PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinal: #6 UC Davis @ #3 Eastern Washington

MTfan4life
December 1st, 2018, 10:07 PM
Game Date/Time: December 8 @ 1:00 PST (local time) ESPN3

Rematch of two of the Big Sky's three co-champions.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2018, 10:09 PM
I think EWU will boat race Davis this time at home.

Red & Black
December 1st, 2018, 11:47 PM
I think EWU will boat race Davis this time at home.

We beat them something like 59-20 earlier this year but I think this game will be much closer.

ucdavisaggie05
December 2nd, 2018, 12:29 AM
We beat them something like 59-20 earlier this year but I think this game will be much closer.I concur. Much closer.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 06:24 AM
We beat them something like 59-20 earlier this year but I think this game will be much closer.

Maybe but Davis has a mediocre defense at best.

Instead of a 39 point win maybe a 30.

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 06:50 AM
Mine was a wishful vote. I watched last nights game and then saw the interview with the Davis coach. Will be rooting for them in this one if for no other reason I can't stand that tampon stained field of EWU's. Watching a game on that is the worst!

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 07:25 AM
East Washington dominated the 4th quarter in the first game 24-0, and struggled somewhat yesterday until the blocked punt right before halftime so hoping for the upset but not expecting it...

Iridebikes
December 2nd, 2018, 08:35 AM
It's harder to beat a team the second time and UC Davis will certainly be more prepared for what EWU brings but I do believe that the EAGS will win by 18 points. Should be a much better game then the first version.

kalm
December 2nd, 2018, 08:45 AM
Mine was a wishful vote. I watched last nights game and then saw the interview with the Davis coach. Will be rooting for them in this one if for no other reason I can't stand that tampon stained field of EWU's. Watching a game on that is the worst!

Those tampon jokes just never get old, man. Have you heard the ones about having to wear sunglasses because of the glare? It also turns pink when it snows!

AggieFinn
December 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
Aggie coaching staff better be sharpening their pencils and dissecting EWU film this morning. They need to score, and score big to keep up with the Eagles. Every indication says that pressure will fold Jake Maier's game...and the Aggies can't rush their way to victory next Saturday. They can try, they have some horses to make a run at it, but it won't be enough...if Jake doesn't shine.

All signs point to EWU outpacing Davis at home...

Winterborn
December 2nd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Those tampon jokes just never get old, man. Have you heard the ones about having to wear sunglasses because of the glare? It also turns pink when it snows!

Well when the first thing that comes to mind about EWU football is the field and not the team that plays on it, how can one not make a joke about that? xwhistlex

Too bad you guys don't get more snow in October. You could turn that pink field into an advertisement for Breast Cancer Awareness Month....:D ;)

kdinva
December 2nd, 2018, 10:25 AM
Sad that ESPN could not put this game on ESPN2 or ESPNnews...... xmadx

I know ESPN has 598 hoops games they want to do live,,,,,,,,,but c'mon....

maine612
December 2nd, 2018, 10:30 AM
Selfishly cheering for Davis....but suspect Maine would have to travel to EWU if they get by Weber.

Rjones61
December 2nd, 2018, 11:00 AM
Selfishly cheering for Davis....but suspect Maine would have to travel to EWU if they get by Weber.

Wouldn't Maine have to travel to UC Davis iin this scenario?

MSUBobcat
December 2nd, 2018, 11:16 AM

Ummm.... Maine's road to Frisco requires back to back trips out west. No ifs, ands, or buts.

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 11:22 AM
Ummm.... Maine's road to Frisco requires back to back trips out west. No ifs, ands, or buts.

This is exactly right. If Miane beats Weber State they still travel to either UC Davis or Eastern Washington

The higher ranked seed always hosts.

The semifinal game will be at one of the following.
#2 Weber State
#3 Eastern Washington (if Weber State wins)
#6 UC Davis (if both Weber State & Eastern Washingotn lose)

Dewey

BlueGoldAg
December 2nd, 2018, 01:54 PM
EWU steamrolled the Aggies big time in the first game and there's no doubt that they will be heavily favored at home again in this one. However, I think the Ags will come into this one with a bit of a chip on their shoulders after the way EWU continued to pour it on after the game was clearly over in the previous game. The Ags will not forget that EWU coach, Aaron Best, directed Barriere to throw for yet another TD with 41 seconds to go in the game when the score was 52-20 in favor of EWU.

The following week the Eagles trounced Portland State 74-23. That trend of running up the score has not gone unnoticed by Weber State head coach, Jay Hill. As reported in a Davis Enterprise article, Hill had this to say about it:

"No. 2 Weber State head coach Jay Hill, in an apparent shot at Eastern Washington’s Aaron Best, said “We don’t blow people out to get style points. We don’t believe in that. It’s not ethical.” …In the final two games of the regular season, Eastern played its starters late into the game in wins of 59-20 over the Aggies and 74-23 over Portland State. Against UCD, Eastern’s starting quarterback threw a touchdown pass with just 41 seconds left and the Eagles leading, 52-20. Said Best, “Our motto was ‘Leave No Doubt,’ and we did that all year.'"

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/ucd-football-hosts-northern-iowa-in-fcs-playoff-match/

maine612
December 2nd, 2018, 02:00 PM

I never said Maine would have a home game. I can read a bracket.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 02:04 PM

I believe that was for the E Washington fan.... almost no reason to come back East if you beat Webber State

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2018, 02:19 PM
Well when the first thing that comes to mind about EWU football is the field and not the team that plays on it, how can one not make a joke about that? xwhistlex

Too bad you guys don't get more snow in October. You could turn that pink field into an advertisement for Breast Cancer Awareness Month....:D ;)
You guys play in a ****ing barn. Just zip it already.xcoffeex

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 02:30 PM
You guys are still playing in a ****ing barn, whereas the grizzles aren't playing anywhere. Just zip it already.xcoffeex

FYP

Grizalltheway
December 2nd, 2018, 02:47 PM
How incredibly observant of you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 02:58 PM
FYP

xlolx

Let the rubes have their fun....152-24 in our barn....xthumbsupx

kalm
December 2nd, 2018, 03:55 PM
Fun fact and I don’t think we lost anyone this week but EWU is down 9 starters from the beginning of the season.

kalm
December 2nd, 2018, 03:56 PM
EWU steamrolled the Aggies big time in the first game and there's no doubt that they will be heavily favored at home again in this one. However, I think the Ags will come into this one with a bit of a chip on their shoulders after the way EWU continued to pour it on after the game was clearly over in the previous game. The Ags will not forget that EWU coach, Aaron Best, directed Barriere to throw for yet another TD with 41 seconds to go in the game when the score was 52-20 in favor of EWU.

The following week the Eagles trounced Portland State 74-23. That trend of running up the score has not gone unnoticed by Weber State head coach, Jay Hill. As reported in a Davis Enterprise article, Hill had this to say about it:

"No. 2 Weber State head coach Jay Hill, in an apparent shot at Eastern Washington’s Aaron Best, said “We don’t blow people out to get style points. We don’t believe in that. It’s not ethical.” …In the final two games of the regular season, Eastern played its starters late into the game in wins of 59-20 over the Aggies and 74-23 over Portland State. Against UCD, Eastern’s starting quarterback threw a touchdown pass with just 41 seconds left and the Eagles leading, 52-20. Said Best, “Our motto was ‘Leave No Doubt,’ and we did that all year.'"

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/ucd-football-hosts-northern-iowa-in-fcs-playoff-match/

So why did we kneel on it in a one score game inside the NAU 5 with a minute left?

kalm
December 2nd, 2018, 04:03 PM
xlolx

Let the rubes have their fun....152-24 in our barn....xthumbsupx

Rubes? Interesting.

Iridebikes
December 2nd, 2018, 05:22 PM
Fun fact and I don’t think we lost anyone this week but EWU is down 9 starters from the beginning of the season.

Nice statistic KALM. Guys are missing that I've already forgotten about. Zac Eagle, Taylor at RT. Speaks really well of the depth that the staff has put together.

