UD @ JMU: 7294
USD @ Nicholls: 8571
SBU @ SEMO: 5679
Duquesne @ Towson: 2158
Elon @ Wofford: 2157
Lamar @ UNI: 4082
Incarnate Word @ MSU: 10017
ETSU @ Jax State: 11024

I've seen far worse honestly. The Wofford one is the only real surprise imo. There were travel advisories in the Harrisonburg area while it monsooned in Towson.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 12:28 AM
I've seen far worse honestly.

Yeah, not a bad showing for the first round. I think with Nicholls, JMU, MSU, and JSU going on the road we may actually see lower numbers (outside of NDSU) in round 2.

CockyGeek
November 25th, 2018, 12:32 AM
What's up with the Wofford attendance?? Is that really low for the season?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 25th, 2018, 12:33 AM
Yeah, not a bad showing for the first round. I think with Nicholls, JMU, MSU, and JSU going on the road we may actually see lower numbers (outside of NDSU) in round 2.

I can't see Colgate or Maine breaking 5k. I think the others will all be pretty good so long as the weather cooperates.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 12:34 AM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they only draw 5 or 6k during the regular season to begin with.

GAD
November 25th, 2018, 12:38 AM
67,871 in NOLA to watch Southern defeat Grambling 38-28
Best attended FCS vs FCS game this season

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 12:38 AM
I can't see Colgate or Maine breaking 5k. I think the others will all be pretty good so long as the weather cooperates.

KSU won't show up, SDSU will get snowed on, I don't think any of the BSC teams pull more than 6k this weekend, NDSU will NDSU

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 12:39 AM

Jeez, do they play that in the Superdome?

JayJ79
November 25th, 2018, 01:03 AM

most programs seem to report playoff attendance differently than they do regular season attendance, usually resulting in lower numbers overall.
whether that means they inflate the regular season numbers, underreport the postseason numbers, or both, I don't know.
In some cases, this is done because the NCAA takes a percentage of the gate, but when attendance is that low, I don't know if it matters that much, as you still have to cover your bid amount.

- - - Updated - - -

#NotPlayoffAttendance

MTfan4life
November 25th, 2018, 01:06 AM
KSU won't show up, SDSU will get snowed on, I don't think any of the BSC teams pull more than 6k this weekend, NDSU will NDSU

UCD's lowest home attendance this season was 7300. They had over 10,000 when they played Idaho State. I have to imagine after the long wait to return to the playoffs that they'll have a good showing there, especially considering this might be their only home game. They even stayed over 6500 for all of last season.

Weber State had nearly 7000 when they hosted WIU over Thanksgiving weekend last season. I'd assume they'd want to bring the crowd back again this year and their numbers usually stay pretty consistent around 8000 from September to November.

EWU, it's hard to tell. It really depends on the weather as those poor fans don't like to venture outside when it gets below 40. ;) For example, in 2016 their best attended playoff game was their first game even though they played QF and SF home games.

Maine had 8000 the last time they hosted a playoff game. Granted, that was against New Hampshire in the second round, so that boosted the numbers.

Lorne_Malvo
November 25th, 2018, 01:23 AM
JMU had nowhere close to 7k. What a total load of BS.

Hood
November 25th, 2018, 02:58 AM
Little sad to see Nicholls barely crack 8500 since there was over 9,000 last week for the River Bell Classic. No disrespect to a great rivalry game but the PLAYOFFS should be an even bigger deal. I couldn't attend due to illness (curses) but a friend said he had to park further than he's ever had to park before. I figured this put us north of 10k. Wrong.

Jeez, do they play that in the Superdome? Yes Sir.

lionsrking2
November 25th, 2018, 03:04 AM
Little sad to see Nicholls barely crack 8500 since there was over 9,000 last week for the River Bell Classic. No disrespect to a great rivalry game but the PLAYOFFS should be an even bigger deal. I couldn't attend due to illness (curses) but a friend said he had to park further than he's ever had to park before. I figured this put us north of 10k. Wrong.

Yes Sir.

Thanksgiving is undefeated.

Hood
November 25th, 2018, 04:38 AM
Thanksgiving is undefeated.I made that turkey and dressing my b***h :D

Happy Thanksgiving, lionsrking2!

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2018, 04:56 AM
First Round Games:

UD @ JMU: 7294
USD @ Nicholls: 8571
SBU @ SEMO: 5679
Duquesne @ Towson: 2158
Elon @ Wofford: 2157
Lamar @ UNI: 4082
Incarnate Word @ MSU: 10017
Here's the attendance figures based on the regular season averages:

East Tennessee St @ Jacksonville St: 61.0% of average regular season attendance of 18,079
Incarnate Word @ Montana St: 57.1% of average regular season attendance of 17,547
San Diego @ Nicholls: 113.9% of average regular season attendance of 7,522
Delaware @ JMU: 30.9% of average regular season attendance of 23,634
Stony Brook @ SE Missouri St: 133.2% of average regular season attendance of 4,262
Lamar @ Northern Iowa: 39.3% of average regular season attendance of 10,388
Duquesne @ Towson: 31.3% of average regular season attendance of 6,905
Elon @ Wofford: 33.3% of average regular season attendance of 6,476

Props to Nicholls and SEMO for outselling their regular season averages which isn't easy on Thanksgiving Saturday (2nd straight year Nicholls has done that on Thanksgiving weekend).

Overall the average attendance in the first round of 6,373 was the 2nd highest since the field expanded to 24 in 2013. It trailed only 2014 which had an average of 7,297 fans attending the 1st round games. It's a 22.2% increase from last year's first round average attendance of 4,958. Those averages were helped by having 3 pretty good drawing schools in Montana St, JMU, and JSU all hosting this weekend.

