PDA

View Full Version : Does Klieman finally get at the STATS FCS Eddie Robinson award this year?

djohnk
November 21st, 2018, 12:10 PM
Does Klieman finally get the STATS FCS Eddie Robinson award this year? Why does the selection committee keep snubbing Klieman, any ideas?

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 12:11 PM
I think it's because it's primarily reserved for the coach that busts on the scene and does something unexpected. Winning programs are expected to do so regardless of who is at the head.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2018, 12:14 PM
Doubt it. I don't even think he wins the MVFC COY. That'll be Curt Mallory from Indiana St. Like yt said it's tough to win it when you're expected to be a national title contender going into the season and Klieman's teams have been that each of his 5 years as the head coach.

I think it's too bad because he obviously a fantastic coach but I don't think he'll lose any sleep over it so Bison fans shouldn't either.

Bisonoline
November 21st, 2018, 12:24 PM
I think it's because it's primarily reserved for the coach that busts on the scene and does something unexpected. Winning programs are expected to do so regardless of who is at the head.

I always thought is was for a coach who consistently runs a clean program, a role model, produced good athletes on the field and better men off of it.
Coaches who are one and done arent what Eddie Robinson was about.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 12:28 PM
I always thought is was for a coach who consistently runs a clean program, a role model, produced good athletes on the field and better men off of it.
Coaches who are one and done arent what Eddie Robinson was about.

I don't disagree, I'm just describing how the award works. By this measure, Mike Ayers should have gotten more national accolades given what he did at Wofford, but he only won it once.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2018, 12:49 PM
...NOPE......GREAT COACH....BUT JES' RELOADS.....EVERAH YEAR.......MAYBEAH MAINE COACH....AS "DUH BEARS".....WERE THOUGHT TA BE....NEAR BOTTOM CAA...OR....SOMEONE.....LIKE....COLGATE......IFIN' SOME PLAY-OFF SUCCESS.....AWK!

beauregardrippit
November 21st, 2018, 01:01 PM
I don't disagree, I'm just describing how the award works. By this measure, Mike Ayers should have gotten more national accolades given what he did at Wofford, but he only won it once.

Yeah, just like Shawn Graves!

KPSUL
November 21st, 2018, 01:43 PM
Yes, give it to Klieman. Has anyone else gone undefeated this season and won 3 of the last 4 Championships ?

maine612
November 21st, 2018, 01:49 PM
I would have no problem with Kliemann winning it but I agree with some of the other posters. Belichick never wins any awards either. Hard for coaches that perennially win to get recognized.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2018, 02:24 PM
Bohl won it in 2013, Klieman winning it this year would be similar to that.

Redbird 4th & short
November 21st, 2018, 03:10 PM
Bohl won it in 2013, Klieman winning it this year would be similar to that.
agree in that this Bison team stands out like 2013. But going from 0-11 losing by over 30 ppg to 7-4 in the MVFC and being considered the most screwed team to not get a bid ... very very hard to ignore that accomplishment. Toss up ... if I were in the room voting, I would struggle but ultimately have to vote for Mallory.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2018, 03:39 PM
As an ISUb fan, I think its pretty close between the guys. i think Klieman getting the coacing award would less of a surprise than us getting left out of the playoffs

furpal87
November 21st, 2018, 04:05 PM
This happens to a lot of great coaches...in NE how many times has Belichick won coach of year or Coach k (he hasn't won ACC coach of year in 20 + years), or Saban or Jackson?

katss07
November 21st, 2018, 04:14 PM
Dan Hawkins- UC Davis
Eric Morris- UIW
Brian Bohannon- KSU

Those would be my three choices.

cx500d
November 21st, 2018, 05:27 PM
Dan Hawkins- UC Davis
Eric Morris- UIW
Brian Bohannon- KSU

I liked dan Hawkins attitude and comments on the fcs selection show.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2018, 07:19 PM
I don't think Klieman will get it. Probably deserves it though.

ETSUfan1
November 21st, 2018, 07:22 PM
Randy Sanders totally changed the culture at ETSU. He did something no other coach in ETSU history has done. Win a SoCon championship. We were picked 8th in the preseason.

MR. CHICKEN
November 22nd, 2018, 08:04 AM
I don't think Klieman will get it. Probably deserves it though.

..........HE DIDN'T...GET IT....IN YER CONFERENCE.........HE'S GREAT......BUT DEY WANT.......WARM & FUZZY.....SUCCESS STORY TYPES...........BRAWK!

..........MAINE/COLGATE/E. TENN. STATE........WHIFF SOME.....PLAY-OFF SUCCESS.....AWK!

