PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern @ Citadel tonight!! Here to eat my crow I guess

Bucs2016
November 29th, 2018, 04:58 AM
Havent posted all season long. CSU collapsed. After the atrocious Savannah State game I stopped watching. New AD from Liberty, fresh NCAA sanctions...who knows, may be a head coaching change soon, maybe not. I like Coach Tucker but man, to go from winning the Big South and taking North Dakota State to overtime....to losing to Savannah State, in just 2 years....thats just too big of a collapse.

EITHER WAY.....its CSU vs Citadel day. Its at Citadel. CSU has a 4 game win streak, but havent played this game since the 2015 playoff. I talked immense trash during that run, before the games and after.

Well Im here to eat my crow because I dont see how CSU wins tonight. Citadel has fallen off a lot also, but they lost most of their games this year by very slim margins, almost all within 1 score. CSU on the other hand....well we were close in some like Elon and hammered by some like Kennessaw. Our offense never seems consistent and the D never truly replaced the stars from the D of 2014-2016.

We have a pretty good secondary but vs Citadel it wont matter much since they’re triple option. Our QB is mobile and he’ll make some plays but our run game wont do much vs a pretty good Citadel DL. Our O is inconsistent and its gonna be cold, yes, cold in Charleston!

Citadel probably grinds us down, 300+ rushing and stifles our offense. Prediction Citadel 31 CSU 17.

I prefer my crow in a spicy curry please.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Havent posted all season long. CSU collapsed. After the atrocious Savannah State game I stopped watching. New AD from Liberty, fresh NCAA sanctions...who knows, may be a head coaching change soon, maybe not. I like Coach Tucker but man, to go from winning the Big South and taking North Dakota State to overtime....to losing to Savannah State, in just 2 years....thats just too big of a collapse.

EITHER WAY.....its CSU vs Citadel day. Its at Citadel. CSU has a 4 game win streak, but havent played this game since the 2015 playoff. I talked immense trash during that run, before the games and after.

Well Im here to eat my crow because I dont see how CSU wins tonight. Citadel has fallen off a lot also, but they lost most of their games this year by very slim margins, almost all within 1 score. CSU on the other hand....well we were close in some like Elon and hammered by some like Kennessaw. Our offense never seems consistent and the D never truly replaced the stars from the D of 2014-2016.

We have a pretty good secondary but vs Citadel it wont matter much since they’re triple option. Our QB is mobile and he’ll make some plays but our run game wont do much vs a pretty good Citadel DL. Our O is inconsistent and its gonna be cold, yes, cold in Charleston!

Citadel probably grinds us down, 300+ rushing and stifles our offense. Prediction Citadel 31 CSU 17.

Yup, once we changed our QB the option chemistry went up big time. Our new QB, in 3 games (including against Bama) has run for almost the same yards as our previous QB did in 7 games. 193 at WCU, 226 vs Samford and 79 against Bama (not to mention our RSF A back Smith, who ran for 136 yards against Bama, the first in 3 years to crack 100 rushing against them). The QB has not thrown a lot yet, but had some success against Samford (5/7-88). Now, those rushing yards against WCU were not especially hard, but it was a good showing in the other 2 given their defenses. We ran the pitch a few times against bama and the timing was perfect on some (two 40+ yard TD runs), and not so good on others where they invaded our backfield and stayed on assignment pretty much perfect. That said, and no disrespect to CSU, but I think our success rate will go up.

If you missed our Bama game, we did good. Obviously over matched and it showed in the second half, but I liked a lot of what I saw. And I really have to puff up a little for my Dogs, but we are the only team that Alabama has played this year who kept them from being in the lead at half time. Got us some priceless exposure nationally. Highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifi-DqVfNWA

ALL that said, CSU has, in the recent past, defended us fairly well. There is something to be said for familiarity. Given a late season, Thursday, night game in frigid Charleston, anything could happen. On paper I think we win by 2-3 scores at the minimum. But in reality it might very well be close. Given that we were basically 4 plays from being 8-2 instead of 4-6, I am sure the Dogs would rather have been playing this Saturday instead and they might be lacking motivation.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Citadel will score no less than 30 and CSU scores no more than 20.

I honestly think it will be 40something to 10

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:51 AM
47-43 degrees during game time. A bit cold for the Charleston faithful to brave. Hoping for at least 8K, but 6K would be good on a Thursday night.

Bucs2016
November 29th, 2018, 08:36 AM
47-43 degrees during game time. A bit cold for the Charleston faithful to brave. Hoping for at least 8K, but 6K would be good on a Thursday night.

Might be surprised. Thursday night, no oppressive Charleston heat, no other big games or sports events on TV. Id be disappointed if CSU doesnt bring at least 1500 of our own.

As for the game, Citadel does seem to have gotten it together in the latter part of the season. CSU hasnt. We have some nice individual players and seem to be a very average FCS team this year. If our mobile QB breaks some big runs or our D creates turnovers like that 2015 playoff game then maybe we pull it out, but I also see a Citadel win by at least 2 scores.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Might be surprised. Thursday night, no oppressive Charleston heat, no other big games or sports events on TV. Id be disappointed if CSU doesnt bring at least 1500 of our own.

As for the game, Citadel does seem to have gotten it together in the latter part of the season. CSU hasnt. We have some nice individual players and seem to be a very average FCS team this year. If our mobile QB breaks some big runs or our D creates turnovers like that 2015 playoff game then maybe we pull it out, but I also see a Citadel win by at least 2 scores.

That has been our weakness, QB scrambles. Especially very good QBs, like at Towson, Bama or Samford. But we did keep Adams at WCU in check. He is no slouch. Our aggressive D sometimes gets committed and we have nobody left to spy out the QB. Towson burned us the worst. Hopefully we will keep an eye on him tonight.

That would be awesome if you brought that many folks. We need the money to rebuild our visitors side.xthumbsupx

Bucs2016
November 29th, 2018, 02:01 PM
That has been our weakness, QB scrambles. Especially very good QBs, like at Towson, Bama or Samford. But we did keep Adams at WCU in check. He is no slouch. Our aggressive D sometimes gets committed and we have nobody left to spy out the QB. Towson burned us the worst. Hopefully we will keep an eye on him tonight.

That would be awesome if you brought that many folks. We need the money to rebuild our visitors side.xthumbsupx

Id be disappointed if we dont. As you know, this game is bigger to us than to yall, and our fans wanted it back on the schedule. If we dont respond by showing up on a night where there’s NO excuse not to then thats sad! Id get if it was 105 degrees or if USC/Clemson had a monster game at the same time.

Id say good luck but I wouldn’t mean it haha. Hope we win big, but hope all your guys come out healthy, thats the best I can do for now!

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:07 PM
4th and 1 for the citadel on their opening possession

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:12 PM
And Chuck South punts

Laker
November 29th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Is this being televised?

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:17 PM
It's on ESPN+

Citadel driving.

Rooting for them to score more than 38 to prove a point to the KSU faithful

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Citadel in the red zone.

One of the play by play analysts sounds like a stoner/surfer

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Touchdown Citadel

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:27 PM
I can see why people compare Wofford and CSU's offense but the main difference is that Wofford averages about 440 yards per game and CSU's is an abortion

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:30 PM
The citadel blocks a punt and takes it back for 6.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 06:34 PM
My Dogs looking good on both sides of ball.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Citadel in the red zone.

