PDA

View Full Version : Ive been in a coma: Whats w the CAA disaster, Furman snub?

Bucs2016
November 29th, 2018, 05:10 AM
I havent had time to follow a lot of ball this season with a new job move to Greenville which kept me busy, but Im catching up on some stuff. PLEASE explain what I missed with this playoff stuff.

Im in Greenville now so I get plenty of Furman news. So they won a three way championship in the SoCon and DIDNT get a playoff spot, yet, the CAA got SIX teams in???? And now the CAA laid duds all over the field?

Ive always felt the playoff committee had a Northern bias. This kinda reinforces it. How does a SoCon Champion get snubbed yet one conference gets SIX! teams in????

This opens an old 2015/2016 wound from when the committee put CSU/Citadel/Wofford/Coastal all facing each other in 1st round same bracket when I felt all those teams were solid top 10 teams during those seasons but knocked each other out in opening rounds.

Looking back I guess at least they let us in because apparently Furman can win a SoCon championship share and not even get in but you can finish .500 in the CAA and get in.

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2018, 05:57 AM
......MUSTAH BEEN UH LIGHT COMA........WHAT'S....LEFT TA TELL YA..........xdontknowx.......BRAWK!

PaladinFan
November 29th, 2018, 06:10 AM
I havent had time to follow a lot of ball this season with a new job move to Greenville which kept me busy, but Im catching up on some stuff. PLEASE explain what I missed with this playoff stuff.

Im in Greenville now so I get plenty of Furman news. So they won a three way championship in the SoCon and DIDNT get a playoff spot, yet, the CAA got SIX teams in???? And now the CAA laid duds all over the field?

Ive always felt the playoff committee had a Northern bias. This kinda reinforces it. How does a SoCon Champion get snubbed yet one conference gets SIX! teams in????

This opens an old 2015/2016 wound from when the committee put CSU/Citadel/Wofford/Coastal all facing each other in 1st round same bracket when I felt all those teams were solid top 10 teams during those seasons but knocked each other out in opening rounds.

Looking back I guess at least they let us in because apparently Furman can win a SoCon championship share and not even get in but you can finish .500 in the CAA and get in.

There are many (too many) posts on this subject.

Long story short, Furman put themselves at the mercy of the committee by not handling their business earlier in the year. Furman's snub, along with Indiana State's, are as best I can tell the two biggest criticisms in this year's field. They selected 24 teams, but perhaps not the 24 best teams.

Bucs2016
November 29th, 2018, 08:18 AM
There are many (too many) posts on this subject.

Long story short, Furman put themselves at the mercy of the committee by not handling their business earlier in the year. Furman's snub, along with Indiana State's, are as best I can tell the two biggest criticisms in this year's field. They selected 24 teams, but perhaps not the 24 best teams.

Sorry if I just kicked a dead horse. Just seems Furman got shafted bad. Any SoCon co-champ should be in.

PaladinFan
November 29th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Sorry if I just kicked a dead horse. Just seems Furman got shafted bad. Any SoCon co-champ should be in.

Especially a SoCon champ who beat the autobid by 3 touchdowns.

But I digress.

BEAR
November 29th, 2018, 09:51 AM
So was the injustice caused by letting 6 CAA teams in or 1 extra SLC team in? A Furman fan seem to think it was that one extra SLC team...even though one lost by 3 points and the other lost their starting QB. xlolx

kalm
November 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Conference affiliation does not matter except for the AQ which Furman did not get. But yes, a slight snub.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Conference affiliation does not matter except for the AQ which Furman did not get. But yes, a slight snub.

10 games, 6-4, and blown out by Elon, a very small snub. #resumesmatter

--from, a voice of reason.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 10:19 AM

Even if they go 0-fer in non-conference games? Not saying Furman didn't have a case to be in this year. However, why should going 0-3 in OOC and then ending in a 3 way tie at 6-2 to finish 6-5 guarantee "any SoCon co-champ" a spot in the field? It has to be a case by case, year by year evaluation. This is why myself and others have stated that playing 2 FBS teams in an 11 game season automatically puts the team behind the 8-ball to run the conference slate or, at most, drop 1 game. Finishing with 7 wins puts you on the bubble, finishing with 6 almost always guarantees you will be left out (this year's unbelievably weak bubble notwithstanding).

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Even if they go 0-fer in non-conference games? Not saying Furman didn't have a case to be in this year. However, why should going 0-3 in OOC and then ending in a 3 way tie at 6-2 to finish 6-5 guarantee "any SoCon co-champ" a spot in the field? It has to be a case by case, year by year evaluation. This is why myself and others have stated that playing 2 FBS teams in an 11 game season automatically puts the team behind the 8-ball to run the conference slate or, at most, drop 1 game. Finishing with 7 wins puts you on the bubble, finishing with 6 almost always guarantees you will be left out (this year's unbelievably weak bubble notwithstanding).

