PDA

View Full Version : Bomar on ESPN this Friday...

kats89
April 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
From the Huntsville Local Paper...

SHSU quarterback to be featured on ESPN program

Sam Houston State quarterback Rhett Bomar will be featured on ESPN’s Outside the Lines on Friday.

ESPN camera crews and college football insider Joe Schad were on campus conducting interviews and shooting footage Friday and Saturday. The program is scheduled to air at 2:30 p.m.

I am sure this is all about the problems he got into at Oklahoma.xcoffeex

AppGuy04
April 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
I am sure this is all about the problems he got into at Oklahoma.xcoffeex

Don't tell me you actually thought it wouldn't be?

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Can't beat some publicity about the Bearkats football program...

Probably will show some footage of him throwing around the ball to some of our receiving corps...

Bomar also finished #2 at Sam Houston State in the Facebook Bracket Contest...one point back of the winner...

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
patssle is reporting on KatFans..."They also interviewed Whitten and Hicks."

blackfordpu
April 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Can't beat some publicity about the Bearkats football program...

Probably will show some footage of him throwing around the ball to some of our receiving corps...

Bomar also finished #2 at Sam Houston State in the Facebook Bracket Contest...one point back of the winner...

You think that may be a topic of conversation?;) xlolx

PSUVikings
April 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
I'll be watching for that

Spooney-Cat
April 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Don't tell me you actually thought it wouldn't be?

Yeah, 100% of the reason they are there is his story of his mishaps at Oklahoma, he just happens to be stuck in Huntsville...

patssle
April 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
But in the end...we'll be on ESPN.

Bomar had good answers during the interview....he is focused on SHSU. The SLC better watch out.

patssle
April 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
ESPN has moved the interview to tomorrow...Wednesday at 2:30.

blackfordpu
April 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM
ESPN has moved the interview to tomorrow...Wednesday at 2:30.

damn, I'm going to miss it.

Can someone record it and put it on youtube or something. xconfusedx xrotatehx

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
This link to the Bearkat web site features video from the Bomar/Whitten interview that aired on KRIV-TV in Houston...

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/espn.html

exbearkat
April 3rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, 100% of the reason they are there is his story of his mishaps at Oklahoma, he just happens to be stuck in Huntsville...
Yep, and the spotlight will continue to shine on RB over the course of the next TWO football seasons as well! This kid is saying and doing all the right things - as he should - which I fully expect will translate into a lot of W's for SH. xthumbsupx

GeauxLions94
April 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM
But in the end...we'll be on ESPN.

Bomar had good answers during the interview....he is focused on SHSU. The SLC better watch out.

That's it. No need for anyone to play this season xrolleyesx. Seriously, some good national pub for Sam Houston.

kats89
April 4th, 2007, 06:19 AM
The interview is now going to be showed on Wednesday at 230pm, "Outside the Lines".

Sam_Kats
April 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
As you claim, he is "stuck" in Huntsville, but remember he CHOSE not to attend TSU3.

Wait...I remember, Bailiff didn't want him to mess up the chemistry he was building. How's that working out for ya? xeekx

TexasTerror
April 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
From Bearkat Athletics...

Sam Houston State quarterback Rhett Bomar will be interviewed on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" during the week of April 9-14. An exact air time has yet to be announced.

The interview was scheduled to be aired Wednesday, April 4, but was postponed due to a tribute to Hall of Fame Grambling football coach Eddie Robinson who passed away this week.

ESPN college football expert Joe Schad and his camera crew were in Huntsville Friday and Saturday interviewing Bearkat players and coaches and filming football spring practice.

http://bearkats.shsu.edu/football/espn.html

HPCAT
April 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
As you claim, he is "stuck" in Huntsville, but remember he CHOSE not to attend TSU3.

Wait...I remember, Bailiff didn't want him to mess up the chemistry he was building. How's that working out for ya? xeekx

Well, since TXST has won more SLC games than anyone in the last 3 years, I guess pretty good. :p

Those are hard facts that even the Terrorist will be hard pressed to spin.

