PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinal: #1-North Dakota State vs. #8-Colgate

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheValleyRaider
December 1st, 2018, 06:17 PM
The Raiders and the Bison meet in Fargo

Bisonator
December 1st, 2018, 06:34 PM
Nice to see another new team come to Fargo. Looking forward to the game. Raiders have a very good defense but I don't think that'll be enough to keep them in this one.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2018, 06:39 PM
Few quick thoughts
- Colgate's DL is not the same without Rohr. I have no idea why JMU did not try to run up the middle more. When they did they had success. NDSU will exploit this.
- Colgate is one of the best tackling team you'll see. They rally to the ball incredibly well. The ability to control the edges is text book. Wheeler was a monster against JMU
- Breneman must play better that he showed today. He's one of those rare throwers that's better outside of the pocket. He made some excellent passes rolling out. He looks extremely uncomfortable in the pocket trying to read defenses.

X-Factor
December 1st, 2018, 06:51 PM
Yep, agree on Colgate tackling well. It took a bit to adjust to JMUs speed, but once they did they really locked down well

Pard4Life
December 1st, 2018, 06:55 PM
Who does NDSU play after Colgate? Start making plans.

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2018, 07:03 PM
Who does NDSU play after Colgate? Start making plans.

Winner of UNH-Lafayette!!

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
December 1st, 2018, 07:04 PM
Colgate was a better team than JMU but I see no way that they stay within 4 scores of NDSU.

41-7 NDSU

JSUSoutherner
December 1st, 2018, 07:05 PM
Great season for Colgate.

Unfortunately it ends here and it won't be pretty.

katss07
December 1st, 2018, 07:34 PM
Colgate deserves to celebrate a great season, maybe their best since ‘03. The Raiders took it to a JMU team that has been the best FCS team not named NDSU for a little while now. Heck, Colgate has eliminated the Dukes more than the Bison have over the past few years!

Raiders aren’t going to win but I hope they play great and grab a moral victory. Patriot League teams CAAn compete with teams like JMU or UNH or Delaware. Tonight proves that. Also looked like a pretty good turnout in Hamilton. Again, congratulations to Raider Nation, great team and memorable season.

I’ll say 38-10 because Colgate has a real legit defense. Enjoy the FargoDome, it is a bad place for football but the atmosphere and people are great. They can be annoying on messaging boards but they are fun in real life and throw one helluva tailgate. Good luck to both sides.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2018, 07:35 PM
It seems whenever the PL gets a team that can legitimately advance they get a brutal draw. To be the best you need to beat the best, I get it. But it would be nice if the PL could get back over the quarterfinal hump.

Unless Breneman can channel his inner Mahomes I don't know how Colgate legitimately make this competitive for 4 quarters. Their defense will hang in for a bit but the wave of death will kill them in the second half...

van
December 1st, 2018, 07:41 PM
Breneman looked rusty as would be expected after 4 weeks off, plus the shoulder may not be 100% yet, he will need to play better to give Raiders a chance next week

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2018, 07:45 PM
you have to believe the Bison would beat up Army so they beat Colgate 38 to 7

enjoyed watching Colgate play today, never tuned into the Bison game once

ming01
December 1st, 2018, 07:49 PM
27 or 30 to 7 Ndsu

Lorne_Malvo
December 1st, 2018, 07:54 PM
27 or 30 to 7 Ndsu

42-10 NDSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2018, 07:54 PM

I don't think NDSU would beat up Army. It would be an absolute test of wills.

The Fargo Dome Factor is definitely real for teams who haven't been there before. It's unlike anywhere else in FCS. Colgate is a high IQ and their defense will travel but that will only get them so far. I could 'Gate hanging around, maybe 17-7 at half, before the avalanche happens. 40-10'ish seems about right.

I highly encourage any 'Gate fan to go if the opportunity presents itself! I made it there in 2011 and I will always wear it as a badge of honor. I know a couple of Lafayette posters went in 2011 as well. I'll be free next weekend if anyone needs a driver! I'd love to roadtrip this one...lol

Amazingly, this will be the 3rd PL team in the last 7 years to find themselves playing the Bison.

katss07
December 1st, 2018, 07:58 PM

Nah, NDSU wouldn’t beat Army this season.

POD Knows
December 1st, 2018, 08:00 PM
Are you serious.

Lorne_Malvo
December 1st, 2018, 08:01 PM

Arms is ranked 30 spots below NDSU.

ElCid
December 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM

Are your serious.

Massey says they would win over Army, barely. But there is not a lot of computer connection there. In the dome, probably.

POD Knows
December 1st, 2018, 08:05 PM
We hear bull**** like that before every FBS team we play. EVERY FREAKING ONE. And then we win, the excuses come flying out hot and heavy.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2018, 08:20 PM

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2018, 08:23 PM
It will be nice to see Colgate's defense in person. I expect them to give the Bison some trouble right away but the Bison always make great adjustments.

The question for me is can the Colgate offense do anything against the Bison defense? I don't think so....not for 4 quarters.

First time team to the FD....good luck!

Coaches will challenge the OL to take it to the Colgate defense.

Bison win this by multiple scores:

38-9

katss07
December 1st, 2018, 08:31 PM
We hear bull**** like that before every FBS team we play. EVERY FREAKING ONE. And then we win, the excuses come flying out hot and heavy.
I would never take anything away from NDSU because they’ve earned that right and have won 6 championships in 7 years. But Army is a ranked team (at the end of the season, unlike Iowa). Just my hypothetical prediction.

No doubt the Bison would give them a game. The Bison would give anyone outside of the Top 15 a game.

POD Knows
December 1st, 2018, 08:37 PM
I would never take anything away from NDSU because they’ve earned that right and have won 6 championships in 7 years. But Army is a ranked team (at the end of the season, unlike Iowa). Just my hypothetical prediction.

No doubt the Bison would give them a game. The Bison would give anyone outside of the Top 15 a game.
Iowa State is ranked this year as well. Lots of very average FBS teams outside the top

TennBison
December 1st, 2018, 08:42 PM

But yet for some reason you still voted in the poll that Colgate was going to win.

jmu007
December 1st, 2018, 08:44 PM
I really don’t want this to just sound like sour grapes, but NDSU by at least 4 TDS. I have no idea why JMU didn’t just attack Colgate straight on with more power either. NDSU is built to exploit the things JMU couldn’t today.

katss07
December 1st, 2018, 08:44 PM
But yet for some reason you still voted in the poll that Colgate was going to win.
xlolx

KPSUL
December 1st, 2018, 08:49 PM
COLGATE teams CAAn compete with teams like JMU or UNH or Delaware. Tonight proves that. Also looked like a pretty good turnout in Hamilton. Again, congratulations to Raider Nation, great team and memorable season.

There, FIFY

ming01
December 1st, 2018, 08:54 PM
I don't think NDSU would beat up Army. It would be an absolute test of wills.

The Fargo Dome Factor is definitely real for teams who haven't been there before. It's unlike anywhere else in FCS. Colgate is a high IQ and their defense will travel but that will only get them so far. I could 'Gate hanging around, maybe 17-7 at half, before the avalanche happens. 40-10'ish seems about right.

I highly encourage any 'Gate fan to go if the opportunity presents itself! I made it there in 2011 and I will always wear it as a badge of honor. I know a couple of Lafayette posters went in 2011 as well. I'll be free next weekend if anyone needs a driver! I'd love to roadtrip this one...lol

Amazingly, this will be the 3rd PL team in the last 7 years to find themselves playing the Bison.

Yes Army is pretty good this year. Colgate should hang around first half, but a little scare into the fans, make our offense look off its game. 2nd half SU settles down and pulls away

KPSUL
December 1st, 2018, 08:56 PM
Winner of UNH-Lafayette!!

Actually in 2103 we had to be beat 2 seeded teams after Laffy-ette before getting manhandled in the Fargo Dome about as bad as MSU did today.

CockyGeek
December 1st, 2018, 09:14 PM
Bison by 40+ in this one. Terrible matchup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2018, 09:27 PM
Just looked up Colgate's opponents offensive ranks: 124 FCS teams

Defensive stats against some of the crappiest FCS teams.....xcoffeex

Bring it. Let's see how they do against this Bison team.

Green1
December 1st, 2018, 09:35 PM
Just looked up Colgate's opponents offensive ranks: 124 FCS teams

Defensive stats against some of the crappiest FCS teams.....xcoffeex

Bring it. Let's see how they do against this Bison team.

Ouch! Sometimes the truth hurts...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2018, 09:46 PM
Ouch! Sometimes the truth hurts...

The Colgate fans, and for that matter PL fans in general, know the league was terrible this year. No one will argue with that. Their numbers were absolutely inflated against some bad to truly pathetic competition. Their "not allowing a TD" streak was a bit of a joke. I love ya 'Gate but it was. JMU proved on the first possession it could be had for a quick score. Army did the same thing.

With all that said, this is still a really good unit. Their pursuit, discipline and tackling is top notch. They would hold up physically in the MVFC. It's the offense that's the problem. Colgate historically does not have flashy offenses. Winning the LOS and TOP have always been part of Biddle now Hunt Ball...

The PL fans are pretty good at knowing what we got. When our teams suck we know and we own it. When we have a legitimately quality team like Colgate this year we can identify it. It's the quirky league of FCS....

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2018, 09:50 PM
The Colgate fans, and for that matter PL fans in general, know the league was terrible this year. No one will argue with that. Their numbers were absolutely inflated against some bad to truly pathetic competition. But this is still a really good unit. Their pursuit, discipline and tackling is top notch. They would hold physically in the MVFC. It's the offense that's the problem. Colgate historically does not have flashy offenses. Winning the LOS and TOP have always been part of Biddle now Hunt Ball...

The PL fans are pretty good at knowing what we got. When our teams suck we know and we own it. When we have a legitimately quality team like Colgate this year we can identify it. It's the quirky league of FCS....

And Colgate's defense will probably give the Bison fits at times next week but can they do it for a full game?

The Bison are going to score on Colgate. Will it be 52 points like today? Doubt it but they will score. Now the question is can Colgate score enough points to win? Even if Colgate can manage to hold NDSU in the 20s, can Colgate's offense score more than that on the Bison defense?

New team will be nice to see.

cx500d
December 1st, 2018, 09:53 PM
I’m really looking forward to seeing this game...who is coming from Colgate?