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2018, 05:02 AM
most programs seem to report playoff attendance differently than they do regular season attendance, usually resulting in lower numbers overall.
whether that means they inflate the regular season numbers, underreport the postseason numbers, or both, I don't know.
In some cases, this is done because the NCAA takes a percentage of the gate, but when attendance is that low, I don't know if it matters that much, as you still have to cover your bid amount.
#NotPlayoffAttendance
I really hope it's due to inflated regular season reporting. If it's underreporting in the playoffs then whoever is doing that is cutting the legs out of any attempt to make the tournament less regionalized and more of a true tournament format. The only way we get more seeds and less regionalization is if the tournament starts making more money and gate receipts is going to be the first step towards doing that.

Hood
November 25th, 2018, 05:04 AM
It helped that the game was at 3pm and LSU didn't play until evening. Don't schedule a dog gone thing in Thibodaux (or Hammond - I can't vouch for the other college towns. No relatives there) when LSU is playing.

It's like hunting season in Conway.

Cocky
November 25th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Post the numbers from your games here:

I must to have missed seeing about 9000 of those folks. There were as many RVs and cars in the parking lots.

kalm
November 25th, 2018, 08:16 AM
UCD's lowest home attendance this season was 7300. They had over 10,000 when they played Idaho State. I have to imagine after the long wait to return to the playoffs that they'll have a good showing there, especially considering this might be their only home game. They even stayed over 6500 for all of last season.

Weber State had nearly 7000 when they hosted WIU over Thanksgiving weekend last season. I'd assume they'd want to bring the crowd back again this year and their numbers usually stay pretty consistent around 8000 from September to November.

EWU, it's hard to tell. It really depends on the weather as those poor fans don't like to venture outside when it gets below 40. ;) For example, in 2016 their best attended playoff game was their first game even though they played QF and SF home games.

Maine had 8000 the last time they hosted a playoff game. Granted, that was against New Hampshire in the second round, so that boosted the numbers.

Too bad we can't host the Griz in the playoffs every year....

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46521624_10218082752280119_7186583886644641792_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=12a190e635927d6d47c09239711e786d&oe=5CA57DA4

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Wofford's attendance yesterday was bad but we also inflate our attendance numbers during the regular season, probably announcing tickets sold not scanned.

I think our average is closer to 4-5,000 not 6 or 7,000 as listed. Still we didn't have great attendance. I imagine the Clemson Carolina game had something to do with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dgtw
November 25th, 2018, 08:44 AM

You think that’s accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting Bull
November 25th, 2018, 08:51 AM

- - - Updated - - -

#NotPlayoffAttendance

Three major factors can help explain the disparity:
1) Season tickets not a factor in the playoffs - these are counted in regular season games whether the holders show up or not. In the playoffs, you are starting from zero.
2) Students are gone. They also have to pay to atttend playoff games.
3) Lets face it, most people already have plans on a holiday weekend.

Cocky
November 25th, 2018, 09:03 AM

no

POD Knows
November 25th, 2018, 09:05 AM

ETSU @ Jax State: 11024Does your stadium hold 100,000 people

Cocky
November 25th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Does your stadium hold 100,000 people

If we had 11000 last night, yes.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 09:30 AM

I'm just posting what was online.

I can't imagine inflating playoff attendance numbers, that's just giving the NCAA free money. They probably went off tickets sold rather than butts in seats although they were scanning at the gates. Not sure how full club and the suites we're last night.
Does your stadium hold 100,000 people
"24,000" but based on the crowd from the near sellout games we've had I think it's really closer to 27k or so.

Milktruck74
November 25th, 2018, 09:35 AM

The only way you had 11,024 tickets sold is if you made your women purchase tickets for the extra seats their fat a$.e. take up!!!!

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2018, 09:37 AM
I really hope it's due to inflated regular season reporting. If it's underreporting in the playoffs then whoever is doing that is cutting the legs out of any attempt to make the tournament less regionalized and more of a true tournament format. The only way we get more seeds and less regionalization is if the tournament starts making more money and gate receipts is going to be the first step towards doing that.

Sidenote: The NCAA really needs to get off their butts and cut a net revenue-generating TV contract with either Fox Sports or NBC. Shoot, I bet Amazon or Facebook would be able to get a contract able to turn the FCS playoffs into a money maker without having to depend on ticket sales.

GAD
November 25th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Sidenote: The NCAA really needs to get off their butts and cut a net revenue-generating TV contract with either Fox Sports or NBC. Shoot, I bet Amazon or Facebook would be able to get a contract able to turn the FCS playoffs into a money maker without having to depend on ticket sales.
Their not going to listen, the SWAC has been saying that for almost 20 years but everyone chose to focus on our playoff record than what we were trying to tell them...Don't waste your time

POD Knows
November 25th, 2018, 10:18 AM
I'm just posting what was online.

I can't imagine underreporting playoff attendance, that's just giving the NCAA free money. They probably went off tickets sold rather than butts in seats although they were scanning at the gates. Not sure how full club and the suites we're last night.
"24,000" but based on the crowd from the near sellout games we've had I think it's really closer to 27k or so.I know, it just looked pretty empty, Thanksgiving weekend games are tough.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 11:18 AM
The only way you had 11,024 tickets sold is if you made your women purchase tickets for the extra seats their fat a$.e. take up!!!!
Mad cuz bad :D

jsualumnus
November 25th, 2018, 11:29 AM
How many were at your game yesterday? Wait... I know... You at least had a couple coaches sitting there after they got fired for smoking crack in that crack house of a high rise you have there.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 11:30 AM
How many were at your game yesterday? Wait... I know... You at least had a couple coaches sitting there after they got fired for smoking crack in that crack house of a high rise you have there.
They would have had more if we had come up to fill their stadium for them.

katss07
November 25th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Look at Nicholls! Way to go guys, that looks really good on the SLC and the FCS in general. To outsell regular season numbers on Thanksgiving weekend is great. That’s how it needs to be. Same thing about SEMO. Clearly JSU and MSU drew well. The crowd in Bozeman sounded LOUD on the radio and the announcers confirmed.