One of the play by play analysts sounds like a stoner/surfer

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkLOL - not watching, but I bet that’s former bellhop QB, Dom Allen. I just posted about that somewhere recently. He’s an African American kid from Augusta, GA & sounds like Jeff Spicoli from Ridgemont High.

I think he’s a military brat, actually, his ‘rents must’ve been posted up in Cali during his more formative years.

Birdman_
November 29th, 2018, 06:40 PM
Would love for CSU to turn it around soon. Really fun to watch in prior years, and still have some very talented players. Citadel should win handily, but best of luck to CSU for the sake of the Big South.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 06:42 PM
LOL - not watching, but I bet that’s former bellhop QB, Dom Allen. I just posted about that somewhere recently. He’s an African American kid from Augusta, GA & sounds like Jeff Spicoli from Ridgemont High.

I think he’s a military brat, actually, his ‘rents must’ve been posted up in Cali during his more formative years.

Yes. Can't stop laughing.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 06:44 PM
Wow. Tit for tat. Complacency.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Yes. Can't stop laughing.I thought it was Dom as well but was puzzled for the reasons outlined.

Also CSU with a special teams TD, another block.

Birdman_
November 29th, 2018, 06:55 PM

Painful to listen to

Birdman_
November 29th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Will the defenses outscore the offenses?

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Who needs offense.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:02 PM
So now we have another touchdown on the kick return of a safety.

30 points in this one. Only 7 by an offense.

CSU may be mathematically eliminated from this one

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Painful to listen toTakes some getting used to, but his enthusiasm for The Citadel and his former Teammates is kinda fun to listen to. He just finished playing in 2017, so he's a youngster. I like it when young people are enthusiastic; so I give him a 'pass.'

BTW - Crazy game so far....watching now

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:04 PM
We started running well but have become predictable. But...who needs O?

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:05 PM
CSU has -4 yards rushing

Birdman_
November 29th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Takes some getting used to, but his enthusiasm for The Citadel and his former Teammates is kinda fun to listen to. He just finished playing in 2017, so he's a youngster. I like it when young people are enthusiastic; so I give him a 'pass.'

BTW - Crazy game so far....watching now

Interesting, thanks for the context. He is certainly enthusiastic.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:08 PM
CSU has -4 yards rushing

Yeah, that's a bit surprising.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Yeah, that's a bit surprising.Well they didn't score a touchdown against the last place team in the MEAC so I'm not surprised.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:09 PM
I heard that all of the CSU players are actually eligible to play tonight.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Interesting, thanks for the context. He is certainly enthusiastic.
Now that I'm listening a little more though, I'm thinking maybe he did a little tailgating before tonight's game. WTH - makeup game...against CSU...I STILL give him a 'pass.'

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Listening to him talk I'm reminded of Black Klansman and the bit about sounding white lol

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:14 PM
TD for UCLA

23-14 Dogs

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Touchdown Bucs. Got some major assistance from some penalties in this one.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 07:17 PM
I heard that all of the CSU players are actually eligible to play tonight.Yeah....but the NCAA "heard" they were ALL eligible from 2011-2017 also.

"In its report, the NCAA found that the school improperly certified 55 student-athletes in 12 sports over a six-year period"

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/ncaa-hits-charleston-southern-with-probation-loss-of-football-scholarships/article_17b7b6a4-d16f-11e8-b2c6-a389754c8440.html

* Posted for those that aren't fully up to speed on CSU's issues.

cx500d
November 29th, 2018, 07:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSk5cbaZso

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Fumble. Uh oh!

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:20 PM
TD for UCLA

23-14 Dogs

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Trying our best to keep CSU in this game.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:23 PM
This reminds me of the PC game a few weeks ago when Wofford was definitely the better team, but we kept turning the ball over or making a mistake to keep it much closer than it actually was.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:24 PM
And CSU misses the field goal pretty bad

Wah wah wah wahhhhhh

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:29 PM
That's more like it.

CID1990
Who sez you can't run a 2 minute drill with the TO?

ElCid
Good drive

Reign of Terrier
Touchdown Citadel. 30-14

God I want them to hang 60 on them

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Touchdown Citadel. 30-14

God I want them to hang 60 on them

Our second half has usually been our best...sans Bama.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Our second half has usually been our best...sans Bama.To be fair, I don't think most have one good half against Bama, let alone 2

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:35 PM
On that third down play, CSU receiver caught the ball past the first down but when fighting for extra yards, went backwards

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Wow, our D is doing ok even if they are not an o powerhouse. CSU with 72 yards on O in 1st half.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:37 PM
HAH HAH HAH HAHA

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Rainey looks really good

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I think he definitely caught it, but did he get the foot down?

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I don't think he did

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:40 PM
These MUST be SoCon refs.

- - - Updated - - -

That was a TD all the way. Big time, too

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:41 PM
These MUST be SoCon refs.

- - - Updated - - -

That was a TD all the way. Big time, tooNah, I think his toe is on the line.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 07:41 PM
I don't think he did

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkIndisputable, El Cid?

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:42 PM
TD! That took a long time.

ElCid
Indisputable, El Cid?

Ya man.

Reign of Terrier
I don't agree with the call but it's close enough that I don't care

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Who sez you can't run a 2 minute drill with the TO?

Exactly.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:44 PM
HAH HAH HAH @ the players on the field when they overturned the incomplete pass call in the end zone

37 points in the first half

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Ya man.BWaha HA HA HA HA!!!!!

...and this is not?

https://i.postimg.cc/cLdYPbMT/BADBB645-F7-E2-496-D-9-B76-7-AE87-F431-D85.png

BWAHHH HA HA HA HAHHHAA Haha!!!!

Here ya go...
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/1.ccd/origin-d3.scene7.com/is/image/LuxotticaRetail/888392327024_shad_fr?$pdpSet$
GO BELLHOPS - WHIP THAT BIG SOUTH A$$$!!!!!!!

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I know 16 of them came from special teams, but the Citadel running up and down the field against CSU should make KSU fans adjust their priors if they think KSU's offense and The Citadel's aren't comparable.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I don't why I hate the Big South as much as I do, but I do

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 07:49 PM
I know 16 of them came from special teams, but the Citadel running up and down the field against CSU should make KSU fans adjust their priors if they think KSU's offense and The Citadel's aren't comparable.

Well, we had two offenses this season.

Our offense with Jordan Black at the helm was not comparable to KSU's or Wofford's.

Our offense with Rainey... well, we will see next season

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Killing em!

FUGameBreaker
November 29th, 2018, 07:52 PM
I don't why I hate the Big South as much as I do, but I do

I know why I do now, because the committee wanted to consider Monmouth a top 3 bubble team and not FU, lol please Monmouth would be trashed in the SoCon

Bucs2016
November 29th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Welp this is the disaster I was afraid would happen. I know its only halftime but jeez Citadel is stomping a mud hole in our butts.

My money says CSUs new AD from Liberty is gonna make a change and bring in one of his own guys. Not sure who, but Id LOVE for them to go after two names:

Brandon Streeter, QB coach at Clemson, former Liberty and CSU assistant. Massive step down for him BUT he’d get HC experience on his resume for the future.
Chad Staggs, Furman DC who was CSU DC under Chadwell. Hes who I hoped would take over for Chadwell but I doubt he’d return.

