PDA

View Full Version : Wofford @ Kennesaw

Pages : [1] 2 3

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 09:42 PM
I forgot how to make a poll but let's get it on!

POD Knows
November 24th, 2018, 09:43 PM
You know, this game might only take two hours to play

ksu_owls
November 24th, 2018, 09:43 PM
I’ll be in the Gold lot with plenty of beer on Saturday for any and all visitors.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Shortest game of the year...time wise....xchinscratchx....:D

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2018, 09:51 PM
If you like option football or teams that wear black and yellow/gold, this game is for you.

Daytripper
November 24th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Passing yards combined: over/under 200?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2018, 10:02 PM
FWIW the Wofford/Elon game went really fast today. Faster than normal. First half was done in an hour and ESPN 3 clocks the game at 2:14

JSUSoutherner
November 24th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Wofford gonna get Kenne-killed.

Kennecame, Kennesaw, Kenneconquer

ElCid
November 24th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Passing yards combined: over/under 200?

Over. Because they both know how to defend the run. That will force the less successful running team to pass a lot more, or both.

Better question, over/under rushing.....i will say 525.

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Wofford gonna get Kenne-killed.

Kennecame, Kennesaw, KenneconquerTu es a veni

jsualumnus
November 24th, 2018, 11:49 PM
Predicting a total of 4 passes the whole game... 4....

etsuandpurdue3
November 25th, 2018, 12:09 AM
Wofford is going to blow out Kennesaw.

gofurman
November 25th, 2018, 02:06 AM
Wofford is going to blow out Kennesaw.

Wow. I am SoCon and I wouldn't go that far AT ALL. KSU IS FOR REAL. Ksu should be favored

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Over. Because they both know how to defend the run. That will force the less successful running team to pass a lot more, or both.

Better question, over/under rushing.....i will say 525.

I bet this also.

Maybe a shade over that for the rushing yards.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Wofford will try to throw at least 8 passes.

I said this before and I will say it again: Kennesaw has never played a defense that is this good with this much option experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I said this before and I will say it again: Kennesaw has never played a defense that is this good with this much option experience.

Yeah people just don't get it. Wofford will also be the best defense they have seen to date this year.

dewey
November 25th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Predicting a total of 4 passes the whole game... 4....

I would take the over on that onexthumbsupx

Dewey

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Historically, you don't see many games between two option teams that are shootouts. I don't think this one will be an exception.

This game will come down to special teams and turnovers. Both teams are among the best in the FCS in net punting, but Kennesaw has been somewhat better in turnovers.

My guess is 23-17 Kennesaw, but it could go either way.

POD Knows
November 25th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I got Wofford, 21 - 17

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Wofford scoring defense against teams that got 70%+ of their yardage from running the ball

2018 Citadel 14 (2 scoring drives started inside Wofford's 30)
2017 Furman playoffs 10
2017 Furman 23 (Wofford had literally 0 film in this one)
2016 citadel playoffs 3
2016 Charleston Southern 14
2016 citadel 18 (2 pts came on a conversion after "the pitch 6" and another 3 in OT).

I don't include Furman from this year because Furman's offense was more balanced and more of a multiple or pro offense than one exhibiting option principles (at least more than usual). That's our kryptonite.

Our defensive strength is run defense. Teams that like to run the ball have a hard time against us. Elon was averaging over 200 yards a game against us and we held them to less than 60 and 2 ypc.

Having said that, Kennesaw state is a stellar team who will throw at us different looks from aforementioned teams and their defense is a wild card. We really don't know how good they are against a strong running team because they haven't played one at their current strength.

If you want to run the ball against Wofford you have to get us off balance with a strong passing game. Running the ball will put you off schedule like an air raid offense having a bad day with drops. If you look at the film with NDSU last year and Furman this year that's what they did really well (and why I don't think we are a championship team this year but I digress). I'm not confident Kennesaw can do that, but I have been wrong before.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2018, 11:25 AM
gotta go with Wofford .... no looking back!

ming01
November 25th, 2018, 11:43 AM
KSU better overall

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2018, 11:57 AM
KSU better overall

2 option teams - I'll go with the one with the better QB.

Kennesaw wins this one.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Tu es a vini???https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181125/25fbb271cbf694669726a7e6c5865093.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

Daytripper
November 25th, 2018, 12:43 PM
KSU 24 Wofford 21

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Big Sky officiating crew in this game according to refstripes (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=14211.0). Last week a Big Sky crew officiated the San Diego/Nicholls game.

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2018, 01:10 PM
???https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181125/25fbb271cbf694669726a7e6c5865093.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using TapatalkSome knowlege of The Latin & thought required.

Googling won’t ‘get’ it. Oh well, I guess Matthew 7:6 applies once again.

cx500d
November 25th, 2018, 01:11 PM
learn

katss07
November 25th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Kennesaw State sucks. I almost want them to win so the Jackrabbits can **** them up next week. But I’ll cheer for Wofford.

SU DOG
November 25th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I'll be pulling hard for the Terriers, but having seen both of these teams, I would have to give the slight edge to KSU. The Owls' are just so FAST to the corners in their attack, and their QB is the "Engerizer Bunny" who makes so few bad reads. In spite of that, here's hoping that Wofford gets some turnover breaks. I think the real key to this game is how effective the Terriers can be between the tackles with their power running plays. Kennesaw is pretty small, but they are unbelievably quick, so it will be interesting.

cx500d
November 25th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Kennesaw State sucks. I almost want them to win so the Jackrabbits can **** them up next week. But I’ll cheer for Wofford.

Jackrabbits are most vulnerable to a triple option

dungeonjoe
November 25th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Some knowlege of The Latin & thought required.

Googling won’t ‘get’ it. Oh well, I guess Matthew 7:6 applies once again.
dogs, pigs, and pearls. There is a sermon there somewhere in gentle FUBEAR's brain...or a bad memory.

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I'll be pulling hard for the Terriers, but having seen both of these teams, I would have to give the slight edge to KSU. The Owls' are just so FAST to the corners in their attack, and their QB is the "Engerizer Bunny" who makes so few bad reads. In spite of that, here's hoping that Wofford gets some turnover breaks. I think the real key to this game is how effective the Terriers can be between the tackles with their power running plays. Kennesaw is pretty small, but they are unbelievably quick, so it will be interesting.Vs. small & quick did NOT go well for the RatDog O-Line when they played Furman. They were VERY bad up front that day, after playing remarkably well considering the overall youth of the unit (including their position Coach) earlier and after. I thought they looked pretty good yesterday. So, let’s hope they’ve fixed and/or figured out how to play OL against smaller/quicker D-Fronts since that Furman game.

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2018, 01:57 PM
dogs, pigs, and pearls. There is a sermon there somewhere in gentle FUBEAR's brain...or a bad memory.
You left out the guy unto whom we should render what is his. He’s part of this too.

dungeonjoe
November 25th, 2018, 02:03 PM
You left out the guy unto whom we should render what is his. He’s part of this too.
I chose to exegete just the verse you listed. I try not to leave that Guy out. But I think His caring capacity is better focused on greater matters than the size and quickness of the defensive line of the Chosen Ones, the Rightful Remnant Ratdogs of the SoConxpeacexxpeacex

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Random miscellaneous stat that may mean absolutely nothing: Wofford has run the ball at least 40 times in every game this year.

The only team to attempt that many against Kennesaw was Clark Atlanta (I think).

Meanwhile, the Citadel ran the ball 55 times against Wofford with minimal avail (Wofford did better than Bama or anyone. Take that what you will)

Professor Chaos
November 25th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Team stats comparison for this matchup:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4813/45998346242_1f06cc0c25_z.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Both are good rushing defenses.....strength vs strength.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2018, 03:17 PM
2 option teams - I'll go with the one with the better QB.

Kennesaw wins this one.

this here makes alot of sense

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 03:28 PM
The more I dig into this one, the better I feel about it.

If you look at the run defense stats on this one, they look pretty similar, but if you parse them out there are some "uh oh" indicators for KSU.

Namely, I don't think it's a controversial statement to say Wofford has played some better running offenses than Kennesaw. Further, though both teams have had their share of garbage time yardage given up, I think it's a safe assumption that garbage time makes opposing teams pass more, so run yards may be suppressed. I could be wrong about this assumption. On the top of my head I remember Wofford letting up big runs by Mercer and PC (Though I'm less inclined to chalk that to garbage time for Mercer because their backup RB was very underrated). So it's possible that KSU did the same thing.

With that caveat aside, Wofford is letting up about 3.1 yards per rush on about 3 carries less per game than Kennesaw, compared to about 3.3 for Kennesaw. That translates Wofford letting up less yardage on more carries (2) in one more game.

So, that's probably margin of error there. I concede that. What's problematic is that I would bet a large sum of money that Woffords rushing opponents have been better than KSU's.

Between Elon, Furman, the citadel, Western Carolina, heck even Wyoming, I don't think Kennesaw comes close. I'm open to the possibility that Georgia State and Jacksonville state are comparable, but I gather that the latter prefers to pass.

Even so, the fact that Wofford is doing better with a harder schedule, while Kennesaw state is letting lesser rush teams run for more on a game by game basis on average (Wofford has held 7 teams at or below 3 ypc this year, KSU has done it 4 times) is a good sign for the Terriers

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I chose to exegete just the verse you listed. I try not to leave that Guy out. But I think His caring capacity is better focused on greater matters than the size and quickness of the defensive line of the Chosen Ones, the Rightful Remnant Ratdogs of the SoConxpeacexxpeacex
LOL - I meant the other guy - the Latin one...the speaker of the initial quote that was Anglicized and punned, then retranslated & also punned in part, at which point the millennial among us attempted to comprehend the pun via digital resources, which failed him...and how we got here. To summarize...

GO WOFFORD!!

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Random miscellaneous stat that may mean absolutely nothing: Wofford has run the ball at least 40 times in every game this year.

The only team to attempt that many against Kennesaw was Clark Atlanta (I think).

Meanwhile, the Citadel ran the ball 55 times against Wofford with minimal avail (Wofford did better than Bama or anyone. Take that what you will)

That is true, but we had our newer, better running QB and other new backs against Bama, and you were the first game of the season. Not sure we had anything together yet unfortunately in week 1. But still, I think everyone knows you know how to defend the run. Also, I will be interested to see how KSU's defense deals with the Terriers. It will be an interesting match up.

How will each team use their passing game? As a requirement to catch up or seamlessly to keep the running game open?

Some tid bits stats for each team (with the caveat that Wofford had a harder SOS overall per the Sagarin and Massey ratings listed below):

Common opponents
Wofford (A) 45 - G-W 14
KSU (A) 56 - G-W 17

Wofford (H) 45 - PC 21
KSU (H) 56 - PC 0

Samford 35 - Wofford (A) 20
KSU (H) 24 - Samford 10

Rushing per game:
KSU averages 374 yards rushing a game; 61 rushes per game; yards per rush - 6.15
Wofford averages 332 yards rushing a game; 52 rushes per game; yards per rush - 6.43

Tackles for loss allowed:
KSU 3.91/game
WOfford 4.17/game

Tackles for loss:
KSU 6.9
Wofford 5.2 (this surprised me at being so low 102 in FCS)

Passing:
KSU passing 67/109, 5 Int, 12 TD, 1129 yards, 106 YPG, 17 Yards per completion
Wofford passing 104/174, 9 Int, 10 TD, 1340 yards, 112 YPG, 13 Yards per completion

3rd down efficiency O:
KSU 0.549
Wofford 0.403

4th down efficiency O (not a very telling stat without the back story of late game/desperate attempts, garbage time, etc)
KSU - 29 attempts 0.724
Wofford - 17 attempts 0.529

3rd down efficiency D:
KSU - 0.273
Wofford - 0.346

4th down efficiency D:
KSU - 0.522
Wofford - 0.520

Net Punting:
KSU - 39.95
Wofford - 38.59

Season Turnover margin:
KSU - +4
Wofford - (-1)

TOP:
KSU - 33:43
Wofford - 33.10

Sagarin
KSU - 63.16 (#8 FCS); SOS 35.99 (#219/255 Div I)
Wofford - 54.45 (#18 FCS); SOS 43.29 (#190/255 Div I)

Massey
KSU - rating 1.39 (#9 FCS); SOS rating 24.73 (#80/125 FCS)
Wofford - rating 1.20 (#16 FCS); SOS rating 32.02 (#62/125 FCS)

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 03:35 PM
What's funny is if you take out the Citadel game, Wofford is only letting up 84 yards per game on the ground.

I agree that its possible we didn't play the best possible citadel team, however we still held the Dawgs to season lows.

phoenix3
November 25th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Know very little about KSU but know quite a bit about Wofford. So based on that and studying KSU’s schedule, I give Wofford the edge. 24-21 Wofford.

Sir William
November 25th, 2018, 04:25 PM
This should be a great game, and maybe the best of the 2nd round. I think it will be a close one, and based on the stats previously noted in this thread by others, the edge would go to Kennesaw. Additionally, the two other things that stick out to me are:

1) Kennesaw has a very good QB.
2) Kennesaw is playing at home after having plenty of rest with the bye week.

That said, I believe Wofford has a very good chance to bus back to SC with a victory, and the key will be for them to play with a lot of SoCon pride, control the line of scrimmage, and force turnovers while having none themselves. Even though Kennesaw has common opponents whom they have seemingly beaten more soundly than Wofford, at the end of the day the Owls have played a creampuff schedule. To me, they are the UCF of FCS. I believe they are good, but maybe not as good as their record, ranking and seeding seem to say. They are unproven. Yeah, they beat Samford (6-5 and 4th in SoCon) and J'ville St in OT; but they complemented those two wins by playing Tenn Tech (1-10), Alcorn St, Clark Atlanta, Georgia State (2-10 in FBS), and a very weak Big South slate.

Now before any Owl fans go nuts on me, I'm not saying you're not a good team or that you don't belong in the playoffs - I believe you are and you do. What I'm saying is that if I were a Wofford Terrier, I'd show up to North Atlanta with a chip on my shoulder and a loud and clear message to deliver. If Mike Ayers was still on the sideline, I'd have full confidence that this would happen, and I'd pick Wofford by 7-10 points. Not sure about Conklin yet. Bottom line...I think this will be a close one, probably decided by two factors: 1) whoever controls the line of scrimmage, and 2) turnover margin.

I'll go with Wofford in a very close upset.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 04:39 PM
This should be a great game, and maybe the best of the 2nd round. I think it will be a close one, and based on the stats previously noted in this thread by others, the edge would go to Kennesaw. Additionally, the two other things that stick out to me are:

1) Kennesaw has a very good QB.
2) Kennesaw is playing at home after having plenty of rest with the bye week.