Disappointed that JMU and Towson drew poorly but especially Wofford.

I’d bet that all the BSC schools sell out. Davis and Weber at least, you never know with EWU. I’d bet the KSU and Maine are the only teams to draw under 6k.

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2018, 12:33 PM
The NCAA does have a pretty lucrative TV deal with ESPN for all the NCAA championships other than men's basketball. It was reportedly worth $500M over roughly a 12 year period I believe: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/espn-ncaa-extend-deal-2023-24-205614637.html

That includes 24 total NCAA championships but I'd imagine that the FCS playoffs are probably one of their better rated championships trailing probably the College World Series and the Women's basketball tournament (maybe volleyball and softball since those are big school events also but I think FCS ratings actually do even better than those). It runs through the 2024 season so that would be the earliest they could split out a TV deal for the FCS playoffs but my guess is they're happy with the financial arrangement they get for TV.

I'd prefer if ESPN would actually market the FCS playoffs a little better first or give it a little more time on the networks for the early rounds. I've said numerous times that I think they would do pretty well to devote about a 9 hour window (noon-9PM ET maybe) on ESPNU or ESPNEWS to FCS football for these first two playoff Saturdays and just switch back and forth between games depending on what's exciting.

It is promising that two FCS playoff TV spots have been "promoted" on the ESPN networks this year. The Saturday noon ET quarterfinal that got bumped from ESPN to ESPN2 last year is back on ESPN and the Saturday afternoon semifinal which has been on ESPNU for as long as I can remember was moved to ESPN2. The 30 minute Championship game pre-game show, which I think was only on ESPN3 as of a few years ago and on ESPNU last year was also moved to ESPN2 this year (same network as the championship game). I'm hoping that indicates that ESPN is seeing a little more value in FCS playoff broadcasts so they'll market it better and give it better TV spots in the future.

katss07
November 25th, 2018, 12:51 PM
The NCAA does have a pretty lucrative TV deal with ESPN for all the NCAA championships other than men's basketball. It was reportedly worth $500M over roughly a 12 year period I believe: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/espn-ncaa-extend-deal-2023-24-205614637.html

That includes 24 total NCAA championships but I'd imagine that the FCS playoffs are probably one of their better rated championships trailing probably the College World Series and the Women's basketball tournament (maybe volleyball and softball since those are big school events also but I think FCS ratings actually do even better than those). It runs through the 2024 season so that would be the earliest they could split out a TV deal for the FCS playoffs but my guess is they're happy with the financial arrangement they get for TV.

I'd prefer if ESPN would actually market the FCS playoffs a little better first or give it a little more time on the networks for the early rounds. I've said numerous times that I think they would do pretty well to devote about a 9 hour window (noon-9PM ET maybe) on ESPNU or ESPNEWS to FCS football for these first two playoff Saturdays and just switch back and forth between games depending on what's exciting.

It is promising that two FCS playoff TV spots have been "promoted" on the ESPN networks this year. The Saturday noon ET quarterfinal that got bumped from ESPN to ESPN2 last year is back on ESPN and the Saturday afternoon semifinal which has been on ESPNU for as long as I can remember was moved to ESPN2. The 30 minute Championship game pre-game show, which I think was only on ESPN3 as of a few years ago and on ESPNU last year was also moved to ESPN2 this year (same network as the championship game). I'm hoping that indicates that ESPN is seeing a little more value in FCS playoff broadcasts so they'll market it better and give it better TV spots in the future.
Thats a great idea! Or at least put a couple of games if they can’t do the show. A meaningless Sun Belt game between Georgia Southern and LA Monroe doesn’t need to be on. Yesterday ESPN could have had a Delaware/JMU and ETSU/JSU doubleheader. They seem to like both of those hosts quite a bit!

I’m just happy they have 2/4 quarterfinal games on the main channel. Last years Weber/JMU game was a thriller that even non FCS fans loved I’m sure. And the good crowd at JMU looked good for TV.

Schism55
November 25th, 2018, 01:23 PM
JMU had nowhere close to 7k. What a total load of BS.
No effing way that were half that at Towson

JayJ79
November 25th, 2018, 04:46 PM
I can't imagine underreporting playoff attendance, that's just giving the NCAA free money.

not following your logic here.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 04:49 PM
not following your logic here.

In the playoffs the NCAA gets a chunk of the ticket money.

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2018, 05:05 PM
In the playoffs the NCAA gets a chunk of the ticket money.
Right, so under-reporting attendance would allow a school to pocket more and send less to the NCAA not the other way around.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Right, so under-reporting attendance would allow a school to pocket more and send less to the NCAA not the other way around.I realized my error in the post in question. I meant over reporting. As in inflating attendance figures. IE saying you had 37 million fans when you only had 12 and so on.

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

PAllen
November 25th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Look at Nicholls! Way to go guys, that looks really good on the SLC and the FCS in general. To outsell regular season numbers on Thanksgiving weekend is great. That’s how it needs to be. Same thing about SEMO. Clearly JSU and MSU drew well. The crowd in Bozeman sounded LOUD on the radio and the announcers confirmed.

Disappointed that JMU and Towson drew poorly but especially Wofford.

I’d bet that all the BSC schools sell out. Davis and Weber at least, you never know with EWU. I’d bet the KSU and Maine are the only teams to draw under 6k.

I'd add Colgate to that list.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Looks like we might have some ugly attendance numbers this weekend. There's still 1000+ tickets for sale for the NDSU/Montana St game 2 days from kickoff so looking like that one may only end up with a little over 17k reported attendance and I'm not sure if any other 2nd round game is even going to pull in 10k. Last year the average was almost 11k for 2nd round games so I'm guessing we're going to see a pretty big dip in those numbers this year.

ASU33
November 29th, 2018, 01:03 PM

Yes

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 01:20 PM

Outside of 2005 (due to Hurricane Katrina), I think the Bayou Classic has been at the Superdome every year since at least 1990. It's nearly always the best-attended FCS vs FCS game of the year.

