PDA

View Full Version : 2018 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (V 6.0)

grizband
November 12th, 2018, 02:18 AM
2018 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (V 6.0)

Below are the remaining teams, that participate in the playoffs, which are still capable of reaching 7 Division 1 wins in 2018.

Key:
Teams preceded by an asterisk (*) have already reached 7 Division 1 wins.
Teams listed in bold need to win all remaining games to reach 7 Division I wins.
Teams followed by a hash tag (#) have played a lower division team
Teams followed by a plus sign (+) have an FBS team remaining on their schedule.
Teams followed by an percent sign (%) had a game cancelled or postponed

Conference Champions
Big South - Kennesaw State (9-1)
Missouri Valley - North Dakota State (10-0)
Ohio Valley - Jacksonville State (8-2)
Patriot - Colgate (9-0)
Pioneer - San Diego (8-2)

Teams with 7 Division 1 Wins:
*UC Davis (8-2)
*Weber State (8-2)
*Monmouth (7-3)
*Delaware (7-3)
*North Carolina A&T (8-2)
*Southeast Missouri (7-3)
*ETSU (8-2)
* Eastern Washington (8-2)
*Towson (7-3)
*James Madison (7-3)
*Stony Brook (7-3)
*Maine (7-3)
*South Dakota State (7-2)%
* Wofford (7-3)
* Nicholls (7-3)

Big Sky
Montana State (6-4) must go 1-0
Montana (6-4) must go 1-0

Big South
No additional teams can reach 7 Division 1 wins

Colonial
Elon (6-3)% must go 1-0

Independents
North Dakota (6-4) must go 1-0

MEAC

Missouri Valley

Northeast
Sacred Heart (6-4) must go 1-0
Duquesne (7-3)# must go 1-0

Ohio Valley
Eastern Kentucky (6-4) must go 1-0

Patriot

Pioneer

Southern
Chattanooga (6-4)+ must go 1-0

Southland
McNeese State (6-4) must go 1-0
Incarnate Word (6-4)+ must go 1-0 (Iowa State game occurs if UIW misses playoffs)

SWAC
Alcorn State (7-3)# must go 1-0

grizband
November 12th, 2018, 02:21 AM
Playoff Related Numbers:
15 teams have already reached 7 Division 1 wins, but not clinched their conference
10 additional teams can still reach 7 Division 1 wins with a victory next week; each will also be unable to reach 7 Division 1 wins with a loss

5 conference auto bids are yet to be decided

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Playoff Related Numbers:
15 teams have already reached 7 Division 1 wins, but not clinched their conference
10 additional teams can still reach 7 Division 1 wins with a victory next week; each will also be unable to reach 7 Division 1 wins with a loss

5 conference auto bids are yet to be decided

Of course, 7 D1 wins is not a prerequisite for the postseason.

Outsider1
November 12th, 2018, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=grizband;2708516]2018 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (V 6.0)

Below are the remaining teams, that participate in the playoffs, which are still capable of reaching 7 Division 1 wins in 2018.

* Nicholls (7-3)

Southland
Incarnate Word (6-4)+ must go 1-0 (Iowa State game occurs if UIW misses playoffs)

You still left out ACU, oversight or you don't think we can beat UCA this week? And also several other SLC teams, are they likely to make the at large bids? No, but that isn't because of a lack of wins......

SCPALADIN
November 12th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Not sure I understand this thread since you need six DI wins to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid...not seven.

Outsider1
November 12th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Not sure I understand this thread since you need six DI wins to be eligible for an at-large playoff bid...not seven.

Tougher at-large expectations in competitive voting??

Catatonic
November 12th, 2018, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=grizband;2708516]2018 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (V 6.0)

* Nicholls (7-3)

Southland

You still left out ACU, oversight or you don't think we can beat UCA this week? And also several other SLC teams, are they likely to make the at large bids? No, but that isn't because of a lack of wins......

he only lists teams with the potential for 7 D1 wins. One of ACU’s wins came against a D2 school.

Catatonic
November 12th, 2018, 09:51 AM

probably because in a normal year teams outside the MVFC with just 6 D1 wins are unlikely to get a bid. This is not a normal year.

Outsider1
November 12th, 2018, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=Outsider1;2708575]

he only lists teams with the potential for 7 D1 wins. One of ACU’s wins came against a D2 school.