That said, I believe Wofford has a very good chance to bus back to SC with a victory, and the key will be for them to play with a lot of SoCon pride, control the line of scrimmage, and force turnovers while having none themselves. Even though Kennesaw has common opponents whom they have seemingly beaten more soundly than Wofford, at the end of the day the Owls have played a creampuff schedule. To me, they are the UCF of FCS. I believe they are good, but maybe not as good as their record, ranking and seeding seem to say. They are unproven. Yeah they beat Samford (6-5 and 4th in SoCon); and yeah, they beat J'ville St in OT, but the jury is out on how good JSU really is at this point. My point is they also played Tenn Tech (1-10), Alcorn St, Clark Atlanta, Georgia State (2-10 in FBS), Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian.

Now before any Owl fans go nuts on me, I'm not saying you're not a good team or that you don't belong in the playoffs - I believe you are and you do. What I'm saying is that if I were a Wofford Terrier, I'd show up to North Atlanta with a chip on my shoulder and a loud and clear message to deliver. If Mike Ayers was still on the sideline, I'd have full confidence that this would happen, and I'd pick Wofford by 7-10 points. Not sure about Conklin yet. Bottom line...I think this will be a close one, probably decided by 1) whoever controls line of scrimmage, and 2) turnover margin.

I'll go with Wofford in a very close upset.
Well we are 6-0 against the SoCon under Grass and 0-2 vs KSU.

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Well we are 6-0 against the SoCon under Grass and 0-2 vs KSU.

You played 6 SOCON games this year? Thought it was one, yesterday? Hmm. Oh, you were talking over the last few years, which means exactly what this year? Huh? Oh yeah, nada.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 05:03 PM
You played 6 SOCON games this year? Thought it was one, yesterday? Hmm. Oh, you were talking over the last few years, which means exactly what this year? Huh? Oh yeah, nada.

When KSU wins, we can revisit this post.

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 05:08 PM
When KSU wins, we can revisit this post.

Really? Have I said who will win yet? You are making assumptions not in evidence. I haven't finished my scrubbing yet. And I certainly haven't made my pick em picks yet. In my initial pencil picks, I have KSU, but by a hair. I may change though.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Really? Have I said who will win yet? You are making assumptions not in evidence. I haven't finished my scrubbing yet. And I certainly haven't made my pick em picks yet. In my initial pencil picks, I have KSU, but by a hair. I may change though.So what's your point? I wasn't even talking to you. I was adding to someone else who was using JSU as a data point. I suggested that a JSU win is equal if not better than a win over a top SoCon team. How else am I supposed to interpret you coming at me over that suggestion?

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 05:56 PM
So what's your point? I wasn't even talking to you. I was adding to someone else who was using JSU as a data point. I suggested that a JSU win is equal if not better than a win over a top SoCon team. How else am I supposed to interpret you coming at me over that suggestion?

You funny boy trying to backtrack. Didn't know one could only respond if spoken to. Maybe we should have you draft some AGS bylaws. And you did tell me, specifically, that you want revisit "my" post. Stop while you are behind. You are better than this.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 06:01 PM
You funny boy trying to backtrack. Didn't know one could only respond if spoken to. Maybe we should have you draft some AGS bylaws. And you did tell me, specifically, that you want revisit "my" post. Stop while you are behind. You are better than this.

How am I backtracking? My original post was like 6 words and half of them were numbers.

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 06:05 PM
How am I backtracking? My original post was like 6 words and half of them were numbers.

Stop.

FUBeAR
November 25th, 2018, 06:07 PM

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/873/423/d25.gif

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Stop.Why? You having trouble keeping up?

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 06:17 PM
What's going on?

Also, Wofford has some favorable playoff streaks going for them but I'm not going to mention them because I don't want to jinx it.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 06:29 PM
What's going on?

Also, Wofford has some favorable playoff streaks going for them but I'm not going to mention them because I don't want to jinx it.

Sir William had questioned the legitimacy of KSU's win over Jax State (he has since edited his post but you can see the line I'm referring to in my quote of his post). I had mentioned that historically, as well as this year, JSU has proven itself to be as good, if not if not better, than the top teams in the SoCon. I felt this was relevant information considering KSU is, ya know, playing a top SoCon team.

Anyway, ElCid was apparently triggered by my statement and I said that once KSU wins this weekend we could revisit his objection to my post because if Wofford loses and doesn't take KSU to 6OT then it's pretty easy to say JSU is, as I said, as good as the top teams in the SoCon, if not better.

That's pretty much it.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Massey is a flawed system but par the course when it comes to computer rankings.

This is the ninth team Wofford has played in the top 200. Only the fourth for Kennesaw.

Massey gives Kennesaw a 76% chance of winning. Even if you think Kennesaw should be favored that is too much.

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Sir William had questioned the legitimacy of KSU's win over Jax State (he has since edited his ponicest but you can see the line I'm referring to in my quote of his post). I had mentioned that historically, as well as this year, JSU has proven itself to be as good, if not if not better, than the top teams in the SoCon. I felt this was relevant information considering KSU is, ya know, playing a top SoCon team.

Anyway, ElCid was apparently triggered by my statement and I said that once KSU wins this weekend we could revisit his objection to my post because if Wofford loses and doesn't take KSU to 6OT then it's pretty easy to say JSU is, as I said, as good as the top teams in the SoCon, if not better.

That's pretty much it.

Nice spin. You put words in my mouth or should I embarrass you with posting a link. It is apparent you got triggered and went on a chest puffing rant. And I see you are more carefully choosing your words now like "historically" which is again, still, not very relevant to this year's worth. I was never triggered except to point out your failure in logic to think that a win over the SOCON 5 years ago has any impact on this years playoff. But you are at least trying to do better.

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Massey is a flawed system but par the course when it comes to computer rankings.

This is the ninth team Wofford has played in the top 200. Only the fourth for Kennesaw.

Massey gives Kennesaw a 76% chance of winning. Even if you think Kennesaw should be favored that is too much.

They simply look at ranking of opponents and the scores, and H/A of course. KSU ran up a couple scores. Even on weak opponents, that has an effect.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Nice spin. You put words in my mouth or should I embarrass you with posting a link. It is apparent you got triggered and went on a chest puffing rant. And I see you are more carefully choosing your words now like "historically" which is again, still, not very relevant to this year's worth. I was never triggered except to point out your failure in logic to think that a win over the SOCON 5 years ago has any impact on this years playoff. But you are at least trying to do better.

A.) It's not a spin. It's literally word for word what I've been saying the whole time.

B.) Link away. All you'll find is exactly what I've been saying.

C.) I like how you just cherry picked "historically" when the complete phrase was "historically, as well as this year" because, you know, we beat some SoCon co-champs last night.

D.) Keep digging buddy. The excersize is good for you.

Sir William
November 25th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Sir William had questioned the legitimacy of KSU's win over Jax State (he has since edited his post but you can see the line I'm referring to in my quote of his post).

I was not questioning the legitimacy of KSU's win over JSU. And my intent was not to question whether JSU was a good football team. I changed my post because I looked at it after the fact and before you posted, and knew it would be taken out of context or the wrong way. While you were posting your response to my post, I was changing my post, but was unable to repost before you replied.

That said, the point of my post was that I felt Wofford had a good chance to win and that KSU - albeit a good team - played a very soft schedule and was unproven IMO. Had nothing to do with JSU. Thought you would have realized this, or at least given the benefit of the doubt, but I guess not.

BestOfBreed
November 25th, 2018, 07:17 PM
If Nathan Walker gets 20 touches Wofford wins easy. Unfortunately, Wofford is hindered by their offensive coordinator so it's a tossup.

ElCid
November 25th, 2018, 07:18 PM
A.) It's not a spin. It's literally word for word what I've been saying the whole time.

B.) Link away. All you'll find is exactly what I've been saying.

C.) I like how you just cherry picked "historically" when the complete phrase was "historically, as well as this year" because, you know, we beat some SoCon co-champs last night.

D.) Keep digging buddy. The excersize is good for you.

I am done with you. Your original statement was foolish and wrong and I called you on it. It is still wrong and foolish regardless of anything you try to say now. Get over it. Everyone knows, except you.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:22 PM
I was not questioning the legitimacy of KSU's win over JSU. And my intent was not to question whether JSU was a good football team. I changed my post because I looked at it after the fact and before you posted, and knew it would be taken out of context or the wrong way. While you were posting your response to my post, I was changing my post, but was unable to repost before you replied.

That said, the point of my post was that I felt Wofford had a good chance to win and that KSU - albeit a good team - played a very soft schedule and was unproven IMO. Had nothing to do with JSU. Thought you would have realized this, or at least given the benefit of the doubt, but I guess not.
I do my best to read things as they are written because I expect others to read my posts how I write them as well. But I'd be a liar to say I've never made a post with wording that didn't accurately illustrate my point. I make use of the edit button a lot. I agree Wofford has a good chance to win. I personally think whatever team doesn't turn it over will win the game. But yeah, I had no quarrel with your post. I was just adding info to help add context to KSUs resume and scheduling since that's what you were talking about.

Sir William
November 25th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I can live with that. 👍

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I am done with you. Your original statement was foolish and wrong and I called you on it. It is still wrong and foolish regardless of anything you try to say now. Get over it. Everyone knows, except you.Scoreboard!

This is the latest addition to that 6-0 tidbit btw. So yeah, I'd be done too if I were you. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181126/3cbacd8b59cefea5b01ea4b957808c5a.jpg

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:26 PM
I can live with that. 
👍

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Just so ya know, Socon fans won't see your wins against Socon champs as legitimate unless they come against Wofford or Furman. 75% of the conference playoff wins come from those two teams, with half of the total wins coming from Furman.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Just so ya know, Socon fans won't see your wins against Socon champs as legitimate unless they come against Wofford or Furman. 75% of the conference playoff wins come from those two teams, with half of the total wins coming from Furman.

Well we could have beat Furman to a pulp in 2015 but they pulled a Colgate and bailed on us. I think a game with Wofford would be a fun one.

I personally don't care what SoCon fans think is "legitimate" cause the only thing that is actually legitimate is the scoreboard.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2018, 07:36 PM
If Nathan Walker gets 20 touches Wofford wins easy. Unfortunately, Wofford is hindered by their offensive coordinator so it's a tossup.

First drive of the 3rd quarter he showed his true freshman stuff, seems your OC has warmed up to him seeing he got 14 carries yesterday

dungeonjoe
November 25th, 2018, 07:38 PM
I have a feeling my trip to KSU on Friday/Saturday will be a lot like this thread. I will be rubbernecking at all of the accidents in and around Atlanta while my terrier fan relative riding shotgun keeps laser like focus on the road, the game/match-up of stats, and what we will get for supper.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I have a feeling my trip to KSU on Friday/Saturday will be a lot like this thread. I will be rubbernecking at all of the accidents in and around Atlanta while my terrier fan relative riding shotgun keeps laser like focus on the road, the game/match-up of stats, and what we will get for supper.
Waze is your friend.

dungeonjoe
November 25th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Waze is your friend.
yep.

Sir William
November 25th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Well we could have beat Furman to a pulp in 2015....

Yep, in 2015.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:46 PM
yep.
They have had construction going on I-285 on the east side of between I-20 and Spaghetti Junction. I'm not sure whether they are still messing with it but the last time few times I've been through there it's been super jacked. You'll be able to tell if they are working on it though because the traffic will back up on to 20 way before your exit so you'll be able to tell whether or not 285 is the play.

Just figured I'd give you a heads up.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Yep, in 2015.

That was then.
Well he said Furman was half of the SoCon playoff wins so I figured he was speaking in "then tense" considering Furman has a slew of playoff wins this season. Hence my reply also included "then".

dungeonjoe
November 25th, 2018, 07:54 PM
They have had construction going on I-285 on the east side of between I-20 and Spaghetti Junction. I'm not sure whether they are still messing with it but the last time few times I've been through there it's been super jacked. You'll be able to tell if they are working on it though because the traffic will back up on to 20 way before your exit so you'll be able to tell whether or not 285 is the play.

Just figured I'd give you a heads up.
Thanks! I appreciate the heads up. That is one of the reasons I am coming Friday...

Sir William
November 25th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Well he said Furman was half of the SoCon playoff wins so I figured he was speaking in "then tense" considering Furman has a slew of playoff wins this season. Hence my reply also included "then".

I know. I was agreeing with you.

dungeonjoe
November 25th, 2018, 07:57 PM
There was another SoCon win over the OVC in the playoffs on December 4, 2010. :)

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the heads up. That is one of the reasons I am coming Friday...

If you can and you're heading all the way up to Kennesaw on Friday try to get into the metro at anytime that's not between 2:30 and 7:30 in the afternoon. Later or earlier, but that's when peak rush hour is around here on Fridays. It will make your life much much easier.

dungeonjoe
November 25th, 2018, 08:02 PM
If you can and you're heading all the way up to Kennesaw on Friday try to get into the metro at anytime that's not between 2:30 and 7:30 in the afternoon. Later or earlier, but that's when peak rush hour is around here on Fridays. It will make your life much much easier.
I may take 85 from Greenville--depending on the Waze wizardry.

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I may take 85 from Greenville--depending on the Waze wizardry.
It changes by the second. I was going through ATL on Thursday and Google told me the whole city was clear, maybe three minutes later I was doing 2mph on I-75 cause someone 3 miles ahead of me decided they didn't like driving anymore. Other times it's fine. It's fun. But yeah, generally Waze is the most accurate around the metro.

gofurman
November 25th, 2018, 11:41 PM

Dude. CHILL. Furman has beaten you the last two times we played. Once in playoffs as an azz whoopin if i recall. Let's quit GUESSING what woulda happened and look at what DID happen. For now you will have to sit on two losses to Furman - a good while back .... Just chillax people.

walliver
November 26th, 2018, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with JSU. The most recent history with JSU and the SoCon has been early season games with Chattanooga, and the Mocs have a history of performing poorly in season openers, even when Huesman was at his peak.

KSU is in some ways, the new Georgia Southern, and I expect this game to play out very similarly to some of the old Wofford-GSU games - low scoring affairs with games decided by one or two big plays.

I also expect a Terrier win 17-14.

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Two things we can all agree on is that Wofford has a tougher SOS than KSU and that YT is a master of statistics. From what I've witnessed, KSU knows how to beat the snot out of weak teams, which is why I agree that a lot of the computer stats are skewed-- KSU plays a lot of weak teams. Unfortunately, Wofford is not a weak team. Wofford is a really good team that will challenge our offense. I believe we have the speed and creativeness to get our offense going. I also think defensively we will be fine.

Although the computer rankings may be skewed, I believe the three common opponents we shared this season tell us more than we think. KSU went 3-0 versus these opponents with a collective margin of victory of 109 points. Wofford (2-1) had a total margin of victory of 40 points. I assume Wofford played their second string as much as we did in these blow outs with the exception of the Samford game.

I think Wofford has a great chance to come in Saturday and upset the Owls, but it would truly be an upset. This is a game that KSU should win.