Redbird 4th & short
November 22nd, 2018, 08:20 AM
Dan Hawkins- UC Davis
Eric Morris- UIW
Brian Bohannon- KSU

so after wondering why you picked these 3, I just now looked into and realized both IW and Lamar made nice jumps this season ... Lamar jumped from 2 wins to 7 and IW jumped from 1 win to 6. UC Davis only jumped from 5 to 9. All impressive, though UC Davis had toughest SOS. But none like ISUb going from 0 to 7 wins. Kennesaw St would have had my vote last year ... they were a very average team at beginning of the year and seemed to get better every week during the season. This year was more expected coming out of last year .. plus they had a lot coming back and played same easy SOS, so he would not get my vote this year.

But I know zero about any of these coaches, other than Mallory at ISUb, and admiration from afar with KSU last year.

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2018, 11:13 AM
Klieman inherited a pretty good program, lol so I would not think he is getting it over the others that have moved their programs to the forefront.

lionsrking2
November 22nd, 2018, 11:32 AM
Morris at UIW in my opinon.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2018, 11:56 AM
Morris at UIW in my opinon.
That’s a good choice...the guy at Lamar would be good too.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2018, 12:01 PM
Klieman inherited a pretty good program, lol so I would not think he is getting it over the others that have moved their programs to the forefront.

But keeping the bar high is underestimated also.

He kept those recruits 5 years ago when Bohl left and his own recruits are doing very well also.

Leatherneckcountry
November 22nd, 2018, 12:06 PM
I either Mallory or Tom Matukewicz at SEMO.

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM
But keeping the bar high is underestimated also.

He kept those recruits 5 years ago when Bohl left and his own recruits are doing very well also.

Still easier than starting from the ground up

dewey
November 22nd, 2018, 08:25 PM
Maybe I missed it but when are votes for the award due by?

If the Bison win the title I think Klieman deserves the award.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2018, 11:23 PM
Maybe I missed it but when are votes for the award due by?

If the Bison win the title I think Klieman deserves the award.

Dewey
I'm pretty sure the votes are due after the regular season but before the first playoff games (so right about now) and then they announce 3-5 finalists for each that are invited to the awards banquet in Frisco the week of the natty where they announce the winners. I'm fairly certain playoff results do not factor into the voting due to the voting deadline.

McNeese75
November 22nd, 2018, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the votes are due after the regular season but before the first playoff games (so right about now) and then they announce 3-5 finalists for each that are invited to the awards banquet in Frisco the week of the natty where they announce the winners. I'm fairly certain playoff results do not factor into the voting due to the voting deadline.

Correct!!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2018, 07:19 AM
Still easier than starting from the ground up

Not disagreeing but the only place to go when you are at rock bottom is up.

MR. CHICKEN
November 23rd, 2018, 07:53 AM
....MAH DUCATS......ON JOE HARASYMIAK....MAINE COACH.........HAD "DUH BEARS".......GROWLIN'.....LIKE MAH PRE-HOLIDAY STOMACH.....ALL YEAR.....WERE PICKED 8th.....IN ALL MIGHTY MIGHTY..CAA.... PRESEASON......OWN-LAH 4 HOME GAMES......UH FBS SCALP......WHIFF OFT-INJURED QB..........BRAWK!

.....IFIN' DUH RUSSIANS/CLENZ.....HACKS DUH POLLS.........AH'LL GO WHIFF.....COACH DAN HUNT........COLGATE BRAIN-TRUST............HE SHOOD BE HEAD UH NATIONAL SECURITY........WHIFF....DAT DEFENSE.......AWK!

cx500d
November 23rd, 2018, 11:40 AM
....MAH DUCATS......ON JOE HARASYMIAK....MAINE COACH.........HAD "DUH BEARS".......GROWLIN'.....LIKE MAH PRE-HOLIDAY STOMACH.....ALL YEAR.....WERE PICKED 8th.....IN ALL MIGHTY MIGHTY..CAA.... PRESEASON......OWN-LAH 4 HOME GAMES......UH FBS SCALP......WHIFF OFT-INJURED QB..........BRAWK!

.....IFIN' DUH RUSSIANS/CLENZ.....HACKS DUH POLLS.........AH'LL GO WHIFF.....COACH DAN HUNT........COLGATE BRAIN-TRUST............HE SHOOD BE HEAD UH NATIONAL SECURITY........WHIFF....DAT DEFENSE.......AWK!
I could go for either of those guys too. Lots of good candidates to pick.

i wonder how Maine would have done if that rb from last year would have stayed...

SochorField
November 23rd, 2018, 08:38 PM
Dan Hawkins has a strong chance IMO.

Inherited a program that went 31-58 from 2012-2016

5-7 in first season 2017
9-2 so far in 2018.

Gets his alma mater to the Playoffs for the first time in DI in his second season @ Davis.

He is a comeback story himself!

McNeese75
November 23rd, 2018, 10:23 PM
Not disagreeing but the only place to go when you are at rock bottom is up.

But you still have to do it.

uni88
November 24th, 2018, 12:33 AM
Not disagreeing but the only place to go when you are at rock bottom is up.To be honest, you can either go up or stay at rock bottom. It would appear that the majority stay at rock bottom.