PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 10 2018

superman7515
November 3rd, 2018, 11:25 PM
One game still going on that will affect the ballots, but let's be honest, it's after midnight and Idaho State/Portland State are tied up in a shootout in just the third quarter... I'm not sticking around for the end.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rAkxaNu7YbnE7uAFpBIkJBlq1--kQuqZnxTrIAQbGCc/edit?usp=sharing

Once again, green background is for teams that have 7 or more D1 wins, yellow background is for teams that must win all of their remaining games to reach 7, and a red background means there isn't a way for that to happen.

Eight more teams reached their 7th D1 win today, ETSU clinched at least a share of the SoCon title, Monmouth and Kennesaw St continued to win setting up a de facto conference championship game next week in the Big South, the Southland collectively proclaimed they don't like playing football after Thanksgiving anyway, and several Top 25 upsets. In the words of Dr. Dre, "Not these Nicholls again!" At least, I think that's what he said.

As always, if you see any errors, please let me know so we can get those corrected; and as long as you see *** in the column header, those haven't been updated and are the numbers from last week.

JSUSoutherner
November 3rd, 2018, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Supe!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 3rd, 2018, 11:34 PM
One game still going on that will affect the ballots, but let's be honest, it's after midnight and Idaho State/Portland State are tied up in a shootout in just the third quarter... I'm not sticking around for the end.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rAkxaNu7YbnE7uAFpBIkJBlq1--kQuqZnxTrIAQbGCc/edit?usp=sharing

Once again, green background is for teams that have 7 or more D1 wins, yellow background is for teams that must win all of their remaining games to reach 7, and a red background means there isn't a way for that to happen.

Eight more teams reached their 7th D1 win today, ETSU clinched at least a share of the SoCon title, Monmouth and Kennesaw St continued to win setting up a de facto conference championship game next week in the Big South, the Southland collectively proclaimed they don't like playing football after Thanksgiving anyway, and several Top 25 upsets. In the words of Dr. Dre, "Not these Nicholls again!" At least, I think that's what he said.

As always, if you see any errors, please let me know so we can get those corrected; and as long as you see *** in the column header, those haven't been updated and are the numbers from last week.

I will be though. Watching a great game so won't open the poll until after it is over just so the rest of you know. Thank you supey.

mainejeff
November 3rd, 2018, 11:40 PM
Maine deserves to be in the 10-15 range at this point. Tied with Delaware at the top of the CAA with a 5-1 record!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 3rd, 2018, 11:44 PM
Maine deserves to be in the 10-15 range at this point. Tied with Delaware at the top of the CAA with a 5-1 record!

I agree! They've played a tough schedule too! If they win out a high seed should be the reward imo.

mainejeff
November 3rd, 2018, 11:47 PM
I agree! They've played a tough schedule too! If they win out a high seed should be the reward imo.

I just compared Maine's schedule and Ws & Ls with Delaware, Stony Brook and Towson. I don't get why those teams have had their rankings so inflated while Maine languishes 10-15 spots in back of them...???

dewey
November 3rd, 2018, 11:49 PM

IIIRC Maines starting QB was out for their Yale loss...right?

What about the William & Mary loss? Starting QB out or just a stinker?

Dewey

dewey
November 3rd, 2018, 11:51 PM
I just compared Maine's schedule and Ws & Ls with Delaware, Stony Brook and Towson. I don't get why those teams have had their rankings so inflated while Maine languishes 10-15 spots in back of them...???

Part of it to me is Maine got beat by 21 by Yale and also lost to William and Mary.

Delaware has lost 2 games.
Rhode Island by 2
@ NDSU by a lot.
No bad losses.
Red hot since then

Stony Brook
Lost at Air Force by a lot.
Lost to Towson by 24
Lost @ James Madison by 3
No bad losses.

I think from those resumes (before this weeks action) both teams should have been ranked higher than Maine. Obviously next week will be different as JMU got beat handily by UNH.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
November 3rd, 2018, 11:57 PM
Maine is also benefitting from a pretty fortuitous unbalanced conference schedule since the 3 CAA teams they miss are Delaware, JMU, and Stony Brook.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 12:02 AM
Maine is also benefitting from a pretty fortuitous unbalanced conference schedule since the 3 CAA teams they miss are Delaware, JMU, and Stony Brook.

Can't the same be said for JMU (Missing Maine and Delaware) and Delaware (missing Maine and JMU)...???

