PDA

View Full Version : Sac St at UC Davis Could Be Cancelled Due to Wildfire Smoke

BlueGoldAg
November 13th, 2018, 12:24 PM
The disastrous Camp Fire raging 80 miles north of Sacramento has been creating unhealthy air quality all over northern California. The NAU at Sac St game was cancelled last week beacause of unhealthy air and those conditions have continued to date. The Camp Fire is currently only 30% contained. Light winds have reduced smoke dispersion and temperature inversions are trapping pollutants near the ground. UC Davis cancelled classes today so I think it is doubtful that their health officials would allow athletes to exert themselves and fans to sit in unhealthy air for the game unless conditions improve dramatically.

Aggie fans are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping the game will be played. It is a rivalry game for us but, more importantly, we know the Ags want to make a statement to the playoffs selection committee after our lopsided loss at EWU.

It's hard to know how a cancellation would affect the placement of the Aggies in the playoffs, but it seems to me that it can only hurt us.

WestCoastAggie
November 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I doubt the Davis Aggies will be hurt too much if the game is cancelled. The EWU loss really stings as far as point margin, but your overall resume warrants a top-8 seed.

The only downside would be the rust incurred from a potential two-week lay-off.

BlueGoldAg
November 13th, 2018, 12:34 PM
We ran into a buzz saw at EWU and the magnitude of the loss stunned the Aggies. They would love to take out their frustrations on the Hornets and it seems that a solid win to end the season at 9-2 would look better than an 8-2 season that ended with a big loss. I hope I'm wrong...

maine612
November 13th, 2018, 01:48 PM
I'd be ok with Davis getting a seed...and advancing...and Maine playing there. Of all FCS sites, I'm likely to get marital agreement to travel to Napa Valley over almost any other site.

I'm hoping you guys stay safe with the fires. Looks terrible.

Mayville Bison
November 13th, 2018, 02:10 PM
We ran into a buzz saw at EWU and the magnitude of the loss stunned the Aggies. They would love to take out their frustrations on the Hornets and it seems that a solid win to end the season at 9-2 would look better than an 8-2 season that ended with a big loss. I hope I'm wrong...

Unfortunately, I think you are spot on with this reasoning. Finishing on a win (against anyone) is much better than the last memory being getting beaten (by anyone). An 8-2 UCD team would be compared to 8-2 SDSU, 8-3 JMU, Maine, etc. instead of being compared to 8-2 Weber or 10-1 KSU.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Feel ya. Safety first.

I wonder what the record for rescheduled/canceled football games is in a single season due to natural disasters.

wapiti
November 13th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Is their a neutral field the game could be played at that would have better air quality and be within a reasonable distance for at least one of the schools?

The logistics of changing the location could be a huge nightmare.

BlueGoldAg
November 13th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Is their a neutral field the game could be played at that would have better air quality and be within a reasonable distance for at least one of the schools?

The logistics of changing the location could be a huge nightmare.

There's been some discussion of that over on the aggiesportstalk.com forum but, as you say, it would be a logistical nightmare. The other problem is that most of the venues that are relatively nearby in northern California are blanketed in smoke as well. The air quality improves as you head up into the mountains towards Lake Tahoe and Reno.

The entire state of California is a tinderbox right now after essentially 8 years of drought. We may very well have even more of these firestorms this fall and winter with no significant rain in the long range forecast yet.

EdubAlum
November 13th, 2018, 03:50 PM
There's been some discussion of that over on the aggiesportstalk.com forum but, as you say, it would be a logistical nightmare. The other problem is that most of the venues that are relatively nearby in northern California are blanketed in smoke as well. The air quality improves as you head up into the mountains towards Lake Tahoe and Reno.

The entire state of California is a tinderbox right now after essentially 8 years of drought. We may very well have even more of these firestorms this fall and winter with no significant rain in the long range forecast yet.

