PDA

View Full Version : Drake v. Iowa State

JayJ79
November 20th, 2018, 05:23 PM
So the SDSU @ Iowa State season-opening game was canceled due to weather, so ISU scheduled a conditional makeup game against Incarnate Word.
Now since UIW made the FCS playoffs (thus creating the possibility that they could win their game this week and advance to a second round game next week, preventing them from playing at ISU), Iowa State has canceled that game, and scheduled a replacement replacement game vs. Drake.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-state-cyclones/iowa-state-football-game-drake-fcs-incarnate-word-replacement-date-time-20181120

Nothing like a Big 12 football team playing against a non-scholarship team.

Fun fact, Drake won the last matchup against Iowa State. (back in 1985 when Drake was still I-A)

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Does Iowa State drop a Benjamin on the scoreboard?

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

Laker
November 20th, 2018, 05:28 PM
~Hmmm. What if there is a blizzard on Dec. 1 and the game is cancelled?

bonarae
November 20th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Wow. Very late schedule change indeed.

What do you think will be the O/U for this? Maybe a 50 something-zero drubbing? xsmhx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2018, 05:54 PM
If Iowa State played their starters for the whole game Drake wouldn't sniff 50 yards of offense.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Wow. Very late schedule change indeed.
Makes sense in some ways. Drake had their game cancelled due to that same storm (thus leaving them with 10 games, and the ability to add this one). ISU has 6 wins and are thus bowl eligible, which is good because playing against a non-scholly team doesn't count toward bowl eligibility.
Instead of having to wait to see if IW was available to play in this game (which wouldn't be known for certain until Saturday night), they went with a sure thing.

If Iowa State played their starters for the whole game Drake wouldn't sniff 50 yards of offense.
I doubt the starters play more than a quarter (though some might sit out if they are nursing injuries). They'll be able to play their whole roster, especially with the new redshirt rule.

dbackjon
November 20th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Incarnate Word was the one that pulled out - Iowa State was willing to wait to see if UIW lost to Montana State, but UIW decided that if they lost to Montana State, season over.

Laker
November 20th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I heard that if Virginia Tech beats Virginia that they will host Marshall the next week. And if they don't they won't.

Preferred Walk-On
November 20th, 2018, 07:50 PM
So the SDSU @ Iowa State season-opening game was canceled due to weather, so ISU scheduled a conditional makeup game against Incarnate Word.
Now since UIW made the FCS playoffs (thus creating the possibility that they could win their game this week and advance to a second round game next week, preventing them from playing at ISU), Iowa State has canceled that game, and scheduled a replacement replacement game vs. Drake.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-state-cyclones/iowa-state-football-game-drake-fcs-incarnate-word-replacement-date-time-20181120

Nothing like a Big 12 football team playing against a non-scholarship team.

Fun fact, Drake won the last matchup against Iowa State. (back in 1985 when Drake was still I-A)

Should have scheduled North Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTfan4life
November 21st, 2018, 03:00 AM
Incarnate Word was the one that pulled out - Iowa State was willing to wait to see if UIW lost to Montana State, but UIW decided that if they lost to Montana State, season over.

Wouldn't that be a weird way to end a season? Lose in the first round of the playoffs, come back home, and gear up to play a top 25 FBS team!

When's the last time someone from the Pioneer played a P5 team?

I wish they would have called Furman!

JayJ79
November 21st, 2018, 06:14 AM
Travel costs (and most likely the guarantee money) is quite a bit lower having Drake make the 37 mile trip as opposed to bringing in Furman.

ElCid
November 21st, 2018, 06:47 AM

If Furman played and won, they could still make the playoffs....right?xlolx

Model Citizen
November 21st, 2018, 08:15 AM

Taking a look at the NCAA FB Records Book, I see that Drake was actually I-AA in 1985. Iowa State was not a good football team back then.