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2018, 09:25 AM
For now you will have to sit on two losses to Furman - a good while back .... Just chillax people.

Nope, you cancelled on us. Everyone knows we would have won that game and the hurricane wasn't even there yet but you cancelled anyway cause you didn't want to take a fat L. xcoffeex:D

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 10:23 AM
I think Wofford has a great chance to come in Saturday and upset the Owls, but it would truly be an upset. This is a game that KSU should win.

I think this mindset is why I like Wofford's chances in this one.

KSU hasn't done anything to warrant the degree of confidence people have in them.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Computer predictors think KSU wins by scores of 40-23, 33-24, 76% certainty, Vegas says KSU by about 10.

I'm telling you, KSU very well could win this game. But when was the last time two option teams had an over/under above 50? When was the last time Wofford let a team that ran the ball as a primary tactic score 40?

All the experts are wayyyyyy to confident in this one. In Massey's ratings, Wofford jumped 10 spots after beating Elon, even though our overall performance wasn't that impressive. Wofford is underrated going into this one

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 10:41 AM

KSU hasn't done anything to warrant the degree of confidence people have in them.

I'd imagine Samford has an opinion on which team is better. I understand they had a tough streak, but if revenging a first round playoff loss wasn't enough to get them up for a game then I don't know what could have done it. Saying that we've done nothing to warrant our confidence is a little misguided. I know that Samford is pass-first and that gives you guys trouble, but we scored more points on all three of the common defenses we faced this year and held all but GW to less points (14 -vs- 17 in the GW comparison).

I think there is a legit reason to have a high level of confidence in the Owls in comparison to Wofford. I think that in terms of the entire FCS the Owls are over-hyped but until we have a significant loss, maybe it's okay that we are over-hyped.

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Computer predictors think KSU wins by scores of 40-23, 33-24, 76% certainty, Vegas says KSU by about 10.

I'm telling you, KSU very well could win this game. But when was the last time two option teams had an over/under above 50? When was the last time Wofford let a team that ran the ball as a primary tactic score 40?

All the experts are wayyyyyy to confident in this one. In Massey's ratings, Wofford jumped 10 spots after beating Elon, even though our overall performance wasn't that impressive. Wofford is underrated going into this one

Also, YT if you are planning to come to the game feel free to PM me. I'd love to grab a beer and hang before the game. I'm planning to set up a tailgate and all are welcomed! We may be over confident but we really are nice/generous hosts!

gofurman
November 26th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Sir William had questioned the legitimacy of KSU's win over Jax State (he has since edited his post but you can see the line I'm referring to in my quote of his post). I had mentioned that historically, as well as this year, JSU has proven itself to be as good, if not if not better, than the top teams in the SoCon. I felt this was relevant information considering KSU is, ya know, playing a top SoCon team.

That's pretty much it.

JSU. You have some good stuff with merit. But “if Wofford loses and doesn't take KSU to 6OT then it's pretty easy to say JSU is, as I said, as good as the top teams in the SoCon, if not better. ” is a little loose. Not necessarily wrong. It’s Just hard to say. Might be true. Probably is. We just can’t know.

Historically JSU loses to Furman ... 05 on last play and a KILLIN in playoffs. Neither of which is all that relevant

No matter what Wofford does Vs KSU it’s not relevant to the transitive in football. I mean Furman beat Wofford by TWENTy. Wofford beat Elon by 12. Clearly Furman would kill Elon right??? Wrong. Elon crushed Furman by 38.

Transitive property’s and correlations don’t work in football. Injuries (Elon), style of play (Furman over Wofford) and many other factors matter - not just how good you are.

One BIG factor is having a week off That’s HUGE for KSU - and they earned it. Kudos to them. But it allows them to heal up. Rest and watch a lot of film on Wofford

walliver
November 26th, 2018, 11:00 AM
I'd imagine Samford has an opinion on which team is better. I understand they had a tough streak, but if revenging a first round playoff loss wasn't enough to get them up for a game then I don't know what could have done it. Saying that we've done nothing to warrant our confidence is a little misguided. I know that Samford is pass-first and that gives you guys trouble, but we scored more points on all three of the common defenses we faced this year and held all but GW to less points (14 -vs- 17 in the GW comparison).

I think there is a legit reason to have a high level of confidence in the Owls in comparison to Wofford. I think that in terms of the entire FCS the Owls are over-hyped but until we have a significant loss, maybe it's okay that we are over-hyped.

Samford was so outrageously inconsistent this year, that using them as a comparison is not useful. The Bulldogs beat Wofford, Furman, and ETSU and should have beaten Florida State, but then lost 3 WTF conference games. In fact, the teams that Samford beat are generally better than the teams that beat Samford. So we have that going for us:D

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2018, 11:07 AM
JSU. You have some good stuff with merit. But “if Wofford loses and doesn't take KSU to 6OT then it's pretty easy to say JSU is, as I said, as good as the top teams in the SoCon, if not better. ” is a little loose. Not necessarily wrong. It’s Just hard to say. Might be true. Probably is. We just can’t know.

Historically JSU loses to Furman ... 05 on last play and a KILLIN in playoffs. Neither of which is all that relevant

No matter what Wofford does Vs KSU it’s not relevant to the transitive in football. I mean Furman beat Wofford by TWENTy. Wofford beat Elon by 12. Clearly Furman would kill Elon right??? Wrong. Elon crushed Furman by 38.

Transitive property’s and correlations don’t work in football. Injuries (Elon), style of play (Furman over Wofford) and many other factors matter - not just how good you are.

One BIG factor is having a week off That’s HUGE for KSU - and they earned it. Kudos to them. But it allows them to heal up. Rest and watch a lot of film on WoffordSo if KSU beats Wofford by, say, 10 points or more and with JSUs win over ETSU on Saturday would you argue that JSU isn't at least on Par with the top of the SoCon?

That's literally my only point here.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 11:11 AM

But you won't be playing those common defenses. You're playing Wofford's defense, which is better than all of them, especially when it comes to defending the run.

Kennesaw State did better against Samford because they have a better pass defense. A better pass defense won't do much against Wofford.

Meanwhile, Gardner Webb ran for over 200 yards against you? On 7 yards per carry? You can dismiss that as an anecdote, like PC's rushing against us, but GW consistently rushed for over 4 ypc against KSU over the last 4 years. There are chinks in the KSU armor. Kennesaw does not play teams that can run the ball well and choose to do so.

Professor
interesting that everyone is giving Wofford a legit chance

Reign of Terrier
Also, YT if you are planning to come to the game feel free to PM me. I'd love to grab a beer and hang before the game. I'm planning to set up a tailgate and all are welcomed! We may be over confident but we really are nice/generous hosts!

I have no doubt about that. I am coming to the game. Not sure what my plans are yet.

gofurman
November 26th, 2018, 11:12 AM
So if KSU beats Wofford by, say, 10 points or more and with JSUs win over ETSU on Saturday would you argue that JSU isn't at least on Par with the top of the SoCon?

JSU.
Yes. I’d give you that.

I think my only hang up was like YT said. There’s a ‘Johnny come lately’ To ETSU to where even SoCon fans are really sure we buy into ETSU yet. Wouldn’t be surprised if they are middle of SoCon next year. Though I think ETSU on right track long term it appears with Randy Sanders as coach from FSU - he coached Peyton Manning and Jamies Winston etc.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 11:13 AM
So if KSU beats Wofford by, say, 10 points or more and with JSUs win over ETSU on Saturday would you argue that JSU isn't at least on Par with the top of the SoCon?

Both Jacksonville State and Kennesaw State are on par with the top of the Southern Conference. Jacksonville State isn't the team they were a decade ago and the OVC is not the conference they were 5 years ago.

Happy?

I just don't think, when we're talking about raw probability, that Kennesaw should be favored as much as they are.

KSUFAN
November 26th, 2018, 11:19 AM

I find it amuzing you think because a fan or you come on this board and say whatever they want will have any bearing on this game. I can assure you Coach Bohannon and the team isn't bought in on how great KSU is. They have done a very good job staying focused and not buying into the hype. Do both teams come in on Saturday expecting to win? I would hope so. Both teams have worked hard to get to this point and handled their business. Based on the numbers you have posted and the fact Kennesaw is at home I would think most reasonable people would have Kennesaw favored. I do agree the spread for the game is off right now but it will get a lot smaller as the game gets closer!

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Both Jacksonville State and Kennesaw State are on par with the top of the Southern Conference. Jacksonville State isn't the team they were a decade ago and the OVC is not the conference they were 5 years ago.

Happy?

I just don't think, when we're talking about raw probability, that Kennesaw should be favored as much as they are.Well KSUs only loss is a fluke FBS loss and Wofford got beat by Samford and had the terrier whupped out of them by Furman. I don't think Wofford's resume is spectacular enough to say that KSU shouldn't be favored in this one.

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Samford was so outrageously inconsistent this year, that using them as a comparison is not useful. The Bulldogs beat Wofford, Furman, and ETSU and should have beaten Florida State, but then lost 3 WTF conference games. In fact, the teams that Samford beat are generally better than the teams that beat Samford. So we have that going for us:D

Sure, SU won every game when they scored more than 30 points and loss every game they didn't, but defensively they were fairly consistent. Holding an inconsistent SU to 3 points for 58.5 minutes is still a pretty impressive outing by our defense. Inconsistent or not, no team since Louisville in 2015 has been able to do that. Stopping SU is not what I was talking about.... there is no reason to compare our defense against SU and Wofford's defense against SU. The common defenses we've played, which is about as good of a metric as there is with this much uncertainty, is the point of my post. And, although SU was inconsistent, they still are entitled to an opinion and I'd imagine they would side with the Owls.

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 11:30 AM
But you won't be playing those common defenses. You're playing Wofford's defense, which is better than all of them, especially when it comes to defending the run.

Kennesaw State did better against Samford because they have a better pass defense. A better pass defense won't do much against Wofford.

Meanwhile, Gardner Webb ran for over 200 yards against you? On 7 yards per carry? You can dismiss that as an anecdote, like PC's rushing against us, but GW consistently rushed for over 4 ypc against KSU over the last 4 years. There are chinks in the KSU armor. Kennesaw does not play teams that can run the ball well and choose to do so.

Yes, I'm aware. But the same two offenses that played those defenses are playing Saturday and it sounds like our offense is better than yours. I'm not saying it will be easy... I believe you will have as good of a rush defense as JSU, which did cause us some issues in the first half. I also believe we have one of the better defenses that you've played this year-- possibly the fastest. Considering we are playing a similar offense to what we run and had an extra week to prep for it, it's not ridiculous to think we should be favored to win this game.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Well KSUs only loss is a fluke FBS loss and Wofford got beat by Samford and had the terrier whupped out of them by Furman. I don't think Wofford's resume is spectacular enough to say that KSU shouldn't be favored in this one.

I don't disagree they should be favored. I disagree with the degree of certainty many are attributing to that certainty (and I presume you understand that as a science person). There's a difference between being 55% certain and 75% certain. The fact that many are gravitating to the latter suggests a systemic error.

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I don't disagree they should be favored. I disagree with the degree of certainty many are attributing to that certainty (and I presume you understand that as a science person). There's a difference between being 55% certain and 75% certain. The fact that many are gravitating to the latter suggests a systemic error.
Yes, but as a science person I always understand that trying to determine a "correct" curtainty factor is a waste of time. Why? It's college football.

Also, the other thing I've picked up during my time on AGS is that trying to convince people to change their minds on anything is like trying to herd cats. So the whole debate is kind of pointless.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 12:12 PM

That's literally my only point here.We don’t need to look to a game that doesn’t involve JSU to draw conclusions as to where JSU would place in the SoCon. We have better evidence than that.

Based upon JSU playing a down-to-the wire game with ETSU, a game which turned on a fumble from the “inch line,” that, legitimately, demonstrates that JSU would be, and is “at least on par with” somewhere around the 3rd to the 10th best Team (AKA “worst”) if they were in the SoCon.

2 SoCon Teams beat ETSU fairly soundly and 6 SoCon Teams lost to them, by 2 or 3 points, in games that were very similar to ETSU’s game with JSU. For example, SoCon #8 Team, WCU, went to OT with ETSU; where JSU probably would have landed if not for that ETSU fumble on the play that would have tied the game late in the 4th quarter. And, the JSU vs. ETSU game was much like ETSU’s game with SoCon #9 Team, VMI, in that the Bucs found themselves behind in the 4th quarter; but in that game, the same ETSU RB did not fumble when going in for the critical score.

So, now we know that JSU could clearly compete in the SoCon with 3-8 WCU & with 1-10 VMI. Wasn’t sure of that before, but now we KNOW.

GO COCKS! BEAT MAINE!!

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2018, 01:07 PM
We don’t need to look to a game that doesn’t involve JSU to draw conclusions as to where JSU would place in the SoCon. We have better evidence than that.

Based upon JSU playing a down-to-the wire game with ETSU, a game which turned on a fumble from the “inch line,” that, legitimately, demonstrates that JSU would be, and is “at least on par with” somewhere around the 3rd to the 10th best Team (AKA “worst”) if they were in the SoCon.

2 SoCon Teams beat ETSU fairly soundly and 6 SoCon Teams lost to them, by 2 or 3 points, in games that were very similar to ETSU’s game with JSU. For example, SoCon #8 Team, WCU, went to OT with ETSU; where JSU probably would have landed if not for that ETSU fumble on the play that would have tied the game late in the 4th quarter. And, the JSU vs. ETSU game was much like ETSU’s game with SoCon #9 Team, VMI, in that the Bucs found themselves behind in the 4th quarter; but in that game, the same ETSU RB did not fumble when going in for the critical score.

So, now we know that JSU could clearly compete in the SoCon with 3-8 WCU & with 1-10 VMI. Wasn’t sure of that before, but now we KNOW.

GO COCKS! BEAT MAINE!!

But since JSU beat ETSU and ETSU beat Furple, we can easily extrapolate that JSU would have beat Furple. I guess that means Furple isn’t one of the top two SOCON teams

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2018, 01:10 PM

AGS has had a huge crush on Kennesaw going back to last year

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2018, 01:14 PM

Pretty simple yt at the bottom of the box when you start the thread. Check the box for a poll.

Go add one now if you could please with the help of Prof.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?219024-Edit-Thread-to-Create-a-Poll&p=2718854&viewfull=1#post2718854

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2018, 01:14 PM
But since JSU beat ETSU and ETSU beat Furple, we can easily extrapolate that JSU would have beat Furple. I guess that means Furple isn’t one of the top two SOCON teamsIt's not their fault! Colgate cancelled on them.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 02:02 PM
But since JSU beat ETSU and ETSU beat Furple, we can easily extrapolate that JSU would have beat Furple. I guess that means Furple isn’t one of the top two SOCON teamsSure, they may not be. #4 Samford whipped Furman pretty good & tied for #5, Mercer, had the ball at Furman’s 38 yard line with :02 on the clock & a chance to win the game on the final play.