Feels like you could find a high school and play the game if you have to even if no fans attend. If Davis doesn't get the win, despite the playoff mess, you also won't be crowned conference co-champions either I wouldn't think (as you'd be 6-1, not 7-1).

JSUSoutherner
November 13th, 2018, 04:29 PM
I hate to mention them cause they'll probably come in and vomit all over this thread, but it will be interesting to see how the committee handles UC Davis. If they miss a game and don't punish them for it can you really push out a team like Furman who has also been a victim of uncontrollable circumstances? It will definitely be interesting to see how the committee looks at cancelled games and whether or not they are consistent.

mvemjsunpx
November 13th, 2018, 05:09 PM
I doubt the Davis Aggies will be hurt too much if the game is cancelled.

They wouldn't be able to claim a conference title (unless EWU & Weber both lose, anyway).

AggieFinn
November 13th, 2018, 06:09 PM
They wouldn't be able to claim a conference title (unless EWU & Weber both lose, anyway).

While it's good to play for home playoff spots, possibly a seed...I just want to see UC Davis get on the field with Sac this year. It was a hellfire shootout last year in Excremento, would love to see the re-match without mother nature getting involved.

Catbooster
November 13th, 2018, 07:28 PM
I hope you get to play this game - mainly because that would mean they've made progress on controlling the fires, but also because I want to see the game.

EdubAlum
November 13th, 2018, 10:22 PM
They wouldn't get the autobid, but the Big Sky considers teams with the best record(s) to be co-champions.

mvemjsunpx
November 13th, 2018, 10:25 PM
They wouldn't get the autobid, but the Big Sky considers teams with the best record(s) to be co-champions.

Right, but you only need to tie to claim a title & print the T-shirts.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2018, 04:11 AM
I hate to mention them cause they'll probably come in and vomit all over this thread, but it will be interesting to see how the committee handles UC Davis. If they miss a game and don't punish them for it can you really push out a team like Furman who has also been a victim of uncontrollable circumstances? It will definitely be interesting to see how the committee looks at cancelled games and whether or not they are consistent.

Have they really been a victim, though? Furman, fresh off a 45-7 loss to Elon and with an offense in shambles at that point, was a victim for not getting a chance to play one of the best defenses in the country in Colgate? I don't think so. Furman's score would most definitely have been in the single digits had that game been played. They were very fortunate to not have that game played because now they can freely argue they would have won that game, when if it actually had they'd likely be 5-5 right now.

SochorField
November 14th, 2018, 04:38 PM
We tailgate either way.

xdrunkyx

AggieFinn
November 14th, 2018, 05:29 PM
We tailgate either way.

xdrunkyx

The Moon Shines Before Game Time... xdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyxxdrunkyx

JSUSoutherner
November 14th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Have they really been a victim, though? Furman, fresh off a 45-7 loss to Elon and with an offense in shambles at that point, was a victim for not getting a chance to play one of the best defenses in the country in Colgate? I don't think so. Furman's score would most definitely have been in the single digits had that game been played. They were very fortunate to not have that game played because now they can freely argue they would have won that game, when if it actually had they'd likely be 5-5 right now.
That's true, but my point is will the committee handle cancellations the same or try to pretend the game got played.

EdubAlum
November 14th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Right, but you only need to tie to claim a title & print the T-shirts.

EWU and Weber could be 7-1, while UC Davis would be 6-1. I wouldn't think that would be considered a tie, but perhaps they'd make an exception given that they had a to cancel a game. That's all I mean.

mvemjsunpx
November 14th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Sounds like it's on for now, but the kickoff time could change.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/11/14/football-uc-davis-hosts-sacramento-state-in-saturdays-12-pm-causeway-classic.aspx?path=football

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2018, 07:11 PM
source on the ground tells me air qualityr in the San Fran Bay area better today than what it was like over the weekend

kalm
November 14th, 2018, 07:16 PM
That's true, but my point is will the committee handle cancellations the same or try to pretend the game got played.

