PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga’s next coach

Milktruck74
December 14th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Rumors out of Chattanooga are the top candidate for the Mocs Head Coach is ETSUs OC Mike Rader. He has ties to East Tennesee and the SoCon.

citdog
December 14th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Does it really matter? Who is the best guy to lure junior college guys who can barely read and FBS trannies? UTC is an institution that only requires a pulse to be admitted to. Several online college degrees are worth more than a"degree" from Tennessee Chattanooga.

Milktruck74
December 14th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Does it really matter? Who is the best guy to lure junior college guys who can barely read and FBS trannies? UTC is an institution that only requires a pulse to be admitted to. Several online college degrees are worth more than a"degree" from Tennessee Chattanooga.

Shannon Faulkner couldn’t get into Chattanooga

FUBeAR
December 14th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Shannon Faulkner couldn’t get into ChattanoogaI thought she transferred, was admitted along with the other 24 JUCO transfers, and played OL for the Mocs after the misogynistic bell hops ran her off. No?

Milktruck74
December 15th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I thought she transferred, was admitted along with the other 24 JUCO transfers, and played OL for the Mocs after the misogynistic bell hops ran her off. No?

No, she transfered to App State....where she wrestled...2 time All-SoCon Heavyweight.

Milktruck74
December 15th, 2018, 09:03 AM

With the school being 94% male, it's Probably going to be a Citadel Grad...

CID1990
December 15th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Shannon Faulkner would stomp a mudhole in most of you guys asses

shes way above my weight class I know that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
December 15th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Shannon Faulkner would stomp a mudhole in most of you guys asses

shes way above my weight class I know that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way above Nancy Mace's also, but I think that Nancy Ruth would be too fast and smart for her.

Mocs123
December 15th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Lots of names being thrown around by Mocs fans.....Who should we go hire?

An proven HC like Kerwin Bell or Joe Harasymiak?

An FBS Assistant like Lorenzo Ward or Rusty Wright?

A FCS Assistant like Mike Raider or Jeff Durden?

A CFL HC like Chris Jones?

I know there are a lot of really knowledgeable football people on here....What do you have?

Reign of Terrier
December 15th, 2018, 01:41 PM
I hate to digress this thread more but was Shannon Faulkner actually a wrestler and if so was she good?

I know you guys may be messing around but this is a factoid I didn't know if true

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

cx500d
December 15th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I hate to digress this thread more but was Shannon Faulkner actually a wrestler and if so was she good?

I know you guys may be messing around but this is a factoid I didn't know if true

JFC

Sandlapper Spike
December 15th, 2018, 02:27 PM

Uh, no.

She was not athletic.

--

Back to the UTC coaching search news...I think Kerwin Bell has to be near the top of the list of potential candidates.

citdog
December 15th, 2018, 02:33 PM

Appaholic "wrassled" her....

nekkid

gofurman
December 15th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Lots of names being thrown around by Mocs fans.....Who should we go hire?

An proven HC like Kerwin Bell or Joe Harasymiak?

An FBS Assistant like Lorenzo Ward or Rusty Wright?

A FCS Assistant like Mike Raider or Jeff Durden?

A CFL HC like Chris Jones?

I know there are a lot of really knowledgeable football people on here....What do you have?

ETSU OC may be great but I thought this year they ( ETSU) were better on D than O. thoughts ?

PaladinFan
December 15th, 2018, 08:47 PM
ETSU OC may be great but I thought this year they ( ETSU) were better on D than O. thoughts ?

They were. I do not really think that matters though.

I mean, Akron hired Arth, who didn't exactly light it up during two seasons at UTC. In fact, you could argue Arth did less with more than any other coach in the SoCon.

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2018, 12:08 AM
In fact, you could argue Arth did less with more than any other coach in the SoCon.I can of think of 1 other SoCon Coach in the running for that ‘honor.’

BTW - it seems the easiest path to an FBS HC job is to get a stint at Chattanooga (any position) on your resume, get an FCS HC job for 2 or 3 years, and go about 4-7 during those years. How hard is that? Worked for Arth & Healy.

FUBeAR plans to apply for a GA and/or QC job at Chatt as soon as the new HC is named!

Mocs123
December 16th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Any real discussion on possible candidates for the Chattanooga job?

What do you think of Kerwin Bell? Successful HC at Jacksonville (they hadn’t done much before he got there or since he left). It was non scholarship Pioneer League though, so how should that be factored in? He spent the last few years as HC of D2 Valdosta State on win the D2 NC yesterday.

He left Jacksonville because he was at odds with the administration- he wanted them to offer scholarships and move up to the Big South and the Administration wanted to stay non scholarship.

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Any real discussion on possible candidates for the Chattanooga job?

