PDA

View Full Version : UND vs Montana

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Let's assume both teams win out. Currently Montana is 28th in Massey with SOS of 31. They play Idaho, 31st in Massey, and MSU, 26th in Massey. Meanwhile, UND is currently 25th in Massey and plays Portland St, 43rd in Massey, and NAU, 59th in Massey. Who is ranked higher? Who makes the playoffs?

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Let's assume both teams win out. Currently Montana is 28th in Massey with SOS of 31. They play Idaho, 31st in Massey, and MSU, 26th in Massey. Meanwhile, UND is currently 25th in Massey and plays Portland St, 43rd in Massey, and NAU, 59th in Massey. Who is ranked higher? Who makes the playoffs?

None of you. There are 4 other teams higher, and most of them are at risk for only one more loss.

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2018, 11:46 AM
None of you. There are 4 other teams higher, and most of them are at risk for only one more loss.
From the Big Sky? Do you think we will be treated as a Big Sky team by the committee?

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 11:46 AM
From the Big Sky? Do you think we will be treated as a Big Sky team by the committee?

No, you would be an at-large, but it doesn't matter after yesterday.

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2018, 11:50 AM
No, you would be an at-large, but it doesn't matter after yesterday.
Obviously we're an at large, but will playing a Big Sky schedule be counted against us in that they won't want to go over a number of teams "from the Big Sky"

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Obviously we're an at large, but will playing a Big Sky schedule be counted against us in that they won't want to go over a number of teams "from the Big Sky"

I don't think so....But you bring up a good point, there is a pack of big sky teams this year up for consideration. Of course the last one in automatically loses to San Diego.

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2018, 12:01 PM
I don't think so....But you bring up a good point, there is a pack of big sky teams this year up for consideration. Of course the last one in automatically loses to San Diego.
Still, to the original question. Who would you rank higher if they both won out between UND and Montana?

POD Knows
November 4th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Let's assume both teams win out. Currently Montana is 28th in Massey with SOS of 31. They play Idaho, 31st in Massey, and MSU, 26th in Massey. Meanwhile, UND is currently 25th in Massey and plays Portland St, 43rd in Massey, and NAU, 59th in Massey. Who is ranked higher? Who makes the playoffs?I am glad you started this thread, in your scenario, I would have no idea whether either would be in but if it got down to the last spot, I would give it to UND based on the head to head with the Griz.

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Still, to the original question. Who would you rank higher if they both won out between UND and Montana?
UCD, Weber, EWU, ID State

gregatim
November 4th, 2018, 12:45 PM
I am glad you started this thread, in your scenario, I would have no idea whether either would be in but if it got down to the last spot, I would give it to UND based on the head to head with the Griz.

i agree, but the reality is Montana will have Big Sky reps on the selection committee pushing for them and UND will not. And that will be the case with any other bubble team UND is battling with for one of the last playoff spots. I believe UND's playoffs started yesterday, don't think it's necessarily right but that bed was made 20 yrars ago.

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2018, 01:05 PM
i agree, but the reality is Montana will have Big Sky reps on the selection committee pushing for them and UND will not. And that will be the case with any other bubble team UND is battling with for one of the last playoff spots. I believe UND's playoffs started yesterday, don't think it's necessarily right but that bed was made 20 yrars ago.
Think stadium size makes a difference? Obviously Montana would pull way more than UND for attendance.

gregatim
November 4th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Think stadium size makes a difference? Obviously Montana would pull way more than UND for attendance.

Are you asking if the NCAA likes its money? Yah, money will certainly also be a factor. 25k in attendance vs 6.5k makes the math pretty easy too. What are the odds Montana wins out? Too lazy to check their schedule myself.

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Are you asking if the NCAA likes its money? Yah, money will certainly also be a factor. 25k in attendance vs 6.5k makes the math pretty easy too. What are the odds Montana wins out? Too lazy to check their schedule myself.

Check the first post in the thread

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 4th, 2018, 02:41 PM
If both are 7-4 would a head/head win trump the increased $$ the other way?

Vandal03
November 4th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Since Montana won’t win out UND gets in before the Griz.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Oh yes, the old "they have a committee rep" line of thinking. It's a toss up with the equal records except for the H2H which would be a strong case for UND if all other things remain equal.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2018, 03:39 PM

No it won't. This has been shown to be BS on multiple occasions...maybe kingpin will chime in with this one from a few years back. The committee selects, the NCAA does not. The committee doesn't GAF about the money becasue it doesn't mean anything to them. They are independent of the money brought in and the money is so small in overall NCAA budgetary concerns it means pretty much nothing. It looks way better on TV but UM has been left out several times when a case could have been made for inclusion. UND would have a decent crowd for a playoff game so I think they could get by with it if "the look" were a concern which it is not judging from many venues that host playoff games.

BisonFan02
November 4th, 2018, 03:43 PM
The answer should be neither.......but I'm having a REALLY tough time thinking of 24 good teams in the FCS this year....including seeds. Gonna be an interesting selection day.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2018, 04:45 PM
The answer should be neither.......but I'm having a REALLY tough time thinking of 24 good teams in the FCS this year....including seeds. Gonna be an interesting selection day.

100% agree. It is always slippery years like this where it gets down to "do I grab this mediocrity or that mediocrty and it is gonna be bad at th ebottom, or worse than I think we've had in a while...but it is possible that there is a bit of evening out among the field and the lesser teams are just a bit more equal than usual and not really worse off as far as overall talent and coaching.

It's hard to say for me. Outside of NDSU I really don't know if there is a huge difference in most of the teams out there right now and that is also what causes some consternation possibly.