PDA

View Full Version : Non-scholly poll

DUPFLFan
April 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
The question of the day...

Are the MAAC and PFL part of FCS or are they not?

A simple yes or no will do.

CCU97
April 6th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Yes

Lehigh Football Nation
April 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Like saying, "Is the sky blue?" "Does a turkey sandwich contain turkey?"

YES. THEY'RE NOT D-II, D-III OR FBS.. THEY'RE FCS.

UNHWildCats
April 6th, 2007, 09:03 AM

xeyebrowx The sky isnt blue its an optical illusion :p

dbackjon
April 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Exactly

andy7171
April 6th, 2007, 10:18 AM
xeyebrowx The sky isnt blue its an optical illusion :p
??? I thought it was refracted light /??

Of course they are FCS. Stupid question. xrolleyesx

Can't wait to see how this is used to justify giving them a auto-bid.

MplsBison
April 6th, 2007, 11:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

Seawolf97
April 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Voted Yes - Sky is gray on Long Island today

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2007, 11:15 AM
They are a part of FCS...

But, until they prove they can compete with the rest of the subdivision, they have no business to complain about lack of at-large or auto-bid...

89Hen
April 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Can't wait to see how this is used to justify giving them a auto-bid.
You think they would bait like that?? xrolleyesx

I'd vote 'somewhat' if that were an option.

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
You think they would bait like that?? xrolleyesx I'd vote 'somewhat' if that were an option.

We're talking about our best friend from Dayton, DUPFLFan... :)

Ultimately, the NCAA is hurting these schools by forcing them to do Division I football (FCS) despite their lack of commitment to giving scholarships in football.

These schools can not compete for a national championship for all intensive purposes due to their schedules and inability to compete on a consistent basis with the top FCS schools (similar to the Sun Belt in the FBS), so they could possibly be better served playing in the non-championship subdivision of Division I, the FBS... xlolx

Then again, it would hurt the Div III level if schools that have Div I basketball programs and the such were recruiting against them due to the name notoriety.

There's really no place for these schools in any division of football, so they are thrown in FCS, so they can say they have a Division I program...xreadx

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM
These schools can not compete for a national championship for all intensive purposes due to their schedules and inability to compete on a consistent basis with the top FCS schools...

Couldn't the same thing be said about basketball in the Southland? Yet no one is looking to hold back the SLC's autobid to the tournament.

April 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM
We're talking about our best friend from Dayton, DUPFLFan...You mean Drake/DU. DetroitFlyer is the Dayton/UD fan I think you have in mind.

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Couldn't the same thing be said about basketball in the Southland? Yet no one is looking to hold back the SLC's autobid to the tournament.

How can you compare?

The non-scholarship schools have struggles against Div III and NAIA squads. They need to all commit to upgrading standards whether it's talent or scheduling if they want to compete at the same level as schools in the A10, Southland, etc.

Not all schools are willing to commit, which brings down the overall product. There's been some minor battle victories for the non-scholarships, but not all are willing to jump onboard. If they were to do that, they'll get their bid into the Division I playoffs.

DUPFLFan
April 6th, 2007, 11:40 AM
We're talking about our best friend from Dayton, DUPFLFan... :)

Texas. I'm the other DU....

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Texas. I'm the other DU....

There's several DU's...I worked at one post-graduation from college... :)

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM
The non-scholarship schools have struggles against Div III and NAIA squads.

Which of the N-S schools are struggling against D-III schools? Outside of LaSalle, the rest of the MAAC has steered away from D-III and probably has never even played an NAIA school. THe PFL gets these games solely out of necessity because of the lack of nearby available I-AA opponents.

DUPFLFan
April 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
There's several DU's...I worked at one post-graduation from college... :)

To be more specific. I am the father of a Drake player.

MarkCCU
April 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
umm...yes?

DUPFLFan
April 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Which of the N-S schools are struggling against D-III schools? Outside of LaSalle, the rest of the MAAC has steered away from D-III and probably has never even played an NAIA school. THe PFL gets these games solely out of necessity because of the lack of nearby available I-AA opponents.

