PDA

View Full Version : Mike Houston is gone

Pages : [1] 2

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 01:38 PM
https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/1067864086430605313

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 01:39 PM
BUT HE'S NEVER LEAVING FOR ANYTHING BUT A MAJOR P5 JOB!

I CAANT BELIEVE IT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:39 PM
That is not a good move for him. 5 years ago he was at some no name D2 school and he's making a good pace for a G5 job eventually, but man is Charlotte a bad place to be.

I think JMU may lose now.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 01:43 PM
That is not a good move for him. 5 years ago he was at some no name D2 school and he's making a good pace for a G5 job eventually, but man is Charlotte a bad place to be.

What the school was doesn't really mean THAT much.

Look at what Bill Clark is doing at UAB

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Man, at first glance that does not seem like a real good move but I gotta trust that he is doing what he sees as best for his situation.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 01:44 PM

I think JMU may lose now.Agreed - not the move...could be a Huesman situation, though...sorta...maybe he thinks that the cupboard is looking thin in Harrisonburg for 2019 & feels he needs to jump to FBS now instead of wait for a better gig. Just conjecture.

But....dammit....I took JMU in the FCS survivor pool...guess I’ll stick with them....maybe.

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Did it just like Bohl, too. In the middle of a playoff run.

Kind of sours me on him just like it did for Bohl when he left.

CAAnt pass up a G5 job when they open up, I guess.

UNHWildcat18
November 28th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I like their stadium (perfect for FCS) but they are a no name program in the G5, I thought the guy would only leave for a P-5 conference or a very upper tier G-5 team AAC/MWC essentially.

****ty ass move if its true. stick with 25k stadium JMU getting paid at G-5 level while competing for a NC..............or get paid the same to work at a **** CUSA school that no one cares about and barely make a bottom of barrel bowl game.....

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2018, 01:52 PM

He overplayed his hand when Georgia Southern was in negotiations with him, asking for too much money if you ask me. Southern would've been a one or two-year pit stop on the way to a P5 job.

Now he's at a place where it'll take a few years to build the roster up. He's going to go to a team where he has less talent than at JMU to play better opponents. Good luck...

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Off topic to Mike Houston but on topic to coaching changes:

Brent Venables to Georgia Tech then Chris Klieman to Clemson as DC?

Professor
November 28th, 2018, 01:57 PM
Great hire for Charlotte and Houston can make them a 7 to 9 win team

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2018, 02:00 PM

Really? If you are working a project for your employer and are a few weeks to a month away from completing it (with other employees involved) and you get a new, better job offer I wouldn't think people would/should be looking down their nose at you for it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Really? If you are working a project for your employer and are a few weeks to a month away from completing it (with other employees involved) and you get a new, better job offer I wouldn't think people would/should be looking down their nose at you for it.

The early signing day has changed everything as far as coaching hires go.

They really need to get rid of it.

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 02:02 PM
If you look at it, it's a relatively decent move

They will pay.
It's still a G5 job
It's not the toughest G5 league so he had a chance to build a competitor relatively quick
They've been bad and showing the ability to get them to 7 or 8 wins will get him moved up again

He reached his ceiling of what he was going to get from JMU

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 02:06 PM

There's always two sides of the coin. Yours has just as much validity. I guess I'm more sour on Bohl for some OTHER things regarding recruits, etc.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Agreed - not the move...could be a Huesman situation, though...sorta...maybe he thinks that the cupboard is looking thin in Harrisonburg for 2019 & feels he needs to jump to FBS now instead of wait for a better gig. Just conjecture.

But....dammit....I took JMU in the FCS survivor pool...guess I’ll stick with them....maybe.
Wrong.
For the majority of last season started 14 seniors (7 on each side of the ball).

For majority of this season has started 2 seniors (1 on each side of the ball)

2019 due to return 20 starters + the All American/pre season CAA Defensive POTY Rashard Robinson (season ending turf toe injury few days before opener with NC State).
57 players listed on the 2 deep vs UD, only 8 seniors

This year's team was going to be a rebuild & while very talented, too young to make Frisco. Whoever steps in next year is going to inherit a LOADED, talented, experienced team. If not hammered by offseason losses or injuries, the potential to be as good or better than 2016-2017.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I don't get this. Unless there's a skeleton or two in his closest like Bohl had he should have been able to parlay the JMU gig into something better. Ultimately, he did no better than Withers imo.

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I don't get this. Unless there's a skeleton or two in his closest like Bohl had he should have been able to parlay the JMU gig into something better. Ultimately, he did no better than Withers imo.

People keep saying this - but look at where the TOP FCS coaches are going. They aren't going to P5 schools, much less "decent" G5 schools. If they want to keep moving up they have to go G5.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 02:13 PM
One thing worth noting:

Houston has had all/most of his success with players other coaches have recruited.

BisonBacker
Don't see this as a good move for him but best of luck anyway. Should be interesting to see how JMU plays out with the playoffs and who they get to replace him.

walliver
Mike Houston has shown he can make things happen as a coach. When he arrived at The Citadel, they hadn't won a SoCon championship or gone to the I-AA/FCS playoffs for 22 years. In his second year he did both.
He quickly took a good JMU team and briefly made them great.
I don't doubt he will make waves in Charlotte (C-USA ain't what it used to be).
My only concern about him, and if I were a P5 AD it would really bother me, is that he hasn't shown any long-term success. Most of the Citadel's success was with players recruited by his predecessor. JMU, though not really down, isn't as dominant as his first year. He was at Lenoir-Rhyne 3 years, El Cid 2 years, and now JMU 3 years. As a head coach he has never stayed long enough that he coached a team of his recruits only.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 02:14 PM

Same here, but its not like we were going to make Frisco (see my previous post). IMHOP these things shouldn't be done until after you're eliminated from the playoffs, or at least until after the semis if you make it that far. Its still Nov. Would have been better to wait until after JMU lost to NDSU next week. Now we might not even beat Colgate.

Bisonoline
November 28th, 2018, 02:15 PM
The early signing day has changed everything as far as coaching hires go.

They really need to get rid of it.

Correct. I have never liked coaches leaving a team when they are going to a playoff or bowl game. Because of recruiting and needing a head coach in place beating the bushes this is when a move needs to take place.

Bohls departure was a snafu because some asshole at WY leaked it before Bohl could address the team.

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Same here, but its not like we were going to make Frisco (see my previous post). IMHOP these things shouldn't be done until after you're eliminated from the playoffs, or at least until after the semis if you make it that far. Its still Nov. Would have been better to wait until after JMU lost to NDSU next week. Now we might not even beat Colgate.

Charlotte would never be waiting dude, that early signing day is closing quick.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 02:16 PM
People keep saying this - but look at where the TOP FCS coaches are going. They aren't going to P5 schools, much less "decent" G5 schools. If they want to keep moving up they have to go G5.

I think he could have gotten a lower end P5 job or an AAC gig. At the very least something better than CHARLOTTE!! I think going the Moorhead route and beginning a P5 coordinator is always a good decision when it comes to "moving up".

At the end of the day his choice. If it doesn't work out and gets fired he'll still get a buyout.

URMite
November 28th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Charlotte is 12-36 in FBS and still looking for their first .500 season. I guess now they will find it...

Gangtackle11
November 28th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Who gets the JMU job?

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Wrong.
For the majority of last season started 14 seniors (7 on each side of the ball).

For majority of this season has started 2 seniors (1 on each side of the ball)

2019 due to return 20 starters + the All American/pre season CAA Defensive POTY Rashard Robinson (season ending turf toe injury few days before opener with NC State).
57 players listed on the 2 deep vs UD, only 8 seniors

This year's team was going to be a rebuild & while very talented, too young to make Frisco. Whoever steps in next year is going to inherit a LOADED, talented, experienced team. If not hammered by offseason losses or injuries, the potential to be as good or better than 2016-2017.Conjecture, by definition, has a definite possibility of being...”Wrong.”

Good to know just how awesome the Dukes ARE...I say ARE, instead of “gonna be”...because the Playoff are kinda, sorta “next year.” All that youth has 12 games under their belts now. Sure, they’ll gain some weight in the off-season, get a little stronger, etc...and get in maybe 2 or 3 new Players that make an impact...maybe some injured guys back, but all of that is, somewhat, offset by losing 8 Sr. Regulars. So, in a sense, the 2019 JMU Team (less the SR’s) will be on display THIS Saturday.

With your unwavering assurance, I’ll stay with them to beat Colgate then....but if I get knocked out of the Survivor Game this week...it’s on you, BDKJMU!

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 02:25 PM
I think he could have gotten a lower end P5 job or an AAC gig. At the very least something better than CHARLOTTE!! I think going the Moorhead route and beginning a P5 coordinator is always a good decision when it comes to "moving up".

At the end of the day his choice. If it doesn't work out and gets fired he'll still get a buyout.If he was going to find it had have found it with the way his first two years went plus another playoff run this year.

It is interesting to look at good career though

So much success, never with guys he recruited

Derby City Duke
November 28th, 2018, 02:26 PM
What a coincidence -- Withers is available again xthumbsupx We need some juice around Harrisonburg...

I think he'll do fine at Charlotte.

As to those who say he's only succeeded with other coach's players, he's significantly elevated the play of those same players -- in a way that the previous coach's could not. He had mostly the same players on defense in his 1st year at JMU that couldn't stop a 5-year-old in a game of 'Red Rover' and made it into a unit that won a title. The defense was good enough to win last year, we just got outplayed at QB in Frisco.

We'll be in trouble if we lose the bulk of the recruiting class. I would expect the two coordinators to go with him.

Expect Saturday is JMU's last game this season.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 02:30 PM
What confirmation do we have other than a couple of guys posting this on twitter?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 02:32 PM
If he was going to find it had have found it with the way his first two years went plus another playoff run this year.

It is interesting to look at good career though

So much success, never with guys he recruited

I guess. There has to be something there though to limit his options to Charlotte. Given where some of the other highly successful FCS coaches landed this just seems odd. His taking over a FBS program with zero track record of success in their short history. He's also going to be working for an athletic department that had a serious falling out in recent years. North Carolina is also a bit oversaturated in terms of Division 1 football. With Grandpop Brown back in Chapel Hill all eyes will be on Keenan Stadium.

Sycamore62
November 28th, 2018, 02:34 PM

I CAANT BELIEVE IT

when he shows up to his first press conference with a Tarheels shirt on and realizes what the "C" stands for......

Daytripper
November 28th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Off topic to Mike Houston but on topic to coaching changes:

Brent Venables to Georgia Tech then Chris Klieman to Clemson as DC?

