PDA

View Full Version : Payton/Buchanan/Rice/Robinson Awards Finalists

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 11:15 AM
Payton Award
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181203115315317620804

Top 3 for the Payton are QB Chandler Burks from Kennesaw St, QB Devlin Hodges from Samford, and QB Easton Stick from NDSU. All 3 will be invited to the awards banquet in Frisco the week of the national championship game when they'll announce the winner.

The rest of the top 10 (article goes all the way to 25):

4. Joe Protheroe, FB, Cal Poly: 6-24-7-20-12-199
5. Tom Flacco, QB, Towson: 7-10-13-12-11-149
6. Jake Maier, QB, UC Davis: 7-13-12-4-5-136
7. Taryn Christion, QB, South Dakota State: 6-10-9-9-7-122
8. John Lovett, QB, Princeton: 6-5-6-11-3-93
9. Michael Bandy, WR, San Diego: 2-7-5-8-14-83
10. (Tie) Ryan Fulse, RB, Wagner: 2-1-8-6-11-61
10. (Tie) Josh Pearson, WR, Jacksonville State: 2-2-4-13-5-61

Buchanan Award
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181204111335823792604&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

The 3 finalists are (I know STATS doesn't like calling them "finalists" because they claim all of the top 25 are finalists but I'm doing it anyway) are LB Zach Hall from SEMO, LB Dante Olson from Montana, and DE Derrick Roberson of SHSU. The winner will be announced at the FCS awards banquet on 1/4 in Frisco, TX.

The rest of the top 10 (article goes all the way through 25):

4. Jabril Cox, LB, North Dakota State: 22-13-10-9-12-222
5. Isiah Swann, CB, Dartmouth: 5-22-17-10-18-202
6. Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison: 13-16-11-14-10-200
7. B.J. Blunt, LB, McNeese: 12-4-15-13-17-164
8. Nick Wheeler, DE, Colgate: 9-5-11-8-12-126
9. Robbie Grimsley, S, North Dakota State: 7-8-5-10-11-113
10. Anthony Gore Jr., LB, Kennesaw State: 2-5-5-6-4-61

I'll update this post with the rest of the awards finalists as they are announced.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2018, 11:25 AM
Taryn at 7 is a crock of ****. But whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmu007
December 3rd, 2018, 11:30 AM
I’m waiting to see Jimmy F’n Moreland’s name. Don’t blow it STATS.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2018, 11:36 AM
Makes zero sense where Christion landed ... just defies all logic. In a relatively weak year at QB position, how is he not top 3 ?????????????

KSU Burks is a nice QB, but his stats are completely padded playing a very weak schedule.

Well now they get a chance to settle on the field this Saturday .. one game for the award ???? xlolx

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2018, 11:39 AM

This and more of this.

Oh and read my signature for a good laugh.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2018, 11:43 AM
Makes zero sense where Christion landed ... just defies all logic. In a relatively weak year at QB position, how is he not top 3 ?????????????

KSU Burks is a nice QB, but his stats are completely padded playing a very weak schedule.

Well now they get a chance to settle on the field this Saturday .. one game for the award ???? xlolx

First it was “he’s only good because of Goedert and Jake” and now it’s.......well something. I don’t know.

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2018, 11:55 AM
Hmmmmmm..............

Bison56
December 3rd, 2018, 11:58 AM

Agreedxrotatehx

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2018, 12:01 PM
That Burks is even top 3 blows my mind .. his pass stats suck (116 attempts, 1000 pass yards total), his run stats are ok (900 yards, 4.8 ypc) ... good for a QB but that is their offense and they played an incredibly weak SOS. Swap teams for Burks and Christion, and Burks is maybe the 5th or 6th best QB in MVFC, if that .. if he even could stay healthy .. I think the ISUb guy is better than Burks, certainly comparable; while Christion would have tore up the Big South and broken records playing in that weak conference. They tarnished the award this year with these selections. The Princeton guy deserves more props than Burks .. he actually threw the ball and ran the ball against similar level competition.

Here is QB BUrks stat line when he finally played a team with a heartbeat on defense, Wofford .. and Kennesaw St won 13-10:

Rushing .. 10 carries for 7 yards
Passing .. 6 of 14 for 79 yards, 0 TDs, 1 Pick

This is a Payton Ward top 3 nominee ??

Can you imagine if he had to play a real FCS schedule ?

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 12:02 PM
Yea, these three picks are interesting, I would have had Christion, Maier (although his stock went down a little bit with me after watching the UNI game) and maybe Stick or Hodges. Sticks numbers don't really merit the award in my opinion, he just wins football games.

ksu_owls
December 3rd, 2018, 12:13 PM
That Burks is even top 3 blows my mind .. his pass stats suck (116 attempts, 1000 pass yards total), his run stats are ok (900 yards, 4.8 ypc) ... good for a QB but that is their offense and they played an incredibly weak SOS. Swap teams for Burks and Christion, and Burks is maybe the 5th or 6th best QB in MVFC, if that .. if he even could stay healthy .. I think the ISUb guy is better than Burks, certainly comparable; while Christion would have tore up the Big South and broken records playing in that weak conference. They tarnished the award this year with these selections. The Princeton guy deserves more props than Burks .. he actually threw the ball and ran the ball against similar level competition.

Here is QB BUrks stat line when he finally played a team with a heartbeat on defense, Wofford .. and Kennesaw St won 13-10:

Can you imagine if he had to play a real FCS schedule ?

I understand what you're saying, but picking one game against arguably the toughest defense KSU has faced all year in a cold rainy playoff game isn't exactly fair. The way he runs our option doesn't necessarily mean he's going to rack up stats, but his reads and pitches are what make him so valuable.

Again, I get it... we have a cupcake schedule, but as things stand right now we are 1 of 8 teams left and Burks is the biggest reason (offensively) for that success.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2018, 12:13 PM
Yea, these three picks are interesting, I would have had Christion, Maier (although his stock went down a little bit with me after watching the UNI game) and maybe Stick or Hodges. Sticks numbers don't really merit the award in my opinion, he just wins football games.
Stick at least proves he can throw it when needed against teams that actually play defense .. he clearly passes way way better than Burk, and I would say he runs better too. but like you said, NDSU does not ask him to win games by himself like KSU does .... never mind, were talking about MVFC vs the Big South. So while Stick's numbers don't scream top 3 .. in fact, one might say they barely whisper it ... his running and passing (3rd in QBR behind guys from San Diego and Hampton !!) resume is very strong. Christion is 5th, 4th was guy from Stetson ... I didn't even know Stetson was an FCS program. So let's just agree Stick and Christion are #1 and #2.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/8

Look as hard as you can for Burks ... he didn't even make the NCAA list ... why ? Too few passes.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2018, 12:14 PM
I honestly don’t have an issue w Taryn out of the top 3, but to not be 4 is a ****ing JOKE. I’m sure he will say it doesn’t bother him but I would imagine the team might have a point to prove this weekend now.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2018, 12:16 PM
I understand what you're saying, but picking one game against arguably the toughest defense KSU has faced all year in a cold rainy playoff game isn't exactly fair. The way he runs our option doesn't necessarily mean he's going to rack up stats, but his reads and pitches are what make him so valuable.

