PDA

View Full Version : Will JMU Bounce Back this Year?

NEBison
November 6th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I haven't seen a thread on this and wanted to see what some of you who have watched JMU more than me think. I still think JMU and SDSU are the two biggest threats to NDSU and am wondering if I am off base. Thoughts?

Go...gate
November 6th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Yes. One loss (indeed, one game) does not a season make.

NEBison
November 6th, 2018, 05:29 PM

I have no idea what that was says/means.

FUBeAR
November 6th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Maybe they had to play with a backup QB in 2 of their 3 losses this year.

Apparently, in the CAA, if you have to play a backup QB and lose (even by as much as 3 scores), those losses don’t count. That’s what a Maine fan told me today...pretty much.

veinup
November 6th, 2018, 05:44 PM
my wife will be pretty unhappy if they don't. so yes, they're bouncing back big time.

jmu007
November 6th, 2018, 05:49 PM
All depends on the offense. If the coaching staff is able to get the offense back into gear they are as dangerous a team as any. If they continue to struggle to find the end zone, it'll be an early exit depending on the bracket.

Defense = Good
Special Teams = Elite
Offense = ugh....

That's how I'd rate performance at 6-3. If offense had just been a meh... vs an ugh.... they'd be 8-1 right now. I think that answers your question. I think we'll all know which way they go come Saturday.

NEBison
November 6th, 2018, 05:53 PM
All depends on the offense. If the coaching staff is able to get the offense back into gear they are as dangerous a team as any. If they continue to struggle to find the end zone, it'll be an early exit depending on the bracket.

Defense = Good
Special Teams = Elite
Offense = ugh....

That's how I'd rate performance at 6-3. If offense had just been a meh... vs an ugh.... they'd be 8-1 right now. I think that answers your question. I think we'll all know which way they go come Saturday.

Are the offensive struggles primarily because of the new QB? If I remember right the o-line was a bit of an issue last year but I thought they were banged up at the end of the year. I know the running backs that returned should have been plenty good enough.

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Maybe they had to play with a backup QB in 2 of their 3 losses this year.

Apparently, in the CAA, if you have to play a backup QB and lose (even by as much as 3 scores), those losses don’t count. That’s what a Maine fan told me today...pretty much.

Nova would be in 1st then.....xpeacex

caribbeanhen
November 6th, 2018, 07:10 PM
They might give us the Dead dog bounce, but JMU is done.....xcoffeex

jmu007
November 6th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Are the offensive struggles primarily because of the new QB? If I remember right the o-line was a bit of an issue last year but I thought they were banged up at the end of the year. I know the running backs that returned should have been plenty good enough.

I think it's a combo of youth at just about every position other than RB and the QB just not panning out how they thought it would. My personal opinion is that redshirt freshman Gage Maloney will be the starter next year when the competition opens back up baring progress by Cole Johnson. I think we've seen Ben DiNucci's ceiling at this point.

FWIW, they return 10 of 11 starters next year on offense. Another year at D-hall and in the weight room will do the offensive line some good,.

jmu007
November 6th, 2018, 07:19 PM
They might give us the Dead dog bounce, but JMU is done.....xcoffeex

I'd love to see this game in round 2. First team to 13 wins. :D

Schism55
November 6th, 2018, 07:23 PM
I think it's a combo of youth at just about every position other than RB and the QB just not panning out how they thought it would. My personal opinion is that redshirt freshman Gage Maloney will be the starter next year when the competition opens back up baring progress by Cole Johnson. I think we've seen Ben DiNucci's ceiling at this point.

FWIW, they return 10 of 11 starters next year on offense. Another year at D-hall and in the weight room will do the offensive line some good,.
This is my observation as well. He was great out the shoot but has shown his warts lately.
If things break right JMU D and special teams could still carry them far...

caribbeanhen
November 6th, 2018, 07:31 PM
I'd love to see this game in round 2. First team to 13 wins. :D

that would be a great playoff match up if you like Defense..... but we still have Stoner Brook and Nova to worry about, most Hen fans not that optimistic about Saturdays match up on Long Island, will be tought to beat them 2 years in a row up there, and besides this is pretty much an elimination game for the SeaLobos

we really dont want to be 7-3 again with GT's preppies coming to Newark the following week

KPSUL
November 6th, 2018, 10:34 PM
JMU is still a threat, IMO they will win their last two regular season games, and if a couple other teams currently ranked higher don't, JMU could still end up with a seed in the 5-8 range. If they don't get a seed, they will almost certainly get a 1st round home game since they will outbid anyone they will be scheduled to play. There is still plenty of talent on that team and if they close out the regular season beating URI and Towson they will regain the confidence they may have lost by losing two conference games. While this JMU team is not executing as consistently well as the 2016 and 17 teams, the quality of conference opponents, week after week, is particularly tough this season. The UNH team that has shown up the last two Saturdays is playing on a totally different level, more indicative of their preseason ranking than a 6 loss team. I think Mike Houston will use the two FCS losses as a motivator to get JMU primed for winning out the regular and success in the playoffs. I'm predicting they get at least to the Semi-Finals.

dewey
November 6th, 2018, 10:46 PM
I know any team that has JMU in a 2nd round or quarterfinal pairing has got be nervous.

