PDA

View Full Version : Football trend: I-AA teams playing big boys

AppSteeler
April 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM
From the Charlotte Observer

http://www.charlotte.com/129/story/74765.html

"You know the old cliche about them putting on their pants one leg at a time, just like we do?" Moore said. "Well, the difference is that theirs are a 48 Long and ours are a 30 Slim."

appfan2008
April 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM
great article... i didnt realize we got turned down like that... but that is awesome

DetroitFlyer
April 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Sounds to me like App. State has resigned themselves to losing the game at Michigan. Take the money and run.... Absolutely the wrong attitude to portray, especially in the press. Harbaugh would have his team convinced that they would win this game. He would probably even have his AD convinced. Hard to win a game if everyone in the program is just looking at it as a payday....

CID1990
April 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I agree.

We always go into those games thinking we have a chance. Charlie Taaffe always had those kids believing they could win the big games, and they did.

citdog
April 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM
In many people's opinion, our 10-3 victory over the Arkansas Razorbacks is still the greatest FCS over BCS upset of all time. We should have hired Charlie a driver.

MYTAPPY
April 5th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Mr. C, why haven't you sent an e-mail to David Scott bashing him for using 1-AA in this article?? J/K xpeacex xsmiley_wix

youwouldno
April 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Moore is just being realistic. He's going to give it his best shot. The MAC thing is nothing new, a top SoCon team will have a very good chance against basically anyone in that conference, and might even be a favorite against a weak MAC team.

89Hen
April 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Harbaugh would have his team convinced that they would win this game.
Probably. He had them convinced they deserved a playoff spot last year. Nobody else was convinced, but they were.

lizrdgizrd
April 5th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Sounds to me like App. State has resigned themselves to losing the game at Michigan. Take the money and run.... Absolutely the wrong attitude to portray, especially in the press. Harbaugh would have his team convinced that they would win this game. He would probably even have his AD convinced. Hard to win a game if everyone in the program is just looking at it as a payday....
Jim Harbaugh would have made it sound like they were going to stomp Michigan and then loose by 50. Moore is smart. He knows that realistically there's little chance for us to win that game, but he'll have his guys ready to play and they'll give it their best shot and let Michigan know we're no gimme. xnodx

Seawolf97
April 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Really an interesting article. I dont know when Stonybrook would schedule an FBS team maybe in 4 or 5 years. We could always play Buffalo
they are a SUNY school and we would have an even chance at a win.

PaladinFan
April 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Strange though, many FBS schools "take the money and run" every season. Alabama and Auburn are keeping UL Monroe's athletic department afloat.

danefan
April 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Harbaugh is too busy spewing crap about Pete Carroll leaving USC. Now he's got his eyes set on USC.

Bobcat in NC
April 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM

I think that Coach Moore is doing exactly what he should be. Being humble and self-depricating to the rest of the world and avoiding giving the Wolverines bulletin-board material. I think it's a mistake to confuse what Coach is saying in the press with what he'll be saying in private to his team. The Mountaineers will be more than ready and will be pumped up for this one, and Coach Moore won't give Michigan anything to get them pumped up. Will that result in an App win? No. Will it avoid having Michigan come out breathing fire and allow App to stay in the game a little longer? Maybe. That's good enough for me. Your opinion of what Harbaugh would do, however, would do nothing more than motivate Michigan to put a beating on the little nobodies coming to their house and get them to come out and hang 28 on you in the first quarter. And keep piling it on from there...

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM

What a coach says to his team and what he says to the press are two different things. If you read Coach Mac's quotes in the news leading up to the Northwestern game last year you might have wondered if UNH would even show up. All the while he and the coaches were convincing the kids that "we have a real chance to win this thing". Let the sleeping giant lie. No reason to give Michigan anything to post on the locker room wall. Maybe the players will be thinking the same thing the fans are. "Who the heck is App State?".

April 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Mr. C, why haven't you sent an e-mail to David Scott bashing him for using 1-AA in this article??I did yesterday, no bash just reminder that the trophy says D-I and ASU plays FCS. I have a form letter. Sent six yesterday and four already today. I also attach the NCAA pdf explaining usage of the new labels. xnodx

MYTAPPY
April 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM
We can always count on you Ralphxthumbsupx

Mr. C
April 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Mr. C, why haven't you sent an e-mail to David Scott bashing him for using 1-AA in this article?? J/K xpeacex xsmiley_wix
I did indeed send my friends at the Observer (a newspaper that I have a nearly 15-year working relationship with) a nicely worded correction on the subject. There was no need to bash them. At least they know that Appalachian State is a Division I school, unlike our pal Pete. Harry Pickett, the deputy sports editor of the Observer is an Appalachian State alumnus, BTW. We are in an educational process with a lot of media right now and will continue to be ALL year long. Hopefully, they will eventually get things right.

P.S. MYTAPPY, the CORRECT term was I-AA, not 1-AA (if you are going to cast stones, get it right what you are throwing stones at).

Mr. C
April 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM
What a coach says to his team and what he says to the press are two different things. If you read Coach Mac's quotes in the news leading up to the Northwestern game last year you might have wondered if UNH would even show up. All the while he and the coaches were convincing the kids that "we have a real chance to win this thing". Let the sleeping giant lie. No reason to give Michigan anything to post on the locker room wall. Maybe the players will be thinking the same thing the fans are. "Who the heck is App State?".
You have it right on the mark here. The last thing Coach Moore is going to do is give Michigan some locker room material. Maybe Jim Harbaugh ought to learn from his more seasoned coaching compatriot.

MYTAPPY
April 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM
P.S. MYTAPPY, the CORRECT term was I-AA, not 1-AA (if you are going to cast stones, get it right what you are throwing stones at).

TOUCHE!!!

We're all friends here Mr. Cxprost2x

CID1990
April 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
In many people's opinion, our 10-3 victory over the Arkansas Razorbacks is still the greatest FCS over BCS upset of all time. We should have hired Charlie a driver.

I actually offered to drive him to those Touchdown Club meetings when I talked to Stan Hurteau several years ago. I said it in a joking manner, but I would have done it!