Again, I get it... we have a cupcake schedule, but as things stand right now we are 1 of 8 teams left and Burks is the biggest reason (offensively) for that success.
I like him a lot (my kind of player) and what KSU has accomplished the last 2 years ... but neither of those things make him top 3 for Payton award.

Redbird 4th & short
December 3rd, 2018, 12:20 PM
I honestly don’t have an issue w Taryn out of the top 3, but to not be 4 is a ****ing JOKE. I’m sure he will say it doesn’t bother him but I would imagine the team might have a point to prove this weekend now.

it would be completely douchbag move if people on committee were still thinking about last years JMU game .... and I mean really sh-tty douchebag move if they were thinking about it at all. Nothing else makes any sense that he wound up 7th.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2018, 12:21 PM
it would be completely douchbag move if people on committee were still thinking about last years JMU game .... and I mean really sh-tty douchebag move if they were thinking about it at all. Nothing else makes any sense that he wound up 7th.

Tbh that probably is. Oh well. I’d rather have a motivated team this weekend anyways.

ksu_owls
December 3rd, 2018, 12:22 PM
I like him a lot (my kind of player) and what KSU has accomplished the last 2 years ... but neither of those things make him top 3 for Payton award.
And honestly, I couldn't have told you what the Payton Award was 2 years ago, so I discount my own opinion on the subject. I'm just a little defensive lol

Burks was the first ever football player to sign at KSU-- a school with no football program at the time. His leadership is what has made him so valuable to us. He's not the most athletic guy on the team or even the offense, but he doesn't make many mistakes (well, unless he throws the ball). I think if he has a solid game against SDSU, which will be the hardest opponent he's ever played, then it should add some validity to his stats. That's a big IF... SDSU is way better than any of our conference opponents lol

BisonFan02
December 3rd, 2018, 12:23 PM
TC being at 7 tells me a lot of midwest and not ECB voting was shifted to Stick....this could be interesting.

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2018, 12:24 PM
Tbh that probably is. Oh well. I’d rather have a motivated team this weekend anyways.

Do you think his teammates felt slighted by this outcome and believes the committee disrespected him? xcoffeex

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2018, 12:24 PM
They tarnished the award this year with these selections. The Princeton guy deserves more props than Burks .. he actually threw the ball and ran the ball against similar level competition.

Can you imagine if he had to play a real FCS schedule ?Nope. Ivy League competition is far better than Big South.

I have no idea what they will look like, but if you add his stats vs. GaSt, Samford, and JaxSt (regulation only) to those Woffy stats, you’ll have a relatively fair apples-to-apples comparison with a significantly larger sample size.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 12:27 PM
Stick at least proves he can throw it when needed against teams that actually play defense .. he clearly passes way way better than Burk, and I would say he runs better too. but like you said, NDSU does not ask him to win games by himself like KSU does .... never mind, were talking about MVFC vs the Big South. So while Stick's numbers don't scream top 3 .. in fact, one might say they barely whisper it ... his running and passing (3rd in QBR behind guys from San Diego and Hampton !!) resume is very strong. Christion is 5th, 4th was guy from Stetson ... I didn't even know Stetson was an FCS program. So let's just agree Stick and Christion are #1 and #2.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/8

Look as hard as you can for Burks ... he didn't even make the NCAA list ... why ? Too few passes.First of all, this is an Offensive Player award, not a QB award so you have to look at his entire offensive output. He isn't even in the same league as any of the QB's listed for this award but the award is not focused on QB only.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2018, 12:31 PM
Do you think his teammates felt slighted by this outcome and believes the committee disrespected him? xcoffeex

I would believe so. Anything a team can twist into motivation they usually do. I would expect the o line to take it personally especially.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2018, 12:39 PM

agree with that! and where is his WR Doss?

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2018, 12:49 PM
I would believe so. Anything a team can twist into motivation they usually do. I would expect the o line to take it personally especially.

https://i.imgur.com/hNwfAzp.gif?noredirect

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 12:50 PM
agree with that! and where is his WR Doss?He was 13 but he is a really good player and should have been higher as well.

TheRevSFA
December 3rd, 2018, 01:15 PM

sick burn...

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2018, 01:49 PM

.......UH...ER....UMMMM........THINK IT MIGHTA HAD SOMETHIN'....TA DOO.......WHIFF...PLAYIN' UH GOOD DEFESE........WHAA DOES...OHIO STATE....BEAT RUTGERS....52-3......AN'.....PENN ST......27-26.......BRAWK!

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 01:59 PM
.......UH...ER....UMMMM........THINK IT MIGHTA HAD SOMETHIN'....TA DOO.......WHIFF...PLAYIN' UH GOOD DEFESE........WHAA DOES...OHIO STATE....BEAT RUTGERS....52-3......AN'.....PENN ST......27-26.......BRAWK!Who said UNI had a good defense?? It was average at best, NDSU dropped 50+ on them in their own building. They shut out Hampton (BFD) and Misery State. WIU and YSU dropped 37 and 31 on them respectively. They are probably a better D than UC Davis saw all year, outside of Stanford, but that isn't saying much. They didn't play Weber State.

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2018, 02:28 PM
They **** out Hampton (BFD) and Misery State.
Dang, I bet that was painful!

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2018, 02:31 PM
Who said UNI had a good defense?? It was average at best, NDSU dropped 50+ on them in their own building. They **** out Hampton (BFD) and Misery State. WIU and YSU dropped 37 and 31 on them respectively. They are probably a better D than UC Davis saw all year, outside of Stanford, but that isn't saying much. They didn't play Weber State.

....DEY WERE IN 40'S/50'S....ALL SEASON...........SLOWED TA LOW 20'S.......BAH PANTHERS.......AH THINK DUH IOWAH D SHOWED UP........AH SAW GAME IN IT'S ENTIRETY.....AWK!