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2018, 12:07 AM
Can't the same be said for JMU (Missing Maine and Delaware) and Delaware (missing Maine and JMU)...???
JMU also misses Albany and Delaware misses W&M. They both are probably still on the better half of the CAA when it comes to advantageous unbalanced schedules but Maine is the only CAA team that I can see that is missing 3 other CAA contenders.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 12:13 AM
Part of it to me is Maine got beat by 21 by Yale and also lost to William and Mary.

Delaware has lost 2 games.
Rhode Island by 2
@ NDSU by a lot.
No bad losses.
Red hot since then

Stony Brook
Lost at Air Force by a lot.
Lost to Towson by 24
Lost @ James Madison by 3
No bad losses.

I think from those resumes (before this weeks action) both teams should have been ranked higher than Maine. Obviously next week will be different as JMU got beat handily by UNH.

Dewey

Maine beat URI and crushed Albany. Delaware lost to URI and squeaked by Albany in the last minute. They got fat on sisters of the poor (Lafayette & Cornell) while Maine was playing 2 FBS opponents (beating WKU).

Towson has had one good win over 6-3 Stony Brook and had benefitted from a very weak CAA schedule to date (wins over Nova, W&M, & Albany).

Stony Brook.....shut out 38-0 at Air Force, 2 wins over Bryant & Fordham, 3 wins over Nova, Richmond & UNH. A win over URI (like Maine) and a close loss to a fading JMU team......yet #13.....10 spots higher than Maine????

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 12:17 AM
JMU also misses Albany and Delaware misses W&M. They both are probably still on the better half of the CAA when it comes to advantageous unbalanced schedules but Maine is the only CAA team that I can see that is missing 3 other CAA contenders.

Maine is the only CAA team that has beaten Towson at their place this season. Towson beat #13 Stony Brook 52-28 at Unitas.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 12:22 AM

And you want to see a weak schedule....take a look at JMU! 5 of their 6 wins....Norfolk State, Robert Morris, W&M, Richmond & Nova. Losses to Elon and UNH (Maine crushed UNH). Impressive!

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2018, 12:29 AM
And you want to see a weak schedule....take a look at JMU! 5 of their 6 wins....Norfolk State, Robert Morris, W&M, Richmond & Nova. Losses to Elon and UNH (Maine crushed UNH). Impressive!
Yeah, JMU is going to get punished pretty harshly I think (at least in the AGS poll). Their only quality win is a 3 point home squeaker against Stony Brook. They do have chances at redemption to close out the season with both URI and Towson but I remember looking at JMU's schedule before the Elon game and thinking how backloaded it was. It's not out of the realm of possibility at this point that they drop their last 2 and miss the playoffs completely which would be quite the fall from grace for a team ranked #2 in the 10/31 committee rankings.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Idaho State beat PSU 48-45. Very close game and both teams lacked some defense for sure tonight. PSU has been allowing about 17 ppg it appeared over the previous 4 or 5 games so trust me Idaho State does have offense to be sure.

HensRock
November 4th, 2018, 12:54 AM
Maine now alone controls it's destiny regarding the CAA Automatic Bid.
They own the tiebreaker over UD should both win out.
However, if both go 1-1 from here, it gets unclear. Delaware has an advantage in many tiebreakers involving multiple CAA teams finishing 6-2 in conference.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 4th, 2018, 01:12 AM
Yeah, JMU is going to get punished pretty harshly I think (at least in the AGS poll). Their only quality win is a 3 point home squeaker against Stony Brook. They do have chances at redemption to close out the season with both URI and Towson but I remember looking at JMU's schedule before the Elon game and thinking how backloaded it was. It's not out of the realm of possibility at this point that they drop their last 2 and miss the playoffs completely which would be quite the fall from grace for a team ranked #2 in the 10/31 committee rankings.
You should all go to about the 22:00 mark and give this a listen.

http://thefcswedge.com/?powerpress_pinw=4405-podcast

Lance & Kris nailed that one down last Tuesday. Not with confidence at first but they talked themselves into it. xlolx

JALMOND
November 4th, 2018, 02:15 AM
Idaho State beat PSU 48-45. Very close game and both teams lacked some defense for sure tonight. PSU has been allowing about 17 ppg it appeared over the previous 4 or 5 games so trust me Idaho State does have offense to be sure.

Idaho State's offense is legit. Anyone on that offense is capable of a big play and Gueller does a great job at finding them. Everyone seems satisfied with whoever has the ball. That offense will give any defense fits. Based on what I saw, they deserve to be in the playoffs. They are a legitimate top 25 team.

wmmii
November 4th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Maine QB played the game at Williamsburg. Maine scored on the first play from scrimmage when W&M center hiked the ball over the QB head into end zone for a Maine TD. Maine lost the game due to a pick 6, two other INT and having 13 penalties for 130 yards that made it hard for them to score on the Tribe D. W&M coach called out Maine for their unclean play after the game as shown by the 13 penalties. I got the Blue Hens ranked over the Bears.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Maine beat URI and crushed Albany. Delaware lost to URI and squeaked by Albany in the last minute. They got fat on sisters of the poor (Lafayette & Cornell) while Maine was playing 2 FBS opponents (beating WKU).

