DB Brandon Dowdell, Chattanooga
DB Kareem Orr, Chattanooga

First team special teams
PK Grayson Atkins, Furman
P Matthew Campbell, The Citadel
RS Dejuan Bell, Furman

ElCid
November 20th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Campbell is an awesome punter. A Freshman to boot. He is money at dribbling it out of bounds inside the 10.

ETSUfan1
November 20th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Guessing the Furman fans may be a little upset with freshman of the year...

ETSU goes from 4 all conference selections to leading the SoCon with 14.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 02:32 PM

I don't quite get how they got that many but I respect it. Wofford only got like 7

ETSUfan1
November 20th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Surprised Holmes was first team RB.

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 02:47 PM

the FULL list: (I would rather have 7 second team guys than 2 first team guys... its a TEAM sport)

Again, objective, I actually DON'T think the victors should get the all-conference votes because this listing should be about singular players. For instance Miles Brown should be on there even if Wofford lost another SoCon game and didn't make the playoffs.

2018 Coaches All-Southern Conference Football Team
Offensive Player of the Year – Devlin Hodges, Samford, R-Sr., QB
Defensive Player of the Year – Isaiah Mack, Chattanooga, Sr., DL
Freshman of the Year – Quay Holmes, ETSU, RB
Jacobs Blocking Award – Matt Pyke, ETSU, Sr., OL
Coach of the Year – Randy Sanders, ETSU

First team offense

QB Devlin Hodges, Samford
RB Quay Holmes, ETSU
RB Andre Stoddard, Wofford
OL Tyler Davis, The Citadel
OL Matt Pyke, ETSU
OL Bo Layton, Furman
OL Zach Weeks, Western Carolina
OL Justus Basinger, Wofford
TE Owen Cosenke, Western Carolina
WR Kelvin McKnight, Samford
WR Bryce Nunnelly, Chattanooga

First team defense

DL Nasir Player, ETSU
DL Ahmad Gooden, Samford
DL Isaiah Mack, Chattanooga
DL Miles Brown, Wofford
LB Noah Dawkins, The Citadel
LB Jared Folks, ETSU
LB Dylan Weigel, ETSU
DB Aron Spann III, The Citadel
DB Tyree Robinson, ETSU

First team special teams

RS Dejuan Bell, Furman

Second team offense

QB Tyrie Adams, Western Carolina
RB Tee Mitchell, Mercer
RB Lennox McAfee, Wofford
OL Andy Godwin, Furman
OL Austin Sanders, Mercer
OL Antwan Johnson, Samford
OL Noah Ramsey, Chattanooga
OL Cole Strange, Chattanooga
TE Evan Wick, ETSU
WR Marquise Irvin, Mercer
WR Chris Shelling, Samford

Second team defense

DL Joseph Randolph II, The Citadel
DL Tremond Ferrell, ETSU
DL Jaylan Reid, Furman
DL Derek Mahaffey, Chattanooga
DL Thad Mangum, Wofford
LB Adrian Hope, Furman
LB LeMarkus Bailey, Mercer
LB Aaron Harris, Samford
LB Marshall Cooper, Chattanooga
DB Jeremy Lewis, ETSU
DB Aaquil Annoor, Furman
DB Marvin Tillman, Western Carolina
DB JoJo Tillery, Wofford

Second team special teams

PK JJ Jerman, ETSU
P Luke Carter, Wofford
RS Rohan Martin, VMI

All-Freshman Offense

Haden Haas, The Citadel
Clay Harris, The Citadel
Quay Holmes, ETSU
Jacob Saylors, ETSU
Tremond Shorts, ETSU
Corey Watkins, Furman
David Durden, Mercer
Robert Riddle, Mercer
DeMarcus Ware, Samford
Marshall Gill, VMI
Jakob Herres, VMI

All-Freshman Defense

Chris Beverly, The Citadel
Mason Kinsey, The Citadel
Adrian Hope, Furman
Nathan East, Samford
Nelson Jordan, Samford
Jordan Montgomery, Samford
Devonnsha Maxwell, Chattanooga
Ethan Caselberry, VMI
Brett Howell, VMI
Colin Loftis, VMI
Ronald Kent Jr., Western Carolina

All-Freshman Special Teams

Matthew Campbell, The Citadel
Quay Holmes, ETSU
Dejuan Bell, Furman
Mitchell Fineran, Samford

smallcollegefbfan
November 20th, 2018, 02:50 PM
soooo. ... the FCS NATIONAL leader in sacks with FIFTEEN SACKS (Adrian Hope) isn't on the list for his own all-conference >?

and Furman has only THREE guys on the list - two special teamers - so ONE guy on the offense and defense? this isn't the biggest deal to me but they usually go with 'to the victors go the spoils'. Apparently winning the SoCon didn't do anything for Furman. At .. All.

