PDA

View Full Version : Furman SID all conference posting - pretty funny

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 09:33 PM
In the midst of our SID posting about all Conference players our SID included this nugget - FUNNY, :D and telling... I didn't know our rating was this much higher than Lamar and UIW. Don't anyone get all hurt. Just a funny that our SID had this 'hidden" between the all conference listings- 25 and 38 spots higher is, honestly, A LOT

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/releases/20181120ki5z0b

“Furman failed to earn an at-large bid to the 24-team FCS playoffs despite finishing 148th in the combined FBS/FCS Sagarin Ratings — 25 and 38 spots higher, respectively, than at-large playoff selections Incarnate Word (6-4/173rd) and Lamar (7-4/186th).

The Paladins' 2018 schedule, rated higher than any Southland Conference program, included FBS No. 2 Clemson and three playoff qualifiers — Elon, East Tennessee State, and Wofford — along with a fourth, Patriot League champion Colgate, which the Paladins were scheduled to play on Sept. 15 at home before the game was canceled due to Hurricane Florence.

Furman's 34-14 triumph over Wofford, ranked 4th/6th in FCS at the time, was the highest ranked foe to fall to a SoCon or Southland Conference team in 2018.”

Outsider1
November 20th, 2018, 10:14 PM
In the midst of our SID posting about all Conference players our SID included this nugget - FUNNY, :D and telling... I didn't know our rating was this much higher than Lamar and UIW. Don't anyone get all hurt. Just a funny that our SID had this 'hidden" between the all conference listings- 25 and 38 spots higher is, honestly, A LOT

“Furman failed to earn an at-large bid to the 24-team FCS playoffs despite finishing 148th in the combined FBS/FCS Sagarin Ratings — 25 and 38 spots higher, respectively, than at-large playoff selections Incarnate Word (6-4/173rd) and Lamar (7-4/186th).

The Paladins' 2018 schedule, rated higher than any Southland Conference program, included FBS No. 2 Clemson and three playoff qualifiers — Elon, East Tennessee State, and Wofford — along with a fourth, Patriot League champion Colgate, which the Paladins were scheduled to play on Sept. 15 at home before the game was canceled due to Hurricane Florence.

Furman's 34-14 triumph over Wofford, ranked 4th/6th in FCS at the time, was the highest ranked foe to fall to a SoCon or Southland Conference team in 2018.”

+1

TheRevSFA
November 20th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Sounds like your SID needs to put his big boy pants on and get over it

apaladin
November 20th, 2018, 11:10 PM

The chair of the committee from the Southland did a heckuva con job. The problem is the other morons that let him get away with it. They should all never be allowed to serve on the committee again.

ElCid
November 20th, 2018, 11:10 PM
Sounds like your SID needs to put his big boy pants on and get over it

Along with about 80% of the Furman posters on here?

F'N Hawks
November 20th, 2018, 11:25 PM
Should tell you alot about how important Sagarin is. Hopefully, some people start to realize it now.

katss07
November 20th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Sounds like someone is a lil salty that Lamar is better than Furman. Lamar...

ElCid
November 20th, 2018, 11:56 PM
Should tell you alot about how important Sagarin is. Hopefully, some people start to realize it now.

Sagarin and Massey are good data points. But they are only as good as their algorithm. I find them to be great data points to validate my sanity, but they are not starting points. If something seems amiss when I crosscheck, I dig deeper.

As an aside, I love when people use them to validate their argument in regard to their team or conference, but when they don't agree with their notion, they totally ignore them. Call it selective validation.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 12:27 AM
Sounds like someone is a lil salty that Lamar is better than Furman. Lamar...

Ain't no one salty unless someone didn't read my post where I said quite clearly "don't anyone get all hurt". Geez people

and also, who said Lamar is better than Furman? Where is our proof ? I'd LOVE to play Lamar.
ill make sure it's not personal - . As with MOST reviews of the playoff committee I read (Hero etc) after the bracket was revealed (I read 3 or 4) and almost to a man most said Indiana State and/or Furman should be in and at Least one of UIW And/or Lamar should not be.

Let it go man. I was just posting a funny

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 12:30 AM

I'll take Sagarin over our damn committee ANY day and twice on Saturday. Not just Furman. Our committee has screwed LOTS of teams. Like say JMU this year as not getting a seed. How the heck is that ?

Too much politics and ignorance. I'll take a computer at this point - SERIOUSLY

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2018, 12:41 AM
Sounds like someone is a lil salty that Lamar is better than Furman. Lamar...We don’t know about that, but we all know damn sure they are a whole helluva lot better than your kats.