0-2, Colgate was Canx.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 10:32 AM
0-2, Colgate was Canx.

I know. Mine was a hypothetical situation (though I kinda think Colgate would have run 'em, especially how Furman was playing at the start of the year). Just saying that finishing in a 3-way tie in ANY conference shouldn't automatically guarantee a playoff berth for anyone but the team awarded the auto-bid, so I used a realistic but worst-case scenario.

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Furman flat out got robbed of a playoff slot this year by the UCA AD, to some weak Southland teams who's conferences fans seem to think they deserve brownie points just for losing to other very questionable playoff teams in Mt. St. and UNI. Hey at least we beat a scholarship team in the playoffs last year (Elon), something the Southland and their 3 teams won't do this year, they will be 0-3 what a joke league.

Its ok though we got the second best trophy in FCS football outside the natty and we will be back for payback next year xthumbsupx

https://twitter.com/FurmanPaladins/status/1063966200869371905

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Furman flat out got robbed of a playoff slot this year by the UCA AD, to some weak Southland teams who's conferences fans seem to think they deserve brownie points just for losing to other very questionable playoff teams in Mt. St. and UNI. Hey at least we beat a scholarship team in the playoffs last year (Elon), something the Southland and their 3 teams won't do this year, they will be 0-3 what a joke league.

Its ok though we got the second best trophy in FCS football outside the natty and we will be back for payback next year xthumbsupx
https://twitter.com/FurmanPaladins/status/1063966200869371905 (https://twitter.com/FurmanPaladins/status/1063966200869371905?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1063966200869371905&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anygivensaturday.com%2Fsh owthread.php%3F218490-3-Southland-teams-IN%2Fpage24)

Do you actually get a trophy for earning a SHARE of the conference championship, yet losing the tie-breaker rules??? Pics or it didn't happen.

Sycamore62
November 29th, 2018, 10:39 AM
you spelled Indiana State wrong

edit: in my sarcasm, i see where you mentioned them. carry on

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 10:39 AM
10 games, 6-4, and blown out by Elon, a very small snub. #resumesmatter

--from, a voice of reason.

Sure beats 6-5 and blown out by crap Youngstown in UNI's case xthumbsupx

To me the joke teams in were Incompetent Word, Lame-ar and UNI

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Even if they go 0-fer in non-conference games? Not saying Furman didn't have a case to be in this year. However, why should going 0-3 in OOC and then ending in a 3 way tie at 6-2 to finish 6-5 guarantee "any SoCon co-champ" a spot in the field?
1) Furman was 6-4 overall & 0-2 OOC with a canceled OOC game
2) UIW was “0-fer in non-conference games” - at-large bid
3) Lamar was “0-fer in non-conference games” vs. D1 - at-large bid
4) EWU was “0-fer in non-conference games” vs. D1 (not counting NAU win as OOC) - at-large bid AND #3 Seed

Sitting Bull
November 29th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Maybe it had something to do with getting blown out by CAA bubble team, Elon, 45-0.

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Do you actually get a trophy for earning a SHARE of the conference championship, yet losing the tie-breaker rules??? Pics or it didn't happen.

Is this a serious question? Of course we get a beautiful trophy and we put the score FU 34 Wofford 14 on it xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Maybe it had something to do with getting blown out by CAA bubble team, Elon, 45-0.

a) wrong score
b) missing QB
c) everything came full circle in the end, we killed Wofford and then Wofford laid the smack down on Elon xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 10:52 AM
If this guy was healthy for the entire season we most likely challenge NDSU for the Natty xthumbsupxxsmiley_wix

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1067853962613792768

SU DOG
November 29th, 2018, 10:59 AM
......MUSTAH BEEN UH LIGHT COMA........WHAT'S....LEFT TA TELL YA..........xdontknowx.......BRAWK!

LOL LOL MR. CHICKEN!

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 11:01 AM
4) EWU was “0-fer in non-conference games” vs. D1 (not counting NAU win as OOC) - at-large bid AND #3 Seed

Not sure why you quoted my post, as it has NOTHING to do with anything you said. My post (which was hypothetical and didn't state anything about 2018 FU other than to acknowledge Furman DID have an argument to earn a berth) related to the asinine thinking that finishing in a THREE WAY TIED for ANY conference should automatically earn a team a playoff berth. Resumes matter, as does the strength of a conference in any given year. I'm not here to debate a ****ing perceived snub from nearly 2 weeks ago. Move on with your life, bud. Or get one.

PaladinFan
November 29th, 2018, 11:07 AM
a) wrong score
b) missing QB
c) everything came full circle in the end, we killed Wofford and then Wofford laid the smack down on Elon xthumbsupx

There is no question that Elon's weak finish hurt Furman.