This makes sense for Klieman. It is an easier path to a P5 HC job if you are a P5 Coordinator with successful head coaching experience than trying to go the HC route from FCS to G5 to P5. Hell, you don't even have to have HC experience to get G5 job as long as you are a successful P5 coordinator. Word is Phil Longo, former SHSU OC, and current Ole Miss OC, is in the mix for the Texas State job.

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 02:36 PM
What confirmation do we have other than a couple of guys posting this on twitter?Bruce Feldman is a national writer who has good sources, he's the guy that broke the Craig Bohl-to-Wyoming story. Probably a good bet he's right on Mike Houston going to Charlotte.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Bruce Feldman is a national writer who has good sources, he's the guy that broke the Craig Bohl-to-Wyoming story. Probably a good bet he's right on Mike Houston going to Charlotte.

He also posted about Conklin to Wofford and Wofford is a program with fewer mouths to keep shut about those sort of things. It's pretty reliable.

Silenoz
November 28th, 2018, 02:42 PM
"But he had a kid in high school and really likes it here" - every fan of every team ever immediately before the coach leaves

Daytripper
November 28th, 2018, 02:43 PM
So....who will JMU snag?

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Houston's buyout is also much smaller for Charlotte than it would've been for a P5 (or even an AAC) job. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Regardless I bet when the financials of the deal comes out it'll make more sense. Competitively this is a lateral move at best. Financially I'd guess he's doubling to tripling his yearly salary.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2018, 02:47 PM

At the end of the day his choice. If it doesn't work out and gets fired he'll still get a buyout.

You have to coach at the G5 level to get to the P5 level. In the past few seasons, we've seen Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Willie Taggart, Matt Rhule, Justin Fuente, Jeff Brohm, Dino Babers, and Matt Campbell move on from G5 jobs to P5 jobs.

The only FCS head coaches that have moved directly to P5 jobs in the last 20 seasons are Jim Harbaugh and Jim Tressel.

It doesn't really make sense because coaches that do well at FCS jobs usually do well in the G5, but it is what it is.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Charlotte is 12-36 in FBS and still looking for their first .500 season. I guess now they will find it...
And they avg UNDER 12k fans last season and this season.
Here's their attendance this year:
Houston reportedly turned down GSU (and Rice) last year, so given that, other than being from NC, taking the UNCC job doesn't make any sense.

Silenoz
November 28th, 2018, 02:48 PM
You have to coach at the G5 level to get to the P5 level. In the past few seasons, we've seen Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Willie Taggart, Matt Rhule, Justin Fuente, Jeff Brohm, Dino Babers, and Matt Campbell move on from G5 jobs to P5 jobs.

The only FCS head coaches that have moved directly to P5 jobs in the last 20 seasons are Jim Harbaugh and Jim Tressel.

It doesn't really make sense because coaches that do well at FCS jobs usually do well in the G5, but it is what it is.
The Furman guy?

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 02:50 PM
The Furman guy?
Bobby Johnson.

Good call.

Schism55
November 28th, 2018, 02:50 PM
This seems like a lateral move at best to me. Charlotte sucks rocks.
Really interested to see who JMU hires..

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 02:51 PM

I fully understand that. But he's taken over arguably the worst G5 gig of them all! I mean someone has to take that job. I just didn't expect it to be Houston!

Moorhead had a pretty "smart" climb to a SEC P5 job. Granted, his pure coaching ability (especially on offense) is probably considered higher than Houston's.

Daytripper
November 28th, 2018, 02:52 PM
I fully understand that. But he's taken over arguably the worst G5 gig of them all! I mean someone has to take that job. I just didn't expect it to be Houston!

Moorhead had a pretty "smart" climb to a SEC P5 job. Granted, his pure coaching ability (especially on offense) is probably considered higher than Houston's.

He's going to make bank. If he fails at Charlotte, he can drop right back down to FCS and probably have the pick of whatever job he wants.

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Houston reportedly turned down GSU (and Rice) last year, so given that, other than being from NC, taking the UNCC job doesn't make any sense.Wasn't the story he asked for more than GSU would pay so GSU said no

UNCC is reportedly ready to shell out near a million for him

IBleedYellow
November 28th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Houston reportedly turned down GSU (and Rice) last year, so given that, other than being from NC, taking the UNCC job doesn't make any sense.

He wanted more money - Charlotte gave him more money.

Money talks.

dgtw
November 28th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I think it is a good move for him. Charlotte went 5-7 so they weren’t that bad. He should be able to get them going quickly. He also knows the recruiting area so that will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deez_na
November 28th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Charlotte? Yikes. I didn't see that coming. A team that has hardly ever reach .500 and that's going to help his resume?

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Houston's buyout is also much smaller for Charlotte than it would've been for a P5 (or even an AAC) job. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

Regardless I bet when the financials of the deal comes out it'll make more sense. Competitively this is a lateral move at best. Financially I'd guess he's doubling to tripling his yearly salary.

I'd be surprised if it was even doubling. Houston's base was nearly TWICE what Lambert's was at UNCC.

"..Lambert, 53, has two years remaining on hiscontract, which was extended in February 2017 through the 2020 season. The49ers will pay him a buyout of about $515,000, twice his annual base salary of $256,795."
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article221875065.html

Houston
$515,311 base (390k + 125k)
$50,000 retention bonus on Feb. 1.
565,000 guaranteed
All of his bonuses and incentives stay the same from the initialextension he inked after last season. Max possible $145,625:
$31,250 making playoffs
$5,000 winning CAA
$46,875 winning 3 playoff games ($15,625 per playoff win)
$31,250 making NC game
$31,250 winning NC
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/houston-nets-big-raise
Total max possible: $710,936

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Charlotte? Yikes. I didn't see that coming. A team that has hardly ever reach .500 and that's going to help his resume?
You could ask the same thing about Bohl and Why?oming...

deez_na
November 28th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that move either.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Wyoming has some history of success at the FBS level. Plus, it's the only show in town. I thought Wyoming was a respectable landing spot considering Bohl's little mis-step at Nebraska.

I find it interesting that the two most recent coaches that left JMU did so for Texas State and Charlotte. That's the bottom of the barrel when it comes to winning culture.

Bisonator
November 28th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Mike Houston has shown he can make things happen as a coach. When he arrived at The Citadel, they hadn't won a SoCon championship or gone to the I-AA/FCS playoffs for 22 years. In his second year he did both.
He quickly took a good JMU team and briefly made them great.
I don't doubt he will make waves in Charlotte (C-USA ain't what it used to be).
My only concern about him, and if I were a P5 AD it would really bother me, is that he hasn't shown any long-term success. Most of the Citadel's success was with players recruited by his predecessor. JMU, though not really down, isn't as dominant as his first year. He was at Lenoir-Rhyne 3 years, El Cid 2 years, and now JMU 3 years. As a head coach he has never stayed long enough that he coached a team of his recruits only.
I agree with this. How did The Citadel do with his recruits after he left? He's never spent more then 2-3 years at a place has he? Makes you wonder about a few things. Maybe his rah rah pre game speeches only go so far.

deez_na
November 28th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Wyoming has some history of success at the FBS level. Plus, it's the only show in town. I thought Wyoming was a respectable landing spot considering Bohl's little mis-step at Nebraska.

I find it interesting that the two most recent coaches that left JMU did so for Texas State and Charlotte. That's the bottom of the barrel when it comes to winning culture.
Very true, Charlotte seems like an even tougher place to win than Wyoming.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2018, 03:18 PM
From what I heard, Mike Houston asked for $900k from us. We could've afforded that, but Chad Lunsford had done such a good job as the interim coach and we didn't need to break the piggy bank for him (and given he made a turnaround from 2-10 to 9-3 in a single season, that choice was vindicated).

I'm betting UNCC had to pay more than that, because he could've won right away at GSU yet UNCC is going to take years of rebuilding and it's going to be harder to look sexy for P5 schools there. I hope for Houston's sake that JMU's apparent slide from what they were in 2016 and 2017 wasn't recruiting falling off...

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Twitter is Twitter so some grains of salt advised

I've seen he will get about 900k plus incentives

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Wasn't the story he asked for more than GSU would pay so GSU said no

UNCC is reportedly ready to shell out near a million for him

Surprising, because they paid their just fired HC about 1/4 of that.
If you're paying the 10 assistants proportionally then you'd be looking at ballpark 2-2.5 million base for the entire staff.
Given UNCC's paltry attendance & facilties they must have found a pile of $ somewhere..

centennial
November 28th, 2018, 03:26 PM
This is the reality of being mid major (to use a basketball term). There will always be bigger schools to steal your coaches. It's almost destroyed NDSU basketball.

Hope you keep your recruits.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 03:29 PM
NDSU fans: At what point in the playoffs back in 2013? was the announcement made that Bohl was taking the Wyoming job?

centennial
November 28th, 2018, 03:33 PM
NDSU fans: At what point in the playoffs back in 2013? was the announcement made that Bohl was taking the Wyoming job?

In the middle of the playoffs. That was an all time great FCS team. Klieman and couple of assistants that didn't follow ran the team. Meanwhile Bohl was recruiting for Wyoming at NDSU. Also stole a few recruits, 1 made the NFL ( not 100% sure).

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 03:36 PM
From what I heard, Mike Houston asked for $900k from us. We could've afforded that, but Chad Lunsford had done such a good job as the interim coach and we didn't need to break the piggy bank for him (and given he made a turnaround from 2-10 to 9-3 in a single season, that choice was vindicated).

I'm betting UNCC had to pay more than that, because he could've won right away at GSU yet UNCC is going to take years of rebuilding and it's going to be harder to look sexy for P5 schools there. I hope for Houston's sake that JMU's apparent slide from what they were in 2016 and 2017 wasn't recruiting falling off...

Georgia Southern would have been a much better gig! Maybe Houston wasn't comfortable running the option at the FBS level? Not saying he had to but most assumed he would given his time in Charleston.

Isn't there a chance App State opens? That's a very good G5 job! Satterfield has put in a respectable 6 years in Boone. He's the type of guy I'd want to build a program around.

Maybe athletic AD's/administration aren't too fond of Houston?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2018, 03:37 PM

Yeah, other than Jim Tressel it is a pretty rare occurrence in my memory banks. This is absolutely normal even for very good FCS coaches.

FargoBison
November 28th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Pretty sure it was week before the quarterfinals.

It was a mess, fortunately the team was senior loaded and had Klieman.

BEAR
November 28th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Did it just like Bohl , too. In the middle of a playoff run.

Kinda like Campbell that left UCA first playoff game for Southern Alabama. Turned the team right over...:(

BEAR
November 28th, 2018, 03:45 PM
There needs to be something in a coach's contract that restricts them from interviewing for another job during their team's active playoff time.

kdinva
November 28th, 2018, 03:46 PM

.....and going to a school whose stadium is 10K smaller......maybe he can convince donors, alums, etc., to upgrade to 30K or so......similar to Liberty & ODU....

