PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Dark Horse?

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Who is the dark horse of the Playoffs? I think Wofford has an punchers shot at making the semis (only to be killed by NDSU). What do you think?

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2018, 01:32 PM
If we are going to define dark horse as an unseeded team with the potential to go on a run and maybe even win, I think Wofford, JMU, and Jacksonville State qualify.

The non-seeded field is a bit rough, but I think those are the 3 teams with the most upside, at least on paper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I like Nicholls State on the bottom side of the bracket. People are taking shots at the SLC because they got 3 teams in but NSU is legit imo. A matchup against EWU could be pretty sweet! I think they could make a run to the Finals if they get by the Eagles. I also like Wofford to potentially make a run to the semifinals.

Personally, I'd love to see NDSU-Colgate. The Raiders have the physical toughness to perhaps compete.

Gil Dobie
November 18th, 2018, 01:37 PM
With JMU not being seededf, I'm leaning that way. UNI could make a run, but they have recent troubles with Big Sky teams. Colgate could surprise too.

Schism55
November 18th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Furman?
-sorry I HAD to :D

mainejeff
November 18th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Elon & Towson.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Northern Iowa and Jax State.

MTfan4life
November 18th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Most seasons I'll think Jacksonville State will lose in the first round, but this year I'm saying the contrary. Yes, I stick to my statement that they are overrated in the polls. However, in all three losses this season, they have out-gained their opponents. Clemson transfer Zerrick Cooper is pretty dynamic. They drew a corner of the bracket with a lot of defense and minimal offense, so if they can get their offense rolling, they might have a chance to pick off some teams. If they do reach the semifinals, they'll be the unanimous #1 in the final coaches poll.

JayJ79
November 18th, 2018, 01:44 PM
UC-Davis has a darkish horse as a mascot.
http://magazinearchive.ucdavis.edu/issues/sp08/graphics/gunrock_lg.jpg

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Most seasons I'll think Jacksonville State will lose in the first round, but this year I'm saying the contrary. Yes, I stick to my statement that they are overrated in the polls. However, in all three losses this season, they have out-gained their opponents. Clemson transfer Zerrick Cooper is pretty dynamic. They drew a corner of the bracket with a lot of defense and minimal offense, so if they can get their offense rolling, they might have a chance to pick off some teams. If they do reach the semifinals, they'll be the unanimous #1 in the final coaches poll.
If we can play 4 complete games we will be in Frisco but we have been wildly inconsistent this season. I hope we can build on last night.

semobison
November 18th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Northern Iowa and Jax State.

If UNI plays to their potential like they did against SDSU and NDSU (for 3 quarters anyway) they could do some damage in the lower weak bracket.

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2018, 01:53 PM
If UNI plays to their potential like they did against SDSU and NDSU (for 3 quarters anyway) they could do some damage in the lower weak bracket.

I agree and the biggest difference with them and many of the others is if UNI plays their ability against many of the opponents in either bracket and the other team does as well UNI wins many of them. I could easily see them going far if they don't "Farley" themselves xlolx

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 01:54 PM

I think JSU has the easiest road to the semi's of the 1st rounders. I hope its freaking cold and snowing like hell in Orono in two weeks though.

woffordgrad94
November 18th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Who is the dark horse of the Playoffs? I think Wofford has an punchers shot at making the semis (only to be killed by NDSU). What do you think?
I agree. We start with a reeling, less than full strength Elon...good shot there. If we beat the Phoenix we get a run-first Kennesaw team that our defense should match up decently against (although that game would still be a very tough one). Then it’d probably be South Dakota State or Townson, neither of which I know much about. But they’d have to prepare for the option their not used to seeing in a week too...so we might have a fighting chance to make it to Fargo. I am by no means predicting we will but if all goes right there’s always a possibility.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I think JSU has the easiest road to the semi's of the 1st rounders. I hope its freaking cold and snowing like hell in Orono in two weeks though.
I think Weber is going to be everything but "easy"

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 18th, 2018, 02:17 PM
UC Davis will win it all

katss07
November 18th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Elon. They could ethier be out in round one or in the semis.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM
UC Davis will win it all

No

Davis doesn't play defense.

Milktruck74
November 18th, 2018, 03:00 PM
UC-Davis has a darkish horse as a mascot.
http://magazinearchive.ucdavis.edu/issues/sp08/graphics/gunrock_lg.jpg
well played,,,you win the internet for today.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 03:07 PM
No

Davis doesn't play defense.

Based on what happened last night a JSU-UCD semifinal could light up the stat sheet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Based on what happened last night a JSU-UCD semifinal could light up the stat sheet.

JSU's defense is pretty good. Don't see the TO much anymore. I chalk it up to unfamiliarity.

ETSU then a game at Maine.

JSU could make a run in this playoff.

NDSUtk
November 18th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Personally, I'd love to see NDSU-Colgate. The Raiders have the physical toughness to perhaps compete.

I'd love to see this as well...we could see how Colgate matches up!

Derby City Duke
November 18th, 2018, 04:23 PM
I agree. We start with a reeling, less than full strength Elon...good shot there. If we beat the Phoenix we get a run-first Kennesaw team that our defense should match up decently against (although that game would still be a very tough one). Then it’d probably be South Dakota State or Townson, neither of which I know much about. But they’d have to prepare for the option their not used to seeing in a week too...so we might have a fighting chance to make it to Fargo. I am by no means predicting we will but if all goes right there’s always a possibility.

