PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh's Andy Coen Retires

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2018, 03:20 PM
The time had come! I just hope Andy is able relax and enjoy the much needed time off.

He'll have a complicated legacy but he had Lafayette's number and fielded some really good teams. The 2011 squad is among Lehigh's best.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2018, 03:29 PM
The official Lehigh press release said that Coen told the team he has early stages of alzheimer's disease. horrible...

RichH2
December 7th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Early onset alzheimers explains the last 2 years. It is terribly sad.

LU808
December 7th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Lehigh Football Alumni, Family, and Friends,

This afternoon, Coach Coen informed staff and players that he’s stepping down immediately after 13 very successful years leading the program, highlighted by five Patriot League championships.

Including his time as an LU assistant from 1994-99, Coach has spent 19 seasons winning football games for the Brown & White and, more importantly, developing high quality young men - doctors, lawyers, educators, bankers, engineers, coaches, and to his greatest credit, successful husbands, fathers, and community leaders.

The program has reached great heights under Coach Coen and his staff and it is important to emphasize that Joe Sterrett, the Lehigh Athletics Department, and the rest of the University administration remain committed to building upon Andy’s successes and taking Lehigh Football to the next level in the years ahead. We know that Joe will land another great leader to take the reins.

It is also important to stress that everyone at Lehigh, and in the Lehigh Football community, stands 100% behind Coach Coen and his family as they face the battle he revealed today with Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease. Health isn’t promised to any of us, and Andy understands that. He has been a warrior as he has faced down this opponent, and anyone who knows of him has no doubt that he will continue to fight as he always has done. It would be hard to find someone who would bet against him.

Andy is used to outmaneuvering the opposition and he leaves Lehigh with an enviable legacy that, one could argue, places him on the Mount Rushmore of Lehigh coaches for all sports, not just football. He won a record 85 games, tied with Bill Leckonby, and led LU to the Lambert Cup in 2011. Longevity is hard to come by in this business but only Coach Leckonby led Lehigh longer (16 seasons).

At the top of his list of on-field accomplishments, Coach beat Lafayette nine times by an average of 16 points while producing three classes that never lost to the Leopards. How sweet was that 34-3 win last month?

Also, remember this: Andy won three additional PL titles as an assistant, giving him a significant role in eight of the 12 Lehigh championship teams since the league was formed. Think back to the dominant squads of the late 90s that were some of the best in school history with the ’99 crew a great example, scoring at least 40 points seven times. The offensive coordinator who made that high-octane machine hum was, you guessed it: Andy Coen.

We could spend a lot more time talking about Andy’s football accomplishments – and surely, we will - but many have been even more impressed by the kind of guy he is and the quality of young men he produced. The number of All-America (25) and All-Patriot League (135) honorees over the past 13 years is a testament to Andy’s leadership but even more impactful is the number of Patriot League Academic Honor Roll selections (236) that occurred on his watch, coupled with the development of young men who are a credit to their families and communities.

In addressing the team today, Andy talked about the importance of faith and family, of the importance of maintaining priorities, and it’s clear that his perspective stayed true throughout his tenure. Truly, it takes a special kind of guy to do that. That is Andy Coen.

Please join us in thanking Coach Coen and his family – Laura, Molly, Nolan and Finn - for a job very well done and in offering our prayers and support for the battle ahead. We love you Coach! Go get ‘em!

Check back to LehighSports.com (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__emclick.imodules.com_wf_click-3Fupn-3DXoKJC5VOXJcjsLDwOyYUKplINhKds5mTmu7xpIK63Lh8EV5W YAoEVSDl-2D2BnoWbXCXEnFzpUk-2D2Fi8JVNrMCEcZEEn4RbKdacXnz2w-2D2BD-2D2Fe-2D2BD2qY-2D3D-5FlbWu2NSHOM3UdMPOEFMId1SQGjD5frOPYP4OQzmPbsMjgwJf uJwbRr2w-2D2BOlNx-2D2Fx5OQ-2D2F9Dccn7VorQh0e7FgQ5yv-2D2B3DfhBzwuL9PLGCvvNkG-2D2FWGRw7LuqBV6PCn7XBU-2D2FYVmdY-2D2Bq77Y6QEeRt7JwiWWF77f7rwM8gC1wOWG8phRk9J5-2D2FBaAlb6XXDRkOGBdYk01Hn3eXRFheg-2D2BGTtbVVvr6nNTebymjNQfNf1-2D2FUsOR9nFBwuFn0gGjL-2D2F5NpupzRSTZGVANOoGWA4ZsG5x2Up71WhVEqa5I-2D2BEz2EhahoW-2D2FhMwzvnd-2D2Bl5zCnQnxBVKe-2D2F-2D2Bf8wfAcl3mcT-2D2FMBoEhXdjA1hc1Jj3icpGWfNOTchZnobadvv4ZRATeG3C4t pWHu2QEAjCXtDm05aWdk3mjEEzCFuAgvDW4EjSvzf05ICKLX6k O9nT7GCW2z-2D2Bw1xHtgQEdeYkVJGKMCp-2D2FNTda6shWyrNqbCoVg6jK9h-2D2BkxyrMysvalP4-2D3D&d=DwMFaQ&c=q3cDpHe1hF8lXU5EFjNM_A&r=dNMhLmr1VlNaPGdoUks7sYvEjmmFQTAFwKZUWMzNZ2s&m=z_0dOrNq_8GizrMmY-Ua9bMMU2Dh67STq8jbTLbH2io&s=jWKQZOj4wVu-rfgQdmMslTNdO5MHapdDs8uKPW5CCjg&e=) later today to read the full press release.