BlueGoldAg
December 2nd, 2018, 05:37 PM
So why did we kneel on it in a one score game inside the NAU 5 with a minute left?

So why did Best have his #1 QB still in the game and throwing for a totally unnecessary TD on 3rd down from the 6 with 41 seconds to go with the Eagles up by 32 points at the time. The values that the game can teach is bigger than the final score and Best sent the wrong message to his players about respect and when enough is enough. I don't put it on the players; they're just following the coach's lead and Jay Hill obviously feels the same way.

kalm
December 2nd, 2018, 06:18 PM
So why did Best have his #1 QB still in the game and throwing for a totally unnecessary TD on 3rd down from the 6 with 41 seconds to go with the Eagles up by 32 points at the time. The values that the game can teach is bigger than the final score and Best sent the wrong message to his players about respect and when enough is enough. I don't put it on the players; they're just following the coach's lead and Jay Hill obviously feels the same way.

You made the assertion and yet chose to avoid my question. But I'll answer anyway....

I don't like running the score up either. I didn't like it when Mike Leach did it to us earlier in the season up a bunch and still throwing out routes to preserve clock inside of 2 minutes. But I also know there are behind the scenes reasons for doing this.

For example in the Davis game you're still trying to work reps for a QB on a national championship contender who's started only a half season's worth of games against an opponent you may face again.

In the case of PSU I watched the Viking o-line repeatedly go after Big Sky MVP JT Tiuli's knees on blocks and they eventually knocked starting All Big Sky DE Keenan Williams out of the game and probably lost for the season.

Not to mention that Jay Hill's broad brush comment of playing starters late in the game was nothing more than a cheap shot. We had 4th string RB's scoring on 70 yard rush plays against both Davis and PSU. We pulled starters all season in blow outs. It didn't happen at every position all the time as I'm sure it didn't for Weber either....oh wait, Weber lacked the offense to have many true blowouts.

If Hawkins or Hill want to make a statement they'll get their chance too. Or not.

Like I stated, I don't care for it if its unnecessary but there's typically more to the story. But thanks for your attempted lesson in ethics. xcoffeex

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 06:19 PM

Well, hopefully Hawkins can use that lesson and put it to work for the aggies...

blue4gold
December 2nd, 2018, 07:00 PM
We'll need to make adjustments. Perhaps tweaking our style to keep their explosive offense off the field, and our defense well rested. While EWU was the toughest opponent on our schedule, I haven't see the Ags freeze up like that in other games. Maybe a bit against Montana in the first half, but bounced back in second. Weather conditions can very much play a role- hoping that we'll come prepared for that. Limiting turnovers is key. Hawkins may need to pull a trick or two out of his bag. In Hawk we trust

JacksFan40
December 2nd, 2018, 07:20 PM
EWU’s 39 point win over them means jack. Middle Tennesse beat UAB 31-3 in the regular season finale, 1 week later UAB won 27-25 in the C-USA championship over Middle Tennesse. Anything can happen.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 07:27 PM
EWU’s 39 point win over them means jack. Middle Tennesse beat UAB 31-3 in the regular season finale, 1 week later UAB won 27-25 in the C-USA championship over Middle Tennesse. Anything can happen.

I would like to see a stat on who wins most often in the rematch when teams face each other the 2nd time in a season - does the original winner sweep, or does the 1st loser win the rematch most often?

Ivytalk
December 2nd, 2018, 08:01 PM
Eagles by 14+.

BlueGoldAg
December 2nd, 2018, 08:28 PM
You made the assertion and yet chose to avoid my question. But I'll answer anyway....

I don't like running the score up either. I didn't like it when Mike Leach did it to us earlier in the season up a bunch and still throwing out routes to preserve clock inside of 2 minutes. But I also know there are behind the scenes reasons for doing this.

For example in the Davis game you're still trying to work reps for a QB on a national championship contender who's started only a half season's worth of games against an opponent you may face again.

In the case of PSU I watched the Viking o-line repeatedly go after Big Sky MVP JT Tiuli's knees on blocks and they eventually knocked starting All Big Sky DE Keenan Williams out of the game and probably lost for the season.

Not to mention that Jay Hill's broad brush comment of playing starters late in the game was nothing more than a cheap shot. We had 4th string RB's scoring on 70 yard rush plays against both Davis and PSU. We pulled starters all season in blow outs. It didn't happen at every position all the time as I'm sure it didn't for Weber either....oh wait, Weber lacked the offense to have many true blowouts.

If Hawkins or Hill want to make a statement they'll get their chance too. Or not.

Like I stated, I don't care for it if its unnecessary but there's typically more to the story. But thanks for your attempted lesson in ethics. xcoffeex

Since I didn't apparently didn't answer your question about why EWU took a knee in the NAU game with a minute to go. It's pure speculation on my part since I didn't see the game, but I would guess it was a smart play by the Eagles in order to prevent a possible turnover and run time off the clock since it was just a one score lead for EWU. What's that have to do with throwing a TD pass in the final seconds when you are up 32 points?

I would be shocked if Hawkins ever had his QB throwing for a TD with 41 seconds left and his team up 32 points and, if he did, I'd be critical of his decision to do so also. There's just no way to spin that kind of decision into good sportsmanship and mutual respect of your opponent. Hawkins will not try for any payback; that's not in his playbook. He just wants his team to respect each opponent, focus themselves and find ways to get better each week.

An example of how Hawkins chooses to make decisions in a blowout game was apparent in the Aggies 49-36 win at Northern Colorado. The Ags were up 42-10 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. At that point Hawkins pulled his starters and played his 3's and 4's and the Ags scored again to make it 49-10 with 9:15 to go in the game. He continued to leave his backups in and UNC went on to score 26 straight points in the next 7 minutes to pull within 13 points. Aggie fans were not happy that Hawkins let the game that close before he brought his starters back in to close out the final two minutes mostly by taking knees to run out the clock.

After the game Hawkins said that the Aggie backup players deserved to play since they practice just as hard as the starters do and that they are as just as important to the team as anyone else. The margin of the score was not as important to him as getting his reserves as much playing time as he could because "they deserved it and we play a lot of people...that's what we do."

No "ethics lessons" intended but if you would like to see what kind of philosophy and ethics Coach Hawkins is all about please watch this video of Hawkins talking about his vision of Aggie football and what he feels the game of football can teach the young men who play the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aSP8Umw1s

EdubAlum
December 2nd, 2018, 08:36 PM

Ya man. You have been saying that same thing for a few weeks on Aggie Sports Talk, over and over again. We get it. You also know our kicker was out for PSU? That's why we went for two after we missed two field goals.

EdubAlum
December 2nd, 2018, 08:48 PM
No "ethics lessons" intended but if you would like to see what kind of philosophy and ethics Coach Hawkins is all about please watch this video of Hawkins talking about his vision of Aggie football and what he feels the game of football can teach the young men who play the game:

Luckily I grew up in Boise so I have a pretty good memory of Hawkins. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but don't give me that business that he never ran up the score when he had the opportunity. Let me refresh your memory...

BSU Opponent
45 13 W 09-29-2001 Idaho Pullman, WA
49 7 W 10-27-2001 Nevada Boise, ID
56 6 W 11-17-2001 San Jose St. (CA) Boise, ID
67 21 W 10-18-2002 Fresno St. (CA) Boise, ID
45 8 W 10-26-2002 San Jose St. (CA) San Jose, CA
58 3 W 11-02-2002 Texas-El Paso El Paso, TX
49 7 W 11-09-2002 Rice (TX) Boise, ID
44 7 W 11-23-2002 Nevada Reno, NV
62 0 W 09-06-2003 Idaho St. Boise, ID
45 3 W 10-18-2003 Southern Methodist (TX) Dallas, TX
50 12 W 10-30-2003 Brigham Young (UT) Provo, UT
56 3 W 11-29-2003 Nevada Boise, ID
65 7 W 09-04-2004 Idaho Boise, ID
69 3 W 10-29-2004 Hawaii Boise, ID
55 14 W 11-20-2004 Louisiana Tech Boise, ID
56 6 W 11-05-2005 New Mexico St. Boise, ID
70 35 W 11-19-2005 Idaho Boise, ID

But then again, maybe you don't consider 69 to 3, or 62 to 0 running up the score.