CID1990
BWaha HA HA HA HA!!!!!

...and this is not?

https://i.postimg.cc/cLdYPbMT/BADBB645-F7-E2-496-D-9-B76-7-AE87-F431-D85.png

BWAHHH HA HA HA HAHHHAA Haha!!!!

Here ya go...
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/1.ccd/origin-d3.scene7.com/is/image/LuxotticaRetail/888392327024_shad_fr?$pdpSet$
GO BELLHOPS - WHIP THAT BIG SOUTH A$$$!!!!!!!

Your tears are the vermouth in my martini

Reign of Terrier
Well, we had two offenses this season.

Our offense with Jordan Black at the helm was not comparable to KSU's or Wofford's.

Our offense with Rainey... well, we will see next seasonMy point was that some KSU fans have said adamently that you can't generalize Wofford pretty much shutting down most of the option teams played in the last 3 years or so to being applicable to them. For reasons I don't understand.

Even if the citadel offense is better under Rainey, it's impossible to say it's the best or better than anything the citadel has produced (and Wofford has somewhat slowed down) like 2016 or so.

The Citadel being comparability successful against CSU as KSU illustrates the point.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Your tears are the vermouth in my martiniAn *Ingle Martini

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I really don't like the kicks they blocked. It really was 2. Don't know where our breakdown came. Also, Rainey still buttetfingers. Got to clean that up. He is good, but needs to hold onto the ball better.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Your tears are the vermouth in my martiniI am crying from laughing so hard at El Cid's continued refusal to admit that ball is clearly out.

Reminds me of this classic scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pmBC_CrQS4

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:06 PM
My point was that some KSU fans have said adamently that you can't generalize Wofford pretty much shutting down most of the option teams played in the last 3 years or so to being applicable to them. For reasons I don't understand.

Even if the citadel offense is better under Rainey, it's impossible to say it's the best or better than anything the citadel has produced (and Wofford has somewhat slowed down) like 2016 or so.

The Citadel being comparability successful against CSU as KSU illustrates the point.

That's true at this point in time -

But the KSU fans may have had a point a few weeks ago - we were extremely lackluster on offense. Black was the most tentative QB I have ever seen at El Cid.

On a side note - they rave about that QB they have at KSU and I see many similarities between him and Rainey.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 08:07 PM
An *Ingle Martini

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkI guess you wouldn't drink that one straight up. It would have to be on The Rock(s)....with black ice placed at one end of a rectangular glass and it would have to be so strong that you fall down just before you finish drinking it.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I am crying from laughing so hard at El Cid's refusal to admit that ball is clearly out.

Reminds me of this classic scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pmBC_CrQS4

I'm basically waiting for you to award us the SoCon championship based on our close losses to ETSU, Wofford and UTC

Since that was your calculus for Mercer a couple years back

- - - Updated - - -

There's some dude close to the announcers microphone who has been yelling at the refs the entire game and he's hilarious

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:10 PM
That's true at this point in time -

But the KSU fans may have had a point a few weeks ago - we were extremely lackluster on offense. Black was the most tentative QB I have ever seen at El Cid.

On a side note - they rave about that QB they have at KSU and I see many similarities between him and Rainey.Agreed.

Right now I'm more interested in the Citadel defense against CSU. We already know Wofford has experience against the TO and KSU doesn't. CSU is probably the second best rushing offense in the big south and the citadel DL is having their way. Regardless of how good the citadel offense is, I don't think they are top 3 in rush defense.

Basically, one can generalize that KSU pass defense is pretty legit (explains think success against JSU and Samford) but it doesn't compare to socon teams in terms of stopping the run.

Point is, if KSU is approximate or a little less than the citadel defense in terms of stopping the run, which I think is a solid hypothesis, one could generalize Wofford being in good shape.

I could be wrong of course

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I'm basically waiting for you to award us the SoCon championship based on our close losses to ETSU, Wofford and UTC

- - - Updated - - -

There's some dude close to the announcers microphone who has been yelling at the refs the entire game and he's hilarious

If it's the same guy as years past, my wife and I call him the whistler because he keeps whistling as well.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 08:16 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I would, but since my Paladins spanked the bellhops (as usual), I just can't see clear to making that conferment. Maybe next year...always the best year for bellhop football fans.

...and that dude by the announcers is relentless...and, pretty sure, completely wasted! Good for him!

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:16 PM
I was having a grand time watching this game until they just put up an ESPN commercial featuring that choad Herbstreit

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Big South offenses make everyone in the socon look like the Steel Curtain on defense.

Remember that Gardner Webb only scored 10 on Western?

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Right about now is when defenses start getting gassed. If CSU's D has conditioning problems it should start showing up soon

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:24 PM
I guess they are giving Black some time as a senior.
In his final game.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:25 PM
I thought black was a sophomore. Huh.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:25 PM
I guess they are giving Black some time as a senior.
In his final game.

I'd like to see us hang another 14-21 points on them first

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:26 PM
I'd like to see us hang another 14-21 points on them first

Don't want him hurt though. Plus Black deserves some time.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:26 PM
I'd like to see us hang another 14-21 points on them firstI feel like these are not mutually exclusive propositions.

CSU is bad.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Yep. CSU is getting tired

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:29 PM
That right there is what is wrong with Black. He won't pitch

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Anyone wonder why Black was replaced?

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:30 PM
We are getting good look at the difference between Rainey and Black, and why Rainey is the guy

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:31 PM
That right there is what is wrong with Black. He won't pitchYou're right. I can see it. I don't remember that from the wofford game. Rainey is very impressive though.

Having said all that I remember last year people were begging for Black to start

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 08:33 PM
This is starting to look like an intrasquad scrimmage - 1's on 3's

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:34 PM
You're right. I can see it. I don't remember that from the wofford game. Rainey is very impressive though.

Having said all that I remember last year people were begging for Black to start

He was always a better passer than Dom, and the few times he came in he played very well. In our championship season a couple years ago he started the opener at Mercer when Dom was suspended for breaking team rules. He won the game - and back in those days he played with a lot more energy.

This year he was sleepwalking and someone on our board floated the theory that he was trying to avoid injury to protect his Air Force contract. I have no idea but there was definitely a difference between sophomore Black and senior Black.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:35 PM
One thing I've learned about option offenses is that boring is often better in terms of QB play.

Mitch Allen guided us 2 playoff berth and a socon championship and there were people wondering if he was really the guy.

Same thing happened to Brandon Goodson last year and Joe Newman this year.

You know a great QB in the option when you see it, but it's hard to pick out a bad one. The jury is out on Rainey but I think he's boring (in the good way) or good

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:37 PM
CSU has no third down conversions and less than 30 yards of offense.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Black does not make good reads.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:39 PM
CSU has no third down conversions and less than 30 yards of offense.

They have 97 yards. 30 rushing 67 passing.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Bad pitch decision when he does pitch.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:41 PM
It almost like we took the O foot off the pedal, but it is just Black being rusty. Hasn't played in over a month.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 08:41 PM
They have 97 yards. 30 rushing 67 passing.I meant rushing but yeah.

Socon run defenses are something else.

kdinva
November 29th, 2018, 08:44 PM
lots of non-offensive points here tonite.....

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Yeah, Black is rusty. OMG.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 08:46 PM
One thing I've learned about option offenses is that boring is often better in terms of QB play.

