PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Walter Payton Award?

smallcollegefbfan
November 4th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Entering the final stretch these next couple weeks so who do you think? Vote and tell why.

POD Knows
November 4th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Maier, UCD, pure numbers and the football team is very good this year. Seems to be head and shoulders above the rest.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I like Christion over Maier by a hair right now. Better rushing numbers plus a higher pass efficiency rating (overall numbers are less due to 165 less pass attempts on the year than Maier).

Of course last year that didn't really work with Briscoe vs Streveler so my vote is probably more along the lines of what they should do rather than what they will do.

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 12:44 PM
The Payton should be the best player, not the best stats, but since it is usually the best stats, I feel like the voters will choose Maier. So that's why I went with him.

JSUSoutherner
November 4th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Josh Pearson for President.

WestCoastAggie
November 4th, 2018, 01:29 PM
The Payton should be the best player, not the best stats, but since it is usually the best stats, I feel like the voters will choose Maier. So that's why I went with him.

He has not just the stats, but he also has the results.

grizband
November 4th, 2018, 01:33 PM

The argument can certainly be made that Maier both has the best stats, and is the best player this season.

Bison56
November 4th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Maier because he is the best player.

- - - Updated - - -

Who?

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 01:46 PM

The argument can certainly be made that Maier both has the best stats, and is the best player this season.

I feel like the best player was either Jaquan Keys, Taryn Christon, Tom Flacco, Jake Maier, and/or Devlin Hodges.

I have seen Maier play multiple games this year, he came to play against ISUo, but I don't know if he is the best player or somewhat of a benefactor of Keelan Doss being the best WR in the FCS (yes I know Stewart is good too) with the next two players behind Doss almost equaling Doss's stats alone. If Maier wins it, he will truly earn it and I will be proud of him, but I feel like the other 4 I listed, are just as good if not better. (At least we won't have a 2nd helping of Streveler being stiffed this year).

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2018, 02:01 PM
The only knock I can find on Maier is his 6.98 yards per pass attempt. That's pretty average as it stands at 55th in the FCS. Christion is at 9.05 yards per pass attempt. Easton Stick is 9.09 yards per pass attempt. Lovett is at 8.24 and Flacco is at 7.76. Because of that's he's down at 24th in pass efficiency nationally.

You can claim that's normal for a volume passing offense like UC Davis runs but Samford runs a similar offense and Hodges averages 8.12 yards per pass attempt.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 4th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Stick has the best results of all these guys.

JSUSoutherner
November 4th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Maier because he is the best player.

- - - Updated - - -

Who?

Receiving TD leader for all of D1.

He's the sole reason our offense has scored any points this season.

BlueGoldAg
November 4th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I voted for Jake Maier and, yes, my vote is very biased. I simply do not know that much about the other players listed. I have watched Jake in every game this season and I think he must be at least as good as any QB at the FCS level. The Ags do throw a lot and we do have a remarkable stable of receivers who have the ability to make some circus catches but it all starts with Jake. Dan Hawkins says Maier is as good a QB as he has had in all of his years of coaching.

Hawkins says that Maier has everything he wants in a QB. According to Hawkins Maier has a huge work ethic, is a smart student of the game, is a fierce competitor, is calm under pressure, is a team leader and a humble team player. Those qualities, when paired up with his natural athletic ability make him special.

I thought two of Jakes best performances this season were in the come from behind OT victory over Idaho State and the come from behind win at Montana. Behind 15 points with 8 minutes to go in the game against ISU, Maier took control of the Ags and methodically ran the Aggies' hurry up offense to tie the score with pin point passing and consistently good decisions. Montana put a lot of pressure on Maier throughout the game yet, time and time again, Jake was able to side step the rush, step up in the pocket or roll out to the side a make a remarkable, off balance throw. The Montana announcers kept saying how impressed they were at how Maier was able to adjust his throwing motion and find a receiver while narrowly avoiding a sack. I've seen him throw side-armed off his back foot and place the ball where the receiver has a chance to make a play. He will not beat anyone with his feet but he is poised under pressure and can throw from off balanced positions and still make a play. He is as good as advertised.

That's my completely biased 2 cents worth...

ksu_owls
November 5th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I voted Chandler Burks-- no surprise. I guess the issue with him is he is only being considered by the platform he plays on, which is a weak Big South and an overall weak SOS. I think he is some kind of special, though.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2018, 10:54 AM

......HENRIETTAH......COOD RUN DAT OFFENSE.......BRAWK!