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 02:34 PM
Dang, I bet that was painful!WTF, I meant to type shut out.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 02:41 PM
....DEY WERE IN 40'S/50'S....ALL SEASON...........SLOWED TA LOW 20'S.......BAH PANTHERS.......AH THINK DUH IOWAH D SHOWED UP........AH SAW GAME IN IT'S ENTIRETY.....AWK!Yea, they finished the year at 45th in total defense and 6th in the MVFC, so they were a bottom tier D in the MVFC, which is probably the best measurement because there are teams pretty high up there that would get freaking boat raced against decent competition.

MTfan4life
December 3rd, 2018, 05:54 PM

If Maier's stock for you went down after watching the UNI game, shouldn't Christion's stock go down for the same reason? You, yourself, said UNI had an average at best defense and Christion had 25 incompletions with 2 interceptions and his team scored 9 points against UNI. That's a weakness for Maier to only score 23 on UNI, but not for Christion to be held to 9.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 06:04 PM
If Maier's stock for you went down after watching the UNI game, shouldn't Christion's stock go down for the same reason? You, yourself, said UNI had an average at best defense and Christion had 25 incompletions with 2 interceptions and his team scored 9 points against UNI. That's a weakness for Maier to only score 23 on UNI, but not for Christion to be held to 9.
Probably. Didn’t watch the game. BTW I had Maier in my top three so what is your issue.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2018, 06:33 PM

I’ll use the argument everyone’s thrown at Taryn EVERY year. Maier has better wrs. Also he got UNI on the road. Different animal.

smallcollegefbfan
December 3rd, 2018, 06:39 PM
I’m waiting to see Jimmy F’n Moreland’s name. Don’t blow it STATS.

He belongs in the top 5 but don't blame STATS because it is on the voters. Haley is just one vote lol.

dewey
December 3rd, 2018, 10:26 PM
I have been calling it for a while.

Easton Stick will win the Payton award.

Dewey

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2018, 03:13 AM
It's kind of crazy that last year Bragalone was a finalist last year after gaining just shy of 1400 yards largely against the sisters of the poor. Then this season, Joe Protheroe ran for over 1800 yards against a schedule that featured 5 playoff teams, 2 more 6 win teams, with 4 being seeded playoff teams, and he's not a finalist. The main difference and the reason why Burks is a finalist this season? Touchdowns. The voters are obsessed with them. Chandler Burks has run for 29 TDs this season. They really don't seem to care about any other statistic, which surprises me for how Easton Stick got in there.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 07:37 AM
It's kind of crazy that last year Bragalone was a finalist last year after gaining just shy of 1400 yards largely against the sisters of the poor. Then this season, Joe Protheroe ran for over 1800 yards against a schedule that featured 5 playoff teams, 2 more 6 win teams, with 4 being seeded playoff teams, and he's not a finalist. The main difference and the reason why Burks is a finalist this season? Touchdowns. The voters are obsessed with them. Chandler Burks has run for 29 TDs this season. They really don't seem to care about any other statistic, which surprises me for how Easton Stick got in there.
Stick did have 33 combined TDs (22 passing and 11 rushing) in the regular season which I believe trailed Burks, Hodges, and Maier (by 1) for combined TDs amongst the "contenders".

Redbird 4th & short
December 4th, 2018, 08:45 AM
good post ... seems almost random what they're looking for with their finalist in any given year.

smallcollegefbfan
December 4th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Hall, Olson, Roberson Invited to Announcement of 2018 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award

CHICAGO – Dec. 4, 2018 –– Three record-setting players will decide the highest individual defensive honor in the FCS.

Junior linebackers Zach Hall of Southeast Missouri and Dante Olson of Montana and senior defensive end Derick Roberson of Sam Houston State were invited on Tuesday to the announcement of the 2018 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award, which goes to the outstanding defensive player in college football’s Division I subdivision.

The Buchanan, named for the Pro and College Football Hall-of-Famer and presented since 1995, will be handed out at the STATS FCS Awards Banquet and Presentation Jan. 4 in Frisco, Texas – on the eve of the national championship game. Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathis, Jared Allen, Arthur Moats and Kyle Emanuel are among past winners who have gone on to the NFL.

Hall, from Louisville, set Southeast Missouri’s single-season record with 168 tackles – the most in the FCS – while his team earned its first playoff win and finished 9-4. The Ohio Valley Conference defensive player of the year racked up 12 tackles for loss, two sacks, four interceptions, two pass breakups, two fumble recoveries, four forced fumbles, one blocked kick, one defensive touchdown and one safety.

Olson, from Medford, Oregon, has recorded the season’s FCS single-game high with 24 tackles, finishing with a school-record 151 overall. His 13.7 tackles per game rank No. 1 nationally, and the All-Big Sky Conference first-team selection had 11 tackles for loss, six sacks, two interceptions, three pass breakups, five quarterback hurries and three forced fumbles in 11 games.

Roberson, from San Antonio, tied Sam Houston’s single-season record with 15 sacks, ranking second in the FCS with an average of 1.36 per game. His five forced fumbles are tied for the second-most nationally, and the All-Southland Conference first-team selection had 68 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, two pass breakups, a blocked kick and a safety in 11 games.

A national panel of 153 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries voted on the Buck Buchanan Award following the regular season. Voters selected a Top 5 on their ballot.

The 2018 Buck Buchanan Award results for fourth through 25th place were as follows:

4. Jabril Cox, LB, North Dakota State: 22-13-10-9-12–222
5. Isiah Swann, CB, Dartmouth: 5-22-17-10-18–202
6. Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison: 13-16-11-14-10–200
7. B.J. Blunt, LB, McNeese: 12-4-15-13-17–164
8. Nick Wheeler, DE, Colgate: 9-5-11-8-12–126
9. Robbie Grimsley, S, North Dakota State: 7-8-5-10-11–113
10. Anthony Gore Jr., LB, Kennesaw State: 2-5-5-6-4–61
11. Darryl Johnson Jr., DE, North Carolina A&T: 1-4-4-6-4–49
12. Mason Moe, LB, UC Davis: 2-4-0-8-2–44
13. (Tie) Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois: 1-5-3-3-2–42
13. (Tie) Sterling Sheffield, LB, Maine: 1-1-6-5-5–42
15. Troy Reeder, LB, Delaware: 1-3-3-4-2–36
16. Cam Gill, LB, Wagner: 1-1-5-3-3–33
17. Isaiah Mack, DE, Chattanooga: 2-1-1-6-3–32
18. Will Warner, S, Drake: 1-0-2-3-5–22
19. Thomas Costigan, LB, Bryant: 1-2-1-0-3–19
20. (Tie) Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware: 0-1-2-1-3–15
20. (Tie) Darin Greenfield, DE, South Dakota: 0-2-1-2-0–15
22. Ahmad Gooden, DE, Samford: 0-1-2-0-4–14
23. De’Arius Christmas, LB, Grambling State: 0-1-1-2-1–12
24. (Tie) Nick Miller, LB, Penn: 0-1-0-0-2–6
25. (Tie) Nasir Player, DL, ETSU: 0-1-0-1-0–6

Next year the award is likely going to go to a long time NFL star with so many talented players back. Olson, Hall, Cox, Swann, Johnson, Warner, Player, Greenfield, Wheeler, and Gill are all back.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM
If Cox ended at 4th, I'm liking his chance for next year.