Elon shouldn't be in the playoffs; you should win handily.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 18th, 2018, 04:26 PM
I'd love to see this as well...we could see how Colgate matches up!

I would also like to see a different team. Colgate has unreal defensive stats but it is against the Patriot League. They look good but I would love to see them against a very good Bison offense. Plus NDSU's defense would shut down Colgate's offense.

FUBeAR
November 18th, 2018, 04:39 PM
FUBeAR is going ALL-IN on Lamar. They must be amazing!!

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 04:42 PM
FUBeAR is going ALL-IN on Lamar. They must be amazing!!
If we have snow here in the south the road will be fine cause of how salty the Furman fans are.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 04:43 PM
JSU's defense is pretty good. Don't see the TO much anymore. I chalk it up to unfamiliarity.

ETSU then a game at Maine.

JSU could make a run in this playoff.
Yeah but Zerrick Cooper and the Davis kid?

Could be 1000 yards in that game combined.

FUBeAR
November 18th, 2018, 04:53 PM
If we have snow here in the south the road will be fine cause of how salty the Furman fans are.
Yours will be fine anyway. You know there ain’t no paved roads in Northeast Alabama.

BisonTru
November 18th, 2018, 04:55 PM
UNI can beat anyone in the country sans maybe NDSU. Also, UNI can lose to anyone in the country. This holds true annually for Farley's teams.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Yours will be fine anyway. You know there ain’t no paved roads in Northeast Alabama.

The roads in Alabama are better than the garbage here in Georgia.

Bisonwinagn
November 18th, 2018, 04:56 PM
I would go with JSU since Maine is by far the weakest seeded team. Of course JMU, but that goes without saying. I don't see any other seeded teams losing to an unseeded team.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 04:56 PM
UNI can beat anyone in the country sans maybe NDSU. Also, UNI can lose to anyone in the country. This holds true annually for Farley's teams.

Yeah, they scare me almost as much as big sky teams on this side. The consultation is that I know they'll probably choke before we ever see them if we do make a run.

taper
November 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM
The committee hasn't been very good at seeding the last few years. These are the teams that lost their first game:
#5 Maine
#6 McNeese
#8 Montana

#3 JSU

#4 McNeese
#5 JMU
#6 Portland St

#3 JSU
#6 The Citadel
#7 North Dakota

#3 JSU
#4 UCA
#8 Southern Utah

Fortunately for Jacksonville St they're not the #3 seed this year, that seems to be the kiss of death for them. The Big Sky has lost a seed in 4 of the past 5 seasons, with 3 chances this time.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 05:27 PM
The committee hasn't been very good at seeding the last few years. These are the teams that lost their first game:
#5 Maine
#6 McNeese
#8 Montana

#3 JSU

#4 McNeese
#5 JMU
#6 Portland St

#3 JSU
#6 The Citadel
#7 North Dakota

#3 JSU
#4 UCA
#8 Southern Utah

Fortunately for Jacksonville St they're not the #3 seed this year, that seems to be the kiss of death for them. The Big Sky has lost a seed in 4 of the past 5 seasons, with 3 chances this time.

We're unseeded! Frisco, baby!

neverobeyed
November 18th, 2018, 06:10 PM

You are actually far more optimistic than the majority of UNI fanbase.

BisonTru
November 18th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Stony Brook could have a little run. I don't really love them as a team, but I think Weber St and Maine could both be knocked off. That'd be a lot of travel though. Missouri to Utah up to Maine and if they made it that far they'd probably have to head out to Washington.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Stony Brook could have a little run. I don't really love them as a team, but I think Weber St and Maine could both be knocked off. That'd be a lot of travel though. Missouri to Utah up to Maine and if they made it that far they'd probably have to head out to Washington.
I'd love Stony Brook to beat Weber. That would just mean we'd have a home game if we beat Maine.

Also I think JSU will have the most skymiles points or whatever in playoff history if we make it to Frisco and go through Maine, Weber, and EWU to get there. Should over 11,000 miles traveled .

kalm
November 18th, 2018, 06:18 PM
I like Nicholls State on the bottom side of the bracket. People are taking shots at the SLC because they got 3 teams in but NSU is legit imo. A matchup against EWU could be pretty sweet! I think they could make a run to the Finals if they get by the Eagles. I also like Wofford to potentially make a run to the semifinals.

Agreed. Solid defense, solid and experienced QB play with Fourcade. They'll be a tough out.

I also think Towson could make some noise.

EU2000
November 18th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Towson.

MacThor
November 18th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Stony Brook and Maine could do some damage in that quarter.

Cocky
November 18th, 2018, 06:59 PM
I'd love Stony Brook to beat Weber. That would just mean we'd have a home game if we beat Maine.

Also I think JSU will have the most skymiles points or whatever in playoff history if we make it to Frisco and go through Maine, Weber, and EWU to get there. Should over 11,000 miles traveled .

Weber would be nice. Add a ski trip into the agenda.

cx500d
November 18th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Weber would be nice. Add a ski trip into the agenda.

They are within driving range of skiing at any of those places....