Again, objective, I actually DON'T think the victors should get the all-conference votes because this listing should be about singular players. For instance Miles Brown should be on there even if Wofford lost another SoCon game and didn't make the playoffs.

******** I ask this for real - Of course, if Furman is this LOW on talent shouldn't Hendrix win coach of the year?? I mean, logically, we had only ONE guy get an offense or defense get an award.. while ETSU had FOURTEEN . Say that again. ETSU had 14 studs. Furman had ONE. And yet we tied for conference champs ! That's an automatic win for doing a WAAAAY better coaching job by Hendrix. Logically you have to either give Hendrix the coaching award OR say he had more talent than was listed. Because if you can win the conference with ONE guy out of 22 awards.. you ARE the best coach . Thoughts on that? (and I get it, I know what a phenomenal job Sanders did at winning the conference at ETSU - I think that's great !!). This isn't an ANTI-ETSU thing. It's just a LOGIC thing.

Media gave you guys a lot more selections. 6 total on the media list with the LB making 1st team.

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2018, 02:50 PM
So...the only RB in the conference to get close to 1,000 yards & the conference leader in rushing in conference-only stats is no better than the 6th best RB in the conference?

Jeez....”I’ll take Incarnate Word for $100, Bob”

I fear that some 2019 SoCon Defensive Players are going to have to pay the 5-8/233+ wrecking ball price for that snub.

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2018, 02:53 PM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211781426

2018 Coaches All-Southern Conference Football Team
Offensive Player of the Year – Devlin Hodges, Samford, R-Sr., QB
Defensive Player of the Year – Isaiah Mack, Chattanooga, Sr., DL
Freshman of the Year – Quay Holmes, ETSU, RB
Jacobs Blocking Award – Matt Pyke, ETSU, Sr., OL
Coach of the Year – Randy Sanders, ETSU

First team offense
QB Devlin Hodges, Samford
RB Quay Holmes, ETSU
RB Andre Stoddard, Wofford
OL Tyler Davis, The Citadel
OL Matt Pyke, ETSU
OL Bo Layton, Furman
OL Zach Weeks, Western Carolina
OL Justus Basinger, Wofford
TE Owen Cosenke, Western Carolina
WR Kelvin McKnight, Samford
WR Bryce Nunnelly, Chattanooga

First team defense
DL Nasir Player, ETSU
DL Ahmad Gooden, Samford
DL Isaiah Mack, Chattanooga
DL Miles Brown, Wofford
LB Noah Dawkins, The Citadel
LB Jared Folks, ETSU
LB Dylan Weigel, ETSU
DB Aron Spann III, The Citadel
DB Tyree Robinson, ETSU

First team special teams
RS Dejuan Bell, Furman

........OWN-LAH THREE FURMANS...xconfusedx.......WHIFF ALL DUH PALADIN PHILABUSTERS......AH'D UH THUNK.....DEY'D.....HAVE 22....xdontknowx.....BRAWK!.

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I am editing my post a little - I didn't realize we were missing second team.

- - - Updated - - -

........OWN-LAH THREE FURMANS...xconfusedx.......WHIFF ALL DUH PALADIN PHILABUSTERS......AH'D UH THUNK.....DEY'D.....HAVE 22....xdontknowx.....BRAWK!.

Chicken - no, we are logical. Logically if we have NO talent as they say then shouldn't OUR coach win coach of the year for winning the SoCon along with Wofford and ETSU ???

though I admit, I thought there was just the first team.... now that I see 2nd teamers - who I am big on listing two teams .. it makes more sense.

Only thing I would ask (ask Wofford) is these list don't seem to respect RBs who can catch out of the backfield. Morehead or Wynn should have gotten serious consideration as they are big to Furman success as they catch the ball out of the backfield - and not just basic throws.. sometimes they slip out of the backfield and beat LBs for TDs... we spread the ball around running but these guys can catch and I don't think the league has progressed to figuring out how important that is to some offenses.. LOL good grief.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Worth mentioning that part of the reason why you don't see much Wofford defensive side is because the style of play we have now. We rotate 25-28 players on defense, according to our DC. If you look at the tackling numbers, there's only 3 terriers in the top 50 of the conference (you would expect 6 if there was an equal distribution among all teams).

