PDA

View Full Version : This year provides the most exciting finish to HBCU football in recent history

ASU33
November 12th, 2018, 03:55 PM
This year in HBCU football rivalry games will decide conference titles and post season berths. Both the MEAC and SWAC titles are up for grabs going into this weekend and all will be decided in some of the biggest games in all of FCS. Over in the MEAC the conference crown will be decided this weekend in a few HUGE matchups. FAMU currently leads the MEAC and must beat in-State rival Bethune-Cookman in the Florida Classic to win the conference title and secure a bid to the Celebration Bowl. If the Rattlers lose to BCU on Saturday and North Carolina A&T wins over in-State rival North Carolina Central, then the Aggies would win the conference and get the Celebration Bowl invitation. If both Rattlers and Aggies win then FAMU would win the conference and get a bid to the Celebration Bowl while A&T would be in position to get an at-large bid into the playoffs. Now if both FAMU and A&T lose on Saturday, Bethune-Cookman would create a 3-way tie for the conference title with FAMU and A&T which the conference would use tiebreakers and rankings to award the Celebration Bowl bid.

Over in the SWAC the Eastern Division title is on the line in Lorman, Mississippi as Jackson State visits Alcorn State in a game affectionately known as the Soul Bowl. Alcorn State officials are expecting a record crowd on Saturday as JSU comes to visit. Winner of the game will clinch a berth to the SWAC title game on December 1st. The SWAC Western Division is on the line next Saturday in New Orleans in the Bayou Classic between Southern and Grambling. Fewer than 7,000 tickets remain in the Superdome for the game that will decide the Western Division of the SWAC.

GAD
November 12th, 2018, 04:14 PM
There is certainly a buzz the last two weeks of the regular season

ASU33
November 12th, 2018, 04:18 PM
There is certainly a buzz the last two weeks of the regular season

Yes sir!

Schism55
November 12th, 2018, 04:50 PM
So do conference games ACTUALLY count as conference games this weekend??
Get your **** together MEAC xeyebrowx

ASU33
November 12th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Yep

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2018, 07:01 PM
..." in some of the biggest games in all of FCS."

It should be, but the playoff situation places the HBCU's out of range with regards to the awareness of the rest of the subdivision.

Preferred Walk-On
November 12th, 2018, 08:28 PM
This year in HBCU football rivalry games will decide conference titles and post season berths. Both the MEAC and SWAC titles are up for grabs going into this weekend and all will be decided in some of the biggest games in all of FCS. Over in the MEAC the conference crown will be decided this weekend in a few HUGE matchups. FAMU currently leads the MEAC and must beat in-State rival Bethune-Cookman in the Florida Classic to win the conference title and secure a bid to the Celebration Bowl. If the Rattlers lose to BCU on Saturday and North Carolina A&T wins over in-State rival North Carolina Central, then the Aggies would win the conference and get the Celebration Bowl invitation. If both Rattlers and Aggies win then FAMU would win the conference and get a bid to the Celebration Bowl while A&T would be in position to get an at-large bid into the playoffs. Now if both FAMU and A&T lose on Saturday, Bethune-Cookman would create a 3-way tie for the conference title with FAMU and A&T which the conference would use tiebreakers and rankings to award the Celebration Bowl bid.

Over in the SWAC the Eastern Division title is on the line in Lorman, Mississippi as Jackson State visits Alcorn State in a game affectionately known as the Soul Bowl. Alcorn State officials are expecting a record crowd on Saturday as JSU comes to visit. Winner of the game will clinch a berth to the SWAC title game on December 1st. The SWAC Western Division is on the line next Saturday in New Orleans in the Bayou Classic between Southern and Grambling. Fewer than 7,000 tickets remain in the Superdome for the game that will decide the Western Division of the SWAC.

Sounds like a great weekend of football. Would love to see some way in which the winner of the Celebration Bowl could feed into the FCS playoff system.

ASU33
November 13th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Alcorn is bringing in temporary seating to accommodate the crowd on Saturday. They're expecting a crowd of over 30,000+ on Saturday.

Professor
November 13th, 2018, 10:17 AM

If other conferences weren't meddling in our conference , then we wouldn't have had schools without games due to Hampton leaving. Hampton and the Big South were behind that. Hampton could have just left at the end of this school year, but the Big South needed them to stay eligible

ASU33
November 13th, 2018, 11:33 AM
If other conferences weren't meddling in our conference , then we wouldn't have had schools without games due to Hampton leaving. Hampton and the Big South were behind that. Hampton could have just left at the end of this school year, but the Big South needed them to stay eligible

The Hampton Effect!