FargoBison
December 1st, 2018, 09:54 PM
The problem for Colgate's defense might be their offense. Not sure how that unit will fair against a very stout Bison defense, easily the best defense Colgate will have seen this year.

cx500d
December 1st, 2018, 09:58 PM
The problem for Colgate's defense might be their offense. Not sure how that unit will fair against a very stout Bison defense, easily the best defense Colgate will have seen this year.
That’s what I thought watching them play jmu. Offense did just enough to win, nothing more, but jmu defense is stout.

PeacockRaider
December 1st, 2018, 09:59 PM
Toying with making the trip, always wanted to go to ND and also the Fargo Dome. What's the tailgating scene like? NDSU fans have a great reputation, but it's going to be like 10 degrees

cx500d
December 1st, 2018, 10:00 PM
Toying with making the trip, always wanted to go to ND and also the Fargo Dome. What's the tailgating scene like? NDSU fans have a great reputation, but it's going to be like 10 degrees
This will be my fist winter tailgate, but I’ve heard that a lot of places set up heated tent enclosures

FargoBison
December 1st, 2018, 10:01 PM

Tailgating will be great...going to be 21 degrees which isn't too bad considering we've had playoff tailgates with temps below zero.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2018, 10:01 PM

..........YER KIDDIN'......RIGHT ?.....xsighx....BRAWK!

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2018, 10:04 PM
This will be my fist winter tailgate, but I’ve heard that a lot of places set up heated tent enclosures

21 degrees?

Light sweatshirt weather....xnodx:D

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2018, 10:06 PM

If you can swing it, do it! You won't regret it regardless of the outcome! The tailgating is awesome! The west side of the Dome parking areas are loaded RV's and P5 level tailgate setups. Someone on here will hook you up! Everyone out there is super friendly! Plus, you'll realize that Fargo/Moorhead metro area is pretty sweet!...and flat!! You're from Hamilton, NY! Embrace the cold!

I vow to return!!

BisonBacker
December 1st, 2018, 10:11 PM
Agreed it will be nice to see a new team into the dome but the results are going to be the same. This teams record is reflective of the teams they've played and those teams lack of offensive ability. I have no doubt they have an ok defense but I doubt they've seen anything like the offensive and defensive lines of NDSU. Oh and to the doubters regarding NDSU beating Army I only wish NDSU had the opportunity to have played them in OOC play this year. NDSU would have beat Army!

PeacockRaider
December 1st, 2018, 10:13 PM
If you can swing it, do it! You won't regret it regardless of the outcome! The tailgating is awesome! The west side of the Dome parking areas are loaded RV's and P5 level tailgate setups. Someone on here will hook you up! Everyone out there is super friendly! Plus, you'll realize that Fargo/Moorhead metro area is pretty sweet!...and flat!! You're from Hamilton, NY! Embrace the cold!

I vow to return!!

Thanks. Been a good year, checked West Point off the bucket list now maybe Fargo. The only thing that stinks is I would have to make it a quick trip in Friday night out Sunday morning. I guess it's also nice that you get to warm up after the tailgate

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2018, 10:14 PM
I really think this will be a game for a half, but Colgate will buckle in the second half from too many short offensive possessions.

28-3 Bison

No_Skill
December 1st, 2018, 10:18 PM
ButtArmy?

cx500d
December 1st, 2018, 10:21 PM
ButtArmy?
#ButtTripleOption

Lorne_Malvo
December 1st, 2018, 10:21 PM
Tailgating will be great...going to be 21 degrees which isn't too bad considering we've had playoff tailgates with temps below zero.

Somewhere their was a video of NDSU tailgating in 20 something below.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2018, 10:24 PM
Agreed it will be nice to see a new team into the dome but the results are going to be the same. This teams record is reflective of the teams they've played and those teams lack of offensive ability. I have no doubt they have an ok defense but I doubt they've seen anything like the offensive and defensive lines of NDSU. Oh and to the doubters regarding NDSU beating Army I only wish NDSU had the opportunity to have played them in OOC play this year. NDSU would have beat Army!

Colgate's defense is definitely better than OK. It's legit. It easily handled JMU's athletes in space today. The CB's were locked onto Stapleton all day.

Colgate's offense faced what was is easily one of the top defenses in FCS today. JMU is loaded at all 3 levels. Ron'dell Carter and Moreland are beasts. Colgate shouldn't be overwhelmed by NDSU from a physical standpoint. Playing Army then JMU gets you ready for that. It's handling the dome and the Bison's awesome execution for 4 quarters. Safe to say, Easton Stick is not DeNucci. Colgate will not get those "extra possessions" due to turnovers. NDSU will hammer away at the Rohrless interior DL. I just can't see Breneman making enough plays with his arm. He'll need to steal some first downs with his legs to give the offense a chance of surviving the TOP battle....

cx500d
December 1st, 2018, 10:26 PM
Colgate's defense is definitely better than OK. It's legit. It easily handled JMU's athletes in space today. The CB's were locked onto Stapleton all day.

Colgate's offense faced what was is easily one of the top defenses in FCS today. JMU is loaded at all 3 levels. Ron'dell Carter and Moreland are beasts. Colgate shouldn't be overwhelmed by NDSU from a physical standpoint. Playing Army then JMU gets you ready for that. It's handling the dome and the Bison's awesome execution for 4 quarters. Safe to say, Easton Stick is not DeNucci. Colgate will not get those "extra possessions" due to turnovers. NDSU will hammer away at the Rohrless interior DL. I just can't see Breneman making enough plays with his arm. He'll need to steal some first downs with his legs to give the offense a chance of surviving the TOP battle....
Going for a homerun on the 1st play seems to be a good tactic against the bison d

awBison
December 1st, 2018, 11:14 PM
I dont think that this wikk be a close game. NDSU has it locked down in the 1st quarter IMO.

ming01
December 2nd, 2018, 12:14 AM

This is very good analysis of this game

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2018, 12:28 AM
Tall order for the Red Raiders.

Sader87
December 2nd, 2018, 01:30 AM
Colgate could beat NDSU....but if they don't, it really isn't that big of a deal.....Colgate has been playing D1 football for decades....if they lose to an upstart like NDSU, good on the Bizon.....it is what it is....really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things....programs like Colgate and Holy Cross will go on

Herder
December 2nd, 2018, 03:12 AM
Colgate could beat NDSU....but if they don't, it really isn't that big of a deal.....Colgate has been playing D1 football for decades....if they lose to an upstart like NDSU, good on the Bizon.....it is what it is....really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things....programs like Colgate and Holy Cross will go on

Holy Cross has a nice little history with 627 wins. Your upstart is within a 100 of NDSUs 720, but does it really matter? It’s just a game.

ddmann
December 2nd, 2018, 03:44 AM
Having seen two of Cogate's games this year I was impressed with their defense. I think this game will be a bit tighter than many believe. NDSU's strength is running up the gut which is Colgate's weakness it won't be the normal NDSU rout but they will still win.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 05:45 AM

you are going to be shocked.......

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 06:03 AM

xlolx

NDSU was a D2 power for decades. Upstart? xlolx

Get your popcorn and watch the game on your couch.

Oh ya, NDSU will "go on" also......

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 06:14 AM

Colgate needed 5 INTs to eek out a 3 point win at home against JMU. Congrats to Colgate but NDSU is head and shoulders above JMU this year by watching them this year. Colgate's defense looks good, looking forward to watching them and how they defend this Bison offense.

I doubt NDSU is going to commit 5 turnovers during this game. Stick is light years better than DiNucci. JMU still had 3 runners average over 4 yards/carry in that game. Now comes the Bison which can throw 4 RBs at them and they will be fresh with rotation.

JMU still had almost 400 yards in this game...200 more yards than Colgate gives up per game....a home game. Now they come to the FD for the 1st time.

Looking forward to the match up.

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 06:58 AM

OK you keep telling yourself that, I saw the same on the MSU board this past week and many other boards over the last several years.

Upstart nice one. This Upstart Bison team and your experienced Colgate team could play 100 times and the Bison would win 100 times.

you are going to be shocked.......

You can talk till your blue in the face telling these folks the same thing and they'll only call you a Bison Troll or arrogant Bison Fan that is until after they lose to the Bison. Then the excuses start. Don't you know it was the refs in the MSU game yesterday that cost the Bobcats the game? I mean some MSU fans said the refs were paid off. xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2018, 07:09 AM
.....YOUSE PEEPS.........ARE WASTIN'.....BREATH.......TA EVEN DISCUSS.......'GATE'S......CHANCES........IT'LL BE OVERAH.....'BOUT AS QUICK.......AS....ALL DUH OTHERAH.......NEW COMERS......TA FARGO'S....DOME......AN' AH'M NO DISSIN'....RAIDERS........BUT TOO MANY TIMES NOW......AH'VE HOPED FO' SOMEBODAH TA SHOW UP.......BUT IT NEVER HAPPENS.......LIKE WHEN AH DREAM UH CATCHIN' UH UNICORN.......:(..........BRAWK!!!

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 07:12 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29650&stc=1

LehighU11
December 2nd, 2018, 07:17 AM
Colgate will keep this respectable. The 2018 Raiders are the best PL squad since 2011 Lehigh, which went into the Fargodome in the QFs and lost 24-0. Turnovers, a couple questionable play calls, and the absence of their top WR cost Lehigh at least 1 score. The Bison could have scored more than 24.

'gate will get some stops and maybe put up a FG or two, or perhaps even a TD. I'll go with 31-10 NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 07:21 AM
.....YOUSE PEEPS.........ARE WASTIN'.....BREATH.......TA EVEN DISCUSS.......'GATE'S......CHANCES........IT'LL BE OVERAH.....'BOUT AS QUICK.......AS....ALL DUH OTHERAH.......NEW COMERS......TA FARGO'S....DOME......AN' AH'M NO DISSIN'....RAIDERS........BUT TOO MANY TIMES NOW......AH'VE HOPED FO' SOMEBODAH TA SHOW UP.......BUT IT NEVER HAPPENS.......LIKE WHEN AH DREAM UH CATCHIN' UH UNICORN.......:(..........BRAWK!!!

Went thru my decoder ring to read this.

Nothing wrong with talking Xs and Os about this game.

I'm looking forward to this match up. For one, it is a different team and that is great. Gets tiring seeing the same teams all the time.

Colgate has a good defense, easy to see but against a suspect conference schedule. They gave up almost 400 yards to JMU and their RBs averaged over 4 yards/carry and needed 5 INTs to pull it out.

You bet Colgate could win this game but I wouldn't count on NDSU committing 5 turnovers in this game, although it could happen.

