PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Legend Passes

Col Hogan
April 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Grambling Coach Eddie Robinson has died at age 88.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2825016

rokamortis
April 4th, 2007, 06:50 AM
RIP Coach

andy7171
April 4th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I heard this on the way into work. He will be missed.

GAD
April 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM
We'll miss you Coach
Thanks for the memories
and for the Bayou Classic
RIP

spelunker64
April 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Sad day for college football. Great coach and man!

89rabbit
April 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Sad day indeed. Thoughts and prayers for Eddie, his family, friends, and GSU fans.

bobbythekidd
April 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Sad day for GSU folks. All the best to the Robinson family. I hope this will help heal some things and bring them closer.

RIP Coach

mlbowl
April 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM
RIP Coach

89Hen
April 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Great coach, greater man. He will be missed.:(

slostang
April 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Great coach and man who will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with the Robinson family and GSU.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Thoughts and prayers to the Robinson family, the Grambling State football family, and anyone else who followed this sports pioneer at any time during his life.

We won't forget you coach.

Fordham
April 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
R.I.P.

JMUFortier
April 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Robinson family and the Grambling U. family.

Bobcat in NC
April 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I love the line that he "tried to coach each player as if he wanted him to marry his daughter." A first-class coach and an even better man.

God bless, Coach Robinson.

lizrdgizrd
April 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM
RIP Coach. xpeacex

Prayers for his friends and family. xprayx

walliver
April 4th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Condolences.

My favorite quote:

"The real record I have set for over 50 years is the fact that I have had one job and one wife," Robinson said.

Stang Fever
April 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
"The real record I have set for over 50 years is the fact that I have had one job and one wife," Robinson said.

I second this. The man is a LEGEND, and will be missed. This line sums it up for me. You never see anything like this anymore.

Tribe4SF
April 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Greatness, I think, is ultimately measured by how many people are truly affected by ones death. I never met him, and have no ties to Grambling, but I am truly sad at this moment.

God has a position for Eddie on his staff, I have no doubt.

HIU 93
April 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM
In the words of John Thompson- "The greatest manager of men" that athletics has ever seen. RIP, Coach Rob.

dbackjon
April 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
R.I.P. Coach Robinson

CSUBUCDAD
April 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Thoughts and prayers from all us here in Buc land. We will miss you coach.

Seat16Demon
April 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Our prayers are with the family. A great coach and man.

aceinthehole
April 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
My thoughts go out to the Robinson and Grambling families.

The article in the Washington Post was very nice. A great coach, and a even better person.

813Jag
April 4th, 2007, 11:40 AM
RIP Coach Rob... We'll miss you. He touched so many lives.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Texas Southern loves you coach!

I loved to hear old halftime locker room stories of Coach Rob when the G-Men were behind, he'd get in a few of the player's faces and tell them that they "didn't love Grambling". By the time halftime was over, the team would damn near break the brick wall down to get back out on the field to win one for "Coach Rob".

Peems
April 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
His second year Grambling was 9-0, not only unbeaten, but not scored on.

"A daddy pulled my best running backs off our team and said they couldn't play anymore because they had to pick cotton," Robinson said. "So I got all the boys on the team, we packed up and went out there to pick the cotton, then went on to win the championship."

He makes Denzel's character in Remember the Titans a lame loser. You are truly an Icon at the ICON.

3rd Coast Tiger
April 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM
He makes Denzel's character in Remember the Titans a lame loser. You are truly an Icon at the ICON.

That has me wanting a motion picture now of his life. I know television shows have been done but I hope the big screen calls.

Peems
April 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
That has me wanting a motion picture now of his life. I know television shows have been done but I hope the big screen calls.

Who would play Coach Rob? My vote...Morgan Freeman. Okay, that wasn't really a great pick, but anyone else got any ideas?

ngineer
April 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Wow--seems like yesterday he was still on the sideline. One of the all-time greats in all of football.

OB55
April 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Anybody here;
Seen my old friend Eddie;
Can you tell me;
Where he's gone?

I thought I saw him walking up over the hill;
With Abraham, Bobby, Martin, and John.

AZGrizFan
April 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
In the words of John Thompson- "The greatest manager of men" that athletics has ever seen. RIP, Coach Rob.

On the radio this morning they were talking about the fact that he'd passed, and the only comment they made regarding his career was that "he'd put over 200 players into the NFL". Somehow, I don't think THAT's how Eddie measured his success..... xnonox xnonox xnonox

R.I.P. xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

JALMOND
April 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Very sad time. The world has lost one of its better persons in this time of age. Not just a good coach, but a great man.

jsualum97
April 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
One of the true pioneers for small college football.