Dang, keep forgetting about ASU....... :(

FUGameBreaker
November 12th, 2018, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Catatonic;2708616]

Dang, keep forgetting about ASU....... :(

Yep, with a win Saturday 7-4, but with a D2 win and the loss to horrendous SF Austin they won't have much of a case

Outsider1
November 12th, 2018, 11:38 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29476&stc=1

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2018, 07:31 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29476&stc=1
I binge watch Ancient Aliens sometimes...love that show!

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2018, 07:52 PM
I binge watch Ancient Aliens sometimes...love that show!

So you’re the reason the History Channel sucks now.... I suppose you binge Swamp People too?

Outsider1
November 12th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Hey now, I love Swamp People; Choot'em!!

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2018, 08:00 PM
So you’re the reason the History Channel sucks now.... I suppose you binge Swamp People too?
Swamp People? Never heard of it. But it doesn’t sound like anything I’d be interested in. And it’s not my fault they put Ancient Aliens on the History Channel instead of something more appropriate like Science Channel or SyFy so you’re bitching to the wrong person about the quality of the History Channel...I ain’t their program director.

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Swamp People? Never heard of it. But it doesn’t sound like anything I’d be interested in. And it’s not my fault they put Ancient Aliens on the History Channel instead of something more appropriate like Science Channel or SyFy so you’re bitching to the wrong person about the quality of the History Channel...I ain’t their program director.

Perhaps their program director looks at ratings but I could be wrong

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Geaux Sioux, I subscribe to History Vault from the History Channel. It contains a lot of more traditional history programming and is only $5 a month. You can watch it on a smart TV, a smart phone or tablet or with a streaming device like a Roku. I think you might like it...but if you also think that sucks...well then I can’t help you but don’t say I didn’t try.

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Geaux Sioux, I subscribe to History Vault from the History Channel. It contains a lot of more traditional history programming and is only $5 a month. You can watch it on a smart TV, a smart phone or tablet or with a streaming device like a Roku. I think you might like it...but if you also think that sucks...well then I can’t help you but don’t say I didn’t try.
I’m a Hardcore History guy

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2018, 08:20 PM
I like History too. And I can see where you’re coming from. It seems like every channel got away from its original intent. MTV hasn’t shown music in forever. I’m still lamenting the loss of Court TV (it became TruTV and I hate it now). And A&E is not about the arts at all anymore (although I do love their crime shows Live PD and the First 48). Discovery Channel is more reality TV now than science. I’m sure I could go on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2018, 08:22 PM
I like History too. And I can see where you’re coming from. It seems like every channel got away from its original intent. MTV hasn’t shown music in forever. I’m still lamenting the loss of Court TV (it became TruTV and I hate it now). And A&E is not about the arts at all anymore (although I do love their crime shows Live PD and the First 48). Discovery Channel is more reality TV now than science. I’m sure I could go on...

No, I’m a fan of Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History Podcast.

Bisonoline
November 12th, 2018, 08:22 PM
I’m a Hardcore History guy

TLC used to be a good channel also. Now its just trash.

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2018, 08:23 PM
TLC used to be a good channel also. Now its just trash.

100% agree with this!

woffordgrad94
November 12th, 2018, 08:24 PM

I’ll have to check it out...I like listening to stuff like that in my car.

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2018, 08:32 PM
I’ll have to check it out...I like listening to stuff like that in my car.

His series on WWI is incredible, and long.
6 parts and nearly 24hrs long.

Thundar
November 12th, 2018, 08:32 PM
This thread used to be about At large playoff potential

geaux_sioux
November 12th, 2018, 08:34 PM
This thread used to be about At large playoff potential

The Ottoman Empire has a good record but poor strength of schedule.

kalm
November 13th, 2018, 07:07 AM

Fantastic podcast. The Wrath of the Khans is still my favorite.

Oh...and...

Now that I’ve looked at it more, there’s no way 6-4 ICW or Furman should get in ahead of 6-5 Elon, UNI, or WIU.

UNI and WIU are 1 and 2 in SOS and Elon is 10. Elon has the JMU win and destroyed Furman, UNI has the SDSU win and both ISU’s, and WIU has a win against UNI and Montana.

Way better resumes.

I think Furman ICW are out (unless ICW wins the auto).

Oh...and thx again for putting this together, Gband!