ASU33
November 29th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Outside of 2005 (due to Hurricane Katrina), I think the Bayou Classic has been at the Superdome every year since at least 1990. It's nearly always the best-attended FCS vs FCS game of the year.

Every year since 1974.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Every year since 1974.

I know it's been in NOLA since '74, but was it in the Superdome back then? I thought when it became the "Bayou Classic" officially, it started at Tulane's stadium. Wikipedia says the Superdome didn't open until '75.

ASU33
November 29th, 2018, 01:41 PM
I know it's been in NOLA since '74, but was it in the Superdome back then? I thought when it became the "Bayou Classic" officially, it started at Tulane's stadium. Wikipedia says the Superdome didn't open until '75.

Yeah first one in the Superdome was 1975. The 1974 edition was in Tulane Stadium

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2018, 01:42 PM
Yeah first one in the Superdome was 1975. The 1974 edition was in Tulane Stadium

Ah...cool. Thanks for the info.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2018, 02:08 AM
2nd round attendance:

Montana St @ NDSU: 17,007 (92.0% of regular season average of 18,480)
SEMO @ Weber St: 8,838 (107.1% of regular season average of 8,251)
UNI @ UC Davis: 8,306 (97.1% of regular season average of 8,556)
JMU @ Colgate: 6,418 (144.2% of regular season average of 4,449)
Jacksonville St @ Maine: 6,145 (83.8%% of regular season average of 7,331)
Nicholls @ EWU: 5,250 (57.7% of regular season average of 9,103)
Wofford @ Kennesaw St: 3,515 (52.4% of regular season average of 6,708)
Duquesne @ SDSU: 3,042 (26.8% of regular season average of 11,367)

Average attendance for the 2nd round games is 7,315 which is down 33% from last year's 2nd round. Through 2 rounds we're down about 17,500 fans from last year. A lot of that has to do with the hosts in these games but overall attendance is trending in the wrong direction if we want to see less regionalization in the tournament. Hopefully things pick up for the quarters but it'll be tough to keep pace with last year considering JMU and NDSU hosted last year with an average of 10,451 among the four quarterfinals and, other than NDSU, it seems unlikely that any quarterfinal host will draw more than 10k this year. I'm worried that even NDSU may draw only in the 15k range for this year's quarterfinal due to our spoiled-ass fan base but that's another discussion altogether.

Hood
December 2nd, 2018, 02:52 AM
I don't think those games combined hit the #s that attended the Bayou Classic or Harvard/Yale. Sheesh.

MTfan4life
December 2nd, 2018, 03:17 AM
2nd round attendance:

Average attendance for the 2nd round games is 7,315 which is down 33% from last year's 2nd round. Through 2 rounds we're down about 17,500 fans from last year. A lot of that has to do with the hosts in these games but overall attendance is trending in the wrong direction if we want to see less regionalization in the tournament. Hopefully things pick up for the quarters but it'll be tough to keep pace with last year considering JMU and NDSU hosted last year with an average of 10,451 among the four quarterfinals and, other than NDSU, it seems unlikely that any quarterfinal host will draw more than 10k this year. I'm worried that even NDSU may draw only in the 15k range for this year's quarterfinal due to our spoiled-ass fan base but that's another discussion altogether.

The two lowest attended games had some terrible weather. Miserable and sloppy rain in Kennesaw and a winter wonderland in Brookings.

Weber State had a double party on Saturday in Ogden. Just after the football game, their basketball team had over 9,000 to watch them knock off BYU.

Those are pretty good attendance percentages for most of the games.

katss07
December 2nd, 2018, 08:26 AM
KSU better pick it up mext round. Despite the bad weather you should get more than 3k.

kdinva
December 2nd, 2018, 08:48 AM
KSU better pick it up mext round. Despite the bad weather you should get more than 3k.

agree here...........an up and coming program with a new and excited fan base, trying to be a regular on the national scene........should have been 9,000+ yesterday......

and even with the snow, I thought SDSU would get 10000 as well....

Pards Rule
December 2nd, 2018, 08:53 AM
Wow 3000 in Brookings SD...well a blizzard on playoff day keeps the fans away!

Hammerhead
December 2nd, 2018, 09:28 AM
There's a reason the four FCS teams closest to Brookings play in domed stadiums. :)

Wow 3000 in Brookings SD...well a blizzard on playoff day keeps the fans away!

TheKingpin28
December 2nd, 2018, 10:48 AM
Wow 3000 in Brookings SD...well a blizzard on playoff day keeps the fans away!Also sdsu is a basketball school and they played in the Twin Cities at US Bank Stadium which did not help either.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2018, 11:03 AM
2nd round attendance:

There are 13,500 season ticket holders and they will sell out. Probably hit 17K again. Would like to see a sell out. This team is special and people should come out to see them if there are a few tickets left.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2018, 12:07 PM
There are 13,500 season ticket holders and they will sell out. Probably hit 17K again. Would like to see a sell out. This team is special and people should come out to see them if there are a few tickets left.
We'll see. I hope you're right about 17k+.

Pards Rule
December 3rd, 2018, 10:24 AM
Also sdsu is a basketball school and they played in the Twin Cities at US Bank Stadium which did not help either.

OK, did not know that. I guess watching roundball in a heated clime is better than watching another playoff game and in a blizzard no less. Well, go Dallas, er, Goedert I mean...I'm a longtime Eagles fan since 1972! Im contemplating another Frisco trip (I went to watch the 2012 first NDSU NC) to see my friends I made from my Sept 2011 visit to Fargo for the Lafayette game (Carson Wentz first college football game, albeit on bench! There's some trivia!)