POD Knows
November 5th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Yea. Nattys.

POD Knows
November 5th, 2018, 11:01 AM
......HENRIETTAH......COOD RUN DAT OFFENSE.......BRAWK!
You think so.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2018, 11:11 AM
....OOM-HOOM!..........DUH....TRUNK MONKEY....WOOD START OVERAH ETHAN..........AWK!

POD Knows
November 5th, 2018, 11:14 AM
....OOM-HOOM!
Disagree but that is a whole other thread.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2018, 11:16 AM
....AH EDITED....RE-READ......DOODLE-DOO!

cx500d
November 5th, 2018, 04:37 PM

He's out...I heard he snapped Becky Johnson's bra strap in 5th grade.

dewey
November 5th, 2018, 07:29 PM
I voted for Easton Stick. I am a homer but he was the championship game MVP and is running the offense for the best team in the country.

Dewey

grizband
November 5th, 2018, 07:33 PM
I voted for Easton Stick. I am a homer but he was the championship game MVP and is running the offense for the best team in the country.

Dewey
Last year's results are not (or at least, shouldn't be) relevant to this year. Also, he plays with the best team in the country, yes, but that honestly makes what some of the other players do even more remarkable.

dewey
November 5th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Last year's results are not (or at least, shouldn't be) relevant to this year. Also, he plays with the best team in the country, yes, but that honestly makes what some of the other players do even more remarkable.I partially agree that last year shouldn't have a that big of an impact but he has proven what he can do against the best defenses out there when the game is on the line.

It would be nice to see how many offensive plays the players have had to accumulate their statistics because some teams are blowing teams put and the starters dont play the 4th quarter or even most of the 3rd quarter.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 09:05 PM
I partially agree that last year shouldn't have a that big of an impact but he has proven what he can do against the best defenses out there when the game is on the line.

It would be nice to see how many offensive plays the players have had to accumulate their statistics because some teams are blowing teams put and the starters dont play the 4th quarter or even most of the 3rd quarter.

Dewey

You can see the total offensive plays team stat here and sort on it: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/national_ranking?academic_year=2019.0&division=12.0&ranking_period=28.0&sport_code=MFB&stat_seq=21.0

Total offense plays amongst the teams for the players in this list:

Kennesaw St 627
South Dakota St 524
Towson 679
Princeton 592
UC Davis 726
North Dakota St 567

Obviously for some of those (Kennesaw St and Princeton more than anyone probably) those QB1s didn't see nearly all those snaps due to the blowout nature of the majority of their games.

dewey
November 5th, 2018, 09:06 PM
You can see the total offensive plays team state here and sort on them: http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/national_ranking?academic_year=2019.0&division=12.0&ranking_period=28.0&sport_code=MFB&stat_seq=21.0

Total offense plays amongst the teams for the players in this list:
Kennesaw St 627
South Dakota St 524
Towson 679
Princeton 592
UC Davis 726
North Dakota St 567Thanks PC. I wonder how many of those plays Stick or any other candidate participated in?

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Thanks PC. I wonder how many of those plays Stick or any other candidate participated in?

Dewey

Pass Att
Yards
Avg
Rush Att
Yards
Avg
Tot Att
Tot Yards
Avg

Burks

Christion

Flacco

Lovett

Maier

Stick

It is kind of interesting that Flacco, between pass and rush attempts, has more than doubled up Burks at this point. If you extrapolated Stick's total yards per rush or pass attempt out to the number of attempts for Flacco he'd have 3524 total yards. Of course there's something to be said for the durability of the guys who've been able to take that kind of usage and stay healthy.

dewey
November 5th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Just imagine the booing if Christion wins the Payton award and is announced at halftime while the Bison are playing for another national title.

It might be Bo Levi Mitchell from the 2011-2012 title game all over again.

Dewey

JSUSoutherner
November 5th, 2018, 09:39 PM
He's out...I heard he snapped Becky Johnson's bra strap in 5th grade.

F@K3 N3Ws

Go...gate
November 5th, 2018, 11:32 PM
I voted for Lovett. Possibly the best run/pass guy in Tigertown since Dick Kazmaier won the Heisman in 1950.

KUlawJack
November 5th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Just imagine the booing if Christion wins the Payton award and is announced at halftime while the Bison are playing for another national title.

It might be Bo Levi Mitchell from the 2011-2012 title game all over again.