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Fantastic podcast. The Wrath of the Khans is still my favorite.

Oh...and...

Now that I’ve looked at it more, there’s no way 6-4 ICW or Furman should get in ahead of 6-5 Elon, UNI, or WIU.

UNI and WIU are 1 and 2 in SOS and Elon is 10. Elon has the JMU win and destroyed Furman, UNI has the SDSU win and both ISU’s, and WIU has a win against UNI and Montana.

Way better resumes.

I think Furman ICW are out (unless ICW wins the auto).

Oh...and thx again for putting this together, Gband!

This freaking guy, bashes Furman for weeks like he knows something, then says "now that he has looked at it more" still says the same bashing, uh dude you should have looked at it more a while ago, thanks for admitting you have had no clue with what your talking about lately until now that you "have looked at it more" lol

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 09:56 AM
So for starters, Furman and Incarnate Word would be 6-4 yes, but Furman has a better case as they have a much better win vs. AGS #15 Wofford, Incarnate Word does not have a win over an AGS ranked team

Next UNI and WIU would not only have 5 loses, but UNI lost badly to crappy Youngstown St. (4-6) and WIU lost to crappy South Dakota (4-6), both have more loses and worse loses than Furman

Furman has the best resume of those 4 teams xthumbsupx

ksu_owls
November 13th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Does Monmouth sneak in with 8 FCS wins? I assume they do not after their first round exit last year and the fact they're in the not so big south.

TheKingpin28
November 13th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Does Monmouth sneak in with 8 FCS wins? I assume they do not after their first round exit last year and the fact they're in the not so big south.If Monmouth gets in, they would be the UNH of old. No reason for them to even be sniffing the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ksu_owls
November 13th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Yea, they aren't that great and I truly believe the big south is a 1 team conference. BUT if they did get in and win something man I would be happy. won't happen though.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2018, 10:57 AM
WIU has a win against UNI and Montana.You are shameless.

You really expect anyone with a detectable brain wave to accept WIU’s win over a 5-5 Team that has lost 2 of their last 3, and just lost by 3 scores to a Team that lost to one of the worst Teams in FCS, that has lost to 2 even worse Teams AND who lost to the other “Good Win” you are trying to claim for them over a 6-4 Team that recently lost 3 in a row, including losing to a Big Lie perennial bottom-feeder...as a “Good Win.”

I’m not sure if your claim is heavier on circular logic or with confirmation bias, but I KNOW you DO have a lot in common with this guy..

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/invincible.gif

F'N Hawks
November 13th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Can the Furburger fans take a break til Saturday? You're making "UND2015post-selectionshow" fans look sane and chilled.

FUGameBreaker
November 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Can the Furburger fans take a break til Saturday? You're making "UND2015post-selectionshow" fans look sane and chilled.

If my team had no top 25 wins and a recent loss to (4-6) Idaho I guess that's how I would feel as well, nothing wrong with debating the bubble teams case for selection xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Can the Furburger fans take a break til Saturday? You're making "UND2015post-selectionshow" fans look sane and chilled.Perhaps, unlike some of my fellow Paladins, I wholly support such an armistice. I wouldn’t be posting anything about it, save for the ludicrous claims being made by so many Big Lie peeps, a few militant Valley peeps, and the flautist from JackState.

Only Mayweathering here.

kalm
November 14th, 2018, 09:03 AM
You are shameless.

You really expect anyone with a detectable brain wave to accept WIU’s win over a 5-5 Team that has lost 2 of their last 3, and just lost by 3 scores to a Team that lost to one of the worst Teams in FCS, that has lost to 2 even worse Teams AND who lost to the other “Good Win” you are trying to claim for them over a 6-4 Team that recently lost 3 in a row, including losing to a Big Lie perennial bottom-feeder...as a “Good Win.”

I’m not sure if your claim is heavier on circular logic or with confirmation bias, but I KNOW you DO have a lot in common with this guy..

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/invincible.gif

Dear Furman friends,

This is not personal.

I like Furman and the SoCon. I think you may be the best team in the conference right now. It's just that the conference is down this year compared to the last few. The SoCon lost it's only two games against quality OOC FCS opponents (Towson, Elon). What's your best OOC win? Gardner-Webb?