JacksFan40
November 21st, 2018, 10:15 AM
We get to see a FCS non scholarship team go up against a Top 25 FBS team, seems fair.
Why are the Cyclones even scheduling this? They’ve already got 6 wins and will be in a bowl game, just trying to make it to 7?

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2018, 10:47 AM
Why are the Cyclones even scheduling this? They’ve already got 6 wins and will be in a bowl game, just trying to make it to 7?

$

Kemo
November 21st, 2018, 10:49 AM
We get to see a FCS non scholarship team go up against a Top 25 FBS team, seems fair.
They have to reimburse the cost of tickets for the SDSU game if they don't reschedule another one. That's a lot of money to loss even for an FBS team. Also, they still had to pay SDSU for the cancelled game, so they are even more in the hole than they normally would be.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2018, 10:57 AM
I heard that if Virginia Tech beats Virginia that they will host Marshall the next week. And if they don't they won't.
Is this perhaps an attempt by VT for bowl eligibility? I guess they figure if they lose to Virginia they can’t make a bowl anyway so why bother with the Marshall game?

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2018, 11:22 AM
When's the last time someone from the Pioneer played a P5 team?

If it's not Drake, I'll go with Davidson vs. Vanderbilt, 1969, the year the Wildcats went to the Tangerine (Citrus, Capital One, etc.) Bowl.

Model Citizen
November 21st, 2018, 01:08 PM
No one in the Pioneer has ever played a P5 team. How about schools that joined the PFL later? The answer is Drake, with the 1985 win over Iowa State.

Back then cfb had more of a Power 6 and a half...with the Southwest Conference and several strong independents.

dbackjon
November 21st, 2018, 01:12 PM
Is this perhaps an attempt by VT for bowl eligibility? I guess they figure if they lose to Virginia they can’t make a bowl anyway so why bother with the Marshall game?

Correct. They have 4 wins now. Beating UVA would put them at 5-6, needing the 6th win to go bowling.

JayJ79
November 21st, 2018, 07:28 PM
Taking a look at the NCAA FB Records Book, I see that Drake was actually I-AA in 1985. Iowa State was not a good football team back then.
that's what I get for believing something written in a newspaper article.
FAKE NEWS!

dewey
November 21st, 2018, 10:42 PM
~Hmmm. What if there is a blizzard on Dec. 1 and the game is cancelled?

Now that would be funny.

Dewey

97Torero
November 22nd, 2018, 12:35 AM
San Diego did play San Diego State a few years ago and lost by 4 touchdowns. But that’s a group of not power 5 game

clenz
November 23rd, 2018, 10:41 AM
They have to reimburse the cost of tickets for the SDSU game if they don't reschedule another one. That's a lot of money to loss even for an FBS team. Also, they still had to pay SDSU for the cancelled game, so they are even more in the hole than they normally would be.It's a bit deeper than that for the money side of it, but it's accurate.

Iowa State has already spent/allocated every single penny through 2024 of their B12 media deal. They have zero room to not make money when they can.

They'll sell a 10 oz cup of weakly made hot chocolate or coffee for $10 and sell tens of thousands of them. Plus parking and other concessions

It's all about money

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Schism55
November 23rd, 2018, 11:17 AM
It's a bit deeper than that for the money side of it, but it's accurate.

Iowa State has already spent/allocated every single penny through 2024 of their B12 media deal. They have zero room to not make money when they can.

They'll sell a 10 oz cup of weakly made hot chocolate or coffee for $10 and sell tens of thousands of them. Plus parking and other concessions

It's all about money

This here ^
Thoughts on what they might get for attendance for this game?

DFW HOYA
November 23rd, 2018, 12:18 PM
This here ^
Thoughts on what they might get for attendance for this game?

Iowa State have some loyal fans. Assuming the weather is reasonable (for Iowa in December), I'd guess 51,000.

clenz
November 23rd, 2018, 01:08 PM
Iowa State have some loyal fans. Assuming the weather is reasonable (for Iowa in December), I'd guess 51,000.This is accurate. They tend to draw well.