Towson has had one good win over 6-3 Stony Brook and had benefitted from a very weak CAA schedule to date (wins over Nova, W&M, & Albany).

Stony Brook.....shut out 38-0 at Air Force, 2 wins over Bryant & Fordham, 3 wins over Nova, Richmond & UNH. A win over URI (like Maine) and a close loss to a fading JMU team......yet #13.....10 spots higher than Maine????

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29416&stc=1......DELAWARE (25)......&......MAINE (22)......RELATIVELAH....EVEN IN CURRENT....STRENGTH UH SKEDS......DISPITE YER....2 FBS's.............AWK!

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 08:04 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29416&stc=1......DELAWARE (25)......&......MAINE (22)......RELATIVELAH....EVEN IN CURRENT....STRENGTH UH SKEDS......DISPITE YER....2 FBS's.............AWK!

All I know is that Maine has gone 3-1 in their last 4 CAA games.......with 3 of those 4 being on the road. AWK!

RootinFerDukes
November 4th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Wow the back end of the top 25 is rough this week. I'm ranking teams that I don't think should be ranked, but there's just no one else in the vicinity of the top 40 worth ranking ahead of them. Also keeping teams in that probably shouldn't be for this same reason. No one wants to be ranked.

dewey
November 4th, 2018, 08:15 AM

I was just going to look for strength of schedule...thanks. Plus Maine has a 21 point loss to a meh Yale team and Maine lost to a meh William & Mary.

The fact is Delware & Stony Brook have no bad losses.

Dewey

POD Knows
November 4th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Wow the back end of the top 25 is rough this week. I'm ranking teams that I don't think should be ranked, but there's just no one else in the vicinity of the top 40 worth ranking ahead of them. Also keeping teams in that probably shouldn't be for this same reason. No one wants to be ranked.The back? 3 to 25 is brutal.

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2018, 08:22 AM
It's kind of mind boggling that ETSU's 6 SOCON wins have come by a combined 16 points. Their total points score and points allowed in conference games this year are 182 and 179 despite the fact that they're 6-1. I haven't been sold on them all year but at a certain point you gotta reward winning no matter how tight the games continue to be.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 08:23 AM
I was just going to look for strength of schedule...thanks. Plus Maine has a 21 point loss to a meh Yale team and Maine lost to a meh William & Mary.

The fact is Delware & Stony Brook have no bad losses.

Dewey

Yale is 5-3.....comparable to 5-4 URI.

Do the Blue Hens have any good wins?

geaux_sioux
November 4th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Pretty certain you can stick a fork in the ol F’n Hawks after last nights debacle against a bad team.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Yale is 5-3.....comparable to 5-4 URI.

Do the Blue Hens have any good wins?

....C'MON JEFFY.......DOES UH BEAR.....____.....IN DUH WOODS?.........DOODLE-DOO!

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 08:33 AM
.....AN' WHILE....KENNESAW STATE.....IS DUH....ENVY UH DUH SOUFF.......WHIFF STRENGTH O' SKED 91..........LET'S PILE ON COLGATE.......WHO'S 79........BRAWK!

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 08:35 AM
So what is it going to take to have roughly 25 teams who want to be rated and not 15ish or so and then another 15 who have zero interest on separating themselves?

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 08:39 AM
So what is it going to take to have roughly 25 teams who want to be rated and not 15ish or so and then another 15 who have zero interest on separating themselves?

....HARD FO' COLLEGE KIDS.......TA KEEP MIND ON.......ELEVEN GAMES UH YEAR......AWQ!

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 08:40 AM
....HARD FO' COLLEGE KIDS.......TA KEEP MIND ON.......ELEVEN GAMES UH YEAR......AWQ!

Well it would be much appreciated.