I plugged Furman and Colgate into the Massey simulator which has a high rate of predictability and it has you losing that game 23-10. It's a shame that game was cancelled and you didn't have a chance to prove it on the field but I'm guessing a vast majority of FCS fans and pundits who don't wear purple would pick Colgate as well. What that leaves you with is 1 bad FCS loss against a team you'll be measured against and 0 OOC wins. So we must rely upon the strength of the SoCon schedule versus the (in the case of WIU) #2 schedule in the nation with the same amount of wins. True you do have a win against a #15 Wofford who's best wins are against ETSU who hasn't beat anyone except in conference, UTC who again has not beat anyone except in conference, Mercer who hasn't ....you get the picture.

On the other hand, WIU went out and played Montana State, Illinois, and Montana on top of a brutal MVFC conference slate. That's why their SoS is #2 and yours is 28 and why they're well ahead of you in both Sagarin and Massey. I'm guessing the committees SRS will reflect the same.

And when did I use the phrase "good win" which you quoted me as saying? C'mon man...you're better than that. I merely stated who those teams have beat. "Good" is subjective. Just like assuming a win against an above .500 SoCon this year is "good". Which I happen to think it is but in your case I don't think it's going to be good enough to be selected over UNI, WIU, or Elon. Sorry.

FTR, I have Wofford at 15 and Furman at 20 in my poll.

Hope this helps ease the agitation a little for ya'll.

Still friends?

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Dear Furman friends,

This is not personal.

I like Furman and the SoCon. I think you may be the best team in the conference right now. It's just that the conference is down this year compared to the last few. The SoCon lost it's only two games against quality OOC FCS opponents (Towson, Elon). What's your best OOC win? Gardner-Webb?

I plugged Furman and Colgate into the Massey simulator which has a high rate of predictability and it has you losing that game 23-10. It's a shame that game was cancelled and you didn't have a chance to prove it on the field but I'm guessing a vast majority of FCS fans and pundits who don't wear purple would pick Colgate as well. What that leaves you with is 1 bad FCS loss against a team you'll be measured against and 0 OOC wins. So we must rely upon the strength of the SoCon schedule versus the (in the case of WIU) #2 schedule in the nation with the same amount of wins. True you do have a win against a #15 Wofford who's best wins are against ETSU who hasn't beat anyone except in conference, UTC who again has not beat anyone except in conference, Mercer who hasn't ....you get the picture.

On the other hand, WIU went out and played Montana State, Illinois, and Montana on top of a brutal MVFC conference slate. That's why their SoS is #2 and yours is 28 and why they're well ahead of you in both Sagarin and Massey. I'm guessing the committees SRS will reflect the same.

And when did I use the phrase "good win" which you quoted me as saying? C'mon man...you're better than that. I merely stated who those teams have beat. "Good" is subjective. Just like assuming a win against an above .500 SoCon this year is "good". Which I happen to think it is but in your case I don't think it's going to be good enough to be selected over UNI, WIU, or Elon. Sorry.

FTR, I have Wofford at 15 and Furman at 20 in my poll.

Hope this helps ease the agitation a little for ya'll.

Still friends?

Give it a rest already

Montana St. has zero wins over teams with winning records and that's without even playing an FBS game this year, you lose xthumbsupx

TheKingpin28
November 14th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Give it a rest already

Montana St. has zero wins over teams with winning records and that's without even playing an FBS game this year, you lose xthumbsupx

This is beyond rich coming from you.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 11:16 AM
This is beyond rich coming from you.

My point was his beef with FU(me), sure he can attack us all he wants but don't say "its not personal" when at this point it clearly is xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 11:28 AM
One thing I don't do anymore is talk smack (I did some in years past stupidly/jokingly and regret that, but this year I have kept things about the results on the football field)

Just off the top of my head kalm's thread of the SoCon being a pillow fight was pure smack, and most everything else he has come up with since, so don't say its not personal xthumbsupx

kalm
November 14th, 2018, 11:34 AM
My point was his beef with FU(me), sure he can attack us all he wants but don't say "its not personal" when at this point it clearly is xthumbsupx

I didn't attack "us". I came to a realization that Furman AND ICW were probably out. xlolx I didn't personally attack anyone, just backed it up with observations which can be debated in a rational, non- pearl clutching way if you try. I was then personally attacked by 3 Furman posters who suffered tremendous and righteous indignation over it all.