When you have that many players rotating in and out and your offense plays a run-first strategy, the opportunity to impress with the stats is limited. Wofford has the #1 total defense in the conference in both conference games and the entire season. You'd think they have more players on that list, but it's totally understandable with the above in mind.

PaladinNation
November 20th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Mr. Chicken is a TROLL.

As a Paladin fan, I'll take what we get…
Much like Wofford, we spread the ball around,
plus our offense was a train wreck for the first half of the season.
I'm actually surprised Bo Layton was first-team.

I guess my only issue is Elijah McKoy.
I think McKoy has some merit to make at least the second squad.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Mr. Chicken is not a troll

He's an aesthetic. Never change!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Mr. Chicken is a TROLL.

As a Paladin fan, I'll take what we get…
Much like Wofford, we spread the ball around,
plus our offense was a train wreck for the first half of the season.
I'm actually surprised Bo Layton was first-team.

I guess my only issue is Elijah McKoy.
I think McKoy has some merit to make at least the second squad.

Good post PaladinNation.

I agree that Furman and Wofford have schemes where it can be hard for the offense skill guys to get video game numbers because we both spread the ball around. Furman has tailbacks Morehead and Wynn and Watkins all getting carries now ( though Morehead never appeared much in the last games - gimpy?)

Yeah. I would have to think through but McKoy is a stud. I would think he has to be close on voting as a LB. He was preseason all conference. So was Thomas Gordon. Preseason all conferbce At WR and now top ten in receiving yards all time at FU with a year to go. Gordon will have a shot to be our all time receiving yards leader in history !!

ElCid
November 20th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Worth mentioning that part of the reason why you don't see much Wofford defensive side is because the style of play we have now. We rotate 25-28 players on defense, according to our DC. If you look at the tackling numbers, there's only 3 terriers in the top 50 of the conference (you would expect 6 if there was an equal distribution among all teams).

When you have that many players rotating in and out and your offense plays a run-first strategy, the opportunity to impress with the stats is limited. Wofford has the #1 total defense in the conference in both conference games and the entire season. You'd think they have more players on that list, but it's totally understandable with the above in mind.

Exactly. Our numbers were not that good rushing this year, but a couples ago when we were ripping up the field, we had a lot of guys with a good amount of yards but no real standouts. It's a team sport and our guys get rotated a lot. I kind of like that in if we have injuries, it is no big deal. Next man up steps up.

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Campbell is an awesome punter. A Freshman to boot. He is money at dribbling it out of bounds inside the 10.
I see what you did there.

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2018, 05:32 PM
They'd have more...

But Colgate Cancelled on them. :D

gofurman
November 20th, 2018, 06:16 PM
They'd have more...

But Colgate Cancelled on them. :D

LOL. sadly there is some truth in your good humor. Hard to get stats when you play one less game. Like I said we had the NATION’S sack leadr with 15 this year. And he did it in only 10 games. Give him another game it’s probably 16.o 17 sacks. All the numbers for everyone go up

No biggie. It’s a team sport

Funny that in one poll (coaches or media - can’t recall which) only TWO teams didn’t get a player on first team Offense.

The only two teams with no offensive first team players ? Furman who won the SoCon and VMI who won one game all year. Hmm. I guess them coaches at Furman must be awesome to do all that with No talent

PaladinNation
November 20th, 2018, 07:34 PM

He's an irritating aesthetic… in this case >> IMO a TROLL.

Thinking about your attribute of Mr. Chicken's character.
A survivor of multiple art history and aesthetic classes not sure I would call Mr. Chicken an icon of beauty.

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2018, 08:36 PM
.......TROLL.......WHAA THANKY......FO' DUH RECOGNITION......SOME HOLLYWOOD AGENT ONCE SAID......ALL PUBLICITY....IS GOOD PUBLICITY.............BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2018, 08:44 PM

this

dungeonjoe
November 21st, 2018, 07:26 AM
He's an irritating aesthetic… in this case >> IMO a TROLL.

Thinking about your attribute of Mr. Chicken's character.
A survivor of multiple art history and aesthetic classes not sure I would call Mr. Chicken an icon of beauty.

a comparison
Mr. Chicken Paladin Nation aka Henery Hawk
years on AGS 18 9
posts 20,745 469
wit/wisdom priceless questionable

I tangled with Mr. Chicken in 2003 when Delaware and Wofford collided; I was very much a youngin' on this board then. Mr. Chicken has always been a steady presence on this board in all kinds chaos here. He is not the homer that many others are here and speaks a good word in an entertaining way.