What do you think of Kerwin Bell? Successful HC at Jacksonville (they hadn’t done much before he got there or since he left). It was non scholarship Pioneer League though, so how should that be factored in? He spent the last few years as HC of D2 Valdosta State on win the D2 NC yesterday.

He left Jacksonville because he was at odds with the administration- he wanted them to offer scholarships and move up to the Big South and the Administration wanted to stay non scholarship.

I mean, I have no inside knowledge of UTC's thinking, but Bell certainly seems to have the resume for the job.

Any chance they take another stab and Chadwell?

Mocs123
December 16th, 2018, 09:46 AM
I’m not sure what exactly scared UTC away from Chadwell but I got the impression it had something to do with possible ncaa issues. I’m not sure if his time as interim HC at coastal takes some of the luster off but I wouldn’t be upset if he got another interview. You can’t deny the job he did at CSU.

Quarals name got tossed out on our forum

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I’m not sure what exactly scared UTC away from Chadwell but I got the impression it had something to do with possible ncaa issues. I’m not sure if his time as interim HC at coastal takes some of the luster off but I wouldn’t be upset if he got another interview. You can’t deny the job he did at CSU.

Quarals name got tossed out on our forum

Quarles?

His name was also bandied about by ETSU fans last season. There are clear Tennessee connections and he is clearly a good coach.

I do not know Quarles personally, though some on here do. I believe he is in his mid-50s and has only been a collegiate coach for two seasons. He's returned to his alma mater and is working with one of his close friends. I am not quite sure whether he's interested in climbing the coaching ladder at this stage.

I think Furman has a few guys that would be good options as a head coach - WR Coach Brian Bratton, DC Chad Staggs, OC George Quarles. Personally, I hope all four of those guys stay in Greenville and form the backbone of a strong coaching staff for the future.

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Also, this came up on the Elon thread, but Drew Cronic at Lenoir Rhyne would be a good one to look at

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Quarles?

I believe he is in his mid-50sEarly 50’s / ‘85 HS grad

Mocs123
December 16th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Drew Cronic was mentioned as well.

So was Lorenzo Ward but I'm not sure that we can afford him or he would be interested.

citdog
December 16th, 2018, 03:35 PM

So was Lorenzo Ward but I'm not sure that we can afford him or he would be interested.

Ward's son is a B-Back for The Citadel. He rushed for 4td's in the Cadets win over Samford.

dungeonjoe
December 16th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Ward's son is a B-Back for The Citadel. He rushed for 4td's in the Cadets win over Samford.
Lorenzo Ball might be available though.

gofurman
December 16th, 2018, 05:19 PM
They were. I do not really think that matters though.

I mean, Akron hired Arth, who didn't exactly light it up during two seasons at UTC. In fact, you could argue Arth did less with more than any other coach in the SoCon.

“Akron hired Arth, who didn't exactly light it up during two seasons at UTC. In fact, you could argue Arth did less with more than any other coach in the SoCon.[/QUOT. “

True. I first thought Arth stunk at UTC ... but it’s his success at John Carroll (?) and in Ohio they are hiring ... not his UTC record. Though if I were Akron I wouldn’t be thrilled w Arth hire. He didn’t do ANYTHING on offense at UTC. I know he has a OC but still. They did NOTHING. Similar results to Fowler at Furman. Great D but poor O. His only advantage is Arth showed success as HC. Fowler was always a DC and never had HC experience prior to FU. Arth great as D3 HC

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2018, 07:41 PM
“Akron hired Arth, who didn't exactly light it up during two seasons at UTC. In fact, you could argue Arth did less with more than any other coach in the SoCon.[/QUOT. “

True. I first thought Arth stunk at UTC ... but it’s his success at John Carroll (?) and in Ohio they are hiring ... not his UTC record. Though if I were Akron I wouldn’t be thrilled w Arth hire. He didn’t do ANYTHING on offense at UTC. I know he has a OC but still. They did NOTHING. Similar results to Fowler at Furman. Great D but poor O. His only advantage is Arth showed success as HC. Fowler was always a DC and never had HC experience prior to FU. Arth great as D3 HC

Arth also inherited a much better football team than Fowler did.

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2018, 07:46 PM

I would think Cronic has to be on the list at both Elon and UTC.

Cronic led Reinhardt to a 22-3 record at the NAIA level. As Furman OC, the Paladins were among the top SoCon offenses in a decade. In one season at LR, he went 12-2 before getting bounced by the eventual national champs in the quarters. Of course, the last two LR head coaches have moved directly to FCS head gigs.

I have long assumed that Cronic made the drop to D2 from Furman because it probably offered a quicker route to an FCS gig.