Mitch Allen guided us 2 playoff berth and a socon championship and there were people wondering if he was really the guy.

Same thing happened to Brandon Goodson last year and Joe Newman this year.

You know a great QB in the option when you see it, but it's hard to pick out a bad one. The jury is out on Rainey but I think he's boring (in the good way) or good

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkYou are right...and I think this was something Paul Johnson never quite adopted. Tracy Ham's amazingness, in his formative years as an OC at GaSou, probably 'ruined' him in that sense.

Boring runner, who makes great decisions and is an adequate to good passer > flashy, amazingly athletic runner who makes bad decisions and can hardly throw

- - - Updated - - -

lots of non-offensive points here tonite.....In this thread or in the game? :)

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Take Black OUT

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:47 PM
I meant rushing but yeah.

Socon run defenses are something else.

Make that 22 yards

kdinva
November 29th, 2018, 08:49 PM
whassup with the two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on CSU?

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:55 PM
whassup with the two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on CSU?

We just had one thrown out of the game

This game is very chippy but our kids are supposed to know better than that crap

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:57 PM
I really don't like the decision to take the foot off the gas in this game.

grizband
November 29th, 2018, 08:57 PM
You are right...and I think this was something Paul Johnson never quite adopted. Tracy Ham's amazingness, in his formative years as an OC at GaSou, probably 'ruined' him in that sense.

Boring runner, who makes great decisions and is an adequate to good passer > flashy, amazingly athletic runner who makes bad decisions and can hardly throw

- - - Updated - - -

In this thread or in the game? :)
It extends beyond option offenses/quarterbacks too. I'll take a solid QB who happens to be an athlete (Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, etc) before a talented athlete who happens to play QB.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 08:59 PM
This now appears to have been a bad judgment call

https://twitter.com/NicklasPicklas/status/1044250673712386048

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Wow, CSU now down to 22 yards rushing for the game.

Make that 7 with the sack.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I'd like to see Rainey back in the game. Black just deflates the entire O

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Wow. Players losing their cool.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Also fun fact, I used to be on the same wrestling team in middle school as Russell whatever his last name is (guy who just got the sack)

Kinda weird because I was bigger than him back then and now I'm a towering 5 '9

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 09:04 PM
CSU now at -1 rushing. We need a dang score. Black needs to step up.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 09:05 PM
LOL - Announcer was just running down how deep the SoCon is and mentioned Wofford, ETSU, and Samford...hmmm...seems to have missed one in that group....y'know, the 'other' 2018 SoCon Tri-Champion. Must be prohibited in his contract.

BTW - Hubbs has been a very good Player for CIT for a LONG time. ALWAYS FULL-Speed. I don't think he ever rec'd any individual honors, did he. He shoulda, if not.

BTW2 - "Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu!"

LOL - they need to GIVE that guy a microphone!

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Coach needs to get control of these players and start benching people for this extracurricular crap.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 09:07 PM
LOL - Announcer was just running down how deep the SoCon is and mentioned Wofford, ETSU, and Samford...hmmm...seems to have missed one in that group....y'know, the 'other' 2018 SoCon Tri-Champion. Must be prohibited in his contract.

BTW - Hubbs has been a very good Player for CIT for a LONG time. ALWAYS FULL-Speed. I don't think he ever rec'd any individual honors, did he. He shoulda, if not.

BTW2 - "Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu! Ahhhh hy-aaaate yuuuuuu!"

LOL - they need to GIVE that guy a microphone!Reminds me when Wofford played Georgia Southern in 2008 at Paulson and there was a guy who would say they suck every time they made a bad play.

And Hubbs got a lot of his athleticism from wrestling. So did Mitchell Jeter, may he rest in peace. The Rock Hill area has some great wrestlers

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Black is sloppy as hell.

Put Rainey back in or give the #3 a shot.

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Black is mess. Ok he had his time on his last game. Put in the third string now.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Remember, Charleston Southern was the third best team in the Big South and probably KSU's 4th most impressive win.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that every team but VMI would switch places with KSU and win the conference.

Heck, VMI put together a better fight against the citadel than this. Maybe they would "ETSU" it and win the conference.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:14 PM
I KNEW the D was going to get a takeaway.

Now let's score some pawnts

kdinva
November 29th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Dogs with another INT.....ball at Chuck's 17....

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 09:15 PM
New QB at least.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Wait... who's this kid at QB now?

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Remember, Charleston Southern was the third best team in the Big South and probably KSU's 4th most impressive win.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that every team but VMI would switch places with KSU and win the conference.

Heck, VMI put together a better fight against the citadel than this. Maybe they would "ETSU" it and win the conference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkNo doubt about it. Other than KSU, no one in the Big South gives 2018 VMI much of a challenge. MAYBE, Monmouth, but probably not.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Good Lord

Our 2s and 3s need some work

kdinva
November 29th, 2018, 09:17 PM
FG @ 2:04...............43-14

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Dude throwing money out of the box seats again like at the Samford game

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:19 PM
I wonder if CSU brought their brooms to this game

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Not sure anyone wanted to play in the second half.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Maybe the D can get us some asterisk pawnts here

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 09:21 PM
I wonder if CSU brought their brooms to this gameNot sure about brooms, but they sure brought a dumpster. Just need to drop in a match when the clock hits 0:00

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Almost glad that's over. At least we ended on a high note.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 09:25 PM
No third down conversions and -1 yards rushing for CSU in this one.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Well, a couple takeaways -

We are easily the most improved team in the conference across the season... which wasn't really that hard to do since we stank things up so badly earlier in the season

We need to pay Dom Allen to stay as the color commentator - he's awesome

No need to wonder about what could have been if we had started Rainey for the season - in fact we could just as easily have lost the same games. But he has a good head on his shoulders, he's smart, and he can punish you through the air if necessary. He needs a little work on holding on to the ball. The future is bright as we have him for two more years, and there's a redshirt knob in the wings who might be better. Almost certainly faster.

CSU's sports info guy should do a broom video every season moving forward

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Almost glad that's over. At least we ended on a high note.Yep - 2019 is going to be ANOTHER rugged year in the SoCon.
* CIT, like Stella, got their groove back at the end of the year.
* I don't see Woffy fallin' off a lot.
* Furman should be even better, pending resolving the QB situation - there is talent there
* Mercer should be better with a (Lord willin') healthy Riddle
* Sammy always has a raft of talent - and they have a yacht of talent to replace...so we'll see if/how they do that
* ETSU isn't really losing a lot of starters, but they are losing a lot of depth and, POSSIBLY, a lot of Leadership (as Mercer did after 2016) - still could be better in 2019 than they were this year
* Chatt made the right reductions on their staff - who knows if the replacements will be better and they lose a lot on D, but with the 25 Xfers they'll probably take in the off-season, they can always be dangerous
* VMI needs to keep takin' baby steps and they'll be competitive and pull a surprise or 2 next year...like we were ALL afraid they might this year
* WCU lots of room to improve - could be a troublesome off-season for the Catamounts...not too bullish on their recovery, but they can surprise, of course.

NOTE: Above is not a power ranking - just a summary of FUBeAR thoughts after the final SoCon Reg Season game....mostly SoCon will be TOUGH...need Woffy to keep winning in the Playoffs (to a point)...and MUST WIN our OOC games next year!!!!