Sincerely,
Randy Williams '93
Alumni Ambassador
The Lehigh Football Partnership

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2018, 04:05 PM
The official Lehigh press release said that Coen told the team he has early stages of alzheimer's disease. horrible...

Sad news, how old is Coen?

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Sad news, how old is Coen?

He graduated in 1986, which would be approx. 54.

TheValleyRaider
December 7th, 2018, 05:30 PM

Awful stuff :(

Hate to see anyone leave for something like that

Gangtackle11
December 7th, 2018, 05:40 PM
God bless Andy Coen. A good guy. Will be missed throughout the FCS landscape out this way. xpeacex

dbackjon
December 7th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Sad news indeed.

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2018, 05:54 PM
He graduated in 1986, which would be approx. 54.

way to young

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Prayers go out to the Coen family. I hope there can be some sort of ceremony to recognize him while it is appropriate.

Also, I hope that readers do not misinterpret the phrase "early onset". This does not refer to early stages of the disease but it is a clinical term for patients under the age of 65.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Prayers go out to the Coen family. I hope there can be some sort of ceremony to recognize him while it is appropriate.

Also, I hope that readers do not misinterpret the phrase "early onset". This does not refer to early stages of the disease but it is a clinical term for patients under the age of 65.

Today I think has been the closest thing to a ceremony Andy has had. A lot of current and former players, fans, coaches have showed their solidarity with Andy today through the local radio station, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

ngineer
December 7th, 2018, 09:21 PM
I would expect that the Annual Football Banquet, usually in February, will be used to publicly honor Andy. I think Randy Williams message to the Football Partnership members was very eloquent.

Word is that the AD's office has already received numerous 'contacts of interest' for formal application. I would anticipate there had already been some 'informal contact' over the past week or so. When Lembo left in 2005, around the same time, Coen was named HC on January 3. However, Lembo's leaving was probably more of a surprise than this, so that search may have had more of a 'start from scratch aspect' to it. Of course, the holidays and the fact that some candidates might still be coaching could delay things longer than we would like. I would like to see someone in place within ten days, but that' just me.

Bill
December 7th, 2018, 10:17 PM
I'll be one of the first to say - I feel like an A$$ about all of this. I was (am) one of the many who wanted a new regime...but not to find out that early Alzheimer 's is one of the reasons. I wanted it to be all about football, but it's never just about football. We're talking about someone's life here, which helps me reflect and remember that we are just fans (at least now for me) who choose to root and follow simply for our pleasure. I do hope all goes as well as it possibly can here.

bulldog10jw
December 7th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Terrible news for someone so young

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2018, 12:47 AM
Very sorry to hear this news regarding Andy’s condition. As much and we squabble, there is a brotherhood between those that have suited up and coached in the rivalry. Andy spent the bulk of his playing and coaching career in PA, and I know many former Lehigh players who have much respect for the man.

Andy helped mold men, and gave young men from PA an opportunity to play FCS football and recieve a potentially life changing education. We are all thinking of him, and wish him and his family nothing but the best as they help him confront this disease.

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2018, 05:22 AM
I'll be one of the first to say - I feel like an A$$ about all of this. I was (am) one of the many who wanted a new regime...but not to find out that early Alzheimer 's is one of the reasons. I wanted it to be all about football, but it's never just about football. We're talking about someone's life here, which helps me reflect and remember that we are just fans (at least now for me) who choose to root and follow simply for our pleasure. I do hope all goes as well as it possibly can here.
Very well said, Bill. Warm wishes and prayers for Mr. Coen and his family going forward. I’m sure Lehigh will find a good successor.

Southsider
December 8th, 2018, 06:25 AM

+1. Sums up my feelings as well. I am 6-7 years Andy's senior. Really makes you stop and look into the mirror. Scary!

carney2
December 8th, 2018, 08:33 AM
The occasional mention of "health issues" throughout the season did not bring this to mind. Devastating for all involved. I'm from the side of the Lehigh Valley that never likes to say nice things about anyone or anything on South Mountain, but Andy has always been one of the good guys. He will be missed.

Pard4Life
December 8th, 2018, 10:14 AM
The time had come! I just hope Andy is able relax and enjoy the much needed time off.