Terry2889
November 4th, 2018, 08:41 AM

I hate to say this about a fellow CAA power, but we might want to possibly pump the brakes on JMU this year. The last few weeks they haven't been particularly good, and yesterday they looked terrible against a sub par UNH squad. They will have their hands full the next two weeks against much better URI and Towson squads. Looking very possible that they finish 7-4 and way back in the CAA race. Of all of the schedules left at the top of the CAA, Maine's seems to be the most favorable. Towson seems to be coming back down to earth a bit but I can definitely see them beating JMU because of Flacco. I guess in my incoherent rambling what I'm trying to say is that the CAA is very evenly balanced this year, and not in a good way. No team that I've seen play this year seems built for a deep playoff run.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 08:48 AM
I hate to say this about a fellow CAA power, but we might want to possibly pump the brakes on JMU this year. The last few weeks they haven't been particularly good, and yesterday they looked terrible against a sub par UNH squad. They will have their hands full the next two weeks against much better URI and Towson squads. Looking very possible that they finish 7-4 and way back in the CAA race. Of all of the schedules left at the top of the CAA, Maine's seems to be the most favorable. Towson seems to be coming back down to earth a bit but I can definitely see them beating JMU because of Flacco. I guess in my incoherent rambling what I'm trying to say is that the CAA is very evenly balanced this year, and not in a good way. No team that I've seen play this year seems built for a deep playoff run.

....GOTTAH FACTOR IN.....STRENGTH UH CONFERENCE.....WHIFF.... WHAT HAPPENS IN DUH CONFERENCE.........CAA......WILL BAG DEY'RE USUAL QUOTA...UH PLAYOFF SCALPS......DOUGH.....SOME PLAY-OFF ELIGIBLES.........WON'T HAVE MUCH HAIR...........BRAWK!

katss07
November 4th, 2018, 08:51 AM
....GOTTAH FACTOR IN.....STRENGTH UH CONFERENCE.....WHIFF.... WHAT HAPPENS IN DUH CONFERENCE.........CAA......WILL BAG DEY'RE USUAL QUOTA...UH PLAYOFF SCALPS......DOUGH.....SOME PLAY-OFF ELIGIBLES.........WON'T HAVE MUCH HAIR...........BRAWK!
Sorry Chicken. Gate is gonna kill all of them.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Sorry Chicken. Gate is gonna kill all of them.

....ROAD TA FRISCO.....RUNS DOWN SOUFF COLLEGE AVENUE.....IFIN' 'GATE DOESN'T MISS DUH EXIT........THEIR....STEEL CAGE DEFENSIVE RUMBLERS......MIGHT.......SEND....ETHAN......TA DUH SEMI-PROS..xlolx....DOODLE-DOO!

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2018, 09:02 AM

I think you kind of answered your question as 25 teams really want those 10 spots

KPSUL
November 4th, 2018, 09:06 AM

You're politicking a bit too hard here. There are enough games involving the current one and two loss CAA teams to sort all this thoroughly out by the evening of November 17th. The cream will rise to the top, personally I hope it is you guys, but that remains to be seen.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2018, 09:09 AM
All I know is that Maine has gone 3-1 in their last 4 CAA games.......with 3 of those 4 being on the road. AWK!

how do you know all of that after just coming out of hybernation yesterday.... Despite having a good year up to date, the Bears are out of the cave this morning

Daytripper
November 4th, 2018, 09:14 AM
La.ar deserves to 25 consideration this week. Nobody in the Southland is playing

Daytripper
November 4th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Nobody in the Southland is playing better than Lamar. They deserve top 25 consideration.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 09:18 AM
....C'MON JEFFY.......DOES UH BEAR.....____.....IN DUH WOODS?.........DOODLE-DOO!

Come on Leghorn Foghorn....just name them then!

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 09:25 AM
You're politicking a bit too hard here. There are enough games involving the current one and two loss CAA teams to sort all this thoroughly out by the evening of November 17th. The cream will rise to the top, personally I hope it is you guys, but that remains to be seen.

As long as we get as much credit for beating Towson at their place as Delaware got for beating Towson in Newark.......and for beating URI at URI while Delaware lost to URI at home.

Yes they beat Elon.....who Maine plays in 2 weeks. Peace.

BEAR
November 4th, 2018, 09:26 AM
The SLC is eating each other alive. The typical power teams are rebuilding and struggling. The typical mid to lower teams (minus HBU) are excelling. Lamar's and IWU have made great strides. That's great for the conference. I can see the conference getting 3 teams in yearly if it keeps up this track because I don't see UCA, SHSU, Nicholls, or McNeese rebuilding EVERY year.

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 09:32 AM

.......CREAM...IS NOT DUH OWN-LAH THING........DAT FLOATS......YAY! MAINE!.......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Come on Leghorn Foghorn....just name them then!