Mercer needed to beat Yale and show better against Memphis
Furman needed to beat Elon and purchase the weather control machine from Simon Bar Sinister
CIT needed to beat Towson and show better against Alabama (JK...relax 90)
Sammy needed to beat KSU
Woffy needed to beat Wyoming (yep!)
VMI needed to show better against Toledo AND ODU

THIS ISH CANNOT HAPPEN IN 2019 - TELL YOUR TEAMS YOU WON'T STAND FOR IT AGAIN!! MAKE 'EM RUN STADIUMS OR WALK TOURS...WHATEVER!

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Well, a couple takeaways -

We are easily the most improved team in the conference across the season... which wasn't really that hard to do since we stank things up so badly earlier in the season

We need to pay Dom Allen to stay as the color commentator - he's awesome

No need to wonder about what could have been if we had started Rainey for the season - in fact we could just as easily have lost the same games. But he has a good head on his shoulders, he's smart, and he can punish you through the air if necessary. He needs a little work on holding on to the ball. The future is bright as we have him for two more years, and there's a redshirt knob in the wings who might be better. Almost certainly faster.

CSU's sports info guy should do a broom video every season moving forward

Yup, that about sums it up. Still some bad blood apparently. Too many altercations in this one. Our D was good. Too bad we will lose so many this year.

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I would say the difference between Wofford and the rest of the conference (i.e the reason we have the most playoff success and back to back conference titles) is because we are the most consistent.

Even with player and coaching turnover, that is our MO. I think we are really past the point where we can look at who's coming back next year and predict outcomes. We can't. The conference is tough and most teams are fighting for at least a playoff spot.

And now for my Wofford/KSU plug

Watching the Citadel dominate the LOS all night tonight makes me feel better about Wofford against KSU this weekend, as I've already said. The socon is just a different animal than the Big South. Going into this one, I thought the citadel would win handily. But not that handily. The score should have been 60 and the defense without penalties and special teams would have shut them out.

Assuming the Citadel is at least similar to Wofford on both sides of the ball (my bias still says we are a smidge better), a Kennesaw state fan should be somewhat concerned after tonight.

Statistically, the Citadel was average this year on defense and they were really unspecial in terms of run defense. They averaged giving up 5 ypc and were ranked 47th and didn't have to play themselves in terms of run defense. They shut down the second best run team in the Big South.

Heck, both of the teams that actively tried to run down hill on KSU with varying success (GW and CSU) were pretty much handledbetter by the socon teams they played, regardless of quality.

I think as a conference we just play at a higher level compared to the other southern FCS conferences.

CID1990
November 29th, 2018, 10:18 PM
I would say the difference between Wofford and the rest of the conference (i.e the reason we have the most playoff success and back to back conference titles) is because we are the most consistent.

Even with player and coaching turnover, that is our MO. I think we are really past the point where we can look at who's coming back next year and predict outcomes. We can't. The conference is tough and most teams are fighting for at least a playoff spot.

And now for my Wofford/KSU plug

Watching the Citadel dominate the LOS all night tonight makes me feel better about Wofford against KSU this weekend, as I've already said. The socon is just a different animal than the Big South. Going into this one, I thought the citadel would win handily. But not that handily. The score should have been 60 and the defense without penalties and special teams would have shut them out.

Assuming the Citadel is at least similar to Wofford on both sides of the ball (my bias still says we are a smidge better), a Kennesaw state fan should be somewhat concerned after tonight.

Statistically, the Citadel was average this year on defense and they were really unspecial in terms of run defense. They averaged giving up 5 ypc and were ranked 47th and didn't have to play themselves in terms of run defense. They shut down the second best run team in the Big South.

Heck, both of the teams that actively tried to run down hill on KSU with varying success (GW and CSU) were pretty much handledbetter by the socon teams they played, regardless of quality.

I think as a conference we just play at a higher level compared to the other southern FCS conferences.

There's an intangible in there -

CSU looked like 2 different teams at times this season

Which team played us tonight? The one that lost to KSU or the one that lost to Savannah State?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofurman
November 29th, 2018, 10:27 PM
This game isn't too much in this vein but it is a shame ANY game is played this late as what IF IF it was Citadel v decent team X and Citadel won? The committee would have been missing a data point in making decisions. And I am not being PRO-SoCon . I mean it for ANY team. UNI. Indiana State. UIW. Montana. Anyone

I don't know that there is any thing to be done though when a hurricane changes dates. Not sure there is a possible solution

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 10:32 PM

Even with player and coaching turnover, that is our MO.

You've been hangin' out with those KSU fans a bit too much YT.

Most Playoff success? Most consistent?

Let me know when Woffy hangs a National Championship Banner, has played in 3 FCS National Championship games, has made the FCS Playoffs just about every other year (on the average) over 4 decades, and won 14 SoCon Championships.

You can qualify that claim and make it true, I suppose, but it can't stand on its own, as is.

Just as perspective is defined by one's current environment (SoCon vs. Big South), it is also defined by one's time frame. With that statement, your perspective is almost as limited as those thumping their chests because they've won some games in the good-golly-awful Big South and made 1 decent Playoff run. Tighten it up and FUBeAR will let you slide it by. Otherwise...PURE HOGWASH!

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 11:08 PM
You've been hangin' out with those KSU fans a bit too much YT.

Most Playoff success? Most consistent?

Let me know when Woffy hangs a National Championship Banner, has played in 3 FCS National Championship games, has made the FCS Playoffs just about every other year (on the average) over 4 decades, and won 14 SoCon Championships.

You can qualify that claim and make it true, I suppose, but it can't stand on its own, as is.

Just as perspective is defined by one's current environment (SoCon vs. Big South), it is also defined by one's time frame. With that statement, your perspective is almost as limited as those thumping their chests because they've won some games in the good-golly-awful Big South and made 1 decent Playoff run. Tighten it up and FUBeAR will let you slide it by. Otherwise...PURE HOGWASH!Furman has made the playoffs twice since 2006.

Wofford has made it 8 times in that time period.

What Furman did in 1988 tells us literally nothing about their success on the field in 2019.

I don't have to go back to 2006 to see that Wofford has been the most consistent team in the last 3 years. The reason why we get those playoff wins is because of our consistency during the regular season. Our playoff success complements our consistency.

Looking at the other teams, there are teams that don't win more than they lose (VMI, Western Carolina), that have consistently lost close (the citadel, Mercer), that lose to teams in the bottom half of the socon (samford), that are consitently bad on one side of the ball (VMI, Chattanooga, Western). Or they have choked in big games (Furman).

That's not to say we are perfect. 2016-2017, we played games consistently closer. But we won them. This year, we traded one kind of consistency (every game being close) for another (high risk, high reward, losing games by greater margins but also having 8 of 9 wins by double digits). We sucked high tit between 2013-2015. But in October of 2016 I wouldn't tell Chattanooga fans that Wofford was more consistent than UTC at the time. Because we weren't.

Wofford has only lost 5 FCS games in the last 3 years during the regular season. 3 of them were to samford, the other two to socon champions. Admittedly, part of that is scheduling. Furman beat us bad this year. But in that 29 FCS game span, that was the only game not in doubt in the fourth quarter not in our favor. That's a pretty good rate.

There's no other team in the socon that can say that. If you want to include playoff games, it's 2 of 35.