Oh my goodness!!!

xlolxxlolx

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/bml.gif

kalm
November 14th, 2018, 11:36 AM
One thing I don't do anymore is talk smack (I did some in years past stupidly/jokingly and regret that, but this year I have kept things about the results on the football field)

Just off the top of my head kalm's thread of the SoCon being a pillow fight was pure smack, and most everything else he has come up with since, so don't say its not personal xthumbsupx

Ok...I'll admit...I was a little guilty of smack with the thread title. :D

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 11:39 AM
I don't see how you can pick Montana St. out of this group, they have beaten zero teams with winning records and that's with not even playing an FBS game. Plus they have a win over Wagner.
No a very good case can be made for them.

Furman: (4 loses)(1 FBS lose)(hurricane canceled game)
Top 25 wins - #15 Wofford
Worst loss - (5-5) Samfrod

Incarnate Word: (4 loses)(2 FBS losses)(canceled game on own volition)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

WIU: (5 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) South Dakota

Idaho St.: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)
Top 25 wins - #25 Montana St.
Worst loss - (4-6) Cal Poly

North Dakota: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

UNI: (5 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU
Worst loss - (4-6) Youngstown St.

SE Missouri St.: (3 losses)(1 FBS lose)
Top 25 wins - #16 JSU
Worst loss - (5-5) Murray St.

Montana St.: (4 losses)(0 FBS games)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Idaho St.

Montana: (4 losses)(0 FBS games)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Portland St.

Indiana St.: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)
Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Missouri St.

Lamar: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)
Top 25 wins - #24 Incarnate Word
Worst loss - (4-6) NW St.

ACU: (4 losses)(1 FBS lose)(1 lower division win)
Top 25 wins - #17 Nicholls State
Worst loss - (2-7) SF Austin

kalm
November 14th, 2018, 12:05 PM
I don't see how you can pick Montana St. out of this group, they have beaten zero teams with winning records and that's with not even playing an FBS game. Plus they have a win over Wagner.

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

They'd be in over everyone on the list except Idaho State due to SoS, no bad losses, and/or one more DI win.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 12:09 PM
They'd be in over everyone on the list except Idaho State due to SoS, no bad losses, and/or one more DI win.

Your just eluding the most important fact, no good wins is a deal breaker
Not to mention a game against lowly Wagner and no FBS game

BEAR
November 14th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Southland

IWU is done. They can't go 1-0. They have no more games left. That's it.

The only way they can make the playoffs with winning 6 games is if Nicholls loses this weekend and IWU gets the autobid OR for some gawdawful reason they get chosen at-large by a commitee that wouldn't choose a 9-2 McNeese last year. xlolx

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 12:18 PM
IWU is done. They can't go 1-0. They have no more games left. That's it.

The only way they can make the playoffs with winning 6 games is if Nicholls loses this weekend and IWU gets the autobid OR for some gawdawful reason they get chosen at-large by a commitee that wouldn't choose a 9-2 McNeese last year. xlolx

I agree, no quarter should be given to a team that canceled a perfectly playable game at their own volition, getting a pass due to hurricane conditions is one thing but Incarnate Word made their own decision to cancel the North Alabama game based on nothing but money, which is fine but they made their own bed with that one.

kalm
November 14th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Your just eluding the most important fact, no good wins is a deal breaker
Not to mention a whimp game against Wagner and no FBS game

Lack of quality wins is a metric when comparing resumes between teams with the same record, similar SoS, H2H, etc. That's why MSU is a bubble team and will be compared to other 7-4 from the SLC, EKU (ugh). But's also a subjective metric. Is a win against a 6-5 SHSU or Mercer a good win? Is it better than a win against a 5-6 URI or UNI?

If it's the most important fact than URI has a win over Delaware and a stronger SoS than anyone in the SLC, SoCon, Big South, or OVC. It's also a better win than any from those 4 conferences. Why aren't they in the discussion at 6-5? But what if UNH beats them this week with a win against JMU. At 5-6 they'd only be one game behind the 6 win teams with better metrics across the board.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Lack of quality wins is a metric when comparing resumes between teams with the same record, similar SoS, H2H, etc. That's why MSU is a bubble team and will be compared to other 7-4 from the SLC, EKU (ugh). But's also a subjective metric. Is a win against a 6-5 SHSU or Mercer a good win? Is it better than a win against a 5-6 URI or UNI?