Rjones61
December 2nd, 2018, 09:27 PM

Sorry, but without some other contextual clue I'm not sure how else I should have interpreted your statement.

BlueGoldAg
December 2nd, 2018, 09:35 PM
Oops...forgot to reply with quote...did it below...

BlueGoldAg
December 2nd, 2018, 09:37 PM
Luckily I grew up in Boise so I have a pretty good memory of Hawkins. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but don't give me that business that he never ran up the score when he had the opportunity. Let me refresh your memory...

BSU Opponent
45 13 W 09-29-2001 Idaho Pullman, WA
49 7 W 10-27-2001 Nevada Boise, ID
56 6 W 11-17-2001 San Jose St. (CA) Boise, ID
67 21 W 10-18-2002 Fresno St. (CA) Boise, ID
45 8 W 10-26-2002 San Jose St. (CA) San Jose, CA
58 3 W 11-02-2002 Texas-El Paso El Paso, TX
49 7 W 11-09-2002 Rice (TX) Boise, ID
44 7 W 11-23-2002 Nevada Reno, NV
62 0 W 09-06-2003 Idaho St. Boise, ID
45 3 W 10-18-2003 Southern Methodist (TX) Dallas, TX
50 12 W 10-30-2003 Brigham Young (UT) Provo, UT
56 3 W 11-29-2003 Nevada Boise, ID
65 7 W 09-04-2004 Idaho Boise, ID
69 3 W 10-29-2004 Hawaii Boise, ID
55 14 W 11-20-2004 Louisiana Tech Boise, ID
56 6 W 11-05-2005 New Mexico St. Boise, ID
70 35 W 11-19-2005 Idaho Boise, ID

But then again, maybe you don't consider 69 to 3, or 62 to 0 running up the score.

I have no idea about those games...never saw any of them. If he left his starters in and made a conscious decision to run up the score in those games then I think it was not good sportsmanship on his part. If his backups were put in when the game was out of reach and they continued to score then that's fine. When the backups are in, I think they should be allowed to play their hearts out and get as much experience as possible even if score keeps going up. You can't ask players not to play hard. However, I think it's a totally different story when the starters are left in deep into games that are already far out of reach. I hope Hawkins will never do that at Davis.

Anyway, we disagree about how we think Coach Best managed scoring in the Aggie and PSU games but this conversation is not adding anything of substance to the game coming up so I'm waving my white flag. I hope we play better on Saturday than we did in the first game and that the game is a hard fought, clean game that both teams can be proud of their efforts regardless of the outcome.

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2018, 10:15 PM

This.

And we took a knee a few times to end yesterday’s game.

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2018, 10:30 PM
Since I didn't apparently didn't answer your question about why EWU took a knee in the NAU game with a minute to go. It's pure speculation on my part since I didn't see the game, but I would guess it was a smart play by the Eagles in order to prevent a possible turnover and run time off the clock since it was just a one score lead for EWU. What's that have to do with throwing a TD pass in the final seconds when you are up 32 points?

I would be shocked if Hawkins ever had his QB throwing for a TD with 41 seconds left and his team up 32 points and, if he did, I'd be critical of his decision to do so also. There's just no way to spin that kind of decision into good sportsmanship and mutual respect of your opponent. Hawkins will not try for any payback; that's not in his playbook. He just wants his team to respect each opponent, focus themselves and find ways to get better each week.

An example of how Hawkins chooses to make decisions in a blowout game was apparent in the Aggies 49-36 win at Northern Colorado. The Ags were up 42-10 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. At that point Hawkins pulled his starters and played his 3's and 4's and the Ags scored again to make it 49-10 with 9:15 to go in the game. He continued to leave his backups in and UNC went on to score 26 straight points in the next 7 minutes to pull within 13 points. Aggie fans were not happy that Hawkins let the game that close before he brought his starters back in to close out the final two minutes mostly by taking knees to run out the clock.

After the game Hawkins said that the Aggie backup players deserved to play since they practice just as hard as the starters do and that they are as just as important to the team as anyone else. The margin of the score was not as important to him as getting his reserves as much playing time as he could because "they deserved it and we play a lot of people...that's what we do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5aSP8Umw1s

Why don’t you try talking about the upcoming game instead of this same old tired song and dance? You reference one play and running up the score but fail to mention the fact that every other play on that final drive was a run play. We had our 3’s, and in that case, 4th string running back in the game ripping off big runs. What’s he supposed to do, sit on the ball? Those guys want to do well, too. Dan Hawkins certainly didn’t seem upset about it, so I’m not sure what your beef is.

Like I said, I expect the rematch to be a really good game and I doubt the outcome of the first one and some perceived running up the score BS to play much of a factor in the second game.

Red & Black
December 2nd, 2018, 10:32 PM

Agreed. Especially at this point in the playoffs.

BlueGoldAg
December 3rd, 2018, 02:04 AM
Why don’t you try talking about the upcoming game instead of this same old tired song and dance? You reference one play and running up the score but fail to mention the fact that every other play on that final drive was a run play. We had our 3’s, and in that case, 4th string running back in the game ripping off big runs. What’s he supposed to do, sit on the ball? Those guys want to do well, too. Dan Hawkins certainly didn’t seem upset about it, so I’m not sure what your beef is.

Like I said, I expect the rematch to be a really good game and I doubt the outcome of the first one and some perceived running up the score BS to play much of a factor in the second game.

Yikes...I'm afraid I've opened a can of worms. A lot of us Aggie fans felt that the the late TD pass from Barriere was running up to score at the time. That didn't feel good to many of us Aggie fans and I'm sure it didn't feel good to the Aggie team either. Then just yesterday I read the comments that Weber's coach had made about what he thinks and it brought it back up for me.

You're right, Hawkins hasn't said anything about it and he won't make it an issue even if he didn't like it. He'll want his team to just focus on themselves and the game plan.

I don't apologize for how I feel about what happened in the first game and I realize that EWU fans see it differently. I know now that it would have been better not to post anything about how I felt since it was sure to be controversial and for that, I apologize.

I'm looking forward to the game and hope we'll have a better showing than in the first game. We'll be heavy underdogs but who knows...

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2018, 05:00 AM
Good Luck to UC Davis in pulling the upset, too bad the game could not be played at your place, the grass was green and the eye candy was sweet if you know what I mean

kalm
December 3rd, 2018, 05:51 AM
Yikes...I'm afraid I've opened a can of worms. A lot of us Aggie fans felt that the the late TD pass from Barriere was running up to score at the time. That didn't feel good to many of us Aggie fans and I'm sure it didn't feel good to the Aggie team either. Then just yesterday I read the comments that Weber's coach had made about what he thinks and it brought it back up for me.

You're right, Hawkins hasn't said anything about it and he won't make it an issue even if he didn't like it. He'll want his team to just focus on themselves and the game plan.

I don't apologize for how I feel about what happened in the first game and I realize that EWU fans see it differently. I know now that it would have been better not to post anything about how I felt since it was sure to be controversial and for that, I apologize.

I'm looking forward to the game and hope we'll have a better showing than in the first game. We'll be heavy underdogs but who knows...

No worries, man. Most of us thick skinned and just like to argue. It would be pretty damn boring if we all agreed.

As for the game...Gilliam is the one who impresses me the most.

Hawkins is obviously a great coach and great coaches make great adjustments and they motivate. I thought the first game would be tight. I’d be very surprised if this one isn’t.

I expect you guys to take more chances on D and blitz from the outside. It will be a game won on big plays rather than a grind it out type deal.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2018, 06:29 AM
I would be really surprised if this game is not a 3-4 + score blowout for EWU.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2018, 07:31 AM
EWU wins the rematch but will be closer then the first game I think.

clawman
December 3rd, 2018, 07:48 AM

It is actually great in person... but if you never get out of ND you will never know!

clawman
December 3rd, 2018, 08:09 AM
Eastern by two scores, could be 10 or 14 point win. Differences being the Eagles lost two starting safeties and a Sr d-lineman in the cheap shot Portland State game. But on the O side our young QB has a couple more games of experience. If he can make better passes our receivers will have a lot more YAK. I hope Davis tries to get more pressure on EB so when our RB's hit the second level they will run wild.