It would have been nice to have more than one SLC championship, I must admit.

Come on, Sam_Kats, I give you more credit than this TSU3 crap. xsmhx

xpeacex

patssle
April 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM
2 losing seasons in 3 years. excellent chemistry.

TexasTerror
April 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Well, since TXST has won more SLC games than anyone in the last 3 years, I guess pretty good. :p

Those are hard facts that even the Terrorist will be hard pressed to spin.

It would have been nice to have more than one SLC championship, I must admit.

Come on, Sam_Kats, I give you more credit than this TSU3 crap. xsmhx

xpeacex

Bobcats have a new coach...we'll see how the results translate to a new coach. Can the 'Cats stay in contention for SLC supremacy or will they fall back to their pre-Bailiff placing in the cellar of the Southland...

Bobcat faithful did not seem too optimistic a few weeks ago...

patssle
April 4th, 2007, 02:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

under "OTL Upcoming Stories" below Eddie Robinson. just a 30-second clip of Bomar talking.

McNeese75
April 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM

under "OTL Upcoming Stories" below Eddie Robinson. just a 30-second clip of Bomar talking.

xcoffeex

Spooney-Cat
April 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Bobcats have a new coach...we'll see how the results translate to a new coach. Can the 'Cats stay in contention for SLC supremacy or will they fall back to their pre-Bailiff placing in the cellar of the Southland...

Bobcat faithful did not seem too optimistic a few weeks ago...

Rah rah rah rah. SLC football is up in the air as all of you know. If we're not contending for the title at the end of the regular season, then I'm just as happy to play spoiler to you guys xthumbsupx

Gosh that sounds familiar?

We'll see how your Kats fair this weekend for some baseball action. It's time to seperate the men from the boys on the diamond before we hit the gridiron.

exbearkat
April 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Latest from the athletic office has the Bomar segment airing TODAY on "Outside the Lines" at 2:30 PM Central...xconfusedx

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Preview story from ESPN...includes quotes from SHSU head coach Todd Whitten and QB Brett Hicks...

Former OU QB gets new start at Sam Houston State
By Joe Schad
ESPN.com

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -- Rhett Bomar is standing in his bedroom, a room so small that it barely contains his bed and two dressers.

The room is all but barren.

On one wood dresser rests the most valuable player trophy he claimed while quarterbacking Oklahoma to victory at the Holiday Bowl two seasons ago. On one white wall is a plaque, featuring a picture of Bomar wearing a crimson and cream No. 7 Sooners jersey.

Rhett Bomar keeps the Oklahoma jersey he wore in the Holiday Bowl in his dorm room at Sam Houston State.

"I'm proud of my time there," Bomar explains. "I'm not going to throw it away or anything like that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2824353

Spooney-Cat
April 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Preview story from ESPN...includes quotes from SHSU head coach Todd Whitten and QB Brett Hicks...

Former OU QB gets new start at Sam Houston State
By Joe Schad
ESPN.com

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -- Rhett Bomar is standing in his bedroom, a room so small that it barely contains his bed and two dressers.

The room is all but barren.

On one wood dresser rests the most valuable player trophy he claimed while quarterbacking Oklahoma to victory at the Holiday Bowl two seasons ago. On one white wall is a plaque, featuring a picture of Bomar wearing a crimson and cream No. 7 Sooners jersey.

Rhett Bomar keeps the Oklahoma jersey he wore in the Holiday Bowl in his dorm room at Sam Houston State.

"I'm proud of my time there," Bomar explains. "I'm not going to throw it away or anything like that."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2824353

I hope he has his mind 100% with the Bearkats now. He needs to get out of his scrapbook and look to the future.

HPCAT
April 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
2 losing seasons in 3 years. excellent chemistry.

Maybe not excellent by any means, but it seems like it was better than any other school in the SLC.