KPSUL
November 13th, 2018, 02:52 PM
FAMU currently leads the MEAC and must beat in-State rival Bethune-Cookman in the Florida Classic to win the conference title and secure a bid to the Celebration Bowl. If the Rattlers lose to BCU on Saturday and North Carolina A&T wins over in-State rival North Carolina Central, then the Aggies would win the conference and get the Celebration Bowl invitation. If both Rattlers and Aggies win then FAMU would win the conference and get a bid to the Celebration Bowl while A&T would be in position to get an at-large bid into the playoffs. Now if both FAMU and A&T lose on Saturday, Bethune-Cookman would create a 3-way tie for the conference title with FAMU and A&T which the conference would use tiebreakers and rankings to award the Celebration Bowl bid.

Exciting finish in the conference! Great when two rivalry games have conference title, Bowl game and playoff implications. I mistakenly thought NC A&T had regained the Celebration Bowl bid after FL A&M lost two straight - apparently not - I guess at least one was not a conference game.

ASU33
November 13th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Exciting finish in the conference! Great when two rivalry games have conference title, Bowl game and playoff implications. I mistakenly thought NC A&T had regained the Celebration Bowl bid after FL A&M lost two straight - apparently not - I guess at least one was not a conference game.

Yeah due to the Hampton fiasco the SC State game was a "non conference" game for FAMU.

GAD
November 14th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Alcorn is bringing in temporary seating to accommodate the crowd on Saturday. They're expecting a crowd of over 30,000+ on Saturday.
If things go the way some expect there could be another huge crowd in two weeks...if the weather is nice

Big Dawg
November 14th, 2018, 12:39 PM
This truly is one of the most exciting finishes to the HBCU football season in a while.

Big Dawg
November 14th, 2018, 12:41 PM

Blame Hampton

OhioHen
November 14th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Yeah due to the Hampton fiasco the SC State game was a "non conference" game for FAMU.

Just like A&T's loss to Morgan State is considered a "non-conference" game.

OhioHen
November 14th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Blame Hampton

Or you could blame the remaining MEAC schools for being petty and not keeping the 2018 schedule intact. The rest of the league could have chosen to be "the bigger person" than Hampton, but chose not to do so.

kdinva
November 14th, 2018, 03:33 PM
. Over in the MEAC the conference crown will be decided this weekend in a few HUGE matchups. FAMU currently leads the MEAC and must beat in-State rival Bethune-Cookman in the Florida Classic to win the conference title and secure a bid to the Celebration Bowl. If the Rattlers lose to BCU on Saturday and North Carolina A&T wins over in-State rival North Carolina Central, then the Aggies would win the conference and get the Celebration Bowl invitation. If both Rattlers and Aggies win then FAMU would win the conference and get a bid to the Celebration Bowl while A&T would be in position to get an at-large bid into the playoffs. Now if both FAMU and A&T lose on Saturday, Bethune-Cookman would create a 3-way tie for the conference title with FAMU and A&T which the conference would use tiebreakers and rankings to award the Celebration Bowl bid.

OK, suppose both A&T and FAMU lose Saturday.........and S C State wins out (game #11 on Nov. 24), they would also be 5-2. But because they are playing NCCU on that "late" date, those two schools previously decided not to be in the running for a share of the MEAC title?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/standings.asp?conf=fcs%3A017

Professor
November 14th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Or you could blame the remaining MEAC schools for being petty and not keeping the 2018 schedule intact. The rest of the league could have chosen to be "the bigger person" than Hampton, but chose not to do so.

Why.... All Hampton had to do was leave after this school year. But Harvey wants to elevate his school and make Hampton whatever he thinks he has too. Why allow them to benefit playing their old conference ?

Professor
November 14th, 2018, 04:00 PM
OK, suppose both A&T and FAMU lose Saturday.........and S C State wins out (game #11 on Nov. 24), they would also be 5-2. But because they are playing NCCU on that "late" date, those two schools previously decided not to be in the running for a share of the MEAC title?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/standings.asp?conf=fcs%3A017

Basically , if FAMU loses and A&T loses then A&T goes to the Celebration Bowl. A&T owns all the tiebreakers except for head to head vs FAMU

Big Dawg
November 14th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Why.... All Hampton had to do was leave after this school year. But Harvey wants to elevate his school and make Hampton whatever he thinks he has too. Why allow them to benefit playing their old conference ?