EdubAlum
December 3rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
I hope we play better on Saturday than we did in the first game and that the game is a hard fought, clean game that both teams can be proud of their efforts regardless of the outcome.

Both agree there. Good luck to you and your boys.

GreatDayToBeAnEagle
December 3rd, 2018, 10:34 AM
EWU by 40.

LEAVE
NO
DOUBT

Red & Black
December 3rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
I don't think we're beating anyone by 40 points at this point in the season, especially not Davis. I'll be happy with any margin of victory, but we could just as easily lose this game if we play like we did in the first half against Nicholls. Davis is a much better team, IMO. I think it will all come down to how well the team responds to missing 5 defensive starters. Still holding out hope that a couple of those guys could return, but I'm not holding my breath.

Red & Black
December 3rd, 2018, 11:26 AM

You're not wrong for bringing it into the discussion...that's what this place is for, after all. I just think there's some context missing, particularly behind loud mouth Jay Hill's comments.

JacksFan40
December 3rd, 2018, 11:42 AM
I would like to see a stat on who wins most often in the rematch when teams face each other the 2nd time in a season - does the original winner sweep, or does the 1st loser win the rematch most often?
It’s tough to beat the same team twice in one season. Other examples would be Libery-New Mexico State played twice this year, first time NMSU won and the second time Liberty won. Last year Auburn smashed Georgia by 30+, come SEC Championship day Georgia returned the favor and won by 20. Not sure what the percentage would be on who wins a rematch though, but I’d think the loser in the first game typically wins the second time. Hell we can use 2016 SDSU-NDSU as another example sadly. Ignore SDSU-NDSU in 2012 and 2014.

Red & Black
December 3rd, 2018, 12:09 PM
It’s tough to beat the same team twice in one season. Other examples would be Libery-New Mexico State played twice this year, first time NMSU won and the second time Liberty won. Last year Auburn smashed Georgia by 30+, come SEC Championship day Georgia returned the favor and won by 20. Not sure what the percentage would be on who wins a rematch though, but I’d think the loser in the first game typically wins the second time. Hell we can use 2016 SDSU-NDSU as another example sadly. Ignore SDSU-NDSU in 2012 and 2014.

This seems like a reasonable argument to make for teams that are basically evenly matched.

ddmann
December 3rd, 2018, 12:11 PM
As far as the 2nd meeting in the playoffs question is concerned both Montana (I think the last was Weber), and EWU (I think it was Cal Poly last) come to mind, and in both cases Montana and EWU won the second game, and both times if I remember correctly were won by a single score. Someone with more time on their hands, or a much better memory for that matter, could likely research and provide more examples within the Big Sky. Traditionally the sky usually had, in any given season, two or maybe three playoff caliber teams. That has changed the last four or five years the top two or three teams do not have it as easy as they used to. All that said, I believe EWU will win this one by two scores so 10 - 14. I do think this will be much tougher win second time around which makes me wonder what the over / under will be for this game.

BlueGoldAg
December 3rd, 2018, 02:48 PM
No worries, man. Most of us thick skinned and just like to argue. It would be pretty damn boring if we all agreed.

As for the game...Gilliam is the one who impresses me the most.

Hawkins is obviously a great coach and great coaches make great adjustments and they motivate. I thought the first game would be tight. I’d be very surprised if this one isn’t.

I expect you guys to take more chances on D and blitz from the outside. It will be a game won on big plays rather than a grind it out type deal.

Thanks for your comment, kalm. I realized quickly that I am not "thick skinned" enough to engage in controversy here and most definitely do not like to argue so I respectively decided to back out of the conversation.

I never like it when a thread starts to go south and the real essence of the main topic begins to get lost. It just seems to me that there's too much intolerance just about everywhere you look nowadays and, although this conversation never descended into overt, personal rudeness and disrespect, it still didn't feel good to me and I didn't want to be the one to fan any flames.

Ulonzo Gilliam has been a pleasant surprise for us this year. He has good speed and can make people miss in space with a great hop step and sharp cuts and the best part is that he's only a freshman. We saw what Tehran Thomas was capable of last year as a freshman. He has good size and great speed with the ability to break tackles and plow ahead with tacklers hanging on. Two years ago we had a great RB by the name of Josh Kelley who was electrifying but left after his freshman year and walked onto the team at UCLA. He broke some records this year for the Bruins so having Gilliam and Thomas playing the way they are now takes away some of the disappointment we felt when Kelley left the team.

The biggest challenge for us against most any of the better playoff teams is how well we can compete in the trenches. We're young on the O and D lines and we don't have overwhelming size. UNI was a big test for us and we did "well enough" to protect Maier in the first half but the Panthers put a lot of pressure on him in the second half and we appeared to wear down.

Our D line has reported to be banged up and we were certainly a bend don't break tyoe defense against UNI. We made the stops when they were really needed but gave up a lot of yards between the 20's. On a positive note, however, our LB's and DB's were outstanding. They were as good as I have seen all year.

UNI's QB wasn't mobile like Barriere is. EWU just has so many weapons on offense. I'm not sure we will be able to put much pressure on Barriere and, if and when we can, he's tough to contain. You guys are a defensive coordinators nightmare on offense and I don't think we can win a shootout. We'll have to create a couple of turnovers, take care of the ball ourselves and play the game of our lives to keep this one close.

Hawkins is a great coach. He's a very philosophical guy who, as an ex-Aggie, bleeds Aggie Pride. He's been around the block as a coach with some great success at Boise and great disappointment at Colorado. When asked why he returned to Davis he said that he got his "baptism of excellence" here as a player under our legendary D2 coach, Jim Sochor, and that, at this stage of his life, "its the right place, the right time and the right fit." In just two years at the helm of the Aggies he has elevated the program to where we are now and Aggie football is relevant again. Aggie fans couldn't be happier.

Bison56
December 3rd, 2018, 03:02 PM
EWU by 40.

LEAVE
NO
DOUBT

No "eat your hat" wagers?

Grizalltheway
December 3rd, 2018, 03:04 PM
As far as the 2nd meeting in the playoffs question is concerned both Montana (I think the last was Weber), and EWU (I think it was Cal Poly last) come to mind, and in both cases Montana and EWU won the second game, and both times if I remember correctly were won by a single score. Someone with more time on their hands, or a much better memory for that matter, could likely research and provide more examples within the Big Sky. Traditionally the sky usually had, in any given season, two or maybe three playoff caliber teams. That has changed the last four or five years the top two or three teams do not have it as easy as they used to. All that said, I believe EWU will win this one by two scores so 10 - 14. I do think this will be much tougher win second time around which makes me wonder what the over / under will be for this game.

We played EWU in the playoffs in '14 and lost, after losing the regular season meeting.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2018, 03:15 PM

We know all about seeing teams again in the SOCON.

15 The Citadel had to see Charleston Southern twice (L 20-33, L 6-14)
16 The Citadel had to see Wofford twice (W 24-21, L 3-17)
17 The benchmark, Furman had to see Wofford (L 23-24) and Elon (L 31-34) to start the season and again to end the season Elon (W 28-27) and Wofford (L 10-28)

One is bad enough, but 2 in the same season.... Gotta hate it. But it is what it is. Better to see a team twice than to be watching from home.

kalm
December 3rd, 2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks for your comment, kalm. I realized quickly that I am not "thick skinned" enough to engage in controversy here and most definitely do not like to argue so I respectively decided to back out of the conversation.

I never like it when a thread starts to go south and the real essence of the main topic begins to get lost. It just seems to me that there's too much intolerance just about everywhere you look nowadays and, although this conversation never descended into overt, personal rudeness and disrespect, it still didn't feel good to me and I didn't want to be the one to fan any flames.

