PDA

View Full Version : U of Richmond DB Augustus Lee dies

ST_Lawson
December 11th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Sad news from Richmond...

https://twitter.com/CBS6/status/1072599129526886404

Edit: apparently cause of death has been ruled a suicide: https://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2018/12/sophomore-and-football-player-augustus-gus-lee-dies

(https://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2018/12/sophomore-and-football-player-augustus-gus-lee-dies)The 24/7 National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255.

maine612
December 11th, 2018, 04:01 PM
How sad and awful. My prayers to the Lee family and the Richmond community.

Derby City Duke
December 11th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Having just been through this with one of my students and my neighbors son in the last 60 days...God be with this young man's family at home and at Richmond.

Richmond is a tight-knit community with small enrollment. I knew a lot of the students when I taught there in 02-03. This will hit them very hard.

Lorne_Malvo
December 11th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I dont understand how anything could be so bad at that age that you would kill yourself. RIP.

ST_Lawson
December 11th, 2018, 04:33 PM
I dont understand how anything could be so bad at that age that you would kill yourself. RIP.

I don't know this kid's specific situation, but in many cases, it's mental illness that makes what should be relatively minor problems into huge major ones. If a person can talk it through with someone who can help, get medication to regulate brain chemicals, etc....it can be treatable. Unfortunately not everyone is able to get the help they need soon enough.

My thoughts are with this kid's family and friends.

Go...gate
December 11th, 2018, 04:36 PM
So sad! My thoughts and prayers are with the young man's parents and family and the University of Richmond community.

RootinFerDukes
December 11th, 2018, 04:38 PM

Severe depression, sometimes a chemical imabalance in the body, can really make a person feel hopeless. We don’t know his personal situation, but God bless him, his family and all of those close to him.

I have lost too many people I know to suicide. Always take the time for yourself and talk to those you love and trust.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 11th, 2018, 04:40 PM
God dang it. So sad to see this. RIP young man.

Go...gate
December 11th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Severe depression, sometimes a chemical imabalance in the body, can really make a person feel hopeless. We don’t know his personal situation, but God bless him, his family and all of those close to him.

I have lost too many people I know to suicide. Always take the time for yourself and talk to those you love and trust.

Well said.

dbackjon
December 11th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Very sad - RIP.

citdog
December 11th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Hate to see someone so young think there is no hope. RIP

Bison56
December 11th, 2018, 06:09 PM
How awful and sad for the family, may he find peace in the afterlife.

TheKingpin28
December 11th, 2018, 06:15 PM
It is hard to understand what someone is going through. Every time this happens, it hurts to know how badly mental health is underfunded. I never want to see this, but hopefully he is in a better place.

cx500d
December 11th, 2018, 06:29 PM
It is hard to understand what someone is going through. Every time this happens, it hurts to know how badly mental health is underfunded. I never want to see this, but hopefully he is in a better place.

You can fund it through the wazoo, but I question the benefit, and it will only help the people that make threats but won't really carry them out. The ones that do carry it out tend to be people that just aren't going to let on what's going on in their head, and then will deny deny deny if one of their friends/siblings/parents pick up on something being off with this person.

Just 11 days ago, a Navy Vice Admiral, the 5th fleet commander, committed suicide...This after the Navy and Military have been spending boocoo bucks and many hours of mandatory training to knock down military suicide rates.... When you have top brass doing the very thing they are preaching to the troops to eliminate, it really calls into question the effectiveness.

Death of top US naval commander in Middle East an apparent suicide

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/politics/us-naval-commander-stearney-death-suicide/index.html

TheKingpin28
December 11th, 2018, 06:59 PM
You can fund it through the wazoo, but I question the benefit, and it will only help the people that make threats but won't really carry them out. The ones that do carry it out tend to be people that just aren't going to let on what's going on in their head, and then will deny deny deny if one of their friends/siblings/parents pick up on something being off with this person.

Just 11 days ago, a Navy Vice Admiral, the 5th fleet commander, committed suicide...This after the Navy and Military have been spending boocoo bucks and many hours of mandatory training to knock down military suicide rates.... When you have top brass doing the very thing they are preaching to the troops to eliminate, it really calls into question the effectiveness.