....GO BACK...AN' READ....SUM....UH.......YOUSE NEW ENGLAND RAMBLIN'S....IN OTHERAH THREADS....YA SEEM TA KNOW....'BOUT 'EM..........BAH DUH WAY.......HAD UH BEAR CLAW......FO' BREAKFAST......JES' LIKE ELON...IN COUPLE WEEKS.............BRAWKHAHAHA!!

WestCoastAggie
November 4th, 2018, 10:24 AM
So are you all keeping James Madison high in the polls or nah?

Has the CAA caught up to the almighty MVFC?

Can UC-Davis play with NDSU?

Professor Chaos
November 4th, 2018, 10:27 AM

I've been saying for a while now that this year the CAA has been as good or better than the MVFC if you look at teams 1-7 or so. I still think the CAA has a good chance to become the first league to ever put 6 teams into the playoffs this year.

Lorne_Malvo
November 4th, 2018, 11:06 AM

No, no and no.

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 11:07 AM

Are they in the T10 potentially, but are they in the T15, yes. I feel like anywhere between 8-12 is where they should fall.

The following teams:
-NDSU
-UC-Davis
-KSU
-WSU
-EWU
-SDSU
-Elon

above them, but in no particular order though for these 8 teams. Delaware has a case though to be above them as well with Delaware claiming (Elon, Towson, UNH) whereas JMU claiming (SBU) but losses to (Elon and UNH)

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Are they in the T10 potentially, but are they in the T15, yes. I feel like anywhere between 8-12 is where they should fall.

The following teams:
-NDSU
-UC-Davis
-KSU
-WSU
-EWU
-SDSU
-Elon

above them, but in no particular order though for these 8 teams. Delaware has a case though to be above them as well with Delaware claiming (Elon, Towson, UNH) whereas JMU claiming (SBU) but losses to (Elon and UNH)

I really don't get all of the Elon love.

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 11:20 AM

-Dismantling of a Furman team that is supposedly better than UNI.
-Win over JMU without their starting RB
-Win over URI without their starting QB/RB
-Losing Davis Cheek and rebounding for 2 consecutive wins.

They have a better resume compared to Maine. You missed out on JMU, Delaware, and Stony Brook whereas they only missed out on Stony Brook. If you don't get the love for Elon, you probably will not get the love for Elon.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2018, 11:27 AM
So are you all keeping James Madison high in the polls or nah? Nope, it was obvious several weeks ago the Bison were not going to be challenged this year

Has the CAA caught up to the almighty MVFC? were they ever really behind the one hit wonder?, Paul has basically dropped the Wings moniker now as none of them
were good enough to be in the band.... rumor has it Paul has his sights on the Big time has he is tired of playing on the warm up tour

Can UC-Davis play with NDSU? UC Davis would get beat soundly by the #22 ranked team in the Nation, but for now they are #2 in FCS

Answers bolded

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 11:29 AM

Maine and Elon will settle who deserves the love in your last CAA game.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 11:32 AM
-Dismantling of a Furman team that is supposedly better than UNI.
-Win over JMU without their starting RB
-Win over URI without their starting QB/RB
-Losing Davis Cheek and rebounding for 2 consecutive wins.

They have a better resume compared to Maine. You missed out on JMU, Delaware, and Stony Brook whereas they only missed out on Stony Brook. If you don't get the love for Elon, you probably will not get the love for Elon.

LOL.

Furman is 4-4.

Maine has a 2 point win over URi on the road (without their starting RB). Elon has a 3 point win over URI at home.

Maine lost their starting QB during CMU game and for Yale....both Ls.

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Maine and Elon will settle who deserves the love in your last CAA game.

Amen! Hopefully Elon comes in with as highly an inflated ranking as possible.xthumbsupx

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2018, 11:36 AM
LOL.

Furman is 4-4.

Maine has a 2 point win over URi on the road (without their starting RB). Elon has a 3 point win over URI at home.

Maine was beaten on the LOS vs Yale, not sure what this means really, Maine is looking pretty good right now I admit but after the watching alot of the Yale game I'm suprised a bit

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 4th, 2018, 11:37 AM
As long as we get as much credit for beating Towson at their place as Delaware got for beating Towson in Newark.......and for beating URI at URI while Delaware lost to URI at home.

Wow MJ you have changed your tune on this team, remember u had us getting killed by UNHxnodx I don't think we are a top 10 team now, if we win out and the offense continues to improve then possibly. We have a very good defense especially upfront and an improving offense. Let's admit it, the CAA is so balanced that it is difficult to know who the heck is beating who each week. Need to take care of business in Richmond and look forward to senior day at home, a place we havn't been muchxbowx

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 11:39 AM
LOL.

Furman is 4-4.