It's a novelty game against a school 30 minutes away. It'll do well enough to still make money and make playing this game the "right" decision

Model Citizen
November 23rd, 2018, 02:57 PM
It's a novelty game against a school 30 minutes away.
The circus is coming to town.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2018, 07:14 PM
What are the odds that the ink was dry on this deal before November 17th?

Model Citizen
November 23rd, 2018, 11:28 PM
It started in September, after weather cancelled separate games for Iowa State and Nebraska. Drake's AD posted a jokey tweet that the two should meet on neutral ground (Des Moines) for the "Bulldog Bowl" ...to ensure a 12th game for each team. He was probably half-serious.

An hour later, he gets a call from his counterpart at Iowa State, who suggested ISU-Drake instead. The plan got sidetracked when the NCAA denied the Cyclones a waiver from their six-win (over scholarship teams) bowl eligibility requirement. However, once ISU met the requirement, they were probably happy to see IW bow out.

DFW HOYA
November 26th, 2018, 11:53 AM
H/t: PFL Message Board (pflfan.proboards.com)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0690/5113/products/23015_5bf87739075c58.84252583_Were-Availabowl-Mock-Front_20Blue-06_20New_e2b3b797-496b-4311-bf62-4237bb2433e2_1500x.jpg?v=1543011344

The Boogie Down
November 26th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Wasn't there an off-season thread here about some 90 year old guy who has been following Drake since the 1930s? Anyone remember that? Would love to see what he thinks of his team taking on a P-5.

clenz
November 26th, 2018, 12:33 PM
He died almost 2 years ago

The Boogie Down
November 26th, 2018, 12:41 PM
That sucks, very sorry to hear that.

Model Citizen
November 26th, 2018, 01:12 PM
He died almost 2 years ago

Almost a year ago. The anniversary of his death (at age 100) will be the day before the game.

Despite the scholarship mismatch, I'm sure he'd love to see Drake play the Cyclones one more time.

grayghost06
December 1st, 2018, 12:11 PM
Coffee Cakes tied at 14 w/ Iowa St halfway thru the 2nd quarter

ETSUfan1
December 1st, 2018, 12:42 PM
Unreal. Go Drake!

SeattleBobcat
December 1st, 2018, 12:52 PM
Drake is straight up owning Iowa St right now, unreal.

JacksFan40
December 1st, 2018, 12:59 PM
Imagine if a team that didn’t even make the playoffs manages to beat the 23rd best team in the FBS it’d be unreal. GO DRAKE!!

kdinva
December 1st, 2018, 01:12 PM
Drake has taken the lead on the so called #23 team in FBS........24-20; 3:36 in 3rd.....

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 1st, 2018, 01:13 PM
Haha.

This is great.

ST_Lawson
December 1st, 2018, 01:20 PM
I think the Cyclones are regretting dropping IWU right about now.
How much damage does this do to their bowl game potential if they actually end up losing? (I know they're in a bowl game regardless due to their wins, but it could be a much worse bowl game than they expected).

kdinva
December 1st, 2018, 01:23 PM
ISU scores; lead 27-24.....still in 3rd...

grayghost06
December 1st, 2018, 01:26 PM
Regardless of how this turns out, this has been awesome for Drake. Hang tough guys and shock the world.

JacksFan40
December 1st, 2018, 01:40 PM
Even if Drake loses, they still win in a way. They get a huge payout and get some national recognition for taking a ranked FBS to the wire.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2018, 01:42 PM
Wtf.

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 1st, 2018, 01:58 PM
What was the holding call legitimate?

Model Citizen
December 1st, 2018, 02:03 PM
Classy video presented at halftime, highlighting the previous 69 games in the series. Also, a tribute to Paul Morrison.

kdinva
December 1st, 2018, 02:03 PM
Cyclones win by 3.......they'll be getting grief about this for days on twitter, etc.....

JacksFan40
December 1st, 2018, 02:04 PM
Iowa State survives 27-24, though I’d say it’s more of a loss.
Great job representing the FCS Drake!!!