If it's the most important fact than URI has a win over Delaware and a stronger SoS than anyone in the SLC, SoCon, Big South, or OVC. It's also a better win than any from those 4 conferences. Why aren't they in the discussion at 6-5? But what if UNH beats them this week with a win against JMU. At 5-6 they'd only be one game behind the 6 win teams with better metrics across the board.

Playing Wagner and no FBS game works against Montana St., them getting 1 more win on that is not a strong case at all

Them having beaten nobody is the most important thing to the selection committee every year, 0 wins against teams with a winning record and certainly 0 wins against ranked teams

Furman having a top 15 win is a huge boost, and no bad losses

Montana St. has a case, but its weak at best

uni88
November 14th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Playing Wagner and no FBS game works against Montana St., them getting 1 more win on that is not a strong case at all

Them having beaten nobody is the most important thing to the selection committee every year, 0 wins against teams with a winning record and certainly 0 wins against ranked teams

Montana St. has a case, but its weak at bestAn FBS game only matters if you win and you probably get some respect if you take them to the wire. An FBS butt-kicking is irrelevant.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 01:03 PM
An FBS game only matters if you win and you probably get some respect if you take them to the wire. An FBS butt-kicking is irrelevant.

Your not seeing the point, he's trying to give Montana St. credit for 1 more win, playing Wagner and no FBS loss (so 4 fcs losses, 2 of which were blowouts) and no good wins makes that virtually irrelevant

Catbooster
November 14th, 2018, 01:15 PM

At least they haven't lost to any unranked teams without a winning record like Furman has xthumbsupx. Here's a few teams with winning records - Columbia, Bethune-Cookman, Central Connecticut State, Eastern Kentucky, Drake, Jackson State, Hampton. You think we look better with a win over one of those teams instead of WIU? You seem to only have one argument - we beat Wofford. Well, Weber got beat by NAU. That doesn't mean NAU is a better team than EWU, who lost to WSU.

You're using one superficial criteria for your argument and then you're upset that not everyone agrees with your conclusion. Just because you spam it all over the threads doesn't make it a better argument.

Catbooster
November 14th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Montana St. has a case, but its weak at best
No one's arguing that beating Wofford isn't a big boost for Furman. What we're saying is that it's only one data point and the committee will look at other things as well.

Preferred Walk-On
November 14th, 2018, 01:28 PM

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (6-4) Lamar

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none
Worst loss - (4-6) Idaho

Top 25 wins - #5 SDSU

Top 25 wins - #16 JSU

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Top 25 wins - none

Not trying to jump into the fray too much. But I wonder what this would look like if instead of "Worst loss", one looked at "Top 25 losses" (just like looking at Top 25 wins). I realize this might fall into the "moral victory" category, but it might shed some light on why some teams don't have a Top 25 win and is potentially more comparable than worst loss. It also sheds some light on any SOS argument. Just my xtwocentsx.

NOTE: I have no problem with passionate fans advocating for their team. So carry on FUGameBreaker!

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Not trying to jump into the fray too much. But I wonder what this would look like if instead of "Worst loss", one looked at "Top 25 losses" (just like looking at Top 25 wins). I realize this might fall into the "moral victory" category, but it might shed some light on why some teams don't have a Top 25 win and is potentially more comparable than worst loss. It also sheds some light on any SOS argument. Just my xtwocentsx.

NOTE: I have no problem with passionate fans advocating for their team. So carry on FUGameBreaker!

These two bullet points show what a bubble team is capable of, I know for a fact the committee has stated they are extremely important

It shows who you are capable of beating

And it shows who you are capable of losing to

If I laid it out your way Furman would still look good, with losses to @Clemson, ranked @Elon, and 2 point loss to ranked @ETSU

If someone wants to lay all that out on a post we can analyze each team on that as well

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 01:39 PM
No one's arguing that beating Wofford isn't a big boost for Furman. What we're saying is that it's only one data point and the committee will look at other things as well.

I am looking at multiple things:

Furman beat #15 Wofford (and 6-4 UTC), Montana St. has beaten no ranked team or any team with a winning record

Furman has an FBS lose as one of its losses, all of Montana St. losses are FCS and 2 were blowouts

Neither team played a lower division team, neither team has a bad loss, but you can't tell me the Wagner win carries very much weight to it

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Jebus, I wish the hurricane hadn't caused the Colgate game to be canceled. Would have saved us all from this incessant bleating if Furman was sitting at 5-5 instead of 5-4..........

maine612
November 14th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Jebus, I wish the hurricane hadn't caused the Colgate game to be canceled. Would have saved us all from this incessant bleating if Furman was sitting at 5-5 instead of 5-4..........

