PDA

View Full Version : CAA Tie-Breakers

superman7515
November 12th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Maine wins the outright CAA championship and automatic bid with a victory over Elon.

Maine and JMU at 6‐2: Maine gets the automatic bid if New Hampshire finishes above William & Mary in the final standings. JMU gets the automatic bid if W&M finishes above UNH in the standings.

Maine and Towson at 6‐2: Maine gets the automatic bid based on its head‐to‐head win over Towson.

Maine, JMU, Stony Brook at 6‐2: Maine and JMU beat Towson but Stony Brook lost to Towson, eliminating SBU from the tiebreaker. Maine gets the automatic bid if New Hampshire finishes above William & Mary in the standings, JMU gets the automatic bid if W&M finishes above UNH in standings.

Maine, JMU, Delaware at 6‐2: Delaware gets the automatic bid based on its win over Elon. Maine and JMU lost to Elon.

Maine, JMU, Stony Brook, Delaware at 6‐2: Maine, JMU and Delaware beat Towson, but Stony Brook lost to Towson, eliminating SBU from the tiebreaker. Delaware gets the automatic bid based on its win over Elon and Maine and JMU’s losses to Elon.

Maine, Towson, Stony Brook at 6‐2: The only common opponents between the three schools are Villanova and UAlbany and all three went 2‐0. The automatic bid would go to the highest ranked team in the final Sagarin Ratings.

Maine, Towson, Delaware at 6‐2: Towson and Delaware beat Elon, but Maine lost to Elon, eliminating Maine from the tiebreaker. Delaware gets the automatic bid based on its head‐to‐head win over Towson.

Maine, Towson, Stony Brook, Delaware at 6‐2: The only common opponents between the four schools are Villanova and UAlbany and all four went 2‐0. The automatic bid would go to the highest ranked team in the final Sagarin Ratings.

Schism55
November 12th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Well....that clears things up :D

kdinva
November 12th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Thanks..........I'm tired just reading all that.......

Thumper 76
November 12th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Holy what a mess Batman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2018, 05:47 PM
https://www.college-sports-journal.com/college-sports-journal-sagarin-fcs-top-25-nov-11-2/

Current Sag ratings:

113 Stony Brook 58.37
120 Towson 56.78
123 Delaware 56.17
144 Maine 51.86

Basically, with any of those Sagarin tiebreakers, buckle up between Towson and Stony Book. Only Maine would truly be out of it, and I don't think a Delaware win over Villanova would give them enough to pass either Towson or Stony Brook.

ccd494
November 12th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Has the league officially declared the Elon-W&M game a no contest?

hoidOfYolen
November 12th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Has the league officially declared the Elon-W&M game a no contest?

The teams themselves have called off the contest, so... yes?

HensRock
November 12th, 2018, 08:27 PM
It's Crazy. Every game matters. Even Richmond @ W&M might be relevant in some tiebreakers!

http://www.gohens.net/images/CAA_Auto.png

X = "Does not Matter"

* All 6-2 ties involving Maine, Stony, and Towson will be resolved by Sagarin Rating.
(This will also include Delaware if they beat Villanova.)

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Maine wins the outright CAA championship and automatic bid with a victory over Elon.

Maine and JMU at 6‐2: Maine gets the automatic bid if New Hampshire finishes above William & Mary in the final standings. JMU gets the automatic bid if W&M finishes above UNH in the standings.

Maine and Towson at 6‐2: Maine gets the automatic bid based on its head‐to‐head win over Towson.

Maine, JMU, Stony Brook at 6‐2: Maine and JMU beat Towson but Stony Brook lost to Towson, eliminating SBU from the tiebreaker. Maine gets the automatic bid if New Hampshire finishes above William & Mary in the standings, JMU gets the automatic bid if W&M finishes above UNH in standings.

Maine, JMU, Delaware at 6‐2: Delaware gets the automatic bid based on its win over Elon. Maine and JMU lost to Elon.

Maine, JMU, Stony Brook, Delaware at 6‐2: Maine, JMU and Delaware beat Towson, but Stony Brook lost to Towson, eliminating SBU from the tiebreaker. Delaware gets the automatic bid based on its win over Elon and Maine and JMU’s losses to Elon.

Maine, Towson, Stony Brook at 6‐2: The only common opponents between the three schools are Villanova and UAlbany and all three went 2‐0. The automatic bid would go to the highest ranked team in the final Sagarin Ratings.

Maine, Towson, Delaware at 6‐2: Towson and Delaware beat Elon, but Maine lost to Elon, eliminating Maine from the tiebreaker. Delaware gets the automatic bid based on its head‐to‐head win over Towson.

Maine, Towson, Stony Brook, Delaware at 6‐2: The only common opponents between the four schools are Villanova and UAlbany and all four went 2‐0. The automatic bid would go to the highest ranked team in the final Sagarin Ratings.

My head hurts.

ncspiderfan
November 12th, 2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks

What a mess, hope the committee sees fit that the top six make it regardless of this weekends games.

dunbar
November 12th, 2018, 08:47 PM
So the real solution here is stop thinking and just root for Maine.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2018, 09:14 PM
https://www.college-sports-journal.com/college-sports-journal-sagarin-fcs-top-25-nov-11-2/

Current Sag ratings:

113 Stony Brook 58.37
120 Towson 56.78
123 Delaware 56.17
144 Maine 51.86

Basically, with any of those Sagarin tiebreakers, buckle up between Towson and Stony Book. Only Maine would truly be out of it, and I don't think a Delaware win over Villanova would give them enough to pass either Towson or Stony Brook.
Delaware could move the needle even with a win over Nova. What affects a team's Sagarin rating is whether they outperform or underperform based on the algorithm's prediction. If you look at the ratings of each of those teams and take into account the 2.41 points for home field advantage then Stony Brook is favored by about 18 @Albany, Towson is about an 8 point underdog vs JMU, Delaware is about an 11 point favorite vs Nova, and Maine is about a 4 point underdog @Elon.