Exactly...he tried to show up the conference. And didn’t The MEAC basically tell member schools to not play Hampton? Also, because of unbalanced scheduling, a couple of teams have two MEAC games that don’t count.

ASU33
November 14th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Exactly...he tried to show up the conference. And didn’t The MEAC basically tell member schools to not play Hampton? Also, because of unbalanced scheduling, a couple of teams have two MEAC games that don’t count.

Hey Big Dawg how are ticket sales for The Florida Classic this weekend with FAMU on the cusp of a Conference title and Celebration Bowl berth?

Big Dawg
November 14th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Hey Big Dawg how are ticket sales for The Florida Classic this weekend with FAMU on the cusp of a Conference title and Celebration Bowl berth?

The lower bowl on FAMU’s side is almost sold out. They will definitely have to open the upper deck. End zone seats are also just about gone.

BCU’s ticket sales are a bit slower...but the first level of their lower bowl is nearly sold out, but they have a bunch of tickets available on the second level of the lower bowl. They usually have a ton of people buy tickets on game day, however.

As of now, I’m confident is saying 45-50K will be in the stadium...60k if we get really strong walk up numbers.

gofurman
November 14th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Is there a team I am pulling for if I want to free up an additional FCS playoff slot? Does Bethune Cookman winning free up an additional playoff slot?

Big Dawg
November 14th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Is there a team I am pulling for if I want to free up an additional FCS playoff slot? Does Bethune Cookman winning free up an additional playoff slot?

I don’t think so.

OhioHen
November 15th, 2018, 06:28 AM

Because it was an opportunity to avoid problems for all the schools that stayed?

Because it was an opportunity for the schools that stayed to show that they are (as I phrased it before) "the bigger person" above the pettiness shown by Hampton?

OhioHen
November 15th, 2018, 06:30 AM

Only if A&T beats NC Central. You would need to root for both BCU and NCA&T if you think Furman needs the help.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Only if A&T beats NC Central. You would need to root for both BCU and NCA&T if you think Furman needs the help.

Well, regardless of the street fight in Durham, NC, if Bethune Wins the Florida Classic, Furman or Montana State would take A&T’s spot in the playoffs.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Because it was an opportunity to avoid problems for all the schools that stayed?

Because it was an opportunity for the schools that stayed to show that they are (as I phrased it before) "the bigger person" above the pettiness shown by Hampton?

I agree with you here. So does A&T’s AD.

Professor
November 15th, 2018, 11:07 AM
The road to the 2018 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) Football Championship and the opportunity to play in the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl will come to an end this weekend, as the final full weekend of MEAC football will take place. Entering Saturday's games, only Florida A&M (FAMU) and North Carolina A&T State (NCAT) will have an opportunity to clinch a berth in the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl, while both teams also have an opportunity to win an outright MEAC championship.

The MEAC’s tiebreaker process is solely to determine which team will receive the conference’s automatic bid to the 2018 Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl. In the event of a tie for the conference title, all teams included in the tie will share the title and be named co-champions.

Edited

BEAR
November 15th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Anyone got links for the upcoming weekend games or post the info for where they will be broadcast? Would love to watch a couple of them! xthumbsupx

Big Dawg
November 15th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Anyone got links for the upcoming weekend games or post the info for where they will be broadcast? Would love to watch a couple of them! xthumbsupx

Every MEAC game is streamed on ESPN 3

FAMU vs BCU(The Florida Classic) will be live on ESPN Classic
A&T vs NCCU will be live on ESPN3 and rebroadcast on ESPNU

ASU33
November 15th, 2018, 01:46 PM

Jackson State @ Alcorn State will be on ESPN 3 at 2pm

Southern vs Grambling (The Bayou Classic) will be on NBC Sports next Saturday at 4pm

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Jackson State @ Alcorn State will be on ESPN 3 at 2pm

Southern vs Grambling (The Bayou Classic) will be on NBC Sports next Saturday at 4pm

The Barfight in Durham will be on ESPN3/ESPNU at 2PM. Be prepared to see plenty of personal foul penalties. xrotatehx

gofurman
November 15th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Well, regardless of the street fight in Durham, NC, if Bethune Wins the Florida Classic, Furman or Montana State would take A&T’s spot in the playoffs.

So JUST Bethune? Seems someone else said to free up a slot in FCS playoff would take an A&T win AND a Bethune win? I am asking.

Big Dawg
November 15th, 2018, 09:34 PM
So JUST Bethune? Seems someone else said to free up a slot in FCS playoff would take an A&T win AND a Bethune win? I am asking.