Dewey

After 4 years of him being a huge pain in Bison ass, I’d figure you’d cheer. 😉

mvemjsunpx
November 5th, 2018, 11:47 PM
Flacco has the best overall stats of those listed in the poll.

To me, the knock on Maier is that most of his stats are down from last year. Davis's success has been thanks to an improved running game & a vastly improved defense.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2018, 08:29 AM

Dewey

.....SO COOD...DUH......TRUNK MONKEY...........BRAWK!

semobison
November 6th, 2018, 08:54 AM
I've never been a big fan of individual awards in college football. It has become a, who has the best stats competition. If it was really for the best player we would be asking...Who has the best chance of playing on Sunday's.

lucchesicourt
November 8th, 2018, 06:10 PM
semobison- that philosophy didn't work for Doss last year. He led all of D1 (FBS asnd FCS) in receptions and yardage through the regular season.

SU DOG
November 8th, 2018, 08:47 PM
I still believe that Devlin Hodges is a serious threat to win this award.

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2018, 09:47 PM
..........NOBODAH....FROM....FURMAN............... .BRAWK!

dewey
November 8th, 2018, 10:05 PM
..........NOBODAH....FROM....FURMAN............... .BRAWK!

They are up for the Heisman.

Dewey

Lorne_Malvo
November 8th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Whats the criteria... Stick wins this hands down or its a joke.

smallcollegefbfan
November 9th, 2018, 08:32 AM
I've never been a big fan of individual awards in college football. It has become a, who has the best stats competition. If it was really for the best player we would be asking...Who has the best chance of playing on Sunday's.

Some people think that who is playing in the NFL should not be taken into account but the best players make it to the NFL so shouldn't those who produce AND are going to play in the NFL be considered among them?

When it comes to my list for the Payton here are the players with the best shot at the NFL:

WR Juston Chrisian, Marist, Sr.- 39 catches, 972 yards, 24.9ypc, 12 TD, 108ypg in 9 games.
QB Taryn Christion, South Dakota State, Sr.- 138-225, 2036 yards, 23 TD, 6 INT, 61.3%, 254.5ypg, 165.7 pass eff, 43 carries, 159 yards, 4 TD in 8 games.
RB Ra’Quanne Dickens, Incarnate Word, Sr.- 128 carries, 841 yards, 6.6ypc, 11 TD, 93.4ypg, 10 catches, 88 yards in 9 games.
LT Drew Forbes, Southeast Missouri State, Sr.- 3-year starter, 2017 2nd team All-OVC, likely 2018 1st team All-OVC, potential top 4 round pick in NFL Draft.
WR Alexander Hollins, Eastern Illinois, Sr.- 70 catches, 899 yards, 12.8ypc, 13 TD, 99.9ypg in 9 games.
WR Jesper Horsted, Princeton, Sr.- 59 catches, 817 yards, 13.8ypc, 9 TD, 102.1ypg in 8 games.
TE Donald Parham, Stetson, Sr.- 64 catches, 951 yards, 14.9ypc, 9 TD, 135.9ypg in 7 games.
WR Josh Pearson, Jacksonville State, Jr.- 46 catches, 769 yards, 16.7ypc, 15 TD, 85.4ypg in 9 games.
FB Joe Protheroe, Cal Poly, Sr.- 288 carries, 1367 yards, 4.7ypc, 12 TD, 151.9ypg, 2 catches, 4 yards in 9 games.
RB James Robinson, Illinois State, Jr.- 162 carries, 961 yards, 5.9ypc, 10 TD, 106.8ypg, 19 catches, 168 yards, 1 TD in 9 games.
QB Easton Stick, North Dakota State, Sr.- 98-171, 1554 yards, 14 TD, 2 INT, 57.3%, 172.7ypg, 158.3 pass eff, 69 carries, 388 yards, 5.6ypc, 10 TD in 9 games.

In fact, the best one is likely Drew Forbes but he won't make official lists because he is an OL. Linemen get screwed when it comes to the Payton. There aren't consistent grading scales by coaches, knockdowns, and sacks allowed numbers are not released and media doesn't truly know what that means. There have been several guys who should have finished top 5 for it but never will but the media doesn't have access to stats and don't truly know how to gauge them for linemen.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2018, 09:20 AM
After 4 years of him being a huge pain in Bison ass, I’d figure you’d cheer. ��
It's only been 3 years. :D

In 2015 for some inexplicable reason SDSU was still starting the last QB (Lujaun maybe was his name???) instead of Christion when the Bison played them.