So if Delaware beats Nova by 35 instead of 11 they'll likely see a bump in their rating (there's a lot of other variables too like what the past opponents of each team did in relation to their predicted outcome that weekend). I'd agree that Maine is likely out if it comes down to Sagarin since 6.5 points in that rating system is a lot to try to make up in one week.

ccd494
November 13th, 2018, 06:22 AM
The teams themselves have called off the contest, so... yes?

Right. But back in the early 2000’s a Maine-W&M game was lost to a hurricane and the league gave Maine a victory but didn’t give W&M a loss. They basically split the baby and called it a half-forfeit.

HensRock
November 13th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Right. But back in the early 2000’s a Maine-W&M game was lost to a hurricane and the league gave Maine a victory but didn’t give W&M a loss. They basically split the baby and called it a half-forfeit.

I do vaguely remember this. I think that was back when our league had an odd number of teams and an odd number of conference games, so there was always one game a year that counted as a conference game for one team, but not for the other. Remember that? Maybe this was one of those. I see no other reason why they would count it for only one team.

maine612
November 13th, 2018, 08:09 AM
I do vaguely remember this. I think that was back when our league had an odd number of teams and an odd number of conference games, so there was always one game a year that counted as a conference game for one team, but not for the other. Remember that? Maybe this was one of those. I see no other reason why they would count it for only one team.

I don't remember that rule. What a clownshow. Imagine if that were in play this year? Yikes.

HensRock
November 13th, 2018, 08:35 AM
I don't remember that rule. What a clownshow. Imagine if that were in play this year? Yikes.

It was back when we were the Atlantic10. There were 11 teams for a short stint, and for some reason, the league wanted each to play 9 conference games. 11 teams x 9 conference games each = 99 conference matchups. Each game matches 2 teams, right? Therefore, the league needed 49.5 conference games each year. Yeah - it was odd. Pun intended.

kdinva
November 13th, 2018, 08:43 AM
So the real solution here is stop thinking and just root for Maine.

....or the CAA goes to a full, 11-game round-robin.......no FBS $$$ games, etc...(except for 12 game calendars).....xrotatehx xdrunkyx

mainejeff
November 13th, 2018, 09:33 AM
....or the CAA goes to a full, 11-game round-robin.......no FBS $$$ games, etc...(except for 12 game calendars).....xrotatehx xdrunkyx

If we had 12 game seasons I could go for that.....and probably every other team in the league not named JMU or Delaware would too.

ccd494
November 13th, 2018, 03:45 PM

Nope. Wasn't that. https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/william-and-mary/elon-at-w-m-nsu-at-liberty-ppd-hurricane-canceled/article_018a6bcf-a67c-5172-a269-d8a44d023cdb.html

In late September of 2003, a Maine at William & Mary game was canceled as a result of Hurricane Isabel. Presidents from schools in the league, which at that time was the A-10, approved a recommendation made by league athletic directors. Maine was credited with a victory, and William & Mary’s record did not change as a result of the cancellation.In canceling the game, W&M cited unsafe conditions and concern about employees’ welfare. Maine attempted to move the game to an alternate site and then to the Black Bears’ campus, offering to pay the Tribe’s way.

“Our presidents and directors of athletics all agree that Maine should not be penalized because of its efforts, nor should William & Mary because of the circumstances,” Linda Bruno, the A-10 commissioner, said at the time.

It was harder to make the playoffs at that point (multiple legit 8 win teams didn't make it), and there was a worry that Maine would need the win to get in. It never became a huge issue because Maine slumped to 6-5 (4-4)- so the forfeit would have just made Maine 7-5 (5-4) behind 8-4 (6-3) Northeastern who were left out of the playoffs themselves.

whoanellie
November 13th, 2018, 06:22 PM
trust me if Elon wins We are hanging a banner

TheKingpin28
November 13th, 2018, 06:38 PM
trust me if Elon wins We are hanging a banner

A banner for what; 2nd place?

jmu007
November 13th, 2018, 07:30 PM
A banner for what; 2nd place?

Technically, they're still Co-Champs haha. You better believe all 3 teams are gonna claim it.

mainejeff
November 14th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Nope. Wasn't that. https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/william-and-mary/elon-at-w-m-nsu-at-liberty-ppd-hurricane-canceled/article_018a6bcf-a67c-5172-a269-d8a44d023cdb.html

It was harder to make the playoffs at that point (multiple legit 8 win teams didn't make it), and there was a worry that Maine would need the win to get in. It never became a huge issue because Maine slumped to 6-5 (4-4)- so the forfeit would have just made Maine 7-5 (5-4) behind 8-4 (6-3) Northeastern who were left out of the playoffs themselves.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks for the actual facts. I hate revisionist history.

TheKingpin28
November 14th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Technically, they're still Co-Champs haha. You better believe all 3 teams are gonna claim it.

I get that the William and Mary game was cancelled, but looking at the standings, they wouldn't be. This is why nature can suck.

HensRock
November 14th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Agreed.
Elon cannot possibly tie for first. At best, they will be 5-2 while multiple teams will be at 6-2.
In fact, the best they can possibly finish is 3rd and could be as low as 5th even if they win.