If BCC wins, which they won’t, then A&T would be in the Celebration bowl. That would free up another playoff spot

Big Dawg
November 16th, 2018, 07:36 AM

The most recent article I read said that over 50,000 tickets had been sold by midweek.

AmsterBison
November 16th, 2018, 08:08 AM
The most recent article I read said that over 50,000 tickets had been sold by midweek.

That's awesome!

ASU33
November 16th, 2018, 11:56 AM

Nice!

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 16th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I expect 70,000 for the Bayou Classic. Still 8 days away, and this game always has a huge walk up crowd.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/bayou-classic-vs-grambling-football-new-orleans-louisiana-11-24-2018/event/1B005461A2BAA1BF

ASU33
November 19th, 2018, 11:15 AM
I expect 70,000 for the Bayou Classic. Still 8 days away, and this game always has a huge walk up crowd.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/bayou-classic-vs-grambling-football-new-orleans-louisiana-11-24-2018/event/1B005461A2BAA1BF

Yeah the Bayou Classic will be NUTZ this year. So much coming into Saturday's game.

Professor
November 19th, 2018, 01:14 PM
If BCC wins, which they won’t, then A&T would be in the Celebration bowl. That would free up another playoff spot

Lol you were saying

OhioHen
November 19th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I expect 70,000 for the Bayou Classic. Still 8 days away, and this EVENT always has a huge walk up crowd.

FIFY

ASU33
November 19th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Lol you were saying

FAMU absolutely choked coming down the stretch. The way that that lost on Saturday was absolutely gut-wrenching

Professor
November 19th, 2018, 01:59 PM
FAMU absolutely choked coming down the stretch. The way that that lost on Saturday was absolutely gut-wrenching

Aggies are thankful for the ESPN App. The entire tailgate was watching

GAD
November 21st, 2018, 09:33 AM

Very few tickets left, I'm gonna have to get my group up and out early

TheKingpin28
November 21st, 2018, 04:22 PM
Is this game on ABC or one or the basic channels? I ask since I usually try to watch it but I can't remember exactly what station it is on.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

GAD
November 21st, 2018, 04:59 PM
Is this game on ABC or one or the basic channels? I ask since I usually try to watch it but I can't remember exactly what station it is on.

NBCsports
https://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings?ap=cf&v=1&aid=nbcsports&stnlt=15952%2C48639&nstnlt=false&rty=json&zip=70719

TheKingpin28
November 21st, 2018, 04:59 PM
NBCSN works for me.

DEX
November 22nd, 2018, 01:14 PM
Nothing against the Celebration Bowl but I was hoping A&T would make the playoffs this time around. With the team finally being close to full strength I think we could have done some damage.

Big Dawg
November 22nd, 2018, 05:39 PM
We still kicked A&T to sleep..,I’m content lol

WestCoastAggie
November 23rd, 2018, 08:22 AM
We still kicked A&T to sleep..,I’m content lol

A game winning FG isn’t being kicked to sleep. Now what Bethune, SC State and Howard did to FAMU is closer to being kicked to sleep.

LOL!

Professor
November 23rd, 2018, 10:11 AM
Nothing against the Celebration Bowl but I was hoping A&T would make the playoffs this time around. With the team finally being close to full strength I think we could have done some damage.

I'm glad. More money, more exposure. And we get to continue to build our brand. Can't wait to we finish in the top 10 of FCS and everyone is pissed

- - - Updated - - -

What was up with your Homecoming. Saw some pictures and it looked like attendance was off

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 23rd, 2018, 04:02 PM
The ESPN app is saying that Florida A&M played one less MEAC game than NC A&T.

What is the deal?

ASU33
November 23rd, 2018, 05:22 PM
I'm glad. More money, more exposure. And we get to continue to build our brand. Can't wait to we finish in the top 10 of FCS and everyone is pissed

- - - Updated - - -

What was up with your Homecoming. Saw some pictures and it looked like attendance was off

Looked like? Bruh it was off. Fans are frustrated with the coaching hire we made, the state of the program, and etc. 11k is the smallest TDC crowd we've had in history. We're in bad shape right now man.

GAD
November 24th, 2018, 09:30 AM
My wifes cousin comes in from St. Louis with a Mizzou shirt on, Dude wrong colors, wrong mascot you can't sit with me wearing that

Schism55
November 24th, 2018, 10:20 AM
The ESPN app is saying that Florida A&M played one less MEAC game than NC A&T.

What is the deal?
You don't want to know man lol

Edit: If you do want to know, check the first 5-6 pages of this thread -
Week 11: FCS Playoff Armageddon Week