Listen to Mr. Chicken or as Foghorn would say: As senior rooster ’round here, it’s my duty, and my pleasure, to instruct junior roosters in the ancient art of roostery”

PaladinNation
November 21st, 2018, 07:35 AM
a comparison
Mr. Chicken Paladin Nation aka Henery Hawk
years on AGS 18 9
posts 20,745 469
wit/wisdom priceless questionable

I tangled with Mr. Chicken in 2003 when Delaware and Wofford collided; I was very much a youngin' on this board then. Mr. Chicken has always been a steady presence on this board in all kinds chaos here. He is not the homer that many others are here and speaks a good word in an entertaining way.

Listen to Mr. Chicken or as Foghorn would say: As senior rooster ’round here, it’s my duty, and my pleasure, to instruct junior roosters in the ancient art of roostery”

Big fan of Foghorn Leghorn… I'll admit that I'm a bit raw over being pummeled as a Furman fan that we whine, bitch, and moan all the time. All passionate fans fall into this trap. In the end, I'm a fan of FCS football - and I believe in SoCon Football. This Furman fan won't go sit in the corner sucking his thumb waiting for next season. I'll pull for the Terriers and the Bucs might even head over to Sparkle City to watch the Terriers roll the Phoenix.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2018, 07:37 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29550&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29551&stc=1

dungeonjoe
November 21st, 2018, 07:41 AM
Big fan of Foghorn Leghorn… I'll admit that I'm a bit raw over being pummeled as a Furman fan that we whine, bitch, and moan all the time. All passionate fans fall into this trap. In the end, I'm a fan of FCS football - and I believe in SoCon Football. This Furman fan won't go sit in the corner sucking his thumb waiting for next season. I'll pull for the Terriers and the Bucs might even head over to Sparkle City to watch the Terriers roll the Phoenix.

The thing I find is that for all the chest-beating, gloating, whining, and moaning we do on this board, thank God the game is settled on the field...whether we like it or not. Our teams' success on the field is not helped one bit by messageboard passion or erudition. Hang in there, next year will be here before you know it.

PaladinNation
November 21st, 2018, 07:50 AM
^^^ dungeonjoe — your comment got me thinking. I think what really frustrates me is - how quickly the season ends. This was a weird season for Furman the QB shuffle of the early season, the canceled game, then finally getting it together. And then it's over.

dungeonjoe
November 21st, 2018, 09:29 AM
^^^ dungeonjoe — your comment got me thinking. I think what really frustrates me is - how quickly the season ends. This was a weird season for Furman the QB shuffle of the early season, the canceled game, then finally getting it together. And then it's over.
One day, over a cold beverage, we can discuss how the nature of football is a shadow of life.

dungeonjoe
November 21st, 2018, 09:32 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29550&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29551&stc=1
Son, I say son...I wish we could count how many Henery Hawks have come and gone from this messageboard since 2003; some really good ones have stayed.

- - - Updated - - -

Son, I say son...I wish we could count how many Henery Hawks have come and gone from this messageboard since 2003; some really good ones have stayed.

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2018, 10:01 AM
Socon football will be back soon. All it needs is a team other than Wofford to demonstrate consistency and winning more than 1 playoff game.

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2018, 09:24 PM
Adrian Hope highlights. Nice to see a compilation of his greatest hits and see how special a player he is.

The play at 0:56 against gives you a pretty good idea of what a freak this kid is. Hope fakes hard on an outside rush, cuts hard inside, and then drags Nick Tiano down with one arm. Tiano is listed at 6'5 240.

A QB typically needs just under 3 seconds to get off a throw. Hope is on you in 2. He isn't a big guy, but to fight off a 300 lbs OT with one arm and pull down a 240 lbs QB with the other, you gotta be strong as a bull ox.

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1065393015378735104 (https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1065393015378735104)

gofurman
November 22nd, 2018, 01:38 AM

This is a good post

i think its why FU fans may seem a little salty. LOL. It was just weird this year. . QB shuffle. Not looking good at all. Then.a cancelled game. Finally get our QB and things are looking up... Then Roberts is hurt and we lose to Samford. But win 6 of last 7 and tie For the Socon TITLE !! Players get championship rings ... '2018" goes on field house as another Championship year ...and then ,,,,,No playoffs.

I've been watching Furman since 91 and this was one of the most up and down years ever

oh well. Things are looking up. I'll do a post on my guesses at 2019 SoCon soon