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 10:28 AM
We'll see. I hope you're right about 17k+.17007 at the game in Fargo and about 6000 at halftime, weak sauce.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 10:32 AM
17007 at the game in Fargo and about 6000 at halftime, weak sauce.
The players are noticing too:

https://twitter.com/D_Marlette25/status/1069277102313230337

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2018, 10:32 AM
OK, did not know that. I guess watching roundball in a heated clime is better than watching another playoff game and in a blizzard no less. Well, go Dallas, er, Goedert I mean...I'm a longtime Eagles fan since 1972! Im contemplating another Frisco trip (I went to watch the 2012 first NDSU NC) to see my friends I made from my Sept 2011 visit to Fargo for the Lafayette game (Carson Wentz first college football game, albeit on bench! There's some trivia!)

You can't pay me to go to a basketball game. No defense and a bunch of primadonnas whining and complaining about how they "don't get the calls" and need the ball in their hands at all times.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 10:38 AM
The players are noticing too:

https://twitter.com/D_Marlette25/status/1069277102313230337I imagine he is calling out the students in section 12-14, we had a pile of people in section 6 leave at the half. I simply do not get it, why get all ready for the game and then only stay in your seat for and hour and a half. Are 2/3's of the people in that building raging alcoholics and need to hit the bars after a couple hour break from tailgating. I just don't get it.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 10:40 AM
Just a quick shout out here, I might have a few extra tickets this weekend for the Colgate game, anybody interested, $40 in section 6, rows Q and R

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2018, 10:45 AM
I imagine he is calling out the students in section 12-14, we had a pile of people in section 6 leave at the half. I simply do not get it, why get all ready for the game and then only stay in your seat for and hour and a half. Are 2/3's of the people in that building raging alcoholics and need to hit the bars after a couple hour break from tailgating. I just don't get it.
Apparently some wanted to watch the Bama/Georgia game. Apparently some go through alcohol withdrawals after 90 minutes without a beer. Apparently some don't like to watch their team dominate.

I'm fed up with it too. Way too many fans are spoiled/entitled and it's only getting worse. The sad thing is I think this team would generate more "interest" locally by getting upset in the playoffs than by winning another title. Maybe we need another 2009 season to roll around. I just feel bad for the players/coaches mostly... because apparently they're driving away fans with how good they've been.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2018, 10:49 AM
Apparently some wanted to watch the Bama/Georgia game. Apparently some go through alcohol withdrawals after 90 minutes without a beer. Apparently some don't like to watch their team dominate.

I'm fed up with it too. Way too many fans are spoiled/entitled and it's only getting worse. The sad thing is I think this team would generate more "interest" locally by getting upset in the playoffs than by winning another title. Maybe we need another 2009 season to roll around. I just feel bad for the players/coaches mostly... because apparently they're driving away fans with how good they've been.I have never been bored in a blow out, I like watching new guys get a chance to play. I sold a couple tickets a while back to a couple of people that decided to leave at halftime because the game was a blow out, they will never get another ticket from me. Screw 'em.

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2018, 10:53 AM
I imagine he is calling out the students in section 12-14, we had a pile of people in section 6 leave at the half. I simply do not get it, why get all ready for the game and then only stay in your seat for and hour and a half. Are 2/3's of the people in that building raging alcoholics and need to hit the bars after a couple hour break from tailgating. I just don't get it.

I'm fed up with it too. Way too many fans are spoiled/entitled and it's only getting worse. The sad thing is I think this team would generate more "interest" locally by getting upset in the playoffs than by winning another title. Maybe we need another 2009 season to roll around. I just feel bad for the players/coaches mostly... because apparently they're driving away fans with how good they've been.

I was sitting next to BFINWMN and the entire northwest endzone corner was empty before kickoff. What kind of a fan leaves at halftime? I fully support what Dan tweeted out and I can't believe the audacity these so called "fans" have to leave while these kids pour their hearts out on the field. As much as I want to disagree with the 09 statement, I can't as I agree with you. The students were bad when I was in school, but this has reached a whole new level of apathy. They should install a system where if you leave before the game is over, your ID is scanned and you are banned for the rest of the season in buying student tickets. Maybe this way, only 500 show up an stay and we can get some new blood in the dome. This is flat out pathetic and I cannot believe that not just the students, but the fans would empty out at halftime and leave us with a half empty stadium. Thank you to the fans who stick around till the end.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2018, 10:58 AM
I have never been bored in a blow out, I like watching new guys get a chance to play. I sold a couple tickets a while back to a couple of people that decided to leave at halftime because the game was a blow out, they will never get another ticket from me. Screw 'em.

I like watching the new guys too. Usually stay until the last minute. Some of the season ticket holders were in bad weather area's. Most in my section will sell at cost to each other if they can't make it. I made the 7 hour round trip on Saturday, had to slow down on the way home due to snow, but no big deal. Listened to the UNI game on the radio.

ngineer
December 3rd, 2018, 12:32 PM
Over 6,000 at Colgate, I think is an excellent crowd, considering many JMU people had a significant hike. On my trips to Hamilton for Lehigh games, the attendance is barely 3,000 with a good percentage wearing brown. Good to see the "Dunlap stand" over half full.

Professor Chaos
December 8th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Quarterfinal attendance:

Colgate @ NDSU: 16,404 (88.8% of regular season average of 18,480)
Maine @ Weber St: 7,726 (93.6% of regular season average of 8,251)
UC Davis @ EWU: 5,503 (60.5% of regular season average of 9,103)
SDSU @ Kennesaw St: 3,242 (48.3% of regular season average of 6,708)

Average attendance for the quarterfinal games was 8,219 which is down 21% from last year's quarterfinals. Through 3 rounds we're down about 26,000 fans from last year but a lot of that has to do with the hosts in these games compared to last year. It'll be tough to keep pace with the semis with last year also since NDSU and JMU hosted each drawing over 16K and it seems very unlikely EWU can even get to 10k.

unknown3
December 8th, 2018, 10:03 PM
That attendance sucks except for NDSU

TheKingpin28
December 8th, 2018, 10:05 PM
That attendance sucks except for NDSU

It sucks for NDSU too. It's pathetic actually.