Professor Chaos

Pretty sure it was the quarterfinals.

It was a mess, fortunately the team was senior loaded and had Klieman.
It was leaked on a Saturday night after a 2nd round playoff win over Furman. I believe Bohl's plan was to get the team together that Sunday and tell them but due the news leaking early the players found out via twitter... not an ideal situation.

On Sunday the AD called a meeting with just the players and talked through whether they wanted to let Bohl coach the season out (which Bohl wanted to do). They decided to let him continue but I'm not sure they thought that was the right decision in retrospect. There's some details in a book that the Fargo Forum's beat writer wrote a few years back but there was a pretty good rift between the coaches that were leaving (all but 3) and the coaches that were staying. There were rumors that the coaches leaving were recruiting for Wyoming while "on the clock" with NDSU and I even heard that the outgoing coaches took every bit of recruiting "intelligence" with them even though part of the agreement between the outgoing staff and the NDSU AD was that they couldn't contact any NDSU verbals unless contacted first (which I'm not sure if that was really enforceable anyway).

Regardless it's a tough situation as no coaching move is ever going to have ideal timing especially with the early signing period these days. Hopefully it'll be as smooth a transition as possible for the sake of the team that still has a lot to play for this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Yeah, other than Jim Tressel it is a pretty rare occurrence in my memory banks. This is absolutely normal even for very good FCS coaches.

Donnan went from Marshall when they were still 1-AA to Georgia. London went from Richmond to Virginia recently

Johnson to Navy was a good "fit". The Middies had fallen off but had been good with McCoy at QB in the late 90's.

I'm not at all surprised he left JMU for a G5 school. It's the fact he went to Charlotte. Even Pistol Pete Lembo was able to turn Elon into David Letterman U. and some MACtion....

centennial
November 28th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Objectively, MVFC, CAA and Big Sky aren't that big of a jump from lower G5, if at all. However, you have to sell to the boosters, they don't want "D2" coaches. Most AD's would rather hire some no name P5 OC/DC vs a great FCS coach.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 28th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Donnan went from Marshall when they were still 1-AA to Georgia. London went from Richmond to Virginia recently

Johnson to Navy was a good "fit". The Middies had fallen off but had been good with McCoy at QB in the late 90's.

I'm not at all surprised he left JMU for a G5 school. It's the fact he went to Charlotte. Even Pistol Pete Lembo was able to turn Elon into David Letterman U. and some MACtion....

Yes, that ain't very many though considering all the coaching shifts though. Pretty dang rare and Tressell and Donnan were in the mid/late 90's. That is 20 yrs. removed and we only have a couple since.

CockyGeek
November 28th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I need to change my votes!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 04:13 PM
It was leaked on a Saturday night after a 2nd round playoff win over Furman. I believe Bohl's plan was to get the team together that Sunday and tell them but due the news leaking early the players found out via twitter... not an ideal situation.

On Sunday the AD called a meeting with just the players and talked through whether they wanted to let Bohl coach the season out (which Bohl wanted to do). They decided to let him continue but I'm not sure they thought that was the right decision in retrospect. There's some details in a book that the Fargo Forum's beat writer wrote a few years back but there was a pretty good rift between the coaches that were leaving (all but 3) and the coaches that were staying. There were rumors that the coaches leaving were recruiting for Wyoming while "on the clock" with NDSU and I even heard that the outgoing coaches took every bit of recruiting "intelligence" with them even though part of the agreement between the outgoing staff and the NDSU AD was that they couldn't contact any NDSU verbals unless contacted first (which I'm not sure if that was really enforceable anyway).

Regardless it's a tough situation as no coaching move is ever going to have ideal timing especially with the early signing period these days. Hopefully it'll be as smooth a transition as possible for the sake of the team that still has a lot to play for this year.
Per the JMU board Houston won't be coaching on Saturday. I have no idea if that was JMU's or Houston's decision (or if UNCC insisted no). I would think Houston would want to continue coaching the playoffs like Bohl did, but I don't know.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 04:18 PM
There needs to be something in a coach's contract that restricts them from interviewing for another job during their team's active playoff time.
I'm sure that could be out into a contract, but you're going to restrict who you're going to get.

Same if you make a buyout too high. JMU's buyout was 500k if Houston left for a G5, 1 million for a P5. Hopefully that will be bumped up for the next guy (maybe 750k G5/1.5 million P5). But if you bump it too high, it will restrict who you can hire.

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 04:21 PM

I CAANT BELIEVE IT

I don't know how many posts I read like that on the interwebs and laughed.

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Per the JMU board Houston won't be coaching on Saturday. I have no idea if that was JMU's or Houston's decision (or if UNCC insisted no). I would think Houston would want to continue coaching the playoffs like Bohl did, but I don't know.

Wow that sucks for the kids on the team. Maybe this has been answered I haven't read the hole thread, but is he taking a lot of people with him?

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Just pointed out on the JMU board. 67 year old Mack was just hired out of
a 5 year retirement to become the new HC at UNC. Unless he tries pulling a Joe Paterno, I can't imagine Brown coaches the Tarholes more than a few years given his age. If Houston can turn UNCC around quickly, he could be a top candidate to succeed Brown at UNC..

katss07
November 28th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Wow, wasn’t sure this day would come. It seemed like JMU was ready to build a dynasty after the upset in Fargo. They seem far from that now.

FCS or FBS, JMU is a better job than Charlotte!

TheKingpin28
November 28th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Wow, wasn’t sure this day would come. It seemed like JMU was ready to build a dynasty after the upset in Fargo. They seem far from that now.

FCS or FBS, JMU is a better job than Charlotte!

Really? Most people probably knew Houston would leave eventually unless JMU moved up.

centennial
November 28th, 2018, 04:46 PM

Sorry to say, Bohl barely coached. The coaches planned for games in different rooms. Most of his time was spend trying to get recruits for Wyoming. Cut your losses and move on. If you have great coordinators you can offer them a job (but that can be a gamble). NDSU has a whole coaching tree (Gus Bradley, Craig Bohl, few ex players, Atif Austin went to the Patriots in the off season) to pull from.

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 04:46 PM
In my opinion I believe he has a better chance, if he is successful, at getting a P5 offer from a G5 position than going from FCS to P5.

edit

I guess many others have already posted this same thought.

katss07
November 28th, 2018, 04:53 PM
UNC should have looked at him. Mack Brown is an old **** who won’t last 10 years.

GreenGlasses
November 28th, 2018, 05:07 PM

I don't understand this from 90% of the people saying it. Charlotte is only in their 6th year of football 2 in IAA 4 in CUSA and IA. And it wasn't like they were the bottom of the barrel this year. Another win and they were bowl eligible.

Also the NDSU guy saying that Wyoming was a good job and Charlotte is horrible. Lets see you try recruiting kids to either Laramie WY or Charlotte NC. I bet you have a lot more easier time selling kids to Charlotte than middle of no where Laramie.

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 05:17 PM
UNC should have looked at him. Mack Brown is an old **** who won’t last 10 years.
Don't need him too.

He's known to UNC fans. If he comes in and gives them 4 or 5 years of improvement and "life" back into the program they can grab someone (like a Mike Houston) that has ties in the Carolina region and has proven to be a winner

NEBison
November 28th, 2018, 05:18 PM
I don't understand this from 90% of the people saying it. Charlotte is only in their 6th year of football 2 in IAA 4 in CUSA and IA. And it wasn't like they were the bottom of the barrel this year. Another win and they were bowl eligible.

Also the NDSU guy saying that Wyoming was a good job and Charlotte is horrible. Lets see you try recruiting kids to either Laramie WY or Charlotte NC. I bet you have a lot more easier time selling kids to Charlotte than middle of no where Laramie.

That's fair but there is also a lot less competition for recruits at Wyoming.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 05:22 PM

Wyoming is a solid gig. If you can sell recruits on Fargo, Bozeman, Missoula, Brookings etc you can sell Laramie. Plus, it's really not THAT far away from the populated area of the Colorado Front Range. Wyoming football has some legit history of success. Having all the state's resources being funneled into 1 place obviously helps.

Charlotte was better this year but they were also veteran team. I just wouldn't want to work for that that athletic department at this time. It's the same reason why I wouldn't touch the ECU gig.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Does Houston owe Brian Schor anything?

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Houston interview this evening after practice. Neither school has made a statement, and Houston only confirmed he has been contacted by UNCC and offered a job. One thing to consider is he said Charlotte is 2 1/2 hrs from his parents..Houston is 47. I assume his parents are in their 70s or 80s. Don't know their health or family situation. Like some people speculated on the JMU board- he probably wanted to wait until after the playoffs to take the UNCC job, but it was leaked by UNCC beforehand to force his hand. He does seem a little pissed. Said his focus is on Colgate, but yeah, he's gone:
https://twitter.com/TheBreezeSports/status/1067919780580139008

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Houston interview this evening after practice. Neither school has made a statement, and Houston only confirmed he has been contacted by UNCC and offered a job. One thing to consider is he said Charlotte is 2 1/2 hrs from his parents..Houston is 47. I assume his parents are in their 70s or 80s. Don't know their health or family situation. Like some people speculated on the JMU board- he probably wanted to wait until after the playoffs to take the UNCC job, but it was leaked by UNCC beforehand to force his hand. He does seem a little pissed. Said his focus is on Colgate, but yeah, he's gone:
https://twitter.com/TheBreezeSports/status/1067919780580139008
Very similar to the leak that happened when Bohl left NDSU and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if both leaks were intentional by the destination schools to essentially force the coach to make his intentions known so he can start recruiting for his new gig rather than split his workload between both his incoming and outgoing jobs to "keep up appearances".

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 28th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Piss poor timing like the Bohl situation at NDSU.

JMU is a prime FCS job, maybe the best, they will get a good coach.

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 05:57 PM
How is JMUs senior leadership?

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Wasn't the story he asked for more than GSU would pay so GSU said no. UNCC is reportedly ready to shell out near a million for him

He wanted more money - Charlotte gave him more money.
Money talks.
To be closer to his aging parents might be as big as the $$.

Schism55
November 28th, 2018, 06:02 PM
https://twitter.com/JMUSports/status/1067926081599152129

JMUNJ08
November 28th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Very similar to the leak that happened when Bohl left NDSU and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if both leaks were intentional by the destination schools to essentially force the coach to make his intentions known so he can start recruiting for his new gig rather than split his workload between both his incoming and outgoing jobs to "keep up appearances".

Don't disagree with the incoming school's reason to leak it but in my mind, if my new employer went and told everyone I was going there before I could have the decency to do it myself, not sure I really want to get into bed with them. It shows I'm a commodity and they do not care about me personally, just their own agenda.

