View Full Version : Can Lamar make the playoffs by winning out....?

Rob Butler
November 4th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Here's a legitimate question. With the way Lamar is playing, and the chaos throughout the Southland Conference, does Lamar have a legitimate shot at getting into the FCS playoffs? Either by winning the conference, which they aren't mathematically eliminated, or getting an at-large bid. Winning six games in a row versus quality ranked opponents is going to be hard for the committee to ignore. The huge loss to Texas Tech, although expected, will hurt them because of the margin of victory (77-0).... Thoughts on this topic anyone?

Catatonic
November 4th, 2018, 09:01 AM
The same question could be raised about Abilene Christian should they win out. They would own wins over Nicholls, SLU, Sam Houston and UCA. Nothing seems very certain in the SLC right now.

katss07
November 4th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately not. They have a D2 win and can only get to 6 FCS wins. Their only path may be through chaos and a SLC Championship. Still thats a tall order. McNeese is the best team the Cardinals will see all season.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I think it'll be pretty tough for any Southland team with a 7-4 record but only 6 D1 wins to get it. I mentioned it in another thread but it all depends on whether the selection committee views the added depth in the Southland this year as an indication that the conference has a bunch of average to slightly above average teams or if it means that the added depth is from playoff caliber teams. IMO it's the former and if the committee sees it the same way the SLC is probably looking at 2 bids tops with the way they've cannibalized each other.

Can you guys PLEASE get rid of the 9 game conference schedule???

BEAR
November 4th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Can you guys PLEASE get rid of the 9 game conference schedule???

Thank you.

We got 2 paycheck games next year. Plus 9 conference games. We will not be going to the playoffs next year. xlolx

Outsider1
November 4th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Sadly, Lamar is in the pretty much the exact situation of ACU. 1 ooc loss to a decent FBS opponent and 1 ooc win to a non D1 opponent. It will come down to voting and I am not convinced the SLC in general this year will be viewed positive enough for either of us to happen. Both of our scenarios also assume winning out the rest of the season. Although I think you have a good chance of doing that, I don't think the other issues are over come.

Sent from my BLU_S1 using Tapatalk

Catatonic
November 4th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Thank you.

We got 2 paycheck games next year. Plus 9 conference games. We will not be going to the playoffs next year. xlolx

FCS teams can schedule 12 games next year. Corner your AD and point out your only hope is to add UC Davis to your schedule. Or maybe a rematch with Murray State.