PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Results - WEEK 12 SELECTION SUNDAY POLL - 2018 SEASON

AGSPoll
November 18th, 2018, 10:16 AM
11/18/2018

Rank
Team:

North Dakota State Bison

Eastern Washington Eagles

Weber State Wildcats

Kennesaw State Owls

South Dakota State Jackrabbits

UC Davis Aggies

James Madison Dukes

Colgate Raiders

Maine Black Bears

Princeton Tigers

Wofford Terriers

Nicholls State Colonels

Towson Tigers

Jacksonville State Gamecocks

Stony Brook Seawolves

Dartmouth Big Green

North Carolina A&T Aggies

Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens

Elon Phoenix

Indiana State Sycamores

Montana State Bobcats

Furman Paladins

Southeast Missouri State Redhawks

East Tennessee State Buccaneers

Northern Iowa Panthers

Incarnate Word Cardinals

Lamar Cardinals

San Diego Toreros

Idaho State Bengals

Monmouth Hawks

Rhode Island Rams

Duquesne Dukes

Samford Bulldogs

Illinois State Redbirds

35t
Alcorn State Braves

35t
Chattanooga Mocs

35t
Eastern Kentucky Colonels

Harvard Crimson

Northern Arizona Lumberjacks

As usual this is just the fast down & dirty poll results without the last week rankings etc.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 10:17 AM
1.) NDSU
2.) EWU
3.) KSU
4.) Weber State
5.) SDSU
6.) UC Davis
7.) James Madison
8.) Colgate
9.) Maine
10.) Jacksonville State
11.) Princeton
12.) Nicholls
13.) Wofford
14.) Towson
15.) Dartmouth
16.) Elon
17.) Stony Brook
18.) NC A&T
19.) Delaware
20.) Indiana State
21.) Montana State
22.) Idaho State
23.) Furman
24.) SEMO
25.) Lamar

TheKingpin28
November 18th, 2018, 10:41 AM
1: North Dakota State Bison
2: Eastern Washington Eagles
3: Weber State Wildcats
4: Kennesaw State Owls
5: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
6: UC Davis Aggies
7: Colgate Raiders
8: Maine Black Bears
9: James Madison Dukes
10: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
11: Wofford Terriers
12: Princeton Tigers
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Towson Tigers
15: Stony Brook Seawolves
16: Dartmouth Big Green
17: Nicholls State Colonels
18: North Carolina A&T Aggies
19: Indiana State Sycamores
20: Lamar Cardinals
21: Incarnate Word Cardinals
22: Montana State Bobcats
23: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
24: Furman Paladins
25: Northern Iowa Panthers

-I'll be honest, I probably should have had Elon in there and I accept that. That might be my first "miss" of this season and I regret that.
-Once I hit 18, I completely struggled with how teams should be ranked.
-17 were either perfect or 1 off.
-3 I guess I was "off" in the consensus pick but, I don't see how JSU can be 14 if KSU is 4. They need to be closer together, same with Dartmouth and Princeton

I thought this poll was going to be one of the hardest I have ever done and I was surprised by how accurate it was.

JSUSoutherner
November 18th, 2018, 10:44 AM
3: Weber State Wildcats
4: Kennesaw State Owls
10: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
13: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
14: Towson Tigers
15: Stony Brook Seawolves
16: Dartmouth Big Green
17: Nicholls State Colonels
19: Indiana State Sycamores
20: Lamar Cardinals
21: Incarnate Word Cardinals
22: Montana State Bobcats
23: East Tennessee State Buccaneers

-I'll be honest, I probably should have had Elon in there and I accept that. That might be my first "miss" of this season and I regret that.
-Once I hit 18, I completely struggled with how teams should be ranked.
-17 were either perfect or 1 off.
-3 I guess I was "off" in the consensus pick but, I don't see how JSU can be 14 if KSU is 4. They need to be closer together, same with Dartmouth and Princeton

I thought this poll was going to be one of the hardest I have ever done and I was surprised by how accurate it was.

Yeah I figured I'd get **** for my JSU pick but we played KSU to what the NFL would call a tie and if they are 4 no way we are 10 spots or more below them.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Here's the Wedge blog post for the Selection Sunday poll: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-12-selection-sunday-top-25-results/

I was a little surprised to see Colgate drop like they did despite a pretty solid showing against Army but all in all I thought it was another very good effort. I'm excited to see how we stack up with the committee's seeding and at-large selection since I think this poll is a pretty darn good representation of where both should be.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2018, 10:50 AM
The AGS projected at-large field:

1. Eastern Washington (2)
2. South Dakota State (5)
3. UC Davis (6)
4. James Madison (7)
5. Towson (13)
6. Stony Brook (15)
7. Delaware (18)
8. Elon (19)
9. Indiana State (20)
10. Montana State (21)
11. Furman (22)
12. Southeast Missouri State (23)
13. East Tennessee State (24)
14. Northern Iowa (25)

First 4 out:

1. Incarnate Word (26)
2. Lamar (27)
3. Idaho State* (29)
4. Monmouth (30)

*Did not get 6 D1 wins but due to the "may" keyword in the championship handbook this isn't actually a hard requirement although it's pretty obvious it could just as well be. If I took them out Rhode Island with slide in as the 4th "first out" team.

katss07
November 18th, 2018, 10:52 AM
If ETSU gets in they are going to get absolutely demolished in round 1.