Shocked its Charlotte but a number of things fit their for him that Texas State never did for Withers. I do wish him luck and hope he keeps being successful at his craft.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 06:14 PM

Jim Harbaugh from San Diego to Stanford..

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Harbaugh went from San Diego to Michigan..
Harbaugh went to the 49ers....

After a stop at Stanford.

You're not even close

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 06:21 PM
If Charlotte leaked this to force Houston's hand I would turn it down because it's an asshole thing to do.

Here's the thing about Charlotte: there's literally no difference if he starts recruiting now or after the playoffs. You're Charlotte.

I've had relatives and friends go through the recruiting process. Who the head coach is isn't necessarily the biggest decider for not blue-chip recruits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 06:22 PM
To be closer to his aging parents might be as big as the $$.You act like 2.5 hours is "long distance"

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 28th, 2018, 06:22 PM
To be closer to his aging parents might be as big as the $$.

Interestingly, the closest FBS schools to Mike Houston's hometown (Franklin, NC) aren't in North Carolina.

Clemson is 1:25 away
University of Georgia is 2 hours away
Georgia State/Georgia Tech is 2:10 away
University of Tennessee is 2:20 away
UNCC is 3 hours away
App State is 3 hours away
Wake Forest is 3:20 away

Obviously he wasn't going to ever get a head coaching gig at Clemson or Georgia but Georgia Tech isn't insanely far-fetched. Or even the (equally weak IMO) opportunity to coach at Georgia State when their current HC (likely) gets axed in a couple years. With that said, he seems a North Carolina guy through and through. He strikes me as the kind of guy who will buy a nice big house on Lake Norman and be happy with that lifestyle more than living in suburban Atlanta

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2018, 06:24 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/2novyj.jpg

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 28th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Also alternate hot take: What if the reason why Mike Houston hasn't officially accepted the offer is because he is talking to Georgia Tech now that Paul Johnson is stepping down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Also alternate hot take: What if the reason why Mike Houston hasn't officially accepted the offer is because he is talking to Georgia Tech now that Paul Johnson is stepping down.

Temple's Geoff Collins seems to be the betting favorite to end up in Atlanta. If he does bolt we'll be on our 5th head coach in less than a decade. Brutal.....

NDSU1980
November 28th, 2018, 06:33 PM

But it's still $500,000. I'm still puzzled by the low buyout that Klieman has in his contract. That provision has made me nervous since the contract was signed.

TheKingpin28
November 28th, 2018, 06:34 PM

I doubt GT would be glad with a non Triple Option offense.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 06:35 PM

Bohannnnoonnnnnnnn

TheKingpin28
November 28th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Bohannnnoonnnnnnnn

https://media.tenor.com/images/78694b81ca25bc38984011db05aca57e/tenor.gif

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 28th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Houston coached at the Citadel where they use the Triple Option

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Plot Twist: Jeff Brohm at Purdue has turned Louisville down, and App State's Scott Satterfield is said to be the next target. I'm betting App would've been interested in Houston if he were not locked in at UNCC.

The early signing day has every school playing frantic musical chairs with coaching hires rather than having time to be methodical and careful.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
November 28th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Plot Twist: Jeff Brohm at Purdue has turned Louisville down, and App State's Scott Satterfield is said to be the next target. I'm betting App would've been interested in Houston if he were not locked in at UNCC.

The early signing day has every school playing frantic musical chairs with coaching hires rather than having time to be methodical and careful.

This also crossed my mind. I don't see any scenario where he remains at JMU but I can see him holding out for App State.

TheKingpin28
November 28th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Houston coached at the Citadel where they use the Triple Option

He was there for 2 years and in those 2 years he threw for almost 1000yds a season, that has only been done 1x since he has been gone. I'm not saying he couldn't do it, I'm just thinking he would rather have a more RPO/WCO style offense to run, especially if UNCC is not his last stop. If he can go .500 there, he is gone within 3 years as well.

smallcollegefbfan
November 28th, 2018, 06:57 PM
You guys who are shocked don't get how coaches look at this stuff. EVERY G5 job is BETTER than any FCS job except maybe NDSU in their minds. Houston would have taken any Sun Belt or CUSA offer. They give more money and you can step from a G5 HC to P5 HC but you don't see a P5 team offering a HC spot to a FCS HC. I can see Houston holding out though to see what App does. He wants the App job big time.

cx500d
November 28th, 2018, 06:58 PM
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/27/triple-option-offense-army-georgia-tech

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2F2018%2F09%2F27%2Foption-tree-tim-stowers.jpg&q=70

Sports Illustrated traced the roots of option football through its 70-plus-year history, using more than 40 interviews with former or current option football coaches to document its alterations and link together its innovators. Each coach above is identified by the year he took an active role in the dissemination of the option, the program he currently runs or is best known for influencing, and the option scheme his teams were known for. (Scheme key: Split-T—red; split-back Veer—dark blue; Wishbone—green; Flexbone—purple; I-option—brown; spread—turquoise.)

Go...gate
November 28th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Didn't Woody Hayes also play the Split-T?

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 07:07 PM
You guys who are shocked don't get how coaches look at this stuff. EVERY G5 job is BETTER than any FCS job except maybe NDSU in their minds. Houston would have taken any Sun Belt or CUSA offer. They give more money and you can step from a G5 HC to P5 HC but you don't see a P5 team offering a HC spot to a FCS HC. Look at Nate Woody who left Wofford as DC and was DC at App and then DC at GT. If the job is the same job but a level above you always take it. Charlotte will pay more and could parlay into an AAC/ACC job for more money.

This

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 07:09 PM
I wonder how much of his staff will be leaving with him?

dgtw
November 28th, 2018, 07:12 PM

Even if the rule was the player had to call first, I’m sure every recruit sent a WTF text to him.

Go...gate
November 28th, 2018, 07:18 PM

Wondered about that, too. How many of those fellows are out of a job now?

jmu007
November 28th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Wondered about that, too. How many of those fellows are out of a job now?

I'd think a lot of them will have offers to stay on pending how many coaches the new hire brings in of his own. There are at least 3 or 4 now with ties to JMU outside of Houston. I'll actually be fairly surprised if he takes any either of the O or D coordinators, but we'll see. Special teams is def one of his guys though. He's gone.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 07:54 PM
You guys who are shocked don't get how coaches look at this stuff. EVERY G5 job is BETTER than any FCS job except maybe NDSU in their minds. Houston would have taken any Sun Belt or CUSA offer. They give more money and you can step from a G5 HC to P5 HC but you don't see a P5 team offering a HC spot to a FCS HC. I can see Houston holding out though to see what App does. He wants the App job big time.

JMU pays more and has better facilities than NDSU (along with a lot of G5). Doesn't have the rings. So an 'except maybe NDSU' would probably apply to JMU as well.

Not often, but you occasionally see a P5 offering a HC spot to a FCS HC. Usually to an FCS HC who has won an NC, which applies to the below except for Harbaugh..
-Jim Tressel from YSU to Ohio St.
-Jim Donnan from Marshall to UGA
-Mike London from UR to UVA.
-Jim Harbough from San Diego to Stanford.
Probably am forgetting 1-2 more.

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 07:56 PM
So you're citing maybe 6 examples over 2 plus decades of coaching changes as proof?

Professor Chaos
November 28th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Even if the rule was the player had to call first, I’m sure every recruit sent a WTF text to him.

Yeah, that's why I don't think it was enforceable. It would've been pretty tough to prove who made the first contact (recruit or coach) if the departing staff wants to be sneaky about it. To Bohl's credit he appeared to stay away from the NDSU verbals and Klieman and the remaining coaches busted their asses keeping those guys committed to the point where I don't think they lost any. The only NDSU commit that flipped to Wyoming during that recruiting cycle was a guy who committed to NDSU after Bohl had already left IIRC.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 08:20 PM
So you're citing maybe 6 examples over 2 plus decades of coaching changes as proof?

No, I'm refuting the claim that it never happens.

Sent from my Lenovo laptop using my stinky pinky.

BDKJMU
November 28th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Geez, 2nd in line to the JMU board for a meltdown over this is the ECU board..Sounds like a lot of their posters really wanted Houston and are really pissed about UNCC getting him..
https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Board/59438/Contents/UNC-Charlotte-working-to-hire-Mike-Houston-125505384/

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Geez, 2nd in line to the JMU board for a meltdown over this is the ECU board..Sounds like a lot of their posters really wanted Houston and are really pissed about UNCC getting him..
https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Board/59438/Contents/UNC-Charlotte-working-to-hire-Mike-Houston-125505384/

Keep the powder dry.....do we know if Houston officially accepted the Charlotte job? If not, he could be waiting for an ECU offer and counter?

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 08:46 PM
A lot of rumors floating around, it might not even be Charlotte.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 28th, 2018, 08:46 PM

ECU is a better job but there's been some institutional issues there. Like there's been at Charlotte.

If Houston wants to live in NC I'd wait to see if Satterfield bolts. That's a program where you can consistently win. Plus, If I'm leaving Harrisonburg (awesome) it better be for somewhere equally sweet. Boone, at least to me, fits the bill....

Hell, If Collins bounces, Houston is welcome to spend 3 years at Temple. We'll get you a quality P5 job....

whoanellie
November 28th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Jim Brakefield was at Wofford in 1969 running the wishbone not at App until later in 70's
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/27/triple-option-offense-army-georgia-tech

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2F2018%2F09%2F27%2Foption-tree-tim-stowers.jpg&q=70

Sports Illustrated traced the roots of option football through its 70-plus-year history, using more than 40 interviews with former or current option football coaches to document its alterations and link together its innovators. Each coach above is identified by the year he took an active role in the dissemination of the option, the program he currently runs or is best known for influencing, and the option scheme his teams were known for. (Scheme key: Split-T—red; split-back Veer—dark blue; Wishbone—green; Flexbone—purple; I-option—brown; spread—turquoise.)

cx500d
November 28th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Jim Brakefield was at Wofford in 1969 running the wishbone not at App until later in 70's

There's lot of that in here. Jim Wacker was at NDSU...Willie Fritz was at Sam Houston. Sometimes the article discusses some of their time at the smaller schools. Jim Wacker and Don Morton, two NDSU head coaches, wrote the book on the Veer....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51zcMKxX6hL._SX279_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

dewey
November 28th, 2018, 10:44 PM

IIRC it was announced the night after NDSU gave Coastal Carolina a butt whooping in the quarterfinals. The team then met the next morning to.decide if they wanted Bohl to remain part of the team.

There was a lot of stuff going on in the background as Klieman decided to stay and retain recruits while Bohl was working for NDSU & Wyoming at the same time.

Jeff Kolpack, Fargo Foru sports reporter, covered all of that in his book.

Good luck to coach Houston at Charlotte. It will be interesting to see who JMU gets as a coach. Is the DC head coach material?