I do not think there is any dispute that the Elon team Furman saw in Week 2 is not the same one that limped into the postseason and lost to Wofford. It is also true that the Furman team that Elon played in Week 2 isn't the same on that won six of their last seven.

Both teams can point to injuries as "excuses" for their struggles - Furman at the beginning of the year and Elon at the end. The game happened, Furman played poorly, and lost. Every team can probably justify every loss.

Besides, in my view, it is not the Elon game that scuttled Furman's chances, it was the ETSU game. Win that contest (in which Furman held a sizeable lead late), and Furman is the autobid and sole conference champion. That fall apart was on the level of the Falcons two years ago in the SuperBowl. All Furman needed was someone to make one play on either side of the ball and the Paladins win that game. Just didn't happen.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Is this a serious question? Of course we get a beautiful trophy and we put the score FU 34 Wofford 14 on it xthumbsupx

Man... they give participation trophies out in the SoCon? Good for you, lil buddy. Are you also gonna put ETSU 29 FU 27 and Samford 38 FU 25 on it? At least you'll have a trophy (that 2 others also have) to remember the athletic excellence displayed in 2018!!

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 11:10 AM
It was 45-7, but you are right, it an was early-season disastrous blow out that, I’m sure, impacted FU’s chances of an at-large bid quite a bit.

That said...

* At-Large 6-5 UNI was blown out 31-10 by 4-7 non-Playoff YSU in the next-to-last week of the season & lost 2 of their last 4 games.
* At-Large 7-4 Stony Brook lost to 3-8 non-Playoff CAA Albany in the final week of the season
* At-Large 7-4 Delaware was blown out by 5-6 non-Playoff CAA Villanova in the final week of the season
* At-Large 7-4 Towson lost 3 of their last 4 games to other CAA Playoff Teams, 1 of those to CAA bubble Team, Delaware

Hard to say that FU’s loss to Elon, that YOU CALLED OUT, was that much worse than any of those 4, isn’t it?

REASON FOR ALL CAPS: FUBeAR ain’t on here whinin’ & cryin’ about Furman not making the Playoffs. Don’t play like a bunch of candy-a$$e$ @ Elon & don’t soil the 4th quarter linens @ ETSU and there’s no issue. But, FUBeAR will respond to others’ assertions AND FUBeAR does have questions about 6 CAA Teams IN, 3 Big Sky Teams seeded, and the selections of UIW/Lamar. No issues with UNI, SEMO, & Montana State being IN. And I agree that ISUb peeps should have questions as well.

bobcathpdevil56
November 29th, 2018, 11:19 AM
We had discussions about how Furman should've been in and got screwed??? Prove it, let me see the threads

kalm
November 29th, 2018, 11:19 AM

EWU was 2-1 in non-conference games. The CWU win is on par with the best OOC win for the entire SoCon this season. xlolx

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Not sure why you quoted my post, as it has NOTHING to do with anything you said. My post (which was hypothetical and didn't state anything about 2018 FU other than to acknowledge Furman DID have an argument to earn a berth) related to the asinine thinking that finishing in a THREE WAY TIED for ANY conference should automatically earn a team a playoff berth. Resumes matter, as does the strength of a conference in any given year. I'm not here to debate a ****ing perceived snub from nearly 2 weeks ago. Move on with your life, bud. Or get one.

Even if they go 0-for in non-conference games?...why should going 0-3 in OOC and then ending in a 3 way tie at 6-2 to finish 6-5 guarantee "any SoCon co-champ" a spot in the field?

Sure doesn’t read as “hypothetical.”

And what I quoted is CLEARLY directly related to what you said. So the answer to your (maybe) hypothetical question is, “Yes”...3 Teams that went “0-fer in non-conference games” vs. D1 competition were extended at-large bids, with one of those even getting a high seed. Your point seemed to be that such an OOC record would eliminate a Team from consideration, and, obviously, it did not.

With regard to your last lines, the content of your posts certainly belie those typed words...and please go to the end of my prior post to see what I’m here to do and not do, bud.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 11:37 AM
EWU was 2-1 in non-conference games. The CWU win is on par with the best OOC win for the entire SoCon this season. xlolx
#FakeNews

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Furman really hurt themselves, really. I think they just didn't show up against Elon. Everyone is injured at this point of the year. I know Elon had injuries at QB and HB, but the backup QB had one of his best games against us and his completion percentage was about what Cheek managed. Going into the game, the backup RB had like 7 ypc. I think the game is a little different with Cheek playing, but I'm skeptical of how much. We really did shut down Elon's run game to like 4 ypc and 150 yards less than their season average.

