplay or ignore the sense of accomplishment for programs like ETSU, Lamar, or UIW for what it meant for those programs just to make the postseason.

If the only purpose of the tournament is to crown a champion then even 16 teams is too many. It should be 8 at most and probably 4 is plenty (and what does that sound like?). Back to a basketball analogy I really enjoy watching the One Shining Moment montage that CBS puts together at the end of every NCAA men's basketball tournament. There's so many of those moments in one tournament that belong to many more teams than just the one that won the title. The FCS playoffs are similar but on a smaller scale and it's not a bad thing that those moments worthy of celebration belong to more teams than just NDSU or EWU. In the end everybody but one team ends their season in disappointment but the journey can be an accomplishment in and of itself even if it doesn't end at the intended destination. xtwocentsx

MSUBobcat
December 18th, 2018, 09:34 AM

I'd say the same thing about the basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc tournaments as well because for some programs just getting a spot in "the dance" is a big deal and to win a game, any game, in that dance is an even bigger deal. Some may write that off as "participation trophy mentality" but in college athletics where parity is a foreign concept I would call it a realistic mentality. Whoever wins the title down in Frisco will rightly feel a sense of accomplishment for achieving their ultimate goal. For football programs like NDSU and EWU winning an FCS national title is their ultimate goal. For programs like Duquesne and San Diego that's not realistic so don't downplay or ignore the sense of accomplishment those programs get for beating a full scholarship team like Cal Poly/Northern Arizona/Towson on the road in the playoffs. Don't downplay or ignore the sense of accomplishment for programs like ETSU, Lamar, or UIW for what it meant for those programs just to make the postseason.

If the only purpose of the tournament is to crown a champion then even 16 teams is too many. It should be 8 at most and probably 4 is plenty (and what does that sound like?). Back to a basketball analogy I really enjoy watching the One Shining Moment montage that CBS puts together at the end of every NCAA men's basketball tournament. There's so many of those moments in one tournament that belong to many more teams than just the one that won the title. The FCS playoffs are similar but on a smaller scale and it's not a bad thing that those moments worthy of celebration belong to more teams than just NDSU or EWU. In the end everybody but one team ends their season in disappointment but the journey can be an accomplishment in and of itself even if it doesn't end at the intended destination. xtwocentsx

xoutofrepx

TheKingpin28
December 18th, 2018, 10:21 AM

If the only purpose of the tournament is to crown a champion then even 16 teams is too many. It should be 8 at most and probably 4 is plenty (and what does that sound like?). Back to a basketball analogy I really enjoy watching the One Shining Moment montage that CBS puts together at the end of every NCAA men's basketball tournament. There's so many of those moments in one tournament that belong to many more teams than just the one that won the title. The FCS playoffs are similar but on a smaller scale and it's not a bad thing that those moments worthy of celebration belong to more teams than just NDSU or EWU. In the end everybody but one team ends their season in disappointment but the journey can be an accomplishment in and of itself even if it doesn't end at the intended destination. xtwocentsxPreach! This is beyond accurate. This is the quintessential point for the FCS as a whole.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bison56
December 18th, 2018, 10:24 AM

Excellent post sir.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f1/f5/4d/f1f54d557cea8230d89ab11a47bad369--being-a-gentleman-respect-women.jpg

semobison
December 18th, 2018, 10:26 AM
I went to Dickinson State before transferring to NDSU. Their football team made the quarterfinals of the NAIA tournament this year. It was a BFD for the program and the community!

Red & Black
December 18th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Excellent post. I could not agree more.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I've said this in a couple other threads, but the one thing that FBS does have is a natural ceiling of accomplishment which is not necessarily a good thing. In a subdivision of over 100 teams, it's just unrealistic for everyone to have the expectation of winning a championship.