Dewey

dewey
November 28th, 2018, 10:47 PM

^^^^This right here. Taking a substantial part of the coaching staff could decimate the next recruiting class.

Dewey

gofurman
November 28th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Bobby Johnson.

Good call.

Good point. Good memory. Bobby Johnson took Furman to national title game (lost to Montana) in 2001. Immediately got $$ at Vanderbilt SEC level

gofurman
November 28th, 2018, 11:06 PM

I had forgotten my own school. LOL

Furman's Bobby Johnson got us to the national title game in 2001. Was at Vanderbilt the next day. Not that Vandy wins much in SEC but I bet they PAY $$

smallcollegefbfan
November 28th, 2018, 11:34 PM
A lot of rumors floating around, it might not even be Charlotte.

I have heard from pretty good sources on the road that Mike Houston is waiting to see if Satterfield goes to Louisville. If that happens, he wants the App job over ECU or Charlotte. I could see him ending up at App, Charlotte, GT, or another P5 job. He is highly coveted right now.

centennial
November 28th, 2018, 11:41 PM
I have heard from pretty good sources on the road that Mike Houston is waiting to see if Satterfield goes to Louisville. If that happens, he wants the App job over ECU or Charlotte. I could see him ending up at App, Charlotte, GT, or another P5 job. He is highly coveted right now.

ECU is offering? They haven't fired their coach yet.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2018, 12:23 AM
Good point. Good memory. Bobby Johnson took Furman to national title game (lost to Montana) in 2001. Immediately got $$ at Vanderbilt SEC level...and before Bobby Johnson...Dick Sheridan moved from Furman to NC State.

Both Sheridan & Johnson were named NCAA Coach of the Year within a couple of years of making those jumps.

Sheridan later turned down the HC job at Georgia and stayed at NCSU because UGa ‘leaked’ his hire before the deal was inked. Man of principles.

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Keep the powder dry.....do we know if Houston officially accepted the Charlotte job? If not, he could be waiting for an ECU offer and counter?

....READ FO' YER-SELF...........BRAWK!

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/report-jmu-s-mike-houston-to-take-charlotte-job-houston/article_4f754743-a330-5451-8ec6-973fd30c31b8.html

BisonBacker
November 29th, 2018, 05:56 AM
The drama continues.

Daytripper
November 29th, 2018, 06:15 AM
The drama continues.

It's entertaining as hell for those whose own coaches aren't involved....

PaladinNation
November 29th, 2018, 06:20 AM
pass the popcorn…

I still remember the Gville News headline "Vandy hires Furman's Johnson."

Bison56
November 29th, 2018, 06:24 AM
It's entertaining as hell for those whose own coaches aren't involved....

Its entertaining because a year ago a lot of the JMU fans where telling everyone that he wasnt leaving anytime soon because he signed a 10 year contract.

Daytripper
November 29th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Its entertaining because a year ago a lot of the JMU fans where telling everyone that he wasnt leaving anytime soon because he signed a 10 year contract.

Yep. Contracts mean nothing.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2018, 06:43 AM

When all of us told them that Mike Houston was blowing smoke up their asses.

jmu007
November 29th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Meh, all the past few years has done is make me more jaded about non P5 and FCS in general. Have the debate all the time with friends. If you’re not P5, nobody cares. any other answer is as big a lie to yourself as people think Houston was gonna be Jimmye Laycock part 2.

However, I like football so I enjoy what we’ve got. JMU will be fine. School throws too much at it to not be. I’m actually kind of curious to see if next coach is just as effective. If so, I’d say there’s an argument that the program drives itself to some extent given the disparity in resources at FCS level. We’ll see.

Daytripper
November 29th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Meh, all the past few years has done is make me more jaded about non P5 and FCS in general. Have the debate all the time with friends. If you’re not P5, nobody cares. any other answer is as big a lie to yourself as people think Houston was gonna be Jimmye Laycock part 2.

However, I like football so I enjoy what we’ve got. JMU will be fine. School throws too much at it to not be. I’m actually kind of curious to see if next coach is just as effective. If so, I’d say there’s an argument that the program drives itself to some extent given the disparity in resources at FCS level. We’ll see.

Yes. Success at the FCS/G5 level is a double edged sword. You want your team to be successful, but if your coach is talented, ambitious and motivated (as he should be) he will always want to compete against the best. So, when another challenge, at a higher level, presents itself he is going to accept that challenge especially if it comes with more money. We also live in a society to prioritizes material wealth and boastful success, as well as minimizes the value of loyalty. We shouldn't be surprised when coaches jump ship to a better offer.

Cocky
November 29th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Dont feel bad, we lost a coach to UAB. UAB is probably the worse FBS job in the country. Not probably, is the worse FBS job.

TennBison
November 29th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Houston seems like a good fit for that program, question is, is the program a good fit for him. He has been recruiting in that general area for years, so he has connections. He seems to be a good motivator of other coaches talent, he has not been at one place long enough to have the majority of the starters be his guys. It will take him a while to build up that team, watch for a first year improvement in their record but no real jump in talent. The 4th and 5th year will be the real measurement of his success.

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Just another wakeup call to some delusional posters as to where FCS football stands in the college football world.

mainejeff
November 29th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Thank god that the NCAA didn't waste a Top 8 seed on JMU.

xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2018, 08:30 AM
I guess it's good to be in demand right now because he might be burning bridges at multiple schools as we speak. With early signing day less than 3 weeks away now I'm sure the ADs at both JMU and Charlotte are anxious to get a definitive answer from him not to mention his current team and coaching staff.

On a related side note, I really wish they would make the early signing day actually "early". Make it in early August before the high school football season starts. Many schools have a dozen or two verbals by then anyway. This early signing day in December is really hanging schools out to dry who have to deal with coaching churn.

There's a lot more to a football program than a coach. In most cases it's the program that makes the coach not the other way around. Despite being FCS JMU has been a more successful college football program in recent years, both competitively and financially, than Charlotte and I really doubt that changes even if Houston does end up at UNCC.

Not-so-bold prediction: JMU will be fine and continue to be an FCS elite program and UNCC will continue to be a middling G5 program at best regardless where Houston ends up.

Just another wakeup call to some delusional posters as to where FCS football stands in the college football world.
To me it's no so much an indication of where FCS football stands in the college football world it's that money talks in the college football world. Like I said earlier, JMU is and will continue to be a more relevant and successful college football program than Charlotte is. Charlotte's football program, like many low-tier G5 programs, is just a massive Ponzi scheme. Two thirds of their athletic budget is subsidies (link (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/)) and football is the #1 money sieve in that equation.

Bison56
November 29th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Thank god that the NCAA didn't waste a Top 8 seed on JMU.

xcoffeex

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.jJVVg_k0LvZNx5X9sXD_hgHaEK&pid=Api

JacksFan40
November 29th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Dont feel bad, we lost a coach to UAB. UAB is probably the worse FBS job in the country. Not probably, is the worse FBS job.
That explains why they’re competing for a C-USA title on Saturday. The worst job is probably Wyoming, next to impossible to entice players to come to Laramie.

Bisonator
November 29th, 2018, 08:34 AM
I guess it's good to be in demand right now because he might be burning bridges at multiple schools as we speak. With early signing day less than 3 weeks away now I'm sure the ADs at both JMU and Charlotte are anxious to get a definitive answer from him not to mention his current team and coaching staff.

On a related side note, I really wish they would make the early signing day actually "early". Make it in early August before the high school football season starts. Many schools have a dozen or two verbals by then anyway. This early signing day in December is really hanging schools out to dry who have to deal with coaching churn.

There's a lot more to a football program than a coach. In most cases it's the program that makes the coach not the other way around.
Agreed. This early signing day is at the worst possible time for teams still playing and coaching changes.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2018, 08:37 AM

This makes total sense - in my opinion. Mike Houston is probably pretty disappointed that this leaked out about Charlotte. Screws his positioning for App State if they do lose their coach.

clenz
November 29th, 2018, 08:45 AM
If argue for FIU, SJSU, NMSU, UCONN, USA, and UMASS all being far worse spots to try to win than Wyoming or UNCC.

I'd be tempted to throw UTEP and Rice into that discussion as well.

Hell I can make a case for Rutgers, but they are at least a B10INO

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2018, 08:48 AM
One thing I've noticed: NDSU fans had a reality check with regards to our position after Bohl left us. We've changed our attitude to coaches - we want someone who has higher aspirations, not a coach that will be here for life. The only way we could keep a coach for life would becoming an Alabama of the world or someone similar.

JMU fans maybe will not figure out their actual place in the football world. Go look at their boards and they had SiouxVolley level of ideas about JMU going to the AAC or even the ACC. You aren't even the best program in the FCS, much less better than all those G5 schools. Yes your teams may be better, your attendance may be better, but for all intents and purposes, because you are FCS, you are nothing - just like NDSU, SDSU and the rest of the top of the FCS.

jmu007
November 29th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Maybe I’ve missed something, but I don’t recall many NDSU Head coaches leaving for bigger and better things recently? JMU will have had 4 coaches during the tenure of your current coach.

Other than that, I agree with you.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 08:55 AM

Could be worse...could have lost a coach to a team in your conference...in a smaller town...in a more remote location...for only a tiny increase in pay :(

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2018, 08:57 AM
One thing I've noticed: NDSU fans had a reality check with regards to our position after Bohl left us. We've changed our attitude to coaches - we want someone who has higher aspirations, not a coach that will be here for life. The only way we could keep a coach for life would becoming an Alabama of the world or someone similar.

JMU fans maybe will not figure out their actual place in the football world. Go look at their boards and they had SiouxVolley level of ideas about JMU going to the AAC or even the ACC. You aren't even the best program in the FCS, much less better than all those G5 schools. Yes your teams may be better, your attendance may be better, but for all intents and purposes, because you are FCS, you are nothing - just like NDSU, SDSU and the rest of the top of the FCS.
Depends on what you considering "being something". If that means retaining good coaches then 90% of college football programs are nothing. JMU has a better football team than Charlotte and their football program brings in more revenue than Charlotte. The fact that a school like Charlotte can entice Houston away from JMU is only an indication that they pay more money. If Houston was worried about the "glass ceiling" for FCS coaches he'd have (and has had) much better opportunities than Charlotte for his next stepping stone.

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2018, 09:00 AM

.....UMMMM........YER NOT...ALREADY...........DUH ALABAMA....UH FCS.....xconfusedx.......AWK!

GreenGlasses
November 29th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Wyoming is a solid gig. If you can sell recruits on Fargo, Bozeman, Missoula, Brookings etc you can sell Laramie. Plus, it's really not THAT far away from the populated area of the Colorado Front Range. Wyoming football has some legit history of success. Having all the state's resources being funneled into 1 place obviously helps.