Tough one for sure. I think you treat it a presumed outcome with a chance of an upset. SDSU and Furman could have beat Iowa State and Colgate but they wouldn't be favored to. It leaves a slight ? Elon would have more than likely beat W&M. Less of a ?, probably win. Davis would likely beat Sac. Less of a ? probable win.

Or you call it a draw. EG: SDSU 8-2-1

JSUSoutherner
November 14th, 2018, 07:21 PM
Tough one for sure. I think you treat it a presumed outcome with a chance of an upset. SDSU and Furman could have beat Iowa State and Colgate but they wouldn't be favored to. It leaves a slight ? Elon would have more than likely beat W&M. Less of a ?, probably win. Davis would likely beat Sac. Less of a ? probable win.

Or you call it a draw. EG: SDSU 8-2-1
Personally I think the "Fairest" thing would to just completely ignore it.

Yeah, Furman probably would have been blown TF out by Colgate, but the Law of AGS says we can't know for sure.
Yeah, UC Davis would probably beat Sac State like a rented mule, but the Law of AGS says we can't know for sure.

Due to this uncertainty I don't think you can make a data point out of such games with any degree of accuracy.

ElCid
November 14th, 2018, 07:40 PM

Yeah, Furman probably would have been blown TF out by Colgate, but the Law of AGS says we can't know for sure.
Yeah, UC Davis would probably beat Sac State like a rented mule, but the Law of AGS says we can't know for sure.

Due to this uncertainty I don't think you can make a data point out of such games with any degree of accuracy.

Exactly. Speculating is ridiculous and has no place in determining playoff teams.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 08:30 PM

Funny dude, I come to another thread and see you still talking smack about FU lol

Only things we know about Colgate, they have not beaten a single team with a winning record and Furman blew them TF out as you say last year up @Colgate 45-14 despite them going 5-1 in Patriot league last season. Carry on xthumbsupx

gofurman
November 14th, 2018, 09:02 PM

Exactly - SPECULATION HAS NO PLACE IN FOOTBALL OR SPORTS. NONE. Example---I mean we all knew UVA would LOSE AS A 1 SEED to a 16 seed this year in basketball, right ????? Had I asked you that before the game everyone woulda laughed their azz off at the mere thought .... Everyone knew App State would beat Michigan at the big house right?

IF you were going to speculate you would assume a Furman win over Colgate. We have played then 3 times and WON ALL THREE. they would often go 5-1 or something in their league after getting smacked by Furman by 30

that said, there should be NO SPECULATION In sports . EVER. we all picked the eagles to win the super bowl with a backup QB and D2 Chaminade to upset UVA with Ralph Sampson. Woulda been laughed off this board if you said a D2 bball team could beat top 3 UVA w Ralph Sampson

JSUSoutherner
November 14th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Funny dude, I come to another thread and see you still talking smack about FU lol
Are you really such a dumbass you can't tell I'm actually making an argument that benefits Furman?

matfu
November 15th, 2018, 12:24 AM

Only things we know about Colgate, they have not beaten a single team with a winning record and Furman blew them TF out as you say last year up @Colgate 45-14 despite them going 5-1 in Patriot league last season. Carry on xthumbsupx

Yes I would LOVE to play Colgate in the playoffs this year. Until they prove me wrong I think we would beat them. Maybe they have gotten 31 points better? Patriot League has always seemed like a weak league in my many years of following FCS football.
Maybe the league has gotten better over the years.

OhioHen
November 15th, 2018, 06:25 AM
The committee will treat cancelled games as though they never existed on the schedule. Furman, UC Davis, South Dakota State, and Elon will be considered based on the ten game schedule.

kalm
November 15th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Exactly - SPECULATION HAS NO PLACE IN FOOTBALL OR SPORTS. NONE. Example---I mean we all knew UVA would LOSE AS A 1 SEED to a 16 seed this year in basketball, right ????? Had I asked you that before the game everyone woulda laughed their azz off at the mere thought .... Everyone knew App State would beat Michigan at the big house right?