People may hate bowl games and think there are too many or that they are a participation trophy, but in some ways I think they can be more wholesome and a better celebration of college football than a playoff. Look at it this way: if you're in a system that just has playoffs and no bowls, if you're a good team there's a 96% chance you will end your season on a loss. That just doesn't feel right to me. I'm not saying every team deserves a trophy or whatever (hell no), but teams their seems to be a lesser feeling of failure associated with losing a bowl game and losing a quarterfinal matchup. Similarly, there's a better sense of accomplishment for winning a new years six bowl than winning a round of 16 playoff game.

That's why I like watching bowl games, even if it's between the Sun Belt and Conference USA. Just my opinion. I would love it if the FCS went back to like 8 teams in the playoffs and had some sort of bowl process for the remaining ~16 teams or so (it would be less drawn out of a process IMO) but that would probably lose more money. I obviously feel this way because I'm skeptical my team will ever get to a championship, let alone win one an I think there are a lot of top 25 stalwarts who feel the same way.

Silenoz
December 18th, 2018, 10:49 AM
When you've lost 5 of your last 6 championships, and blown another couple heartbreakers in the semis, no. Call it a perpetual sense of unfinished business but it's championship (lol?) or bust in some ways around here.

But I am grateful it let us see programs like Wofford, Coastal, etc. Change things up.

Outsider1
December 18th, 2018, 11:19 AM
I've said this in a couple other threads, but the one thing that FBS does have is a natural ceiling of accomplishment which is not necessarily a good thing. In a subdivision of over 100 teams, it's just unrealistic for everyone to have the expectation of winning a championship.

People may hate bowl games and think there are too many or that they are a participation trophy, but in some ways I think they can be more wholesome and a better celebration of college football than a playoff. Look at it this way: if you're in a system that just has playoffs and no bowls, if you're a good team there's a 96% chance you will end your season on a loss. That just doesn't feel right to me. I'm not saying every team deserves a trophy or whatever (hell no), but teams their seems to be a lesser feeling of failure associated with losing a bowl game and losing a quarterfinal matchup. Similarly, there's a better sense of accomplishment for winning a new years six bowl than winning a round of 16 playoff game.

That's why I like watching bowl games, even if it's between the Sun Belt and Conference USA. Just my opinion. I would love it if the FCS went back to like 8 teams in the playoffs and had some sort of bowl process for the remaining ~16 teams or so (it would be less drawn out of a process IMO) but that would probably lose more money. I obviously feel this way because I'm skeptical my team will ever get to a championship, let alone win one an I think there are a lot of top 25 stalwarts who feel the same way.

1) I agree Professor on your post EXCELLENT comments.
2) Youngterrier, I think you are spot on, which is why I actually like Professor's basketball analogy. I want that championship!!! I want that opportunity to win that championship!!! But I also want those other opportunities that are available even if I don't win it. The exposure of a playoff game and the excitement of being able to play in post season are much more than participation trophies. They provide so much. The pool is VERY big and we have all seen the divisional, regional/geographical, and other barriers that exist. The FCS system may be imperfect, just like the FBS, but the opportunities they do provide are invaluable to all the programs that are out there.

Outsider1
December 18th, 2018, 11:23 AM
When you've lost 5 of your last 6 championships, and blown another couple heartbreakers in the semis, no. Call it a perpetual sense of unfinished business but it's championship (lol?) or bust in some ways around here.

But I am grateful it let us see programs like Wofford, Coastal, etc. Change things up.

+1

I don't think any of us want to lose that winning goal mentality that a championship brings, or the obvious other side of that coin, but your gratefulness is separate from that. I guess I see the play-offs as more than just a two sided coin.

Professor Chaos
December 18th, 2018, 11:57 AM

I don't see what the problem is with ending the season on a loss. It provides closure. Every other sport and every other division except for FBS football has winners play winners until there's no one left to play.