Death of top US naval commander in Middle East an apparent suicide

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/politics/us-naval-commander-stearney-death-suicide/index.html

So what is the solution then?

AshevilleApp2
December 11th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Very sad news. RIP.

Outsider1
December 11th, 2018, 07:12 PM
My prayers go out to all his family and friends; lots of strength and love.

cx500d
December 11th, 2018, 07:23 PM
So what is the solution then?
there is no solution. People who want to be helped will be helped. Those that don't, won't.

Mayville Bison
December 12th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I don't know this kid's specific situation, but in many cases, it's mental illness that makes what should be relatively minor problems into huge major ones. If a person can talk it through with someone who can help, get medication to regulate brain chemicals, etc....it can be treatable. Unfortunately not everyone is able to get the help they need soon enough.

My thoughts are with this kid's family and friends.

This is spot on. Also, many times it's a thing of pride where many think, "I can figure this out on my own" instead of getting help. Been close to this too many times personally.

Thoughts and prayers to the young man's family and friends.

dewey
December 12th, 2018, 10:31 AM
So sad to see this happen. Rest In Peace young man.

Dewey

ST_Lawson
December 12th, 2018, 11:24 AM
This is spot on. Also, many times it's a thing of pride where many think, "I can figure this out on my own" instead of getting help. Been close to this too many times personally.

Thoughts and prayers to the young man's family and friends.

Yeah, unfortunately there is a stigma attached to mental problems/illness where it's not "manly" to admit to it. Someone gets cancer, ALS, or any number of other medical problems and they seek treatment and get help. If your brain happens to be making too much or too little of a chemical and you have depression, anxiety, etc. because of it, there's a feeling that "it's all in your head" and it can be pushed down/away.

I don't think there'll ever be a "fix" that eliminates suicide in situations like this, but if people are more open about talking to others about mental issues, and raise kids to be able to do the same when they have problems and need help, then it might improve the situation in the long run.

I have had issues with my mental health before, specifically anxiety and depression. My problems are not such that they would cause me to be suicidal, thankfully, but I have spoken to a therapist and am on medicine to help and they have improved my situation. There's nothing wrong with asking for help to make your life better...you don't have to "tough it out".

Derby City Duke
December 12th, 2018, 12:01 PM
I am seeing a behavioral oncologist (mental health for cancer patients) on a regular basis -- as does Mrs. DCD -- while navigating this cancer journey. I still sometimes ask myself 'why' I'm seeing a shrink, but after each visit I never fail to feel confident that the visit helped me in some way.

TheRevSFA
December 12th, 2018, 03:44 PM
RIP young man. Hopefully you find the peace in the next life that you couldn't find in this one

ysubigred
December 13th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Sad news from Richmond...

https://twitter.com/CBS6/status/1072599129526886404

Edit: apparently cause of death has been ruled a suicide: https://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2018/12/sophomore-and-football-player-augustus-gus-lee-dies

(https://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2018/12/sophomore-and-football-player-augustus-gus-lee-dies)The 24/7 National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255.

Wow sad indeed.

I know this is off the track a bit. But self inflicted is off the charts and everywhere :(

FOX2 Detroit meteorologist Jessica Starr, a 35-year-old Michigan native, committed suicide, the station announced on air Thursday.

She leaves behind two children and her husband, according to a tweet posted by FOX2 anchor Roop Raj.

Stunned co-workers struggled to make sense of the tragedy, with morning anchor Amy Andrews tweeting, "Our hearts are broken."
Starr had been at the network since 2012. She had recently been off the air while recovering from Lasik surgery.
Starr last tweeted Nov. 14, commenting about the difficulties she was having after the operation, The Detroit Free Press (https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/12/13/fox-detroit-meteorologist-jessica-starr-suicide/2298433002/) reported.

"Yesterday was a struggle for me. I really wanted to come back but need more time to recover. Please keep me in your thoughts during this challenging time," she wrote in part.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fox-2-detroit-meteorologist-jessica-starr-dies-at-35

ngineer
December 13th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Horrible to hear. Hard to fathom.