Wofford would have been a harder matchup for Elon than Furman anyway. Wofford had a better defense than Furman did this year, especially on the interior. Cheek was a better QB than Thompson, but he wasn't yet among the nation's elite statistically. Again, if he plays maybe it's a different game, but because Elon leaned so heavily on their run game (btw their OL was legit and we still held them to less than 2 ypc) just as a matter of strategy, it was going to be a better matchup for Wofford than Furman.

Maybe if Roberts plays against Elon, they don't turn the ball over as much, milk some clock and get some relief against Elon and it's a closer game. But I really just think Furman came out and laid an egg like every team does at least once a season.

Elon was a good team this year. Definitely better than the CAA teams who didn't show up in the playoffs. They played tough defense, ran the ball well and usually passed the ball with relative efficiency. But I think a lot of people overhyped how good they were because they overhyped JMU (who is not where they were the last 2 seasons) and they whalloped Furman when they didn't show up. The only team that's elite above all else is NDSU this year. Everyone else is at relative parity, and those games come down to matchups and where you are mentally. To Elon's credit and coaching, they were "in" pretty much every ball game but Towson. They lost to Wofford because of matchups and injuries (I think the QB injury was more consequential than any other).

But I don't think they were 38 points better on average than the average output of Furman this year. And that's Furman's fault.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Sure doesn’t read as “hypothetical.”

And what I quoted is CLEARLY directly related to what you said. So the answer to your (maybe) hypothetical question is, “Yes”...3 Teams that went “0-fer in non-conference games” vs. D1 competition were extended at-large bids, with one of those even getting a high seed. Your point seemed to be that such an OOC record would eliminate a Team from consideration, and, obviously, it did not.

With regard to your last lines, the content of your posts certainly belie those typed words...and please go to the end of my prior post to see what I’m here to do and not do, bud.

I'm sorry reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, but given that NO SOCON CHAMP WENT 0-3 NOR FINISHED 6-5 THIS YEAR, it should have at least hinted that it was hypothetical. Not only that, but my initial post brought up scheduling 2 FBS in an 11-game year, which clearly refers to a possibility for FU NEXT YEAR. This was then made clear in a follow-up post made prior to your initial post. I get it, sometimes we reply to a comment without reading to the end of the thread so not real concerned.

What I am concerned about is that you still keep glossing over what my post is CLEARLY saying... I'll say it slow so that even you can understand it... FINISHING IN A 3-WAY TIE FOR A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP DOES NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM GUARANTEE A PLAYOFF SPOT. ****, I even bolded the part I was replying to in my first post. Keep crying til next season starts tho. The tears taste good.

kalm
November 29th, 2018, 11:52 AM
#FakeNews

Ah yes...the last bastion for those who have no argument. xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, but given that NO SOCON CHAMP WENT 0-3 NOR FINISHED 6-5 THIS YEAR, it should have at least hinted that it was hypothetical. This was then made clear in a follow-up post made prior to your initial post. I get it, sometimes we reply to a comment without reading to the end of the thread so not real concerned.

What I am concerned about is that you still keep glossing over what my post is CLEARLY saying... I'll say it slow so that even you can understand it... FINISHING IN A 3-WAY TIE FOR A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP DOES NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM GUARANTEE A PLAYOFF SPOT. ****, I even bolded the part I was replying to in my first post. Keep crying til next season starts tho. The tears taste good.Are you unable to express your ideas without being a total douche? Maybe not.

Anyway...agree with you about the Champ thing...like, who was it?....Lehigh, last year...Champs with losing record. If anyone had tied them with better record, hopefully the other team would own autobid..and Lehigh, Co-Champ out. No bid.

Never said otherwise.

Part of your post dealt with that and part addressed having an “0-fer” OOC records. That OOC record is what I addressed and ALL I addressed. You are interpolating so much more into my comments for some reason.

I guess doing so enables you to expand upon the douchiness of your responses.

OK, I can see that makes you feel good somehow. Rock on...bud.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Ah yes...the last bastion for those who have no argument. xthumbsupx#Abdication

Why does no one ever mention the first bastion?

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Are you unable to express your ideas without being a total douche? Maybe not.

Anyway...agree with you about the Champ thing...like, who was it?....Lehigh, last year...Champs with losing record. If anyone had tied them with better record, hopefully the other team would own autobid..and Lehigh, Co-Champ out. No bid.

Never said otherwise.

Part of your post dealt with that and part addressed having an “0-fer” OOC records. That OOC record is what I addressed and ALL I addressed. You are interpolating so much more into my comments for some reason.

I guess doing so enables you to expand upon the douchiness of your responses.

OK, I can see that makes you feel good somehow. Rock on...bud.