No one else has more wins (OOC or SLC) in that period.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Maybe not excellent by any means, but it seems like it was better than any other school in the SLC.

No one else has more wins (OOC or SLC) in that period.

Partially because the boys in San Marcos have played the easiest schedule! Most SLC schools have played two or in some cases, three FBS foes the last few years. The 'Cats have played the more 'optimal' schedule (one sub-Div I and one FBS foe) yearly and of course, the semifinal run featured two games against sub-Div I foes which put the 'Cats an OT loss to the Kats away from missing the post-season...xreadx

BearBull24
April 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM
UCA is looking forward to Bomar coming to conway. There is a lot of OU fans here that don't like him that much. But I'm sure the game is going to be good overall

Spooney-Cat
April 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Partially because the boys in San Marcos have played the easiest schedule! Most SLC schools have played two or in some cases, three FBS foes the last few years. The 'Cats have played the more 'optimal' schedule (one sub-Div I and one FBS foe) yearly and of course, the semifinal run featured two games against sub-Div I foes which put the 'Cats an OT loss to the Kats away from missing the post-season...xreadx

But did it happen? NO

Mr. C
April 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
The Bomar story is on right now on ESPN

Mr. C
April 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Bomar was honest about what happened in the story and seemed to be contrite about his mistakes.

Todd Whitten's best quote was that Bomar was a kid that made a mistake and that kids deserve second chances.

There was a lot of great footage of Bomar, both at Oklahoma and in practice at Sam Houston State. He looks very impressive, maybe more so than Dustin Long in terms of talent. Could be the best player at SHSU since McCown.

Overall was a good piece, but I didn't like how they tried to make a big deal how that the incident and playing at Sam Houston State might hurt his chances at the NFL.

Outside the Lines is usually shown again late in the evening, so people will have another chance to see it, most likely. Check your TV listings.

treacherous
April 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM
ESPN has a link to the video on the OTL website:

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Someone posted the whole thing on You Tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-iz1_rzfE

exbearkat
April 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Bomar was honest about what happened in the story and seemed to be contrite about his mistakes.

Todd Whitten's best quote was that Bomar was a kid that made a mistake and that kids deserve second chances.

There was a lot of great footage of Bomar, both at Oklahoma and in practice at Sam Houston State. He looks very impressive, maybe more so than Dustin Long in terms of talent. Could be the best player at SHSU since McCown.
I agree with you 110%. Dustin Long had talent, but he had nowhere near the foot-speed that Bomar possesses. Once defenses realized late in the year ('04) that Long really couldn't hurt them too much with his feet, the majority of the teams started dropping more into coverage on a pretty consistent basis. To me, this is what ultimately sealed our fate in the semi's when we played in Missoula against the Griz. Defenses will most definitely not have that luxury the next two seasons as RB will burn them on the ground in huge chunks of yardage. I also agree with the comparison to McCown, although Josh was a 4.6 guy whereas RB runs a legit 4.5. Both do have comparable arms in regards to overall strength and accuracy though.

If nothing else, should be an extremely FUN two years in Huntsville! xnodx xthumbsupx

kats89
April 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Good piece on Bomar, but just another chance for ESPN to take shots at FCS football.xcoffeex

blackfordpu
April 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Good piece on Bomar, but just another chance for ESPN to take shots at FCS football.xcoffeex

Yea, I caught those too. xrolleyesx

I agree with you Ex, it is going to be a fun two seasons.

Panther88
April 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Is there a chance that Bomar is setting up himself to negotiate w/ another FBS school in the near future (like next year)? xreadx

Something smells awfully fishy w/ the maintain of OU regalia. xreadx

Just throwing it out there. He sure did jump over a LOT of capable and up and coming schools from Dallas to Huntsville. :D

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Is there a chance that Bomar is setting up himself to negotiate w/ another FBS school in the near future (like next year)? xreadx

Something smells awfully fishy w/ the maintain of OU regalia. xreadx

Just throwing it out there. He sure did jump over a LOT of capable and up and coming schools from Dallas to Huntsville. :D

I don't think so. He would have to transfer 'up' and would have to sit out another year, if not lose his last year of eligibility...