The Furman joke was tounge-in-cheek (supposedly better than UNI), so clearly that went over your head.

I know Maine lost their starting QB. People have posted before about your missing JMU, but you didn't want to take that. Oh, and what about the William and Mary game? Care to comment on that?

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Wow MJ you have changed your tune on this team, remember u had us getting killed by UNHxnodx I don't think we are a top 10 team now, if we win out and the offense continues to improve then possibly. We have a very good defense especially upfront and an improving offense. Let's admit it, the CAA is so balanced that it is difficult to know who the heck is beating who each week. Need to take care of business in Richmond and look forward to senior day at home, a place we havn't been muchxbowx

Maine fans know what this teams' weakness is......lack of discipline/too many penalties. It has cost us dearly at times. That being said....at this point in the season I start comparing Maine to other teams in contention in the CAA. I'm just not seeing why Delaware/Elon/Towson/Stony Brook are being ranked 10-15 spots above Maine right now. The good thing is that Maine controls their destiny and the playoff selection committee will look at things differently than this CAA Southern flank leaning board. xthumbsupx

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 11:52 AM
The Furman joke was tounge-in-cheek (supposedly better than UNI), so clearly that went over your head.

I know Maine lost their starting QB. People have posted before about your missing JMU, but you didn't want to take that. Oh, and what about the William and Mary game? Care to comment on that?

They laid a turd sandwich....much like JMU did at UNH this past weekend. Maine is 4-0 against "ranked" CAA teams at the time they played them. Shows how much the pollsters know I guess.

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Maine fans know what this teams' weakness is......lack of discipline/too many penalties. It has cost us dearly at times. That being said....at this point in the season I start comparing Maine to other teams in contention in the CAA. I'm just not seeing why Delaware/Elon/Towson/Stony Brook are being ranked 10-15 spots above Maine right now. The good thing is that Maine controls their destiny and the playoff selection committee will look at things differently than this CAA Southern flank leaning board. xthumbsupx

I don't think Towson is going to be keeping that 10-15 spots above Maine this week..

SU DOG
November 4th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Homer YES, but I hven't ranked Samford in a long time. This week, however, I know of one vote at least that this team will get. I may get nauseated in the next week or two, but right now I am ecstatic about how well my Dogs are playing.

McCowboys
November 4th, 2018, 04:20 PM
.....AN' WHILE....KENNESAW STATE.....IS DUH....ENVY UH DUH SOUFF.......WHIFF STRENGTH O' SKED 91..........LET'S PILE ON COLGATE.......WHO'S 79........BRAWK!

Eat Mor Chikn. Moo!

McCowboys
November 4th, 2018, 04:25 PM
The SLC is eating each other alive. The typical power teams are rebuilding and struggling. The typical mid to lower teams (minus HBU) are excelling. Lamar's and IWU have made great strides. That's great for the conference. I can see the conference getting 3 teams in yearly if it keeps up this track because I don't see UCA, SHSU, Nicholls, or McNeese rebuilding EVERY year.

I wish McNeese were rebuilding -- and in a way we are with a bunch of younger players -- but overall I think our team has been in decline the last two or three years.

McCowboys
November 4th, 2018, 04:26 PM
....GO BACK...AN' READ....SUM....UH.......YOUSE NEW ENGLAND RAMBLIN'S....IN OTHERAH THREADS....YA SEEM TA KNOW....'BOUT 'EM..........BAH DUH WAY.......HAD UH BEAR CLAW......FO' BREAKFAST......JES' LIKE ELON...IN COUPLE WEEKS.............BRAWKHAHAHA!!

Someone seems to have his feathers ruffled. xlolx

semobison
November 4th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Damn, just submitted my poll. After the top 4 I thought I had everybody ranked too high. I kept looking at my sheet for better options!

McCowboys
November 4th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Damn, just submitted my poll. After the top 4 I thought I had everybody ranked too high. I kept looking at my sheet for better options!

I submitted my attempt at a reasonable ballot earlier today and was surprised it was not questioned. What a mess! xsmhx

ElCid
November 4th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I had to look long and hard from about 16-25. Not that 3-15 was easy.

Lot's of 5-4 teams out there who have some pretty good wins, and some yucky loses. Hard to rack and stack that mess with a 7-2 or 6-3 team who may have an apparently easier SOS.

But I am confident we will have a good poll as usual.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Princeton knocking at the Door,

Tigers ringing the bell, do me a favor

open the door and Let em In the top 10

(name that tune) haha

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Not sure what all the drama is about. So the FCS has more parity this season....more 2 and 3 loss teams....less undefeated and 1 loss teams. Big whoop! They still need to be ranked.