NDSU is very good in the trenches on both sides of the ball, so I'm excited to see them match up against the Colgate defense.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 07:23 AM
Colgate will keep this respectable. The 2018 Raiders are the best PL squad since 2011 Lehigh, which went into the Fargodome in the QFs and lost 24-0. Turnovers, a couple questionable play calls, and the absence of their top WR cost Lehigh at least 1 score. The Bison could have scored more than 24.

'gate will get some stops and maybe put up a FG or two, or perhaps even a TD. I'll go with 31-10 NDSU.

IIRC....Lehigh threw the ball over 50 times in that game....multiple INTs also.

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 07:28 AM

I'm looking forward to this match up. For one, it is a different team and that is great. Gets tiring seeing the same teams all the time.

Colgate has a good defense, easy to see but against a suspect conference schedule. They gave up almost 400 yards to JMU and their RBs averaged over 4 yards/carry and needed 5 INTs to pull it out.

You bet Colgate could win this game but I wouldn't count on NDSU committing 5 turnovers in this game, although it could happen.

NDSU is very good in the trenches on both sides of the ball, so I'm excited to see them match up against the Colgate defense.

xlolx That's putting it nicely xlolx

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 07:30 AM
I see Poddy hasn't gotten in yet to put his hex vote on the Red Raiders xlolx

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 07:33 AM
Very impressed with the Colgate D yesterday, but you know what, Delaware D played just as well against JMU last week (didn't get the TO'S though) , Delaware just had no chance to score points

that Delaware D did not fare well at all in Frisco....

38-7 Bison

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 07:33 AM
I see Poddy hasn't gotten in yet to put his hex vote on the Red Raiders xlolx

He might be quiet in this one....waiting for the potential SDSU semi final game....xlolx

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 07:35 AM
He might be quiet in this one....waiting for the potential SDSU semi final game....xlolx

Yeah he doesn't want to use up all his bad mojo to soon xlolx

CFBfan
December 2nd, 2018, 07:50 AM
The Colgate fans, and for that matter PL fans in general, know the league was terrible this year. No one will argue with that. Their numbers were absolutely inflated against some bad to truly pathetic competition. Their "not allowing a TD" streak was a bit of a joke. I love ya 'Gate but it was. JMU proved on the first possession it could be had for a quick score. Army did the same thing.

With all that said, this is still a really good unit. Their pursuit, discipline and tackling is top notch. They would hold up physically in the MVFC. It's the offense that's the problem. Colgate historically does not have flashy offenses. Winning the LOS and TOP have always been part of Biddle now Hunt Ball...

Unless you're from lehigh, other than this year (and even sometimes this year) LU poster have an extremely inflated view of their team, a team that has done nothing outside the PL.
This is Gates 2nd Semi-Final appearance (both after beating JMU) in 4 years.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 07:50 AM

Yea, don't pay any attention to those votes....

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2018, 07:54 AM

......WASTED TIME.......MO' WELL SPENT......CHANGIN' DUH SNO-MOBILE...OYL..........AWK!

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2018, 08:21 AM
Yeah he doesn't want to use up all his bad mojo to soon xlolx
Yep, I am exhausted this weekend after taking out JSU, JMU and Wofford. Needed Wofford out to get SDSU on the road, I firmly believe that SDSU is the only team that has a shot to be beat the Bison.

Laker
December 2nd, 2018, 08:30 AM
Bison over the Red Raiders.

Yes, I am old school.

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2018, 08:43 AM
Three factors point to a NDSU victory for me:

1) Colgate looked extremely one dimensional yesterday. If you come in like that NDSU will exploit that.

2) Dome factor -This varies for teams that come here the first time. Some adjust in a quarter. Some take a half. Some never do. The hope for teams is hoping the bleeding isn't terminal by the time they've adjusted.

3) Colgate weakness defending the run up the middle. NDSU could throw 6 backs at them if we needed, all of them high quality runners. We will force our will against anyone not named SDSU.

Colgate fans. Come out. Have fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2018, 08:58 AM
Unless you're from lehigh, other than this year (and even sometimes this year) LU poster have an extremely inflated view of their team, a team that has done nothing outside the PL.
This is Gates 2nd Semi-Final appearance (both after beating JMU) in 4 years.

This is the quarterfinals. Not semifinals....

NDSUtk
December 2nd, 2018, 09:03 AM
Not surprisingly, NDSU will be run heavy against Colgate, much like we did yesterday against Montana State. Colgate allowed 5.1 yards per carry yesterday and NDSU averaged 9.3 per carry yesterday. In addition, NDSU only ran Stick one time... JMU's QB was their leading rusher for over 70 yards. Plus I'm hearing Colgate lost a key DL. It just doesn't bode well for Colgate with NDSU's power run game.

Really weird that JMU didn't rush more - 39 passes to 35 rushes. NDSU was 18 passes to 42 rushes. I'd expect to see us continue that split. No need for Stick to have to win this one in the air.

Someone earlier commented we have 4 RBs ready, and they are 4 that are different than yesterday. With the redshirt 4 game rule, Seth Wilson will play every game NDSU plays the rest of the year. Dunn, Anderson, Brooks, Wilson and Cofield all will be available. Although it's likely Cofield would only come in mop up duty.

I'm thinking NDSU rushes for at least 300 yards... Final score NDSU 42 Colgate 7. NDSU just doesn't like to give up points in the playoffs.

NDSUtk
December 2nd, 2018, 09:13 AM
Toying with making the trip, always wanted to go to ND and also the Fargo Dome. What's the tailgating scene like? NDSU fans have a great reputation, but it's going to be like 10 degreesTailgating will begin at 5:30 AM for this one. That means the lots will be a bit quieter than a normal afternoon game. But there will still be a nice tailgate setup. No idea what you're used to seeing but in regular season we fill out the tailgate lots, which is 1,700 parking spots. But in playoffs, a couple hundred won't be filled in.

Those 1700 spots get taken up by RV's or tents for most folks. For example, my group owns 8 tailgating spots and we park cars in 4, and use 4 for our tents. We setup dual 20x10 tents so ends up being a square 20x20 which gives us a nice space. We will run propane heaters to keep warm. Last weekend it was 8 degrees outside and we had it just over 60 in the tent. Point being, it may be cold but you'll get welcomed in to tents and RVs with plenty of food and booze if you want.

If you're looking to make a trip out, let me know. We would gladly welcome you and your group. Haven't decided on the menu yet but we will have something breakfast (High likelihood of Casey's Breakfast Pizza or else French toast on the griddle) and a late morning snack to soak up some of the booze.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 09:26 AM
......WASTED TIME.......MO' WELL SPENT......CHANGIN' DUH SNO-MOBILE...OYL..........AWK!

yea, there was nothing about x and o's in that post..... too funny

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 09:30 AM
Nice to see another new team come to Fargo. Looking forward to the game. Raiders have a very good defense but I don't think that'll be enough to keep them in this one.

you want to see some new teams? you know what to do.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 09:45 AM

Bison do. Nice tune up game in Delaware next year!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Colgate needed 5 INTs to eek out a 3 point win at home against JMU. Congrats to Colgate but NDSU is head and shoulders above JMU this year by watching them this year. Colgate's defense looks good, looking forward to watching them and how they defend this Bison offense.

I doubt NDSU is going to commit 5 turnovers during this game. Stick is light years better than DiNucci. JMU still had 3 runners average over 4 yards/carry in that game. Now comes the Bison which can throw 4 RBs at them and they will be fresh with rotation.

JMU still had almost 400 yards in this game...200 more yards than Colgate gives up per game....a home game. Now they come to the FD for the 1st time.

Looking forward to the match up.

JMU should have continued to pound away at the middle of the Colgate line yesterday. That's were the Dukes were having the most success on offense throughout the game.

I have the score in the 40-10'ish range so I'm not that "high" on Colgate. I think short fields and fatigue will ultimately doom them over 4 quarters. Not NDSU just running through them from the start. This is a brutally tough matchup for the Raiders given their offense. It's similar K-State's with Colin Klein at QB.

I would love to see Colgate play anyone other than NDSU in Fargo. Getting sent there is basically a death sentence. Especially against this version of the Bison. I think 'Gate would have had a varying degree of a chance against the other 6 teams.

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 09:48 AM

I could only wish xrolleyesx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 09:53 AM
I could only wish xrolleyesx

I love all the gnashing of teeth by other fans about NDSU "not going anywhere" to play outside the FD.....xlolx

Butler
UND
UC Davis
Delaware

None of those teams will challenge the Bison next year.

Daytripper
December 2nd, 2018, 09:57 AM
I think the Bizon win, but Colgate keeps it pretty close. 24-18

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 10:11 AM
I love all the gnashing of teeth by other fans about NDSU "not going anywhere" to play outside the FD.....xlolx

Butler
UND
UC Davis
Delaware

None of those teams will challenge the Bison next year.

Oh I took his comments as moving up to FBS

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 10:25 AM

Just watched the replay of Colgate/JMU.

Colgate DL is 265 - 275 - 255.

Bison's G gap power running game should be able to push this line back.

Gangtackle11
December 2nd, 2018, 10:28 AM
Colgate you had a nice season, but it ends here. 35-7 xpeacex

maine612
December 2nd, 2018, 10:31 AM
Since nobody is beating NDSU, I'll pick them here.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 10:37 AM

Colgate hater

xnodx

maine612
December 2nd, 2018, 10:45 AM
Colgate hater

xnodx

Ha! Colgate has had a great season.. Maine has to go there next year which should be a good one. Bison will roll though.

Laker
December 2nd, 2018, 10:58 AM
I just saw them give a helmet sticker to a Bison helmet on College Football Final.

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:01 AM
Bison do. Nice tune up game in Delaware next year!

........BIZON CHIP.....WE KNOW WHAT'S COMIN'......xasswhipx....IT'S OWN-LAH UH THREAT........IFIN' PECKERHEADS.. ARE IN DENIAL...xrolleyesx....JES' COME OUT....AN' ADMIRE....DUH NEW PRESSBOX..........xhugx..........BRAWK!

mmiller_34
December 2nd, 2018, 11:03 AM
Do they even have to play this game? Colgate might have less than 100 total yards. #Bookit

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:05 AM
........BIZON CHIP.....WE KNOW WHAT'S COMIN'......xasswhipx....IT'S OWN-LAH UH THREAT........IFIN' PECKERHEADS.. ARE IN DENIAL...xrolleyesx....JES' COME OUT....AN' ADMIRE....DUH NEW PRESSBOX..........xhugx..........BRAWK!

Should be a decent Bison contingent there.