He can only transfer down and not lose eligibility. Considering he is at SHSU, a school that has a history of doing well with transfer QBs (see 2001 and 2004) and even launching them to the NFL (see McCown), he has landed in the best possible place at the FCS level.

I think he maintains the OU stuff as a reminder to what was good and all the wrong things he did to take away 'what was good'. He pretty much said that. Now, he is where he is at and is making the best of what he has infront of him.

McNeeserocket
April 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I don't think so. He would have to transfer 'up' and would have to sit out another year, if not lose his last year of eligibility...

He can only transfer down and not lose eligibility. Considering he is at SHSU, a school that has a history of doing well with transfer QBs (see 2001 and 2004) and even launching them to the NFL (see McCown), he has landed in the best possible place at the FCS level.

I think he maintains the OU stuff as a reminder to what was good and all the wrong things he did to take away 'what was good'. He pretty much said that. Now, he is where he is at and is making the best of what he has infront of him.

I don't believe Boomer can transfer again under NCAA rules. Except for very unusual circumstances, a player is allowed to transfer only once, regardless of where and what division. The fact that he has not played yet Sam Houston State probably won't affect the one time transfer rule.

patssle
April 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
He's NOT transfering and that's not my personal opinion, he will be here for 2 years.

Panther88
April 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM

I'm not aware how txfer rules now that FBS and FCS are in effect.

I was under the impression that governed the "old" rules of I-A and I-AA that a I-A participant could txfer to I-AA and be elgible immediately. I wasn't aware of rules governing txfer of a I-AA participant to I-A if they'd been a participant of I-A before. xreadx

Seems like a lot of folx could abuse the system if they screwed up in former I-A land and go I-AA and txfer BACK up to fulfill whatever hope they had @ the I-A level.

Hope Bomar does well. I pulled for him a lot @ SGP. :) Well mannered kid.

McNeese75
April 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM
He's NOT transfering and that's not my personal opinion, he will be here for 2 years.

Link??? (or are we praying here??? :D )

All kidding aside, I would guess he will stay a Kat for the two remaining years. xnodx

Col Hogan
April 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Someone posted the whole thing on You Tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-iz1_rzfE

Thanks for posting that TT. I missed three days with no cable and hoped someone would put it up here.

Bomar made a mistake...he didn't committ some violent crime...and he seemed honestly contrite in the interview.

Good luck to him...and SHSU.

Bomar deserve a second chance where he is, and it looks like he's taking proper advantage of it.

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Rules never changed.

I was under the impression that governed the "old" rules of I-A and I-AA that a I-A participant could txfer to I-AA and be elgible immediately. I wasn't aware of rules governing txfer of a I-AA participant to I-A if they'd been a participant of I-A before. xreadx

Seems like a lot of folx could abuse the system if they screwed up in former I-A land and go I-AA and txfer BACK up to fulfill whatever hope they had @ the I-A level.

All true...which is why Bomar would lose a year, cause there'd be lots of folks taking advantage of it. If you go from I-A (FBS) to I-AA (FCS), you are eligible immediately. Was not the case for Bomar due to the aforementioned issues. He'd lose more than his "year off" for the violations if he transferred back up due to the transfer penalties of going FCS to FBS...can't transfer up or 'even' without sitting out...

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Link??? (or are we praying here??? :D )

All kidding aside, I would guess he will stay a Kat for the two remaining years. xnodx

Said so in the interview with OTL...said he wasn't leaving early. He's not leaving SHSU...

McNeeserocket
April 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Hope Bomar does well. I pulled for him a lot @ SGP. :) Well mannered kid.

