PDA

View Full Version : Indiana college cancels 2019 football season after 70-6 defeat and 53 straight losses

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Ouch!
http://https://www.foxnews.com/sports/indiana-college-cancels-2019-football-season-after-70-6-defeat-and-53-straight-losses (https://www.foxnews.com/sports/indiana-college-cancels-2019-football-season-after-70-6-defeat-and-53-straight-losses)

BisonBacker
November 16th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Sorry this isn't FCS mods please move to appropriate board.

PAllen
November 16th, 2018, 10:50 AM
It's not coming back. How are you going to recruit "solid players" and a "highly qualified" coach to a school that may or may not have a team? Also, what does that message say to the current underclassmen. I doubt they come back out for practice anytime soon after being told by the administration that they are not solid players.

Hood
November 16th, 2018, 11:06 AM
It's D-3. I'm 37 years old have been studying all levels of CFB since my freshman year 19 years ago, and I still don't understand how they recruit players to D3. I mean, on paper, how do they recruit them. They don't offer scholarships for athletics, but they find scholarships for academics? It always felt a little shady to me, but I don't know anyone personally to have gone through the process.

So yeah, good luck "recruiting" "solid players" to your program.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2018, 11:48 AM
It's D-3. I'm 37 years old have been studying all levels of CFB since my freshman year 19 years ago, and I still don't understand how they recruit players to D3. I mean, on paper, how do they recruit them. They don't offer scholarships for athletics, but they find scholarships for academics? It always felt a little shady to me, but I don't know anyone personally to have gone through the process.

My cousin plays D3 ball, so let me answer this:

At no college does anyone pay sticker price. Well, some do, but those are the guys who have 3 DUIs and their dad sits on the board of Microsoft (or something). Anyway, colleges have a lot of flexibility when it comes to financial aid. They may only have a limit in terms of explicit football scholarships, but as far as I know everything's on the table in terms of academic scholarships or grants they may be eligible for (see: The Ivys)

As for the talent of players, I think D3 is for the rare subset of players who 1) can afford to go to college without a scholarship 2) are decently, but not phenomenally athletic and 3) really want to keep playing. You'd be surprised at how few players in high school meet all 3 criteria.

dbackjon
November 16th, 2018, 01:52 PM
This is sad for me. My Mom was an Earlham alum. Sad that the program is gone within a month of her passing.

I also had a niece that went there.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Only 53 losses? We live in a snowflake society...

Hood
November 16th, 2018, 03:44 PM

At no college does anyone pay sticker price. Well, some do, but those are the guys who have 3 DUIs and their dad sits on the board of Microsoft (or something). Anyway, colleges have a lot of flexibility when it comes to financial aid. They may only have a limit in terms of explicit football scholarships, but as far as I know everything's on the table in terms of academic scholarships or grants they may be eligible for (see: The Ivys)

As for the talent of players, I think D3 is for the rare subset of players who 1) can afford to go to college without a scholarship 2) are decently, but not phenomenally athletic and 3) really want to keep playing. You'd be surprised at how few players in high school meet all 3 criteria.
Appreciate that. I didn't even think about the FCS non-schollys in my Billy Madison-esque rant.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Agree with that. Everyone I've known to play D3 football is in that category.

To be honest, with the massive influx of football programs at the D1 level, I would wager that there are more than a few D3 caliber players on most FCS rosters. More demand, same supply.

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Here's the problem in one photo:

https://cdn.prestosports.com/action/cdn/img/mw=600/cr=n/d=go5il/m66ijr669zwlbfgv.jpg

There are just 42 players on the roster.

Hood
November 17th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I forget which lower tier NAIA came to Thibodaux a while back, (and I know they have some scholarship players) and I was astounded by how few players they had in comparison to our home bench. And that's keeping in mind we've all seen the sidelines of FBS squads in comparison to our FCS teams.

Appreciate all the knowledge being shared.

Laker
November 20th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Watch a game between St John's and St Thomas. You would be surprised at the caliber of players that they get. Somehow they tend to find those players who tried out for D1 teams and decided that they would rather start than be a reserve for the Gophers.

St John's got the starting center from D2 St Cloud State to transfer and he is now a starting guard for them. Just talked to a SCSU booster about that situation on Saturday.