Missingnumber7
November 4th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Ok so I know its a conference game but losing to a 2-6 football team is something that shouldn't happen if you proclaim to be a top team.

HensRock
November 4th, 2018, 08:28 PM

Good thing Delaware avoided William & Mary! Phew!

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Good thing Delaware avoided William & Mary! Phew!

You didn’t avoid URI though......and it was a home game for you guys.

dewey
November 4th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Princeton knocking at the Door,

Tigers ringing the bell, do me a favor

open the door and Let em In the top 10

(name that tune) haha

Wherever Princeton is ranked Dartmouth shouldn't be too far behind.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
November 4th, 2018, 08:44 PM

Dewey

Anything more than 3 would be too much IMO. I have them separated by 2 for reference.

HensRock
November 4th, 2018, 08:48 PM
You didn’t avoid URI though......and it was a home game for you guys.

So you already mentioned. That was week ONE, btw. Folks seem to forget this.
Your loss to the Tribe was in Week EIGHT !

Observer2
November 4th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Maine lost to W&M? I had missed that result. That is crazy.

cx500d
November 4th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Holy **** - 2 posts in 8 years!

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2018, 09:30 PM

Dewey

agree, if you would of told me a year ago that I would be watching and entertained by an Ivy league game I would of laughed, to bad they dont participate with the rest of FCS in playoffs

dewey
November 4th, 2018, 09:31 PM

Don't forget that Maine also lost to Yale 35-14.
First Downs
Yale 22 Maine 13

Turnovers
Yale 3 Maine 0

Total yards
Yale 396 Maine 264

Yale ~35 Maine ~25

Dewey

dewey
November 4th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Ok so I know its a conference game but losing to a 2-6 football team is something that shouldn't happen if you proclaim to be a top team.

I assume you are talking about JMU losing to New Hampshire. FWIW UNH is now 3-6 and their stud quarterback Knight missed a big part of the beginning of the season.

If that was JMU's only loss I wouldn't be concerned. The fact that they lost to Elon, eeked one out against Stony Brook and got boat raced by UNH.

JMU had 6 turnovers in their loss to UNH and their quarterback was benched. That is a lot of turnovers...not as many as SDSU but still a lot:-)

JMU ran the ball 37 times for 64 yards for a 1.7 YPC.

If I am a JMU fan I am very concerned about that lack of offense.

Dewey

Observer2
November 4th, 2018, 09:55 PM

I'm back, baby!

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 10:16 PM
So you already mentioned. That was week ONE, btw. Folks seem to forget this.
Your loss to the Tribe was in Week EIGHT !

We also beat #11 Towson at their place in Week 10!

mainejeff
November 4th, 2018, 10:18 PM

What's even crazier is #2 JMU getting creamed at UNH!

Tribe4SF
November 5th, 2018, 07:18 AM
The CAA is a nut cracker this year. Every team is capable of winning any given week. Albany taking UD to the wire is best current evidence. Sans NDSU, the MVFC is pretty much the same.

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 07:25 AM
The CAA is a nut cracker this year. Every team is capable of winning any given week. Albany taking UD to the wire is best current evidence. Sans NDSU, the MVFC is pretty much the same.
JMU did just have a 20+ game CAA win streak snapped so they've had that nut cracked for the last 2+ years until October 2018 rolled around.

KPSUL
November 5th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Almost as crazy as 10,753 in 2 years. You guys should take a cross country car trip together!

phoenix3
November 5th, 2018, 07:49 AM
LOL.

Furman is 4-4.

You also beat a URI team without their starting QB. But as it was said earlier, we’ll have the opportunity to see who’s on top in a couple of weeks.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2018, 07:55 AM

.....AN' UH...CHICKLET........#1.....MUSTAH BEEN SOME POST.................DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

CenMEBlackBearFan
November 5th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Almost as crazy as 10,753 in 2 years. You guys should take a cross country car trip together!

+1xnodx

HensRock
November 5th, 2018, 08:33 AM

In my opinion, it is over-reaction to the JMU win.
Now UNH beat JMU. They must be really good too.
Folks are overlooking what is becoming more and more apparent. Take a look at JMU's schedule. Their "signature" win this season is by 3 points over Stony Brook.

The thing that is holding back Maine, I think, is the head-scratcher at W&M.
I agree with you that UMaine belongs in the mix with Elon/UD/Towson/Stony.

Maine is in the driver's seat for the CAA Autobid, so all you have to do is keep winning.

semobison
November 5th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Folks are overlooking what is becoming more and more apparent. Take a look at JMU's schedule. Their "signature" win this season is by 3 points over Stony Brook.