Charlotte was better this year but they were also veteran team. I just wouldn't want to work for that that athletic department at this time. It's the same reason why I wouldn't touch the ECU gig.

I see some people don't follow anything but maybe recruiting. Charlotte has a new AD as of Feb 2018, Mike Hill the former Associate AD at Florida. He has already put his stamp on the athletic program there. He 1st hired Ron Sanchez (Asst. HC at VA) as the basketball head coach and now Mike Houston (JMU HC). They style of play of both coaches aren't to my liking but you can't give either hire below an A.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Maybe I’ve missed something, but I don’t recall many NDSU Head coaches leaving for bigger and better things recently? JMU will have had 4 coaches during the tenure of your current coach.

Other than that, I agree with you.My point is Bohl blew smoke up our asses....then bolted.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 09:15 AM
.....UMMMM........YER NOT...ALREADY...........DUH ALABAMA....UH FCS.....xconfusedx.......AWK!

I think they mean become the next Alabama...not the Alabama of FCS (which they are)...just...'Bama. Like, go FBS, compete regularly for the national championship, add a decimal place to their football budget, etc. That's about the only way a team can be nearly 100% sure they can keep a coach as long as they want to...$$$.

MR. CHICKEN
November 29th, 2018, 09:16 AM
I see some people don't follow anything but maybe recruiting. Charlotte has a new AD as of Feb 2018, Mike Hill the former Associate AD at Florida. He has already put his stamp on the athletic program there. He 1st hired Ron Sanchez (Asst. HC at VA) as the basketball head coach and now Mike Houston (JMU HC). They style of play of both coaches aren't to my liking but you can't give either hire below an A.

.......NOT PER DIS LINK.........BRAWK!
https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/report-jmu-s-mike-houston-to-take-charlotte-job-houston/article_4f754743-a330-5451-8ec6-973fd30c31b8.html

gregatim
November 29th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Yes, but that's like being what Paul Harvey referred to as the common man. The lousiest of the best and the best of the lousiest.

mainejeff
November 29th, 2018, 09:37 AM
If argue for FIU, SJSU, NMSU, UCONN, USA, and UMASS all being far worse spots to try to win than Wyoming or UNCC.

I think of Wyoming as the FBS version of Maine. Far flung from major metro areas and peers.....but in a stable and somewhat attractive football conference.

mainejeff
November 29th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Amen to that!

clenz
November 29th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I think of Wyoming as the FBS version of Maine. Far flung from major metro areas and peers.....but in a stable and somewhat attractive football conference.Exactly this

Wyoming being a MWC team that isn't in financial or administrative turmoil at all times - or burried behind 40 other major schools

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Exactly this

Wyoming being a MWC team that isn't in financial or administrative turmoil at all times - or burried behind 40 other major schools

But muh narrative! Wyoming caan't compete with JMU!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I think of Wyoming as the FBS version of Maine. Far flung from major metro areas and peers.....but in a stable and somewhat attractive football conference.

Wyoming is a solid gig! The program has some relatively good history of success! Laramie is not tucked away in the state. It's fairly close to Cheyenne and the Front Range Metro area. As a result, Wyoming has a history of getting some good home and homes. Any flagship school in a fiscally responsible state is at least a decent job.

Worst jobs imo
UMass, Eastern Michigan, UTEP, Rice, Charlotte, UTSA, Rutgers (the school and state are a mess), UConn, New Mexico State, Liberty, San Jose State, ULNV and Texas State

Daytripper
November 29th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Wyoming is a solid gig! The program has some relatively good history of success! Laramie is not tucked away in the state. It's fairly close to Cheyenne and the Front Range Metro area. As a result, Wyoming has a history of getting some good home and homes. Any flagship school in a fiscally responsible state is at least a decent job.

Worst jobs imo
UMass, Eastern Michigan, UTEP, Rice, Charlotte, UTSA, Rutgers (the school and state are a mess), UConn, New Mexico State, Liberty, San Jose State, ULNV and Texas State

Texas State is a place that, with visionary and progressive leadership, could be an attractive job at some point. San Marcos is a beautiful place to live. It is basically tucked between Austin and San Antonio, but doesn't have the "big city" problems (yet). And it has a large student body. All it lacks is a President and AD that has a modicum of vision... And I believe Spavital will be a disaster..

TheKingpin28
November 29th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Could be worse...could have lost a coach to a team in your conference...in a smaller town...in a more remote location...for only a tiny increase in pay :(It's easier to recruit when you have FCOA.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
November 29th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Could be worse...could have lost a coach to a team in your conference...in a smaller town...in a more remote location...for only a tiny increase in pay :(

I heard USD has a killer group dental plan and that was clincher.

xrolleyesx

Daytripper
November 29th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Montgomery out at ECU... The plot thickens.
https://www.witn.com/content/news/SOURCES--Montgomery-out-as-ECU-football-coach-gone-after-Saturday-501556641.html

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I heard USD has a killer group dental plan and that was clincher.

xrolleyesx

It was the wealth of cultural activities that you find in Vermillion, SD, I'm sure.

deez_na
November 29th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I heard Houston might be heading to East Carolina instead?

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Montgomery out at ECU... The plot thickens.
https://www.witn.com/content/news/SOURCES--Montgomery-out-as-ECU-football-coach-gone-after-Saturday-501556641.html
Well if he does end up going there the good news for JMU is they get an extra quarter million bucks for a buyout since ECU is in the AAC.

IBleedYellow
November 29th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Looks like Mike Houston played both JMU and Charlotte to make ECU move faster?

furpal87
November 29th, 2018, 12:46 PM
After reading this whole thread, let me say a few things. ECU still doesn't have an AD (even though it sounds like they're close), they have fallen far behind in their league except UConn (how he hasn't been fired I don't know). They go through coaches in all programs except baseball like water. Charlotte hired a new AD in March replacing the incompetent one who had been there (especially with the hire of the football coach). His first hire was MBB and hired one of UVA's assistant and they are 4-2 with a win over OKl ST. Charlotte does have potential if they win. I think Charlotte had to move because they knew ECU was going to do that. I had Houston pegged for ECU in October. And at Charlotte he can put himself in position for UNC.

Lorne_Malvo
November 29th, 2018, 01:51 PM
It was the wealth of cultural activities that you find in Vermillion, SD, I'm sure.

True, they have both hunting and fishing.

No matter where MH goes, the way he is doing it as shady a/f.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I'm 100% on the Blackwell for ECU HC train.

Derby City Duke
November 29th, 2018, 02:04 PM

How so?

smallcollegefbfan
November 29th, 2018, 02:25 PM
I heard Houston might be heading to East Carolina instead?

That's another job he would prefer over Charlotte. That's why it is one I mentioned in a previous post. He would leave for Charlotte because it is FBS but he prefers the other two jobs over that. I'm sure he did not want it leaking about Charlotte.

Professor
November 29th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Schools rumored to want Houston

Charlotte
App State
ECU

bisonboone11
November 29th, 2018, 03:51 PM

It was leaked the night of the 2nd round game against Furman (afternoon game and the leak was that evening).

mcveyrl
November 29th, 2018, 04:09 PM

How do you figure? Did you see his press conference yesterday? He's apparently been pretty up front with the players and the admin.

The perceived "shadiness" is a result of the early signing period. Schools are scrambling to fill these positions on a super tight deadline. I'll admit I was pretty pissed at first, but I can't really blame him or any of these schools for moving this fast. If the numbers are true, he's about to make about 8 times more than he was making just a few years ago. If he tells schools to wait until the playoffs are over, he risks losing all that.

Cocky
November 29th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Schools rumored to want Houston

Charlotte
App State
ECU
Then he is going to ECU. Its the school in the better conference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Then he is going to ECU. Its the school in the better conference.

If things are settling down in Greenville. With that said, App State is a great gig imo. A case could be made for both imo.

Nor Eastern
November 29th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Houston would walk into Boone with a team that could win the conference title again, get paid pretty much the same as ECU and be hours closer to his aging parents.

While there's no arguing that the AAC is a better league than the SBC, Houston's MO is he goes to schools with talent and rides them high. App has a better starting point at the end of the year for that.

SUPharmacist
November 29th, 2018, 04:32 PM
That's another job he would prefer over Charlotte. That's why it is one I mentioned in a previous post. He would leave for Charlotte because it is FBS but he prefers the other two jobs over that. I'm sure he did not want it leaking about Charlotte.

I don't know, I think he might be happy it is public to allow him to be able to play schools against each other.

SUPharmacist
November 29th, 2018, 04:39 PM
How do you figure? Did you see his press conference yesterday? He's apparently been pretty up front with the players and the admin.

The perceived "shadiness" is a result of the early signing period. Schools are scrambling to fill these positions on a super tight deadline. I'll admit I was pretty pissed at first, but I can't really blame him or any of these schools for moving this fast. If the numbers are true, he's about to make about 8 times more than he was making just a few years ago. If he tells schools to wait until the playoffs are over, he risks losing all that.

I don't think it is shady, this is how it goes down a lot. Although it certainly isn't classy, but I think that is more the fault of the schools than the coaches (although there is more than enough blame to go around with all the slime in college sports). Mainly it is just ****ty to players and fans. Not that they would want to, but could the NCAA block schools from extending job offers to coaches until the conclusion of the current season, or would that run afoul of labor laws?

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2018, 05:45 PM

Other than that, I agree with you.
I agree, but make that 3 coaching changes if you include the the fact that Withers & Kleiman's 1st seasons were 2014 and if you include the current unknown.. Since Klieman became HC at NDSU the 3 changes have been:
-Matthews to Withers
-Wither's to Houston
-Houston to ???

dgtw
November 29th, 2018, 05:46 PM
A different era, but Lou Holtz went from William & Mary to NC State.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2018, 05:57 PM
After reading this whole thread, let me say a few things. ECU still doesn't have an AD (even though it sounds like they're close), they have fallen far behind in their league except UConn (how he hasn't been fired I don't know). They go through coaches in all programs except baseball like water. Charlotte hired a new AD in March replacing the incompetent one who had been there (especially with the hire of the football coach). His first hire was MBB and hired one of UVA's assistant and they are 4-2 with a win over OKl ST. Charlotte does have potential if they win. I think Charlotte had to move because they knew ECU was going to do that. I had Houston pegged for ECU in October. And at Charlotte he can put himself in position for UNC.
Not unless he pulls a Scott Frost. Would be a lot tougher route to the UNC HC in 4-5 years through UNCC than ECU..

smallcollegefbfan
November 29th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Houston would walk into Boone with a team that could win the conference title again, get paid pretty much the same as ECU and be hours closer to his aging parents.

While there's no arguing that the AAC is a better league than the SBC, Houston's MO is he goes to schools with talent and rides them high. App has a better starting point at the end of the year for that.