Olson is my pick though. Kid made every tackle possible. Hall, would be a solid pick too.

jmu007
December 4th, 2018, 12:09 PM
JFM at 6th is a joke. Teams literally avoided him as if he was Deon this year.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 4th, 2018, 12:26 PM
If Cox ended at 4th, I'm liking his chance for next year.

Olson is my pick though. Kid made every tackle possible. Hall, would be a solid pick too.

Cox is amazing too and agree with you on him. Also agree on Olson, right from the beginning I couldn't believe the way the kid played. He was playing next to this guy...

Josh Buss
2018: Named to the Buck Buchanan Award watch list ... STATS FCS preseason first team All-American ... Only FCS player named to the Butkus Award preseason watch list ... Preseason Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year ... College Sports Madness Preseason first-team All-American ... Phil Steele preseason first-team All-American ... FreeAgentFootball.com Preseason First-team All-American

So, pretty amazing and had good competition for all those tackles and so forth made along the way.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Cox is amazing too and agree with you on him. Also agree on Olson, right from the beginning I couldn't believe the way the kid played. He was playing next to this guy...

Josh Buss
2018: Named to the Buck Buchanan Award watch list ... STATS FCS preseason first team All-American ... Only FCS player named to the Butkus Award preseason watch list ... Preseason Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year ... College Sports Madness Preseason first-team All-American ... Phil Steele preseason first-team All-American ... FreeAgentFootball.com Preseason First-team All-American

So, pretty amazing and had good competition for all those tackles and so forth made along the way.I saw Olson play a few games and I was just blown away by his athleticism. It's almost as if he knew where the play was going and found a way to get there before the offense knew where it was going. I'd love to have seen Dante wear the Green and Gold and to think he has another year, he will be a special player on Sunday's

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
December 4th, 2018, 12:55 PM
I saw Olson play a few games and I was just blown away by his athleticism. It's almost as if he knew where the play was going and found a way to get there before the offense knew where it was going. I'd love to have seen Dante wear the Green and Gold and to think he has another year, he will be a special player on Sunday's

Yep, he immediately reminded me of Tim Hauck in that regard.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Yep, he immediately reminded me of Tim Hauck in that regard.For me, he reminds me of Jake Farley and Brett Taylor. I never saw Tim but I saw Jake and Brtt and they both had a nose for the football and could completely change a game. Same body frame and weight the only difference is is that Olson will likely play on Sundays. Hard to think, but the Big Sky All-Defense LB team is likely to be those Olson plus Troy Anderson.

Forgot Buss was a senior.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 01:37 PM
I’ll use the argument everyone’s thrown at Taryn EVERY year. Maier has better wrs. Also he got UNI on the road. Different animal.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29666&stc=1.....LET US.....EXAMINE...........#15 STONY [email protected] KNOWS WHERE.......MISSOURI....RANKED #23........WAS UH MASSACRE.....HMMMMMM!..........AWK!

MTfan4life
December 4th, 2018, 02:00 PM
good post ... seems almost random what they're looking for with their finalist in any given year.

It's understandable with the way the process is set up. I'd much rather have a pool of 10 or so experts who actually know all the players picking this award. Instead you have 151 media people across the country where they likely only know names from their own region. So, a good 80% of the voters are picking guys who either sound familiar or have good stats. And once you realize that, it really cheapens how you perceive the award.

cpalum
December 4th, 2018, 03:35 PM

Somehow it feels like if Protheroe put up these stats with a Cal Poly squad that didn't suck he'd be a finalist. The flip side is our coach is a clown and essentially was coaching and calling plays to showcase Protheroe for most of the later part of the season. Kind of tough to really say but I guess what I'm getting at is his stats would have normalized if Cal Poly had more balance in their offense. Without question JP is a great player and I hope he is able to further his career at the next level.

dewey
December 5th, 2018, 06:58 AM

Agreed.

The local TV Sports guy for the Bison had JM at #1.

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1069992219560632320

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2018, 07:06 AM

JM should be the winner this year.

Redbird 4th & short
December 5th, 2018, 09:05 AM
The more I think about this and look down the list, wow they got it so wrong with their top 3 ... I kind of get Hodges because of his sheer numbers, though he had 15 or 16 picks, he threw nearly 500 passes .. so they asked a lot of him in that offense.

But between Christion, Cal Poly RB Protheroe (the Lehigh RB comparison per other poster was very telling), Meier, and god forbid I awaken World .. even Princeton QB Lovett way over Burks. How those 4 wound up behind Burkes completely blows my mind. And as much as I like how much Stick has developed, how well he played, and believe he would have much better stats in any program not named NDSU .. that is no reason to award him by effectively saying, he could have done much better if asked to do more. You have to award the guy who was asked to do more and did more.

Man they got this wrong.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2018, 09:34 AM
The more I think about this and look down the list, wow they got it so wrong with their top 3 ... I kind of get Hodges because of his sheer numbers, though he had 15 or 16 picks, he threw nearly 500 passes .. so they asked a lot of him in that offense.

Just for reference...FWIW

Hodges threw 16 INT’s in 550 Attempts = 2.09%
Christion has thrown 6 INT’s in 296 Attempts = 2.03%
Burks has thrown 6 INT’s in 116 Attempts = 5.17%
Stick has thrown 5 INT’s in 228 Attempts = 2.19%
Lovett threw 3 INT’s in 221 Attempts = 1.36%
Maier has thrown 8 INT’s in 519 Attempts = 1.54%

So...in terms of propensity to throw INT’s...