IF you were going to speculate you would assume a Furman win over Colgate. We have played then 3 times and WON ALL THREE. they would often go 5-1 or something in their league after getting smacked by Furman by 30

that said, there should be NO SPECULATION In sports . EVER. we all picked the eagles to win the super bowl with a backup QB and D2 Chaminade to upset UVA with Ralph Sampson. Woulda been laughed off this board if you said a D2 bball team could beat top 3 UVA w Ralph Sampson

Fair points.

So there are already 23 playoff eligible teams at 7 wins and another 14 playing on Saturday with 6. Unless all 14 lose, the bubble says goodbye Furman, and hello Stetson, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, et al on account of it would be pure speculation to think any 6 win team is more deserving than any 7 win team.

kalm
November 15th, 2018, 06:30 AM
The committee will treat cancelled games as though they never existed on the schedule. Furman, UC Davis, South Dakota State, and Elon will be considered based on the ten game schedule.

You could be right, but that’s problematic as well.

What if SDSU’s cancelled game was Notre Dame, or Elon’s was Bama?

We could have a. 6 win seed.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2018, 07:13 AM
As an aside, it was officially announced Tuesday that the Sac/NAU game will not be made up. I figured there was some chance it would get played since neither will be in the playoffs, but I guess NAU didn't want to pay the travel costs again (or Sac wouldn't pay them for NAU).

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20181113ocilb6

ElCid
November 15th, 2018, 07:22 AM
As an aside, it was officially announced Tuesday that the Sac/NAU game will not be made up. I figured there was some chance it would get played since neither will be in the playoffs, but I guess NAU didn't want to pay the travel costs again (or Sac wouldn't pay them for NAU).

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20181113ocilb6

Makes perfect sense. Only reason we are playing our hurricane makeup game is The Citadel and Chatrleston Southern are less than 20 miles apart.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Are you really such a dumbass you can't tell I'm actually making an argument that benefits Furman?

You are doing FU no favors by spewing your degenerate smack constantly xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Fair points.

So there are already 23 playoff eligible teams at 7 wins and another 14 playing on Saturday with 6. Unless all 14 lose, the bubble says goodbye Furman, and hello Stetson, Monmouth, Sacred Heart, et al on account of it would be pure speculation to think any 6 win team is more deserving than any 7 win team.

You are such a joker lol

kalm
November 15th, 2018, 12:40 PM
You are such a joker lol

Not at all. Just trying to follow the logic.

gofurman
November 15th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Fair points.

Lol. Fishin. I'll bite. Speculation on who woulda won ONE GAME is a little different than saying one conference is better than another so a 6 win SoCon or CAA team (with only 10 games to get 6 wins!! And one loss vs FBS Clemson etc) or whatever is better than 7 wins in pioneer or wherever. And those teams had an extra game to get 7 wins. I mean, the CAA might get 6 teams in - should we take all 8 win teams from pioneer or patriot or wherever above 7 win MVFC and CAA ? Cmon.

Your Big Sky is good. A 7 win big sky is better than an 8 win pioneer or whatever bottom conference

Point is it's a shame we couldn't play all the games this year. For fans and players

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Not at all. Just trying to follow the logic.

Sure xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 05:57 PM
Lol. Fishin. I'll bite. Speculation on who woulda won ONE GAME is a little different than saying one conference is better than another so a 6 win SoCon or CAA team (with only 10 games to get 6 wins!! And one loss vs FBS Clemson etc) or whatever is better than 7 wins in pioneer or wherever. And those teams had an extra game to get 7 wins. I mean, the CAA might get 6 teams in - should we take all 8 win teams from pioneer or patriot or wherever above 7 win MVFC and CAA ? Cmon.