Milktruck74
December 17th, 2018, 07:43 AM
In 17 ETSU passing game was decent and when Mike took over in 18 it did not slide. Where he made improvement was in the running game. 71.0 ypg in 17 to 156 ypg in 18..... 8 rushing TDs to 26 TDs. (don't quote the numbers, but they are pretty close). Chattanooga doesn't really need much in the way of the passing game, and D is pretty good....Special teams and the ground game are horrific....so any help there would be a huge improvement. Mike Rader brings that.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Our AD came from Penn Sate, and has also been at ECU (06-13), UNLV (06-04), And JMU so he may pull some candidate out of a hat that we aren’t even thinking about. Hopefully it won’t be a shock like Arth a couple of years ago.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Another name that has a proponent or two is Brian Newberry the KSU DC.

Reign of Terrier
December 17th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Chattanooga needs an offensive-minded coach IMO

ElCid
December 17th, 2018, 03:06 PM

That's an understatement. Their O has been MIA.

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2018, 04:20 AM

I don't think it matters that much, so long as we get the right OC. Russ Huesman turned our program around and he was a Defensive guy and our Offense was pretty darn good in those years. Head coaches are like CEOs, some act as company president too, but the good ones hire really good VPs and then LET THEM DO THEIR THING. I want a HC that knows the right people to build a quality staff.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2018, 06:27 AM
FWIW: Arth was an offensive minded guy.

PaladinFan
December 18th, 2018, 09:30 AM

I stated my opinion on UTC's offense a while back, but the Mocs, to me, were far too predictable. Most of the throws were to one guy. Most of the runs were by one guy. It was almost as though you could pretty well anticipate the playcall based on down and distance.

It's not much different, in my view, from the issues Furman had a couple of years ago. Talented players on offense, but it was almost as though the opposing defense was reading the playbook. Football is much easier of a game when the defense has a pretty good idea where the ball is going.

GreenGlasses
December 18th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Did someone steal it then. In 2 years at Chattanooga the Mocs only scored 30 points twice when not playing someone not named VMI, when you add in VMI they done it 4 times. A 34-10 win vs Tennessee Tech and a 34-24 win vs UT Martin. If I was a UTC fan I would send a Christmas gift to the Akron athletic department for taking Arth off my hands.

I feel that UTC went as cheep as they could 2 years ago when picking Arth, there were many others on your list that would have been better, although you may have had to pay them a lil more.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Chattanooga Times Free Press reporter Gene Hargis is reporting the finalists to be:

Rusty Wright

Tony Ball

George Quarels

Jamey Chadwell

PaladinFan
December 18th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Chattanooga Times Free Press reporter Gene Hargis is reporting the finalists to be:

Rusty Wright

Tony Ball

George Quarels

Jamey Chadwell

I swear, if we lose our OC again for the third straight year I'm going to be annoyed. Wofford can't even give theirs away, and we seemingly have to find a new one every season.

On the plus side, if Furman can hang on to Quarles while two HC jobs open up in east Tennessee, he might be in Greenville for the long haul.

citdog
December 18th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Jamey Cheatwell will have Chatt on probation within 2 years of his hire date.

FUBeAR
December 18th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I swear, if we lose our OC again for the third straight year I'm going to be annoyed. Wofford can't even give theirs away, and we seemingly have to find a new one every season.

On the plus side, if Furman can hang on to Quarles while two HC jobs open up in east Tennessee, he might be in Greenville for the long haul.On the other hand, if he’s interested & they make him an outstanding offer, I hope with all my heart that Coach Quarles gets the job.

As a fellow Furman Alum, I kinda think that’s the way we all ought to feel. No?

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Please take Wade Lang. Dude can coach, I just think it has a ceiling. He can put any program on the map

PaladinFan
December 18th, 2018, 12:43 PM
On the other hand, if he’s interested & they make him an outstanding offer, I hope with all my heart that Coach Quarles gets the job.

As a fellow Furman Alum, I kinda think that’s the way we all ought to feel. No?

If Quarles wants the gig, I hope he gets it.

I am glad that we are back to a point where other programs want our coaches.

Mocs123
December 18th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Other names being thrown out as still in the mix are Jason Simpson and two new names for me Tee Martin and Trooper Taylor.

citdog
December 18th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Trooper Taylor.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/troopers2a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&strip=all

FUBeAR
December 18th, 2018, 05:28 PM
https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/troopers2a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&strip=allNot quite Coach Taylor’s image, but some similarities...

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/september-06-2014-trooper-taylor-arkansas-state-red-wolves-defensive-picture-id579040790?k=6&m=579040790&s=612x612&w=0&h=YHHlNc4x4Ph5IRPE3J5JuuCnkUXDAjcMBk43tzaiWoE=

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2018, 09:17 PM
It is not Trooper Taylor....not Simpson either.

It is Rusty Wright, Chadwell and Quarles.....in that order.