SAM HOUSTON STATE -VS- LAMAR UNIVERSITY

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

SHSU

Lamar

matfu
November 21st, 2018, 12:43 AM
Furman obviously got screwed. I would choose computers over biased selection committee voters any day of the week. Aren’t the FBS rankings purely based on a summation of computer models? If so, we should improve the process.

katss07
November 21st, 2018, 01:09 AM
We don’t know about that, but we all know damn sure they are a whole helluva lot better than your kats.

SAM HOUSTON STATE -VS- LAMAR UNIVERSITY

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Total

SHSU

Lamar

They are, that was a tough game. I wasn’t at it but I’m sure it would have been frustrating to watch. Sam stinks this year.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2018, 04:21 AM
I view the at large selection like I view those that gripe about a referee's call that may cost a team a game - don't put yourself in a position where someone else's judgment call costs you.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2018, 06:07 AM
Lamar and UIW will prove they didn't belong in this playoffs.

OhioHen
November 21st, 2018, 06:08 AM
The chair of the committee from the Southland did a heckuva con job. The problem is the other morons that let him get away with it. They should all never be allowed to serve on the committee again.

Paging Mr. Scarano. Mr. Marty Scarano. The committee needs you. xcoffeex

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2018, 06:17 AM
I'll take Sagarin over our damn committee ANY day and twice on Saturday. Not just Furman. Our committee has screwed LOTS of teams. Like say JMU this year as not getting a seed. How the heck is that ?

.......WHICH IN TURN.....SCREWS DUH PECKERHEADS....OUTTAH UH....HOMER.&......UH DUBBYAH.........xbangx...AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2018, 06:21 AM
I view the at large selection like I view those that gripe about a referee's call that may cost a team a game - don't put yourself in a position where someone else's judgment call costs you.

.....DIS COMES.....AFTERAH.....MILES UH PHURMAN TRANSCRIPT......ALL OVER DUH BOARD......xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfused xxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfused xxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfused xxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfused x.....BRAWK!

PAllen
November 21st, 2018, 07:40 AM

So Colgate should be the 2 seed then huh?

- - - Updated - - -

This.

PaladinNation
November 21st, 2018, 07:42 AM
My take on this… if I remember correctly the last time a SoCon co-champion didn't get a playoff bid (Chattanooga) some things went down on social media that gave the NCAA a black eye. I think this is a way to show displeasure in a softer form than an official social post — which when you think about it is interesting. A traditional press release today doesn't carry the weight of a tweet.

F'N Hawks
November 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM
Indiana State got shutout by UNI, basically got ****ing destroyed. So who cares if Lamar does too? Doesn't prove anything about who should've got in or not.
I think IWU is going to surprise a bit.

semobison
November 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM

Using Sagarin Furman is ranked 27th if you exclude the Ivies and they still don't get in. JMU would be the #4 seed though.

clenz
November 21st, 2018, 08:03 AM
I'll take Sagarin over our damn committee ANY day and twice on Saturday.

Then you might want to check where uni finished in that ranking and rethink your outrage over then being in

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2018, 08:14 AM
My take on this… if I remember correctly the last time a SoCon co-champion didn't get a playoff bid (Chattanooga) some things went down on social media that gave the NCAA a black eye. I think this is a way to show displeasure in a softer form than an official social post — which when you think about it is interesting. A traditional press release today doesn't carry the weight of a tweet.

Same deal, though. UTC put themselves in a position to get screwed in 2013 just like Furman did this year.

If Furman has anything less than a complete and total meltdown and blows a three touchdown lead against ETSU, the Paladins are the sole SoCon champs, the autobid and maybe even seeded at 7-3.

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 08:17 AM
Same deal, though. UTC put themselves in a position to get screwed in 2013 just like Furman did this year.

If Furman has anything less than a complete and total meltdown and blows a three touchdown lead against ETSU, the Paladins are the sole SoCon champs, the autobid and maybe even seeded at 7-3.

Seed was never going to happen after the Elon blowout. Get real.

TheValleyRaider
November 21st, 2018, 08:21 AM
So Colgate should be the 2 seed then huh?

Well I'm now fully on board the Sagarin bandwagon

walliver
November 21st, 2018, 08:25 AM
If you read to the bottom of the release, it is obvious that Wofford is the best team in the SoCon and Southland.xnodx As long as we are reading between the lines.