Just don't like how much you and FUgamebreaker keep having to rehash (read: $#it on) every post because Furman may have been snubbed. So you are goddamned right I'm intentionally being a douche to you. Because you're a crybaby whiner that needs to move on from the 2018 season. Let it go. Seek therapy. Anything.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Just don't like how much you and FUgamebreaker keep having to rehash (read: $#it on) every post because Furman may have been snubbed. So you are goddamned right I'm intentionally being a douche to you. Because you're a crybaby whiner that needs to move on from the 2018 season. Let it go. Seek therapy. Anything.
Please re-read MY posts. You are absolutely mistaken. Ahh...what the heck, I’ll try 1 more time, but ONLY read what I type; not what you think I might be typing or want me to be typing.

1) Furman had a legitimate argument to be included in this year’s Playoff field.
2) There were certainly legitimate reasons to exclude Furman from this year’s Playoff field.
3) Furman screwed themselves by getting totally punked by Elon & ghosting the 4th quarter @ ETSU.
4) ISUb is the other Team that has at least 1) (above)...and maybe 2) & 3) also...don’t know.
5) EKU may have an argument also, not too sure about that one.
6) I have questions as to how the selection committee arrived at the following decisions:
....a) 5 CAA At-Large bids
....b) 3 Big Sky Teams seeded
....c) selection of UIW for an At-Large bid
....d) selection of Lamar for an At-Large bid

I will RESPOND (only respond; not initiate) to posts that I see related to these issues.

So....if this gets you all douchy...then douche on. Everyone should do what they are good at doing...bud.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Please re-read MY posts. You are absolutely mistaken. Ahh...what the heck, I’ll try 1 more time, but ONLY read what I type; not what you think I might be typing or want me to be typing.

1) Furman had a legitimate argument to be included in this year’s Playoff field.
2) There were certainly legitimate reasons to exclude Furman from this year’s Playoff field.
3) Furman screwed themselves by getting totally punked by Elon & ghosting the 4th quarter @ ETSU.
4) ISUb is the other Team that has at least 1) (above)...and maybe 2) & 3) also...don’t know.
6) I have questions as to how the selection committee arrived at the following decisions:

I will RESPOND (only respond; not initiate) to posts that I see related to these issues.

So....if this gets you all douchy...then douche on. Everyone should do what they are good at doing...bud.
Before last week I didn't think EKU was in anyway shape or form a snub, but if I'm a Colonel fan and JSU and SEMO win this weekend, I'd start to feel a little upset.

PaladinFan
November 29th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Furman really hurt themselves, really. I think they just didn't show up against Elon. Everyone is injured at this point of the year. I know Elon had injuries at QB and HB, but the backup QB had one of his best games against us and his completion percentage was about what Cheek managed. Going into the game, the backup RB had like 7 ypc. I think the game is a little different with Cheek playing, but I'm skeptical of how much. We really did shut down Elon's run game to like 4 ypc and 150 yards less than their season average.

Wofford would have been a harder matchup for Elon than Furman anyway. Wofford had a better defense than Furman did this year, especially on the interior. Cheek was a better QB than Thompson, but he wasn't yet among the nation's elite statistically. Again, if he plays maybe it's a different game, but because Elon leaned so heavily on their run game (btw their OL was legit and we still held them to less than 2 ypc) just as a matter of strategy, it was going to be a better matchup for Wofford than Furman.

Maybe if Roberts plays against Elon, they don't turn the ball over as much, milk some clock and get some relief against Elon and it's a closer game. But I really just think Furman came out and laid an egg like every team does at least once a season.

Elon was a good team this year. Definitely better than the CAA teams who didn't show up in the playoffs. They played tough defense, ran the ball well and usually passed the ball with relative efficiency. But I think a lot of people overhyped how good they were because they overhyped JMU (who is not where they were the last 2 seasons) and they whalloped Furman when they didn't show up. The only team that's elite above all else is NDSU this year. Everyone else is at relative parity, and those games come down to matchups and where you are mentally. To Elon's credit and coaching, they were "in" pretty much every ball game but Towson. They lost to Wofford because of matchups and injuries (I think the QB injury was more consequential than any other).

But I don't think they were 38 points better on average than the average output of Furman this year. And that's Furman's fault.

As I noted in the leadup, Elon is a bad matchup against Wofford. The things the Phoenix do well offensively basically play right into what Wofford does well defensively. There's no question that Wofford did not see Elon at full tilt. I've seen Elon at full tilt.

I don't know what would have happened if Roberts played in that game. He was the best QB on Furman's team and set a school record for passing efficiency. My guess is it would have been a much closer game. Every time Roberts played, Furman put up points. When he didn't, we generally didn't.