NDSUtk
December 8th, 2018, 10:05 PM
That attendance sucks including NDSU

Fixed it for you.

cx500d
December 8th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Quarterfinal attendance:

Colgate @ NDSU: 16,404 (88.8% of regular season average of 18,480)
Maine @ Weber St: 7,726 (93.6% of regular season average of 8,251)
UC Davis @ EWU: 5,503 (60.5% of regular season average of 9,103)
SDSU @ Kennesaw St: 3,242 (48.3% of regular season average of 6,708)

Average attendance for the quarterfinal games was 8,219 which is down 21% from last year's quarterfinals. Through 3 rounds we're down about 26,000 fans from last year but a lot of that has to do with the hosts in these games compared to last year. It'll be tough to keep pace with the semis with last year also since NDSU and JMU hosted each drawing over 16K and it seems very unlikely EWU can even get to 10k.

No way there was 3000 at Kennesaw. They are off by an order of magnitude...300 maybe.

TwinCitiesBison
December 9th, 2018, 08:00 AM
It sucks for NDSU too. It's pathetic actually.

I wonder how much of that has to do with the matchup, too. No disrespect to Colgate's program, but it doesn't move the needle in Fargo. Having JMU come to the Dome for a rematch would have probably filled the seats.

MR. CHICKEN
December 9th, 2018, 08:08 AM
I wonder how much of that has to do with the matchup, too. No disrespect to Colgate's program, but it doesn't move the needle in Fargo. Having JMU come to the Dome for a rematch would have probably filled the seats.

....THOUGHT YOUSE......WOOLIE MAMMOUTHS...........WANTED TA SEE......NEWBIES........IN DUH DOME?......YOUSE SADISTS.......LIKE TA SEE 'EM SQUIRM..............AWK!

POD Knows
December 9th, 2018, 08:55 AM
I wonder how much of that has to do with the matchup, too. No disrespect to Colgate's program, but it doesn't move the needle in Fargo. Having JMU come to the Dome for a rematch would have probably filled the seats.We didn't fill the game for the Montana State game and you just wait and see how many blue clad douche bags are in the stands for the upcoming game with SDSU.

walliver
December 9th, 2018, 09:10 AM
As much as I hate regionalization, these numbers explain why it exists.

Kennesaw obviously lost money hosting this game (seeded teams still have to meet the NCAA minimum guarantee), but would the minimum guarantee cover SDSU's airfare and other transportation costs? KSU's attendance would have been better if the southeast hadn't experienced cold rainy days for the last 3 weekends.

With these kind of numbers, the committee may be forced to not seed NDSU in the future so they can get some first round revenue.:D

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2018, 09:32 AM
We didn't fill the game for the Montana State game and you just wait and see how many blue clad douche bags are in the stands for the upcoming game with SDSU.
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if there's nearly as many SDSU fans in the Fargodome this Friday as there was at the Dikhouse for the Duquesne game (about 3k).

I'm ok with it though, will make it fun and give the fans of ours who like to sit on their hands even more reason to "compete" and make the atmosphere a little more raucous. Just as long as Bison fans don't try to compete when the Bison are on offense.

TheKingpin28
December 9th, 2018, 09:52 AM

It's just that our fanbase has been sucking since 2013. The people that go to the games are awesome and I am grateful for them, but when I have to travel 3.5 hours each way to see a game and our fans in the FM area can't be "bothered" to go to the game, that is pathetic. Hell, we have fans that do NOT like the Bison, that travel from around the US to see the Cal Poly game as well as fans who ARE Bison fans to see it, just to build relationships/friendships. It has nothing to do with the program name, it's that our fanbase is so damn entitled that they feel like it's going to be another Championship.

Name the last time in recent history, you remember a college football team at the D1 level be this dominant? I ask, since this has NEVER happened in modern football and will likely never happen again. Everything has worked out perfectly for the Bison to succeed as well as getting the perfect draws when it came to the committee.

2010: Heartbreak and Bill Fette gives NDSU the anger and drive they need to make sure the refs never decide a game again
2011: Players are reminded about the EWU "loss" and want another shot but instead, need a fake punt against the Kats to set up their 1st title
2012: Brock saves the day against GSU with a 4th and Goal at the 3, and they block the FG by GSU
2013: UNI ****s the bed to allow NDSU comes back to win the game as well as the KSU "drive"
2014: RJ beats SDSU on a last second hail mary TD in the playoffs as well as CCU part 2 in the playoffs
2015: Carson breaks his wrist in loss to USeD as well as UNI gives them the best game of the playoffs but Bailey can't hit the broadside of a barn
2016: JMU beats NDSU at their own game and we all wonder, what the hell just happened. (Abdullah was a solid back!)
2017: The revenge game part 2 and NDSU gets the stop at the goalline on a pass and NDSU gets its' revenge on the streamers
2018:

You see a pattern? Each year, NDSU has faced adversity in the playoffs (2013 being the exception and 2016 being the loss) and have won games they probably shouldn't have won. That's an honest assessment. Our fanbase, not all, but a good amount, can't be bothered to see these kids give it their all? We are so damn entitled and it really sucks to see the stadium have empty blocks/sections due to the whole "well we're going to win it anyways" mentality. It has nothing to do with who the opponent is, and more to do with who some of our fans are. When NDSU got rid of the GA tailgating and drove away the experience of lining up overnight to get a good spot, that hurt. I know people who won't go to games, since they don't have season tickets and they live within 30 minutes of the stadium since they don't want to got through the "hassell" of buying single game tickets. It's ****ing pathetic and I am tired of it. Support the team and go to the games or stop bitching and complaining.

None of this is directed at you, just our entitled fanbase.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if there's nearly as many SDSU fans in the Fargodome this Friday as there was at the Dikhouse for the Duquesne game (about 3k).