The NCAA allows an athlete to transfer only once (there are a few very specific exceptions. Ex. John Doe plays football for ABC Univ. and that univ. decides to give up competing in football. The athlete is then allowed to transfer to another school to play football with whatever time he has left on his playing clock). Once an athlete transfers from a NCAA governed school to another NCAA governed school he/she can not transfer again (with a few exceptions as noted above).

So even if Bomar wanted to transfer back to Oklahoma, or to Nebraska or even to Georgia Southern he cannot transfer again. He is not allowed to transfer a second time whether it is up to FBS, laterally to FCS or down to Division II if he has already transfered once before. I will look for the specific guidelines, but it has all been covered on this forum several times.

Maybe Ralph can help me out here with the specific NCAA rule# and the specific language!

SFA 71
April 7th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Bomar made a mistake...he didn't committ some violent crime...and he seemed honestly contrite in the interview.

Which one of YOUR friends can take 7000$ for work they didn't do,
give half to their favorite charity & then be regarded as contrite & be taken seriously. The ESPN story said that he had been arrested twice before for underage drinking. That must have been good practice for appearing contrite. xbawlingx

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Real cheap shot SFA. Did you see the interview, or are you just in attack mode? I've been as big a critic of SHSU as anyone for their signing of Bomar and for their past record of signing troubled or questionable players. But after watching the interview, I heard a kid who was being up-front about what he had done and was taking responsibility for things. He has paid a large price already for his sins. I sensed a kid who had grown up a lot through this (which is what you would hope someone would do when they fail at something). We all have things in our past where we have screwed something up (maybe not like Bomar did) and have had to grow through it. You can be cynical, if you wish, but I'm giving this kid the benefit of doubt until I see otherwise.

Another thing that has changed my view is a conversation I had with AD Bobby Williams at the NCAA championships. Williams and I talked about Bomar and he told me about his initial meeting with the kid and of the fact that Williams knows the family. One of the major reasons that Bomar ended up with SHSU was the fact that Williams is the AD there and the personal relationship they have with him. It was a place where the family felt like they could send their kid and he would be in a safe environment.

McNeese75
April 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Mr C. You better put on your kevlar if you are going to get between the kats and jacks xnodx

Mr. C
April 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Hey, I've gotten between the crossfire of the Bobkitties and the Bearkitties before. This couldn't be much worse than that. Could it?

blackfordpu
April 8th, 2007, 12:06 AM

Which one of YOUR friends can take 7000$ for work they didn't do,
give half to their favorite charity & then be regarded as contrite & be taken seriously. The ESPN story said that he had been arrested twice before for underage drinking. That must have been good practice for appearing contrite. xbawlingx

Are you kidding? Is that the type of education students are getting at SFA?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mr. C
April 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Are you kidding? Is that the type of education students are getting at SFA?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Incoming ...
:D xlolx xrotatehx xnodx :) xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix :o xeekx :D

patssle
April 8th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Hey, I've gotten between the crossfire of the Bobkitties and the Bearkitties before. This couldn't be much worse than that. Could it?

Oh it could. SWT and SHSU don't literally fight. Jacks and Kats do. xlolx

blackfordpu
April 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Oh it could. SWT and SHSU don't literally fight. Jacks and Kats do. xlolx

If they can find the fight pat. They can't even figure out where to put a dollar sign.

SFA 71
April 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM

It's interesting that you noticed my punctuation more than you did Bomer's ethics.
Tell me this, if Bomer wasn't a hot shot qb who is going to play for the beercats but just some average kid who worked as a lifeguard for you & your company & he fudges on his time sheet for not 7000$ but let's say 700$ or even 70$ would you keep him around? "Oh Mr. Pee Wee, it was just a mistake. All my lifeguarding co-workers do it." "I'm soooo sorry, I won't do it again." Would you be so forgiving then or take up his water wings & whistle? My father didn't go to SFA or shs but he taught me not to take money that I didn't earn. What are you going to teach little Jack? This is an education question that a father needs to get right. But I have a feeling you're going to say that's not my concern. Apparently Bomer's father wasn't too concerned either. xeyebrowx

beerkat
April 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
maybe if i type in big purple letters people will think i am important