He'll have a complicated legacy but he had Lafayette's number and fielded some really good teams. The 2011 squad is among Lehigh's best.

Um, Lafayette has had Lafayette's number!!

Pard4Life
December 8th, 2018, 10:17 AM
This is really sad... in contrast, Lehigh's on-field issues were just breadcrumbs... this will be the real battle and it sounds like he has a great support system.

Don't like you brown clowns much but it's great to see a supportive community over there.

CHIP72
December 8th, 2018, 11:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Coen's disease and forced retirement. He did a lot of good things during his tenure at Lehigh. I wish him and his family the best as he deals with his awful health situation.

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Sad news for the Coen family...prayers!

Bearkats94
December 8th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Man that sucks for his family. I took care of my mother the hold time she had Alzheimer’s. Thats one disease I wish they would find a cure for. My mom fought it for 7 long years, it’s hard to see someone go through it. Prayers for his family.

ngineer
December 8th, 2018, 09:30 PM
The Lehigh family appreciates the many warm and compassionate expressions. I've known Andy going back to his first tour at Lehigh back in the 1990's as an assistant. Always a very down to earth and approachable guy. The last two years have been difficult beyond just the scoreboard. For a guy who is relatively young with a family still at home, it makes it all the more difficult. Thanks to all.

Gater
December 9th, 2018, 05:54 PM
My have been impossibly hard for Coach Coen these past few years. Such a cerebral job. Once you acknowledge something is wrong it all goes away and 54 is so young for something like this to happen. Guy did such a good job coaching against Colgate (and everybody else) and I wish him the best. Hopefully the diagnoses coming this early in his life means that he will have time for them to find a cure. Pulling for you, coach.

PAllen
December 9th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Tough way to go. So sorry to hear. I thought I was fearing the worst from his "health issues". I was clearly wrong.

Go...gate
December 9th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Very sad news. Thoughts and prayers to Andy Coen as he faces this challenge.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 10th, 2018, 12:28 AM
Remembering Andy Coen's Time As Head Coach As He Steps Down as Lehigh Football Head Coach To Address Health Issue

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/12/remembering-andy-coens-time-as-head.html

Derby City Duke
December 10th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Devastating for Coach Cohen and his family.

Mrs. DCD does elder care and recently the daughter of one of her clients was diagnosed with Early-onset Alzheimers/Dementia. To see the rapidity of the decline is shocking.

The disease killed Pat Summit in under 5 years.

Prayers up for the Cohens.

ngineer
December 12th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Devastating for Coach Cohen and his family.

Mrs. DCD does elder care and recently the daughter of one of her clients was diagnosed with Early-onset Alzheimers/Dementia. To see the rapidity of the decline is shocking.

The disease killed Pat Summit in under 5 years.

Prayers up for the Cohens.

Yes, your mentioning of Pat Summit is a good comparison. It is suspected that this condition was known 'in house' early this year, but that the University was going to do what Tennessee did and allow the Coach the chance to become Lehigh's all-time winningest coach. Unfortunately, the wheels fell off leading to a lousy season, but at least Coen was able to tie for most wins in Lehigh history at 85. Hopefully, there can be medical breakthroughs that change the course.

Milktruck74
December 12th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Andy was my first college Line Coach. He actually convinced me to forego a few d2 offers and FCS (1aa at the time) partials to sell my soul and go to the USMMA (D3). He was a hell of a recruiter and a GOOD MAN!!!! I wish him all the best. I hate to hear about his diagnosis, its a b!+c#..... Prayers for him and his family!!!

AggieFinn
December 12th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Regardless, looking forward to hosting Lehigh next year in Davis. Y'all don't be strangers. Come on over and spill the Lehigh history with us. Brats, Tri-Tip and Aggie Lager are on us!

RichH2
December 12th, 2018, 10:07 PM
Regardless, looking forward to hosting Lehigh next year in Davis. Y'all don't be strangers. Come on over and spill the Lehigh history with us. Brats, Tri-Tip and Aggie Lager are on us!

Thanks Aggie. Will do. Looking forward to the trip.

hawkineer
December 13th, 2018, 01:28 PM
You may find Lehigh fans wanting to spend a lot of time talking about the 1977 Division II semifinal game played in Davis, CA.xnodx

AggieFinn
December 13th, 2018, 07:26 PM
You may find Lehigh fans wanting to spend a lot of time talking about the 1977 Division II semifinal game played in Davis, CA.xnodx

Well, don't know the Lehigh situation in 1977, but Davis didn't provide a single schollie until the 80's I believe! Tremendous Aggie Pride in doing the most with less...it's a farming thing!

ngineer
December 13th, 2018, 09:09 PM

Sounds great. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that I can make it. Wedding in the family being planned for "fall"...I've already "released" Lehigh's schedule, but don't know how much weight that will carry with the future daughter-in-law!!