No team in this conference is that consistent. I'm willing to bet if you pulled up the old box scores for Furman in the late 80s and mid 2000s, or GSU/App in the mid-2000s to early 2010s, you'd find similar statistics.

I concede you can find streaks of our inconsistency between 2013-2015, but the point is we have found it again. Furman hasn't found that yet, and a national championship won during the Reagan Administration won't change that.

I wouldn't say Eastern Kentucky is a more consistent FCS power than Wofford either

ElCid
November 29th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Furman has made the playoffs twice since 2006.

Wofford has made it 8 times in that time period.

What Furman did in 1988 tells us literally nothing about their success on the field in 2019.

I don't have to go back to 2006 to see that Wofford has been the most consistent team in the last 3 years. The reason why we get those playoff wins is because of our consistency during the regular season. Our playoff success complements our consistency.

Looking at the other teams, there are teams that don't win more than they lose (VMI, Western Carolina), that have consistently lost close (the citadel, Mercer), that lose to teams in the bottom half of the socon (samford), that are consitently bad on one side of the ball (VMI, Chattanooga, Western). Or they have choked in big games (Furman).

That's not to say we are perfect. 2016-2017, we played games consistently closer. But we won them. This year, we traded one kind of consistency (every game being close) for another (high risk, high reward, losing games by greater margins but also having 8 of 9 wins by double digits). We sucked high tit between 2013-2015. But in October of 2016 I wouldn't tell Chattanooga fans that Wofford was more consistent than UTC at the time. Because we weren't.

Wofford has only lost 5 FCS games in the last 3 years during the regular season. 3 of them were to samford, the other two to socon champions. Admittedly, part of that is scheduling. Furman beat us bad this year. But in that 29 FCS game span, that was the only game not in doubt in the fourth quarter not in our favor. That's a pretty good rate.

There's no other team in the socon that can say that. If you want to include playoff games, it's 2 of 35.

No team in this conference is that consistent. I'm willing to bet if you pulled up the old box scores for Furman in the late 80s and mid 2000s, or GSU/App in the mid-2000s to early 2010s, you'd find similar statistics.

I concede you can find streaks of our inconsistency between 2013-2015, but the point is we have found it again. Furman hasn't found that yet, and a national championship won during the Reagan Administration won't change that.

I wouldn't say Eastern Kentucky is a more consistent FCS power than Wofford either

Boom?

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Wofford has been in the socon since 1998(?) and a serious contender for playoff positioning since 2002. If the field was 24 and not 16 at the time, we get in in 2002, 2006 and maybe 2004.

Comparing Wofford's success to Furman's is apples and oranges. The amount of teams playing 1-AA in the 80s was not what it is today. I'm not going to take away from Furman's well-earned championship, but I will say that every team nowadays has a harder path to a championship because of the volume of teams and talent in the subdivision. 2 playoff wins in 2003 puts you in the semifinals; you need 4 for some teams in 2018.

My point, in line with the direction I was going with the thread is that you can't find a team that is 1) been successful (getting in the playoffs) for 5 of the last 10 years and also 2) consistentl in the last 2 or 3.

Furman looks good this year and are clearly on the up and up. But they have as many playoff appearances as the citadel, ETSU and Chattanooga in the last 3 years. And that's not to say those teams are bad, but that the ones trending upward need to show more consistency. Admittedly, it's a zero sum game; there's a limited number of teams that can be at that level.

Between 2007 and 2012, you could expect 3 of Wofford, Elon, GSU, and App State to compete for a playoff spot (except maybe 2009 when Wofford was super injured and Hatcher was on his way out). Who are those 4 teams now? Wofford, Samford, Furman, and?????

CID1990
November 30th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Wofford has been in the socon since 1998(?) and a serious contender for playoff positioning since 2002. If the field was 24 and not 16 at the time, we get in in 2002, 2006 and maybe 2004.

Comparing Wofford's success to Furman's is apples and oranges. The amount of teams playing 1-AA in the 80s was not what it is today. I'm not going to take away from Furman's well-earned championship, but I will say that every team nowadays has a harder path to a championship because of the volume of teams and talent in the subdivision. 2 playoff wins in 2003 puts you in the semifinals; you need 4 for some teams in 2018.

My point, in line with the direction I was going with the thread is that you can't find a team that is 1) been successful (getting in the playoffs) for 5 of the last 10 years and also 2) consistentl in the last 2 or 3.

Furman looks good this year and are clearly on the up and up. But they have as many playoff appearances as the citadel, ETSU and Chattanooga in the last 3 years. And that's not to say those teams are bad, but that the ones trending upward need to show more consistency. Admittedly, it's a zero sum game; there's a limited number of teams that can be at that level.

Between 2007 and 2012, you could expect 3 of Wofford, Elon, GSU, and App State to compete for a playoff spot (except maybe 2009 when Wofford was super injured and Hatcher was on his way out). Who are those 4 teams now? Wofford, Samford, Furman, and?????

Well if you count the last 4 years you could include The Citadel in that. If we bounce back next season then that would mean we were a contender for 3 out of 5 years.

Last year I had my doubts about Thompson but now it is starting to look like he just has a different approach than Houston did, and his system just needed a year or so to percolate. With the right personnel in place, Thompson wins games.

But in terms of consistency ... we need to hang on to good coaches longer. Part of Wofford's consistency can be attributed to Coach Ayers. We haven't benefited from having a good coach decide to put down roots.

gofurman
November 30th, 2018, 12:43 AM
Boom?

NO BOOM. NONE. AT. ALL.

he DIDNT SAY "most consistent recently". He said "most consistent". That's what FUBeAR was getting at. YT needed a qualifier. "Most consistent" implies ALL TIME

If YT says "most consistent last few years" I agree. I am objective. If he picks a certain year and comes forward from that year he's probably right.

But Most successful all time of current SoCon members? FURMAN. no question. A NATIONAL TITLE. FOURTEEN (15 now?) SOCON TITLES. THREE NATIONAL TITLE APPEARANCES. And on and on it goes. We own pretty much every SOCON record among existing members. Heck, among every school only Western has ever gotten to the national title game. We have been to THREE

BUt no need for anyone to get hurt. It's all DATA. yes, last few years Wofford is most consistent. Now go beat KSU !!

Bucs2016
November 30th, 2018, 04:11 AM
Congrats to The Citadel on the win. Blew us out, all three phases of the game. Yalls record is very misleading, so many of your losses this year were 1 play games at the end. Looks like 2019 could be a great one on the Ashley River.

As for CSU....the new AD better not let football slip back to dumpster fire status like it did at the end of the Mills era. I get that we peaked under Chadwell so I’ll keep expectations reasonable. But our schedule year to year isnt exactly that hard, especially with Coastal and Liberty gone. A winning season should be the norm, with an occasional finish at the top of the Big South.

He also led the Liberty stadium renovation and I hear thats one goal he has here. Hopefully he guides us last these absurd NCAA sanctions (the school admin burned us on that yet again) and upgrades facilities.

As an alumni and former player there, I also wanna apologize for the stupid broom video. Even if we had won, its stupid. The broom was a one time spontaneous thing in 2015 under Chadwell. Now its just lame and that video kinda summed up the status of the program right now. We all want it to change. 2018 results are not acceptable. Losing to Savannah State and being flat out non-competitive vs Citadel, Kennesaw, Monmouth...just not acceptable anymore.