I'm ok with it though, will make it fun and give the fans of ours who like to sit on their hands even more reason to "compete" and make the atmosphere a little more raucous. Just as long as Bison fans don't try to compete when the Bison are on offense.

There will not be 3K bunny fans at the dome Friday.....xrolleyesx

Hammerhead
December 9th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Some Bison fans decided not to get tickets for the quarterfinals and hoped to spend their money (and time) at a semifinal game. Mrs. Hammerhead and I have attended every playoff game since moving back to Fargo in 2015 because you never know which one might be the last one of the year.

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2018, 11:06 AM
It's just that our fanbase has been sucking since 2013. The people that go to the games are awesome and I am grateful for them, but when I have to travel 3.5 hours each way to see a game and our fans in the FM area can't be "bothered" to go to the game, that is pathetic. Hell, we have fans that do NOT like the Bison, that travel from around the US to see the Cal Poly game as well as fans who ARE Bison fans to see it, just to build relationships/friendships. It has nothing to do with the program name, it's that our fanbase is so damn entitled that they feel like it's going to be another Championship.​

Hell, if I was less than a 4-hour drive from Fargo, I'd be at this next weekend's game, for sure. I'm not specifically a fan of either team, but for this game, it'd be worth it.

POD Knows
December 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Some Bison fans decided not to get tickets for the quarterfinals and hoped to spend their money (and time) at a semifinal game. Mrs. Hammerhead and I have attended every playoff game since moving back to Fargo in 2015 because you never know which one might be the last one of the year.Well, if this statement is true, that is pretty sad, the tickets are $40 and $30 for the endzone and the end zones have had a ton of empty seats. I guess maybe I view football a little differently than other sports given how few games there are and the basic nature of the game itself. I believe that the commitment and the risk the players undertake just to play the game demands respect. I know that people will run into conflicts that prevent them from going to the games but this issue with attendance at playoff games completely confuses me, these are the playoffs for Christ's sake, not a game against Missouri State. I expect a better Bison turnout at the SDSU game but if we have 16,400 "Bison" fans at this game, then the problem is deeper than we realize.

TheKingpin28
December 9th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Hell, if I was less than a 4-hour drive from Fargo, I'd be at this next weekend's game, for sure. I'm not specifically a fan of either team, but for this game, it'd be worth it.

I am going to be there and I am taking a day off of work to go to this. This is the game of the year for the Bison and potentially the season for the FCS. You have, what some might consider, the 2 best overall teams going head to head in what might be currently, the best rivalry at the FCS level that decides the seeding for the playoffs. I can't wait for this game and I already got my hotel booked, now I just need it to be Friday so I can head up there and start the festivities. Tailgating is going to be insane this coming Friday.

TennBison
December 9th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Attendance for yesterdays Bison game was somewhere around 16,5000. Good thing for us we didn't have a 27K seat stadium, imagine what it would have been like with 10K empty seats. Just saying........maybe those in charge at the time were not wrong with making it a 19K seat stadium.

Laker
December 9th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Medium Happy‏Verified account @jdubs88 (https://twitter.com/jdubs88) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/jdubs88/status/1071903090876530688)More

This is cool, adding to tweet by @RedditCFB (https://twitter.com/RedditCFB) : All four FCS national semi-finalists (EWU, NDSU, SDSU, Maine) are located north of Toronto (and Portland, Maine).

cx500d
December 9th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Medium Happy‏Verified account @jdubs88 (https://twitter.com/jdubs88) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/jdubs88/status/1071903090876530688)More

This is cool, adding to tweet by @RedditCFB (https://twitter.com/RedditCFB) : All four FCS national semi-finalists (EWU, NDSU, SDSU, Maine) are located north of Toronto (and Portland, Maine).

#NorthernSpeedtm

walliver
December 9th, 2018, 06:21 PM

Does that mean they get to use 12 players with everybody running around at the snap?

cx500d
December 9th, 2018, 06:23 PM
Does that mean they get to use 12 players with everybody running around at the snap?

Our field is bigger than yours

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2018, 08:36 PM

That is interesting.

I found it also interesting that...

* 3 of the 4 (NDSU, SDSU, & Maine) are located in states that have no in-state FBS Teams
* 2 of the 4 (EWU & Maine) are located in states that have no ‘other’ in-state FCS Teams

melloware13
December 9th, 2018, 09:36 PM

Semifinalists by distance to Canada (straight lines via google maps):
- Maine (63.34 miles to border with New Brunswick, just south of Great Falls Dam on St. Croix River)
- Eastern Washington (104.20 miles to border with British Columbia, just east of where Columbia River enters Washington)
- North Dakota State (144.91 miles to border with Manitoba, just west of US-59 crossing)
- South Dakota State (323.31 miles to border with Manitoba, just west of US-59 crossing)

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2018, 09:43 PM
I'm confused now... who's going to make the jokes about playing a team from Southern Canada???

ST_Lawson
December 9th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Let's just move the championship game to Vancouver...the BC Lions stadium has a retractable roof and can cover up their upper deck section to make it seat just over 22k people. Everyone get their passports ready.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2018, 10:24 AM
There will not be 3K bunny fans at the dome Friday.....xrolleyesx
Good call xthumbsupx

Reports from the tweeter-sphere this morning are that the student allotment is already almost gone, single game tickets sold out in minutes yesterday (although some of that was probably SDSU fans), and I can't imagine there's going to be many unclaimed season tickets. I'd expect a very limited amount of tickets on sale Wednesday morning. This game is going to be packed to the rafters. Seems like the sleeping bear that is our playoff fan base has finally awoken.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Good call xthumbsupx

Reports from the tweeter-sphere this morning are that the student allotment is already almost gone, single game tickets sold out in minutes yesterday (although some of that was probably SDSU fans), and I can't imagine there's going to be many unclaimed season tickets. I'd expect a very limited amount of tickets on sale Wednesday morning. This game is going to be packed to the rafters. Seems like the sleeping bear that is our playoff fan base has finally awoken.There will be at least 506 SDSU fans there unless that SDSU guy is lying about the 6 tickets he scored. I think there will be between 1000 and 2000 SDSU, some people simply cannot resist the extra $100 they will make scalping tickets.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2018, 10:28 AM
There will be at least 506 SDSU fans there unless that SDSU guy is lying about the 6 tickets he scored. I think there will be between 1000 and 2000 SDSU, some people simply cannot resist the extra $100 they will make scalping tickets.
Yeah, I'm sure SDSU will fill that entire visitor's section and they'll be scattered elsewhere throughout but I'd say it'll be 1500 SDSU fans tops and that'll be because, like you said, some Bison fans made some money (which doesn't make me as upset as unclaimed tickets being bought by opposing fans from the NDSU ticket office).

