PDA

View Full Version : How did Idaho make the playoffs in 1995?

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2018, 09:36 AM
Title is the question, really. I saw where Idaho got into the I-AA playoffs back in 1995 when they were 6-4 in the regular season (10 games?...they have a cancellation?...or just weird scheduling?) Now, they did finish out the regular season with wins over three straight Top 20-ranked teams (NAU, UNI, Boise State), but they also had one of their wins over a DII team and didn't have a I-A win (looks like they did play well in their game against Oregon State though).

It just seems odd to me that there were teams like: 8-3 UConn, 7-4 W&M, 7-4 MTSU, 7-4 Boise State (who had a I-A win), or 7-4 NAU who didn't get in, but a 6-4 team did (they did have head to head wins over the two other Big Sky teams, so that's something, at least).

Just seems odd that you'd have a 6-4 team able to make it into a 16-team playoff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season

This was a couple of years before I started paying attention to I-AA/FCS football, so I don't really have any ideas on what was up with that.

McNeese72
November 21st, 2018, 09:41 AM
I don't know how they got in, but I do remember well that they didn't last long. ;)

Doc

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2018, 09:42 AM
Title is the question, really. I saw where Idaho got into the I-AA playoffs back in 1995 when they were 6-4 in the regular season (10 games?...they have a cancellation?...or just weird scheduling?) Now, they did finish out the regular season with wins over three straight Top 20-ranked teams (NAU, UNI, Boise State), but they also had one of their wins over a DII team and didn't have a I-A win (looks like they did play well in their game against Oregon State though).

It just seems odd to me that there were teams like: 8-3 UConn, 7-4 W&M, 7-4 MTSU, 7-4 Boise State (who had a I-A win), or 7-4 NAU who didn't get in, but a 6-4 team did (they did have head to head wins over the two other Big Sky teams, so that's something, at least).

Just seems odd that you'd have a 6-4 team able to make it into a 16-team playoff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season

This was a couple of years before I started paying attention to I-AA/FCS football, so I don't really have any ideas on what was up with that.

because we choked on a dick against EIU in the last game of the season

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM
because we choked on a dick against EIU in the last game of the season

Well, I get why Indiana State got left out (that year...this year is still unclear). They lost their last two games and two of their wins were against DII teams, so they were really 5-4 against DI teams.

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 09:53 AM
Not unlike some MVFC 6-4 team getting in currently. BS appeared, according to Massey, to be a bit better that year. They were the number 1 conf. They also beat the ultimate champ, Montana, who was ranked 60 in div I. Looking back at those years is fun, and intetesting.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2018, 10:07 AM
Not unlike some MVFC 6-4 team getting in currently. BS appeared, according to Massey, to be a bit better that year. They were the number 1 conf. They also beat the ultimate champ, Montana, who was ranked 60 in div I. Looking back at those years is fun, and intetesting.

Sure, but still...a 6-5 MVFC team in a 24-team playoff is borderline the last few years.
I get that the Big Sky back then was like the MVFC now, but they only took 16 teams then. I don't see any 6-win team (whether it's 6-5 or a 6-4 with a cancellation) making it into a 16-team field.
Looking at this year, if we just went 16 teams, then ETSU, Incarnate Word, Lamar, Elon, UNI ...all get left behind (plus a few more, obviously, but those would be the first to go). 7-4 is borderline in a 16-team field.

Back then, was the field determined the same way?...playoff committee? Or did they use polls...either human or calculated?

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2018, 10:08 AM
Well, I get why Indiana State got left out (that year...this year is still unclear). They lost their last two games and two of their wins were against DII teams, so they were really 5-4 against DI teams.

Yeah, i dont understand why we were playing 2 D2 teams. and we fell apart in those last 2 games.

Ironically, in 1993, we played WIU the last game of the season and they would have got the auto-bid at 5-6 if they beat us. We ended up winning to make both teams 4-7 and we had a 2 team fight on the way off the field. I was a freshman so I was unaware of anything going on.xlolx

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2018, 10:24 AM

Likely strength of schedule. Georgetown had back to back 9-2 seasons in 1998 and 1999 and didn't get a look.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2018, 11:36 AM
I remember it fairly well and they were in the discussion because they had gotten on a hot streak after starting very poorly and they were knocking off ranked teams was the reasoning from the committee chair if I remember correctly. It was controversial then too.

Montana won the chipper that year and we lost two games that season. One was to WSU and the other to Idaho. Two teams withing 11 miles of each other. Being at that game that we lost in the Kibbie Dome and seeing all other competition in the playoffs and throughout the season I think they were a worthy team but their record from early season didn't make it look so.

I'd have to go back and look at their season but I think they beat us, UNR, and Boise all in the 2nd 1/2 that year.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2018, 11:37 AM
Likely strength of schedule. Georgetown had back to back 9-2 seasons in 1998 and 1999 and didn't get a look.

I think this is right on track.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2018, 11:43 AM
I remember it fairly well and they were in the discussion because they had gotten on a hot streak after starting very poorly and they were knocking off ranked teams was the reasoning from the committee chair if I remember correctly. It was controversial then too.

Montana won the chipper that year and we lost two games that season. One was to WSU and the other to Idaho. Two teams withing 11 miles of each other. Being at that game that we lost in the Kibbie Dome and seeing all other competition in the playoffs and throughout the season I think they were a worthy team but their record from early season didn't make it look so.

I'd have to go back and look at their season but I think they beat us, UNR, and Boise all in the 2nd 1/2 that year.