My only complaint is that the statement calls out UIW and Lamar. FU's beef is with the committee, not UIW, Lamar, or the Southland Conference.

katss07
November 21st, 2018, 08:32 AM
.......WHICH IN TURN.....SCREWS DUH PECKERHEADS....OUTTAH UH....HOMER.&......UH DUBBYAH.........xbangx...AWK!
Peckerheads shouldn’t have lost to Villanova.

kalm
November 21st, 2018, 08:42 AM
Sagarin and Massey are good data points. But they are only as good as their algorithm. I find them to be great data points to validate my sanity, but they are not starting points. If something seems amiss when I crosscheck, I dig deeper.

As an aside, I love when people use them to validate their argument in regard to their team or conference, but when they don't agree with their notion, they totally ignore them. Call it selective validation.

100% this.

Furman's best win was Wofford who's 26 in Massey (which btw is better than Sagarin). Wofford's best win is ETSU who is 46 in Massey. ETSU's best win is Furman who is 27 in Massey. Looking at the SLC it's about the same when it comes to strength of best wins.

My point? Throw out the Nicholls win over KU and Butler has as a better out of conference win than anyone in the SoCon or the SLC.

Furman, to their credit, went out and put together a strong OOC. They simply lost 1 too many to not put themselves in jeopardy to a committee that's inconsistent in how and who they select.

FWIW, I had Furman in.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2018, 08:43 AM
Peckerheads shouldn’t have lost to Villanova.

....YOUSE KNOW HOW IT IS....YER DUH KING UH LOST....NORFF DAKOTAH/NICHOLLS/LAMAR/I.W./ABILENE.......AWK!

BEAR
November 21st, 2018, 08:44 AM

Well that MYTH has been debunked. Secret ballots choose the teams not ONE GUY. Read the other thread. Besides, a 9-2 McNeese was left out last year. Talk about getting screwed. This crap happens every year. Teams get left out that either deserve/think they should be in. I didn't hear posters on here screaming about ONE GUY doing that to those teams. I've said all along that apart from our autobid that MAYBE Lamar should be in for their progress. I also think that UIW should be left at home and another team from another conference be in. But the voting was done by ALL the members of that committee not just one guy. He didn't have a say on their secret ballot. Knowing Teague he also didn't rally for his conference. IT sucked this year. Good news for upset posters here I believe his term runs out this year. Next year you guys can go back to screaming about how OTHER teams got left out and put your focus back on how the entire committee, and not just one guy, allegedly screwed YOUR team. xlolx

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2018, 09:05 AM
If you read to the bottom of the release, it is obvious that Wofford is the best team in the SoCon and Southland.xnodx As long as we are reading between the lines.

My only complaint is that the statement calls out UIW and Lamar. FU's beef is with the committee, not UIW, Lamar, or the Southland Conference.
You’re right. “Triumph over Wofford” was a poor word choice. He should have used “trouncing of Wofford,” instead. Typo, maybe?

Also, you’re right about the specific Teams ‘call-out.’ He should have included Sagarin’s #159 ranked Southeast Missouri State and his #181 ranked East Tennessee State as Teams which received At-Large bids, despite being ranked well below Furman. And, along with that, he should have included the OVC, along with the Southland Conference & the SoCon, in his last sentence.

And, finally, you are right once again. Following and even after their evisceration at the hands of Furman, I have no doubt that Wofford remains the 2nd best Team in the SoCon, the Southland, and the OVC...just 3 scores worse than Furman.

GO TERRIERS! BEAT THE FORMERLY FIGHTIN’ FORMER CHRISTIANS!!

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2018, 09:19 AM
Well that MYTH has been debunked. Secret ballots choose the teams not ONE GUY. Read the other thread. Besides, a 9-2 McNeese was left out last year. Talk about getting screwed. This crap happens every year. Teams get left out that either deserve/think they should be in. I didn't hear posters on here screaming about ONE GUY doing that to those teams. I've said all along that apart from our autobid that MAYBE Lamar should be in for their progress. I also think that UIW should be left at home and another team from another conference be in. But the voting was done by ALL the members of that committee not just one guy. He didn't have a say on their secret ballot. Knowing Teague he also didn't rally for his conference. IT sucked this year. Good news for upset posters here I believe his term runs out this year. Next year you guys can go back to screaming about how OTHER teams got left out and put your focus back on how the entire committee, and not just one guy, allegedly screwed YOUR team. xlolx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29552&stc=1....DEY'RE WAS ABSOLUTELAH...NO REASON FO' JAMES MADISON NOT TA GET UH SEED........'CEPTIN'......TA SAVE UH FLIGHT TA DELAWARE.........AN' COMMITTEE.....CAN SPIN DUH FACT.....MAINE WERE CHAMPS.....BUT DUCATS RULE KNUCKLE-DRAGGERAHS.........$$$$$$$.....KA-CHING..........BRAWK!