TheKingpin28
November 18th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Yeah I figured I'd get **** for my JSU pick but we played KSU to what the NFL would call a tie and if they are 4 no way we are 10 spots or more below them.

I got your back. As you have noticed, my poll is fairly consistent with the aggregate and anyone who does not put JSU near them, isn't doing it right. I truly believe if that team shows up next weekend, they make it to the 2nd round and potentially the Quarters, depending on who they play. I want this rematch in round 2 or the Quarters.

kalm
November 18th, 2018, 11:13 AM
I got your back. As you have noticed, my poll is fairly consistent with the aggregate and anyone who does not put JSU near them, isn't doing it right. I truly believe if that team shows up next weekend, they make it to the 2nd round and potentially the Quarters, depending on who they play. I want this rematch in round 2 or the Quarters.

That’s a good point, KP.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Looks like we have the top 4 seeds correct as in who is in. Not a real tough one though.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 18th, 2018, 01:45 PM
The poll is back open for any voters that missed the deadline for this morning. It's only to salvage a perfection if you want It doesn't count toward our final poll listed above.

Professor Chaos
November 18th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Well, the STATS poll did better with the at large teams getting 13 of 14 while the AGS poll only got 12 of 14. The AGS Poll did better with the seeds getting 7 of 8 while STATS got 6 of 8 and seed lines were closer to the AGS rankings than they were to STATS.

Once the Coach's poll is released (tomorrow most likely) I'll add the full results to the thread I created earlier this year comparing each poll to the selection committee's choices.

wapiti
November 18th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Somebody voted for NAU????? Was the selection for the last few spots really that thin?

Preferred Walk-On
November 19th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Was not sure about etiquette (with poll still being open), so I did not post this until now. Figured I'd post for posterity.

Also, I wrote these descriptions on Saturday (they help me think through the rankings and justify them in my mind, if nobody else's). I was a bit disgusted with the playoff selection (teams selected and sides of the bracket), so I did not update the descriptions. Thus, they are an accurate reflection of what I was thinking when I submitted my poll. Also, these rankings were done with no consideration whatsoever to playoff selection/seeding projections.

Finally, I just want to send out thanks to Ursus and Supe for their work in organizing and maintaining the polls, as well as providing great information to voters to assist in the weekly rankings. It was much appreciated.

-----

Hello Preferred Walk-On:

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 11/17/2018 20:00:45.

Your vote is listed below. (Last week's rank by this voter is denoted in parentheses.)

1: North Dakota State Bison (1) - Self explanatory, but will add that NDSU finished their season by scoring the most points they have ever scored in a MVFC game and heard on radio postgame that they put up their sixth highest total yards in their history (did not confirm this).

2: Eastern Washington Eagles (2) - Really made a statement with 72 points in showing how a top-tier team takes care of a Portland State. Gage Gubrwho?

3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits (5) - Both teams previously ranked above the Jackrabbits won, so what gives? Well, since their loss to Northern Iowa, the Jackrabbits have won their remaining games in convincing fashion, and their only losses are to the #1 team in the nation, and to a team that may sneak into bubble conversation. They also beat the only other team (Indiana State) in the MVFC that has a chance at the playoffs (and is likely in).

4: Kennesaw State Owls (3) - Well, the Owls finally played somebody. 5 OT...wow! Won the game, but dropped a spot, because while Jacksonville State is a playoff team and AGS #16, the OVC is not so dissimilar to the Big South with respect to conference strength (and number of playoff bids?). Learned a lot about both the Owls and Gamecocks, and looking forward to see how each performs in the playoffs.

5: Weber State Wildcats (4) - Big Sky champs and have beaten Eastern Washington. Last six consecutive wins (impressive) have been by two scores or less to some inferior competition (less impressive). Remain in top 5, but could see this team bowing out earlier than expected in the playoffs.

6: James Madison Dukes (6) - Remember when the demise of James Madison seemed imminent? Yeah, me neither. CAA championship be damned, this is still the best team in the CAA.

7: Nicholls State Colonels (7) - A Southland team in the top 10? Yes. Despite a very early season loss to a full-roster McNeese State, and a hiccup to Abilene Christian (over a month ago), who by the way is a decent team, the Colonels have taken care of business. This includes being sure to exit the regular season with a definitive shutout victory. Probably won't be seeded, but this voter thinks they should be.

