PDA

View Full Version : Devlin Hodges

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 09:13 AM
This doesn't seem to get enough notice on here, but Samford's Devlin Hodges is 721 yards away from breaking Steve McNair's FCS passing yards record (14,496).

Samford has two regular season games remaining against two pretty stingy defenses (Citadel and ETSU). If Samford makes the postseason (they have to win both of those games), he will almost assuredly break the record.

721 yards in two games is not guaranteed, but Hodges routinely puts up 300-400 yard passing days, so it is certainly within reach.

https://twitter.com/SamfordFootball/status/1060320999814586368

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Pretty much anytime you pass Steve McNair in any career passing statistic it's a pretty remarkable achievement. That guy was something else for this level of football. None of us will ever see a 1AA/FCS player finish in the top 3 in the Heisman voting again in our lifetime.

SU DOG
November 10th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Thanks for this post PF. Devlin seems to also be a good humble guy who always gives his WRs and O-Line the kudos. He does have at least one BIG way in which he can be compared to QB Carson Wentz - they are both huge duck hunters.
BTW, I think he has one more year of eligibility left. xlolx

Schism55
November 10th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Doesn't get much notice because Samford hasn't won jack **** in his time there...grand total of ZERO playoff wins xeyebrowx

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Doesn't get much notice because Samford hasn't won jack **** in his time there...grand total of ZERO playoff wins xeyebrowxFunny, that’s the exact same number of career Playoff wins as Steve McNair (0-2) had. He finished 3rd in Heisman voting without ever winning a Playoff game. Obviously, he deserved ZERO recognition, instead.

Grizalltheway
November 10th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Doesn't get much notice because Samford hasn't won jack **** in his time there...grand total of ZERO playoff wins xeyebrowx
There's always one guy.

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2018, 12:34 PM
I guess I’m not nearly as impressed as maybe I should be because he’s got a boatload of INTS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I guess I’m not nearly as impressed as maybe I should be because he’s got a boatload of INTS.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo kidding. He’s thrown 40. McNair threw 58.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 01:28 PM
You know who leads the NFL in passing interceptions? Brett Farve. You know who leads the NFL in passing attempts? Brett Farve.

It's almost as if throwing the ball more increases your chances of an interception.

POD Knows
November 10th, 2018, 03:42 PM
There's always one guy.
Two guys. Count me in. Don’t care what his numbers are. Their team is a non factor. No idea how good this guy is but great stats.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Two guys. Count me in. Don’t care what his numbers are. Their team is a non factor. No idea how good this guy is but great stats.

He's really impressive. It's not just a "system" either. He throws a beautiful ball, can run, change arm angles, escape pressure, throw on the run, the whole bit.

I think Samford's air raid offense sort of holds him back, frankly. They just can't run the ball and stall in the redzone (like they've done today).

POD Knows
November 10th, 2018, 03:59 PM
He's really impressive. It's not just a "system" either. He throws a beautiful ball, can run, change arm angles, escape pressure, throw on the run, the whole bit.

I think Samford's air raid offense sort of holds him back, frankly. They just can't run the ball and stall in the redzone (like they've done today).
I wish him well. I always vote for the FCS guys.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:16 PM
It sucks that Hodges won't win a playoff game this year.

Samford (possibly) beating the top 3 socon teams and losing to teams 4-6 is totally on brand for them.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 06:21 PM
It sucks that Hodges won't win a playoff game this year.

Samford (possibly) beating the top 3 socon teams and losing to teams 4-6 is totally on brand for them.Assumes facts not in evidence (yet)

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Assumes facts not in evidence (yet)

I have no idea where the standings will end up, but if Furman and ETSU win next week, there will be a 3 way tie at the top, Samford will be somewhere and the next 3 teams (in some order) will be the citadel, Chattanooga, and Mercer.

Sounds about right.

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 06:28 PM
I have no idea where the standings will end up, but if Furman and ETSU win next week, there will be a 3 way tie at the top, Samford will be somewhere and the next 3 teams (in some order) will be the citadel, Chattanooga, and Mercer.

Sounds about right.

ETSU has to lose for there to be a tie.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2018, 06:40 PM
ETSU has to lose for there to be a tie.

I mean, how many points do they have to lose by to not get the autobid, relative to Wofford.

walliver
November 10th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Imagine what Hodges could have done with a better coach.

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 07:41 PM
I mean, how many points do they have to lose by to not get the autobid, relative to Wofford.

It's already done. If they lose, they lose it all. Doubt they get an at large.

BisonTru
November 10th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Best QB in FCS imo but not at McNair or other FCS greats like Flacco/Wentz level, tho.

I’d like to see Samford get a shot in the playoffs. They are an intriguing team.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 07:57 PM
It's already done. If they lose, they lose it all. Doubt they get an at large.
8-3 SoCon Co-Champ with only FCS losses to another Playoff Team & what everyone knows is a very good (yet non-Playoff) Team. I dissent.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Best QB in FCS imo but not at McNair or other FCS greats like Flacco/Wentz level, tho.

I’d like to see Samford get a shot in the playoffs. They are an intriguing team.

I agree with you, but at a best possible record of 6-5 with only 5 D1 wins, Samford will not get a shot at the Playoffs...unless something quite shocking occurs.

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 08:28 PM
8-3 SoCon Co-Champ with only FCS losses to another Playoff Team & what everyone knows is a very good (yet non-Playoff) Team. I dissent.

Maybe, but I got a feeling. Depends on how they lose, if they lose. Samford is a good team, if they win they get in any way. They beat Furman when they were down, they lost to Wofford. If Samford beats them, what other notable win do they have? UTC? And lots of close wins. It depends on the rest of the field.