Derby City Duke
December 2nd, 2018, 11:09 AM
Do what our 'great' coach failed to do yesterday:

Run power between the tackles

Target your best receiver who has 7" on his defender

Don't call a fake punt in a tie game from mid-field

Oh, and run power between the tackles SINCE WE RAN FOR NEARLY 3X THEIR DEFENSIVE RUSHING YPG...

Bison hang half-a-hundred on the Raiders.

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2018, 11:11 AM
Do they even have to play this game? Colgate might have less than 100 total yards. #BookitUsing the word "might" while trying to invoke bookit karma will not work. Your sentence show have read like this, "They do not even need to play this game, Colgate will not get 100 yards of total offense #bookit. The question mark you added at the end of the first sentence was also a no no.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:11 AM

Oh, and run power between the tackles SINCE WE RAN FOR NEARLY 3X THEIR DEFENSIVE RUSHING YPG...

Watching the Colgate/JMU......geez.....JMU should have run power up the middle all game....xsmhx....they would have won IMO.

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:12 AM

....IS.....DAT B/4...DUH BULBS BLOW......xdontknowx............BRAWK!

POD Knows
December 2nd, 2018, 11:14 AM
Watching the Colgate/JMU......geez.....JMU should have run power up the middle all game....xsmhx....they would have won IMO.I watched the game this morning and the offensive play calling by JMU was weak at best. They were having success running the ball but didn't stick to it. They were slinging it around way to much and it cost them. Colgate is really quick on D but really small. They have a good LB crew as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:22 AM
I watched the game this morning and the offensive play calling by JMU was weak at best. They were having success running the ball but didn't stick to it. They were slinging it around way to much and it cost them. Colgate is really quick on D but really small. They have a good LB crew as well.

Noticed this also. Posted their weights in an earlier post. 260-270 getting leaned on by 300-310 all game will be tough on them.

Piss poor play calling by the JMU coaches.

Colgate has a nice team but they will be overmatched on Saturday. Lots of spread sets on offense. Going to have a tough time against this Bison defense.

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 11:24 AM
Noticed this also. Posted their weights in an earlier post. 260-270 getting leaned on by 300-310 all game will be tough on them.

Colgate has a nice team but they will be overmatched on Saturday. Lots of spread sets on offense. Going to have a tough time against this Bison defense.

Charleston Southern had a small defensive front but used their guys to cut the Bison offensive line to create piles.

Will Colgate do that. I doubt it. Right now that Bison offense is rolling.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:36 AM
Charleston Southern had a small defensive front but used their guys to cut the Bison offensive line to create piles.

Will Colgate do that. I doubt it. Right now that Bison offense is rolling.

Dewey

Not sure if they will. Rules now are you cannot cut block outside the box. Maybe they stack the box to stop power up the middle but Stick will beat them passing. Tough match up for Colgate IMO.

Hammerhead
December 2nd, 2018, 12:10 PM
Just like the second round, this will be be over in the first quarter.

BisonBacker
December 2nd, 2018, 12:35 PM
Just like the second round, this will be be over in the first quarter.

xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
December 2nd, 2018, 12:37 PM
....SO END UH THREAD?........NO......YOUSE JES' HALFTAH....TOY.........WHIFF US.....AWK!

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 12:57 PM

Since your team is playing Friday night, are you coming up for this game?

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 12:59 PM
Should be a decent Bison contingent there.

Yeah, I'll be semi-local then, so I plan on going.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 01:02 PM

The Colgate players are smart and have great poise, so I think that will keep them in the game.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2018, 01:09 PM
Defense wins championships is the ol' mantra, that I have always believed in. Colgate has a defense that is quick and tough. Their ability to pull out a win is to keep the game close and cause and/or take advantage of some turnovers. "The Dome" is tough to play in and Bison should be favored by 2-3 scores, but if it comes down to a defensive based game and the Raiders are still "in it" in the fourth quarter, the throats might get a bit dry over the prospect of losing to a lowly PL team and mistake can happen. I voted out of emotion, but will not be shocked if 'gate can make the Dome come 'unhinged'!

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 01:11 PM
Defense wins championships is the ol' mantra, that I have always believed in. Colgate has a defense that is quick and tough. Their ability to pull out a win is to keep the game close and cause and/or take advantage of some turnovers. "The Dome" is tough to play in and Bison should be favored by 2-3 scores, but if it comes down to a defensive based game and the Raiders are still "in it" in the fourth quarter, the throats might get a bit dry over the prospect of losing to a lowly PL team and mistake can happen. I voted out of emotion, but will not be shocked if 'gate can make the Dome come 'unhinged'!

If Stick pulls a Christian/DiNucci, anything can happen.

CommishBigSmooth
December 2nd, 2018, 01:18 PM
If Stick pulls a Christian/DiNucci, anything can happen.

DiNucci threw five picks in the game.

Stick has thrown five picks all season.

But I guess anything's possible.....

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 2nd, 2018, 01:28 PM
Trust the toothpaste!

Gangtackle11
December 2nd, 2018, 01:41 PM

A puncher’s chance. NDSU will ground & pound them to exhaustion. Great season for the ‘Gate, but this team isn’t in the same weight class of the Bison. Love to see it though. xpeacex

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 01:45 PM

You got it BisonB

Let's get Bama into the Fargo Dome! Now that would be fun...... but these beat downs are getting old even for Bison fans

Bisonless playoffs would be wide open.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 01:48 PM
The Colgate players are smart and have great poise, so I think that will keep them in the game.

I'm sure they are. IMO, NDSU is a really tough match up for them. They do not have two big DTs to clog up the middle and are small on the DL. NDSU has TEs that are extension of the OL and two FBs that just hammer LBs in lead blocking.

IMO, if NDSU does not have multiple TOs, this game will be a rout.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 01:49 PM
A puncher’s chance. NDSU will ground & pound them to exhaustion. Great season for the ‘Gate, but this team isn’t in the same weight class of the Bison. Love to see it though. xpeacex

Agree

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 01:51 PM

If they are really smart they will call in sick.....

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 02:22 PM
From Sam Herder: NDSU opens up at -27 o/u 47

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 02:25 PM
Let's get Bama into the Fargo Dome! Now that would be fun...... but these beat downs are getting old even for Bison fans

Bisonless playoffs would be wide open.....

I for one am certainly not getting tired of the Bison dominating. I love it.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I'll be semi-local then, so I plan on going.

When we getting together for a beer? Got to get dewey to go with us again.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 02:31 PM
When we getting together for a beer? Got to get dewey to go with us again.

This weekend? Friday or Saturday?

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 02:34 PM
This weekend? Friday or Saturday?

I'll be at the Radisson in downtown Fargo around 6pm on Friday if you want to come downtown for a beer or 2? That's where I am staying.

If you want to drink Michgolden Light that costs 7 pennies for an 8 oz beer, let me know, we can do that too! :D

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 02:35 PM
I for one am certainly not getting tired of the Bison dominating. I love it.

Dewey

I just want to see how good the Bison really are, FCS is just not answering that question and will not for years to come

would love to see the Bison play someone like Miami or some other cocky FBS team between 25-10 range....

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 02:35 PM
From Sam Herder: NDSU opens up at -27 o/u 47Here are the lines for all the games.

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/f120469cd87f031348efcd3ec265d74f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 02:37 PM
I just want to see how good the Bison really are, FCS is just not answering that question and will not for years to come

would love to see the Bison play someone like Miami or some other cocky FBS team between 25-10 range....Like Iowa? LOL. I would love to see a game against Miami Florida.

I would like to see Nebraska take on NDSU but I think this years NDSU team beats them by a few scores.

Dewey

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 02:37 PM
I'll be at the Radisson in downtown Fargo around 6pm on Friday if you want to come downtown for a beer or 2? That's where I am staying.

If you want to drink Michgolden Light that costs 7 pennies for an 8 oz beer, let me know, we can do that too! :D

I'm at the Homewood across from FD; I get in Friday early afternoon. 7 pennies? Really?

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 02:38 PM

would love to see the Bison play someone like Miami or some other cocky FBS team between 25-10 range....

Miami University - no challenge

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 02:41 PM
Like Iowa? LOL. I would love to see a game against Miami Florida.

I would like to see Nebraska take on NDSU but I think this years NDSU team beats them by a few scores.

Dewey

Iowa no, would not be excited

Nebraska better, I agree with you on the outcome

Miami is a must - home and home

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 02:44 PM

Iowa, Kansas St, other P5/G5 schools...

Next up Oregon 2020.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM
Miami University - no challenge

haha, funny thing is in Latin America they think Miami is the capitol of the United States.....

Bison vs Hurricanes ..... I give the Bison a fair shot to win it

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 02:45 PM
I'm at the Homewood across from FD; I get in Friday early afternoon. 7 pennies? Really?

No bull****. I'm dead serious about the cost. If you come to the Radisson, I'll call when I get into town, I'll show you a good time. We'll also do Wurst for the beer cheese pretzels.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 02:49 PM
haha, funny thing is in Latin America they think Miami is the capitol of the United States.....

Bison vs Hurricanes ..... I give the Bison a fair shot to win it

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Redhawks.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 02:59 PM
Here are the lines for all the games.

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/f120469cd87f031348efcd3ec265d74f.jpg

NDSU covers that spread.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 03:20 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the Redhawks.

funny thing is I'm watching Webber State pound the Redhawks right now, I had no idea the Miami of Ohio team was named Redhawks

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 03:48 PM
Iowa no, would not be excited

Nebraska better, I agree with you on the outcome

Miami is a must - home and home

No way any FBS or P5 especially would go on the road to a "Junior Varsity" team.

I would like to see NDSU against a FBS (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska or any regional FBS) at US Bank stadium.

NDSU would bring a lot of people.

I am excited to see how many show up next fall for the Butler game at Target Field.

Dewey

Bison56
December 2nd, 2018, 03:57 PM
No bull****. I'm dead serious about the cost. If you come to the Radisson, I'll call when I get into town, I'll show you a good time. We'll also do Wurst for the beer cheese pretzels.

Oh really???xeyebrowx

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 04:08 PM
Oh really???xeyebrowx

I'm the Captain of Having a Good Time.

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 04:08 PM

The wifey and I ate ate Wurst last weekend. We got the 3 sausage meal with the giant pretzel. Dang was that good.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 04:10 PM
The wifey and I ate ate Wurst last weekend. We got the 3 sausage meal with the giant pretzel. Dang was that good.