Hodges about the same as ‘peers’ (Christion & Stick)
Burks much worse than peers (over 2x worse).
Lovett & Maier better than peers.

Redbird 4th & short
December 5th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Just for reference...FWIW

Hodges threw 16 INT’s in 550 Attempts = 2.09%
Christion has thrown 6 INT’s in 296 Attempts = 2.03%
Burks has thrown 6 INT’s in 116 Attempts = 5.17%
Stick has thrown 5 INT’s in 228 Attempts = 2.19%
Lovett threw 3 INT’s in 221 Attempts = 1.36%
Maier has thrown 8 INT’s in 519 Attempts = 1.54%

So...in terms of propensity to throw INT’s...

Hodges about the same as ‘peers’ (Christion & Stick)
Burks much worse than peers (over 2x worse).
Lovett & Maier better than peers.
thanks, i was too lazy (on way to work) to do myself ... I do think Hodges belongs in top 3 .. they demanded a lot of him, he produced, and their SOS is top 25 level, so no padding of stats against weak teams.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2018, 09:49 AM
thanks, i was too lazy (on way to work) to do myself ... I do think Hodges belongs in top 3 .. they demanded a lot of him, he produced, and their SOS is top 25 level, so no padding of stats against weak teams.
Well..they did play D2 Shorter...which, honestly, I believe, would lose to 1/2 of the 7A HS Teams in GA. They are the proud owners of a 39 game losing streak. Their last win was over Mississippi College on 10/3/15. But...interestingly, the week before that, they beat this year’s FCS Playoff 2nd round participant, SEMO.

vs. Shorter

Player
Cmp
Att.
Yds.
TD
Int.
Long
Sack

Devlin Hodges

ksu_owls
December 5th, 2018, 01:31 PM
In fairness to Burks, when the stats/coaches and AGS have the Owls in the top 4 of the polls, it would make sense to award the top offensive producer from that team with a top 3 pick. He may throw interceptions at twice the rate as hodges, but he also has nearly 40 TDs on the year. I agree that those numbers are inflated because we play in the Big South, but there were many games Burks didn't play more than a snap in the 2nd half. My point mainly is that with the ranking that many of the AGS voters gave the Owls, it would make sense for their top player to be on the list.

FUBeAR
December 5th, 2018, 02:07 PM
In fairness to Burks, when the stats/coaches and AGS have the Owls in the top 4 of the polls, it would make sense to award the top offensive producer from that team with a top 3 pick. He may throw interceptions at twice the rate as hodges, but he also has nearly 40 TDs on the year. I agree that those numbers are inflated because we play in the Big South, but there were many games Burks didn't play more than a snap in the 2nd half. My point mainly is that with the ranking that many of the AGS voters gave the Owls, it would make sense for their top player to be on the list.Take Burks stat lines vs. GaSt, Samford, JaxSt, and Wofford.
Divide all of them by 4.
Now multiply by 11, 12, or 13 (your call) to get your best apples-to-apples comparison of him vs. Hodges, Stick, Christion, Lovett, Maier, and/or any RB’s you want to compare him to...if you want to go that route.

If the numbers are good, post ‘em.
If not, stick with “he should be a finalist because we have a good record and good Team stats.”
The latter won’t get much traction with this crowd, but it’s somethin’

Noryan34
December 5th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Take Burks stat lines vs. GaSt, Samford, JaxSt, and Wofford.
Divide all of them by 4.
Now multiply by 11, 12, or 13 (your call) to get your best apples-to-apples comparison of him vs. Hodges, Stick, Christion, Lovett, Maier, and/or any RB’s you want to compare him to...if you want to go that route.

If the numbers are good, post ‘em.
If not, stick with “he should be a finalist because we have a good record and good Team stats.”
The latter won’t get much traction with this crowd, but it’s somethin’

Interesting point slow day at work so real quick hypothetical 12 games against best 4 opponents but I skipped the FBS games as Stick does not have one this year

Since its not an even comparison to do it to one and not the others

Burks - 81/162 (50%) 1233 yd 15 TD 15 INT (1:1 TD:INT)(9.26% INT per att) 225 att 777 yd 3.5 YPC 21 TD
Hodges- 390/540 (72%) 4065 yd 21 TD 12 INT (1.75:1 TD:INT)(2.22% INT per att) 138 att 372 yd 2.7 YPC 15 TD
Stick - 126/219 (58%) 2085 yd 24 TD 6 INT (4:1 TD:INT)(2.7% INT per att) 75 att 426 yd 5.7 YPC 15 TD

Not sure this proves anything as I think we all knew Hodges has/had the pure numbers and Stick was more efficient

Redbird 4th & short
December 6th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Interesting point slow day at work so real quick hypothetical 12 games against best 4 opponents but I skipped the FBS games as Stick does not have one this year

Burks - 81/162 (50%) 1233 yd 15 TD 15 INT (1:1 TD:INT)(9.26% INT per att) 225 att 777 yd 3.5 YPC 21 TD
Hodges- 390/540 (72%) 4065 yd 21 TD 12 INT (1.75:1 TD:INT)(2.22% INT per att) 138 att 372 yd 2.7 YPC 15 TD
Stick - 126/219 (58%) 2085 yd 24 TD 6 INT (4:1 TD:INT)(2.7% INT per att) 75 att 426 yd 5.7 YPC 15 TD

Not sure this proves anything as I think we all knew Hodges has/had the pure numbers and Stick was more efficient

Thanks for doing this .. and it does prove a point. Though I'm not sure what games you used for each .. no need to clarify. Burks ran for just 3.5 ypc and then passed for 50% completion rate and had TD to Pick ratio of 1:1 playing against the teams with a heartbeat ... but they are not not exactly murderers row as FCS teams defensively for KSU opponents.

Proves the point even moreso. But Burks and Chistion get to go at it head to head this weekend.

Bisonator
December 6th, 2018, 08:03 AM

But between Christion, Cal Poly RB Protheroe (the Lehigh RB comparison per other poster was very telling), Meier, and god forbid I awaken World .. even Princeton QB Lovett way over Burks. How those 4 wound up behind Burkes completely blows my mind. And as much as I like how much Stick has developed, how well he played, and believe he would have much better stats in any program not named NDSU .. that is no reason to award him by effectively saying, he could have done much better if asked to do more. You have to award the guy who was asked to do more and did more.