Like I said, the Cocks could be as high as #3 or as low as #10 in the SoCon...which probably says a whole lot more about the depth of and parity within the SoCon than it actually does about the AlabamaYardBirds.

But, it’s kinda fun to show the JaxSt piccoloist just how close his StruttinRoosters are to WCU & VMI while he’s trying to claim a much higher perch.

GO WOFFORD! Beat the owlets!!

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Poll added.

BurialGround
November 26th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Not going to make a prediction, just going to comment on some things I've seen in this thread.

First, the comments about KSU doing significantly better against common opponents because of "running up the score" made me chuckle. Show me where we ran up the score against anybody this year, I'll wait. Can you even find one blowout where we had our starters in in the 4th quarter (besides perhaps the Monmouth game because of what was at stake)? And yeah, Gardner-Webb ran all over us to the tune of 200 yards. Let's just forget that two of those runs came in the 4th quarter when we were deep in our depth chart and accounted for like 60% of that.

Not to mention the almost effortless handling of a Samford team that beat Wofford by two scores. Our pass defense did it? How about, our run defense was solid enough that we only had to rush three every play and drop everyone else back, and they still couldn't run on us.

I'm glad to see everyone thinks stopping the Citadel is a good measuring stick for stopping our offense. Keep thinking that.

Not saying we're going to win, both teams are familiar with each other's offenses, and that should even things out. Wofford is what they always seem to be. A well-coached, tough-as-nails team. But I didn't really see any gamebreakers on their team. More like, they're gonna come right at us. We like matchups where the other team comes right at us. We like it, because we feel like we can contain it. We, on the other hand, have a few guys who can take it to the house at any time..

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Not going to make a prediction, just going to comment on some things I've seen in this thread.

First, the comments about KSU doing significantly better against common opponents because of "running up the score" made me chuckle. Show me where we ran up the score against anybody this year, I'll wait. Can you even find one blowout where we had our starters in in the 4th quarter (besides perhaps the Monmouth game because of what was at stake)? And yeah, Gardner-Webb ran all over us to the tune of 200 yards. Let's just forget that two of those runs came in the 4th quarter when we were deep in our depth chart and accounted for like 60% of that.

Not to mention the almost effortless handling of a Samford team that beat Wofford by two scores. Our pass defense did it? How about, our run defense was solid enough that we only had to rush three every play and drop everyone else back, and they still couldn't run on us.

I'm glad to see everyone thinks stopping the Citadel is a good measuring stick for stopping our offense. Keep thinking that.

Not saying we're going to win, both teams are familiar with each other's offenses, and that should even things out. Wofford is what they always seem to be. A well-coached, tough-as-nails team. But I didn't really see any gamebreakers on their team. More like, they're gonna come right at us. We like matchups where the other team comes right at us. We like it, because we feel like we can contain it. We, on the other hand, have a few guys who can take it to the house at any time..

The feeling of invincibility emitting from the KSU faithful is why I continue to be optimistic. It's one thing if it's coming from NDSU. But at this level, if you have that level of confidence, your team hasn't been pushed enough.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Every team looks like an All-American everything when you're playing Alabama State, PC, Clark Atlanta, Campbell, and others. Eye test is worthless in this one.

You embarrass yourself if you think your option is head and shoulders above the citadel just because you get to run the score up on these sorry teams. Heck, the Citadel scored more and ran for more against Samford than KSU. It could very well be the case that KSU has a better offense than the Citadel (or Wofford or Furman, etc) but we really can't know because the teams they've played are really bad. Heck, ETSU scored more points in regulation, and I think they had more yardage at regulation than KSU did against JSU. And ETSU was the second worst offense in the Socon by total offense.

That's not to say that this translates to an easy Wofford win (I don't think so), but anyone can play the transitive property game to make themselves look good.

BurialGround
November 26th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Every team looks like an All-American everything when you're playing Alabama State, PC, Clark Atlanta, Campbell, and others. Eye test is worthless in this one.

The Samford fans said all of this last year.

We'll see if it works out better for you than it did for them.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Samford vs. KSU is a bad measuring stick. I’ll tell you why even though this TRUTH will be soundly pooh-poohed by the owlet faithful, et al. I guess the validation for this claim that I could provide is a post I made on the Samford board in August, speculating that Samford could very well head into their game on the road @ KSU sitting at 1-3 with their heads spinning & wondering how their “National Championship” season had disappeared so quickly. Perhaps, some of my Bullpup friends will confirm. Well, it was actually worse than that...

Samford played Kennesaw the week after they psychologically lost THREE games on the previous Saturday...all 3 at once.

They had hammered Shorter, as expected, in Week 1 and then they psychologically WON the game at Florida State. When they lost the following week to Mercer, they shrugged it off - fluke game, Bears got lucky, bad refs, we still beat FSU, etc. Still ‘undefeated’ in their minds. But when they lost to Chatt the next week, they accepted, all at once, that they HAD lost to FSU AND they HAD lost to Mercer...and realized they were ACTUALLY a 1-3 Team, whose only win was over a fair approximation of a GA 5A HS Team. It’s truly amazing they were able to recover after losing to KSU, but WCU’s D was a miracle tonic to several SoCon Teams this year.

KSU won the game with Samford fair & square, but the Team they beat that day was not the same Samford Team that beat Wofford, Furman, and ETSU. The Bullpups were suffering from acute PTSD that day, back in September.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Per Twitter, Duck Hodges is pulling for the Terriers

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Samford vs. KSU is a bad measuring stick. I’ll tell you why even though this TRUTH will be soundly pooh-poohed by the owlet faithful, et al. I guess the validation for this claim that I could provide is a post I made on the Samford board in August, speculating that Samford could very well head into their game on the road @ KSU sitting at 1-3 with their heads spinning & wondering how their “National Championship” season had disappeared so quickly. Perhaps, some of my Bullpup friends will confirm. Well, it was actually worse than that...

Samford played Kennesaw the week after they psychologically lost THREE games on the previous Saturday...all 3 at once.

They had hammered Shorter, as expected, in Week 1 and then they psychologically WON the game at Florida State. When they lost the following week to Mercer, they shrugged it off - fluke game, Bears got lucky, bad refs, we still beat FSU, etc. Still ‘undefeated’ in their minds. But when they lost to Chatt the next week, they accepted, all at once, that they HAD lost to FSU AND they HAD lost to Mercer...and realized they were ACTUALLY a 1-3 Team, whose only win was over a fair approximation of a GA 5A HS Team. It’s truly amazing they were able to recover after losing to KSU, but WCU’s D was a miracle tonic to several SoCon Teams this year.

KSU won the game with Samford fair & square, but the Team they beat that day was not the same Samford Team that beat Wofford, Furman, and ETSU. The Bullpups were suffering from acute PTSD that day, back in September.

Man... what does a team have to do to get respect from the SoCon?? You beat their defending conference champs for the second time in 12 months and it's because they had PTSD. JSU beat their current year co-champ and they "still aren't sure that this year's ETSU is 'top-SoCon' material". If KSU beats Wofford on Saturday I guess we'll later learn that it was a fluke and the outcome is meaningless because of prior playoff wins or something like that.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Man... what does a team have to do to get respect from the SoCon?? You beat their defending conference champs for the second time in 12 months and it's because they had PTSD. JSU beat their current year co-champ and they "still aren't sure that this year's ETSU is 'top-SoCon' material". If KSU beats Wofford on Saturday I guess we'll later learn that it was a fluke and the outcome is meaningless because of prior playoff wins or something like that.Samford hasn't won a socon championship since 2013. Their MO is beating the top in the conference and losing to at least one team that's a head scratcher. It's no coincidence they beat the tougher run defenses somewhat easily (Wofford, Furman, ETSU)and struggled against the better pass defenses (Chattanooga)

I am pretty sure that every socon team that beat Samford in the last 3 years lost to Wofford too.

And if KSU beats us, it's because they are the better team. They will have won me over. Until then, I'm skeptical.

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Samford hasn't won a socon championship since 2013.

And if KSU beats us, it's because they are the better team. They will have won me over. Until then, I'm skeptical.

That was my bad.... I don't know why I thought Samford won the conference last year. And I believe you. You're a logical guy that's just as much a homer as us KSU fans. I can see the KSU/Wofford match up being like the KSU/JSU match up. I hate that I respect them so much but they're a solid team and I can't help but cheer for them when we aren't involved.

BurialGround
November 26th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Yeah yeah, I know I know, they magically got better the week AFTER we beat them, we've heard all of this too.

KSUFAN
November 26th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Per Twitter, Duck Hodges is pulling for the Terriers

Guess we need to forfeit! Hodge is pulling for Wofford! That's gonna make the difference. Comical!

BurialGround
November 26th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Man... what does a team have to do to get respect from the SoCon??

I understand the history of the conference and why they have so much pride, but it's kinda crazy that they think we're overconfident and delusional just because we think our 10-1 team should win.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 04:19 PM
That was my bad.... I don't know why I thought Samford won the conference last year. And I believe you. You're a logical guy that's just as much a homer as us KSU fans. I can see the KSU/Wofford match up being like the KSU/JSU match up. I hate that I respect them so much but they're a solid team and I can't help but cheer for them when we aren't involved.Thinking Samford finished higher in the final socon standings is a common mistake.

I would be this skeptical of KSU no matter who they played. I think Wofford+ the Dakota teams + maybe UNI+ JMU are the worst matchups for the Owls. I'd be impressed with any win against any team in this field except Duquesne and SEMO.

It sucks that our brains are wired to think so categorically. A good team is going to lose Saturday, and a hyperbolic narrative will follow.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I understand the history of the conference and why they have so much pride, but it's kinda crazy that they think we're overconfident and delusional just because we think our 10-1 team should win.The Big South has 10 playoff wins as a conference. Current members have 3.

It's definitely possibly and perhaps even likely that KSU wins but if Wofford wins it's not an upset, as many have claimed.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Guess we need to forfeit! Hodge is pulling for Wofford! That's gonna make the difference. Comical!The fact that you think that was implied is more comical.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Man... what does a team have to do to get respect from the SoCon??I have had KSU ranked #2 in my AGS poll since 10/14/18. Would my displacing NDSU in favor of your owlets be the only appropriate level of “respect” by which you will abide?

YT just may be on to something with that level of arrogance permeating the KSU Program.

JSUSoutherner
November 26th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Man... what does a team have to do to get respect from the SoCon?? You beat their defending conference champs for the second time in 12 months and it's because they had PTSD. JSU beat their current year co-champ and they "still aren't sure that this year's ETSU is 'top-SoCon' material". If KSU beats Wofford on Saturday I guess we'll later learn that it was a fluke and the outcome is meaningless because of prior playoff wins or something like that.

Oh yeah. SoCon fans are easily the best at making up excuses for why they suck.

KSUFAN
November 26th, 2018, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=youngterrier;2719680]The fact that you think that was implied is more comical.

The fact that you posted it is absolutely rediculas! WTH does it matter who Hodge is rooting for?
I know he didn't tweet he thought Wofford was a better team!

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 04:41 PM
The Big South has 10 playoff wins as a conference. Current members have 3.

It's definitely possibly and perhaps even likely that KSU wins but if Wofford wins it's not an upset, as many have claimed.

In fairness I don't think KSU should be held accountable to the weakness of the Big South. In one season we increased the total conference playoff wins by 25% (I bet that hasn't been done by anyone in a while lol). I'm not accusing anyone of forgetting that we are only a 4th year program, but what we are doing is pretty remarkable. It's taken us less than 50 games as a program to be having a serious conversation about competing with a top-tier team for our second consecutive trip to the quarterfinals. All that we have accomplished is with a bunch of dudes that wanted to play football and gave a new program with no history a chance. Now we are building a brand and it shows with the increased talent we have been able to recruit.

We might be a little cocky, but since we've been a playoff contender our worse loss has been 7 points last year in the quarterfinals. We've earned the right to be proud and by beating Elon you guys have earned the right to humble us on Saturday. It should be a good game!

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 04:42 PM
KSU has beaten two teams ranked in the top 25 in the course of its existence. They made the quarterfinals once. Both of these things are good, and should be commended as the team is only 4 years old.

Meanwhile, Wofford has done more than that in the last two years, all with a harder schedule.

All I'm saying is that Kennesaw has more to prove in this game and a shorter resume of success than Wofford. That's why the confidence is a touch misplaced.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 04:43 PM
In fairness I don't think KSU should be held accountable to the weakness of the Big South. In one season we increased the total conference playoff wins by 25% (I bet that hasn't been done by anyone in a while lol). I'm not accusing anyone of forgetting that we are only a 4th year program, but what we are doing is pretty remarkable. It's taken us less than 50 games as a program to be having a serious conversation about competing with a top-tier team for our second consecutive trip to the quarterfinals. All that we have accomplished is with a bunch of dudes that wanted to play football and gave a new program with no history a chance. Now we are building a brand and it shows with the increased talent we have been able to recruit.

We might be a little cocky, but since we've been a playoff contender our worse loss has been 7 points last year in the quarterfinals. We've earned the right to be proud and by beating Elon you guys have earned the right to humble us on Saturday. It should be a good game!Agreed!

BurialGround
November 26th, 2018, 04:47 PM
The Big South has 10 playoff wins as a conference. Current members have 3.

And we have two of those, without ever even having played a playoff game with a full scholarship roster.

Why are we supposed to care about what those other programs have done?

And again, all that talk about the Big South didn't do a whole lot for Sammy last year, so we'll see if this year is different.

katss07
November 26th, 2018, 04:48 PM
After much debate I’ve gone with my heart over my head. Can’t cheer for Kennesaw so I picked Wofford. Tell your boys not to let me down, YT! xlolx It is hard to pull for a SoCon team knowing the Furman fans will have something to say about it.

All jokes aside hoping for a good game. I love watching the option and both these teams run it well so it should be fun. Definitely wouldn’t be an upset if Wofford won this game. I was pretty impressed with KSU against Monmouth though. Looking forward to this one.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 04:49 PM
The fact that you posted it is absolutely rediculas! WTH does it matter who Hodge is rooting for?
I know he didn't tweet he thought Wofford was a better team!
Humor, KSUFAN. Hang around beyond your current dozen posts & you’ll see quite a bit of that feature in these here parts. It’s funny (ha ha funny) that Hodges, with all of his accomplishments, has lost multiple games to Woffy & KSU...and that he wants Woffy to win, publicly...mildly funny, yes, but still qualifies...and worth posting, IMO.

Kick your talons off & stay a while.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 04:54 PM
After much debate I’ve gone with my heart over my head. Can’t cheer for Kennesaw so I picked Wofford. Tell your boys not to let me down, YT! xlolx It is hard to pull for a SoCon team knowing the Furman fans will have something to say about it.

