PDA

View Full Version : Colgate at Lehigh--Have the Mountain Hawks found their mojo?

ngineer
November 4th, 2018, 10:22 PM
The Red Raiders have been on a roll unlike any PL team in recent years. Not just the winning streak, but the way they are winning with a dominating defense and an efficient offense. Last year's game between these two was a barn-burner, but in the year since, Colgate has simply stepped up their game, while Lehigh ran off the rails. Lehigh's season has been a debacle. The worst, imo, in 50 years. That can be rectified with a strong finish--even a hard fought loss to Colgate and a win over Laughyette would give a sense of promise for next year. But, can the Mountain Hawks be seen as a rational threat to what could be a 'perfect' season for the Raiders? This has traditionally been one of the more intense rivalries in the PL as both teams are 1-2 in being the 'winningest' programs since the PL began. Many years it has been these two battling for the League title, so it is somewhat of an anomaly to have these two meet with such opposite looking records.

Based upon this year's "body of work" one would expect Colgate to be favored by 30 points. But are the teams that different by that much, or with their big win last week over Bucknell, has Lehigh rediscovered its pride and chemistry that has seemed to be lacking since the second half of the Penn game up to last week's game? The OL has been the primary problem for Lehigh this year, losing two starters in August before the season began. It has been a constant tinkering with moving pieces and without a consistently good OL, not much else can go well. The defense, while showing signs of improvement, early on, seemed to have major relapses throughout the past seven weeks. While some of it I attribute to the offense not sustaining drives, thereby having the defense worn down in second halfs, there have also been the usual shortcomings seen in years past with players being out of position and poor tackling. So which Lehigh can Cogate expect to show up in Goodman Stadium? Also, for the recesses of the mind, the long range forecast for this Saturday in the Lehigh Valley is rain. With the "Great Equalizer" in the house, can the unthinkable happen? We have all seen big upsets in years past, but does this have the making of one? I couldn't help but think that when I saw how Ohio State barely escaped with a win over a lowly, 2-7 Nebraska team on Saturday.

Anyway, some thoughts to ponder as we wend our way down the home stretch.

Bill
November 4th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Have the Engineers found their mojo?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29423&stc=1
I don't think so.

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 10:29 PM
If Lehigh scores a TD, other than garbage time, I will be impressed. Colgate could always get caught looking ahead to a possible scalp the next week, but I don't think so. I think Colgate is on a mission right now.

ngineer
November 4th, 2018, 10:45 PM
If Lehigh scores a TD, other than garbage time, I will be impressed. Colgate could always get caught looking ahead to a possible scalp the next week, but I don't think so. I think Colgate is on a mission right now.

Don't disagree of the probability, but I did see a spark of energy this past weekend and with a possible "wet track" on Saturday, and Lehigh appearing so ripe for the plucking, Raiders could peeking a bit at Army and stub their toe. One can only hope!

bonarae
November 4th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Meanwhile...

One can only hope if Colgate can shut out both Lehigh and Army... xprayx

Sader87
November 4th, 2018, 11:14 PM
Colgate has not played anyone this year....HC had them on the run in the 2nd half in the openah....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2018, 11:34 PM
I'll take 2 TD's and a moral victory on the scoreboard. Get out healthy, beat Lafayette then focus on getting the program back to a Top 25 type level.

UNHWildcat18
November 5th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Colgate 41-17

TheValleyRaider
November 5th, 2018, 06:19 AM
As I said elsewhere, I highly doubt Colgate is going to be looking ahead from this one. Not after last year.

Gangtackle11
November 5th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Don’t see it. Colgate has dominated the PL this season. Defense has been almost perfect of late with 5 shutouts & 27 points given up on the season. Lehigh beat a really bad Bucknell team. This won’t be close. 28-7 Colgate.

HensRock
November 5th, 2018, 07:18 AM
It's actually only 23 pts, GT. Amazing.
41-3 'Gate.

Fordham
November 5th, 2018, 07:27 AM
eng, really thought the entire initial post was going to be tongue in cheek. Was already chuckling when opening it as I thought it was brilliant - especially to tweak posters from other conferences who would get a kick out of Lehigh fans getting cocky even during the most disastrous season they've ever had like the knight in Holy Grail shouting "oh... running away, eh?". If I mis-read the initial post and it was dripping with sarcasm, my apologies.

This one is over before it already started. I don't know what happened at Bucknell but this year's Fordham squad is more like a high school or prep school squad (in both age and ability) and we physically pounded you guys on the OL like no one else during the season - not even close. After having seen both of these teams I feel like I did when Fordham was playing Navy and I knew there wasn't any chance we could stop them even though we knew the one play they were going to run over ... and over ... and over.

My avatar will change to a Lehigh one until game 1 kickoff of next season if you guys pull this off.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29424&stc=1

PeacockRaider
November 5th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Can it happen? Sure anygivensaturday, there has been bigger upsets. Do i see it happening, no. Lehigh played better this week against Bucknell, but it is still a team that lost 56-0 to HC just two weeks ago. A wet track may help Lehigh slightly but Colgate's D has the horses to shut down the tough running of Bragalone. The only great equalizer I am worried about is the zebra crew.