SFA 71
April 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Real cheap shot SFA. Did you see the interview, or are you just in attack mode? I've been as big a critic of SHSU as anyone for their signing of Bomar and for their past record of signing troubled or questionable players. But after watching the interview, I heard a kid who was being up-front about what he had done and was taking responsibility for things. He has paid a large price already for his sins. I sensed a kid who had grown up a lot through this (which is what you would hope someone would do when they fail at something). We all have things in our past where we have screwed something up (maybe not like Bomar did) and have had to grow through it. You can be cynical, if you wish, but I'm giving this kid the benefit of doubt until I see otherwise.

Another thing that has changed my view is a conversation I had with AD Bobby Williams at the NCAA championships. Williams and I talked about Bomar and he told me about his initial meeting with the kid and of the fact that Williams knows the family. One of the major reasons that Bomar ended up with SHSU was the fact that Williams is the AD there and the personal relationship they have with him. It was a place where the family felt like they could send their kid and he would be in a safe environment.

That's sort of a cheap shot by you but I don't know you well enough to take it to heart. Yes I watched the interview, twice. I don't know his parents & I'm not tight with the coach but when I saw the part between 3:17 & 3:34 I got this feeling that he has a little smirk (watch his eyes) when he says " I've learned my lesson etc.. & then get away from there." You may be right but I have a feeling that if he wasn't the star that he is, a lot of people wouldn't be giving him a second thought.
I also think it's ironic that a lot of people consider Huntsville/shs & Nacogdoches/SFA as "Hick towns" & schools until their kid gets in trouble in the big city then they become a "safe environment." I've always thought of them as a half-way safer place then where some other schools are located. That, among other reasons, is why my daughters went there.

SFA 71
April 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
xthumbsupx
maybe if i type in big purple letters people will think i am important

But I think you'll first have to say something half way intelligent .

blackfordpu
April 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
It's interesting that you noticed my punctuation more than you did Bomer's ethics.
Tell me this, if Bomer wasn't a hot shot qb who is going to play for the beercats but just some average kid who worked as a lifeguard for you & your company & he fudges on his time sheet for not 7000$ but let's say 700$ or even 70$ would you keep him around? "Oh Mr. Pee Wee, it was just a mistake. All my lifeguarding co-workers do it." "I'm soooo sorry, I won't do it again." Would you be so forgiving then or take up his water wings & whistle? My father didn't go to SFA or shs but he taught me not to take money that I didn't earn. What are you going to teach little Jack? This is an education question that a father needs to get right. But I have a feeling you're going to say that's not my concern. Apparently Bomer's father wasn't too concerned either. xeyebrowx

Get off you high horse already. Are you perfect? Have you never made a mistake?

As for employees fudging their time cards, that is irrelevent. Bomar did not steal anything. If he wasn't under NCAA rules he would be ok. He did not break any laws.

SFA 71
April 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM
As for employees fudging their time cards, that is irrelevent. Bomar did not steal anything. If he wasn't under NCAA rules he would be ok. He did not break any laws.

I see.
If Big Red says it's ok to get paid when he didn't work then it's not stealing it's.......... Well what do you call it? I guess it's just doing business in OK! xconfusedx

patssle
April 8th, 2007, 08:27 PM
gotta love the SLC...we have 4 different schools on 3 different message boards engaging in about 10 different smack-talk threads.

blackfordpu
April 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I see.
If Big Red says it's ok to get paid when he didn't work then it's not stealing it's.......... Well what do you call it? I guess it's just doing business in OK! xconfusedx

Well, if Big Red knew that they were giving money for work not done, then by the definition of stealing, not he didn't steal anything. May have been unethical business practice and a violation of NCAA rules but not stealing.