All jokes aside hoping for a good game. I love watching the option and both these teams run it well so it should be fun. Definitely wouldn’t be an upset if Wofford won this game. I was pretty impressed with KSU against Monmouth though. Looking forward to this one.From what I’m seeing here in this thread, it would seem that fans of the Team that originated the concept of “Novembrists” would have a certain affinity for these recent Owl supporters and go the other way. But, we SoCon & Furman fans appreciate your support for our beloved (also hated) PorchYappers.

BTW - spot on about option football - LOVE IT!!

katss07
November 26th, 2018, 05:03 PM
From what I’m seeing here in this thread, it would seem that fans of the Team that originated the concept of “Novembrists” would have a certain affinity for these recent Owl supporters and go the other way. But, we SoCon & Furman fans appreciate your support for our beloved (also hated) PorchYappers.

BTW - spot on about option football - LOVE IT!!
Haha, well I like to think I’m not a “novembrist”! I follow my Bearkats good and bad, April or November. Are KSU fans this year’s “novembrists”? I know there was a poll last year...

KSUFAN
November 26th, 2018, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=KSUFAN;2719688]Humor, KSUFAN. Hang around beyond your current dozen posts & you’ll see quite a bit of that feature in these here parts. It’s funny (ha ha funny) that Hodges, with all of his accomplishments, has lost multiple games to Woffy & KSU...and that he wants Woffy to win, publicly...mildly funny, yes, but still qualifies...and worth posting, IMO.

I could be wrong but I don't think Hodge ever lost to Wofford! Check your facts and edit your post! if he said he thought Wofford was the better team then I would agree it would be worth posting!

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Haha, well I like to think I’m not a “novembrist”! I follow my Bearkats good and bad, April or November. Are KSU fans this year’s “novembrists”? I know there was a poll last year...

We are just a super excited relatively small fan base that is proud of what our football team has done. It's not easy being relevant in 4 years of existence in a conference as bad as the Big South. Statistically, our last legit chance of winning a game this season is Saturday. (Although I've heard SDSU can really blow it against run heavy teams.) I expect us to give Wofford a good fight and I truly believe this is a game we should win. That's not a knock on Wofford or the SoCon, it's just one super excited fan's opinion. We haven't been perfect, but when tested we've done pretty well.

Full disclosure, my fandom leads me to believe we will pull back to back HUGH upsets against SDSU and NDSU buuuuut realistically I know what's up lol

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Humor, KSUFAN. Hang around beyond your current dozen posts & you’ll see quite a bit of that feature in these here parts. It’s funny (ha ha funny) that Hodges, with all of his accomplishments, has lost multiple games to Woffy & KSU...and that he wants Woffy to win, publicly...mildly funny, yes, but still qualifies...and worth posting, IMO.

Kick your talons off & stay a while.Actually Hodges never lost to Wofford...

SU DOG
November 26th, 2018, 05:33 PM
I would have been disappointed if Duck had said he was pulling for an opponent of a SoCon Team. Relatedly, IMO, SoCon fans are way too often at each other's throat. As someone has said on here, the conference had many young players this year, and there are many teams that will only be stronger in the immediate future.

katss07
November 26th, 2018, 05:34 PM
We are just a super excited relatively small fan base that is proud of what our football team has done. It's not easy being relevant in 4 years of existence in a conference as bad as the Big South. Statistically, our last legit chance of winning a game this season is Saturday. (Although I've heard SDSU can really blow it against run heavy teams.) I expect us to give Wofford a good fight and I truly believe this is a game we should win. That's not a knock on Wofford or the SoCon, it's just one super excited fan's opinion. We haven't been perfect, but when tested we've done pretty well.

Full disclosure, my fandom leads me to believe we will pull back to back HUGH upsets against SDSU and NDSU buuuuut realistically I know what's up lol
Oh believe me, I’ve thought the same thing many times and as a fan it’s a great thing to believe (although not realistic for ethier of our teams, we’ll see with KSU maybe). Like I said, should be a fun game. And I’m not “crowning” anyone novembrists. Good luck to the Owls.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Actually Hodges never lost to Wofford...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkYeah...my bust trying to work at the same time I’m posting is a problem. I’ve got to stop working.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think Hodge ever lost to Wofford! Check your facts and edit your post! if he said he thought Wofford was the better team then I would agree it would be worth posting!yep - booted that one - still some humor to it, despite my error. By the way, his name is not Hodge.

It’s Delvano Hedgeringer.

KSUFAN
November 26th, 2018, 05:52 PM
yep - booted that one - still some humor to it, despite my error. By the way, his name is not Hodge.

It’s Delvano Hedgeringer.

Good name for him!

ElCid
November 26th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Just to be a noodge, Hodges only beat us once. Not sure why Wofford had a mental block with him.

Birdman_
November 26th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Geez this thread is frustrating. Wofford is a really good team, and has proven a whole heck of a lot more than KSU over the years. KSU is favored in this game, and rightfully so, but probably by too much - Wofford deserves a lot of respect as a program.

Does it matter how the betting lines shake out? No, not unless you gamble. At the end of the day, one team will win, and one team will lose. There probably isn't a scenario where Wofford is considered anything other than a really good team after the game considering their long track record of being a respected FCS program. KSU, on the other hand, doesn't have a long track record of anything. Getting blown out by Wofford would certainly knock them down a few rungs on the ladder (and rightfully so), and while a convincing win would help a bit, it wouldn't help as much as a win over NDSU, SDSU, or JMU.

While KSU is exciting, has had an incredible season thus far, and I have a lot of confidence in them, there should be no expectation of people who are not KSU fans to believe they are worthy of having universal respect as a top tier FCS program until they actually prove it on the field. Waffling for others to respect your team is a fool's errand now that the polls are closed and the bracket is already set. The only thing that matters at this point is winning and moving on. Fortunately for everyone, the playoffs give every team in the field an opportunity to control their own destiny. Really proud of what the team has accomplished thus far, and I am thrilled to watch an incredible match up against Wofford.

ElCid
November 26th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Geez this thread is frustrating. Wofford is a really good team, and has proven a whole heck of a lot more than KSU over the years. KSU is favored in this game, and rightfully so, but probably by too much - Wofford deserves a lot of respect as a program.

Does it matter how the betting lines shake out? No, not unless you gamble. At the end of the day, one team will win, and one team will lose. There probably isn't a scenario where Wofford is considered anything other than a really good team after the game considering their long track record of being a respected FCS program. KSU, on the other hand, doesn't have a long track record of anything. Getting blown out by Wofford would certainly knock them down a few rungs on the ladder (and rightfully so), and while a convincing win would help a bit, it wouldn't help as much as a win over NDSU, SDSU, or JMU.

While KSU is exciting, has had an incredible season thus far, and I have a lot of confidence in them, there should be no expectation of people who are not KSU fans to believe they are worthy of having universal respect as a top tier FCS program until they actually prove it on the field. Waffling for others to respect your team is a fool's errand now that the polls are closed and the bracket is already set. The only thing that matters at this point is winning and moving on. Fortunately for everyone, the playoffs give every team in the field an opportunity to control their own destiny. Really proud of what the team has accomplished thus far, and I am thrilled to watch an incredible match up against Wofford.

I don't think a blow out by either team will happen. 1, maybe a 2 score game at most. Nobody has said KSU is not good. It is just that without a good track record against good teams, it is an educated guess. Same thing applies to Colgate. I think both teams are good regardless of the weaker SOS. It will be a fun game. I love the option.

Birdman_
November 26th, 2018, 07:06 PM
I don't think a blow out by either team will happen. 1, maybe a 2 score game at most. Nobody has said KSU is not good. It is just that without a good track record against good teams, it is an educated guess. Same thing applies to Colgate. I think both teams are good regardless of the weaker SOS. It will be a fun game. I love the option.

And I wasn't accusing anyone of that. Basically KSU still has a lot left to prove, and Wofford is already established. Doesn't mean KSU isn't capable, but as cheesy as it sounds, respect is earned, not given, and it's time for them to earn it. I also don't think a blow out by either team will happen, but even if Wofford got blown out, that wouldn't / shouldn't change anyone's view of Wofford. KSU's reputation, on the other hand, is more volatile.

FUBeAR
November 26th, 2018, 07:40 PM
I haven’t seen a poll yet, but KSUFAN & BurialGround, who both joined in November 2017 & have made all or almost all of their posts in November 2018, would seem to be leading the charge to bring home this year’s title for owlet fans. I think I may have seen a couple of Mainers, though, trying to give them a challenge.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 09:05 PM
What sucks is that whoever loses this game, the narrative will be how they aren't good instead of the other team being really good.

What's interesting is that the last option team to play SDSU did really well.

clawman
November 26th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Made it 50 posts before the kids took over!

MTfan4life
November 26th, 2018, 09:20 PM
What's the over-under for total number of possessions in this game? 16?

Although, sometimes when option teams face each other, they force a lot of three and outs, because there's not a lot of surprises.

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2018, 09:36 PM
What's the over-under for total number of possessions in this game? 16?

Although, sometimes when option teams face each other, they force a lot of three and outs, because there's not a lot of surprises.I would be surprised if it's more than 21

ksu_owls
November 26th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Looks like we'll be dealing with rain here on Saturday. At least now we will have an excuse for only having 4k in attendance

Go...gate
November 26th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Like Bob Gibson and Ferguson Jenkins in an afternoon game!

Under two hours and Wofford prevails in a close one.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Looks like we'll be dealing with rain here on Saturday. At least now we will have an excuse for only having 4k in attendance
Mid 60’s & 90% chance of THUNDERSTORMS - Possible lightening delays?

Maybe KSU should move this thing to the Benz & have a double-header with the SEC Championship Game. Georgia Fans can ‘adopt’ home-State KSU & Alabama Fans can ‘adopt’ Wofford. 80k attendance for a 2nd round FCS game would be a WIN!

Kidding...but...I actually posted something a while back that I think FCS should look into pairing the semi-finals & Championship games with the FBS locations, use a smaller nearby venue, and play the day before those games. I know bizuns fans won’t like this; but I’m thinking it could enhance exposure & attendance if they seriously (not kidding) promoted the ‘adopt-an-FCS-Team’ for a day thing with fans from the FBS school’s playing in that location...give them another game to attend...and FCS fans that are hard-core Football Fans (with money) could plan to go in advance, hoping their Team gets there, but still attending the FBS game if they don’t...I know there are 1,000,000 reasons that people can find why this ‘won’t work,’ but it might be pretty darn interesting to figure out solutions to some of those and give it a trial 1 year.

Just a thought...also, with this forecast, I’ve decided that I’ll be supporting the SoCon from my man-cave north of ATL instead of attending. Disappointing, as I do want to take in a game at KSU’s women’s soccer stadium someday...and I was hoping to tag up & Tailgate with YT & DJ...and all of the other Woffy peeps that love FUBeAR! Oh, well...guess I’ll have to meet them on the Verandah in Gibbs some other time.

dungeonjoe
November 27th, 2018, 07:32 AM

the small factual error does not detract from the wisdom of the post... can't give you any rep points yet, FUB.

dungeonjoe
November 27th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Mid 60’s & 90% chance of THUNDERSTORMS - Possible lightening delays?

Maybe KSU should move this thing to the Benz & have a double-header with the SEC Championship Game. Georgia Fans can ‘adopt’ home-State KSU & Alabama Fans can ‘adopt’ Wofford. 80k attendance for a 2nd round FCS game would be a WIN!

Kidding...but...I actually posted something a while back that I think FCS should look into pairing the semi-finals & Championship games with the FBS locations, use a smaller nearby venue, and play the day before those games. I know bizuns fans won’t like this; but I’m thinking it could enhance exposure & attendance if they seriously (not kidding) promoted the ‘adopt-an-FCS-Team’ for a day thing with fans from the FBS school’s playing in that location...give them another game to attend...and FCS fans that are hard-core Football Fans (with money) could plan to go in advance, hoping their Team gets there, but still attending the FBS game if they don’t...I know there are 1,000,000 reasons that people can find why this ‘won’t work,’ but it might be pretty darn interesting to figure out solutions to some of those and give it a trial 1 year.

Just a thought...also, with this forecast, I’ve decided that I’ll be supporting the SoCon from my man-cave north of ATL instead of attending. Disappointing, as I do want to take in a game at KSU’s women’s soccer stadium someday...and I was hoping to tag up & Tailgate with YT & DJ...and all of the other Woffy peeps that love FUBeAR! Oh, well...guess I’ll have to meet them on the Verandah in Gibbs some other time.
YT and I don't make good enough mint julips to make it to the Verandah...

walliver
November 27th, 2018, 08:14 AM
I haven’t seen a poll yet, but KSUFAN & BurialGround, who both joined in November 2017 & have made all or almost all of their posts in November 2018, would seem to be leading the charge to bring home this year’s title for owlet fans. I think I may have seen a couple of Mainers, though, trying to give them a challenge.

Some of the Mainers seem to be "decadists" - they were active 10 years ago and have now risen from the dead!

A neat feature to have at AGS, although I suspect it is way too much work, would be a posting histogram for each user. I make an effort to stay around year-round, but to be honest once Wofford's season is over, I tend to do more lurking than posting. It would be interesting to see the posting patterns of people I recognize.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2018, 08:27 AM
One forecast service says thunderstorms, the other says scattered showers. These things get more accurate closer to the date, but the probability of rain has increased since yesterday.

No worries. I will pack a poncho. Hoping the terriers follow the basketball team's lead with a butt kicking and #notanupset (I don't judge the former as likely but one can only hope)

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Some of the Mainers seem to be "decadists" - they were active 10 years ago and have now risen from the dead!

A neat feature to have at AGS, although I suspect it is way too much work, would be a posting histogram for each user. I make an effort to stay around year-round, but to be honest once Wofford's season is over, I tend to do more lurking than posting. It would be interesting to see the posting patterns of people I recognize.
Yep, that would be cool - I’m thinking about asking Ursus, in the off-season, if he can merge my joined-2005 FUFU5454 profile with my joined-2013 FUBeAR profile so I don’t look like such a newbie here. Hmmmm....wondering if he can dredge up my profile from 1977, when I started following FCS-level Football? Probably not.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 08:33 AM
I should be at this game. Work schedule pending.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I should be at this game. Work schedule pending.
All flights to Orono canceled due to glacial shifting?

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 08:43 AM
All flights to Orono canceled due to glacial shifting?

I was never planning on going to Maine. I won't go to Ogden or Cheney either. I will be in Frisco if we get that far.

My brother goes to Kennesaw and I only live an hour away so I should be there as long as I don't have to work.

Sir William
November 27th, 2018, 08:50 AM
I will be in Frisco if we get that far.