Man they got this wrong.
I get it when you just look at the stats and I'm in no way saying Stick should win this award or even be in the top 3 but people who do not understand football or our system do not understand how much responsibility we put on the QB. They have no idea how important that position is to our success running the FB as well. They simply see the QB hand the ball off and think that's all the QB is doing when that's far from the truth. Yeah our QB is never going to put up the stats that other players will in other systems but those other players don't necessarily have the most responsibility for their teams success either. Pretty sure every kid thinking about playing for NDSU realizes they are not going to win a lot of personal stat based awards.

Noryan34
December 6th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Thanks for doing this .. and it does prove a point. Though I'm not sure what games you used for each .. no need to clarify. Burks ran for just 3.5 ypc and then passed for 50% completion rate and had TD to Pick ratio of 1:1 playing against the teams with a heartbeat ... but they are not not exactly murderers row as FCS teams defensively for KSU opponents.

Proves the point even moreso. But Burks and Chistion get to go at it head to head this weekend.

Made me think of some more numbers as this time of year is best time for stats as there are more data points. For those that believe in computer rankings heres the avg Sagarin rank and predictor value of the four opponenets I used for each

Burks (142.5)(50.6)
Hodges (136.25)(53.0)
Stick (107)(60.2)

Noryan34
December 6th, 2018, 08:41 AM

To stoke the fire of argument

Christian - 231/402 (57%) 2970 yd 18 TD 9 INT (2:1 TD:INT)(2.22% INT/att) 69 att 237 yd 3.4 YPC 3 TD

McNeese72
December 6th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Hall, Olson, Roberson Invited to Announcement of 2018 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award

CHICAGO – Dec. 4, 2018 –– Three record-setting players will decide the highest individual defensive honor in the FCS.

Junior linebackers Zach Hall of Southeast Missouri and Dante Olson of Montana and senior defensive end Derick Roberson of Sam Houston State were invited on Tuesday to the announcement of the 2018 STATS FCS Buck Buchanan Award, which goes to the outstanding defensive player in college football’s Division I subdivision.

The Buchanan, named for the Pro and College Football Hall-of-Famer and presented since 1995, will be handed out at the STATS FCS Awards Banquet and Presentation Jan. 4 in Frisco, Texas – on the eve of the national championship game. Dexter Coakley, Rashean Mathis, Jared Allen, Arthur Moats and Kyle Emanuel are among past winners who have gone on to the NFL.

Hall, from Louisville, set Southeast Missouri’s single-season record with 168 tackles – the most in the FCS – while his team earned its first playoff win and finished 9-4. The Ohio Valley Conference defensive player of the year racked up 12 tackles for loss, two sacks, four interceptions, two pass breakups, two fumble recoveries, four forced fumbles, one blocked kick, one defensive touchdown and one safety.

Olson, from Medford, Oregon, has recorded the season’s FCS single-game high with 24 tackles, finishing with a school-record 151 overall. His 13.7 tackles per game rank No. 1 nationally, and the All-Big Sky Conference first-team selection had 11 tackles for loss, six sacks, two interceptions, three pass breakups, five quarterback hurries and three forced fumbles in 11 games.

Roberson, from San Antonio, tied Sam Houston’s single-season record with 15 sacks, ranking second in the FCS with an average of 1.36 per game. His five forced fumbles are tied for the second-most nationally, and the All-Southland Conference first-team selection had 68 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, two pass breakups, a blocked kick and a safety in 11 games.

A national panel of 153 sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries voted on the Buck Buchanan Award following the regular season. Voters selected a Top 5 on their ballot.

The 2018 Buck Buchanan Award results for fourth through 25th place were as follows:

Next year the award is likely going to go to a long time NFL star with so many talented players back. Olson, Hall, Cox, Swann, Johnson, Warner, Player, Greenfield, Wheeler, and Gill are all back.

B. J. Blunt was the Southland Defensive Player of the Year but a Sam Houston player is one of the finalists. Yep.......makes total sense. SMH.

Doc

Derby City Duke
December 6th, 2018, 11:43 AM
B. J. Blunt was the Southland Defensive Player of the Year but a Sam Houston player is one of the finalists. Yep.......makes total sense. SMH.

Doc

Hey, last year Jordan Brown was an All-American safety and wasn't 1st team CAA...award voters are weird.

grizband
December 6th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Olson is a finalist for Buchanan, but didn't win Big Sky DPOY. If he wins the Buchanan, it would be the third time a player from the Big Sky won the Buchanan without winning the defensive player of the year award.

FUBeAR
December 6th, 2018, 03:37 PM

Just a side note regarding methodology/intent - my suggestion was not intended to ‘pick the 4 best opponents’ for Burks, although that is certainly the outcome. I was more trying to remove the other 8 non-competitive, ‘exhibition’ games from his stats to ‘level the playing field’ with the other finalists/Players mentioned. The idea is to remove, as much as possible, the strength of schedule differences from the stats comparison. I’ve always been a fan of isolating / reducing variables when trying to analyze situations. By selecting the best 4 from each, you reintroduce the SoS variable, I think. Perhaps, if you used the 4 suggested games for Burks and all games for the others, you would find those Sagarin / Predictor values (or other SoS measures) would have a narrower distribution and, thus, the ‘calculated stats for Burks can be viewed in a more common ‘environment’ with the others. Just my FUBeAR-ish thinking. Most know, though, that FUBeAR is a Bear of little brain.

Note: I’m not diddling around with this because I’m trying to make Burks look better or worse against the others. I don’t care. Being a SoCon guy, I hope Hodges wins it. Just trying to assist those that have been discussing it with a method to ‘normalize’ his stats, given KSU’s weak schedule as compared to the other contenders.

ksu_owls
December 6th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Just a side note regarding methodology/intent - my suggestion was not intended to ‘pick the 4 best opponents’ for Burks, although that is certainly the outcome. I was more trying to remove the other 8 non-competitive, ‘exhibition’ games from his stats to ‘level the playing field’ with the other finalists/Players mentioned. The idea is to remove, as much as possible, the strength of schedule differences from the stats comparison. I’ve always been a fan of isolating / reducing variables when trying to analyze situations. By selecting the best 4 from each, you reintroduce the SoS variable, I think. Perhaps, if you used the 4 suggested games for Burks and all games for the others, you would find those Sagarin / Predictor values (or other SoS measures) would have a narrower distribution and, thus, the ‘calculated stats for Burks can be viewed in a more common ‘environment’ with the others. Just my FUBeAR-ish thinking. Most know, though, that FUBeAR is a Bear of little brain.

Note: I’m not diddling around with this because I’m trying to make Burks look better or worse against the others. I don’t care. Being a SoCon guy, I hope Hodges wins it. Just trying to assist those that have been discussing it with a method to ‘normalize’ his stats, given KSU’s weak schedule as compared to the other contenders.