Dewey

MacThor
November 7th, 2018, 06:00 AM
I know any team that has JMU in a 2nd round or quarterfinal pairing has got be nervous.

Dewey

Delaware, perhaps.

KPSUL
November 7th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Delaware, perhaps.

Good point, Delaware or Maine, since they will not have played in the regular season.

dewey
November 7th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Good point, Delaware or Maine, since they will not have played in the regular season.Seems like that is going to happen for sure with the comittiess penchant for matching up teams from the same conference that didnt play during the regular season.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

knit35
November 7th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Good point, Delaware or Maine, since they will not have played in the regular season.

Those would be interesting match ups. I agree with other posters that the defense is very solid and with support from the offense could turn into a very special unit. Special teams are elite. Offense is a mystery to me. O Line has had a issues and had to shuffle people around but not as much as the previous year. The skill position folks come and go with the wind. Receivers have dropped balls and made mistakes, Running backs have done nothing consistently which is also partly to do with the line but RB should be able to make someone miss and have at least one, two runs break somewhat open. QB play is vanilla, in my opinion neither Johnson or DiNucci set the world on fire, I would also argue the play calling from the OC is mystifying at times and extremely basic and predictable at times.

Are the Dukes done No. Could they be after this week, Yes. The next two games could create a great sense of purpose, momentum and drive for the team into the playoffs and if the offense finds their gear it could be a very tough team.

If the team doesnt respond to the changes that may happen and to the coachs (which has also been strange this year, as Houston seems to be frustrated with this group) the Dukes could go 0-2 and miss the playoffs.

Im going to be optimistic about it and rally behind whoever lines up this weekend against Rhody but there needs to be a tone change and aggression that comes out from this team.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2018, 07:34 AM
JMU is ~800 miles from (the U of) Maine so it would be a flight regardless. Delaware seems much more likely if JMU plays Thanksgiving weekend since they're within the 400 mile bus trip distance of Harrisonburg.

jmu007
November 7th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I agree. It would likely be Delaware since JMU already played Elon this year.

Gangtackle11
November 7th, 2018, 09:41 AM
JMU is an excellent team, but at all levels if you don’t have an exceptional QB your toast at some point. They certainly can get by a majority of FCS contenders, but I don’t see them beating NDSU this season. xpeacex

dewey
November 7th, 2018, 11:08 AM
JMU is ~800 miles from (the U of) Maine so it would be a flight regardless. Delaware seems much more likely if JMU plays Thanksgiving weekend since they're within the 400 mile bus trip distance of Harrisonburg.

If Delaware gets a seed it seems like a lock that JMU would feed into the Blue Hens.

Still two more weeks of the unexpected before playoff bracket time.

Dewey

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2018, 11:22 AM

Defense = Good
Special Teams = Elite
Offense = ugh....

Dude, come play us in round 1. Offensive dumpster fire of the year.

UNHWildcat18
November 7th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Still the bigger question was NDSU that good in the game vs UD or did UD have the (ive never been in the dome shellshock) that most teams suffer through.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Still the bigger question was NDSU that good in the game vs UD or did UD have the (ive never been in the dome shellshock) that most teams suffer through.
Watching the game, I think NDSU was just that good. NDSU was able to just completely dominate them.

NEBison
November 7th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Watching the game, I think NDSU was just that good. NDSU was able to just completely dominate them.

I think NDSU was that good as well. UD couldn't move the ball at all.

Silenoz
November 7th, 2018, 12:07 PM

No, but two losses including a blowout make a road trip through the playoffs

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2018, 12:12 PM
That was probably the best I've seen Stick throw the ball so far this year. With his running ability and NDSU's run game plus their defense if he's on point throwing the ball there's not an FCS team that can hang with them. That's what I think was proven in that Delaware game.

Btw if you want to watch it yourself it's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csw4mYcboZQ

You really only need to watch the 1st half. NDSU shut it down after that. Delaware also shot themselves in the foot with turnovers early as well.

Bisonator
November 7th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I could see the dome causing some issues for their offense but their defense was supposed to be great and they got destroyed in that game. I don't think that was "dome shellshock".

centennial
November 7th, 2018, 02:21 PM

NDSU is good. Delaware played poorly. Watching the game NDSU could've easily named the score. It could've been 62-7 type of game.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2018, 03:52 PM
NDSU is good. Delaware played poorly. Watching the game NDSU could've easily named the score. It could've been 62-10 type of game.
FIFY

X-Factor
November 7th, 2018, 10:17 PM
FIFY

I see what you did there ;-)

Go...gate
November 7th, 2018, 10:45 PM

Just what it says. It is a long season.

dewey
November 8th, 2018, 06:14 AM
I could see the dome causing some issues for their offense but their defense was supposed to be great and they got destroyed in that game. I don't think that was "dome shellshock".