Anyhow, congrats Bulldogs. You guys owned us and gave us quite a beatdown last night. Hope we right the ship and make it more of a game next time.

CID1990
November 30th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Congrats to The Citadel on the win. Blew us out, all three phases of the game. Yalls record is very misleading, so many of your losses this year were 1 play games at the end. Looks like 2019 could be a great one on the Ashley River.

As for CSU....the new AD better not let football slip back to dumpster fire status like it did at the end of the Mills era. I get that we peaked under Chadwell so I’ll keep expectations reasonable. But our schedule year to year isnt exactly that hard, especially with Coastal and Liberty gone. A winning season should be the norm, with an occasional finish at the top of the Big South.

He also led the Liberty stadium renovation and I hear thats one goal he has here. Hopefully he guides us last these absurd NCAA sanctions (the school admin burned us on that yet again) and upgrades facilities.

As an alumni and former player there, I also wanna apologize for the stupid broom video. Even if we had won, its stupid. The broom was a one time spontaneous thing in 2015 under Chadwell. Now its just lame and that video kinda summed up the status of the program right now. We all want it to change. 2018 results are not acceptable. Losing to Savannah State and being flat out non-competitive vs Citadel, Kennesaw, Monmouth...just not acceptable anymore.

Anyhow, congrats Bulldogs. You guys owned us and gave us quite a beatdown last night. Hope we right the ship and make it more of a game next time.

If your new AD’s priority is your stadium, then he is the right guy. All else needs to take a back seat to getting your literal house in order- and that means the stadium. It will help with everything, but most importantly recruiting.. every FCS school in the region that is recruiting against CSU can point to your facility when making the pitch that the kid should choose their school over CSU. Even N Greenville and Newberry have an advantage there.

Good luck in the offseason - but not too much good luck - I want us to beat you like a drum next year

BTW I also think we need to be pencilling in games every year when possible - there is no reason we shouldn’t play every year given our proximity. But you’ve got to expand that stadium by at least 5000-7000 seats, and at least 2000 of those need to be on the visitors side. If we don’t have to stand on coolers or folding chairs to see the game, we’ll fill it ever6 time we play there.

CID1990
November 30th, 2018, 06:52 AM
NO BOOM. NONE. AT. ALL.

he DIDNT SAY "most consistent recently". He said "most consistent". That's what FUBeAR was getting at. YT needed a qualifier. "Most consistent" implies ALL TIME

If YT says "most consistent last few years" I agree. I am objective. If he picks a certain year and comes forward from that year he's probably right.

But Most successful all time of current SoCon members? FURMAN. no question. A NATIONAL TITLE. FOURTEEN (15 now?) SOCON TITLES. THREE NATIONAL TITLE APPEARANCES. And on and on it goes. We own pretty much every SOCON record among existing members. Heck, among every school only Western has ever gotten to the national title game. We have been to THREE

BUt no need for anyone to get hurt. It's all DATA. yes, last few years Wofford is most consistent. Now go beat KSU !!

I remember Elvis and shag carpets too

walliver
November 30th, 2018, 07:12 AM
What I learned from watching this telecast:
1) CSU is the Citadel’s biggest rival.
2) the Big South is an awesome conference because Kennesaw State is in it, and all BS teams are great for losing to KSU (MVFC syndrome)
3) the SoCon got “multiple bids”. Technically true as 2>1, but not what most people consider multiple.
4) KSU is still playing in the playoffs (but no mention of anyone else).
5) CSU’s offensive line missed the bus to the game.
6) The Citadel is going to the dark side and playing on plastic next year.
7) Dom does better color commentary then Sam Wyche.
8) Furman Sucks - But I already knew that.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2018, 07:26 AM
NO BOOM. NONE. AT. ALL.

BUt no need for anyone to get hurt. It's all DATA. yes, last few years Wofford is most consistent. Now go beat KSU !!Take away the 1980s and the years 1999-2006 and Furman "consistency" or whatever evaporates.

There's just as many periods of "recession" (the last decade, the 90s) as there are playing at a high level. Since Wofford joined the socon in 1997, we have only had 6 seasons below .500 in conference play, 3 since 2002. Furman has been much worse in the last decade.

Between 2013-2015 we thought we were a dumpster fire because we we're .500.

Right now, Furman hasn't diffentiated themselves from the Citadel, Chattanooga, ETSU, etc.

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 07:48 AM
NO BOOM. NONE. AT. ALL.

You are right, I noticed it immediately when I read it. The addition of that one little word would made all the difference. I think I even said it out loud to myself. HOWEVER, by looking at the context of the statements he made, you could easily infer that recently is what he meant, and you and FuBear really should have know that.xnodx

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 08:14 AM
I remember Elvis and shag carpets tooI remember Pokémon Go & The Running Man Challenge from way back in 2016.

Since that long-ago time, Furman is 2-0 vs. the bellhops, spanking them by an average score of 42-18, won a SoCon Championship, been to the Playoffs, and won a Playoff game.

Meanwhile, CIT football has...hmmm, let’s see what’s been accomplished recently...oh yeah...they’ve torn down half their stadium in favor of Charleston Southern-style temporary aluminum bleachers.

Lookin’ good down there in Chucktown! bellhops on a roll!!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/X7hkPsLpkBo/0.jpg

http://aptwebassets1.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/Charleston-Southern-Gridiron-RS-52T-2-Web.jpg

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 08:26 AM
You are right, I noticed it immediately when I read it. The addition of that one little word would made all the difference. I think I even said it out loud to myself. HOWEVER, by looking at the context of the statements he made, you could easily infer that recently is what he meant, and you and FuBear really should have know that.xnodx
You can’t criticize Johnny-come-lately for boasting about their recent accomplishments out of one side of your keyboard and then beat your chest for being a Johnny-come-a-little-less-lately out of the other side.

And I sure do appreciate GoFurman’s comments, but it’s a whole lot more than “just data.” I worked, sweated, and bled for 5 of those 14 SoCon Championships, 2 of those Playoff runs, and contributed time & treasure for all the rest.

If you want to “take out the 80’s” to make a point, fine; but if you don’t frame your point with proper perspective, I am compelled to call you on it.

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 08:50 AM
You can’t criticize Johnny-come-lately for boasting about their recent accomplishments out of one side of your keyboard and then beat your chest for being a Johnny-come-a-little-less-lately out of the other side.

And I sure do appreciate GoFurman’s comments, but it’s a whole lot more than “just data.” I worked, sweated, and bled for 5 of those 14 SoCon Championships, 2 of those Playoff runs, and contributed time & treasure for all the rest.

If you want to “take out the 80’s” to make a point, fine; but if you don’t frame your point with proper perspective, I am compelled to call you on it.

I think you just like to argue.xthumbsupx

So OK, I can go back and just frame just 4 years and say we have won an outright Championship and one Co-Championship compared to 1 Furman Co-Championship and have a 29-18 record compared to Furman's 21-24 record in that same time. Not to mention we have 21-10 SOCON record compared to Furman's 17-14 in that time. Plus we are 1-2 in the playoff and I think Furman is 1-1.

Is that acceptable? Not the data itself, I know you find that unacceptablexlolx, but the presentation and framing?xconfusedx

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I think you just like to argue.xthumbsupx

So OK, I can go back and just frame just 4 years and say we have won an outright Championship and one Co-Championship compared to 1 Furman Co-Championship and have a 29-18 record compared to Furman's 21-24 record in that same time. Not to mention we have 21-10 SOCON record compared to Furman's 17-14 in that time. Plus we are 1-2 in the playoff and I think Furman is 0-1.

