PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Trophy Retired

Laker
December 5th, 2018, 05:12 PM
If this is in another thread, please move it.

The Nickel Trophy between UND and NDSU has been retired. It is darn heavy, I've had my hands on it.

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/12/game-over-nickel-trophy-retires/

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2018, 06:03 PM
I'm sad that they're retiring it mostly because UND keeps making themselves look silly parading it around like they have been. I was hoping they'd continue to prop it up as a holy idol to their "glory days" for years to come.

taper
December 5th, 2018, 06:20 PM
The Nickel was retired when UND canceled the NDSU rivalry by announcing their 2004 season schedule and we weren't on it, despite it being scheduled.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2018, 06:26 PM
I glad it is retired.

And IMO, they do not need to start any new traveling trophy.

Bison56
December 5th, 2018, 06:35 PM
I glad it is retired.

You know as well as I that they will. I say leave them out to dry like they did to NDSU.

JacksFan40
December 5th, 2018, 06:58 PM
The Nickel Trophy, otherwise known as the “That thing still exists?” trophy.
The xDSU’s rivalries with the UxD’s have become so one sided I wouldn’t even consider them rivalries anymore.

Thumper 76
December 5th, 2018, 07:04 PM
The xDSU’s rivalries with the UxD’s have become so one sided I wouldn’t even consider them rivalries anymore.

Certainly not for football. Compare the attendance for he Marker Game and the USeD game. Not close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
December 5th, 2018, 07:07 PM
You know as well as I that they will. I say leave them out to dry like they did to NDSU.

UND won't be initiating anything. Making up lame trophies sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

In what sports?

344Johnson
December 5th, 2018, 07:08 PM

That is temporary. Keep in mind, Notre Dame/USC, Alabama/Auburn, etc. All these series have had long stretches on domination over one another. I'd expect NDSU and SDSU to likely maintain a strong advantage over UND and USD.

Regarding the Nickel, they should be playing for it. No reason not to. Pretty cool trophy.

Kemo
December 5th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Since the UND/NDSU football rivalry is only periodically relevant, I think this should be the new trophy:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29672&stc=1

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2018, 05:25 AM

**** them xcoffeex

BisonBacker
December 6th, 2018, 05:26 AM

xthumbsupx

In the case of elforko grande they are so desperate to be relevant it's sad.

Thumper 76
December 6th, 2018, 07:33 AM
UND did this in the most UND way possible.

TheKingpin28
December 6th, 2018, 08:10 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDid they create a committee on how to properly retire it tho?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
December 6th, 2018, 08:13 AM

The fact a SDSU fan is posting this should speak volumes.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2018, 08:14 AM

No ****. Throw a retirement party and charge people for it. All after thumbing their noses at our legislature and parading this thing to their sporting events and alumni functions. I'm suprised a few committee's weren't involved along the way. xlolx

But hey I guess it's good to see they are finally moving on............yeah right.xdrunkyx

JacksFan40
December 6th, 2018, 09:34 AM
UND won't be initiating anything. Making up lame trophies sucks.

- - - Updated - - -

In what sports?
Well for UND/NDSU it’s not much for football anymore, in basketball you both are trash so I guess it’s still competitive there.
USD/SDSU is only competitive in women’s basketball, we dominate in football and have won for the most part in men’s basketball.