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 10:28 AM
I'm seeing a lot of praise for Massey. That should not be a thing. Massey gives you extra credit for blowouts and favors teams who have a degree of separation from the best teams in the country.

For example, according to Massey, Missouri is ranked like 11th in FBS. They aren't that good.

I'm on my phone at the moment and I'm not a math whiz, but there are flaws in Massey. When it comes to Forecasting, it's too bullish on it's predictions. For example, it gives KSU a 70% chance of beating Elon/Wofford. I think Kennesaw should be favored, but the degree of certainty should be much less high.

It's good for predicting outcomes, but not great when it comes to the edge cases with limited sampling IMO

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2018, 10:51 AM
Bottom line- there is NO system for picking,seeding, and making up playoff teams and brackets that is without flaws or critics. We will never be able to have a perfect system that pleases everyone. And there will always be multiple bitch threads on AGS this time of year.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 11:06 AM
Bottom line- there is NO system for picking,seeding, and making up playoff teams and brackets that is without flaws or critics. We will never be able to have a perfect system that pleases everyone. And there will always be multiple bitch threads on AGS this time of year.

Yep. We can't choose between an imperfect system and a perfect system. We choose between which imperfect system we think is best.

For what it's worth, I actually think 24 teams is a good number. Because we're splitting hairs over teams that are only a game above .500. I'd prefer that to splitting hairs over 8-3 teams in the power conferences any day.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2018, 11:38 AM
24 is probably the correct number of playoff teams in FCS. It gives us an extra week of football to enjoy than a 16 team system does and it keeps more teams and fans interested later in the season. There is no number of teams that will keep there from being complaints and issues with who got in. But we don’t need to increase it any more beyond 24- we don’t want teams with losing records to ever get playoff consideration. In FBS, there are so many bowls now that teams with losing records sometimes go to bowl games. I love bowl games and football in general and I’m all for a lot of football- but it just seems wrong to have a losing team in any kind of postseason game.

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 01:24 PM
You’re right. &#
Also, you’re right about the specific Teams ‘call-out.’ He should have included Sagarin’s #159 ranked Southeast Missouri State and his #181 ranked East Tennessee State as Teams which received At-Large bids, despite being ranked well below Furman...........

And, finally, you are right once again. Following and even after their evisceration at the hands of Furman, I have no doubt that Wofford remains the 2nd best Team in the SoCon, the Southland, and the OVC...just 3 scores worse than Furman.

GO TERRIERS! BEAT THE FORMERLY FIGHTIN’ FORMER CHRISTIANS!!

Except that I think ETSU had the same conf record as Furman, and, well, beat them H2H. They don't get pity bonus points because they were winning most of the game. They lost the game and any shot at the playoffs as a result.

End thread.

Catbooster
November 21st, 2018, 02:19 PM
But it still wouldn't prove that other teams, say ISUb or Furman, would have done better or "deserved" that spot more. It's all opinion.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2018, 02:39 PM
I still think the playoffs should be fewer teams and finish before Christmas. Furman doesn't belong in the post season. Neither do a bunch of teams that are in there.

Furman was punished for actually trying to schedule tough teams. The same Furman team is probably 9-2 with Wofford's schedule and 8-3 with ETSU's.

Again, none of that matters. I do hope Furman's AD takes the hints and stops trying to schedule better teams and instead just tries to get to the magic 8 wins. Apparently 8 wins is what you need to look shiny enough regardless of the caliber team you are playing.

Catbooster
November 21st, 2018, 02:41 PM
Yep. We can't choose between an imperfect system and a perfect system. We choose between which imperfect system we think is best.

For what it's worth, I actually think 24 teams is a good number. Because we're splitting hairs over teams that are only a game above .500. I'd prefer that to splitting hairs over 8-3 teams in the power conferences any day.

24 is probably the correct number of playoff teams in FCS. It gives us an extra week of football to enjoy than a 16 team system does and it keeps more teams and fans interested later in the season. There is no number of teams that will keep there from being complaints and issues with who got in. But we don’t need to increase it any more beyond 24- we don’t want teams with losing records to ever get playoff consideration. In FBS, there are so many bowls now that teams with losing records sometimes go to bowl games. I love bowl games and football in general and I’m all for a lot of football- but it just seems wrong to have a losing team in any kind of postseason game.

I agree that 24 is probably the right size for the field. Regardless of the size, there will be people here arguing over the last few in/out, but at 24 it's highly unlikely that those teams have a legitimate shot at the championship. Much more room for error in an imperfect system plus the befits woffordgrad mentions.