Ulonzo Gilliam has been a pleasant surprise for us this year. He has good speed and can make people miss in space with a great hop step and sharp cuts and the best part is that he's only a freshman. We saw what Tehran Thomas was capable of last year as a freshman. He has good size and great speed with the ability to break tackles and plow ahead with tacklers hanging on. Two years ago we had a great RB by the name of Josh Kelley who was electrifying but left after his freshman year and walked onto the team at UCLA. He broke some records this year for the Bruins so having Gilliam and Thomas playing the way they are now takes away some of the disappointment we felt when Kelley left the team.

The biggest challenge for us against most any of the better playoff teams is how well we can compete in the trenches. We're young on the O and D lines and we don't have overwhelming size. UNI was a big test for us and we did "well enough" to protect Maier in the first half but the Panthers put a lot of pressure on him in the second half and we appeared to wear down.

Our D line has reported to be banged up and we were certainly a bend don't break tyoe defense against UNI. We made the stops when they were really needed but gave up a lot of yards between the 20's. On a positive note, however, our LB's and DB's were outstanding. They were as good as I have seen all year.

UNI's QB wasn't mobile like Barriere is. EWU just has so many weapons on offense. I'm not sure we will be able to put much pressure on Barriere and, if and when we can, he's tough to contain. You guys are a defensive coordinators nightmare on offense and I don't think we can win a shootout. We'll have to create a couple of turnovers, take care of the ball ourselves and play the game of our lives to keep this one close.

Hawkins is a great coach. He's a very philosophical guy who, as an ex-Aggie, bleeds Aggie Pride. He's been around the block as a coach with some great success at Boise and great disappointment at Colorado. When asked why he returned to Davis he said that he got his "baptism of excellence" here as a player under our legendary D2 coach, Jim Sochor, and that, at this stage of his life, "its the right place, the right time and the right fit." In just two years at the helm of the Aggies he has elevated the program to where we are now and Aggie football is relevant again. Aggie fans couldn't be happier.

You've been on my radar since you beat Stanford (was it 2006?). Manzanares was also a very solid back for you guys. Davis has the right coach, a hot bed of recruiting in the backyard, and the money to become an FCS powerhouse. I'd like to see that happen.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2018, 03:27 PM
You've been on my radar since you beat Stanford (was it 2006?). Manzanares was also a very solid back for you guys. Davis has the right coach, a hot bed of recruiting in the backyard, and the money to become an FCS powerhouse. I'd like to see that happen.

2005, 20-17

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 03:37 PM
Here's an expanded look at the teams stats comparison and the corresponding national ranks for the teams in this matchup.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4866/45253897685_fb93acfcd1_b.jpg

Outsider1
December 3rd, 2018, 04:23 PM
Thanks again Professor, love your stat comparisons!

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2018, 04:29 PM

.......HE'LL BE LEAVIN'....FO' LA-LA LAND........NEXT YEAR....IFIN' CHIP....CAIN'T EXCITE DUH BRUINS......xwavex......BRAWK!

kalm
December 3rd, 2018, 07:46 PM
.......HE'LL BE LEAVIN'....FO' LA-LA LAND........NEXT YEAR....IFIN' CHIP....CAIN'T EXCITE DUH BRUINS......xwavex......BRAWK!

UCLA won’t turn to an FCS coach unless he’s won several chippers.

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2018, 07:53 PM

Those arent jokes. Fact. Especially the one about the snow.

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2018, 08:27 PM
UCLA won’t turn to an FCS coach unless he’s won several chippers.

.....WHAA IFIN'....HE TAKES DOWN.....DUH BIZONSSSSSS.......DERE'LL BE...UH NEW CHAPTER....IN DUH BIBLE.........BRAWK!

BlueGoldAg
December 3rd, 2018, 08:33 PM
.....WHAA IFIN'....HE TAKES DOWN.....DUH BIZONSSSSSS.......DERE'LL BE...UH NEW CHAPTER....IN DUH BIBLE.........BRAWK!

Hahaha...now that's really funny...good one MR. CHICKEN!

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2018, 08:33 PM

xbowx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 4th, 2018, 12:56 AM
Here's an expanded look at the teams stats comparison and the corresponding national ranks for the teams in this matchup.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4866/45253897685_fb93acfcd1_b.jpg

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29661&stc=1

xwhistlex

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2018, 12:58 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29661&stc=1

xwhistlex

The only thing more offensive than a Big Sky defense is your field. ZING! POW! BA DUM TISS!

Screamin_Eagle174
December 4th, 2018, 01:12 AM

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/262607472/college-football-conference-title-game-rematch

While these stats are purely from FBS rematches in the Conference Championship game, this dynamic is pretty interesting. I might have to see what FCS numbers I can come up with.

The Clifnotes:

Of 33 FBS Conference Championship Game rematches from the regular season thru 2017, 20 times (61%) the regular season winner swept the two-game series. In 11 of the 20 sweeps, the point differential from game one to game two was 9 points or less.
Of the remaining 13 games where the losing team from game one got revenge in game two, 11 of the teams only lost by one possession (8 points or less) during the regular season. Nine of the 13 won the rematch by at least 11 points.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 4th, 2018, 01:16 AM
The only thing more offensive than a Big Sky defense is your field. ZING! POW! BA DUM TISS!

You missed the reference, but I'll play.

So where would Bill Fette's decision making fall on your list? xscanx

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2018, 01:43 AM
You missed the reference, but I'll play.

So where would Bill Fette's decision making fall on your list? xscanx

Forgotten when NDSU passes Georgia Southern with 7.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2018, 05:11 AM

Yep, against a Weber State team.....xnodx

kalm
December 4th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Those arent jokes. Fact. Especially the one about the snow.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sites/default/files/styles/16x9_620/public/fieldimages/32/1024/1212-bison.jpg?itok=AsI8s2Sr

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 09:22 AM
SOCON officiating crew in this one according to refstripes (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=501c0d4c9d695b143e2f38b0a13d91 f0&topic=14211.msg143754#msg143754). So far in the playoffs SOCON crews have worked the Duquesne/Towson game and the JMU/Colgate game. Those were two separate crews that worked those games but one of them will get their 2nd playoff assignment in this one.

SochorField
December 4th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Its tough for ANY team to go up to Cheney and win right now.

Its going to take some wizardry from Hawkins to get this team in the right mindset to go out there expecting to win. I think he can do it.

The most important thing Davis has going for it is its coaching staff.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 12:25 PM
SOCON officiating crew in this one according to refstripes (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=501c0d4c9d695b143e2f38b0a13d91 f0&topic=14211.msg143754#msg143754). So far in the playoffs SOCON crews have worked the Duquesne/Towson game and the JMU/Colgate game. Those were two separate crews that worked those games but one of them will get their 2nd playoff assignment in this one.

.....DID ANYONE....GET DUH MEAC ZEEBS???...........AWK!

AggiePride
December 4th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Tough place to play this time of year, but we will be ready!

AggieFinn
December 4th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Big effort among UC Davis alumni to get the Cal Aggie Marching Band-Uh! in Cheney for Saturday.

BlueGoldAg
December 4th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Here's a link to an excellent interview with Aggie OC, Tim Plough, about the UNI game and the upcoming rematch with EWU:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-5th5z-a0f04a

agalum
December 4th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Hopefully they can distinguish between a FG that is between the sticks and one that is wide, lol.

Russ B
December 4th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Big effort among UC Davis alumni to get the Cal Aggie Marching Band-Uh! in Cheney for Saturday.

Success! A portion of the band will be making the trip. :)

Thumper 76
December 4th, 2018, 11:37 PM

https://i.imgur.com/pyVqRq2.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamin_Eagle174
December 5th, 2018, 01:55 AM
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/262607472/college-football-conference-title-game-rematch

While these stats are purely from FBS rematches in the Conference Championship game, this dynamic is pretty interesting. I might have to see what FCS numbers I can come up with.

The Clifnotes:

Of 33 FBS Conference Championship Game rematches from the regular season thru 2017, 20 times (61%) the regular season winner swept the two-game series. In 11 of the 20 sweeps, the point differential from game one to game two was 9 points or less.
Of the remaining 13 games where the losing team from game one got revenge in game two, 11 of the teams only lost by one possession (8 points or less) during the regular season. Nine of the 13 won the rematch by at least 11 points.

