PDA

View Full Version : Western Illinois attendance set to double

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2018, 08:47 PM
http://www.kbur.com/2018/11/07/westboro-baptist-church-plans-to-protest-wiu-football-game/

20 fans plus 20 protesters!

JSUSoutherner
November 8th, 2018, 08:49 PM
This thread might get real toxic real quick.

TheKingpin28
November 8th, 2018, 09:05 PM

Politics aside, anyone who supports these ****ers is not welcomed around me. These "people" (I use that loosely as they are pure scum of the Earth) are a disgrace to humanity.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2018, 09:45 PM
So are the protesters going to harass both fans?

grizband
November 8th, 2018, 09:47 PM
I'd say this could get political, but Westboro Baptist is one area people on both sides can agree!

dustinthorn93
November 8th, 2018, 09:57 PM
My dad and I were planning on taking my autistic 4 year old son to his first ever football game that weekend and now we aren't going to go. It sucks that they can't just leave people alone. I would like to be able to take my son, but we are going to have to wait until next season.

katss07
November 9th, 2018, 06:58 AM
My dad and I were planning on taking my autistic 4 year old son to his first ever football game that weekend and now we aren't going to go. It sucks that they can't just leave people alone. I would like to be able to take my son, but we are going to have to wait until next season.
Man that sucks, really sorry to hear that. Sports, especially football, are for everyone.

Politics, beliefs, whatever. We can put that aside and all agree that these people are disgusting.

JSUSoutherner
November 9th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Politics aside, anyone who supports these ****ers is not welcomed around me. These "people" (I use that loosely as they are pure scum of the Earth) are a disgrace to humanity.

I'll be rooting for Bain this weekend.

PantherRob82
November 9th, 2018, 07:23 AM

Most of the time they don't even show up. If they do they won't be in the game. Just outside one of the gates. I wouldn't let this announcement ruin things for you.

Sycamore62
November 9th, 2018, 07:29 AM

id still go. there are assholes at every game. these are just a specific group of assholes

POD Knows
November 9th, 2018, 07:37 AM
This thread might get real toxic real quick.Why would this get toxic, I imagine you think all of these mouth breathing, uneducated red state morons on AGS support these ****s, is that it?

This is my contribution to the toxicity of this thread, might as well get it started.

JSUSoutherner
November 9th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Why would this get toxic, I imagine you think all of these mouth breathing, uneducated red state morons on AGS support these ****s, is that it?

This is my contribution to the toxicity of this thread, might as well get it started.
That was not it at all.

It's because I'm sure some people here have less of a filter than I do. I'm currently abiding by the "can't say anything nice so don't say anything at all" rule.

TheKingpin28
November 9th, 2018, 07:51 AM
I'll be rooting for Bain this weekend.Same here and I am willing to bet everyone will be as well. I think an excellent way to slam WBC is to make him a captain of the game and let him call the coin toss.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

mvfcfan
November 9th, 2018, 09:14 AM
They must be too stupid to realize that Indiana State is in Indiana.

We had a police officer get shot and killed here in Terre Haute several years ago and they came to protest his funeral. This isn't even a political issue. People of both parties hate these scumbags.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2018, 10:41 AM
I'll be rooting for Bain this weekend.

I'll be rooting for him too. He probably won't be playing though, since he's a true freshman and not listed on the depth chart. Looks like he has put in time in 3 games so far, so he can get in on one more while still being redshirted. Guess it depends on if he plays this weekend against Illinois State or not. If he does play, he'll probably be just on the sideline at the WIU game the last weekend.

JSUSoutherner
November 9th, 2018, 10:52 AM
I'll be rooting for him too. He probably won't be playing though, since he's a true freshman and not listed on the depth chart. Looks like he has put in time in 3 games so far, so he can get in on one more while still being redshirted. Guess it depends on if he plays this weekend against Illinois State or not. If he does play, he'll probably be just on the sideline at the WIU game the last weekend.

Then I'd do like KP suggested and make the kid a captain.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Then I'd do like KP suggested and make the kid a captain.

That'd be pretty cool if they did that. Then again, the kid probably just wants to be a pretty standard college kid...play some football, pass his classes, work hard, be treated like everyone else on the team, etc...so singling him out like that may not be what he wants.

JSUSoutherner
November 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
That'd be pretty cool if they did that. Then again, the kid probably just wants to be a pretty standard college kid...play some football, pass his classes, work hard, be treated like everyone else on the team, etc...so singling him out like that may not be what he wants.

I mean, do what he wants, obviously, but if I were him and had the opportunity to stick a middle finger up at WBBC I'd do it.

Sycamore62
November 9th, 2018, 12:59 PM
the only thing is that i dont know if he is on the travel squad which i think is limited by the conference

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2018, 01:00 PM
WIU and ISUb ought to go boycott their church services on Sunday .. how utterly stupid that a so-called "church" would do this at all .. much less because of 1 openly gay player on a football field. In doing this, are they trying to oppose all gay people, or just the ones that come out ? So they want to shame this guy by himself .. seriously ?

God must be sooo proud of this "church". Should we judge all Baptist churches based on this church's actions ? Obviously not ... just asking for a friend who finds similarly judgmental people to sometimes to be complete hypocrites when it comes to their "judgment".