I pretty much agree. I think there was some dome shock in the 1st half but their D got owned in that game. The opening drive NDSU scored and IIRC made it look easy. Then UD gets the ball and throws a pick 6.

The Hens QB is a statue back there and if the QB isnt at least a little mobile he is going to get killed.

NDSU put it in complete shut down mode at halftime other wise that game could have been worse than the previous two games.

NDSU is also very good. I would say in a similar category to the 2013 team.

I would LOVE to see a rematch at any point in the playoffs.

Dewey

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2018, 06:51 AM
I pretty much agree. I think there was some dome shock in the 1st half but their D got owned in that game. The opening drive NDSU scored and IIRC made it look easy. Then UD gets the ball and throws a pick 6.

The Hens QB is a statue back there and if the QB isnt at least a little mobile he is going to get killed.

NDSU put it in complete shut down mode at halftime other wise that game could have been worse than the previous two games.

Dewey

........YES....BIZONSSSS HAMMERED US.........DELAWARE DEFENSE.....NEVERAH HAD UH CHANCE......'CAUSE DUH DELAWARE OFFENSE.....MAILED IT IN EARLY........SOMETHIN' LIKE 3 INTERCEPTIONS.....ONE WAS PICK SIX....OTHERS...LED TA 7'S......IT WAS 28-0.....WITH TWO/THREE MINUTES LEFT IN FIRST Q..........DEFENSE WAS BEHIND DUH 8-BALL......RIGHT FROM DUH HOLLYWOOD SPOTLIGHTS ON....AWK!

......COACH K......MERCIFULLY INTERVENED.....AWK!

HensRock
November 8th, 2018, 08:20 AM

Dewey

Dewey,
Your coach (and players) showed a lot of class in that game. Someone said NDSU could have named the score and I agree. That game showed how much we really missed our Nose Tackle from last year who is now playing for Chicago. First year QB who was probably rattled by the dome environment early. When our very first play from scrimmage was a pick-6 to make it 14-0, the wind went out of the sails. I believe this Delaware team was still finding themselves at that point in the season and they are actually still very much a work-in-progress today. But Delaware has improved A LOT during this season. I think in many ways that game in Fargo has served to inspire them since.

NEBison
November 8th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Just what it says. It is a long season.

Yep and we are 2 games away from the playoffs. Not a lot of time to get things figured out. That's why I started the thread.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 8th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Hopefully the Dukes can win out and make the playoffs. Granted, they would not get a top 4 seed, but I could see them beating a higher seed if the offense gets on track. That's probably a big IF at this point, but I can dream. I wouldn't want to draw JMU in the bracket because they are good enough to travel and beat a higher seed..IMO.

Go Dukes

dewey
November 8th, 2018, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't want to draw JMU in the bracket because they are good enough to travel and beat a higher seed..IMO.

Go Dukes

You are absolutely right. JMU is a legit national title contender even if the offense just doesn't cost the team too many points.

Dewey

dewey
November 8th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the Dukes struggles as of late. Pretty alarming rushing statistics.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/916001-McFeely-James-Madison-struggles-toward-finish-line

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Every team except NDSU looks flawed this year. And even then NDSU by way of eye test doesn't look as spectacular as usual and yet, we all know they are (I'm not going to argue this point, it's more qualitative than quantitative).

NDSU wins big games big at home by forcing turnovers, playing good defense, and using a rowdy atmosphere to rattle opponents. It's completely unique. Right now, the only team that looks to possibly compete with them is UC Davis, and the only reason I say that is because they haven't played in the last few years.

What JMU did last year and the year before that was special. They did the same things as NDSU, dominating quality opponents and having the balance on both sides of the ball to beat teams 70something to 7. At this level, you see teams who can often hold opponents under 20 regularly, and even score over 40 (with a high end in the 70s) regularly, but it's rare that you see teams have both. JMU had both. NDSU didn't really, but that's not because NDSU was "bad" compared to the Dukes, but because they just played a style that wouldn't score more than 40 on a regular basis in a conference that played power I football. Meanwhile the CAA featured teams that would give the Dukes multiple possessions (bad defense, spread offense) so they could score 70.

What made JMU interesting is that they didn't do this with an ungodly legendary home field advantage and it didn't turn on in the playoffs (NDSU turns it on to another level in the playoffs for some reason). It was every game, seemingly.

But now, that's gone, and JMU is down to earth again IMO. Even though I said in this very post that NDSU "looks down," I still think the only reasonable way one could say any team could beat them is if that team is regularly winning games in the CAA, southland, MVFC, Southern Conference or Big Sky by margins of 59-14 or so (not against bottom feeders). That team does not exist this year.