Frankly, if you take any FCS teams' top QB off the field, there is going to be an issue against a good defensive team. Furman's problem wasn't that Elon's offense was so good, but that Furman's offense couldn't get anything going and stay on the field. I think you saw how good Elon's defense is, which held Wofford's offense under 20. It isn't surprising Furman struggled to score with a young offense led by a true freshman QB in his first collegiate start.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 01:26 PM

Again... your reading comprehension is terrible. I'm not debating Furman's playoff merits this year vs. other teams, because this horse has been beat to death several times over. My point and ONLY POINT in direct response to the bolded part of Buc2016's post.... finishing in a 3 way tie for the conference championship DOES NOT GUARANTEE A TEAM A PLAYOFF BERTH. Not in 2018, not 2017, not 2019, not any year. Not in the SoCon, not in the Big Sky, not in the MVFC, not any conference. I really don't know how I can be more clear on this. Did you actually GRADUATE from Furman??? Or just a fan?

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I know. Mine was a hypothetical situation (though I kinda think Colgate would have run 'em, especially how Furman was playing at the start of the year). Just saying that finishing in a 3-way tie in ANY conference shouldn't automatically guarantee a playoff berth for anyone but the team awarded the auto-bid, so I used a realistic but worst-case scenario.

Sorry. Missed that.

Bucs2016
November 29th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Im sorry, but I put fuel on this fire with this thread. And Im just saying that no one will EVER convince me that the SoCon champ, 1 way 2 way or 3 way....can be excluded. The SoCon is always one of the top 2-3 conferences in America. Always has been. In a field of 24, absolutely no way a 3-way Championship in the SoCon shouldnt see all 3 in. I wouldnt say the same about my conference the Big South. Or most.

But the SoCon should get 3 if all 3 win a share. And the CAA...or ANY conference...should NEVER ever ever get to take 25% of the entire 24 team field. Thats just absurd.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Again... your reading comprehension is terrible. I'm not debating Furman's playoff merits this year vs. other teams, because this horse has been beat to death several times over. My point and ONLY POINT in direct response to the bolded part of Buc2016's post.... finishing in a 3 way tie for the conference championship DOES NOT GUARANTEE A TEAM A PLAYOFF BERTH. Not in 2018, not 2017, not 2019, not any year. Not in the SoCon, not in the Big Sky, not in the MVFC, not any conference. I really don't know how I can be more clear on this. Did you actually GRADUATE from Furman??? Or just a fan?douche on...bud

Good luck to the Bobcats Saturday. Pulling for them to be natural born world shakers!

uni88
November 29th, 2018, 02:34 PM
FUBeAR: it's cold right now.
MSUBobcat: it will be warm next summer.
FUBeAR: I'm right douche.
MSUBobcat: I'm right and you have no reading comprehension.

You're both arguing about different things so you can both be right.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 02:38 PM

I think we need a video replay to see if there is definitive evidence. FuBear will love that one.

uni88
November 29th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Im sorry, but I put fuel on this fire with this thread. And Im just saying that no one will EVER convince me that the SoCon champ, 1 way 2 way or 3 way....can be excluded. The SoCon is always one of the top 2-3 conferences in America. Always has been. In a field of 24, absolutely no way a 3-way Championship in the SoCon shouldnt see all 3 in. I wouldnt say the same about my conference the Big South. Or most.

But the SoCon should get 3 if all 3 win a share. And the CAA...or ANY conference...should NEVER ever ever get to take 25% of the entire 24 team field. Thats just absurd.

Judging by playoff selection, the committee obviously thinks the CAA, Big Sky and MVFC are better than the SoCon. They also appear to think the Southland is similar or a little better. So the 2018 SoCon is the 4th/5th best conference using that metric.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 02:45 PM
douche on...bud

Good luck to the Bobcats Saturday. Pulling for them to be natural born world shakers!

Soooooo... did NOT graduate. Roger that. Hopefully I spoke slow enough that you finally realized I didn't argue a single time whether Furman should or should not have been in the playoffs this year.

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2018, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I don't think there's any objective evidence you can point to that the SoCon is one of the top 2-3 conferences. Not for the past few years. If you amend that to the top 4-5, I think I could get on board.

5-10 years ago? And beyond? Almost certainly.

As has been pointed out multiple times, a share of a conference title has never meant an automatic bid for the playoffs. Likely never will. If you don't win the auto-bid, then your resume better be strong enough to stand on its own. A share of a conference title (any conference) won't do it without the resume to back it up.

And based on resume, Furman was on the bubble. When you're on the bubble, you have to accept the decision of the committee and move on. Sucks sometimes, but the only way to avoid that is don't put yourself on the bubble.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 02:48 PM

About summed it up. She's arguing with me about something I never stated in this thread. Not sure where she's coming up with it, as I would agree Furple has a better case than UIW at a minimum.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Judging by playoff selection, the committee obviously thinks the CAA, Big Sky and MVFC are better than the SoCon. They also appear to think the Southland is similar or a little better. So the 2018 SoCon is the 4th/5th best conference using that metric.