Nevada Reno was out in 1995 so that was not one of the wins. Their last year in the BSC was 94 but all the same it was the same reasoning. Idaho was ranked 17 in the final poll at the end of the season so it wasn't just the committee recognizing their worth.

katss07
November 21st, 2018, 04:09 PM
Wasn’t even born when this happened but I love FCS history. I love watching that Colgate/WIU game (I’ve probably seen it 3 or 4 times!). Anything like this definitely catches my interest. Old playoff games or fun rivalries peak my interest.

Not sure how a 6-4 team gets in with the 16 team field. Even in the last few years of the smaller field it seemed tough to get in at 7-4. Interesting point brought up. Clearly didn’t back up the committee’s choices. They got killed in LC.

Any McNeese fans around here at that game?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 21st, 2018, 04:38 PM
Wasn’t even born when this happened but I love FCS history. I love watching that Colgate/WIU game (I’ve probably seen it 3 or 4 times!). Anything like this definitely catches my interest. Old playoff games or fun rivalries peak my interest.

Not sure how a 6-4 team gets in with the 16 team field. Even in the last few years of the smaller field it seemed tough to get in at 7-4. Interesting point brought up. Clearly didn’t back up the committee’s choices. They got killed in LC.

I think McNeese was the #1 team going in so that doesn't really pull apart the decision too much. Egregious, no, debatable sure but as I said the polls from the time show them (Idaho) had come back to be in the mix for sure. They had a pretty solid record in the last 1/2 of the season. They did what UNI seems to do a lot. In fact UNI was one of their late season wins back then.

McNeese72
November 21st, 2018, 06:53 PM

Yes, Kerry Joseph, Terrence David, and crew had a field day. I think the score was something like 33-3 or something close to that. Did the same thing to Delaware the next week. Did one of my best jobs of sandbagging ever on the AOL Div I-AA board the week before that game. Had them so sure they were going to win, that the Delaware fans were already trashtalking with the Marshall fans about what was going to happen when they played in the next round. Had some of the Delaware fans complaining that we ran up the score the next week after the game. I pointed out that we weren't going to let happen what happened to us in Montana in 1994.

Doc

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 09:46 PM
Yes, Kerry Joseph, Terrence David, and crew had a field day. I think the score was something like 33-3 or something close to that. Did the same thing to Delaware the next week. Did one of my best jobs of sandbagging ever on the AOL Div I-AA board the week before that game. Had them so sure they were going to win, that the Delaware fans were already trashtalking with the Marshall fans about what was going to happen when they played in the next round. Had some of the Delaware fans complaining that we ran up the score the next week after the game. I pointed out that we weren't going to let happen what happened to us in Montana in 1994.

Doc

For your viewing pleasure.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4613&s=41840

TheValleyRaider
November 21st, 2018, 10:39 PM
Wasn’t even born when this happened but I love FCS history. I love watching that Colgate/WIU game (I’ve probably seen it 3 or 4 times!).

It was even better in person xnodx

kalm
November 22nd, 2018, 06:22 AM
For your viewing pleasure.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4613&s=41840

They played Missouri State, James Madison, and Portland State in the regular season that year. Wow.

Cool thread.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2018, 07:15 AM
They played Missouri State, James Madison, and Portland State in the regular season that year. Wow.

Cool thread.

That was a good geo-mix of OOC.

MR. CHICKEN
November 22nd, 2018, 08:11 AM
How did Idaho make the playoffs in 1995?

​........WASN'T MARTY......UH YOUNG.....NCAA GO-PHER.......DUMPIN' ASHTRAYS.....AN' FLYIN'....FO' COFFEE.......BACK IN DUH DAY?.........BRAWK!

McNeese72
November 22nd, 2018, 08:27 AM

Cool thread.

Don't forget Central Florida (UCF). They were decent when we played them and had a brand new QB named Duante Culpepper. Here is some interesting trivia about that game. They had played the No. 1 I-A team (at that time), Florida State, the week before coming to Lake Charles. Their fans were all excited because they kept the game close with FSU for 3 quarters before losing 42-14 (if I remember right). So, they come to Lake Charles the next week to play the No 1-AA team. All week all the media could talk about was Culpepper, Culpepper, Culpepper, etc. That pissed Kerry Joseph and the Cowboys off. So, they proceeded to smoke them beating them 49-7. There was a rumor for weeks after that game that there was a depression in the ground close to the south endzone where Kavika Pittman had planted Culpepper when making a sack.

So UCF played both the No 1 I-A team and the No 1 1-AA team in consecutive weeks and got beat worse by the No. 1 1-AA team.

That was some fun times back then when we McNeese was actually a great I-AA team.

There is also a good story about the JMU game and what has become known as "The Punt" if any of you guys want to hear it.

Doc

MR. CHICKEN
November 22nd, 2018, 08:44 AM
Don't forget Central Florida (UCF). They were decent when we played them and had a brand new QB named Duante Culpepper. Here is some interesting trivia about that game. They had played the No. 1 I-A team (at that time), Florida State, the week before coming to Lake Charles. Their fans were all excited because they kept the game close with FSU for 3 quarters before losing 42-14 (if I remember right). So, they come to Lake Charles the next week to play the No 1-AA team. All week all the media could talk about was Culpepper, Culpepper, Culpepper, etc. That pissed Kerry Joseph and the Cowboys off. So, they proceeded to smoke them beating them 49-7. There was a rumor for weeks after that game that there was a depression in the ground close to the south endzone where Kavika Pittman had planted Culpepper when making a sack.

So UCF played both the No 1 I-A team and the No 1 1-AA team in consecutive weeks and got beat worse by the No. 1 1-AA team.

That was some fun times back then when we McNeese was actually a great I-AA team.

There is also a good story about the JMU game and what has become known as "The Punt" if any of you guys want to hear it.

Doc
......NAH........AH'D.......RATHERAH.....HEAR....' BOUT......YER MEDICAL ISSUES......xrolleyesx........BRAWK!