RIP Coach

April 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Goodbye Coach Rob

ErkPeterson
April 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Time will not diminish the greatness of this man. Ga Southern fans can relate, we recently loss our patriarch as well (I'm not comparing the two). College football will never see the likes of him again. My condolences to his family, players and Grambling

TheValleyRaider
April 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
A loss for Grambling
A loss for Football
A loss for America

And a better place for Coach Robinson. We'll all miss him.

appfan2008
April 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Great man
Great Coach
Great Loss

Cobblestone
April 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
A legend to say the least. They don't make coaches like him anymore. He was a great coach and from what I've ever heard from former players, a great man as well.

BIG loss for college football.

http://www.gram.edu/news/images/Rob1.jpg

Zoo
April 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
R.I.P Eddie Robinson.

Sad day for football in general.

slycat
April 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM
RIP coach. you were a great man.

Seawolf97
April 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM
He will be missed by the football community!

Kill'em
April 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Listening to interviews with Doug Williams and other former players under Coach Robinson, I got an appreciation for not just what a great coach he was, but how he helped make these guys men. That beats any coaching record he has.

R.I.P.

catamount man
April 4th, 2007, 03:20 PM
America and the sport of college football lost a great pioneer with this passing. RIP Coach and God bless his family.xbowx

Go...gate
April 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
A sad day. He was a truly special person and a legend at all levels of football. May he rest in peace.

PMB4Life
April 4th, 2007, 03:55 PM
400+ wins, 200+ players in the NFL, 17 SWAC titles, blah blah blah. What's most important is that he graduated 80% of his players. He was truly one of the great teachers of our time.

Bulldog87
April 4th, 2007, 05:15 PM
A Father to more young men and women than one can ever believe for more than 50 years. Job well done coach. RIP.

PSUVikings
April 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
R.I.P. coach

JohnStOnge
April 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
A good guy, as far as I could tell. Certainly conducted himself publicly with class and humility.

kardplayer
April 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
RIP Coach. The world will miss you.

CopperCat
April 4th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Great tradition at Grambling. Great coach.
We will remember you coach. Rest in peace.

Kill'em
April 4th, 2007, 09:33 PM
A good guy, as far as I could tell. Certainly conducted himself publicly with class and humility.
Ain't that the truth. I don't remember too many coaches being honestly as humble as Coach Robinson.

Mr. C
April 5th, 2007, 12:30 AM
There was some nice stuff on Coach Rob, including some interviews with former players (Doug Williams, Charlie Joiner, James Harris etc.) on ESPN Sports Center tonight.

BTW, be on the look out for a column eulogizing Coach Rob at College Sporting News on Thursday.

ucdtim17
April 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I didn't know much about Coach Robinson, but this is an amazing story I just came across:

http://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=football;pid=348248;d=this

Fresno St. Alum
April 5th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I teach at Reedley High with Jim Gregory "The White Tiger" he was the first white player at Grambling. I will ask him if he's going to the funeral.

Mr. C
April 5th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I remember reading about Jim Gregory when I was a kid (I grew up about an hour away from Gregory's hometown of Corcoran, Ca.). As a matter of fact, I have a book about Gregory and his days at Grambling at my bedside as I write this.

Fresno St. Alum
April 5th, 2007, 01:52 AM
There was also a movie about him "The White Tiger" the roll of Jim was played by Bruce Jenner (the olympian). His son Jacob that I graduated high school with played for S.Utah in the late 90's.

danefan
April 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM
"The real record I have set for over 50 years is the fact that I have had one job and one wife."

The world would be a much better place if more people lived their lives like Coach Robinson.

Rest in peace and prayers to his family and the Grambling family.

Ivytalk
April 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM
The world would be a much better place if more people lived their lives like Coach Robinson.

Rest in peace and prayers to his family and the Grambling family.

Amen to that. Coach Robinson had high standards in every way, and he was an educator in the best sense of the word. ABC News had a short segment on him last night, which included his comment telling his players to "tuck in your shirt-tails" as they left the practice field.

spelunker64
April 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM
good read:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=161795&section=Columnists&columnist=Mike%20McFeely

OL FU
April 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
:( xbowx :( xbowx

buckp
April 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Do you measure a man's greatness by how many people he has touched?
If so, I can think of no greater. xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx
Goodbye, Coach....

Kill'em
April 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
There was also a movie about him "The White Tiger" the roll of Jim was played by Bruce Jenner (the olympian). His son Jacob that I graduated high school with played for S.Utah in the late 90's.
It has been a long time since I saw the movie but I remember it being a really good movie. Harry Belafonte played the role of Coach Robinson, he was tough but fair.

Tod
April 5th, 2007, 11:06 PM
RIP, Coach. xpeacex

Kill'em
April 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Nice touch with the peace sign, Tod.xnodx

LeopardFan04
April 6th, 2007, 12:20 AM
RIP Coach, and thank you.