Burks would literally have 50 TDs if he played every snap this season. There's a point when you are abolishing a Big South team that you decide to play the scout O and D. I agree his stats are inflated because of his competition and that even 50 TDs against our SOS wouldn't be as impressive to some, but with him being the leader of the AGS ranked #3 (is that right or did you guys have us at #4?) then it isn't a surprise he is a top three candidate. Either rank the Owls lower for SOS or give the 3rd/4th best team by AGS standards their due respect by having their offensive leader as a finalist. Am I trying to oversimplify this? I really only know that this is an award for an offensive player and I have no context of its history.

Professor Chaos
December 6th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Burks would literally have 50 TDs if he played every snap this season. There's a point when you are abolishing a Big South team that you decide to play the scout O and D. I agree his stats are inflated because of his competition and that even 50 TDs against our SOS wouldn't be as impressive to some, but with him being the leader of the AGS ranked #3 (is that right or did you guys have us at #4?) then it isn't a surprise he is a top three candidate. Either rank the Owls lower for SOS or give the 3rd/4th best team by AGS standards their due respect by having their offensive leader as a finalist. Am I trying to oversimplify this? I really only know that this is an award for an offensive player and I have no context of its history.
I thought abolishing things in the South was frowned upon??? (where's citdog when you need him???)

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2018, 05:25 PM

Did someone say Delaware was not worthy of having 2 players on the watch list?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 6th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I get it when you just look at the stats and I'm in no way saying Stick should win this award or even be in the top 3 but people who do not understand football or our system do not understand how much responsibility we put on the QB. They have no idea how important that position is to our success running the FB as well. They simply see the QB hand the ball off and think that's all the QB is doing when that's far from the truth. Yeah our QB is never going to put up the stats that other players will in other systems but those other players don't necessarily have the most responsibility for their teams success either. Pretty sure every kid thinking about playing for NDSU realizes they are not going to win a lot of personal stat based awards.

Plus, how many of those other QBs change plays at the line of scrimmage. ES has free reign to change plays if he sees something opening up. Most other QBs look to the sideline for the coach to change the play.

Stats or not, I would not trade him for any other QB on the list.

Redbird 4th & short
December 7th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Plus, how many of those other QBs change plays at the line of scrimmage. ES has free reign to change plays if he sees something opening up. Most other QBs look to the sideline for the coach to change the play.

Stats or not, I would not trade him for any other QB on the list.
agree with point you and Bisonator are making. I made the swap teams with Christion for Burks argument, and could easily have made same argument swapping Stick for Burks. And having watched Stick develop over the years, he seemed to get better each year. I think he is right up there with Jensen for his career. Jensen had a more productive senior year. But I would argue Stick was more consistent than Jensen over his 3 years starting .. I think they both started 3 years ?? I know there are rabid Jensen fans out there, but I thought he struggled a lot for consistency his first 2 seasons as starter, then put it altogether his SR year .. though on that great 2013 team. Not picking a fight with Jensen loyalists, but Stick was thrust into role earlier (Wentz injury) and played very consistently, even if not asked to do a lot early. Sorry for digressing ...

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2018, 08:47 AM
agree with point you and Bisonator are making. I made the swap teams with Christion for Burks argument, and could easily have made same argument swapping Stick for Burks. And having watched Stick develop over the years, he seemed to get better each year. I think he is right up there with Jensen for his career. Jensen had a more productive senior year. But I would argue Stick was more consistent than Jensen over his 3 years starting .. I think they both started 3 years ?? I know there are rabid Jensen fans out there, but I thought he struggled a lot for consistency his first 2 seasons as starter, then put it altogether his SR year .. though on that great 2013 team. Not picking a fight with Jensen loyalists, but Stick was thrust into role earlier (Wentz injury) and played very consistently, even if not asked to do a lot early. Sorry for digressing ...

Both Stick and Jensen had starts their redshirt freshman seasons (Stick with the Wentz injury and Jensen as an on/off again starter in 2010 with Jose Mohler).....Stick is a better QB than Jensen....Jensen might have had more "ice" in his veins....but that's about it. Neither will have to buy a beer in Fargo ever again. xlolx

Derby City Duke
December 7th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Don't forget Rashad Robinson will return from injury at CB for JMU; 2017 all-american and 2018 pre-season all-american before his injury.

FUBeAR
December 7th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Both Stick and Jensen had starts their redshirt freshman seasons (Stick with the Wentz injury and Jensen as an on/off again starter in 2010 with Jose Mohler).....Stick is a better QB than Jensen....Jensen might have had more "ice" in his veins....but that's about it. Neither will have to buy a beer in Fargo ever again. xlolx
You know what would be awesome!

If you guys could, in this thread, give us a game-by-game narrative of each of the NDSU careers of Wentz, Jensen, and Stick along with with their stats for each game and cumulate those stats each week as you describe each game. Some charts, showing where each of them stood at each game of their career, would be a great addition. Once we have that all completely reviewed and digested that info, I think we’ll have a solid foundation upon we we can intelligently determine the 2018 Payton Award winner.

Redbird 4th & short
December 11th, 2018, 08:42 AM
You know what would be awesome!

If you guys could, in this thread, give us a game-by-game narrative of each of the NDSU careers of Wentz, Jensen, and Stick along with with their stats for each game and cumulate those stats each week as you describe each game. Some charts, showing where each of them stood at each game of their career, would be a great addition. Once we have that all completely reviewed and digested that info, I think we’ll have a solid foundation upon we we can intelligently determine the 2018 Payton Award winner.

touche' ... but there was actually a point (i.e. historical context as a Bison QB) to that little tangent having to do with how good Stick is, but still not worthy IMO of top 3 for Payton award this year .. but still way more worthy than Burk. But I still could have seen at least 3 or 4 other players a little ahead of Stick, but way way head of Burk.

But you still get a touche .. albeit with an asterisk xdrunkyx

p.s. I still like Burk and what he does for his team.. he and his team are legit. I just don't see him even in top 10 for Payton .. would not be top 5 playing in MVFC. But do hope his injury wasn't to serious. Very nice season regardless.