As far as Holy Cross having Gate on the ropes in game 1, it was 24-0 at the half and HC scored twice in the 4th quarter to make it 24-17...which is also the last td to be scored upon their D.

Lehigh'98
November 5th, 2018, 09:16 AM
eng, really thought the entire initial post was going to be tongue in cheek. Was already chuckling when opening it as I thought it was brilliant - especially to tweak posters from other conferences who would get a kick out of Lehigh fans getting cocky even during the most disastrous season they've ever had like the knight in Holy Grail shouting "oh... running away, eh?". If I mis-read the initial post and it was dripping with sarcasm, my apologies.

This one is over before it already started. I don't know what happened at Bucknell but this year's Fordham squad is more like a high school or prep school squad (in both age and ability) and we physically pounded you guys on the OL like no one else during the season - not even close. After having seen both of these teams I feel like I did when Fordham was playing Navy and I knew there wasn't any chance we could stop them even though we knew the one play they were going to run over ... and over ... and over.

My avatar will change to a Lehigh one until game 1 kickoff of next season if you guys pull this off.

I thought it was a ruse as well. One win over Bucknell changes nothing. The absolute worst thing that could happen to the program would be if we upset Colgate and Lafayette and they retained the head coach.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it was a ruse as well. One win over Bucknell changes nothing. The absolute worst thing that could happen to the program would be if we upset Colgate and Lafayette and they retained the head coach.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2018, 09:21 AM

I'm sure I'll have some great suggestions for AVIs if it happens!

Gate83
November 5th, 2018, 09:22 AM
As far as Holy Cross having Gate on the ropes in game 1, it was 24-0 at the half and HC scored twice in the 4th quarter to make it 24-17...which is also the last td to be scored upon their D.

Yeah, the "on the ropes" narrative from the Crossers is a little much. They did play well in the second half, had some momentum, got to 17 with 7 minutes left in the 4th and... never got the ball back. We kneeled it out inside their 20 rather than take a meaningless score, and really didn't get our O going until a few games into the season.

Not too worried about the rain either, as I was at the 38-0 Gtown game in the monsoon 2 weeks ago. No excuses if we throw in a clunker vs LU... but not expecting that to happen. Hope Breneman isn't dinged up, he had to come out for a couple of series at Fordham.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Here are some great AVI choices for Fordham

https://lehighsports.com/s3/sidearm.sites/lehighsports.com/custompages/gallery/FB_10292016/thumbs/_big__DSC4969.JPG?mode=max&maxHeight=622&maxWidth=932

https://lehighsports.com/s3/sidearm.sites/lehighsports.com/custompages/gallery/FB_10292016/thumbs/_big__DSC4843.JPG?mode=max&maxHeight=344&maxWidth=516

https://lehighsports.com/s3/sidearm.sites/lehighsports.com/custompages/gallery/FB_10292016/thumbs/_big__DSC5658.JPG?mode=max&maxHeight=344&maxWidth=516

RichH2
November 5th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Amusing thread. One can construct some "ifs" going into this game , but a Lehigh W is not one of them.True the team we all expected this year appeared on Saturday vs Bucknell. I hope that team can build on that game going into Raider game. If we do, we can give Gate a good game. A win would require Gate to come in flat and make a lot of miscues. I dont expect that will happen. A good game where we make Gate earn the W would be great.

Fordham
November 5th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Here are some great AVI choices for Fordham

yikes - could not jump the gun any more than that, LFN. Be more than happy to change to any of those but not until Lehigh actually pulls off the upset.

Until then ...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29425&stc=1

JacksFan40
November 5th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Colgate rolls by around 38-0 or so. However I doubt they’ll beat Army. I have Army winning that 41-24.

HensRock
November 5th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Mojo Found.
(It's been in Hamilton, NY all season.)

CHIP72
November 5th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Lehigh will probably still get crushed IMO, but we'll see what happens.

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Colgate - Lehigh games are almost always very competitive. I expect this one will be no different.

cx500d
November 5th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Colgate 41-17

They've given up 23 points all year and you are giving Lelow 17 in this game?

katss07
November 5th, 2018, 04:44 PM
31-7 Colgate

ElCid
November 5th, 2018, 05:39 PM
42-10 Colgate with a late garbage TD for Lehigh.

LehighU11
November 5th, 2018, 05:53 PM
I'll beat Pard4Life and carney to it: only Lehigh fans would have the audacity to believe that we have perhaps turned the corner after only beating a bad Bucknell squad missing half their starters, following annihilation against Fordham and Holy Cross, and a first ever PL-era loss to Georgetown. Lehigh does have a chance at scoring 2 TDs and/or holding Colgate to a 3-4 score margin of victory, but that's about it. Colgate's stellar D will overwhelm our OL.

While Nebraska's near upset at the Horseshoe a week after snapping a long losing streak gives hope for Any Given Saturday, the Cornhuskers have one thing that Lehigh doesn't: capable coaching. Frost inherited an 0-12 UCF squad and turned around records of 6-7 and 13-0 the next two seasons. Coen has presided over the accelerating demise of one of the better FCS programs and has assistants that are in over their heads.