Is that acceptable? Not the data itself, I know you find that unacceptablexlolx, but the presentation and framing?xconfusedxsure. except FU is 1-1 in Playoff games (so...better than 1-2...might want to drop that point)...assume you got the rest correct.

besides, I was taking a DNA-mandated ‘break’ from supporting FU part of that time.

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 09:11 AM
sure. except FU is 1-1 in Playoff games (so...better than 1-2...might want to drop that point)...assume you got the rest correct.

besides, I was taking a DNA-mandated ‘break’ from supporting FU part of that time.

Crap, yes I missed that. 1-1 it is. But we had a loss to a common foe. And we avenged the other loss last night.

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Crap, yes I missed that. 1-1 it is. But we had a loss to a common foe. And we avenged the other loss last night....and CSU’s win will probably be vacated; ipso facto, if there is no “win,” there also, logically, cannot be a “loss.”

gotta think these things thru, Cid.

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 09:25 AM
...and CSU’s win will probably be vacated; ipso facto, if there is no “win,” there also, logically, cannot be a “loss.”

gotta think these things thru, Cid.

Doesn't help now....#notawin

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Doesn't help now....#notawinnot a #notwin either

walliver
November 30th, 2018, 10:24 AM
This is getting as bad as the Wofford-Kennesaw thread, which has little to do with the topic at hand.

And while we are off-topic, Wofford hasn’t lost a post-season SoCon game since GSU in 2010, and has never lost a postseason game to a South Carolina FCS team. Now if we can just find a way to keep out of Fargo.

On topic, last nights game was just sloppy all around. CSU looked particularly clueless.

Bisonoline
November 30th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Am I the only one that thought that this was poorly played game by both teams. JFC that was just some really bad football.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Am I the only one that thought that this was poorly played game by both teams. JFC that was just some really bad football.

It gets (slightly) better when you realize that the Citadel put their 2s and 3s in for the last 20 minutes.

Charleston Southern and the Big South was just bad this year.

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 01:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OFLfONT.gif

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 02:15 PM

Basically. Meaningless last game of the season for what it's worth. Not sure They had their heads in the game entirely. We rotated a lot younger guys in during most of second half. They need some work for sure.

Bucs2016
November 30th, 2018, 02:18 PM
It gets (slightly) better when you realize that the Citadel put their 2s and 3s in for the last 20 minutes.

Charleston Southern and the Big South was just bad this year.

Agreed. Not a good year for either. North Alabama is gonna end up being a great addition and CSU hopefully rebuilds. But 2018 is a season to forget for CSU and the Big South except for Kennessaw.

Professor
November 30th, 2018, 04:01 PM

A&T will be down in 2019. How long are those sanctions

CID1990
November 30th, 2018, 06:24 PM
I remember Pokémon Go & The Running Man Challenge from way back in 2016.

Since that long-ago time, Furman is 2-0 vs. the bellhops, spanking them by an average score of 42-18, won a SoCon Championship, been to the Playoffs, and won a Playoff game.

Meanwhile, CIT football has...hmmm, let’s see what’s been accomplished recently...oh yeah...they’ve torn down half their stadium in favor of Charleston Southern-style temporary aluminum bleachers.

Lookin’ good down there in Chucktown! bellhops on a roll!!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/X7hkPsLpkBo/0.jpg

http://aptwebassets1.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/08/Charleston-Southern-Gridiron-RS-52T-2-Web.jpg

That’s a much better and more relevant stat than anything that happened more than 20 years ago, for sure

Or I could cherry pick periods of time like you guys and incorporate just the last 4 years into the discussion

Furman has a big history and they have played better in the last two years than in the two preceding those - but nobody cares about the “old days”

It’s like Army talking about when they were the most formidable team in the country-

Our stadium still holds more seats than ticket sales (a national FCS problem with only a few exceptions)- but don’t despair - we’ll soon have a nice visitor’s side again (hopefully with a pisswall) for you to park your rear end and watch Mercer find ways to lose to us well into the future

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2018, 06:32 PM
That’s a much better and more relevant stat than anything that happened more than 20 years ago, for sure

Or I could cherry pick periods of time like you guys and incorporate just the last 4 years into the discussion

Furman has a big history and they have played better in the last two years than in the two preceding those - but nobody cares about the “old days”

It’s like Army talking about when they were the most formidable team in the country-

Our stadium still holds more seats than ticket sales (a national FCS problem with only a few exceptions)- but don’t despair - we’ll soon have a nice visitor’s side again (hopefully with a pisswall) for you to park your rear end and watch Mercer find ways to lose to us well into the futureCID1990's flyting ability is something I have sorely missed

CID1990
November 30th, 2018, 06:33 PM
This is getting as bad as the Wofford-Kennesaw thread, which has little to do with the topic at hand.

That’s because the thread attracted a butthurt Mercer fan because of us, and a butthurt Furman fan because of you

Like mosquitoes

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 07:10 PM

Did someone say cherry pick? We better not tell them that the series is all tied up at 5-5 over the last 10 or waaaaay better yet, 31-31 over the last 62 games between The Citadel and Furman.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx I actually love cherries.xembarrassedx

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 07:13 PM
...nobody cares about the “old days”

...watch Mercer find ways to lose to us well into the future

Ahhh...yes, The Citadel is widely known as an institution that ignores history & focuses only on recent events...such as Mercer finding this way ‘to lose to’ the ranked xeyebrowx bellhops in their most recent trip to JH-1/2-S.

MERCER -VS- # 17 THE CITADEL

Team
F

MER

CIT

DATE:10/7/2017
SITE:Charleston, S.C.
STADIUM:Johnson Hagood 1/2 a Stadium

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Did someone say cherry pick? We better not tell them that the series is all tied up at 5-5 over the last 10 or waaaaay better yet, 31-31 over the last 62 games between The Citadel and Furman.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx I actually love cherries.xembarrassedxCan we talk about Wofford's record against y'all since going D1? lol

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Ahhh...yes, The Citadel is widely known as an institution that ignores history & focuses only on recent events...such as Mercer finding this way ‘to lose to’ the ranked xeyebrowx bellhops in their most recent trip to JH-1/2-S.

MERCER -VS- # 17 THE CITADEL

Team
F

MER

CIT

DATE:10/7/2017
SITE:Charleston, S.C.
STADIUM:Johnson Hagood 1/2 a Stadium

Let's just get it all out on the table then shall we? If you want to talk history, we did have a string of 6 wins and a tie before that.xnodxxlolx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29632&stc=1

ElCid
November 30th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Can we talk about Wofford's record against y'all since going D1? lol

Talk about cherry picking......:D

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 07:34 PM
I actually love cherries.

All-time series
Furman, 60–35–3
🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

Eat up!

FUBeAR
November 30th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Let's just get it all out on the table then shall we? If you want to talk history, we did have a string of 6 wins and a tie before that.xnodxxlolx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29632&stc=1

So, still another trend pointing to the decline of the bellhops.

CID1990
November 30th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Can we talk about Wofford's record against y'all since going D1? lol

No

This thread is for butthurt vermin and vermin hybrids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk