PDA

View Full Version : Which Poll was closest??? Actual 24 teams VERSUS various Polls

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Someone did a great job of this before with all prior data. Someone compared the actual 24 teams selected in past few years vs AGS and STATS and COCAHES poll.

Would love to see that again please ?? And add this year

I am on a mobile device so all I can do is copy this years links but it's scary how close the committee follows the Coaches and STATS poll where we know it's 'slot voting' (I think that's what you all mean when you say that). I mean That a team starts ranked top ten and goes 7-4 and is ranked 17th. Another team starts unranked gives 7-4 vs SAME competition and finishes ranked in ORV or 25th.

STATS. http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs
COCAHES. https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

Look at the final STATS and COACHES polls I attached -- eerily close to what the committee chose for the bubble teams. Now the Seeds (no JMU, KSU at 4) the committee chose exactly don't match the polls ....

Thoughts ??? Would be interested in what you all think

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Or do I have it backwards ? I very well may! What time did these final polls come out? Did they come out after the selection committee. ?

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 08:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/jemcgQo.png

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Bitching is DESERVED if the committee just takes a slot vote poll and copies it. If that's the case why even have a committee ?? Just slot in the COACHES 24 teams - the coaches who don't pay attention to ***** from what I can tell.

One week the coaches poll had the wrong records by some teams and didn't even move someone after a bad loss. If that's all the committee does - copy a poll- then no need to waste money on having a 'committee'. Just use a computer to arrange geographic match ups at that point

my question is valid. Earlier in year someone compared final polls to actual playoff 24 teams selected. AGS was best. This year it appears the committee leaned toward the COACHES and STATS polls. Which are HORRIBLE. They are. We all know it.

If those 2 polls satisfy you as well-researched polls then you are very easily appeased

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2018, 09:09 PM
They haven't released the final regular season coach's poll yet. While that link says it's the coaches poll it's identical to the STATS poll and has 155 voters (coaches poll should only have 26). Once they release the Coach's poll I'll put together a comparison of all 3. Between the STATS and AGS polls the STATS poll did better predicting the at large but the AGS poll did better with the seeded teams and seed lines.

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2018, 09:16 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cx500d again.

caribbeanhen
November 18th, 2018, 09:17 PM
polls should not be judged by how close they get the playoff teams and who gets the 8 seeds, if that were the case we would be saying the comittee always gets it right

gofurman
November 18th, 2018, 11:31 PM
. polls should not be judged by how close they get the playoff teams and who gets the 8 seeds, if that were the case we would be saying the comittee always gets it right

You have a point. Touché'

But it was still interesting as CXD did it before just to,see which poll most accurately predicted which teams get in the playoffs

I see your point though - maybe the takeaway is different. Still interesting to compare

***. Thanks professor chaos for doing this !!!!!!

RootinFerDukes
November 23rd, 2018, 12:42 PM
I think comparison like this are pointless. Just because they're the 24 teams in the field doesn't mean the seeding is correct, that they're worthy of ranking or that they even deserve to be in the field.

This year's bracket is probably the worst they've ever put out. There were easily 5-10 different face palm-ingly bad mistakes throughout the bracket. It truly is a dumpster fire in every way.

ElCid
November 23rd, 2018, 02:39 PM
I think comparison like this are pointless. Just because they're the 24 teams in the field doesn't mean the seeding is correct, that they're worthy of ranking or that they even deserve to be in the field.

This year's bracket is probably the worst they've ever put out. There were easily 5-10 different face palm-ingly bad mistakes throughout the bracket. It truly is a dumpster fire in every way.

Well, that may be true, but it would probably be best to see what happens to establish some objective data first.

But your point is well taken in regard to comparisons. Are voters voting to what they think the committee will do or voting for the best teams? Good question.