JayJ79
December 1st, 2018, 03:27 PM
I think the Cyclones are regretting dropping IWU right about now.
How much damage does this do to their bowl game potential if they actually end up losing? (I know they're in a bowl game regardless due to their wins, but it could be a much worse bowl game than they expected).
People have told me that it was IWU that cancelled the game (since they made the playoffs) and not Iowa State. (whether those people are correct or not, I don't know).

The Boogie Down
December 1st, 2018, 03:56 PM
I wish this thread had more comments. Drake was a 43 point underdog. Oh and a 28 1/2 halftime dog! To have a late 3rd quarter lead and to later have the ball in FG position to win/tie late in the 4th is pretty damn sick. Almost the single greatest FCS upset of 'em all!

Still sad tho that 100 year old poster is no longer around. Can only imagine all the comments he woulda had for this one!

Go...gate
December 1st, 2018, 04:00 PM
Nice job by Drake!

Model Citizen
December 1st, 2018, 07:03 PM
Paul Morrison never posted here, or on any other message board that I know of. He talked to people face to face.

PeacockRaider
December 1st, 2018, 10:02 PM
Couldn't believe this score. Wish they could of pulled it off but a great job by Drake, something they will remember the rest of their lives.

97Torero
December 1st, 2018, 10:21 PM
As a realist, I understand where the pioneer league fits into the grand scheme of things. I’m always proud of the toreros for the success they have and firmly believe they can be competitive in the first round of playoffs, but also understand that the 2nd round is where the separation truley becomes evident.
Drake today was oddly similar too San Diego beating cal poly a couple years ago. Weather is the great equalizer.
Congrats to all the play off teams. Congrats to Drake in what was their playoff. That was a great performance.

Model Citizen
December 2nd, 2018, 12:12 PM
Perhaps channeling "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29," a Des Moines sportswriter praised Drake's effort. He wrote:

To blame this loss all on Iowa State would be unfair, because the Bulldogs looked the part from the opening whistle.

kcci.com/article/isu-survives-drakes-upset-bid-27-24/25368640

CHIP72
December 2nd, 2018, 12:32 PM
Though Iowa State will receive endless grief for their close call against a non-scholarship DI-AA school, I'm glad to see Iowa State was willing to play a team practically in their backyard. (I personally don't care much for games between college teams at different classifications unless they are in the same metropolitan area/very close to each other.)

This game's result has some strong echoes of the Vanderbilt/Tennessee State game earlier this season (which Vandy won by 3-4 points over a DI-AA school also based in Nashville).

KnightoftheRedFlash
December 2nd, 2018, 01:30 PM
Iowa State still stayed in the CFP Top 25. Ridiculous.

FUBeAR
December 2nd, 2018, 01:34 PM
Iowa State still stayed in the CFP Top 25. Ridiculous.
Yep...but I fixed it for them...

College Football Playoff rankings: Final Top 25

Alabama: 13-0
Clemson: 13-0
Notre Dame: 12-0
Oklahoma: 12-1
Georgia: 11-2
Ohio State: 12-1
Michigan: 10-2
UCF: 12-0
Washington: 10-3
Florida: 9-3
LSU: 9-3
Penn State: 9-3
Washington State: 10-2
Kentucky: 9-3
Texas: 9-4
West Virginia: 8-3
Utah: 9-4
Mississippi State: 8-4
Texas A&M: 8-4
Syracuse: 9-3
Fresno State: 11-2
Northwestern: 8-5
Missouri: 8-4
Iowa State: 8-4
Drake: 8-3

Model Citizen
December 2nd, 2018, 02:47 PM
I'd put NC State ahead of Iowa State. There is a slim chance the two will meet in a bowl. Wolfpack coach Dave Doeren, a Drake alum, would finish off Iowa State.

Model Citizen
December 2nd, 2018, 09:30 PM
Iowa State gets Washington State. Good matchup.