Your Big Sky is good. A 7 win big sky is better than an 8 win pioneer or whatever bottom conference

Point is it's a shame we couldn't play all the games this year. For fans and players

Missing a game due to hurricane won't be held against us, completely out of our control

Now Incarnate Word however canceled a perfectly playable game, and its going to cost them

kalm
November 15th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Sure xthumbsupx

“You’re a joker” and “Sure”... your last two and best efforts at a reasonable discussion.

Compelling!

Lol

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2018, 06:58 PM
“You’re a joker” and “Sure”... your last two and best efforts at a reasonable discussion.

Compelling!

Lol

Who could argue with that logic?

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 07:05 PM

Compelling!

Lol

Truce man xnodx

Kramden
November 15th, 2018, 07:18 PM
I guess it's just me, but all the Furman supporters on this site are morons. I actually like the school and team, they are an excellent academic institution and their football team is always very good, their supporters on this site give me pause.

Kramden
November 15th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Who's debating? This discussion started out about Cal-Davis.

cx500d
November 15th, 2018, 07:41 PM
How did this discussion turn into another Furman whining sh**show?

Kramden
November 15th, 2018, 07:49 PM
You're right, my apologies for getting caught up in the deep state Furman slug that seems to infest all sites. This is about Cal-Davis.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 07:49 PM

Ask JSUSoutherner (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?42506-JSUSoutherner) xthumbsupx

If you guys want to keep with the name calling "morons" and smack talk "furman would get blown TF out" that's fine, it makes you look not quite as good as you must think you do lol

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2018, 07:55 PM

GameBreaker is World reincarnated.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 07:57 PM
GameBreaker is World reincarnated.

Says the smack talker xnodx

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Says the smack talker xnodx
I was literally making a case for Furman not to get penalized by missing a game, dumb****.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 07:59 PM
I was literally making a case for Furman not to get penalized by missing a game, dumb****.

Yes by adding serious smack talk, and now name calling, nice lol

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Yes by adding serious smack talk, and now name calling, nice lol

Troll.

Sorry the truth hurts your fragile feelings.

FUGameBreaker
November 15th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Troll.

Sorry the truth hurts your fragile feelings.

xrotatehx

BlueGoldAg
November 15th, 2018, 09:51 PM
The likelihood of the Sac St at UC Davis game being played in Davis on Saturday is slim to none as the air quality in the Sacramento area has gotten even worse and there's no relief in sight. I was in downtown Sacramento today and it was like being in an apocalyptic, polluted world of the future. It's looks like tule fog with a pink sun hanging in the sky due to the smoke pollution and lots of people are wearing masks.

The air quality indexes for this area are rated as follows:

101-150 = unhealthy for sensitive groups
151-200 = unhealthy
201-300 = very unhealthy
301-500 = hazardous

The greater Sacramento area was 252 at 6 a.m. and 343 at 6 p.m.

There is talk of the possibility that the game may be played at McKay Stadium at Nevada-Reno:

"Poor air quality in Sacramento could force a change in venue for the football game between UC Davis and Sacramento State in Davis, Calif. Mackay Stadium is one of the sites being looked at to host the game, if necessary, but no change has been made at this point. The UC Davis-Sac State game is scheduled for noon Saturday."

The UC Davis Athletic Department will make an announcement tomorrow at 10 a.m. Pacific time.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/nevada-still-slated-to-play-at-sjsu-but-mackay-could-host-fcs-game

gofurman
November 16th, 2018, 12:00 AM
I guess it's just me, but all the Furman supporters on this site are morons. I actually like the school and team, they are an excellent academic institution and their football team is always very good, their supporters on this site give me pause.

2 points. 1). Please don't lump ALL Furman supporters OR ANY SCHOOL's fans all together. Everyone has their better and worse fans. Everyone.

2). I hope this topic gets back to the original topic of Sac St and I hope everyone IS SAFE