But that would have been yet another quality loss!!

semobison
November 14th, 2018, 02:10 PM

FU is a knucklehead . Furman got beat by Elon 45-7, didn't score until the 4th qtr. That's a bad loss in any conference.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 02:20 PM
FU is a knucklehead . Furman got beat by Elon 45-7, didn't score until the 4th qtr. That's a bad loss in any conference.

Correct lost at ranked elon bad

Montana St. lost badly twice, to SDSU 45-14 and EWU 34-17, games were not even close

The facts are right in front of you guys xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Furman checks all the boxes:

Top 15 win against Wofford (34-14), and also beat 6-4 UTC

Does not have a bad loss or loss to a team with a losing record

Did not play a lower division team (those wins don't count by the committee)

One of their losses was to FBS (Clemson)(FBS losses usually get thrown out)

No other team on the bubble has all that going for it

If we beat Mercer we should be in xthumbsupx

semobison
November 14th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Montana St. lost badly twice, to SDSU 45-14 and EWU 34-17, games were not even close

A few weeks ago you were saying UNI's lost to NDSU was equal to Furmans loss to Elon! Not even close, UNI led after 3 qtrs to a great team, Furman trailed 38-0 after three qtrs to a better than average team.
You have way too much time on your hands to dance around manipulating results to favor a 5-4 Furman team that may or may not make the playoffs... and is very fortunate the Bubble is weak this year!

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 02:35 PM
A few weeks ago you were saying UNI's lost to NDSU was equal to Furmans loss to Elon! Not even close, UNI led after 3 qtrs to a great team, Furman trailed 38-0 after three qtrs to a better than average team.
You have way too much time on your hands to dance around manipulating results to favor a 5-4 Furman team that may or may not make the playoffs... and is very fortunate the Bubble is weak this year!

I never said it was equal, I said there is nothing great about losing a conference game at home by 25 points

Are we comparing UNI with 5 losses now, or are we comparing Montana St?

I am not manipulating anything, again here are facts:

semobison
November 14th, 2018, 02:43 PM
I never said it was equal, I said there is nothing great about losing a conference game at home by 25 points

I am not manipulation anything, again here are facts:

Bull****! You lined up the games side by side and I argued that very point with you. You dodge my point repeatedly!!!

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Bull****! You lined up the games side by side and I argued that very point with you. You dodge my point repeatedly!!!

What I said was UNI does not get any special credit for losing at home by 25 points xthumbsupx

Its not even worth talking about at this point, with 5 losses and a recent 21 point drubbing by 4-6 Youngstown UNI is all but toast now anyways

semobison
November 14th, 2018, 03:03 PM
What I said was UNI does not get any special credit for losing at home by 25 points xthumbsupx

Its not even worth talking about at this point, with 5 losses and a recent 21 point drubbing by 4-6 Youngstown UNI is all but toast now anyways

Bull****...again. You better go back and start editing because when I have time I'm going to dig it up. You also called FU's win over Wofford and UNI's win over SDSU a wash.
And FYI, you don't want to be bashing Youngstown by the way they have played the past two weeks. Too bad they **** the bed to start the season!

MSUBobcat
November 14th, 2018, 03:04 PM

I am not manipulating anything, again here are facts:

First, what is your obsession with MSU? Most of us figure a Brawl win likely gets us in the playoffs, but we acknowledge that it's due to an excessively weak bubble this year and we don't expect much more than a 1st round win. Would it make you STFU if we say, "yes, Furple is slightly better than a team that has NO REASONABLE chance at going far in the 2018 playoffs."? Cuz I'll say that right now if it means we can move the f*!) on from this topic.

Second, getting DESTROYED by Elon is a bad loss and will look even worse if Elon loses to Maine on Saturday. FU was down 45 to NOTHING in the 4th. Not sure how you can even debate that point

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Bull****...again. You better go back and start editing because when I have time I'm going to dig it up. You also called FU's win over Wofford and UNI's win over SDSU a wash.
And FYI, you don't want to be bashing Youngstown by the way they have played the past two weeks. Too bad they **** the bed to start the season!