Seriously ... ISUb should take that team bus to their church on the way home on Sunday and boycott their church. That boycott would make a hell of a lot more sense to me.

I hope this pathetic act does not faze this kid one bit ... he has nothing to be ashamed of. This church sure does .. just wow.

TheKingpin28
November 9th, 2018, 01:54 PM
WIU and ISUb ought to go boycott their church services on Sunday .. how utterly stupid that a so-called "church" would do this at all .. much less because of 1 openly gay player on a football field. In doing this, are they trying to oppose all gay people, or just the ones that come out ? So they want to shame this guy by himself .. seriously ?

God must be sooo proud of this "church". Should we judge all Baptist churches based on this church's actions ? Obviously not ... just asking for a friend who finds similarly judgmental people to sometimes to be complete hypocrites when it comes to their "judgment".

Seriously ... ISUb should take that team bus to their church on the way home on Sunday and boycott their church. That boycott would make a hell of a lot more sense to me.

I hope this pathetic act does not faze this kid one bit ... he has nothing to be ashamed of. This church sure does .. just wow.WBC is in Kansas so that might be a little out of the way

JayJ79
November 9th, 2018, 02:50 PM
That was not it at all.

It's because I'm sure some people here have less of a filter than I do. I'm currently abiding by the "can't say anything nice so don't say anything at all" rule.

that rule only applies when the subject has at least a speck of decent humanity.
WBC scum don't meet that prerequisite.

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2018, 03:54 PM
WBC is in Kansas so that might be a little out of the way

Was kidding but thought someone mentioned St Louis, MO area, which might have just a bit out of the way on drive home for ISUb .... road trip !!!!!!!!!

I really hope this boycott fizzles into nothing .. or if not, that it just galvanizes this kid's resolve for coming out .. and the team rallies around him. I don't agree with religious anti-abortion protesters, but I get it and respect it. This, like most of us, I just don't get at all.

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Was kidding but thought someone mentioned St Louis, MO area, which might have just a bit out of the way on drive home for ISUb .... road trip !!!!!!!!!

I really hope this boycott fizzles into nothing .. or if not, that it just galvanizes this kid's resolve for coming out .. and the team rallies around him. I don't agree with religious anti-abortion protesters, but I get it and respect it. This, like most of us, I just don't get at all.

It's not a "boycott"...it's a protest. WBC goes and protests all over the place all the time...funerals (including military ones) and sporting events seem to be their preferred venues. They're not a "church" really, they're a cult/hate group based out of Topeka, KS. From the Southern Poverty Law Center:

Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is arguably the most obnoxious and rabid hate group in America. The group is basically a family-based cult of personality built around its patriarch, Fred Phelps. Typified by its slogan, “God Hates Fags,” WBC is known for its harsh anti-gay beliefs and the crude signs its members carry at their frequent protests.
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/westboro-baptist-church

Sorry Ursus if this is veering too far into political stuff. Feel free to move to a non-football forum if need be.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Of all the things in the world to protest, of all the things in the world to go to, how on God's Green Earth does a WIU home game rise to the level of "That's it! This is the thing that will put us on the map!"

It's like PETA saying "Meat is murder, so let's picket in front of the Marist/San Diego game!"

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2018, 04:47 PM
Of all the things in the world to protest, of all the things in the world to go to, how on God's Green Earth does a WIU home game rise to the level of "That's it! This is the thing that will put us on the map!"

It's like PETA saying "Meat is murder, so let's picket in front of the Marist/San Diego game!"

WBC protests an average of 4 events or locations daily. They found a reason to come protest at our game while on a cross-Illinois tour apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Well Marist is the Red Foxes, so animal cruelty?
Either way the WBC is a disgrace to Christianity.

JacksFan40
November 9th, 2018, 05:09 PM
WBC protests an average of 4 events or locations daily. They found a reason to come protest at our game while on a cross-Illinois tour apparently.

Will protesters outnumber the fans?
If WBC protests at a WIU game, and nobody’s there, does it count?

ST_Lawson
November 9th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Will protesters outnumber the fans?
If WBC protests at a WIU game, and nobody’s there, does it count?

Protestors...probably not. I don't think they usually bring a big crew. They're just mean and hateful.

Counter-protestors...probably. Now if we can just figure out how to get them to buy tickets.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 9th, 2018, 05:53 PM
http://www.kbur.com/2018/11/07/westboro-baptist-church-plans-to-protest-wiu-football-game/

This church is profoundly lost when they do this crap. They were going to come up here to protest during a funeral and the Freedom Riders parked in their way....I don't think too many showed up, if any actually.

- - - Updated - - -

No it wont......

JSUSoutherner
November 9th, 2018, 05:55 PM

Bat**** crazy people do bat**** crazy ****.

Twentysix
November 9th, 2018, 06:10 PM
What the hell. Who cares if a football player, or anyone for that matter is gay.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 9th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Why would this get toxic, I imagine you think all of these mouth breathing, uneducated red state morons on AGS support these ****s, is that it?

right, it's always interesting to see how people assume how Red party supporters think..... I'll be rooting for the gay guy now, but if he tried to flirt with me you would see how fast I could still run xpeacex

frozennorth
November 9th, 2018, 07:16 PM

You forgot the 200 counterprotesters