For those of you who think we should go back to 16 teams, here are the at-larges:

EWU (9-2), UCDavis (9-2), SDSU (8-2), JMU (8-3), SEMO (8-3), ETSU (8-3), MSU (7-4), UD (7-4), SBU (7-4), Towson (7-4), Lamar (7-4), Elon (6-4), IWU (6-4), UNI (6-5)

Which 6 would you keep? Which 8 would you cut out? Do you think we'd have less arguing over that? Would you trust the committee to get the right teams?

FUBeAR
November 21st, 2018, 03:19 PM
Except that I think ETSU had the same conf record as Furman, and, well, beat them H2H. They don't get pity bonus points because they were winning most of the game. They lost the game and any shot at the playoffs as a result.Also, the elevation of Johnson City, TN is greater than that of Travelers Rest, SC...which has almost as much to do with my post as the comments in your reply to it do.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 04:05 PM

Thank you for an objective post Bison Fan !!! Let’s see how Lamar and UIW hold up ... and then if the DAM committee AGAIN puts a ton of SLC teams in again - then we should all be angry. Why? Because it makes ALL of. FCS look bad for us to have a committee where they look like they don’t know what they are doing. If either of those last two teams loses by 25+ then the committee looks like it was biased. I saw Vegas had one as a 27.5 underdog. Good grief

Look guys. I am truly OBJECTIVE. Lamar and UIW could get there azz kicked this week and that doesn’t mean a great Lamar team (8-3?) NEXT year shouldn’t be in playoffs. It’s this years UIW and Lamar teams that Nobowls and AGS here didn’t think were in

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 04:42 PM
One. I havent looked but if we are 27 in Sagarin as you say then wouldnt that be TWENTY FOUR after taking out TWO ivies AND NC A&T??? Point Two. Using Sagarin at LEAST we would know where WE STAND ! Waiting for a committee to decide is so subjective it’s Crap.

THREE. - and this is the point most EVERYONE agreed with - Nobowls has us in. AGS (the best site of all) has us in. Two of three HERO guys had us in. The other guy said first team out. I AM FINE with not making the tourney but NO WAY are we not first three team out... basically ONLY OUR FCS committee said we weren’t even first three out. That’s where I lost respect for the committee.

Hear me, it’s not that Furman didn’t get in. I WANTED that. But I EXPECTED any committee worth a ShiznizLe would have Furman and Indiana State as first three out. No way does the big time March Madness committee not at least get it that close. That’s what told me our committee is junk. Furman Not first three out? Riiiiiiiight or a committee to decide is so subjective it’s Crap.

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 05:54 PM
Thank you for an objective post Bison Fan !!! Let’s see how Lamar and UIW hold up ... and then if the DAM committee AGAIN puts a ton of SLC teams in again - then we should all be angry. Why? Because it makes ALL of. FCS look bad for us to have a committee where they look like they don’t know what they are doing. If either of those last two teams loses by 25+ then the committee looks like it was biased. I saw Vegas had one as a 27.5 underdog. Good grief

Look guys. I am truly OBJECTIVE. Lamar and UIW could get there azz kicked this week and that doesn’t mean a great Lamar team (8-3?) NEXT year shouldn’t be in playoffs. It’s this years UIW and Lamar teams that Nobowls and AGS here didn’t think were in

Let's just see how they both do first. Then we can pontificate ad nauseam.

gofurman
November 21st, 2018, 06:24 PM
Let's just see how they both do first. Then we can pontificate ad nauseam.

Isn’t the point of Internet boards to pontificate? If we just WAIT for game results why even have an Internet board??!

semobison
November 21st, 2018, 07:04 PM
One. I havent looked but if we are 27 in Sagarin as you say then wouldnt that be TWENTY FOUR after taking out TWO ivies AND NC A&T??? Point Two. Using Sagarin at LEAST we would know where WE STAND ! Waiting for a committee to decide is so subjective it’s Crap.

THREE. - and this is the point most EVERYONE agreed with - Nobowls has us in. AGS (the best site of all) has us in. Two of three HERO guys had us in. The other guy said first team out. I AM FINE with not making the tourney but NO WAY are we not first three team out... basically ONLY OUR FCS committee said we weren’t even first three out. That’s where I lost respect for the committee.

Hear me, it’s not that Furman didn’t get in. I WANTED that. But I EXPECTED any committee worth a ShiznizLe would have Furman and Indiana State as first three out. No way does the big time March Madness committee not at least get it that close. That’s what told me our committee is junk. Furman Not first three out? Riiiiiiiight or a committee to decide is so subjective it’s Crap.

Furman is 30th if you include the Ivies and NC A&T.
I thought both ISUb and Furman deserved playoff spots. Both teams finished the season on winning streaks.