POD Knows
December 10th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm sure SDSU will fill that entire visitor's section and they'll be scattered elsewhere throughout but I'd say it'll be 1500 SDSU fans tops and that'll be because, like you said, some Bison fans made some money (which doesn't make me as upset as unclaimed tickets being bought by opposing fans from the NDSU ticket office).I can't imagine there would be any unclaimed reserved tickets but there are a lot of clueless people out walking around so who knows.

GAD
December 10th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I'm watching the replay of the S. Dakota State vs Kennesaw St game and I feel like I might come down with the flu just from watching it

TheKingpin28
December 10th, 2018, 02:24 PM
As long as Thumper doesn't get in, it will be all good. xlolx

In all seriousness I expect around 1000 or so as well. 1500 seems a little high

ysubigred
December 10th, 2018, 02:32 PM
There will be at least 506 SDSU fans there unless that SDSU guy is lying about the 6 tickets he scored. I think there will be between 1000 and 2000 SDSU, some people simply cannot resist the extra $100 they will make scalping tickets.

SDSU traveled well to Y-Town in 17,, I counted 96. 408 YSU fans, we were louder :D

Professor Chaos
December 15th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Semifinal attendance:

SDSU @ NDSU: 18,286 (99.0% of regular season average of 18,480)
Maine @ EWU: 7,529 (82.7% of regular season average of 9,103)

Average attendance for the semifinal games was 12,908 which is down about 26% from last year's semis but that was expected since JMU hosted a semi last year. Through 4 rounds we're down about 35,000 fans from last year (17%) but a lot of that has to do with the hosts in these games compared to last year. Might see a slight bump in Frisco from the 19,090 in attendance last year since all the stadium renovation is finally done but it looks like overall attendance this year will be the 2nd lowest it's been since the field expanded to 24 teams in 2013 ahead of only the 184,279 total attendance in 2013. The next closest is 200,034 in 2016 but we aren't getting the necessary 32k in Frisco to get there.

Nor Eastern
January 5th, 2019, 07:43 PM
National Title game : 17802

nodak651
January 8th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Is that down from prior years? Was expecting this to be higher after the stadium renovation.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Is that down from prior years? Was expecting this to be higher after the stadium renovation.
It's down about 1200 from last year (when it was 19,090). The stadium renovation actually reduced stadium capacity by about 3,000 I think. They used to have 30+ rows in the endzone and it was bleacher bench seating so they could cram more seats into them then they can in the ~20 rows of chairback seats they have now. Last year they got above 19k only because they sold a ton a SRO tickets (I'd guess maybe as much as 1,000 of them). This year it was a sellout except for a little chunk in EWU's allotment and I would guess they sold very few SRO so my guess is capacity is 18k now and it used to be about 21k before the renovations (NDSU/JSU in 2015 drew 21,836).

In all overall playoff attendance this year was 185,998 which is just barely above the lowest it's ever been since the field expanded to 24 in 2013 (total attendance was 184,279 in 2013). Average attendances per game was 8,087 which is down from an average attendances of 9,684 last year. Not good numbers but a lot of that had to do with the traditional powers like JMU, JSU, and Montana either not making the playoffs or not getting any home games outside of Thanksgiving weekend. Only two games that didn't involve NDSU had over 10k in attendance and that was the Montana St/UIW game that drew 10,017 and the JSU/ETSU game that drew 11,024.

JSUSoutherner
January 8th, 2019, 12:19 PM
It's down about 1200 from last year (when it was 19,090). The stadium renovation actually reduced stadium capacity by about 3,000 I think. They used to have 30+ rows in the endzone and it was bleacher bench seating so they could cram more seats into them then they can in the ~20 rows of chairback seats they have now. Last year they got above 19k only because they sold a ton a SRO tickets (I'd guess maybe as much as 1,000 of them). This year it was a sellout except for a little chunk in EWU's allotment and I would guess they sold very few SRO so my guess is capacity is 18k now and it used to be about 21k before the renovations (NDSU/JSU in 2015 drew 21,836).

In all overall playoff attendance this year as 185,998 which is just barely above the lowest it's ever been since the field expanded to 24 in 2013 (total attendance was 184,279 in 2013). Average attendances per game was 8,087 which is down from an average attendances of 9,684 last year. Not good numbers but a lot of that had to do with the traditional powers like JMU, JSU, and Montana either not making the playoffs or not getting any home games outside of Thanksgiving weekend. Only two game that didn't involve NDSU had over 10k in attendance and that was the Montana St/UIW game that drew 10,017 and the JSU/ETSU game that drew 11,024.

We had 11,000 for ETSU.

Edit: I see your stealth edit.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2019, 12:20 PM
We had 11,000 for ETSU.
Yeah, I edited it shortly after I posted it. Missed that one when eyeballing it initially.

JSUSoutherner
January 8th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I edited it shortly after I posted it. Missed that one when eyeballing it initially.

Happens.

We would have had more if it weren't for the Iron Bowl.

Sader87
January 9th, 2019, 12:10 AM
Hardly anyone cares......

NDSUtk
January 9th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Hardly anyone cares......Especially schools that can't do anything in the playoffs.