From 2003-2017:

Team 1
Team 2
Conference
Year
Games Between
Game 1
Game 1 MoV
Game 2
Game 2 MoV
Result

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
MVFC
19-17 SDSU
36-10 NDSU
Revenge

Georgia Southern
Wofford
SoCon
33-31 WC
23-20 GSU
Revenge

Wofford
The Citadel
SoCon
24-21 (OT) CIT
17-3 WC
Revenge

North Dakota State
Montana
OOC
38-35 UM
37-6 NDSU
Revenge

Appalachian State
Furman
SoCon
34-31 FU
29-23 ASU
Revenge

William & Mary
Delaware
CAA
31-28 UD
44-38 (2OT)
Revenge

James Madison
William & Mary
CAA
27-24 W&M
48-34 JMU
Revenge

Villanova
New Hampshire
CAA
28-24 UNH
46-7 VU
Revenge

Illinois State
Northern Iowa
MVFC
42-28 UNI
41-21 ISU
Revenge

Weber State
Southern Utah
BSC
32-16 SUU
30-13 WSU
Revenge

Sam Houston State
McNeese State
SLC
27-10 MSU
34-29 SHSU
Revenge

Montana
Weber State
BSC
45-28 WSU
24-13 UM
Revenge

South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
MVFC
38-18 UNI
37-22 SDSU
Revenge

Avg.
Avg.

Team 1
Team 2
Conference
Year
Games Between
Game 1
Game 1 MoV
Game 2
Game 2 MoV
Result

Wofford
Furman
SoCon
24-23 WC
28-10 WC
Sweep

James Madison
New Hampshire
CAA
42-39 JMU
55-22 JMU
Sweep

North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
MVFC
31-28 NDSU
23-13 NDSU
Sweep

Richmond
William & Mary
CAA
20-9 UR
48-13 UR
Sweep

Illinois State
Western Illinois
MVFC
48-28 ISU
36-19 ISU
Sweep

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
MVFC
37-17 NDSU
27-24 NDSU
Sweep

Eastern Washington
Montana
BSC
36-26 EWU
37-20 EWU
Sweep

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
MVFC
20-17 NDSU
28-3 NDSU
Sweep

Villanova
William & Mary
CAA
28-17 VU
14-13 VU
Sweep

James Madison
Villanova
CAA
23-19 JMU
31-27 JMU
Sweep

Massachusetts
New Hampshire
CAA
28-20 UMass
24-17 UMass
Sweep

Youngstown State
Illinois State
MVFC
27-13 YSU
28-21 YSU
Sweep

Avg.
Avg.

Unless I missed a few OOC matchups (wasn't about to go through the season schedules of about half of each year's field looking at OOC), there were no regular season rematches in: 2003, 2007 (16 teams), 2011 (20 teams), and 2013 (24 teams).
Pretty even split: 13 of 25 (52%) that lost in the regular season got revenge in the playoffs.
Regardless of revenge or sweep, the average margin of victory increased in the rematch; by 7 points for teams getting revenge, 5 points for teams sweeping.
Ten of the 13 teams getting revenge in the playoffs won by more than they lost by in the regular season.
Prior to this year, no team had lost by more than 20 in the regular season.
No way Davis beats EWU by more than 39.
Bill Fette.

MTfan4life
December 5th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Unless I missed a few OOC matchups (wasn't about to go through the season schedules of about half of each year's field looking at OOC), there were no regular season rematches in: 2003, 2007 (16 teams), 2011 (20 teams), and 2013 (24 teams).

Turns out there were 3 rematches in 2013, and they were all same conference ones, haha.

In 2013, Maine went to New Hampshire in their season finale and lost 24-3, then two weeks later, they hosted UNH and lost 41-27.

In 2013, Eastern Illinois beat Tennessee State 34-16 during the season and 51-10 in the postseason.

In 2013, Southeastern Louisiana beat Sam Houston State 34-21 in the regular season, and 30-29 in the postseason.

Here are some non-conference rematch omissions with three of them being in the revenge category:

In 2015, Jacksonville State beat Chattanooga in their opening game 23-20 and then 41-35 (OT) in the second round of the playoffs.

In 2015, Colgate lost to New Hampshire in the regular season 26-8 and then beat them in the first round of the playoffs 27-20.

In 2015, Charleston Southern beat The Citadel 33-20 in the regular season and 14-6 in their postseason rematch. (There were 8 rematches in 2015 alone)

In 2005, Montana beat Cal Poly 36-27 during the regular season, and Cal Poly beat Montana 35-21 in the postseason.

In 2004, Sam Houston State beat Montana 41-29 in the regular season, and Montana beat SHSU 34-13 in the postseason.

That's what I can recall, so far. I'll keep looking.

cx500d
December 5th, 2018, 10:43 AM
From 2003-2017:

Team 1
Team 2
Conference
Year
Games Between
Game 1
Game 1 MoV
Game 2
Game 2 MoV
Result

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
MVFC
19-17 SDSU
36-10 NDSU
Revenge

Georgia Southern
Wofford
SoCon
33-31 WC
23-20 GSU
Revenge

Wofford
The Citadel
SoCon
24-21 (OT) CIT
17-3 WC
Revenge

North Dakota State
Montana
OOC
38-35 UM
37-6 NDSU
Revenge

Appalachian State
Furman
SoCon
34-31 FU
29-23 ASU
Revenge

William & Mary
Delaware
CAA
31-28 UD
44-38 (2OT)
Revenge

James Madison
William & Mary
CAA
27-24 W&M
48-34 JMU
Revenge

Villanova
New Hampshire
CAA
28-24 UNH
46-7 VU
Revenge

Illinois State
Northern Iowa
MVFC
42-28 UNI
41-21 ISU
Revenge

Weber State
Southern Utah
BSC
32-16 SUU
30-13 WSU
Revenge

Sam Houston State
McNeese State
SLC
27-10 MSU
34-29 SHSU
Revenge

Montana
Weber State
BSC
45-28 WSU
24-13 UM
Revenge

South Dakota State
Northern Iowa
MVFC
38-18 UNI
37-22 SDSU
Revenge

Avg.
Avg.

Team 1
Team 2
Conference
Year
Games Between
Game 1
Game 1 MoV
Game 2
Game 2 MoV
Result

Wofford
Furman
SoCon
24-23 WC
28-10 WC
Sweep

James Madison
New Hampshire
CAA
42-39 JMU
55-22 JMU
Sweep

North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
MVFC
31-28 NDSU
23-13 NDSU
Sweep

Richmond
William & Mary
CAA
20-9 UR
48-13 UR
Sweep

Illinois State
Western Illinois
MVFC
48-28 ISU
36-19 ISU
Sweep

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
MVFC
37-17 NDSU
27-24 NDSU
Sweep

Eastern Washington
Montana
BSC
36-26 EWU
37-20 EWU
Sweep

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
MVFC
20-17 NDSU
28-3 NDSU
Sweep

Villanova
William & Mary
CAA
28-17 VU
14-13 VU
Sweep

James Madison
Villanova
CAA
23-19 JMU
31-27 JMU
Sweep

Massachusetts
New Hampshire
CAA
28-20 UMass
24-17 UMass
Sweep

Youngstown State
Illinois State
MVFC
27-13 YSU
28-21 YSU
Sweep

Avg.
Avg.

Pretty even split: 13 of 25 (52%) that lost in the regular season got revenge in the playoffs.
Regardless of revenge or sweep, the average margin of victory increased in the rematch; by 7 points for teams getting revenge, 5 points for teams sweeping.
Ten of the 13 teams getting revenge in the playoffs won by more than they lost by in the regular season.
Prior to this year, no team had lost by more than 20 in the regular season.
No way Davis beats EWU by more than 39.
Bill Fette.

Good list and stats. Wasn’t as dramatic as I thought.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 5th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Turns out there were 3 rematches in 2013, and they were all same conference ones, haha.

In 2013, Maine went to New Hampshire in their season finale and lost 24-3, then two weeks later, they hosted UNH and lost 41-27.