Dewey

I did a bacon fleet once. I thought life was complete. Though a bunch of us did Das Boot for the Cal Poly game.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 04:21 PM
funny thing is I'm watching Webber State pound the Redhawks right now, I had no idea the Miami of Ohio team was named Redhawks
Apparently “Redskins” is racist and no longer appropriate for college teams

NDSUtk
December 2nd, 2018, 04:27 PM

You can't go wrong with the pretzels there.

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 04:28 PM
You can't go wrong with the pretzels there.

I get them every time.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 06:03 PM
Apparently “Redskins” is racist and no longer appropriate for college teams

I thought red Hawk was a bird ?

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 06:10 PM
I thought red Hawk was a bird ?
They changed their name....

dewey
December 2nd, 2018, 06:19 PM
Maybe it has been mentioned but NDSU is making their 9th consecutive trip to the quarterfinals.

Dewey

Derby City Duke
December 2nd, 2018, 06:52 PM

Please -- take your head out of the hyperbaric chamber. The JMU coaching staff couldn't get their heads out of their collective butts yesterday and decided they needed to pass the ball and stay balanced on offense. They were pounding Colgate's run defense between the tackles. NDSU will crush the Raiders' spirit and will to compete well before halftime next Saturday.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2018, 07:13 PM
They changed their name....

The learning never stops..... I did not know that, I hope changing the name did not offend an people with Red skin....

Ivytalk
December 2nd, 2018, 08:06 PM
NDSU by 18. Closer than many of you think.

Theee Catrabbit
December 2nd, 2018, 08:14 PM

Dewey

That's the problem with Fargo they think they have such great food at places and then they send the rejects down to Sioux Falls to open up their ****shows. You can have JL Beers, Sickies and Blarneys back.....thanks but no thanks. Wurst was average at best when I went there.

BisonFan02
December 2nd, 2018, 08:18 PM
That's the problem with Fargo they think they have such great food at places and then they send the rejects down to Sioux Falls to open up their ****shows. You can have JL Beers, Sickies and Blarneys back.....thanks but no thanks. Wurst was average at best when I went there.

I travel to SD and Sioux Falls a ton.....its just a poor man's Fargo. :D

Bison56
December 2nd, 2018, 08:50 PM

Nothing worse than having to eat with the low lifes.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 09:03 PM

How many people drove from Sioux Falls to Brookings for the game on Saturday...Oh yeah, none.

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 09:28 PM

I don't trust people who do not like Wurst.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 10:14 PM
I don't trust people who do not like Wurst.

At least it wasn't bad Wurst. Can you imagine having the worst Wurst?

IBleedYellow
December 2nd, 2018, 10:50 PM
At least it wasn't bad Wurst. Can you imagine having the worst Wurst?By the way - Kingpin is talking about bringing you to the OB for pay the day specials.

Hence 7 penny beer for 8 oz of beer. Enjoy the view....

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 10:56 PM
At least it wasn't bad Wurst. Can you imagine having the worst Wurst?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 11:01 PM
By the way - Kingpin is talking about bringing you to the OB for pay the day specials.

I'd get him out of there as soon as he had his fill of Michgolden Light and bring him to Sidestreet or one of the other bars. It was more so that he could have his quota and be content not having to spend more than 5 dollars. I would never take someone there and then say "let's just stay here for awhile". As you know the scene can be interesting though from 8-10. It gets progressively worse as the night goes on.

Lorne_Malvo
December 2nd, 2018, 11:03 PM
NDSU by 18. Closer than many of you think.

I will take that bet. Name the amount.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2018, 11:24 PM
By the way - Kingpin is talking about bringing you to the OB for pay the day specials.

No clue what that is....Downtown is completely different than in my day

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 11:33 PM
No clue what that is....Downtown is completely different than in my day

You'll be happy at the "scenery" in there.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2018, 11:42 PM

Sader87, thank you for picking us. Know you hate the playoffs, but the gesture is greatly appreciated. Colgate and Cross have a long history as friendly and respected rivals and you have underscored that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2018, 06:23 AM
You would think more people would pick the team with the best defense in the FCS.......xeyebrowx

Colgate: #1 in total defense, #1 in scoring defense, #2 in passing defense, #4 in rushing defense, #3 in turnover margin

How is NDSU going to win this?

xdontknowx

dewey
December 3rd, 2018, 06:55 AM
You would think more people would pick the team with the best defense in the FCS.......xeyebrowx

Colgate: #1 in total defense, #1 in scoring defense, #2 in passing defense, #4 in rushing defense, #3 in turnover margin

xdontknowxDeweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181203/b55c55d88b258ea53671924e19ac1f72.jpg

dewey
December 3rd, 2018, 07:02 AM
For Colgate to have a chance they have to slow down the Bison run game.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/927072-Kolpack-Not-much-changed-for-Bison-running-backs-in-eight-years

Dewey

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2018, 07:08 AM
Sorry but Colgate gets smashed here like everyone else. Good for their program and hard working players beating JMU but JMU had what 5 turnovers that game and it still came down to the wire....JMU on a good day beats them by 20. Fargo holds an older and stronger team

NDSU 45-10

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2018, 07:13 AM
Dewey: How do the Bison compete with this juggernaut?

Bison probably will not get over 100 yards of offense against this iron curtain.

Man, we should just all skip the game because they have beaten JMU twice.....no way the Bison can win.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2018, 07:23 AM
Colgate's a decent team that played an extremely weak schedule. Their defensive numbers are inflated just like NCAT's in past years. They'd probably be 3-8 with NDSU's schedule and that's being generous. They are going to find out what it's like to play a top tier team this weekend. This will be similar to the Montana State game and over by halftime.

dewey
December 3rd, 2018, 07:24 AM
Dewey: How do the Bison compete with this juggernaut?

Bison probably will not get over 100 yards of offense against this iron curtain.

Man, we should just all skip the game because they have beaten JMU twice.....no way the Bison can win.

LOL! A team coming to the Fabulous Fargodome for the first time and in the playoffs...spells trouble for Colgate.

Not to dismiss their season as they have had a really good season but it ends this Saturday.

Colgate had better hope for about 4 turnovers from NDSU for them to have a chance.

My prediction
NDSU 42
Colgate 10

Dewey

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 08:23 AM
Colgate's a decent team that played an extremely weak schedule. Their defensive numbers are inflated just like NCAT's in past years. They'd probably be 3-8 with NDSU's schedule and that's being generous. They are going to find out what it's like to play a top tier team this weekend. This will be similar to the Montana State game and over by halftime.That 3-8 team you just referenced just beat JMU.

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2018, 08:38 AM
That 3-8 team you just referenced just beat JMU.

This ain't last year's or 2016 version of JMU. Not to mention the coaching distracted JMU. This will be over in the 1st qtr or 2nd Qtr at the latest.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2018, 08:40 AM
That 3-8 team you just referenced just beat JMU.
This years JMU is not the same as the last 2. Their offense has not been good all year. They turned the ball over 5 times and still nearly beat Colgate at their place.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 08:49 AM
This years JMU is not the same as the last 2. Their offense has not been good all year. They turned the ball over 5 times and still nearly beat Colgate at their place.I get that and maybe they would have been 3-8 in the MVFC but I wouldn't look past them. They appear to be well coached, over achievers, sort of like San Diego but we know how that worked out in the dome.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 09:00 AM
LOL! A team coming to the Fabulous Fargodome for the first time and in the playoffs...spells trouble for Colgate.

Not to dismiss their season as they have had a really good season but it ends this Saturday.

Colgate had better hope for about 4 turnovers from NDSU for them to have a chance.

My prediction
NDSU 42
Colgate 10

Dewey
I think the Bison might have a tough time putting up 40+ on Colgate. Their defense is legit no matter how awful the Patriot League was on offense this year. That said... you're right about the rest of it. First trip to the dome for Colgate and Bison defense is firing on all cylinders over the last month+ means that it'll be tough for Colgate to put up more than 10-14 points without getting some help from turnovers or big special teams plays.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2018, 09:01 AM
I get that and maybe they would have been 3-8 in the MVFC but I wouldn't look past them. They appear to be well coached, over achievers, sort of like San Diego but we know how that worked out in the dome.
Yes they are well coached. They have a decent defense. The stats are just skewed when you actually break down the teams they have played. I am not taking anything away from them, they have had a great season. Much like San Diego they play in a piss poor conference and their OOC is not very strong outside of Army. It is what it is and why I think they will get thumped.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2018, 09:01 AM
The tone of bison fan comments is becoming eerily similar to the season opening CSU game a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gate83
December 3rd, 2018, 09:04 AM
Looking forward to my trip to Fargo! I think Gate fans are realistic about our chances in the game, we'll manage to have a good time regardless. One thing about our squad, they will give an honest effort all afternoon, like they did vs. Army & JMU. Anyway, it should be a fun weekend!

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2018, 09:05 AM
The tone of bison fan comments is becoming eerily similar to the season opening CSU game a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk*prentends not to know what you are talking about. xwhistlex

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 09:12 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI think it is more like the "tone" we had before the YSU game this year and that almost ended badly, the difference now is that we are in playoff time and the focus is different. I don't think they are looking past Colgate, they are pretty good at focusing on the next team on the schedule in the playoffs. When the Bison did lose in the playoffs in 2016, we lost to a better football team at that particular point in time. If nothing weird happens in this game, it should be a blow out but who knows.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2018, 09:13 AM

Big difference comparing the first game of a season in which you are breaking in new players and a team has weeks to prepare for. Why wouldn't we think this will be another rout? What have you seen recently that would make you think this will be a close game? Sorry we are a confident bunch.

Green1
December 3rd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Looking forward to my trip to Fargo! I think Gate fans are realistic about our chances in the game, we'll manage to have a good time regardless. One thing about our squad, they will give an honest effort all afternoon, like they did vs. Army & JMU. Anyway, it should be a fun weekend!

Kudos to you for your support of your team! Fargo is a good time. Hope you maximize your experience by mingling with the green and yellow fans in the tailgate lots. Looking forward to meeting your team's fans!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2018, 09:44 AM

Enjoy your trip!! It's absolutely worth it!

