PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Harvard-Yale Thread

Ivytalk
November 10th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Should be a packed crowd at Fenway, with almost as many one-percenters as a Red Sox game.

Harvard feeling its oats now, especially defensively. Good running game. Need a good QB outing and have to win the turnover battle.

Yale offense potent, but can its D stop anybody?

Should be be a good one, but I like Harvard by something like 28-21.

bulldog10jw
November 10th, 2018, 07:22 PM
I don't expect Harvard's offense to be anywhere near as hard to stop as Princeton's.

That being said, Yale's D is their weakness, but they have been able to stop the run for the most part against everyone but Princeton and Dartmouth. Is Harvard's offense line as good as those two teams?

Yale's DB's are short and can be exploited, but I wonder if Harvard is capable of doing that consistently?

Yale has moved the ball against everyone.

As good as O'Connor has been, I would feel better with Rawlings in there.

On the other hand, Yale won with a freshman two years ago.

Yale has talent everywhere on offense. I think they should score in the 30's. Hopefully the D can make some plays.

Yale 35 Harvard 24

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2018, 07:43 AM
The karma factor favors Harvard: oldest university in America, playing in the oldest baseball venue in MLB, home of the Olde Towne Team.

1636 beats 1701.

Plus the revenge factor.

Son of Eli
November 11th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Game will be on ESPN2

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2018, 10:26 AM
There is no revenge factor for Harvard. The statute of limitations on Yale's revenge factor for nine straight losses has not expired

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2018, 12:01 PM
There is no revenge factor for Harvard. The statute of limitations on Yale's revenge factor for nine straight losses has not expired
Must spread reputation around...:)

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Game will be on ESPN2
Awesome! They don’t have Dowling in the broadcast booth, do they?

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Awesome! They don’t have Dowling in the broadcast booth, do they?

IT, do you remember the sports show, "The Way it Was" with Curt Gowdy. The format was reliving famous games with a panel of players, three from each team, sharing their thoughts about the game as they showed highlights.

They actually did the Yale-Harvard 1968 tie. Dowling and Cozza were two of the Yale panelists and Frank Champi was there for Harvard.

I think the series may have originally been on PBS. I'm not certain, though.

I have looked for it on YouTube but the only episode of "The Way it Was" I found was the 7th game of the Celtics-Lakers 1962 finals.

It would be fun to watch again, this being the 50th anniversary.

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2018, 09:32 PM
IT, do you remember the sports show, "The Way it Was" with Curt Gowdy. The format was reliving famous games with a panel of players, three from each team, sharing their thoughts about the game as they showed highlights.

They actually did the Yale-Harvard 1968 tie. Dowling and Cozza were two of the Yale panelists and Frank Champi was there for Harvard.

I think the series may have originally been on PBS. I'm not certain, though.

I have looked for it on YouTube but the only episode of "The Way it Was" I found was the 7th game of the Celtics-Lakers 1962 finals.

It would be fun to watch again, this being the 50th anniversary.
Indeed it would! I remember the Gowdy show, but I don’t remember that episode. When I was in law school, in 1978, the Globe did a 10th anniversary piece about that game. IIRC, Champi really didn’t want to be bothered.

caribbeanhen
November 12th, 2018, 07:53 AM
both Yale and Delaware are going to be a Monkey lighter after Saturday

bulldog10jw
November 12th, 2018, 06:27 PM
both Yale and Delaware are going to be a Monkey lighter after Saturday

I think Zippo lighters have more re-sale value

bonarae
November 13th, 2018, 08:25 PM
ICYMI (though I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread):

The 1968 Edition of The Game: A Reflection

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20181112_1968

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2018, 05:25 PM
ICYMI (though I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread):

The 1968 Edition of The Game: A Reflection

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20181112_1968

Which event had more significance the weekend of 11/22/68 - 11/24/68?

Yale 29 Harvard 29 or

The Beatles releasing the White Album

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2018, 10:19 PM

Yale 29 Harvard 29 or

Depends on whom you ask!:)

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2018, 09:09 AM
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/11/16/galland-what-they-dont-tell-you-about-yale-football/

When you visit the campus for your official visit as a senior in high school on a recruiting trip, everyone you meet tells you all sorts of things about Yale University and the Yale football program. But there’s a lot they don’t tell you.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2018, 06:23 PM
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/11/16/galland-what-they-dont-tell-you-about-yale-football/

When you visit the campus for your official visit as a senior in high school on a recruiting trip, everyone you meet tells you all sorts of things about Yale University and the Yale football program. But there’s a lot they don’t tell you.
And if you don’t beat Harvard at least twice, you’ll be cleaning the restrooms at Yale Bowl with a toothbrush as a graduating senior.

Son of Eli
November 16th, 2018, 10:04 PM
This is an intriguing match-up. Yale has the better offense. Harvard has the better defense. Both have injuries to key players and QB’s who were not starters at the start of the season. Usually the team with the best defense wins. However, Reno is like a shark in the water who smells blood. He will not blow this opportunity to defeat Harvard three years in a row. Destiny is calling. Yale will prevail!

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2018, 10:12 PM
This is an intriguing match-up. Yale has the better offense. Harvard has the better defense. Both have injuries to key players and QB’s who were not starters at the start of the season. Usually the team with the best defense wins. However, Reno is like a shark in the water who smells blood. He will not blow this opportunity to defeat Harvard three years in a row. Destiny is calling. Yale will prevail!
Are you World’s doppelgänger?

Son of Eli
November 16th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Are you World’s doppelgänger?

It’s been working for him this year so why not! Another prediction, all Harvard fans will remember the name Griffin O’Connor after tomorrow.

Son of Eli
November 16th, 2018, 10:26 PM

Yale 29 Harvard 29 or

Great question. I’m as big a Beatle fan as I am a Yale fan. White Album wins hands down. Get the new delux remastered edition if you can. It’s awesome.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 17th, 2018, 10:01 AM
This Gameday segment on the paralyzed Harvard player is heartbreaking.

Grizalltheway
November 17th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Might be more empty seats than full ones at Fenway Pahk.xlolx

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Harvard wins it, 45-27. Undefeated at Fenway.

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Harvard wins it, 45-27. Undefeated at Fenway.

Congrats to Harvard. D was the difference. When Yale had to settle for the two FG's, I knew they were in trouble.

I would have gone for it on 4th and 2 inside the 10 when it was 28-24 instead of kicking, although I could see Reno's reasoning.

But by that point it seemed to me that Yale was going to have to score TD's every time they had the ball.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Already looking forward to next year, bulldog! O’Connor is very good, but Stewart played well today. I thought our running game was outstanding.

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2018, 04:13 PM
I thought our running game was outstanding.

I bet the vast majority of Harvard's rushing yards were in the 4th quarter.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2018, 05:22 PM
I bet the vast majority of Harvard's rushing yards were in the 4th quarter.
When we needed them.