8: Colgate Raiders (12) - The game at Army really showed that Colgate playing a Patriot League schedule is not the reason that they have looked so dominant this year.

9: UC-Davis Aggies (9) - Very nice rebound win. Is it enough for a seed? We shall see.

10: Maine Black Bears (11) - Congratulations to the CAA champions (even if the Black Bears did not play James Madison or Delaware or Stony Brook). Don't think Maine should be seeded, but do think they are the 2nd best CAA team. Not sure if this is good or bad for the CAA.

11: Towson Tigers (10) - Did the clock strike midnight for the Tigers? Probably not. They got beat by James Madison...not Albany.

12: Elon Phoenix (14) - The Phoenix ended the season with a 1 point loss to Maine and moved up two spots. What gives? Losing key players always hurts teams; however, it is often better to lose these players earlier in the season, as it gives teams an opportunity to develop their replacements. Elon will not be a pushover in the playoffs.

13: Jacksonville State Gamecocks (18) - Do they finally deserve some respect this season? I should hope so.

14: Princeton Tigers (15) - Moved up due to Stony Brook loss. The best that never was?

15: Dartmouth Big Green (16) - If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it make a sound? I think this is the best description of the Ivy League and their playoff stance.

16: Wofford Terriers (19) - Won the SoCon, so had to put somewhere. Although ranked below the Ivy teams, but at least we'll get to see what Wofford can do against teams outside the SoCon in a one-and-done situation.

17: Indiana State Sycamores (22) - Won their last 5 games, including wins over Illinois State and Western Illinois. The three point Missouri State loss could be the one to do them in.

18: Lamar Cardinals (25) - Won their last 6 games to be in consideration. The Southland is a weaker conference this year, but not sure it is any weaker than any other conference not named MVFC, CAA, and Big Sky.

19: Stony Brook Seawolves (8) - You cannot lose to Albany, even if it is on a field goal that bounces off the crossbar and over. Despite this, Stony Brook should make the playoffs, barely.

20: Furman Paladins (21) - Ended with 4 straight wins, albeit all against the bottom half of the SoCon. Has the Wofford win in their back pocket, but did lose to Elon and East Tennessee State. Only loss in last 7 games was to Samford, which beat every team in the SoCon above them. Should be in the playoffs, but again, barely.

21: Northern Iowa Panthers (NR) - Rebounded nicely after Youngstown State debacle. Showed what they are capable of, just could not do this consistently in the regular season. Have a strong a case as a 6 D1 win team for playoff consideration.

22: Idaho State Bengals (17) - Lost to Weber State, so dropped. Did not drop out of poll, because within two scores of Weber State. Again, is this a reflection on the strength of the Bengals or the weakness of the Wildcats? Don't think Idaho State will be in, as they have one bad loss (Cal Poly) to Montana State's zero bad losses. Neither has a good win (and no, a win over Montana is not a good win...at least this year).

23: North Carolina A&T Aggies (NR) - Congratulations! The Aggies get to have a payday and "celebration". They also get to celebrate not being bounced early in the FCS playoffs. 'Til next year then.

24: Incarnate Word Cardinals (24) - The Cardinals beat everyone they played in the Southland, except Nicholls State and Lamar (both ranked above them). Would be a great story if they make the playoffs, but this voter would understand if they don't.

25: Samford Bulldogs (NR) - This is really probably the best SoCon team. If they had beat The Citadel, this would be a 6 D1 win team that would be in the playoffs. Because of their wins over Wofford, Furman, and East Tennessee State, had to rank them.

Preferred Walk-On

Most significant win: Indiana State Sycamores - Not sure there is much more the Sycamores could do to make their case for the playoffs (see ranking). Took care of business against a Western Illinois team that beat Northern Iowa and Montana State (only listing here, as there has been talk that the Bobcats will be in). Too bad the Sycamores took those three point losses to South Dakota State (not so bad) and Missouri State (this is bad) much, much earlier in the year. Feel like this is the 6 D1 win team that warrants very serious (the most?) consideration for the playoffs.

Most significant loss: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens - the loss to Villanova, following weeks in which they snuck by Albany and lost to Stony Brook may have sealed their fate as being out of the playoffs. We'll see.

Which conference does your team play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

ngineer
November 19th, 2018, 02:13 PM
A pretty good effort, I think. My only curious thought was why Colgate dropped. They played Army very tough. Down one score with five minutes to go. I like that they will get the winner of JMU/Delaware. Will they bid for home field, though?

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2018, 02:32 PM
A pretty good effort, I think. My only curious thought was why Colgate dropped. They played Army very tough. Down one score with five minutes to go. I like that they will get the winner of JMU/Delaware. Will they bid for home field, though?
They're seeded so they don't need to bid to get homefield against an unseeded team. Or at least all they need to do is make the minimum bid.