Imagine if every Bowl winner played another Bowl winner? Last year UCF would've gotten a chance to back up their bravado by playing someone like Ohio St the next week. What if a team like App St was able to parley their best season ever at the FBS level and a New Orleans Bowl win into a game against a team like Georgia? Would they win? Probably not but you can't tell me the way the ended their season with the current bowl system is better than having a shot like that. If they did something like that I guarantee you'd have some great stories from MAC/Sun Belt/CUSA teams rising up to upset an SEC/ACC/B1G team ending that P5 conference team's season and that would provide fans of those schools in the lesser conference memories for years to come. They'd still have no realistic shot at a national title but their ceiling would be a lot higher than the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl against Middle Tennessee.

Red & Black
December 18th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Not intended as smack, but I'd think Montana making a deep run into the playoffs would be considered a big success given the recent past, no?

kalm
December 18th, 2018, 01:46 PM

Wow, PC. Great stuff as usual. xbowx

kalm
December 18th, 2018, 01:47 PM

I want you guys to get really good again and soon. It's great for FCS.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2018, 01:57 PM
1000%, yes !!!

Teams aspiring to win each game, reach the post season, and then competing in postseason are what make sports what they are for all involved .. players, coaches, AND fans. it is about identifying and rewarding the best teams by extending their season for a chance at a championship .. or runner up (Go ISUr !!!) .. or final 4 .. or elite 8 ... it's about proving yourself and working to get better. It all matters and builds character, regardless of whether you're the last team standing at the end. How can it not be a good thing. How can it only matter if you're the national champion .. that makes no sense to me.

So I'll say it ... maybe Ricky Bobby is wrong !!

https://i.imgflip.com/yvv86.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/yvex3)

Silenoz
December 18th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I want you guys to get really good again and soon. It's great for FCS.

Plan for coming back:
Step one: don't lose homecoming games to Portland States at home
Step two: don't blow every 20+ point lead at home we have
Step three: nevermind, drop football because our enrollment is 6,000 by 2022.
Step four: we are a basketball school now

Silenoz
December 18th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Not intended as smack, but I'd think Montana making a deep run into the playoffs would be considered a big success given the recent past, no?

I'd say going more than 2 games in a row without embarrassing ourselves would be a big success. And yes, such a season would be cause for optimism for the future. But no, even if we made the semis, no one is gonna look back at that season and think especially fondly about it. The taste of ashes is too widespread, the damage is done.

ASU33
December 18th, 2018, 02:47 PM

Great post!

maine612
December 18th, 2018, 04:51 PM
As a Maine fan, this year was fantastic. It's all about the journey, the climb, the next step. I often wonder how the NDSU fans stay so engaged and intense with no other mountain to climb. As long as there is more to conquer, you can dream, work, and strive. The playoffs are great!

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2018, 06:20 PM
As a Maine fan, this year was fantastic. It's all about the journey, the climb, the next step.
As long as there is more to conquer, you can dream, work, and strive. The playoffs are great!

People seem to forget that we have had to climb that mountain every year also. Every year is different. Different injuries, new coaches, new players, different OOC schedule, different teams in the playoffs, other teams getting better, etc etc etc.

cx500d
December 18th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Its great to see new teams, teams that haven't been seen in awhile, and the constant also-rans to see what they can do. I really enjoyed the run by Maine and Colgate this year.

Bisonoline
December 18th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Its great to see new teams, teams that haven't been seen in awhile, and the constant also-rans to see what they can do. I really enjoyed the run by Maine and Colgate this year.

Enjoyed the Colgate game.

maine612
December 19th, 2018, 06:38 PM
People seem to forget that we have had to climb that mountain every year also. Every year is different. Different injuries, new coaches, new players, different OOC schedule, different teams in the playoffs, other teams getting better, etc etc etc.

For sure true. NDSU has certainly earned it. Great facilities, investment, fan support...great program that deserves to win. But winning every year while blowing out almost everyone would take a bit of the excitement away for me. I am a big Patriots fan and I am bored of the regular season. Yes they will be bad when Tom and Bill leave.... but 13-3, 12-4. (11-5 this year) gets predictable and old.