So, in other words, you’ll be watching from the heated comfort of your home with the refrigerator close by, just like the rest of us on this thread. 😉

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 08:54 AM
So, in other words, you’ll be watching from the heated comfort of your home with the refrigerator close by, just like the rest of us on this thread. 
Depends. If beat Maine and SEMO somehow beats Weber we are automatically in the Semis because we. will. ****. SEMO's. ****. Then we owe EWU some revenge.

walliver
November 27th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Yep, that would be cool - I’m thinking about asking Ursus, in the off-season, if he can merge my joined-2005 FUFU5454 profile with my joined-2013 FUBeAR profile so I don’t look like such a newbie here. Hmmmm....wondering if he can dredge up my profile from 1977, when I started following FCS-level Football? Probably not.

Although my "join date" is 2003, that corresponds to the start-up date for AGS. I also was a participant in the pre-AGS board, although I am old and gray and can't remember the name of that board. It was heavily Montana-based with a lot of Georgia Southern fans taunting App State fans for having never won a National Championship. At that time, VMI, Chattanooga, and Western were consistently bad. Wofford wasn't taken seriously, even after beating GSU and ASU on the road in 2002. Mercer was football-less. And Kennesaw State was being evaluated as a basketball member, despite never having been particularly good at basketball - the SoCon's failed plan to expand basketball with CofC and UNCG added to Davidson was in full swing, and Kennesaw was seen as a proxy for the Atlanta market.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 09:01 AM
we are automatically in the Semis because we. will. ****. SEMO's. ****.

Weren’t you recently trying to draw conclusions about how good Team A is based on Team B beating Team C by x number of points?

What does this outcome tell you about Team A (call them JSU) vs. Team B (call them SEMO)? HINT: x=23

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

JSU

SEMO

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Weren’t you recently trying to draw conclusions about how good Team A is based on Team B beating Team C by x number of points?

What does this outcome tell you about Team A (call them JSU) vs. Team B (call them SEMO)?

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

JSU

SEMO

It means we had 5 turnovers.

FCSfan
November 27th, 2018, 09:03 AM

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Best post I've read thus far.
Throw stats and common opponents out the window for this one.
Both teams will have a great scheme to stop the other and both offenses will have unseen gems to install this week.
KSU has been more consistent and deserves to be favored but Coach Bohannon is too wise to take Wofford lightly. He has known Wofford football for decades.
Wofford tends to be less consistent in dominating opponents and isn't flashy but you can bet on them being prepared every week.
The thing I look most forward to this Saturday is a slugfest in the trenches and a few big plays at key points.
Go FCS football!

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 09:20 AM
It means we had 5 turnovers.So, turnovers should be overlooked when evaluating Teams? Then, how ‘bout we overlook this one and go ahead & give ETSU the TD+XP. Tie game with 2:38 to play.

4th Quarter
ETSU AT 04:22

1st and 0 at JSU04
Quay Holmes rush for 3 yards to the JSU1, fumble forced by WOODARD,Zack, fumble by Quay Holmes recovered by JSU THREAT,Tre' at JSU0, touchback

Drive Summary: 6 Plays, 54 Yards, 1:44 Elapsed
ETSU
JSU

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 09:23 AM
So, turnovers should be overlooked when evaluating Teams? Then, how ‘bout we overlook this one and go ahead & give ETSU the TD+XP. Tie game with 2:38 to play.

4th Quarter

1st and 0 at JSU04
Quay Holmes rush for 3 yards to the JSU1, fumble forced by WOODARD,Zack, fumble by Quay Holmes recovered by JSU THREAT,Tre' at JSU0, touchback

ETSU
JSU

I'm sure ETSU will give us a good fight when we see them again later in the playoffs.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 09:28 AM
I'm sure ETSU will give us a good fight when we see them again later in the playoffs.
Yes...it will be just as good of a fight as JSU gave SEMO earlier this year.

BTW ... GO COCKS! Beat Maine!!

ElCid
November 27th, 2018, 09:35 AM
So, turnovers should be overlooked when evaluating Teams? Then, how ‘bout we overlook this one and go ahead & give ETSU the TD+XP. Tie game with 2:38 to play.

4th Quarter

1st and 0 at JSU04

ETSU
JSU

I thought they we're part of the game as well. Sure you can turn, turnovers around, and they are not necessarily predictive. Teams will do what teams do. Turnovers are a wildcard and will rear their ugly head more or less based on where a team's head is at. Sloppiness or recklessness in execution is always a worry. But still, all part of the game in the end.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2018, 10:09 AM
I should be at this game. Work schedule pending.Shoot me a DM and be sure to bring a poncho

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Also SEMO has an ungodly ability to force turnovers

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 11:38 AM
I thought they we're part of the game as well. Sure you can turn, turnovers around, and they are not necessarily predictive. Teams will do what teams do. Turnovers are a wildcard and will rear their ugly head more or less based on where a team's head is at. Sloppiness or recklessness in execution is always a worry. But still, all part of the game in the end.100%

The thing is, I'm not using the turnovers as the excuse of why we lost. They played a part, yes, but I think we lose even without the turnovers (though I doubt it's a total blowout). They played better than us that day. I haven't whined about it.

By the same measure, ETSU lost. Is what it is. Our player ripped the ball out of their players hands. The runner wasn't down. He wasn't across the goal line. It was clean. That's football. Heck, both teams turned it over the same amount anyway.

That said....

I'd be willing to bet a Benjamin that Coach Tuke feels better about his chances with Weber State than a potential JSU rematch in our house.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Shoot me a DM and be sure to bring a poncho

xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Wrt to turnovers: I view them like hitting in baseball. They are kind of random, but the best at forcing them have some sort of skill, even if it's just luck.

So, in absolute sense, it's dumb to predict team x will get y amount of turnovers going into a game just like it's dumb to predict hitter z will hit a home run at the plate. It's very likely to not happen. You may be able to say a team or player will likely perform better at this achievement than another, but banking on a certain outcome is not smart.

In that way, I think you have to say SEMO is a good team. ETSU was similarly good.

What I find weird about Wofford is that we maintain decent statistics on defense without having outstanding "one play" stats like sacks and turnovers. Honestly, I think it's the difference between us having a great and elite defense (all of which derives from our inability to get pressure with just rushing 3, but I digress).

Anyway, the difference between a good and elite team is those "one play" statistics (third down conversions, turnovers, sacks, etc). I think the difference between Wofford and Furman and ETSU is that we were probably better at the non "one play" statistics while ETSU and Furman were a little less solid in the overall statistics and whipped our fannies in the one plays.

Similarly, I think Samford was probably the worst of all of these teams with the one play statistics (look at their TO margin), but like Wofford was very solid on the baseline stats. It's probably why they were inconsistent.

When I look at KSU, it's hard to evaluate them because I'm not as familiar with those statistics but also because their opponents were just terrible at those one play stats. I have no idea about JSU either, but for the nth time the big south was just not great.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Wrt to turnovers: I view them like hitting in baseball. They are kind of random, but the best at forcing them have some sort of skill, even if it's just luck.

So, in absolute sense, it's dumb to predict team x will get y amount of turnovers going into a game just like it's dumb to predict hitter z will hit a home run at the plate. It's very likely to not happen. You may be able to say a team or player will likely perform better at this achievement than another, but banking on a certain outcome is not smart.

In that way, I think you have to say SEMO is a good team. ETSU was similarly good.

What I find weird about Wofford is that we maintain decent statistics on defense without having outstanding "one play" stats like sacks and turnovers. Honestly, I think it's the difference between us having a great and elite defense (all of which derives from our inability to get pressure with just rushing 3, but I digress).

Anyway, the difference between a good and elite team is those "one play" statistics (third down conversions, turnovers, sacks, etc). I think the difference between Wofford and Furman and ETSU is that we were probably better at the non "one play" statistics while ETSU and Furman were a little less solid in the overall statistics and whipped our fannies in the one plays.

Similarly, I think Samford was probably the worst of all of these teams with the one play statistics (look at their TO margin), but like Wofford was very solid on the baseline stats. It's probably why they were inconsistent.

When I look at KSU, it's hard to evaluate them because I'm not as familiar with those statistics but also because their opponents were just terrible at those one play stats. I have no idea about JSU either, but for the nth time the big south was just not great.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TapatalkWatch out for Plank. He's a nasty one.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 12:11 PM
100%

The thing is, I'm not using the turnovers as the excuse of why we lost. They played a part, yes, but I think we lose even without the turnovers (though I doubt it's a total blowout). They played better than us that day. I haven't whined about it.

By the same measure, ETSU lost. Is what it is. Our player ripped the ball out of their players hands. The runner wasn't down. He wasn't across the goal line. It was clean. That's football. Heck, both teams turned it over the same amount anyway.

That said....

I'd be willing to bet a Benjamin that Coach Tuke feels better about his chances with Weber State than a potential JSU rematch in our house.
You seem to have variable definitions of the words “excuse” and “whine.” It appears that if OTHER PEOPLE are discussing reasons for negative outcomes for their Teams, those are “excuses” and the act of doing so is “whining.” Yet, when YOU engage in exactly the same activity, you affirmatively avow that you are NOT making excuses nor whining.

Then, 3 lines (on my screen) to ‘argue’ that the ETSU fumble call was correct. Has anyone claimed that it wasn’t? It was the right call...dammit.

Yes...ETSU lost that game, primarily because of that fumble. Could have gone either way, if he hadn’t fumbled, but we’ll never know because he did. That is a REASON, not an “excuse” and calling it out is ANALYSIS, not “whining.”

And, JSU may have lost to SEMO primarily because of those 5 turnovers or because they had injured OLmen or their Coach blew every 3rd down call or the Refs were obviously running a Special on Home Cooking. I don’t know. I didn’t see the game. But discussing those things is not “whining” about them and identifying them is not making “excuses.” Those are REASONS & discussing them is ANALYSIS...regardless of the person providing the reasons and analysis.

BTW - If JaxSt beats Maine & SEMO beats Weber, do you KNOW that the game will be in “your house?” Maybe SEMO went ALL IN and has outbid the Cocks for a Round 3 game.

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Watch out for Plank. He's a nasty one.

Plank told me the bye week did him good and he was ready for Saturday

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Yes...ETSU lost that game, primarily because of that fumble. Could have gone either way, if he hadn’t fumbled, but we’ll never know because he did. That is a REASON.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

ETSU didn't lose just because of that turnover and I think Coach Sanders would tell you the same thing.

That fumble didn't let JSU score 24 unanswered points. That fumble wouldn't have made a bit of difference if we didn't completely shut them down in the second half.

And yes, I'm pretty confident we bid more than any other school on our side of the bracket except for maybe UNI cause Clenz tells me they're crazy. We had a bad crowd (by our standards) on Saturday and that crowd was still bigger than SEMOs stadium.

Plank told me the bye week did him good and he was ready for Saturday

Tell him I hope someone feeds him to a wood chipper before we play you guys again.

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 12:32 PM
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

ETSU didn't lose just because of that turnover and I think Coach Sanders would tell you the same thing.

That fumble didn't let JSU score 28 unanswered points. That fumble wouldn't have made a bit of difference if we didn't completely shut them down in the second half.Argghh...

1) True or False? If JaxSt still scores 28 (edited to 24, I guess) unanswered points AND JAXSt still “completely shuts them [ETSU] down in the second half” AND that ETSU fumble doesn’t happen (he landed in the end zone, btw, but the ball was out before he did), does ETSU’s Kicker (who was 33-33 on PAT’s in 2018), far more likely than not, make the XP to tie the game.

2) If 1 is TRUE (it is), and the game is tied with 2:38 remaining to play, is it True or False that either Team could have won the game?

3) If 1 is True and 2 is True (they are), then is it True or False that the ETSU Fumble primarily determined the ultimate outcome of that game in Jaxst’s favor?

HINT: 3 is True also.

Certainly, every other play in that game had some effect on its outcome. Anyone would be foolish to think otherwise, but, as the game played out, the PRIMARY determinant of the final outcome was that Fumble.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Argghh...

1) True or False? If JaxSt still scores 28 (edited to 24, I guess) unanswered points AND JAXSt still “completely shuts them [ETSU] down in the second half” AND that ETSU fumble doesn’t happen (he landed in the end zone, btw, but the ball was out before he did), does ETSU’s Kicker (who was 33-33 on PAT’s in 2018), far more likely than not, make the XP to tie the game.

2) If 1 is TRUE (it is), and the game is tied with 2:38 remaining to play, is it True or False that either Team could have won the game?

3) If 1 is True and 2 is True (they are), then is it True or False that the ETSU Fumble primarily determined the ultimate outcome of that game in Jaxst’s favor?

Certainly, every other play in that game had some effect on its outcome. Anyone would be foolish to think otherwise, but, as the game played out, the PRIMARY determinant of the final outcome was that Fumble.

If ifs and buts were candies and field goals then I'm sure ETSU and Furman would both be playing this weekend.

ksu_owls
November 27th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Argghh...

Trust us at KSU, It's a lot easier if they just say the player was down and that there isn't enough video evidence to overturn the call on the field which allows your team to tie the game. I mean.... IF the ref had called a fumble on Burks who would have ever guessed that IF we would have scored we would have went into 5OT to determine the winner. We may have missed out on a 10+OT game between ETSU and JSU due to that fumble... or maybe ETSU still would have lost in regulation?

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Trust us at KSU, It's a lot easier if they just say the player was down and that there isn't enough video evidence to overturn the call on the field which allows your team to tie the game. I mean.... IF the ref had called a fumble on Burks who would have ever guessed that IF we would have scored we would have went into 5OT to determine the winner. We may have missed out on a 10+OT game between ETSU and JSU due to that fumble... or maybe ETSU still would have lost in regulation?

He wasn't down and we got ****edddddddddddd :D

FUBeAR
November 27th, 2018, 01:10 PM
If ifs and buts were candies and field goals then I'm sure ETSU and Furman would both be playing this weekend.Go FU!

...same ish as your variable definitions depending upon your perspective.

That response doesn’t even remotely relate to my position nor the point of the discussion.

Go blow something.

KSUFAN
November 27th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Kennesaw Press Conference.

http://youtu.be/TCsrq-eMdlk

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Weird that this thread doesn't have as much interest as other threads. I chalk it up to minimal social media presence by both teams.

CockyGeek
November 28th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I'm thinking this one is a toss up. One score difference either way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Also, a couple Wofford alums run a college football-centered website and I submitted a preview for this one. I'll post it here when it's up. I'm semi-doxing myself, don't get too excited.

ksu_owls
November 28th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Weird that this thread doesn't have as much interest as other threads. I chalk it up to minimal social media presence by both teams.

I think we all shot our load early. We've already went through the stats/opinions and have, for the most part, avoided random tangents.

Birdman_
November 28th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Yeah there's nothing really left to say. Ready for the game.

BisonBacker
November 28th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I'd love to see Kennesaw win this and the next week to get to Fargo.