Non-conference records in 2006
Butler 1-3
Davidson 1-2
Dayton 3-0
Drake 2-1
Jacksonville 0-3
Morehead 0-3
SanDiego 4-1
Valpo 2-2

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM

2006...outside of LaSalle

Duquesne University 19-21 West Liberty State (Div II)
Iona College 7-21 Montclair State (Div III)
Iona College 20-21 Western Conn (Div III)
Saint Peters 3-21 Western Conn (Div III)

Three losses to Div III schools from the MAAC last year. Seems they're having their fair share of problems...

DFW HOYA
April 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I thought Western was a Div. II school. Correction noted.

But in the MAAC, you take what you can get. Duquesne searched far and wide before settling on West Liberty and that's one of the reasons they gave notice to join the NEC--a league with five teams means a lot of open dates to fill each year.

April 6th, 2007, 12:04 PM
There's several DU's...in D-I non-schollie there are Drake University (DU) and University of Dayton (UD).... Duquesne University (DU) is in its last year before the NEC

TexasTerror
April 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I thought Western was a Div. II school. Correction noted.

But in the MAAC, you take what you can get. Duquesne searched far and wide before settling on West Liberty and that's one of the reasons they gave notice to join the NEC--a league with five teams means a lot of open dates to fill each year.

I know all about searching far and wide...SHSU said they went to school #70 a few years ago when they had Bacone College added for a 70-7 win in Huntsville. SHSU didn't want that squad...

This year due to Missouri St backing out on us due to some scheduling issues, Kats had to throw in a second Div II school. We didn't like that, but that's the business of athletics...

LBPop
April 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Non-conference records in 2006
Butler 1-3
Davidson 1-2
Dayton 3-0
Drake 2-1
Jacksonville 0-3
Morehead 0-3
SanDiego 4-1
Valpo 2-2

I'm not sure that this addresses DFW's question. The issue is whether non-scholly schools would struggle against D-II and D-III schools...not whether they struggle against Non-conference schools. For example, I believe that one of Davidson's losses was to VMI. Aren't they FCS?

I would submit that the very weakest of the non-scholarship FCS schools might have difficulty playing the better D-II or D-III schools. But even Georgetown, who has arguably failed so far as a Patriot League competitor, would likely defeat a majority of the lower level schools.

I have one anecdotal piece of evidence. A mid range player for Georgetown transferred to a strong D-III school a couple of years ago. To hear him tell it, the quality level of the players dropped substantially. Sure a few of the kids could have played up, but that's true at every level. Of course this is just one isolated case, but the source is credible.
That's my xtwocentsx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Sort of a thread hijack, but I've noticed that WestConn and Southern Conn have been "playing up" a lot recently. Any chance of either of those teams joining CCSU in the NEC?

More on-topic, more NEC schools could mean more 30-scholly or 0-scholly programs in FCS, which would help the survival of the..... genre.

89Hen
April 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM
And there's no difference between basketball and football. xcoffeex

andy7171
April 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I have one anecdotal piece of evidence. A mid range player for Georgetown transferred to a strong D-III school a couple of years ago. To hear him tell it, the quality level of the players dropped substantially. Sure a few of the kids could have played up, but that's true at every level. Of course this is just one isolated case, but the source is credible.
That's my xtwocentsx
I completely agree with this players assessment.
I wnet down to watch Catholic Univeristy play football several time, my wifes alma mater and a mjority of my brothers and sisters in law.. It's almost like HS extended. At least the games I saw were. Slow. Very slow. And the players were all short, rarely over 6'. My brother in law, is 5'9" 220 and was the 3 tackle.
Also a WR from my days at Towson State was pitiful, he couldn't break the traveling team, and hardly ever played in blowouts at home. He transferred to Catholic and all of a sudden became All-World. I was shocked to see him on the front page of the Post when I would go home to my parents. I think Catholic went to the D.III playofs on his shoulders that year.

dbackjon
April 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM
And there's no difference between basketball and football. xcoffeex

Right - because we all know that the big conferences give out more basketball schollies than the Southland does.

nmatsen
April 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM
no

Go...gate
April 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Yes.

lizrdgizrd
April 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Yes, they count toward the minimum 7 FCS wins to make the playoffs.