In 2013, Eastern Illinois beat Tennessee State 34-16 during the season and 51-10 in the postseason.

In 2013, Southeastern Louisiana beat Sam Houston State 34-21 in the regular season, and 30-29 in the postseason.

Here are some non-conference rematch omissions with three of them being in the revenge category:

In 2015, Jacksonville State beat Chattanooga in their opening game 23-20 and then 41-35 (OT) in the second round of the playoffs.

In 2015, Colgate lost to New Hampshire in the regular season 26-8 and then beat them in the first round of the playoffs 27-20.

In 2015, Charleston Southern beat The Citadel 33-20 in the regular season and 14-6 in their postseason rematch. (There were 8 rematches in 2015 alone)

In 2005, Montana beat Cal Poly 36-27 during the regular season, and Cal Poly beat Montana 35-21 in the postseason.

In 2004, Sam Houston State beat Montana 41-29 in the regular season, and Montana beat SHSU 34-13 in the postseason.

That's what I can recall, so far. I'll keep looking.

Haha, thanks. Guess that's what happens when you data-mine while tired and buzzed.

SochorField
December 5th, 2018, 01:18 PM
A couple things I've heard:
EWU students will be out on break.
No band - EWU trying to get a band of local volunteers together to represent.

I've never seen a game at Roos, but the students and band being absent has to favor the Ags. Better to play in the freezing quiet than the freezing loud. Is Roos generally a loud stadium? Seems tough with the track.

kalm
December 5th, 2018, 01:24 PM
A couple things I've heard:
EWU students will be out on break.
No band - EWU trying to get a band of local volunteers together to represent.

I've never seen a game at Roos, but the students and band being absent has to favor the Ags. Better to play in the freezing quiet than the freezing loud. Is Roos generally a loud stadium? Seems tough with the track.

No. It’s not a loud stadium regardless and all of this is the way it’s been for every quarterfinal game we’ve hosted.

Iridebikes
December 5th, 2018, 02:27 PM
No. It’s not a loud stadium regardless and all of this is the way it’s been for every quarterfinal game we’ve hosted.

KALM is right that its nothing new not having band or students on campus. Heck, we're on the quarter system and usually don't have students for our first home game or two in September.

That being said, I did hear an interview with AD Hickey on Monday. She stated there that there will be a student band and that the dorms and food service are staying open to accomodate any students that want to hang around until Sunday. There also doing a special fund raiser to provide free tickets the students (Nobody gets into a NCAA run playoff game with out paying homage to the organizer).

quadshock
December 6th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Maybe the Ags should paint the practice field in preparation as well, just in case xlolx

Grizzlies82
December 7th, 2018, 12:45 AM
Realize Eastern beat Davis handily already. None the less, UC Davis wins this rematch. Should be a very good game rather than the blowout many are predicting.

SochorField
December 7th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Realize Eastern beat Davis handily already. None the less, UC Davis wins this rematch. Should be a very good game rather than the blowout many are predicting.

Hope you are right.....but man, its tough to believe it. Tough place to play.

Southern Bison
December 8th, 2018, 03:05 PM
ESPN using all of their brilliance...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181208/41d7e1ea51638ad4f40e9925f308e815.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 03:08 PM
ESPN using all of their brilliance...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181208/41d7e1ea51638ad4f40e9925f308e815.jpg

Saw that too, they could at least try. Last night they had Colgate playing at JMU today, and said the Fighting Bison today.

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 03:14 PM
At least the UC Davis uniform looks good on the red field.....

KPSUL
December 8th, 2018, 03:14 PM

I didn't Evergreen U had an FCS football team.

- - - Updated - - -

All red uniforms on a red field, really ?

kdinva
December 8th, 2018, 03:20 PM

guarantee you ESPN won't mess up the Celebration Bowl logos.....

kdinva
December 8th, 2018, 03:26 PM
EWU gets an interception, drives to the UCD 11, fail on 4th and 1......

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Just flipped over from the KSU game. Noticed this screw up right away when I went to click on the link....morons...

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 03:52 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Having that combination has made me root for UC Davis.

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Having a red field makes me root for UCD.

aggiemba
December 8th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Aggies hanging in after a bit of a shaky start.

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Great play

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Just flipped over from the KSU game. Noticed this screw up right away when I went to click on the link....morons...

probably a little message about what color a football field should be

aggiemba
December 8th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Davis now up by a TD! Go Ags.

caribbeanhen
same play as last TD

Go Lehigh TU owl
UCD ground game doing work...

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Rooting for UC Davis.

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2018, 04:07 PM
UCD looks like the better team.

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 04:09 PM
OMG Espn putting Eastern Michigan’s logo on the game instead of EWU

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 04:10 PM
I thought there was a NCAA rule about wearing jerseys the same color as your field?

Outsider1
EWU isn't going to let 7 points get to them. This is gong to be a hard fought game.

mmiller_34
I thought there was a NCAA rule about wearing jerseys the same color as your field?

All red uniforms on that horrendous turf should be illegal

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 04:13 PM
All red uniforms on that horrendous turf should be illegal

I thought it was because of a Boise St game a few years ago.

This game is gonna be defense optional, isnt it?

mmiller_34
December 8th, 2018, 04:15 PM
I thought it was because of a Boise St game a few years ago.

This game is gonna be defense optional, isnt it?

INT there though.

SoDakSA
December 8th, 2018, 04:16 PM
INT there though.

I'm really good at causing the opposite of what I say to happen

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 04:16 PM
EWU defense stepped up with that interception.

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I just hope UCD can tighten their defense. I don't know how physical they can play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2018, 04:24 PM
UCD's RB's helmet really smacked off the turf

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Hope the injury isn't too bad.

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Great read by EWU and gutsy move by UCD. I think I would have went for the 3 and gone into the half with the 3 point lead.

ElCid
December 8th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Really bad decision to not get 3 there.

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Really bad decision to not get 3 there.

I can appreciate the mentality, but the play selection was ridiculous.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2018, 04:57 PM
That INT should be reversed....

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Davis is gashing that defense with the run!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2018, 05:01 PM
They upheld the INT. UCD driving again....

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Beautiful pass play for Davis for the TD

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Holy **** are they going to review every freaking play?

Outsider1
December 8th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Amazing catch...

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Aggies score a TD on this drive and this game is over!

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Nice 3rd down conversion on a big pass play. Liking this passing game of the aggies.

stevdock
December 8th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Holy **** are they going to review every freaking play?

But yet they didn't even look at that pass play by UC Davis?? Sure looked like a catch to me. Just like the Freeman catch during the NDSU game.

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Well this one is going to go down to the wire.

kdinva
December 8th, 2018, 05:46 PM
after lots of punts, EWU drives and scores, ties it at 21.........10:04 remaining.

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Looks like EWU wants this one more! EWU TD and in front.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2018, 06:01 PM
3rd and 9 and you run it Davis?

xeyebrowx

EWU probably scores or runs out the clock now.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like EWU wants this one more! EWU TD and in front.

Yep!

POD Knows
December 8th, 2018, 06:04 PM
3rd and 9 and you run it Davis?

xeyebrowx

EWU probably scores or runs out the clock now.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep!Yea. Really interesting play calling by Davis.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Was hoping to see the Semi on green grass, still have a chance if Davis can get it back

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Never underestimate EW blowing a playoff game

- - - Updated - - -

xlolx is that creamin beagle I hear yelling at the refs?

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2018, 06:09 PM
What a mess.

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Nick Nolte look a like right there

Prime Power
What exactly are they reviewing here??? It was a penalty....

Hammersmith
If it's kick catch interference, what does it matter who touched the ball first?

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 06:12 PM
ball should be downed when it hit the E W player

Grizalltheway
These refs better hit the road fast after this game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
They got it right..in a round about way....

Bisonwinagn
December 8th, 2018, 06:14 PM
This is the worst weekend of officiating I've ever seen in FCS. GOOD God these guys suck

BisonBacker
December 8th, 2018, 06:15 PM
UC Davis isn't going away easy.

Prime Power
December 8th, 2018, 06:15 PM
They got it right..in a round about way....