HootyHoo
November 28th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Do people really think this is going to be close? Kennesaw State is the far superior team. Wofford runs the gun-option. No self respecting triple option team would run the shotgun triple option. My favorite quote from former coach Lou Cella says it best "The Shotgun Triple option is pure communism." Chandler Burks is the best player the Terriers have seen all season. He's going to have 3 tuddies in the first half. The Owls will cruise into the Quarterfinals, 34-12.

BisonBacker
November 28th, 2018, 12:02 PM
So if both Kennesaw and SDSU win does Kennesaw outbid SDSU for home field? Its not like SDSU is going to fill the stands.Theyd get what 7-10k. Without bothering to look what is the capacity of the Kennesaw venue?

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I will say this about Burks: 29 rushing touchdowns is frickin crazy

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 12:05 PM
So if both Kennesaw and SDSU win does Kennesaw outbid SDSU for home field? Its not like SDSU is going to fill the stands.Theyd get what 7-10k. Without bothering to look what is the capacity of the Kennesaw venue?

They are seeded?

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Do people really think this is going to be close? Kennesaw State is the far superior team. Wofford runs the gun-option. No self respecting triple option team would run the shotgun triple option. My favorite quote from former coach Lou Cella says it best "The Shotgun Triple option is pure communism." Chandler Burks is the best player the Terriers have seen all season. He's going to have 3 tuddies in the first half. The Owls will cruise into the Quarterfinals, 34-12.

oh look a Decemberist. Impressive.

Again, the feeling of invincibility KSU has is not an advantage.

And I'm sorry but Tyrie Adams is a better QB than Burks.

- - - Updated - - -

They are seeded?

KSU is seeded higher and will have the home game, I think.

HootyHoo
November 28th, 2018, 12:17 PM

There are two teams in the playoffs that rank in the top 10 in both Offense and Defense: North Dakota State and Kennesaw State. Wofford doesn't have the quarterback to score on the Owl defense.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 12:30 PM

And I'm sorry but Tyrie Adams is a better QB than Burks.

- - - Updated - - -

KSU is seeded higher and will have the home game, I think.Yes, that's how it works. My question mark was because I'm not sure what he's talking about.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 12:35 PM
There are two teams in the playoffs that rank in the top 10 in both Offense and Defense: North Dakota State and Kennesaw State. Wofford doesn't have the quarterback to score on the Owl defense.

Buddy, if you don't rack up top 10 stats against Alabama State, Clark Atlanta, PC, Campbell, Monmouth, Tennessee Tech, Gardner Webb, and Charleston Southern, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

The entire playoff field, except maybe Duquesne would do the same.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Wofford doesn't have the quarterback to score on the Owl defense.Ooooohh...calling for the SHUTOUT, huh?

https://i.imgur.com/MQUSuzc.gif

Might happen. The last time Wofford failed to score was vs. a Big South Team...5 years ago.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 12:39 PM
We've..., for the most part, avoided random tangents.This is completely unacceptable behavior. I WILL be speaking to Management about this TOS violation!

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Since it's a given among regular posters that KSU's opponents were weak, let's do an overview of how weak they are:
Clark Atlanta: not division 1
Alabama State: I didn't know they existed until 2 weeks ago
PC: Didn't beat a division one opponent this year; for cross reference, Wofford took out our starters in the second quarter, turned the ball over 3 times and still scored 45.
Gardner Webb: hasn't beaten an OOC D1 team since September 2016; the only D1 wins they have in the last 2 years are against Campbell and PC
Campbell: not a full scholarship team
Monmouth: paper tiger. Have they beaten a team not in the Patriot/NEC/pioneer/Big South? Have they lost a game by less than 30 to other teams?
Charleston Southern: couldn't score a touchdown on Savannah freakin State. Wouldn't be surprised if the Citadel throttled them worse than Kennesaw did
Tennessee Tech: finished 1-10 in the OVC.

If you don't look like the Oklahoma sooners against that schedule, you have problems.

Much credit for beating JSU and Samford but KSU stats are very human in those games.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooooohh...calling for the SHUTOUT, huh?

https://i.imgur.com/MQUSuzc.gif

Might happen. The last time Wofford failed to score was vs. a Big South Team...5 years ago.

Also in the rain

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I'm beating this like a dead horse because it's actually amazing how bad the Big South is on offense (and overall) this year. Like I get a weird sense of schadenfreude totally unrelated to the game this week.

Charleston Southern was never an offensive powerhouse. Even with Chadwell at the helm, they were probably only good enough for 24-40 points or so on a good day. This year, they average 16 points per game against D1 competition and their schedule is very very weak.

Gardner Webb is a similar story, averaging about 17 points a game or so, but against a much tougher schedule. Most of their points came against 3 Big South opponents (literally 2/3 of their points).

PC averaged about 10 points (scoring about 90 points) against division 1 opponents. Amazingly, 21 of those points came against Wofford. 7 in garbage time, 7 off a turnover at the 20.

Campbell had 131 points in ~7 games against FCS opponents, but 83 points came against Wagner and PC.

The only team that really had an offense in the big south was Monmouth, but even then they played a very weak schedule.

Again, we know KSU is a good team because they beat Jacksonville State and Samford but the Big South was a train wreck this year. Even if you take out Kennesaw State against these teams, they did really really bad.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 01:05 PM
This just in: This could be Bohannon's last game as an Owl.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I'm beating this like a dead horse because it's actually amazing how bad the Big South is on offense (and overall) this year. Like I get a weird sense of schadenfreude totally unrelated to the game this week.

Charleston Southern was never an offensive powerhouse. Even with Chadwell at the helm, they were probably only good enough for 24-40 points or so on a good day. This year, they average 16 points per game against D1 competition and their schedule is very very weak.

Gardner Webb is a similar story, averaging about 17 points a game or so, but against a much tougher schedule. Most of their points came against 3 Big South opponents (literally 2/3 of their points).

PC averaged about 10 points against division 1 opponents. Amazingly, 21 of those points came against Wofford. 7 in garbage time, 7 off a turnover at the 20.

Campbell had 131 points in ~7 games against FCS opponents, but 83 points came against Wagner and PC.

The only team that really had an offense in the big south was Monmouth, but even then they played a very weak schedule.

Again, we know KSU is a good team because they beat Jacksonville State and Samford but the Big South was a train wreck this year. Even if you take out Kennesaw State against these teams, they did really really bad.Dang...you ruined my counterpoint with your last line...so, I’ll pivot mid-post.

PC 2017 may have been the worst College Offense I have ever seen. Alabama’s Defense scored more TD’s than PC’s O did that year...and since all of their decent players bolted as soon as they announced they were going non-schollie, there is not much chance they were any better this year. I would imagine quite a bit worse, but I didn’t see them play this year, so I can’t confirm.

I compiled some G-W stats at one point this year, to demonstrate to my Cantamount friends just how ridiculously awful their 1st 3 opponents were (1 of which was G-W), but I don’t remember them...just remember they were hideously awful. Surprised the heck out of me when they beat Campbell pretty good. I bet there was some anomaly present that day.

And...are you sure about the amount of credit that should be derived from beating JaxSt & Samford? I mean, we saw the Cocks go down-to-the-wire with 1 of the 7 best Teams in the SoCon...a Team that Wofford walloped...and we saw them play a very similar game against that Top 7 SoCon Team to the games that SoCon stragglers, VMI & WCU, played against them...and we know where Samford was mentally during their game with the owlets...not to mention the decimation they had already experienced in their Secondary. Might need to mull those ‘credits’ over a bit more.

2nd Pivot - Just heard Paul Johnson is immediately retiring from GT - Coach Bohannon gonna make the jump & continue running the TO on The Flats? Wonder if he’ll announce and leave before Saturday?

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:11 PM
This just in: This could be Bohannon's last game as an Owl.

wherefor to?

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Dang...you ruined my counterpoint with your last line...so, I’ll pivot mid-post.

PC 2017 may have been the worst College Offense I have ever seen. Alabama’s Defense scored more TD’s than PC’s O did that year...and since all of their decent players bolted as soon as they announced they were going non-schollie, there is not much chance they were any better this year. I would imagine quite a bit worse, but I didn’t see them play this year, so I can’t confirm.

I compiled some G-W stats at one point this year, to demonstrate to my Cantamount friends just how ridiculously awful their 1st 3 opponents were (1 of which was G-W), but I don’t remember them...just remember they were hideously awful. Surprised the heck out of me when they beat Campbell pretty good. I bet there was some anomaly present that day.

And...are you sure about the amount of credit that should be derived from beating JaxSt & Samford? I mean, we saw the Cocks go down-to-the-wire with 1 of the 7 best Teams in the SoCon...a Team that Wofford walloped...and we saw them play a very similar game against that Top 7 SoCon Team to the games that SoCon stragglers, VMI & WCU, played against them...and we know where Samford was mentally during their game with the owlets...not to mention the decimation they had already experienced in their Secondary. Might need to mull those ‘credits’ over a bit more.

2nd Pivot - Just heard Paul Johnson is immediately retiring from GT - Coach Bohannon gonna make the jump & continue running the TO on the flats? Wonder if he’ll announce and leave before Saturday?

The way I see it, KSU and JSU are not a step above or below the top of the Socon. Football is a game of matchups. Woffords matchups with ETSU put them in a position to control the game, but JSU's did not. KSU's matchups with Samford allowed them to control the game, but Wofford's did not.

But those matchups don't translate to a win for anyone.

As I said, I'm confident about this one. I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome though. They could blow us out, I just don't think it's likely. The more I look at the stats, the more I just do not see how we can objectively look at the body of work KSU has put together and think they should be favored by more than a score or so.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Also since Jacksonville State seems to keep popping up in this thread, I will say this: I don't think Wofford would beat Jacksonville State. We don't match up well with them. It would be a good game, but that offense is a bit much.

ksu_owls
November 28th, 2018, 01:18 PM
If GT sticks with the TO then they are dumb. The TO literally ruined their football program. It doesn't belong in a Power 5 conference. If KSU is serious about going FBS we should spend a few years transitioning to something besides TO.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:22 PM
If GT sticks with the TO then they are dumb. The TO literally ruined their football program. It doesn't belong in a Power 5 conference. If KSU is serious about going FBS we should spend a few years transitioning to something besides TO.

I'm generally option skeptical, but in Georgia Tech's case, Paul Johnson actually had a higher win percentage than any coach in Georgia Tech's history, if I'm not mistaken. The option (IMO) is not an offense to win a championship with in 2018 because of it's limitations on third and long (which is why Wofford has slightly transitioned away from it). But it's definitely a good offense for a team that has recruiting problems.

Also, Bohannan isn't listed among likely replacements: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25400591/paul-johnson-retire-coach-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Seems I saw GT playing in the Orange Bowl & finishing darn near the top 5 in the country not too many years ago.

If you’re Alabama, that’s a ruined Football program. If you’re GT, you may never see that kind of success again, whether you’re running the Air Raid or playing All-11 rules. If Tech was smart, they’d snap up Coach Bohannon today and continue to build their brand. From what I’ve seen, Coach Bohannon would do a much better job of that than Coach Johnson ever did.

But, you are right...they won’t do that. They’ll be running the NCAA-required Vanilla Offense that everyone else uses and making the ‘don’t have the right type of Players’ excuse while they go 3-9 / 4-8 for 5 years....then fire that Coach and hire another one just like him.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Seems I saw GT playing in the Orange Bowl & finishing darn near the top 5 in the country not to many years ago.

If you’re Alabama, that’s a ruined Football program. If you’re GT, you may never see that kind of success again, whether you’re running the Air Raid or playing All-11 rules. If Tech was smart, they’d snap up Coach Bohannon today and continue to build their brand. From what I’ve seen, Coach Bohannon would do a much better job of that than Coach Johnson ever did.

Monken looks like a possible replacement. IMO it would be a better one.

And Army would take Bohannan

....or Conklin

(Conklin has been a P5 coordinator, I only see him leaving for a head coaching gig. A service academy/maybe Georgia Southern would probably be the most likely to take him as G5 programs would probably opt for a coordinator over some random head coach from a small private school that runs a weird offense)

KSUFAN
November 28th, 2018, 01:28 PM

PC averaged about 10 points (scoring about 90 points) against division 1 opponents. Amazingly, 21 of those points came against Wofford. 7 in garbage time, 7 off a turnover at the 20.

Again, we know KSU is a good team because they beat Jacksonville State and Samford but the Big South was a train wreck this year. Even if you take out Kennesaw State against these teams, they did really really bad.

You are beating a dead horse! We know Wofford is a good team. KSU is a good team and managed to make every bad team they played look really bad. Not many games this year did the 1's play in the third qtr much less the 4th. As expected the line on this game continues to get closer and I expect the game to be close. Nothing but respect for Wofford and their program!

ksu_owls
November 28th, 2018, 01:32 PM

HootyHoo.... I love you as a fellow Owl but the Big South is trash and we need to prove who we are in the playoffs. We are young and haven't faced many great teams. Let's see what we can do on Saturday and we'll take it one game at a time.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:35 PM
You are beating a dead horse! We know Wofford is a good team. KSU is a good team and managed to make every bad team they played look really bad. Not many games this year did the 1's play in the third qtr much less the 4th. As expected the line on this game continues to get closer and I expect the game to be close. Nothing but respect for Wofford and their program!

Oh yeah, the above post had nothing to do with this game this weekend. In my eyes, KSU is a Socon team in terms of caliber and I view playing them like playing a good socon team midseason in terms of the information we have available.

I just think we should all marvel on the beautiful trainwreck that is the Big South. I'm kind of jealous of KSU because they could name the score on 2/3 of their opponents and there's just something inherently fun about that, even if you take a hit from the playoff committee.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I'm generally option skeptical, but in Georgia Tech's case, Paul Johnson actually had a higher win percentage than any coach in Georgia Tech's history, if I'm not mistaken. The option (IMO) is not an offense to win a championship with in 2018 because of it's limitations on third and long (which is why Wofford has slightly transitioned away from it). But it's definitely a good offense for a team that has recruiting problems.

Also, Bohannan isn't listed among likely replacements: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25400591/paul-johnson-retire-coach-georgia-tech-yellow-jacketsTony Elliott would be a GREAT hire for them. Got to know him a little bit when he was at FU and nothing but wonderful things to say about him. He really has an amazing growing-up story too. Google it up. Any adversity he faces as a Coach is NOTHING compared to what he’s already faced and overcome.

Not a big fan of Monken, but it may be because he’s still got some of that GaSou on him. I’d go with Bohannon between those 2, if Elliot’s not their guy or they can’t land him. Don’t know much about Whisenhunt. Remember him as a Player at GT. As an alum & an NFL guy, I’m guessing he will have an inside track.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Georgia Tech should not leave the option. PJ only had one team that wasn't competitive for .500 I think.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 01:39 PM
If they want to stick with the option you have to think Bohannon is the guy. He's basically PJ Jr.