PAllen
November 5th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Lehigh might score a TD, but I would expect this team to crumble as soon as Colgate shows any signs of exerting their will.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 5th, 2018, 10:21 PM
If you believe in the Fordham transitive property, Colgate will win 84-14

bonarae
November 6th, 2018, 02:13 AM
Score won't be as high as some will predict, but a shutout is very likely for 'Gate.

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Opening line: Colgate -32.5 (total 47)

Gangtackle11
November 7th, 2018, 09:21 AM
If you believe in the Fordham transitive property, Colgate will win 84-14

No way Lehigh gets 14. xsmiley_wixxpeacex

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Tailgate Report and how to catch the game:

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/11/2018-week-10-colgate-tailgate-report.html

Should be a fun weekend - Family Weekend and some pretty foliage. Also included is a small explanation of the history of the Lehigh/Colgate rivalry.

ngineer
November 8th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Well, at least the forecast has changed with heavy rain now occurring Friday/Friday evening. While the nothing should be falling from the sky on Saturday, the track could be wet to soggy. Goodman has an excellent draining field that was installed about 13 years ago after being destroyed in the "monsoon" game versus Holy Cross. Sometimes the field gets tarped, but word is that the tarp will be left off.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2018, 12:37 AM
Colgate’s Big Red Blanket Heads To Lehigh To Continue Their Business Of Winning

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/colgates-big-red-blanket-heads-to-lehigh-to-continue-their-business-of-winning/

Go...gate
November 9th, 2018, 02:54 AM
Tailgate Report and how to catch the game:

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/11/2018-week-10-colgate-tailgate-report.html

Should be a fun weekend - Family Weekend and some pretty foliage. Also included is a small explanation of the history of the Lehigh/Colgate rivalry.

LFN, a fine job as always.

Southsider
November 9th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Well, at least the forecast has changed with heavy rain now occurring Friday/Friday evening. While the nothing should be falling from the sky on Saturday, the track could be wet to soggy. Goodman has an excellent draining field that was installed about 13 years ago after being destroyed in the "monsoon" game versus Holy Cross. Sometimes the field gets tarped, but word is that the tarp will be left off.

Ngineer, last Friday we had 3.5" of rain. I do not think Goodman was tarped. If it was, they hid them pretty well after rolling them up. The field was as perfect as I've ever seen it. Tonight they're calling for 1.5". Looks like the wind will be a factor again tomorrow. Hopefully LU will be competitive. Regardless, let's all hope 2019 brings much needed change!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Do i make the pilgrimage to Goodman tomorrow for the game? I'm intrigued to see how good Colgate looks in person.xsmiley_wix:D

RichH2
November 9th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Do i make the pilgrimage to Goodman tomorrow for the game? I'm intrigued to see how good Colgate looks in person.xsmiley_wix:D

Yup.

ngineer
November 9th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Ngineer, last Friday we had 3.5" of rain. I do not think Goodman was tarped. If it was, they hid them pretty well after rolling them up. The field was as perfect as I've ever seen it. Tonight they're calling for 1.5". Looks like the wind will be a factor again tomorrow. Hopefully LU will be competitive. Regardless, let's all hope 2019 brings much needed change!

Yes, you are correct on the rain totals. I don't think the field was covered, either. I agree that the field handled the game very well and looked good and 'solid'. Thing is after so much rain over a period of time, there might be an accumulation. I am glad they kept Goodman grass and the landscape engineering has appeared to be top notch. Things will be wet, but I don't think we'll see anything like a 'muddy track'. I was there for the Holy Cross game around 2005. Never seen anything like it since!

ColgateTD
November 9th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Snowing in upstate NY right now. Glad the game is at Goodman. Hope the rain holds off down there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Snowing in upstate NY right now. Glad the game is at Goodman. Hope the rain holds off down there.

We had enough snow to coat the greens just north of Scranton before it changed over to rain.

The biggest issue tomorrow will be the wind. Gusts to 40 at Goodman (big open plain) will be intense .

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2018, 12:55 AM
Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/11/2018-week-10-colgate-game-breakdown-and.html

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Ok, they scored a TD on Colgate. I'm impressed.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Narrator: "They didn't."

RichH2
November 10th, 2018, 04:02 PM
So the Lehigh mojo was a nogo today. Perhaps it was a mirage or just a fantasy last week. Going to be another long offseason for Lehigh and its farns

PAllen
November 10th, 2018, 08:00 PM
So the Lehigh mojo was a nogo today. Perhaps it was a mirage or just a fantasy last week. Going to be another long offseason for Lehigh and its farns

Hopefully a win next week, then on to watching some wrestling while awaiting the announcement of the new coaching staff.

Gate83
November 10th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Ok, they scored a TD on Colgate. I'm impressed.

Homer call, he was juggling it on the way out of the end zone. Is it possible to be bitter when you win by 40?

ElCid
November 10th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Homer call, he was juggling it on the way out of the end zone. Is it possible to be bitter when you win by 40?

I was unimpressed with Army today. Caught a bit of their game against Lafayette. They are beatable. Get the scalp.