Kramden
December 3rd, 2018, 11:28 AM
I watched the JMU Game Live and a few thoughts:

1) JMU is not very good, compared to recent years. Good Defense but not that elite team. In fact the CAA is not very good this year, they have a lot of good teams but not top tier teams.
2) The Turnovers really did not play into the game. There were really 4 for JMU since the 5th was an end of the half INT. None of the turnovers, IMO, gave Colgate more points as the JMU defense stuffed them, or limited JMU points as they were not in the red zone, and even the turnover by Gate at their 10 Yard Line yielded only 3 points for JMU.
3) Colgate played its normal game, not giving up any big plays on defense and offensively enough to win, Their QB was very rusty in the passing game and missed at least 3 TD passes to wide open receivers. They did show resolve both after the opening second half fumble by having 2 impressive drives to take the lead 20-13, and the end of game drive where they moved the ball when they had to for the game ending field goal.
4) The defense was good, but the last 2 weeks as they have stepped up who they have played, they have yielded yards on the ground but still held Army to under 3oo yards. The JMU game was the first time I saw as many missed tackles as they are a sure tackling team but JMU has better atheltes than what they were used to during the regualr season.
5) NDST is, IMO, an FBS team playing in this FCS Playoff so a totally new level for Colgate. Their Senior Laden team will help Colgate a bit, but as most posters have said, this should not be close. The only real variable will be if NDST pops some big plays it could be like last week. If they simply grind them down like Army, the score might be lower. Either way Colgate will have a lot of trouble moving the ball.
6) Ill save my Eulogy for them untl after the game but this was a special team, and very proud of their accomplishments.
7) At least the Colgate kids will have experienced what it is like to play the best. And I dont see arrogance on this board from the Bison faithful, I see confidence, as they should have. Its a great program and I love the way they play.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 11:31 AM

Has that tone ever changed since then?

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 03:35 PM
Here's an expanded look at the team stats comparison and corresponding national ranks for the teams in this matchup.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4807/45253897485_d7b0e9c0fd_b.jpg

Derby City Duke
December 3rd, 2018, 03:46 PM
I think the Bison might have a tough time putting up 40+ on Colgate. Their defense is legit no matter how awful the Patriot League was on offense this year. That said... you're right about the rest of it. First trip to the dome for Colgate and Bison defense is firing on all cylinders over the last month+ means that it'll be tough for Colgate to put up more than 10-14 points without getting some help from turnovers or big special teams plays.

You guys will run on them the way you did to SHSU last year in the semis. I wish I knew what was going on in the OC's and HC's heads that made us go away from the power running game. We put up 200 yards rushing against a defense giving up 77 ypg -- and decided to balance the offense. Your coaches will stick with the power running game and destroy them. I'll be surprised if you don't put half-a-hundred on 'em.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 03:49 PM
You guys will run on them the way you did to SHSU last year in the semis. I wish I knew what was going on in the OC's and HC's heads that made us go away from the power running game. We put up 200 yards rushing against a defense giving up 77 ypg -- and decided to balance the offense. Your coaches will stick with the power running game and destroy them. I'll be surprised if you don't put half-a-hundred on 'em.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if you're right.

I realize it was against a pretty week schedule but Colgate's defense has put up some amazing numbers. They're first in scoring defense by 5 points per game compared to #2. They're first in total defense by over 35 yards compared to #2. They're first in yards allowed per play by almost half a yard compared to #2. They're first in defensive pass efficiency (80.85) by almost 17 points compared to #2 which is equivalent to the gap between 2nd and 20th.

I think the Bison offense will definitely be tested on Saturday.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2018, 04:28 PM

Watching the JMU/Colgate game, I just shook my head when they went away from the running game.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2018, 04:38 PM

JMU rushing stats last 2 games

39 carries for 200 yards vs Colgate

the week before vs Delaware

46 carries for 93 yards

I'm not saying that Delaware's Defense is as good as Colgate overall but those Colgate Defensive stats fall apart pretty quick outside the Patriot League

Colgate will get the same treatment every other CAA team got in Fargo

ElCid
December 3rd, 2018, 05:09 PM

46 carries for 93 yards

I'm not saying that Delaware's Defense is as good as Colgate overall but those Colgate Defensive stats fall apart pretty quick outside the Patriot League

Well that is true, but they also held Army to 100 yards/game less than their average total offense. So they have been tested at least once besides the Patriot, no, now twice. JMU was on a roll to end the season. Not to mention how they held W&M and NH to less than every CAA playoff teams. I don't doubt NDSU will win though, but it will not be because of Colgate's defense, it will be their Offense that lacks. I am pretty sure this may be the toughest Defense NDSU has seen so far. At least according to the computers any way. It is arguable, but it is a stout defense. Colgate will need to have some balls bounce their way to have any hope. I honestly don't see Colgate scoring more than 7-14. But I don't see NDSU scoring more than 28-31'ish unless Colgate falls totally apart.

AmsterBison
December 3rd, 2018, 05:10 PM

46 carries for 93 yards

DiNucci had a lot of success running against Colgate. Running the QB is something that NDSU saves for the second half of close games. Be interesting to see if they let Stick go.

westdakotabison
December 3rd, 2018, 06:05 PM
I watched some of the Colgate-JMU game. Colgate’s linebackers seemed to play quick and smart. Are they undersized as much as the d-line is? If they are it could be a long game for them.

Colgate Raider Redux
December 3rd, 2018, 06:08 PM
I think you guys will get a kick out of this.

This is the last thing the team digested before going on the field against JMU.

The snow scenes are from Colgate's playoff home games in the 2003 run to the championship game--the last time 'Gate had a home playoff game.

The other clips are from this season.

https://twitter.com/ColgateFB/status/1069231551358148611

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2018, 07:06 PM
I watched some of the Colgate-JMU game. Colgate’s linebackers seemed to play quick and smart. Are they undersized as much as the d-line is? If they are it could be a long game for them.

#21 - 230
#35 - 230
#34 - 205
#41 - 205

They run a 3-4. Both the DL and LB corp are small.

NDSU should run power until Colgate proves they can stop it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2018, 07:29 PM
Any word on DT Cam Rohr (6'1 315)? He was injured against Army and missed the JMU game. I haven't heard anything definitive about what his injury specifically is; just "lower body". Looked like a knee or ankle when he left against Army.

He's a big time difference maker for them.

KPSUL
December 3rd, 2018, 07:41 PM
So far, surprised to see only 90% voters on this poll have picked JMU to win. Of course there are still another 500 Bison-backer AGS posters yet to vote.

dakotadude
December 3rd, 2018, 07:52 PM
I seldom post on this site, but read it often. I watched the Colgate/JMU game. Very impressed with the tackling, especially the one on one tackling of Colgate. Great team discipline, good fundamentals, but Bison have this one. Colgate just doesn't have the offense to stay in this one. That being said, Any Given Saturday is the name of this site and your boys have had a very impressive season. Welcome to Fargo and please come enjoy the tailgating.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2018, 08:03 PM
So far, surprised to see only 90% voters on this poll have picked JMU to win. Of course there are still another 500 Bison-backer AGS posters yet to vote.

JMU still playing?

xchinscratchx

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2018, 08:19 PM
Well that is true, but they also held Army to 100 yards/game less than their average total offense. So they have been tested at least once besides the Patriot, no, now twice. JMU was on a roll to end the season. Not to mention how they held W&M and NH to less than every CAA playoff teams. I don't doubt NDSU will win though, but it will not be because of Colgate's defense, it will be their Offense that lacks. I am pretty sure this may be the toughest Defense NDSU has seen so far. At least according to the computers any way. It is arguable, but it is a stout defense. Colgate will need to have some balls bounce their way to have any hope. I honestly don't see Colgate scoring more than 7-14. But I don't see NDSU scoring more than 28-31'ish unless Colgate falls totally apart.

That is impressive they held Army to 100 below average

I guess you could say JMU was on a roll to end the season but the Towson and Rhode Island defenses were weak on good day, might of given the JMU fans some hope though to see them score some points vs Towson, if Rhode QB Lawson was healthy all year and they could just get a stop against Maine they are a better team than Stony Brook and beat playoff Delaware. Would of liked to have seen Rhode Island play SEMO or even Jacksonville State.....

New Hampshire starting QB was out when they played Colgate as well

It would be a thing of beauty to see the Colgate D hold up against the Bison but I'm not biting

Bison 38 to 7

KPSUL
December 3rd, 2018, 08:19 PM
JMU still playing?

xchinscratchx Mike Houston's departure has got me happily distracted !

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2018, 08:22 PM
DiNucci had a lot of success running against Colgate. Running the QB is something that NDSU saves for the second half of close games. Be interesting to see if they let Stick go.

good point on DiNucci padding the JMU rushing stats

the Bison QB gives them the winning dimension, when all else fails, they just put it in gear with the Stick shift.......big problem for Colgate

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2018, 08:39 PM
For Colgate to have a chance they have to slow down the Bison run game.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/927072-Kolpack-Not-much-changed-for-Bison-running-backs-in-eight-years

Dewey

From the story:

"The Bison are a machine. They’ve been a motorcycle in a bicycle race in the last month."

Sader87
December 3rd, 2018, 08:43 PM
I'll be curious as to how many Colgate faithful make the trek to Fargo.

NDSU1980
December 3rd, 2018, 08:50 PM
Bison win 35-10. I really wouldn't be surprised though if it's tied 10-10 at the end of the first quarter. Bison will step things up once they get settled down and get to work.

NY Crusader 2010
December 3rd, 2018, 09:47 PM
Rooting for fellow Patriot League school Colgate here but just staying respectable will take a Herculean effort this weekend. North Dakota State, if a member of the Big Ten West, would have won that division and played Ohio State two nights ago. That's how good the Bison are. The goldest of the gold standards at the FCS level. That being said, Colgate is not coming straight to Fargo from the Patriot League kiddie pool. The Army team they hung with is a top-40 FBS team and best West Point squad in 22 years. The JMU team they just beat -- say what you want about the turnovers and coaching distraction -- was viewed by many as a Frisco dark horse.

I predict NDSU 31 Colgate 7 -- the Bison simply won't make the mistakes needed to keep Colgate in the game. If they force three-and-outs, the Red Raider defense could get tired in a hurry.

IMO, Colgate would have at least a fighting chance to beat anyone else remaining in the field, home or away. Knocking off NDSU in Fargo would quite simply be the greatest upset in the history of the FCS/I-AA playoffs.

NY Crusader 2010
December 3rd, 2018, 09:57 PM
Great season for Colgate.

Unfortunately it ends here and it won't be pretty.

At this point in time, your insight here is much more likely to be correct than your "Iowa State might score 100 against Drake" inference.

NY Crusader 2010
December 3rd, 2018, 10:04 PM

xdontknowx

Since you were the one who so accurately predicted that there was no way Drake would break 50 yards of total offense against Iowa State's starting defense, you tell us :)

dewey
December 3rd, 2018, 10:40 PM
Here is a post courtesy of SDBison on Bisonville.