HootyHoo
November 28th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Ken Whisenhunt will be the new Head Coach at Georgia Tech.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 01:46 PM
I wrote a preview for a website on this game:

http://frontporchfootball.com/the-other-game-in-georgia-wofford-vs-kennesaw-state-preview/?fbclid=IwAR0j8-MVa-Tk_wv0D2D-Dn6fyTl35yI0dE2sIISS3dttXUyRvsxW-NFsWsw (http://frontporchfootball.com/the-other-game-in-georgia-wofford-vs-kennesaw-state-preview/?fbclid=IwAR0j8-MVa-Tk_wv0D2D-Dn6fyTl35yI0dE2sIISS3dttXUyRvsxW-NFsWsw)

Obviously a homer pick, but still worth the read.

walliver
November 28th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Georgia Tech should not leave the option. PJ only had one team that wasn't competitive for .500 I think.

Georgia Tech has dreams of competing against Clemson (I would normally add FSU and Louisville, but not this year) and Miami and will likely change offensive strategies. Although I enjoy watching his version of the triple option, a change in their offense wouldn't bother me as they have snagged too many recruits from us in the past.

HootyHoo
November 28th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Georgia Tech has dreams of competing against Clemson (I would normally add FSU and Louisville, but not this year) and Miami and will likely change offensive strategies. Although I enjoy watching his version of the triple option, a change in their offense wouldn't bother me as they have snagged too many recruits from us in the past.

Agreed, KSU has also had recruits taken by tech. It will be nice to not have Paul Johnson looming in recruiting.

BurialGround
November 28th, 2018, 03:35 PM
HootyHoo.... I love you as a fellow Owl but the Big South is trash and we need to prove who we are in the playoffs. We are young and haven't faced many great teams. Let's see what we can do on Saturday and we'll take it one game at a time.

We're not young though.

Also, GT would have to be ridiculously stupid to hang on to the option. Top players don't want to play on that offense. As has been said, they have to take recruits from KSU and SoCon teams. That's awful for a P5 program. Wishful thinking from the SoCon guys hoping that they'll take Bohanon.

ksu_owls
November 28th, 2018, 03:39 PM
We're not young though.

Also, GT would have to be ridiculously stupid to hang on to the option. Top players don't want to play on that offense. As has been said, they have to take recruits from KSU and SoCon teams. That's awful for a P5 program. Wishful thinking from the SoCon guys hoping that they'll take Bohanon.

young program*

sorry!

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 04:16 PM
We're not young though.

Also, GT would have to be ridiculously stupid to hang on to the option. Top players don't want to play on that offense. As has been said, they have to take recruits from KSU and SoCon teams. That's awful for a P5 program. Wishful thinking from the SoCon guys hoping that they'll take Bohanon.LOL - What an a$$hat of a 1st impression you have made. You obviously set a goal & you are achieving your objectives.

Solid Representative of the KSU fan base or no?

So...anyway...I love option Football and your logic for why a P5 Team should not run it makes no sense. I get that it is a popular sentiment, but being popular doesn’t make it correct. Otherwise, we’d all still be listening to Vanilla Ice, Geno Vanelli, and Milli Vanilli. I won’t waste my keystrokes to support my assertion to you. I’ll save those for peeps that really want to talk ball & I’m about 100% confident that ain’t you.

As far as Coach Bohannon, very impressed with him; but I don’t care if he’s Coaching at Kennesaw State U., Kennesaw Mountain HS, or in Kennebunkport, Maine next year. It’s just of no consequence to me.

The wishful thinking is you wishing any SoCon fan would give even a single rat’s rear end about who is Coaching your owlets.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 04:16 PM
We're not young though.

Also, GT would have to be ridiculously stupid to hang on to the option. Top players don't want to play on that offense. As has been said, they have to take recruits from KSU and SoCon teams. That's awful for a P5 program. Wishful thinking from the SoCon guys hoping that they'll take Bohanon.JSU isn't a socon fan

Georgia Tech wasn't getting elite players before Johnson anyway

BurialGround
November 28th, 2018, 04:30 PM
LOL - What an a$$hat of a 1st impression you have made. You obviously set a goal & you are achieving your objectives.

Solid Representative of the KSU fan base or no?

So...anyway...I love option Football and your logic for why a P5 Team should not run it makes no sense. I get that it is a popular sentiment, but being popular doesn’t make it correct. Otherwise, we’d all still be listening to Vanilla Ice, Geno Vanelli, and Milli Vanilli. I won’t waste my keystrokes to support my assertion to you. I’ll save those for peeps that really want to talk ball & I’m about 100% confident that ain’t you.

As far as Coach Bohannon, very impressed with him; but I don’t care if he’s Coaching at Kennesaw State U., Kennesaw Mountain HS, or in Kennebunkport, Maine next year. It’s just of no consequence to me.

The wishful thinking is you wishing any SoCon fan would give even a single rat’s rear end about who is Coaching your owlets.

And GT will still be as mediocre with the option as your worthless Bears. You loving option football means nothing, jack@$$. /end

BurialGround
November 28th, 2018, 04:32 PM
JSU isn't a socon fan

Georgia Tech wasn't getting elite players before Johnson anyway

My comment was aimed at fubear, and he knows it, which is why he got so butthurt.

And wrong, they were getting some. They were never UGA-caliber, but to say they weren't getting any elite players is just wrong. They typically got some 4-stars each year, and the occasional 5-star. Calvin Johnson ring any bells?

katss07
November 28th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Why do KSU fans hate ETSU? I see beef on the twitters, what’s up with it?

ElCid
November 28th, 2018, 04:51 PM
My comment was aimed at fubear, and he knows it, which is why he got so butthurt.

And wrong, they were getting some. They were never UGA-caliber, but to say they weren't getting any elite players is just wrong. They typically got some 4-stars each year, and the occasional 5-star. Calvin Johnson ring any bells?

That may be true, but Ga Tech has just a slightly higher caliber of student athlete than UGA does. Harder recruiting challenge. They seemed to have taken their issues in the 00s to heart and restored some credibility to their academic side. GaTech has done OK running the option. Not great, but OK. Since 2008 they have had 8 winning seasons (including this year) and only 3 losing ones. That includes four 9, 10, or 11 win seasons and 8 bowls including 2 New Years day bowls. That is pretty good.

ksu_owls
November 28th, 2018, 04:52 PM

Whenever we started getting national attention and being ranked high ETSU brought up a 2OT game from 2016 where they beat us. They forgot we beat them by 40 the year before in our first ever football game. I think it's just two newer programs trying to find some common hate? (Newer as in since they started back up.) They just try to annoy us... they take every chance they get to say something to us. Nothing too crazy.

What is more interesting than the ETSU-hate is the mutual respect between KSU/JSU. That's an example of two programs that don't want to like each other but have to respect the hell out of each other.

Birdman_
November 28th, 2018, 04:53 PM

Not even worth the keystrokes, honestly.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Why do KSU fans hate ETSU? I see beef on the twitters, what’s up with it?Saw that too - they have Atlantic Sun history in hoops & other sports from 2005 to 2014. Probably some beef around that AND ETSU totally left to upgrade to the SoCon, along with Mercer...but left the owlets behind...and then they both started Football & played each other in their Yr1 - May have been each other’s 1st game...and I think ETSU won on a last second FG. Or maybe ETSU was a year ahead...don’t remember.

So, owlets are jealous of Bucs because they are in the SoCon & beat them in their 1st football game...maybe.

Bucs are jealous of owlets success in playoffs last year.

Probably more to it, but that’s kinda what it is...I think.

Also - seems kinda easy to take a pretty quick disliking to the owlet fans if this thread is any indication. Lots of bluster, almost zero substance.

...kinda like their Twitter feeds....hmmmm?

EDIT: I’m sure the facts in the other responses are much more accurate than mine, albeit one-sided. As I said, just haven’t had much reason to pay KSU much mind...outside of my AGS voting.

ksu_owls
November 28th, 2018, 05:04 PM
That may be true, but Ga Tech has just a slightly higher caliber of student athlete than UGA does. Harder recruiting challenge. They seemed to have taken their issues in the 00s to heart and restored some credibility to their academic side. GaTech has done OK running the option. Not great, but OK. Since 2008 they have had 8 winning seasons (including this year) and only 3 losing ones. That includes four 9, 10, or 11 win seasons and 8 bowls including 2 New Years day bowls. That is pretty good.

My opinion is that the TO is not going to win an FBS national championship. I think the highest level of competition that you can win a Natty with the TO is FCS. Now that UGA is a serious title contender, I think GT needs to invest a few years into a new offense where they can be competitive and potentially reach the Top 4. They're a great school that should be able to recruit plenty of top caliber student athletes. The TO will not get them there.

ElCid
November 28th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Saw that too - they have Atlantic Sun history in hoops & other sports from 2005 to 2014. Probably some beef around that AND ETSU totally left to upgrade to the SoCon, along with Mercer...but left the owlets behind...and then they both started Football & played each other in their Yr1 - May have been each other’s 1st game...and I think ETSU won on a last second FG. Or maybe ETSU was a year ahead...don’t remember.

So, owlets are jealous of Bucs because they are in the SoCon & beat them in their 1st football game...maybe.

Bucs are jealous of owlets success in playoffs last year.

Probably more to it, but that’s kinda what it is...I think.

Also - seems kinda easy to take a pretty quick disliking to the owlet fans if this thread is any indication. Lots of bluster, almost zero substance.

...kinda like their Twitter feeds....hmmmm?

EDIT: I’m sure the facts in the other responses are much more accurate than mine, albeit one-sided. As I said, just haven’t had much reason to pay KSU much mind...outside of my AGS voting.

ETSU and KSU started the same year 2015. They played each other the first game for each. KSU won the first game 56-16, ETSU won the second 20-17..

BurialGround
November 28th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Everybody knows this about the academics, it's an issue, I agree. Paul Johnson is (was) a damn good coach, and he always had GT playing above their talent level. But he'd hit his ceiling there, and honestly, they're lucky they play in the division they do. The ACC Coastal is really bad.

ElCid
November 28th, 2018, 05:06 PM
My opinion is that the TO is not going to win an FBS national championship. I think the highest level of competition that you can win a Natty with the TO is FCS. Now that UGA is a serious title contender, I think GT needs to invest a few years into a new offense where they can be competitive and potentially reach the Top 4. They're a great school that should be able to recruit plenty of top caliber student athletes. The TO will not get them there.

Maybe, maybe not. I never say never. But you are right regarding the odds.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Why do KSU fans hate ETSU? I see beef on the twitters, what’s up with it?Long story short: last time they played KSU lost. KSU doesn't lose (or play close games) often because of their weak conference so their fans view every one that does as a rival, at least subconsciously.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 05:29 PM
That may be true, but Ga Tech has just a slightly higher caliber of student athlete than UGA does. Harder recruiting challenge. They seemed to have taken their issues in the 00s to heart and restored some credibility to their academic side. GaTech has done OK running the option. Not great, but OK. Since 2008 they have had 8 winning seasons (including this year) and only 3 losing ones. That includes four 9, 10, or 11 win seasons and 8 bowls including 2 New Years day bowls. That is pretty good.Tech lost their way in OL Recruiting for a few years. They fell victim to stars & measurables & stopped signing the athletic OLmen they need to run their Offense & started bringing in guys ‘with length’ & stars instead. That’s when they had their mediocre years after 2009. And, of course, they’ve struggled on D...probably for similar, but mirror image reasons that Air Raid Teams tend to struggle on that side of the ball. They’ve gone back to getting more of the right OL guys in recent years, but still struggled on D.

On the academics side, I don’t think Tech has that big of a problem, relatively, at getting kids in school. The bigger problem is that they ALL have to take & Pass calculus. With APR tracking & associated penalties (and bonuses), they just don’t want to TRY to get them in if they don’t have a good shot to pass Calc. So, yeah, same challenge you mention, but a little more detail. This info is a few years old...so things could have changed since I spoke with GT’s AD about it a few years back.

All this said, their fans are weary of hearing about their Offense from equally as uninformed fans, so they will, most likely go far away from option football with this hire. They’ve certainly run some option-based stuff at Clemson, so maybe they would be afraid to hire Tony Elliott. Of those listed, as the KSU fan said with such certainty, Whisenhunt probably makes the most sense. “Look, we have an NFL Coach now. You can’t tease me about our Offense anymore!”

Chan Gailey was an NFL guy, wasn’t he? 7-5 just about every year. Sounds about right.

ElCid
November 28th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Everybody knows this about the academics, it's an issue, I agree. Paul Johnson is (was) a damn good coach, and he always had GT playing above their talent level. But he'd hit his ceiling there, and honestly, they're lucky they play in the division they do. The ACC Coastal is really bad.

Historically yes, but take out the Tigers today and there is not a huge difference.

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2018, 05:33 PM
ETSU and KSU started the same year 2015. They played each other the first game for each. KSU won the first game 56-16, ETSU won the second 20-17..And in 2016 ETSU was the Socon whipping boy (other than Samford and WCU for some reason). Against Wofford they didn't even cross the 50 yard line, and Wofford was just getting back to being a good program (hadn't made the playoffs in the previous 3 years).

Kennesaw finished 8-3 in the Big South that year.

That reality lines my outlook on that conference. Charleston Southern played us tough that year, yes, but when a second year program can go 8-3 and finish second (?) that is bad.

FUBeAR
November 28th, 2018, 05:41 PM
...when a second year program can go 8-3 and finish second (?) that is bad.
How about a Conference where a FIRST YEAR Team can go 10-2...and another ‘power’ Conference loses Playoff games to Teams from that weak of a Conference 2 years in a row...and is rewarded for that effort with 3 seeded teams the following year? Is that bad?

ElCid
November 28th, 2018, 05:43 PM
And in 2016 ETSU was the Socon whipping boy (other than Samford and WCU for some reason). Against Wofford they didn't even cross the 50 yard line, and Wofford was just getting back to being a good program (hadn't made the playoffs in the previous 3 years).

That reality lines my outlook on that conference. Charleston Southern played us tough that year, yes, but when a second year program can go 8-3 and finish second (?) that is bad.

Yes, ETSU has come a long way. I think in 16 they crossed the 50 twice on us.

What gets me is this year, we should have won. We dominated them in almost every stat. We got out coached plain and simple. We were like 2/5 on 4th down tries on our side of the field and they scored on 3 of those as I recall. UHG!

KSUFAN
November 28th, 2018, 05:43 PM
And in 2016 ETSU was the Socon whipping boy (other than Samford and WCU for some reason). Against Wofford they didn't even cross the 50 yard line, and Wofford was just getting back to being a good program (hadn't made the playoffs in the previous 3 years).

Yep and that's the same year we spanked Furman at their place!