If they would have given the ball to EWU, then they all should never ref a game again...it was kick catch interference....that automatically gives the ball to the receiving team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2018, 06:18 PM
What a gusty call by Hawkins!!!!

Prime Power
Oh my....wowza!!!

BisonBacker
Holy **** what a gutsy call. UC Davis goes for 2 and gets it to go ahead.

caribbeanhen
oh what a gutzy call,

Bison Fan in NW MN
Wow...2 pt conversion.

Great call

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Wow that was gutsy

BisonFan02
December 8th, 2018, 06:20 PM
I love it......UCD HC's balls are bursting through his pants.

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Oh UC Davis... Why oh why.....

NDSUtk
December 8th, 2018, 06:21 PM
This 4th quarter is quite entertaining!

Bison56
I love it......UCD HC's balls are bursting through his pants.

I have no idea how he walks

Bison Fan in NW MN
Davis needs some tackling drills

GoBlueHens83
December 8th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Well, that was easy for EWU.

BisonBacker
Wow no defense

Bison56
Big Sky D

caribbeanhen
20 is a beast

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2018, 06:23 PM
UCD offered very little resistance on that drive....yikes!!

BisonFan02
UCD Defense could have borrowed his balls for a few mins.

BisonFan02
EWU scored too quick. :D

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Dumb play by the QB, just throw it away

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2018, 06:26 PM
gotta do the doss toss

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Congrats EWU!!

Maine-EWU seems like a helluva matchup....

Bison56
December 8th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Couldn't even block 3 guys to give the QB a chance.xeyebrowx

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Congrats ewu on the comeback....

Good season UCD, yours membership in the Crappsville Bar is now active and complimentary

SeattleBobcat
Couldn't even block 3 guys to give the QB a chance.xeyebrowx

I think UCD blew its load on that 2pt conversion.

Bisonator
Congrats to the Eagles!

Rjones61
December 8th, 2018, 06:30 PM
LEAVE A LITTLE DOUBT

dudeitsaid
December 8th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Holy Smokes....what an ending. Congrats to the Aggies, I know it sucks to lose a heartbreaker like that (we are very, very familiar with the feeling), but you guys are a tremendous team on the rise. What a hell of a season! And what a game!

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Coach Best, grow a pair and quit balling

Red & Black
December 8th, 2018, 06:38 PM

Seriously?

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats Aggies on an unprecedented season! Go Eags!

Schism55
December 8th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Helluva game, wild ending!
Hope Davis can keep the hawk around, dude can coach.

dudeitsaid
December 8th, 2018, 06:43 PM

Is that why there are no teams with green uniforms?

xrotatehx

Gil Dobie
December 8th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Action packed game to watch, great finish.

kdinva
December 8th, 2018, 07:00 PM
last 9 minutes was entertaining, ..........whole game was fun.....

veinup
December 8th, 2018, 07:01 PM

fully expected to see somebody say this lol

Iridebikes
December 8th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Was at the game. Entertaining as hell. This is why FCS is so good. Playoffs mean something. Great season by UCD. They played their rear ends off today!!!

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Was at the game. Entertaining as hell. This is why FCS is so good. Playoffs mean something. Great season by UCD. They played their rear ends off today!!!
There was a shot of some hotties in the stands after UCD makes the 2 pt conversion Looking all dejected like they lost...that was some baller moves by the ewu qb and rb to score in like no time...they should have went back to that pair after that last td to see if their outlook on the game changed.

POD Knows
December 8th, 2018, 07:25 PM
There was a shot of some hotties in the stands after UCD makes the 2 pt conversion Looking all dejected like they lost...that was some baller moves by the ewu qb and rb to score in like no time...they should have went back to that pair after that last td to see if their outlook on the game changed.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29702&stc=1

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 07:28 PM

yep, that’s one of them

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 07:28 PM

yep, that’s one of them

kalm
December 9th, 2018, 06:46 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I prefer the all blacks or black uni’s with red helmets myself. But words can’t express how beautiful that turf looked yesterday with the frost covered trees and subdued winter sky framing it all in. Flat out gorgeous!

Hats off to Davis who played well on both sides of the ball. Hope they continue to shine. It’s nice to watch a game where both offense AND defense make plays.

MR. CHICKEN
December 9th, 2018, 07:50 AM

........LAST NIGHT........AH DREAMED.......AH BOUGHT HER GIRLFRIEND....http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29705&stc=1........UH UMBRELLAH DRINK......xsighx......BRAWK!

TheKingpin28
December 9th, 2018, 10:01 AM

Where's BigDGarciaFan when you need him!?!?!?!?!?

AggieFinn
December 9th, 2018, 12:52 PM
It's a shame they can't get all 4 quarterfinal games on ESPN or ESPN2... they missed the best game of the week outside of Army-Navy...it's cool though, big time college hoops is a hot item too. That Seton Hall game was crazy...

Screamin_Eagle174
December 9th, 2018, 05:52 PM

Dude's been at EWU 20 years as a player and coach, and has a lot of passion for his school and players; nothing wrong with that. EWU players and commits don't have a problem with it either, so why are you so insecure?

https://twitter.com/kylebryant69/status/1071828373528207361

https://twitter.com/Wyatt_Musser55/status/1071720785541132288

https://twitter.com/TerencetheGrady/status/1071607544802553856

https://twitter.com/CoachDBartel/status/1071611587759300608

kalm
December 10th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Dude's been at EWU 20 years as a player and coach, and has a lot of passion for his school and players; nothing wrong with that. EWU players and commits don't have a problem with it either, so why are you so insecure?

https://twitter.com/CoachDBartel/status/1071611587759300608

Cx500d was fetteshized as a young man.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2018, 09:49 AM

https://twitter.com/CoachDBartel/status/1071611587759300608"Women and children can be weak, but not men" Don Vito Corleone.

Actually, he seems like a pretty good coach and I am sure that any fun being poked at him is not serious or not. Coaches aren't allowed to cry at NDSU, it is in their contracts, it upsets the Nordic sensibilities. xlolx

SochorField
December 10th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Fantastic football game.
Proud of my Alma Mater.

I hope EWU wins the National Championship.

Oh...and look out for UC Davis. Lots of momentum.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 10th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Haven't been on since the game but wow what a great game by both schools. Such a good watch.

Very impressive season UCD. Onward and upward Eagles.

uni88
December 11th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Crapsville Bar is Open (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?219428-2018-Crappsville-Bar)

Owls, Aggies, Wildcats and Raiders are welcome ...

For you younguns, the Crappsville Bar and Grill was a fine AGS tradition where the playoff losers would console themselves with a round or two.

Rules of Crappsville: if your team is one of the four left--- don't post! The curse of Cap'n Cat will be upon you!

This week, we have a barstool and plenty of room for the fans of Kennesaw State, UC Davis, Weber State and Colgate.

Come on through the door and drown your sorrows and tell us what you are drinking.xdrunkyx

RootinFerDukes
January 1st, 2019, 11:15 AM
Sorry if it was mentioned in this thread but I see the "C-A" logo for UC Davis is a throwback logo. I'm assuming it stands for California Aggies?

ngineer
January 1st, 2019, 09:52 PM
Not looking forward to having to play the Aggies next September, though I am looking forward to the trip!

SochorField
January 2nd, 2019, 03:35 PM
Sorry if it was mentioned in this thread but I see the "C-A" logo for UC Davis is a throwback logo. I'm assuming it stands for California Aggies?

Yep. Cal Aggies. Older (and more popular) version of that C-horse thing...

From the Too Much Info Dept:
http://marketingtoolbox.ucdavis.edu/local_resources/images/logos/UCDavis_Ath_SG.png

RootinFerDukes
January 2nd, 2019, 03:42 PM
Is if common for the non-Berkeley campuses to still refer to themselves as Cal? I'm sure that irks some Cal fans.

SochorField
January 2nd, 2019, 04:16 PM
The "Cal Aggies" is kinda cool as a nickname.....but "Cal-Davis" is not.

No UC campuses (except Berkeley) refer to themselves as "Cal-XXXX."