So how did Colgate get to be FCS #1 in total defense? They played the following teams, points scored against Colgate, and their total offense ranking at end of season (#1 best, #124 worst):

Holy Cross, 17, #98
New Hampshire, 3, #113
Lafayette, 0, #118
William & Mary, 0, #122
Bucknell, 3, #124
Cornell, 0, #92
Georgetown, 0, #121
Fordham, 0, #119
Lehigh, 6, #106
Army, 28, NA
James Madison, 20, #46

Anyone see a pattern here? They played 6 of the 12 worst offensive teams in FCS. Congrats on shutting most of those teams out. They likely have a good defense, but ranking highly inflated with that schedule.
NDSU total offense is ranked #20. Looking at the few teams ranked above #100 that Colgate played you can guess how many points NDSU will score.

Also of note, Colgate total offense ranked #79. NDSU total defense #8.

This is not meant to insult the Patriot conference teams but the statistics are pretty interesting

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2018, 10:57 PM

So how did Colgate get to be FCS #1 in total defense? They played the following teams, points scored against Colgate, and their total offense ranking at end of season (#1 best, #124 worst):

Holy Cross, 17, #98
New Hampshire, 3, #113
Lafayette, 0, #118
William & Mary, 0, #122
Bucknell, 3, #124
Cornell, 0, #92
Georgetown, 0, #121
Fordham, 0, #119
Lehigh, 6, #106
Army, 28, NA
James Madison, 20, #46

Anyone see a pattern here? They played 6 of the 12 worst offensive teams in FCS. Congrats on shutting most of those teams out. They likely have a good defense, but ranking highly inflated with that schedule.
NDSU total offense is ranked #20. Looking at the few teams ranked above #100 that Colgate played you can guess how many points NDSU will score.

This is not meant to insult the Patriot conference teams but the statistics are pretty interesting

Dewey

They played several terrible teams who especially sucked on offense. That has been well known to those following Colgate all year. With that said, the Raiders smothered them to nearly historic proportions. Outside of going full-on historic Colgate really couldn't have done anything more to prove their worth. This defense would fair well against every team left except the historically great NDSU team in Fargo they're about to face.

It's just nearly an impossible task for Colgate. I would have loved to see them against Kennesaw State since they already faired well against Army. In all honesty, Colgate would have been better off taking their chances in a 1st round home game to avoid a path through Fargo. The 8 seed and bye really wasn't much of a "reward" in terms of chances to advance.

Colgate Raider Redux
December 3rd, 2018, 11:52 PM
I'll be curious as to how many Colgate faithful make the trek to Fargo.
Those that can't-- can catch the 11:00 ESPN national broadcast, along with you and viewers all over the country. The game will suffice for football junkies suddenly suffering from withdrawal due to the void between conference championships and bowl games. I know you don't get the "by-product benefits" of the playoffs. But the sudden seasonal football TV void and the national fascination with the Fargo Dome creates great school brand exposure, all on the NCAA's dime. Thanks, in advance, for watching ( as you always do as you poo-poo the playoffs ) and discussing the game with your fellow Sader sports fans for the week(s) following.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2018, 04:47 AM
Since you were the one who so accurately predicted that there was no way Drake would break 50 yards of total offense against Iowa State's starting defense, you tell us :)

Oh gee, I'm at a loss of words....xrolleyesx

This defensive machine that is Colgate will totally embarrass the Bison this Saturday.

How's that....

BisonBacker
December 4th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Rooting for fellow Patriot League school Colgate here but just staying respectable will take a Herculean effort this weekend. North Dakota State, if a member of the Big Ten West, would have won that division and played Ohio State two nights ago. That's how good the Bison are. The goldest of the gold standards at the FCS level. That being said, Colgate is not coming straight to Fargo from the Patriot League kiddie pool. The Army team they hung with is a top-40 FBS team and best West Point squad in 22 years. The JMU team they just beat -- say what you want about the turnovers and coaching distraction -- was viewed by many as a Frisco dark horse.

I predict NDSU 31 Colgate 7 -- the Bison simply won't make the mistakes needed to keep Colgate in the game. If they force three-and-outs, the Red Raider defense could get tired in a hurry.

IMO, Colgate would have at least a fighting chance to beat anyone else remaining in the field, home or away. Knocking off NDSU in Fargo would quite simply be the greatest upset in the history of the FCS/I-AA playoffs.

I have to disagree here on this point. Yes AGS is true for anybody so to say a fighting chance isn't necessarily wrong however just because you played one FBS team in Army and beat a JMU squad that not only was injury riddled and in the midst of a huge coaching distraction this does not make Colgate into something they are not. Offensively you have a lot of question marks. Defensively it sounds like you are a decent squad but again as has been pointed out adnauseam already the competition has left more than a little to be desired overall. Not trying to dismiss your teams successes just stating facts so don't take this as an insult to the team. I do think EWU, Cal Davis, Weber, SDSU and of course NDSU would have better and in EWU, SDSU and NDSU's case a much better than 50/50 chance at beating Colgate. It is correct to say that you can only play who is on your schedule but the murderers row of offensive juggernauts you have faced falls flat on it's face when compared to most conferences unless you play in the pioneer.

BisonBacker
December 4th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Either way the game turns out best of luck to both teams and let the best team win. Hope that any Colgate fans visiting Fargo enjoy the leadup to the game and the game itself regardless how it turns out.

dewey
December 4th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Here is the Bison Media Blog Colgate preview.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/bison-video-blog-colgate-preview/

Also some Payton award talk and other playoff games.

Dewey

dewey
December 4th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Here is the Monday press conference with NDSU head coach Chris Klieman.

https://youtu.be/-WdTYtMaaW8

Dewey

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Oh gee, I'm at a loss of words....xrolleyesx

This defensive machine that is Colgate will totally embarrass the Bison this Saturday.

How's that....

.....EVEN DUH INCA'S........FED DUH LLAMA.......B/4.....DUH ALTAR.......xwhistlex......AWK!

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Here's an unpopular opinion: based on what each team has done so far this year Colgate is about right on par with SDSU.

That may be proven untrue in the next two weeks but it may not be. Unless you base your opinion on the ultra-subjective eye test you'd have a hard time convincing me that there's a big gap between those two teams right now.

AmsterBison
December 4th, 2018, 07:48 AM
All I know is that Colgate's secondary looked really phenomenal against JMU. And Colgate left a couple TDs on the field by overthrowing some passes.

BisonBacker
December 4th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Here's an unpopular opinion: based on what each team has done so far this year Colgate is about right on par with SDSU.

That may be proven untrue in the next two weeks but it may not be. Unless you base your opinion on the ultra-subjective eye test you'd have a hard time convincing me that there's a big gap between those two teams right now.

You seriously think SDSU an Colgate are similar? WOW. SDSU's offense is far and away better and if you don't see that well that's on you.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 08:00 AM
All I know is that Colgate's secondary looked really phenomenal against JMU. And Colgate left a couple TDs on the field by overthrowing some passes.

...LEFT DAT POOR RECEIVER..........OVERAH DUH MIDDLE......WONDERIN'......FO' WHOM/FO' WHAT.......NOT SPRINTIN'.....FO' DUH FUN UH IT.............AWK!

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 08:03 AM
You seriously think SDSU an Colgate are similar? WOW. SDSU's offense is far and away better and if you don't see that well that's on you.
I think they've produced similar results on the field this year so based on that in overall quality they're roughly the same. If you just want to look at offense you're absolutely right but you're missing half (or more) of the equation in that case.

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2018, 08:28 AM
I think you guys will get a kick out of this.
The snow scenes are from Colgate's playoff home games in the 2003 run to the championship game--the last time 'Gate had a home playoff game.

https://twitter.com/ColgateFB/status/1069231551358148611

Hard to believe, I'm sure, but I don't get a kick out of that ;)

ElCid
December 4th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Holy Cross, 17, #98
New Hampshire, 3, #113
Lafayette, 0, #118
William & Mary, 0, #122
Bucknell, 3, #124
Cornell, 0, #92
Georgetown, 0, #121
Fordham, 0, #119
Lehigh, 6, #106
Army, 28, NA
James Madison, 20, #46

Dewey

That is true, but it "could" be misleading.

For the sake of argument and not necessarily in reality (read that again before anyone posts something stupid), let's say this could be an entirely irrelevant data point since the entire Patriot may have very strong defenses in general. Therefore all their offenses may simply be shut down since they have a strong defensive teams. That is the problem with simply comparing conferences via this one data point, even if there are a couple OOC games thrown in. And we simply do not know the back story of how every game went. Now back to reality; it is true that on average they did play weaker teams, and it may very well point to an easy path in which to pad their stats.

That is why I tend to look at better measures is to see how teams do by looking at their entire schedule to sanity check them and put them in some perspective closer to reality. I will look at other stats as well instead of just "total yards." In Colgate's case it is 5 OOC now and those may also not be real good offenses as well, in yards. But seeing how other teams did against that OOC opponent is revealing as well. But overall they have allowed just 219 yards per game. That is good for any team when you consider an entire season.

So the question is, how much is playing in a weaker conf "worth" in holding opponents to less yards. Should Colgate have allowed only half as many yards as they did for people to acknowledge they have a good defense? Is there some other measure that also points to them simply getting away with holding down opponent's offensive numbers because they played weaker offenses, rather than actually having a good Defense? If NDSU were to play the same schedule, would they be perceived as having padded their defensive numbers all of a sudden because the schedule was weak?

On the flip side, you could say, to a point, that EWU got a lot its gaudy numbers on offense by playing weak defenses. Over half of their opponents are in the bottom third of FCS in total defense (including #82, 86, 91, 101, 123, Div II). Now that would be silly to say, because I have seen them and their offense is good regardless of their competition.

I've watched Colgate play in three games this year and while their defense is not big, and they didn't play the cream of the crop, it is quick, disciplined, and plays smart. It has also held opponents to ridiculous 77 points in 11 games. Again, I don't care what Div I schools you played, that is a good data point. I sure hope the Bison do not buy into this latest dick measuring contest. I'm pretty sure they don't and they will come out loaded for bear.

dewey
December 4th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Good points Elcid.

I am sure what the fans are saying here is not at all what the coaching staff and players are thinking.

The team will be ready to rock and roll Saturday. The Bison are in playoff mode right now and they are a different team in the playoffs.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2018, 08:38 AM

If JMU would have not went away from their power running game, they would have won.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Good points Elcid.

I am sure what the fans are saying here is not at all what the coaching staff and players are thinking.

The team will be ready to rock and roll Saturday. The Bison are in playoff mode right now and they are a different team in the playoffs.

Dewey

This here.