SFA 71
April 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Well, if Big Red knew that they were giving money for work not done, then by the definition of stealing, not he didn't steal anything. May have been unethical business practice and a violation of NCAA rules but not stealing.

You can tell me that you would feel the same way about this if he had gone to SFA instead of shs.
If you can HONESTLY say that, then you win this discussion. xsmhx
He's your boy not ours.xeekx

patssle
April 8th, 2007, 11:23 PM
who is he stealing from? big red? big red knowingly told him to do it. so how is that stealing when the company itself gave permission and hell probably created the whole idea in the first place.

SFA 71
April 8th, 2007, 11:45 PM
who is he stealing from? big red? big red knowingly told him to do it. so how is that stealing when the company itself gave permission and hell (that's as good an explanation as I've heard) probably created the whole idea in the first place.

I have a feeling Big Red knew what they were doing was wrong.
RB knew what he was doing was wrong.
OU knew (when they found out) what he was doing was wrong.
The NCAA will tell you it was wrong.
I think it was wrong.

He didn't steal anything so I guess nothing was wrong after all.
As I said.. if he was at SFA would he still be innocent or would you be saying what I'm through saying. If you can live with, so can I.xbowx

blackfordpu
April 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I have a feeling Big Red knew what they were doing was wrong.
RB knew what he was doing was wrong.
OU knew (when they found out) what he was doing was wrong.
The NCAA will tell you it was wrong.
I think it was wrong.

He didn't steal anything so I guess nothing was wrong after all.
As I said.. if he was at SFA would he still be innocent or would you be saying what I'm through saying. If you can live with, so can I.xbowx

Wrong is a matter of opinion. He broke no LAWS, just NCAA rules. He admitted he made a mistake, paid back the money in the form he was told to do so and is moving on.

Keeper
April 10th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Q: If you were to ask Bomar to tell the truth and whether he wishes
he was still the starting QB at OU, what is his honest answer?

He may become a better person and player at SHS for having
gotten away from Norman, but does he have regrets?

Listen carefully to his remarks. Now he says he just wants to play
football. Perhaps at SHS he will appreciate his opportunity.

LBPop
April 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Wrong is a matter of opinion. He broke no LAWS, just NCAA rules.

I know I am weighing in on this late in the game, but when I first heard this story, it reminded me of a practice from years ago that allowed NCAA schools to provide aid to athletes without using schlolarship money. It probably exists today. They were called "work-ships" I believe. A friend of mine on the Lacrosse team was assigned to clean up trash around his dorm on a weekly basis. After a couple of weeks, he stopped bothering yet still got free room and board. I guess since he was not given cash, it wasn't "being paid for doing nothing", but to a guy like me who worked his way through school, it sure looked like he was being paid.

I never held a grudge...I was just jealous. But it seems to me that with a few fairly insignificant differences, this was a state university paying someone far more than would be a reasonable wage for the work done. I know it's a shocking concept, but would the NCAA be guilty of hypocrisy here? xrolleyesx

SFA 71
April 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=LBPop]I know I am weighing in on this late in the game, but when I first heard this story, it reminded me of a practice from years ago that allowed NCAA schools to provide aid to athletes without using schlolarship money. It probably exists today. They were called "work-ships" I believe. A friend of mine on the Lacrosse team was assigned to clean up trash around his dorm on a weekly basis. After a couple of weeks, he stopped bothering yet still got free room and board. I guess since he was not given cash, it wasn't "being paid for doing nothing", but to a guy like me who worked his way through school, it sure looked like he was being paid.

Your post reminds me of the 1977 movie with Robby Benson called One on One. Benson is a hot shot basketball play who gets all the perks of being a player. One of the perks was a job turning on the water sprinklers to water the football field. When he does show up at 7 am the field maintenance mans thinks he's an idiot. Why: because the sprinkler system was on a timer that turned it on & off with no need of a worker. Hard job for the average student to get but the pay was good.