Also for reference, Sagarin's ratings has them at #4: MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, then Southern (followed up by Ivy, Ohio Valley, Southland, then Big South)

thebootfitter
November 29th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Soooooo... did NOT graduate. Roger that. Hopefully I spoke slow enough that you finally realized I didn't argue a single time whether Furman should or should not have been in the playoffs this year.Ha ha! I don't care either way, but from an independent third party perspective, your comments on this thread are pretty douchey. I'm guessing someone pissed in both your oatmeal bowls this morning. Amiright???

😜

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I don't think there's any objective evidence you can point to that the SoCon is one of the top 2-3 conferences. Not for the past few years. If you amend that to the top 4-5, I think I could get on board.

5-10 years ago? And beyond? Almost certainly.

As has been pointed out multiple times, a share of a conference title has never meant an automatic bid for the playoffs. Likely never will. If you don't win the auto-bid, then your resume better be strong enough to stand on its own. A share of a conference title (any conference) won't do it without the resume to back it up.

And based on resume, Furman was on the bubble. When you're on the bubble, you have to accept the decision of the committee and move on. Sucks sometimes, but the only way to avoid that is don't put yourself on the bubble.

^^^THIS.

Performing poorly in OOC matters. Tying for a conference championship in a year when the conference is down matters. How other teams have performed with their schedules matters. A co-championship only gets you a shiny conference trophy (apparently) to put in the case.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Ha ha! I don't care either way, but from an independent third party perspective, your comments on this thread are pretty douchey. I'm guessing someone pissed in both your oatmeal bowls this morning. Amiright???

I've seen enough of this guy (and Gamebreaker) turning into every thread to a "Furman got screwed" debate. I have an extremely low tolerance for stupid. For what it's worth, I toned it down a bunch. I'm a much, much bigger a$$hole when I'm not able to edit before I say things.

fc97
November 29th, 2018, 03:02 PM
The question of 6 CAA teams is a good one, but I don't think a CAA team was the last one in. Elon and Wofford aside. Wofford played a good game, won the game and won the matchup, but it was still a good game. Plus with Elon, I don't think you can claim NE bias, Elon, even in the CAA, isn't viewed as a NE team.

Question comes down to, with how Stony Brook and Towson played, were they the ones that should have been questioned being in. Towson I think had to be in. Stony Brook on the other hand, didn't play many of the top CAA teams.

Honestly, I think had to Colgate game happened and Furman had won, Furman would have been in over Incarnate Word. If Furman had lost to Colgate, I think you'd be having this conversation still. IT is really hard to say.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 03:10 PM
MSUBobcat: it’s cold right now (hypothetically (though unstated as hypothetical)), and it will be warm next summer

FUBeAR: it's not cold right now. It’s 65 degrees.

MSUBobcat: I SAID IT WILL BE WARM NEXT SUMMER (insult, insult, insult). The cold comment was hypothetical (insult, insult, insult).

FUBeAR: I agree with you about next summer. It didn’t seem that you meant hypothetically cold right now though; so I addressed that point. You are acting like a douche.

MSUBobcat: I'm right and you have no reading comprehension. Insult, insult, insult.

Your conclusion is spot on and your re-casting is pretty darn close...made a few edits to enhance your accuracy.

MSUBobcat
November 29th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Your conclusion is spot on and your re-casting is pretty darn close...made a few edits to enhance your accuracy.

Goddamn, you whine and cry more than a woman on her period. Wait... is that what your problem is? Pardon me, madam, for my insensitivity to your physical ailment.

Derby City Duke
November 29th, 2018, 04:18 PM
xslapfightx xpopcornx

Catbooster
November 29th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Before last week I didn't think EKU was in anyway shape or form a snub, but if I'm a Colonel fan and JSU and SEMO win this weekend, I'd start to feel a little upset.
I'm pretty sure the committee couldn't look at the results of last week and this coming weekend before making their choices, so it's a little late to feel upset then. Just what we need - another fan base upset 2 weeks after the selection show.
xsmiley_wix

cx500d
November 29th, 2018, 05:33 PM

im not sure if you heard this news about Furman yet so I’ll put it as gently as I can:

Furman....SUCKS

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 05:39 PM
im not sure if you heard this news about Furman yet so I’ll put it as gently as I can:

Furman....SUCKSthis is a serious matter.

citdog’s representatives will be filing a trademark infringement suit upon you by the end of this week.

Press 1 now to speak to the agent about this matter and avoid freezing of your social media & assets.

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 08:10 PM
I've seen enough of this guy (and Gamebreaker) turning into every thread to a "Furman got screwed" debate. I have an extremely low tolerance for stupid. For what it's worth, I toned it down a bunch. I'm a much, much bigger a$$hole when I'm not able to edit before I say things.