We, as fans, can be as confident as we want. Montana State was suppose to be physical and how did that turn out. Last year Wofford was gojng to match us physically and how did that turn out. Same thing every year. Colgate is good but we'll see how they fair Saturday.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 08:59 AM
This here.

We, as fans, can be as confident as we want. Montana State was suppose to be physical and how did that turn out. Last year Wofford was gojng to match us physically and how did that turn out. Same thing every year. Colgate is good but we'll see how they fair Saturday.
Maybe I'm falling into the "just how crappy was the Patriot League this year?" trap but I don't think Montana St's defense was anything near Colgate's.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Colgate to pull the upset because I don't think their offense is going to be able to put up enough points to keep it competitive but I think the Bison offense might sputter from time to time in this one. If they can hit their scoring average (~42 points) I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Maybe I'm falling into the "just how crappy was the Patriot League this year?" trap but I don't think Montana St's defense was anything near Colgate's.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Colgate to pull the upset because I don't think their offense is going to be able to put up enough points to keep it competitive but I think the Bison offense might sputter from time to time in this one. If they can hit their scoring average (~42 points) I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I fully expect the Bison to have some 3 and outs. Colgate was weak on their defense of JMU's power running up the middle. NDSU is much better than JMU. I bet the Bison will definitely test this.

I'm not worried about the Bison defense and Colgate's offense.

Your right, can the Colgate offense score enough to win?

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Southland officiating crew in this one according to refstripes (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=501c0d4c9d695b143e2f38b0a13d91 f0&topic=14211.msg143754#msg143754). So far in the playoffs Southland crews have worked the Stony Brook/SEMO game and the Duquesne/SDSU game. Those were separate crews working those games but one of those crews will have their 2nd playoff assignment in this one.

NY Crusader 2010
December 4th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I fully expect the Bison to have some 3 and outs. Colgate was weak on their defense of JMU's power running up the middle. NDSU is much better than JMU. I bet the Bison will definitely test this.

I'm not worried about the Bison defense and Colgate's offense.

Your right, can the Colgate offense score enough to win?

I think the key to keeping the game RESPECTABLE will be The Colgate offense managing to avoid successive three-and-outs and at the very least keep them out of horrible field position. Just getting into FG range will be a major win for them. I would be very surprised if they score more than two TDs in this one. Colgate managed to move the ball against Army and put up yards, thus keeping their defense fresh enough to compete. They forced five turnovers against JMU to get off the field and rest. They need to find a way to stay close to even in terms of TOP.

NY Crusader 2010
December 4th, 2018, 10:12 AM

As a PL supporter, I'm probably a bit more bearish than I should be on Colgate but the numbers don't lie. The Red Raiders continually faced bottom-20 defenses during their stretch of immortality. The last two games showed they are more than a pretender but by no means 1938 Duke. To put it in perspective, through 9 games, HC was the best offense Colgate saw all year (they faced UNH without Knight, remember). And this was Holy Cross' worst offensive team since 2004 -- our 56 point showing against Lehigh was against a team that showed up for zero minutes in that monsoon.

Heading into the playoffs, I thought Colgate was on par with a Delaware -- maybe a bit better than that. SDSU has been a perennial Top-5 team for a while now. Forgettable showing against JMU in the playoffs last year -- 10 turnovers??? -- but not putting even a great PL team on equal footing with them yet.

BEAR
December 4th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Southland officiating crew in this one according to refstripes (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=501c0d4c9d695b143e2f38b0a13d91 f0&topic=14211.msg143754#msg143754). So far in the playoffs Southland crews have worked the Stony Brook/SEMO game and the Duquesne/SDSU game. Those were separate crews working those games but one of those crews will have their 2nd playoff assignment in this one.

Oh good grief. :pumpuke: This may be the year NDSU is beaten. It will all be because of officiating. xlolx Please remember Bear told you. They're pathetic. B1G whatever castoffs, rejects. I regularily attend high school football games and they are about the same level in experience and ability to make calls. I'm sorry Bison fans. This may be out of your hands if there is a close call or moment where momentum should swing your way. Geez. NDSU is getting punished with that crew. xlolx

Wait until they spend 15 minutes replaying a possible line to gain first down on a second down play. They stand there looking at each other confused as frick. It's hilarious.

BisonBacker
December 4th, 2018, 10:34 AM
I think they've produced similar results on the field this year so based on that in overall quality they're roughly the same. If you just want to look at offense you're absolutely right but you're missing half (or more) of the equation in that case.

Apple's and orange's my friend. What both did they did to different competition. SDSUs was by far against better competition.

TheKingpin28
December 4th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Oh good grief. :pumpuke: This may be the year NDSU is beaten. It will all be because of officiating. xlolx Please remember Bear told you. They're pathetic. B1G whatever castoffs, rejects. I regularily attend high school football games and they are about the same level in experience and ability to make calls. I'm sorry Bison fans. This may be out of your hands if there is a close call or moment where momentum should swing your way. Geez. NDSU is getting punished with that crew. xlolx

Wait until they spend 15 minutes replaying a possible line to gain first down on a second down play. They stand there looking at each other confused as frick. It's hilarious.

So you're saying I will need more than just Michgolden Light, but Whiskey instead? xlolx

Twentysix
December 4th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Holy Cross has a nice little history with 627 wins. Your upstart is within a 100 of NDSUs 720, but does it really matter? It’s just a game.

rofl

that guy trys to be relevant in so many threads. It's a real shame his university's program is utter dog ****.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I think the key to keeping the game RESPECTABLE will be The Colgate offense managing to avoid successive three-and-outs and at the very least keep them out of horrible field position. Just getting into FG range will be a major win for them. I would be very surprised if they score more than two TDs in this one. Colgate managed to move the ball against Army and put up yards, thus keeping their defense fresh enough to compete. They forced five turnovers against JMU to get off the field and rest. They need to find a way to stay close to even in terms of TOP.

Watching highlights of Colgate the last couple of days, I like their team. Fundamentally sound, good tacklers, take advantage of opportunities, well coached and they are gritty/tough. I'm looking forward to the match up.

It will be loud in the FD and it will be a challenge for them on offense.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 4th, 2018, 12:10 PM
This one will not be pretty.....NDST by 35+

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2018, 12:58 PM

not unpopular at all, I like crazy opinions .....

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 01:26 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29665&stc=1......JES' WONDERIN'..........IS DERE REALLY.....SUCH UH THIN'........AS......LOVELY........LONELY........R USSIAN GIRLS.....xdontknowx.....BRAWK!

Mfergy4
December 4th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Hi All -

First time posting, long time reader. After previewing all the posts on this game I did go and watch the Army/Colgate game. First interesting tidbit, Colgate's first TD came on a defensive hit causing a fumble which #10 returned for a defensive score. Linebackers are quick, make good reads, and stay at home as play develops. One thing I took away was Army never made formation changes while on the line of scrimmage thus Defense was never forced to adjust on the fly. In the Army game Colgate mainly played a 5-man line with 2-Linebackers. Easy to play Defense when the reads are simple.

Offensively, very vanilla offense, running back has explosive speed but does not explode through the hole, offense line has hard time picking up stunts by D-line, wide receivers have good hands and fair speed but route running is fair at best, and the QB's accuracy is fair. QB failed to place the ball in front of the receiver more than half the time which in some cases would have made a modest gain into more.

One other observation; early in the third quarter where the Colgate receiver argued that he had extended the ball over the line of gain; officials reviewed and it clearly showed the receiver never reached the line of gain during the catch and when he thought to extend the ball across was already out-of-bounds...I saw lots of head shaking and angry retorts from Colgate on that call. Might have made the first down IF 1 - ball had been throw in front of the receive instead of behind and 2 - receiver runs route to the line of gain instead of short of it.

Overall, nothing in the Army game stood out that Colgate was ever a threat to Army in the game. Instead, Army controlled the game and did not play rake up the points against an inferior opponent.

AmsterBison
December 4th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Hi All -

First time posting, long time reader. After previewing all the posts on this game I did go and watch the Army/Colgate game. First interesting tidbit, Colgate's first TD came on a defensive hit causing a fumble which #10 returned for a defensive score. Linebackers are quick, make good reads, and stay at home as play develops. One thing I took away was Army never made formation changes while on the line of scrimmage thus Defense was never forced to adjust on the fly. In the Army game Colgate mainly played a 5-man line with 2-Linebackers. Easy to play Defense when the reads are simple.

A. Nice post
B. Is the game on youtube or watchespn?

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Hi All -

Offensively, very vanilla offense, running back has explosive speed but does not explode through the hole, offense line has hard time picking up stunts by D-line, wide receivers have good hands and fair speed but route running is fair at best, and the QB's accuracy is fair. QB failed to place the ball in front of the receiver more than half the time which in some cases would have made a modest gain into more.

One other observation; early in the third quarter where the Colgate receiver argued that he had extended the ball over the line of gain; officials reviewed and it clearly showed the receiver never reached the line of gain during the catch and when he thought to extend the ball across was already out-of-bounds...I saw lots of head shaking and angry retorts from Colgate on that call. Might have made the first down IF 1 - ball had been throw in front of the receive instead of behind and 2 - receiver runs route to the line of gain instead of short of it.

Overall, nothing in the Army game stood out that Colgate was ever a threat to Army in the game. Instead, Army controlled the game and did not play rake up the points against an inferior opponent.

.......OH NO!...........NOT 'NOTHERAH ONE.......xbawlingx.......BRAWK!

Mfergy4
December 4th, 2018, 03:50 PM
A. Nice post
B. Is the game on youtube or watchespn?

I found it on Youtube

Mfergy4
December 4th, 2018, 03:57 PM
.......OH NO!...........NOT 'NOTHERAH ONE.......xbawlingx.......BRAWK!

Careful, you know what happens to a mouthy rooster.......

cx500d
December 4th, 2018, 04:29 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29665&stc=1......JES' WONDERIN'..........IS DERE REALLY.....SUCH UH THIN'........AS......LOVELY........LONELY........R USSIAN GIRLS.....xdontknowx.....BRAWK!

Yes, just dial 1-800-Leavemepenniless to meet them.

dewey
December 4th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Here is an article about Cgate getting ready to come to the Fargodome.

https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/football/4538341-breneman-colgate-prepare-unbelievable-atmosphere-inside-fargodome

Dewey

TheValleyRaider
December 4th, 2018, 05:35 PM
I for one am looking forward to the Raiders' trip. After all, since the start of their title run the Bison have lost more games at home than away. Sounds to me like we've got them right where we want 'em :D