POD Knows
November 19th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Here is the answer key again

Hello POD Knows,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 11/17/2018 18:34:49

Your vote is listed below.

3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
4: Weber State Wildcats
5: Kennesaw State Owls
10: Princeton Tigers
12: Towson Tigers
13: Stony Brook Seawolves
14: Nicholls State Colonels
15: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
16: Elon Phoenix
17: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
18: Dartmouth Big Green
19: North Carolina A&T Aggies
20: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
21: Northern Iowa Panthers
22: Indiana State Sycamores
23: Montana State Bobcats
25: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks

POD Knows

The Most Significant Win: Indiana State Sycamores
The Most Significant Loss: Stony Brook Seawolves
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

Preferred Walk-On
November 27th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Just checking to see what the final poll (including any after-deadline votes) looked like.

Daytripper
November 27th, 2018, 09:46 AM
3: Kennesaw State Owls
4: Weber State Wildcats
6: Colgate Raiders
7: UC Davis Aggies
8: James Madison Dukes
9: Maine Black Bears
10: Princeton Tigers
11: Nicholls State Colonels
12: Stony Brook Seawolves
13: Wofford Terriers
14: Dartmouth Big Green
15: Towson Tigers
16: Elon Phoenix
17: Lamar Cardinals
18: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
19: North Carolina A&T Aggies
20: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
21: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
22: Indiana State Sycamores
23: Incarnate Word Cardinals
24: Idaho State Bengals
25: San Diego Toreros

ursus arctos horribilis
November 27th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Just checking to see what the final poll (including any after-deadline votes) looked like.

It's on page 1. I don't post an additional poll to compete with this one that comes out Sunday morning. I think there were only 5 additional voters anyway.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 01:13 PM
[B]12: Stony Brook Seawolves

Whoops.

After round one most of our polls look pretty sketch.
Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Whoops.

After round one most of our polls look pretty sketch.
Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk
I update my poll ballot after each week of the playoffs. Makes it a piece of cake once the final poll rolls around since all I have to tweak that week is the championship game teams and maybe a couple teams they had played earlier in the playoffs. Here's what I have after the opening round of the playoffs:

2: Weber State Wildcats
3: Eastern Washington Eagles
4: Colgate Raiders
7: James Madison Dukes
8: Kennessaw State Owls
10: Nicholls State Colonels
13: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
15: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
16: Indiana State Sycamores
17: Montana State Bobcats
19: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
20: Duquesne Dukes
22: Towson Tigers
23: Stony Brook Seawolves

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I update my poll ballot after each week of the playoffs. Makes it a piece of cake once the final poll rolls around since all I have to tweak that week is the championship game teams and maybe a couple teams they had played earlier in the playoffs. Here's what I have after the opening round of the playoffs:

2: Weber State Wildcats
3: Eastern Washington Eagles
4: Colgate Raiders
7: James Madison Dukes
8: Kennessaw State Owls
10: Nicholls State Colonels
13: Jacksonville State Gamecocks
15: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
16: Indiana State Sycamores
17: Montana State Bobcats
19: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
20: Duquesne Dukes
22: Towson Tigers
23: Stony Brook Seawolves
Interesting you still have UNI at 25. I know they had an ugly win but do you really hate Lamar THAT much? Lotta losers above UNI. *Cough cough* Towson *Cough*

RabidRabbit
November 27th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Only questionable one is UNI behind several 1st round losers. UNI May be a about 17/18 in this poll imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Interesting you still have UNI at 25. I know they had an ugly win but do you really hate Lamar THAT much? Lotta losers above UNI. *Cough cough* Towson *Cough*

Only questionable one is UNI behind several 1st round losers. UNI May be a about 17/18 in this poll imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't been impressed with UNI at all over the last month or so (basically since they beat SDSU). Yeah, Towson got trucked by Duquesne but they still have beat Stony Brook and Elon handily (who I dropped out of my poll but still think is a quality team). I think Duquesne is a better team than Lamar at this point so if Towson and UNI had switched opponents the results probably would've been flipped for each as well.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2018, 03:24 PM
I haven't been impressed with UNI at all over the last month or so (basically since they beat SDSU). Yeah, Towson got trucked by Duquesne but they still have beat and Elon handily (who I dropped out of my poll but still think is a quality team). I think Duquesne is a better team than Lamar at this point so if Towson and UNI had switched opponents the results probably would've been flipped for each as well.
I don't buy it. It's your poll though I suppose.

Preferred Walk-On
November 27th, 2018, 05:56 PM
It's on page 1. I don't post an additional poll to compete with this one that comes out Sunday morning. I think there were only 5 additional voters anyway.

Got it. Thanks.