Your typing but your not really saying anything

Are you still backing UNI after this past weekend? lol
Just give it up already they are toast

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:09 PM
First, what is your obsession with MSU? Most of us figure a Brawl win likely gets us in the playoffs, but we acknowledge that it's due to an excessively weak bubble this year and we don't expect much more than a 1st round win. Would it make you STFU if we say, "yes, Furple is slightly better than a team that has NO REASONABLE chance at going far in the 2018 playoffs."? Cuz I'll say that right now if it means we can move the f*!) on from this topic.

Second, getting DESTROYED by Elon is a bad loss and will look even worse if Elon loses to Maine on Saturday. FU was down 45 to NOTHING in the 4th. Not sure how you can even debate that point

Your EWU mate (kalm) is the one that started the whole Mt. St. comparison with Furman, so I had to set the record straight with him xthumbsupx

Catbooster
November 14th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Furman checks all the boxes:

If we beat Mercer we should be in xthumbsupx
Seriously? Your post right above this says MSU has two bad losses (#5 SDSU 45-14 and #2 EWU 34-17) and then you say FU has no bad losses (#14 Elon 45-7). You should at least let a couple other posts get between them first so it won't be so obvious xembarrassedx.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Also, Montana St. got destroyed by 2 FCS teams this year, and those games were not even close at all xthumbsupx

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Seriously? Your post right above this says MSU has two bad losses (#5 SDSU 45-14 and #2 EWU 34-17) and then you say FU has no bad losses (#14 Elon 45-7). You should at least let a couple other posts get between them first so it won't be so obvious xembarrassedx.

You are lost, I never said Mt. St. has a bad loss, I was countering the point of Furman losing badly @Elon with the fact that Mt. St. got destroyed by SDSU and EWU

1 blowout FCS loss is less than 2 xthumbsupx

semobison
November 14th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Your typing but your not really saying anything

Are you still backing UNI after this past weekend? lol
Just give it up already they are toast

Im not backing UNI, I'm using an example from previous weeks to call your continuous BS!
Furman is 5-4 and may or may not make the playoffs, everything else is crap!

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Im not backing UNI, I'm using an example from previous weeks to call your continuous BS!
Furman is 5-4 and may or may not make the playoffs, everything else is crap!

And what was your point then?

Catbooster
November 14th, 2018, 03:17 PM

I'll concede you didn't say MSU had any bad losses, you said they lost badly. xrolleyesx

Edit: I should have known better than to join in this thread. I had hoped you wanted to discuss football and the relative merits of teams on the bubble. Obviously you just want to troll.

gofurman
November 14th, 2018, 03:18 PM

MSUBobcat, I am OBJECTIVE as a Furman fan. I am.

We were whooped by Elon. No doubt. Without our quarterback. the very Elon that went and ended JMUs winning streak of 20 something games AT JMU. that was a top 3 Elon team. Then they lost their star QB and RB for the year I believe. I know the star RB is gone. Forever. Now they are NOT the same team we played. Not. At. All. If they lose to Maine its, well, not worth talking about

MSU, you are RIGHT. This whole thing has gone on too Far. It's a weak bubble. I hope Furman can beat Mercer. I hope We can squeak get in the playoffs. We probably deserve that if we beat Mercer. That I would say is fair. We probably get BEAT DOWN in the first round. But I would like the extra week of practices and reps for a young team

That's all. Reasonable fans are out there.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:19 PM
I'll concede you didn't say MSU had any bad losses, you said they lost badly. xrolleyesx

And I only brought that up after someone brought up our game at Elon, while comparing us to Mt. St.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Like I have said when comparing bubble teams, Furman checks all the boxes:

Furman should be in IF we beat Mercer xthumbsupx

semobison
November 14th, 2018, 03:24 PM
And what was your point then?

Follow closely.... Most of your arguments are repetitive crapola and have become quite annoying.
Here, I'll finish the Mt.St. arguement for you. Mt. St is 146 and Furman 147 in Sagarin!

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Follow closely.... Most of your arguments are repetitive crapola and have become quite annoying.
Here, I'll finish the Mt.St. arguement for you. Mt. St is 146 and Furman 147 in Sagarin!

So essentially dead even in Sagarin, yet we have a top 15 win and they have no win over a winning team, advantage Furman, great xthumbsupx