I love Rusty, he is my boy...but he has to bring in some oc/DC talent to help him.

Chadwell scares me....he can coach, no doubt.....but Baggage!!!!

Quarles is the unknown. the guy knows Xs and Os, but can he do it at the FCS level?

and then there is the fact that Wharton (AD) is fromthe Big 10 and may throw a curve ball and get a guy that is not on anybody's radar.....ala Arth!!!! The arth hire was the last Ad's attempt to "find" the next guy....a "look what I did" for his resume forthe UT job (which he didn't get).

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2018, 09:19 PM
https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/troopers2a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&strip=all

There was a time, albeit a few years back, where Trooper Taylor was considered the best recruiter in all of football.....and I'd take that!!! If Troop came to your house and talked to ya mama, you were signing with the Vols!!!!

FUBeAR
December 18th, 2018, 10:00 PM
There was a time, albeit a few years back, where Trooper Taylor was considered the best recruiter in all of football.....and I'd take that!!! If Troop came to your house and talked to ya mama, you were signing with the Vols!!!!met him a few years back when he was on the recruiting trail at the HS where I was Coaching. Not impressed. Of course he wasn’t trying to sign me. That said, he didn’t sign any of our kids either.

Not sure he’s bringing in many 5 Stars making $120k as the CB & Asst HC at Arkansas State.

His Recruiting Swami rep may be deserved...maybe not.

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Brian McLaughlin is reporting via Twitter that it'll be Randy Wright from Ga. State

https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/1075449427291226112

Milktruck74
December 19th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Brian McLaughlin is reporting via Twitter that it'll be Randy Wright from Ga. State

https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/1075449427291226112

Yes, it has been made official. Mark Wharton doesn't waste time on hires. It came down to Rusty and Chadwell and apparently Wharton didn't like Chadwells responses on some recruiting violations in his past.... said "THAT WON'T Happen on my watch!!!!" and went with Rusty. I played with Rusty and he was a GA on my the staff for my SR year. He is a good coach and an honest and humble man. I think his demeanor and the list of contacts he plans to bring with him meshed up well with what Wharton wants.

JSUSoutherner
December 19th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Yes, it has been made official. Mark Wharton doesn't waste time on hires. It came down to Rusty and Chadwell and apparently Wharton didn't like Chadwells responses on some recruiting violations in his past.... said "THAT WON'T Happen on my watch!!!!" and went with Rusty. I played with Rusty and he was a GA on my the staff for my SR year. He is a good coach and an honest and humble man. I think his demeanor and the list of contacts he plans to bring with him meshed up well with what Wharton wants.

Can't wait to start another UTC coach off with an L.

gofurman
December 19th, 2018, 06:09 PM

UTC “didn't like Chadwells responses on some recruiting violations in his past.... said "THAT WON'T Happen on my watch!!!!"

Good for UTC. And thanks for leaving Quarles at Furman !

longtimemocfan
December 19th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Arth also inherited a much better football team than Fowler did.In some regards maybe. The offensive line was a total mess. Didn't have much depth their to begin with along with 2 starters deciding to hang it up after the '16 season.
Not trying to defend Arth cause he didn't do a good job with what he had at all. No fire or passion ever seemed to be on display during the games.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tigonian02
December 20th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Jamey Cheatwell will have Chatt on probation within 2 years of his hire date.
Chadwell just got to FBS by leaving an FCS HC job for a coordinator job. He’s trying to do good enough to get his HC shot in the FBS, highly doubt he’s going back to FCS unless forced to.

citdog
December 20th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Chadwell just got to FBS by leaving an FCS HC job for a coordinator job. He’s trying to do good enough to get his HC shot in the FBS, highly doubt he’s going back to FCS unless forced to.

He's more than white trashy enough to fit in superbly in Pigs Ass, Ga as a coach for the eaglets...

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 04:46 PM
Does noone what this job? Most underwhelming hire and candidate pool imaginable. Hopefully it works out and Wright is the guy. Arth was obviously just wanting to move up as fast as possible. That shouldn't be a problem with Rusty.

Mocs123
January 5th, 2019, 05:09 PM
I didn't think the candidate pool was that bad. I'll be honest, Rusty wasn't my first choice (I was in the Kerwin Bell camp) but in Retrospect, Rusty was probably the right hire. I admit he isn't a splashy hire, and perhaps a bit riskier than a proven FCS HC, but the more I hear him and watch his hires I think he will be very successful in Chattanooga. Hiring the right assistants will be key for Rusty, and the ones he has already (including a few un-announced) I think are really good.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 08:36 PM
I could see him doing well, but a position coach from ga state doesn't sound great.

chattownmocs
January 5th, 2019, 08:44 PM
Can't wait to start another UTC coach off with an L.

damn, I hope we can beat Eastern.