AAC is a better league but only because of about 3 schools. If UCF, Memphis, and Houston were to leave then the league would be equal to the SBC.

Food for thought here. This won't be well liked by App fans but I believe this is what Mike Houston is thinking. He feels he can go 12-0 at App next year (potentially putting App in a NY6 Bowl) if he runs a similar system and that would be something Scott has not been able to do. I think he would go 10-2 next year. At ECU, the best I see Mike Houston doing is say 7-5 or 8-4. App returns like 9 All-SBC (1st and 2nd team) picks while ECU returns just 1 or 2 (1st or 2nd team) picks.

Breaking down the schedules Houston likely would lose to UCF, Cincinnati, VT, NC State, and maybe USF while he would only have likely UNC, South Carolina, and Troy as possible losses next year. He should be able to beat Troy since they return more talent than Troy and I think he would beat UNC for sure. South Carolina would be the tough one depending on how many juniors go pro and they may lose 3-6, which would deplete them enough to make that possible. App has way more talent in the cupboard and has an administration that I believe is far more capable.

My reasoning for saying that Mike Houston probably knows he could do better than even Satterfield would is because he beat the Gamecocks in Columbia with Citadel players while Satterfield could not beat a down Tennessee team who had an awful QB, Wake Forest at home, and blew the overtime game with Penn State all because of either not having a good kicker or clock management with FBS talent, unlike Mike Houston had. JMU is going to be very good next year but could you imagine him going to FBS and making a team 12-0 in year one? Most of their All-SBC picks were sophomores so he could potentially have 2 big years and parlay that into a 3-4M offer from a very good P5 situation and be the most coveted G5 coach outside of Scott Frost in the last decade. If he goes to Charlotte or ECU it would take him 3 years minimum to likely do something like he could do in 2019 at App.

It will be interesting to see. Coaches not only should weigh the money but the returning talent, location, administration, etc. If I were his agent I would suggest App over the other two even if the others offered 100k-200k more a year. He could be just hoping for a P5 offer in 3-4 years while he could very well have one this time next year if he goes to App.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2018, 06:25 PM
AAC is a better league but only because of about 3 schools. If UCF, Memphis, and Houston were to leave then the league would be equal to the SBC.

Food for thought here. This won't be well liked by App fans but I believe Mike Houston goes 12-0 at App next year (potentially putting App in a NY6 Bowl) if he runs a similar system and I don't think Satterfield would do that. I think he would go 10-2 next year. At ECU, the best I see Mike Houston doing is say 7-5 or 8-4. App returns like 9 All-SBC (1st and 2nd team) picks while ECU returns just 1 or 2 (1st or 2nd team) picks.

Breaking down the schedules Houston likely would lose to UCF, Cincinnati, VT, NC State, and maybe USF while he would only have likely UNC, South Carolina, and Troy as possible losses next year. He should be able to beat Troy since they return more talent than Troy and I think he would beat UNC for sure. South Carolina would be the tough one depending on how many juniors go pro and they may lose 3-6, which would deplete them enough to make that possible. App has way more talent in the cupboard and has an administration that I believe is far more capable.

My reasoning for saying that Mike Houston probably knows he could do better than even Satterfield would is because he beat the Gamecocks in Columbia with Citadel players while Satterfield could not beat a down Tennessee team who had an awful QB, Wake Forest at home, and blew the overtime game with Penn State all because of either not having a good kicker or clock management with FBS talent, unlike Mike Houston had. JMU is going to be very good next year but could you imagine him going to FBS and making a team 12-0 in year one? Most of their All-SBC picks were sophomores so he could potentially have 2 big years and parlay that into a 3-4M offer from a very good P5 situation and be the most coveted G5 coach outside of Scott Frost in the last decade. If he goes to Charlotte or ECU it would take him 3 years minimum to likely do something like he could do in 2019 at App.

It will be interesting to see. Coaches not only should weigh the money but the returning talent, location, administration, etc. If I were his agent I would suggest App over the other two even if the others offered 100k-200k more a year. He could be just hoping for a P5 offer in 3-4 years while he could very well have one this time next year if he goes to App.

In football? Cincinnati has been to two major bowls lately. Navy has been a consistent winner since Johnson took over. USF has good history dating back to the Big East days. Then there's Temple who has become a consistent winner. The schools themselves, budgets, facilities etc are would still be well ahead of everyone but the MWC. I'm not even going to mention the basketball side of things with UConn, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple etc relative to the SBC.

I'm not trying to go super homer here but c'mon. Cincinnati, Navy, USF, Temple, UConn, Wichita State are still the core of a good football/bball conference. Cincinnati's endowment (1.1 billion) is about the same as the entire SBC combined.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2018, 06:27 PM

Food for thought here. This won't be well liked by App fans but I believe Mike Houston goes 12-0 at App next year (potentially putting App in a NY6 Bowl) if he runs a similar system and I don't think Satterfield would do that. I think he would go 10-2 next year. At ECU, the best I see Mike Houston doing is say 7-5 or 8-4. App returns like 9 All-SBC (1st and 2nd team) picks while ECU returns just 1 or 2 (1st or 2nd team) picks.

That has been one of Houston's achilles heels. Has happened on a number of occasions. Usually it didn't matter as far as the game outcome, but it bit JMU in the arse in 2 losses (Frisco vs NDSU end of the 1st half, and this season vs Elon late in the game).

smallcollegefbfan
November 29th, 2018, 08:48 PM
In football? Cincinnati has been to two major bowls lately. Navy has been a consistent winner since Johnson took over. USF has good history dating back to the Big East days. Then there's Temple who has become a consistent winner. The schools themselves, budgets, facilities etc are would still be well ahead of everyone but the MWC. I'm not even going to mention the basketball side of things with UConn, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Temple etc relative to the SBC.

I'm not trying to go super homer here but c'mon. Cincinnati, Navy, USF, Temple, UConn, Wichita State are still the core of a good football/bball conference. Cincinnati's endowment (1.1 billion) is about the same as the entire SBC combined.

I'm just talking about football and I you could substitute Memphis for Cincy. My point was if 3 top teams bolt to P5 leagues that the SBC and AAC would then be pretty equal. Say it is Cincy you then have solid programs in Navy, Memphis, Temple, and USF for football but the SBC would be equal with perrrennial bowl teams App, Ga Southern, Arkansas St, Troy, and Louisiana. I'm sure the AAC would then pluck 2 of those from the SBC. The AAC is definitely better now and would be if they plucked any teams but I'm saying because the SBC is weaker now that it is easier to win impressively in the SBC.

Football coaches can't care about what a school is in basketball. Actually, you better hope you get offers from schools who are football schools and don't put basketball above you. Mike Houston should in no way care about other sports in making a decision. He has to look at the football program only and right now App has a far better program than ECU and Charlotte. Now, if he got an offer from Cincy, UCF, Memphis, etc and they return as much talent then I would go there but the debate for him is ECU, Charlotte, and App and to me right now it is not a close one.

smallcollegefbfan
November 29th, 2018, 08:53 PM
That has been one of Houston's achilles heels. Has happened on a number of occasions. Usually it didn't matter as far as the game outcome, but it bit JMU in the arse in 2 losses (Frisco vs NDSU end of the 1st half, and this season vs Elon late in the game).

I about forgot that. App has had that happen under Scott in two of their P5 matchups that I saw on TV. Clock management is one thing you can't blame a player on and that is something that coaches have to do a good job of so they put the players in the best spot possible.

WestCoastAggie
November 29th, 2018, 09:06 PM
So is Coach Houston going to ECU or Charlotte?

Go...gate
November 29th, 2018, 10:15 PM

Wholeheartedly agree.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2018, 11:20 PM
Or App State.
Eenie Meenie Miney Moe, which North Carolina school will it be?
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article222368935.html

Cocky
November 30th, 2018, 07:22 AM

I'm not trying to go super homer here but c'mon. Cincinnati, Navy, USF, Temple, UConn, Wichita State are still the core of a good football/bball conference.
Cincinnati's endowment (1.1 billion) is about the same as the entire SBC combined.

Agree, the SBC would be nowhere near the AAC even with the losses. Totally different amounts of money being spent at those places. Troys entire school budget would probably not equal the lowest athletic budget in the AAC.

Nor Eastern
November 30th, 2018, 07:29 AM
The Sun Belt has, over the past several seasosn, shown to be equal or better than the MAC and CUSA, but let us not get crazy and compare the SBC to the AAC. If the teams in the SBC had the CUSA branding that conference would have ranked teams every year. But that branding holds them back, even when their on-field-play is superior to their rival conferences.

JacksFan40
November 30th, 2018, 07:36 AM

FIU is doing really good with former Miami coach Butch Davis right now. He’s got them now in back to back bowl games for the first time in school history.

Nor Eastern
November 30th, 2018, 07:49 AM
FIU is doing really good with former Miami coach Butch Davis right now. He’s got them now in back to back bowl games for the first time in school history.

I do really like FIU's coaching decision better than FAU's. Instead of going for flash in the pan hire Kiffen and scandal-ridden Briles, they went for a good coach that wasn't "exciting" but knows Florida. FAU missed a bowl game this year and got beat by UNCC.

Nor Eastern
November 30th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Butch Davis is also a potential target of ECU if they miss out on Houston.

walliver
November 30th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Houston would be great for ECU or Charlotte. But, would App want to go for s guy who will stay for at most 3 years, or would they stick to someone from within the App family?

Daytripper
November 30th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Houston would be great for ECU or Charlotte. But, would App want to go for s guy who will stay for at most 3 years, or would they stick to someone from within the App family?

It usually doesn't end well when a program bypasses quality candidates for the sake of staying "in the family."

Nor Eastern
November 30th, 2018, 10:49 AM

I gather that Houston would be welcomed until Brown, Woody or Sloan get a little more experience to handle a HC job.

AmsterBison
November 30th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Should change the title of this thread to "Mike Houston is going," and then add "going," to end of the title every day until he actually leaves and then, and only then, add the "gone!"

kdinva
November 30th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Should change the title of this thread to "Mike Houston is going," and then add "going," to end of the title every day until he actually leaves and then, and only then, add the "gone!"

xthumbsupx xrotatehx

Nor Eastern
November 30th, 2018, 11:24 AM
https://twitter.com/davidscott14/status/1068554843277717512

NEWS: @Charlotte49ers (https://twitter.com/Charlotte49ers) withdraw contract offer to Mike Houston after he told them Thursday night he had interest in exploring other options while remaining under consideration at Charlotte. Story soon.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2018, 11:24 AM

Holy Mackerel.

Nor Eastern
November 30th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Wonder if he's now playing off ECU and App State.

History vs. Easy Street

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2018, 11:26 AM
So he's exploring other options openly?!? Did he really get on the bus today?!