JacksFan40
December 11th, 2018, 12:42 PM
All this talk about Stick and Jensen, I think you’re forgetting the legend Nick Mertens. His 2009 season was legendary.

grizband
December 11th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Weber State's Josh Davis (RB) wins the Jerry Rice award as the top freshman in FCS.

https://sports.yahoo.com/weber-states-davis-runs-off-jerry-rice-award-172027537--ncaaf.html

Here are the voting results, from that website:

The Rice Award results:
1. Josh Davis, RB, Weber State: 71-29-15-7-3-533
2. Jon Copeland, QB, Incarnate Word: 29-34-15-13-16-368
3. Quay Holmes, RB, ETSU: 8-25-29-18-9-272
4. Adrian Hope, LB, Furman: 16-14-25-19-11-268
5. Juwon Farri, RB, Monmouth: 7-9-7-20-14-146
6. Christian Benford, CB, Villanova: 2-8-7-17-13-110
7. Robby Hauck, S, Montana: 1-3-5-18-10-78
8. Jack Cook (https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/265443/), QB, Dayton: 3-4-9-5-8-76
9. Ulonzo Gilliam, RB, UC Davis: 2-7-4-8-3-69
10. Andrew Edgar, WR, Illinois State: 0-4-8-8-8-60
11. Caleb Snead, WR, Campbell: 3-4-2-6-10-59
12. Ty Brock, QB, Sam Houston State: 4-0-7-3-8-55
13. Jareem Westcott, RB, Stetson: 0-4-6-0-10-44
14. Malik Hamm, DE, Lafayette: 2-1-4-2-6-36
15. Bailey Fisher, QB, Tennessee Tech: 1-2-1-6-5-33
16. Xavier Smith, WR, Florida A&M: 1-2-2-1-6-27
17. Noah Larson, LB, North Dakota: 1-0-4-1-7-26
18. Julius Chestnut, RB, Sacred Heart: 2-1-1-0-1-18
19. Mohammed Diakite, CB, Penn: 0-1-2-1-3-15
20. Skyler Perry, QB, Arkansas-Pine Bluff: 0-0-0-0-2-2
A first-place vote was worth five points, a second-place vote four points, a third-place vote three points, a fourth-place vote two points and a fifth-place vote one point.

TheKingpin28
December 11th, 2018, 02:59 PM
All this talk about Stick and Jensen, I think you’re forgetting the legend Nick Mertens. His 2009 season was legendary.

It is almost as legendary as SDSU's exits from the playoffs.

kdinva
December 13th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Cal-Davis Coach Hawkins wins Robinson award....

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181212120346209254304

1. Dan Hawkins, UC Davis: 24-23-19-17-14-317
2. Brian Bohannon, Kennesaw State: 30-17-14-16-12-304
3. Dan Hunt, Colgate: 16-12-20-18-18-242
4. Curt Mallory, Indiana State: 23-16-12-6-7-234
5. Chris Klieman, North Dakota State: 11-15-20-14-21-224
6. Joe Harasymiak, Maine: 18-16-12-9-12-220
7. Bob Surace, Princeton: 7-18-17-19-11-207
8. Eric Morris, Incarnate Word: 12-10-13-14-18-185
9. (Tie) Tom Matukewicz, Southeast Missouri: 2-7-9-12-9-98
9. (Tie) Randy Sanders, ETSU: 4-8-6-7-14-98

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Can't argue much about Hawkins getting it but I thought Mallory from Indiana St and Sanders from ETSU would push him more than they did. Bohannon almost won it... voters must've been looking at it moreso as a career accomplishment with those votes since he built the program from scratch.

Sycamore62
December 13th, 2018, 09:30 AM

We've been getting a lot of "first 3 out" awards this year

ksu_owls
December 13th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Can't argue much about Hawkins getting it but I thought Mallory from Indiana St and Sanders from ETSU would push him more than they did. Bohannon almost won it... voters must've been looking at it moreso as a career accomplishment with those votes since he built the program from scratch.

Congrats to Coach Hawkins! Well deserved.

I have to believe if Coach Bo finds a way to get the Owls to the quarterfinals again in 2019 he'll win this next season. He'll be coaching up a whole new group of starters on offense, but the defense might be dirty enough to get us there.... we'll see!

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Congrats to Coach Hawkins! Well deserved.

I have to believe if Coach Bo finds a way to get the Owls to the quarterfinals again in 2019 he'll win this next season. He'll be coaching up a whole new group of starters on offense, but the defense might be dirty enough to get us there.... we'll see!
I'm pretty sure the voting is done before the playoffs start so it would probably depend moreso on what they do in the regular season. However, I think he'll have "Klieman syndrome" going forward because his teams are going to be expected to be good. The Robinson award almost always goes to a coach whose team came out of nowhere (or at least from outside the playoffs the previous year). You can probably throw a dart at the names of coaches of all of the sub-500 teams in the full-scholly FCS conferences this year and have just as good of a guess as any as to who will win the Robinson award next year.

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2018, 02:20 PM
To stoke the fire of argument

Christian - 231/402 (57%) 2970 yd 18 TD 9 INT (2:1 TD:INT)(2.22% INT/att) 69 att 237 yd 3.4 YPC 3 TD

Um, where do you get these stats? Taryn has 2840 yds with 30 tds and 7 INTS in passing alone after the Kennesaw game.......

Noryan34
December 13th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Um, where do you get these stats? Taryn has 2840 yds with 30 tds and 7 INTS in passing alone after the Kennesaw game.......

It was in reference to earlier talking about Burks stats being inflated due to lack of competition. So its computed stats over a 12 game season using averages from the 4 "toughest" opponents. Its not his "real" stats

And it was before the kennesaw game and a few posts before that has the 3 finalists for award

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2018, 02:42 PM
It was in reference to earlier talking about Burks stats being inflated due to lack of competition. So its computed stats over a 12 game season using averages from the 4 "toughest" opponents. Its not his "real" stats

And it was before the kennesaw game and a few posts before that has the 3 finalists for award

Ahhhhh gotcha.

Redbird 4th & short
December 13th, 2018, 03:41 PM

I think the point of taking Burks toughest 4 games was to make his opponent SOS more on level to something more like what Christion and Stick faced every week, as is. But you showed he performed well (not as great, but well) against the toughest teams in FCS ... and a much tougher 4 than the toughest 4 KSU faced.

I know I'm nitpicking above, but got to call all this Burk love nonsense out .. and some other mixed signals. Bad year for the Payton Award committee. Honestly haven't followed it much before .. maybe this inconsistency nonsense is normal.

AggieFinn
December 13th, 2018, 07:21 PM
Proud of Hawk, and his tremendous staff, pre-season picked 9th in Big Sky to Co-Big Sky Champs and playoff Quarterfinalist.