This is a good example of someone who is a moron calling someone else stupid, nice xthumbsupx

Redbird 4th & short
November 29th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Sure beats 6-5 and blown out by crap Youngstown in UNI's case xthumbsupx

To me the joke teams in were Incompetent Word, Lame-ar and UNI

dude ... at season end, UNI was 6-5 against the #1 ranked SOS and won by avg score of 27.4 to 21.9 and went 5-3 in MVFC. Furman was 6-4 against the 24th ranked SOS with avg score of 27.2 to 28.2 .. meaning, Furman was out-scored by avg of 1 per game. So UNI's 6-5 makes them a joke team .. it's that simple ? Furmans 6-4 vs UNI's 6-5 .... and Furman got "robbed" and UNI is a "joke" ... really ??

Ok so even giving you guys your canceled game and credit for win ... at 7-4, you don't think SOS makes any possible difference .. like a 1 game difference over course of season ?

Furman certainly deserved consideration at 6-4 against the 24th ranked SOS. but ISUb was 6-4 against the 18th ranked SOS, and was 5-3 in MVFC play, so was probably next in line. Furman's spot should have been considered along side ETSU, IW, and Lamar. Lamar was on a nice 6-0 run, so maybe IW or ETSU should have been left home for Furman .... but be real, it was very close between all those teams. Furman didn't get "robbed", though should have been at least mentioned, if not picked, as bubble team. Obviously it hurt to have game against W&M canceled .. assuming you could have won.

cx500d
November 29th, 2018, 09:14 PM
This is a good example of someone who is a moron calling someone else stupid, nice xthumbsupx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GGieExGnm0

FUGameBreaker
November 30th, 2018, 11:21 AM
dude ... at season end, UNI was 6-5 against the #1 ranked SOS and won by avg score of 27.4 to 21.9 and went 5-3 in MVFC. Furman was 6-4 against the 24th ranked SOS with avg score of 27.2 to 28.2 .. meaning, Furman was out-scored by avg of 1 per game. So UNI's 6-5 makes them a joke team .. it's that simple ? Furmans 6-4 vs UNI's 6-5 .... and Furman got "robbed" and UNI is a "joke" ... really ??

Ok so even giving you guys your canceled game and credit for win ... at 7-4, you don't think SOS makes any possible difference .. like a 1 game difference over course of season ?

Furman certainly deserved consideration at 6-4 against the 24th ranked SOS. but ISUb was 6-4 against the 18th ranked SOS, and was 5-3 in MVFC play, so was probably next in line. Furman's spot should have been considered along side ETSU, IW, and Lamar. Lamar was on a nice 6-0 run, so maybe IW or ETSU should have been left home for Furman .... but be real, it was very close between all those teams. Furman didn't get "robbed", though should have been at least mentioned, if not picked, as bubble team. Obviously it hurt to have game against W&M canceled .. assuming you could have won.

All good, my main grip has been with the 2 undeserving Southland teams Incompetent Word and Lame-ar, the UCA AD rigged the game
Plus its no coincidence Nich. St. got the game against non-scholarship San Diego
He turned FCS selection process into a joke

BEAR
November 30th, 2018, 01:10 PM
All good, my main grip has been with the 2 undeserving Southland teams Incompetent Word and Lame-ar, the UCA AD rigged the game
Plus its no coincidence Nich. St. got the game against non-scholarship San Diego
He turned FCS selection process into a joke

Post it again. We'll all believe it then. We promise. xcoffeex

FUGameBreaker
November 30th, 2018, 03:59 PM

Say whatever helps you sleep mate, but the truth is in broad daylight (and I am certain you know that despite whatever front you want to put up) and it could not be anymore disturbing for FCS
At this point the proof is in the pudding as the Southland did a big ole whiff with 3 teams this year (even more so after this Saturday), UCA AD if he is still on the committee in the future won't be able to pull a fast one like that ever again xthumbsupx

BEAR
November 30th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Say whatever helps you sleep mate, but the truth is in broad daylight (and I am certain you know that despite whatever front you want to put up) and it could not be anymore disturbing for FCS
At this point the proof is in the pudding as the Southland did a big ole whiff with 3 teams this year (even more so after this Saturday), UCA AD if he is still on the committee in the future won't be able to pull a fast one like that ever again xthumbsupx

uni88
November 30th, 2018, 04:42 PM
All good, my main gripes have been with the 2 undeserving Southland teams Incompetent Word and Lame-ar, the UCA AD rigged the game.

Plus its no coincidence Nich. St. got the game against non-scholarship San Diego.

Plus plus, Elvis shot JFK.

Plus plus plus, the moon landing was staged.

Plus plus plus plus, the Israelis blew up the Twin Towers.

Plus plus plus plus plus, my mom took away my Xbox and won't give it back until I start doing my chores rather than playing Fortnite

FYP