Daytripper
November 30th, 2018, 11:28 AM
So he's exploring other options openly?!? Did he really get on the bus today?!

I blame Charlotte more than Houston for this mess. They let the deal leak before Houston could manage it properly.

clenz
November 30th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I blame Charlotte more than Houston for this mess. They let the deal leak before Houston could manage it properly.The longer this goes the more it's obvious Houston and his camp did it

It's why he was so open about the offer and not accepting it

He was sending a message to ecu

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2018, 11:54 AM
I blame Charlotte more than Houston for this mess. They let the deal leak before Houston could manage it properly.

My money is on Mike Houston's agent leaking it. He's the one who probably has the most to gain and it looks like it worked if he goes to ECU.

SUPharmacist
November 30th, 2018, 11:58 AM

If the other schools don't work out for him, and he has to crawl back to JMU can they punish him for this or is he protected by his current contract?

IBleedYellow
November 30th, 2018, 12:05 PM
If the other schools don't work out for him, and he has to crawl back to JMU can they punish him for this or is he protected by his current contract?

What would they do to him? You can't fault a guy for wanting to improve himself and his position.

HOWEVER, he made it much harder for him to recruit if he's still @ JMU.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2018, 12:15 PM

My money is on Mike Houston's agent leaking it. He's the one who probably has the most to gain and it looks like it worked if he goes to ECU.
Yeah, I'm not so sure it wasn't someone in Houston's camp that leaked it. He's going to come out the big winner in this. Charlotte now is just the first loser while JMU is the second loser. Every day this drags out makes it worse for JMU considering the early signing day is only 19 days away now.... their current verbals have to be in "WTF?!?" mode by now.

EDIT: It's also possible that by publicly retracting the offer Charlotte is trying to be spiteful towards Houston's camp by taking away leverage that this offer provided them that they may be using in their negotiations with ECU and whoever else.

SUPharmacist
November 30th, 2018, 12:18 PM
What would they do to him? You can't fault a guy for wanting to improve himself and his position.

HOWEVER, he made it much harder for him to recruit if he's still @ JMU.

No idea what they could do to him. I don't fault him for trying to advance in his career. Although, if him or his agent are the source of the leak he is an asshole, and if not he certainly is airing everything out in a way I would hate as his employer. If I sought out a new job in this fashion my employer would likely fire me. I assume with his contract they can't do anything other than fire him which would cost them a lot of money. It just seems to me if this happened with Bohl or with Klieman now I wouldn't want them back. It makes the school look bad, and makes future recruits hesitate (although obviously coaches can leave whenever).

TheKingpin28
November 30th, 2018, 12:33 PM
https://twitter.com/davidscott14/status/1068554843277717512Oh yes!

Lorne_Malvo
November 30th, 2018, 12:50 PM
I thought Bohls move was ****ty, but Houston is taking it to a new level.
Houstons side leaked it as they had the most to gain. Playing 2 potential employers against each other rarely turns out well once all parties are exposed.

centennial
November 30th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I thought Bohls move was ****ty, but Houston is taking it to a new level.
Houstons side leaked it as they had the most to gain. Playing 2 potential employers against each other rarely turns out well once all parties are exposed.

He is severely over valuing his worth. It's not like he is the new Chip Kelly. If ECU doesn't come he could be left stranded without a school. Next year if he doesn't do well at JMU, the window will close.

SoDakSA
November 30th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Maybe JMU leaked it so that they could get the larger buyout? If they can't win the NC this year the extra cash would be a nice consolation prize.

centennial
November 30th, 2018, 01:14 PM
ECU is reportedly in the process of making an offer to Mike.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2018, 01:30 PM
It sure seems like Houston is planning to travel to Colgate and coach the team this Saturday based on this latest tweet by JMU beat writer Greg Madia:

https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1068583276422541312

TheKingpin28
November 30th, 2018, 01:57 PM
It sure seems like Houston is planning to travel to Colgate and coach the team this Saturday based on this latest tweet by JMU beat writer Greg Madia:

https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1068583276422541312The story just keeps getting better.

UNHWildcat18
November 30th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Glad he isn't leaving the CAA for UNCC.... garbage program

SoDakSA
November 30th, 2018, 02:26 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29630&stc=1

walliver
November 30th, 2018, 02:59 PM
The whole coaching thing is a mess. And early signing has made it worse.

It is obvious Houston is leaving JMU ... he is actively burning bridges. I wonder about his timing. Was his plan to play 2 playoff games and then leave mid-playoffs before the competition improves? JMU is now faced with the task of 1) finding an interim for the rest of the playoffs if they win this weekend and 2) finding a new coach. UNCC now has to deal with 1) an embarrassment, 2) finding a new coach with the deadline looming and many of their prospects quit aware they they are the backup choicer do they do nothing and hope Houston makes up his mind this weekend. If they go after another FCS coach, then that school will face the same dilemma. What's worse, as these moves work their way through the system, several coaches will leave after signing day when players have already signed binding commitments.

I was never a fan of early signing day, but now I really dislike it.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2018, 03:10 PM
The whole coaching thing is a mess. And early signing has made it worse.

It is obvious Houston is leaving JMU ... he is actively burning bridges. I wonder about his timing. Was his plan to play 2 playoff games and then leave mid-playoffs before the competition improves? JMU is now faced with the task of 1) finding an interim for the rest of the playoffs if they win this weekend and 2) finding a new coach. UNCC now has to deal with 1) an embarrassment, 2) finding a new coach with the deadline looming and many of their prospects quit aware they they are the backup choicer do they do nothing and hope Houston makes up his mind this weekend. If they go after another FCS coach, then that school will face the same dilemma. What's worse, as these moves work their way through the system, several coaches will leave after signing day when players have already signed binding commitments.

I was never a fan of early signing day, but now I really dislike it.
I wish they would make the early signing period actually early. Make it in August before high school football season starts. Having it 6 weeks in front of the regular signing day seems kind of silly and makes this coaching pandemonium in December that much worse.

College basketball has an early signing period that's 5 months in front of the "regular signing period" so there's no reason why football couldn't do the same.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 30th, 2018, 03:26 PM
It's definitely a mess!!!!

First, I would think that the players would be FIRED up to win regardless of all the coaching turmoil this week. Second, if JMU does get by Colgate....is it more fuel for the fire headed to the Fargo Dome. I guess the question is, would NDST rather see JMU or Colgate at this point ? I guess only time will tell........

GO DUKES

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2018, 03:33 PM
It's definitely a mess!!!!

First, I would think that the players would be FIRED up to win regardless of all the coaching turmoil this week. Second, if JMU does get by Colgate....is it more fuel for the fire headed to the Fargo Dome. I guess the question is, would NDST rather see JMU or Colgate at this point ? I guess only time will tell........

GO DUKES
As a fan I hope it's JMU because we need something to light a fire under our complacent fan base and I can't think of anything more suited to do that than the Mike Houston circus coming to town. As far as the players/coaches go I doubt they care who they play, they just want to be playing next week.

cx500d
November 30th, 2018, 03:41 PM
As a fan I hope it's JMU because we need something to light a fire under our complacent fan base and I can't think of anything more suited to do that than the Mike Houston circus coming to town. As far as the players/coaches go I doubt they care who they play, they just want to be playing next week.

Good points, but personally I'd like to see Colgate for a change to see what they are all about.

Professor
November 30th, 2018, 03:55 PM
He is severely over valuing his worth. It's not like he is the new Chip Kelly. If ECU doesn't come he could be left stranded without a school. Next year if he doesn't do well at JMU, the window will close.

Its plenty of schools on the East Coast that will love to have him. He is playing this pretty good if you ask me

MacThor
November 30th, 2018, 05:24 PM

Does NC A&T want to enter the fray?

NDB
November 30th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Good for Charlotte.

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Good points, but personally I'd like to see Colgate for a change to see what they are all about.I want Colgate as well. Give us something new.

NDB
November 30th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Houston is a damn fool.

You never negotiate in public.

You always have your fallback in mind. He had an offer from Charlotte, not a contract. His fallback is jmu. How does he ever coach or recruit or fundraise there now?

If I'm App State or ECU or any team in the future do you even offer the guy or he going to try to play you off someone else.

Total idiot.

katss07
November 30th, 2018, 06:29 PM
lol **** Houston what an ass. Why would he let the public know everything? To scare App State or ECU into offers? Makes him look bad and could kill the Dukes. They’re game against Colgate has taken a back seat despite the comments from Houston.

What a jerk. Think about your players and others involved! So self centered. I hope Colgate exposes JMU for the fakers they are this season.

Sycamore62
November 30th, 2018, 06:33 PM
I doubt this hurts him at all. I enjoy the drama because our playoff run was ended by an upset at the hands of the committee. I love this time of year and sometimes I feel bad that its the worst part of someone's life, however, the fact that at some point in the past, it was the best point in their life makes me feel better.

IMO, the college football landscape is filled with head coaches who land all over a scale from "pieces of ****" to "great humans". wherever he is on the scale i dont think this changes his location to the good or bad side.

caribbeanhen
November 30th, 2018, 06:54 PM

Alabama would do the trick.... can't blame them for being complacent, the Ancient Romans eventually to tired of the weekly slaughters at the Colosseum

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2018, 06:54 PM
I doubt this hurts him at all. I enjoy the drama because our playoff run was ended by an upset at the hands of the committee. I love this time of year and sometimes I feel bad that its the worst part of someone's life, however, the fact that at some point in the past, it was the best point in their life makes me feel better.

IMO, the college football landscape is filled with head coaches who land all over a scale from "pieces of ****" to "great humans". wherever he is on the scale i dont think this changes his location to the good or bad side.I don't either. One of the things that is important to remember is it doesn't matter what we think. If I was playing for Houston and he had let us know beforehand and was up front and transparent I would respect that more than him doing deals behind our back. Who knows how transparent he's been with the team and JMU.

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2018, 01:18 AM
What confirmation do we have other than a couple of guys posting this on twitter?

Bruce Feldman is a national writer who has good sources, he's the guy that broke the Craig Bohl-to-Wyoming story. Probably a good bet he's right on Mike Houston going to Charlotte.

Nope. Turns out was fake news.

centennial
December 1st, 2018, 01:56 AM
Its plenty of schools on the East Coast that will love to have him. He is playing this pretty good if you ask me

Disagree. He has 3-4 schools to pick from at best. Public negotiations against each other are a sure way of burning bridges permanently. He is behaving like a complete dip****.

Go...gate
December 1st, 2018, 02:01 AM
So Houston is back to square one? Oh, my goodness....

centennial
December 1st, 2018, 02:05 AM
So Houston is back to square one? Oh, my goodness....
He is probably leaving to whoever can give him the best deal. ECU, App State are probably what he'll end up at.