Maine is in the driver's seat for the CAA Autobid, so all you have to do is keep winning.

Yep, because of JMU's loss this week Elon also dropped a bit in my poll.

Professor Chaos
November 5th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Yep, because of JMU's loss this week Elon also dropped a bit in my poll.
Yep, same for me. I had been keeping Delaware below Elon because I was so impressed with that JMU win I thought it meant Delaware's win over Elon was kind of an anomaly. For me, Delaware was the biggest benefactor of JMU's loss because it put them as the clear #1 in the CAA pecking order for me and I'm higher than most on the CAA in general this year. JMU went from my highest ranked CAA team to my 4th highest ranked CAA team with just that one loss to UNH.

mainejeff
November 5th, 2018, 08:55 AM
You also beat a URI team without their starting QB. But as it was said earlier, we’ll have the opportunity to see who’s on top in a couple of weeks.

Yes....we will. Don't sleep on Towson though. The Tigers have something to play for too and that Flacco is something else! xnodx

hoidOfYolen
November 5th, 2018, 08:58 AM
I get the Elon love in general, we have such a good team, but what I don't get is how high people have them in the polls. It didn't feel like it because we were at home, but we really did squeak by Rhody. Admittedly, we ran the ball suuuuuper well, had good defense for most of the game, and dominated the line of scrimmage. But on the flip side, there were a couple of blown coverages, especially on Aaron Parker, that were just head scratchers. We also had just 2 penalties, for 10 yards. Rhody had twelve (12), for 166 yards. I feel like many of those holding penalties where justified, but if the refs just didn't feel like calling holding on either team that day this could have been a very different game. I feel like these penalties were the deciding factor in the game more than anything, and while there is something to be said about the better team committing fewer penalties, Elon squeaked by this weekend almost on them alone. I think we played great, but I also think we won't be so lucky against teams like Towson and Maine.

Bison56
November 5th, 2018, 09:02 AM

This xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2018, 09:08 AM
I get the Elon love in general, we have such a good team, but what I don't get is how high people have them in the polls. It didn't feel like it because we were at home, but we really did squeak by Rhody. Admittedly, we ran the ball suuuuuper well, had good defense for most of the game, and dominated the line of scrimmage. But on the flip side, there were a couple of blown coverages, especially on Aaron Parker, that were just head scratchers. We also had just 2 penalties, for 10 yards. Rhody had twelve (12), for 166 yards. I feel like many of those holding penalties where justified, but if the refs just didn't feel like calling holding on either team that day this could have been a very different game. I feel like these penalties were the deciding factor in the game more than anything, and while there is something to be said about the better team committing fewer penalties, Elon squeaked by this weekend almost on them alone. I think we played great, but I also think we won't be so lucky against teams like Towson and Maine.

......HOME COOKIN'...............AWK!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 5th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Any voters that have not done so yet please get on it. Less than an hour left to vote.

Missingnumber7
November 5th, 2018, 11:51 AM
I assume you are talking about JMU losing to New Hampshire. FWIW UNH is now 3-6 and their stud quarterback Knight missed a big part of the beginning of the season.

If that was JMU's only loss I wouldn't be concerned. The fact that they lost to Elon, eeked one out against Stony Brook and got boat raced by UNH.

JMU had 6 turnovers in their loss to UNH and their quarterback was benched. That is a lot of turnovers...not as many as SDSU but still a lot:-)

Dewey

JMU has looked very average in the last three weeks in my opinion, I think losing to UNH has to be a wakeup call to this team or they are in real trouble. I think that the level of comp. has caught up to where JMU is right now in the CAA and maybe exceeded it sometimes. Ability and coaching are tangibiles that show themselves on gameday. Talent is something that JMU has leaned on for far to long and they have succeded, however, they are losing recruiting battles and with the new 4 game redshirt rule.

Derby City Duke
November 5th, 2018, 01:27 PM

Dewey

It's why I dropped them completely from my poll -- harsh, but I think it's an objective reflection of their true level of play over the last month. They have no offense. Until now I've always considered Rodney Landers the best QB in JMU history, but it's become increasingly evident that Brian Schor holds that title. JMU brought back a loaded, experienced backfield and most of the O-line. They had some questions on the DL and at LB, but the defense has mostly played lights out -- even without Rashad Robinson missing the season with an injury.

Don't know what's happening in the QB room right now. DiNucci got benched for a guy that was supposed to redshirt (Johnson) which meant former Mr. South Carolina football (Moloney) was the #2 guy. What the h$!! is going on in Harrisonburg?